By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box.
Only the box is a world of its own.
We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.
Want to add a quote? Submit them here!
  1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. It's Activity Check Time! November 1-7
    Click here to save your characters!
  3. The new season is here and there's a whole new world to explore!
    Check out the Season Updates HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Pandora is broken.
    Read More Here!
    Dismiss Notice

A Concerned Acquaintance

Discussion in 'Pandora, Year 1 - 7' started by Genji Shimada, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Genji Shimada

Genji Shimada Overwatch
    To know yourself is to be at peace.

Bodyguard/Ramen Shop Owner
    Race:
    Cyborg
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    @Raphael Santiago

July 10th
    Genji had been keeping up with the news and saw the part about vampire hunters on the rise. Normally it would be something he would have disapproved of, to an extent, but otherwise not get involved simply due to this kind of thing being very much out of his depth. However, his brother was friends with a vampire, that much he knew, and the fact that the vampire that was interviewed for the report was called Santiago made it very easy to connect the dots.

As it so happened, the cyborg and the vampire lived in the same apartment building so it was really just a matter of going down a floor to pay the man a visit. Now, this really wasn't any of his business, Hanzo probably already knew of what was going on and, knowing him, had probably talked to Santiago about it already, but Genji was concerned all the same and decided to offer some help of his own if the vampire was willing to accept it.

He knocked on the door wearing a dark red shirt and white pants, plus a pair of red shoes giving him a somewhat patriotic color scheme, if one didn't count the coloration of his armor, that is. He wasn't sure if the vampire was at home or not, so he decided to just wait for a few minutes and if he wasn't there, well, he could always try again later.

Raphael Santiago likes this.
  2. Raphael Santiago

Raphael Santiago The Mortal Instruments
    the strongest card in the deck is the ace

Tailor
    Race:
    Vampire
    Alignment:
    Lawful Neutral
    Directory:
    link
    I'm hurting.
    So wounded.
    It's gonna tear my soul apart.
    I'm lost in
    my heaven.
    I finally found my way to escape.

The heavy guitar riffs echoed through the flat, though not turned up very loudly. Raphael, after all, had keener ears than mundanes did, right? The Finnish singer's voice wrapped around his head and chest, digging softly into his heart, but not violently so. He had discovered that band only recently, while digging through a record store in Tavoie Borough, and so far, In My Heaven seemed to turn into his favourite track of the album. Maybe. He wasn't entirely sure about it yet.

The day so far had been quite eventless, with Isabelle being at work and himself watching the dog and reading a bit, but he couldn't say he wasn't glad about it. After all, at the moment, everything seemed to stumble over itself and the vampire was glad to catch some calm day in between. Isabelle's dog was sleeping calmly at the end of the couch, while her temporary owner had Cloud Atlas lying in his lap, deeply sunken into the story - until he heard the knock at the door.

Raphael wasn't awaiting anyone, and Isabelle wouldn't send someone to their flat, without telling him about it, right? Slowly, the vampire pushed a bookmark in between the novel's pages and got up; Indigo had curled himself around his neck, creating a beautiful contrast to the light grey shirt his owner wore, and to the black pair of jeans too. Shiloh didn't as much as raise her head, but waited patiently if Raphael would call her or not.

The person on the other side of the door certainly wasn't who the vampire had expected. Hanzo's brother, in a rather casual attire, his aura speaking of relaxation. The last time Raphael had seen him, had been when he'd introduced him to Cayli, the vampire who was covering Hanzo's shifts for now. That had been weeks ago. And, there was a certain uncomfortable hunch sparking up in the pit of his stomach - what if Genji was here to ask about his brother? What was he supposed to tell him then? The firelizard though - he made a greeting noise, sniffing the air curiously.

"Genji." Pushing a smile onto his features, and letting the surprise not turn into a fearful look, Raphael stepped a little aside. "You want to come in?" He closed the door behind him and led him into the living room, nodding towards the couch, where Shiloh was now staring at the new person in the room, subtly wiggling her tail, but staying where she was. "Tea? Coffee?" the vampire asked, halfway into the kitchen already. Trying to not seem as if Genji's presence made him in any way nervous.

#2 Raphael Santiago, Jul 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    Genji Shimada likes this.
  3. Genji Shimada

Genji Shimada Overwatch

Race:
    Cyborg
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    The vampire soon emerged from the apartment, offering Genji a friendly welcome and the cyborg respond with a wave of his hand, accepting the invitation to come inside with a nod and following the vampire inside. Kaida then showed herself, having peeking from behind Genji's shoulder while she was clinging on his back for... reasons. The fire lizard's gaze seemed focused on Raphael's own, clearly the result of some kind of connection between them.

Genji hadn't been aware of Raphael having a dog, but she didn't seem to be aggressive and was even wagging her tail at him, suggesting that she was, in fact, quite friendly. Still, that wasn't the reason for Genji's visit so he simply sat down on the couch and glanced back at Raphael.

"Ah, no. No need for it. I do not plan on staying for long. I just wanted to discuss something with you." Genji replied, Kaida now climbing on his shoulder so he could lean back on the couch without squishing her in the process.

4. Raphael Santiago

Tailor
    Race:
    Vampire
    Alignment:
    Lawful Neutral
    Directory:
    link
    Discuss something.
    That..didn't sound quite as great, but Raphael didn't panic, turning around from his way into the kitchen and joining the other back in the living room where he sat down on an armchair opposite Genji. He let Indigo leave his shoulders and carefully settle down on the back rest of the couch, curiously eyeing his sibling, and making tiny sounds which probably only the two of them would understand. Shiloh wiggled herself closer, sniffing at Genji's knee, before she placed her head on the cyborg's thigh, her tail low-key patting against the couch in hopes of getting ear-scratches from the friendly new person.

"Alright, what is it?" Raphael asked, eyes resting on the other's mask and curiousity echoing from his voice while he took his own mug and sipped on the mint tea he's spiked with some blood for good measures. A small frown curling onto his forehead, he added: "Did something happen? With Cayli?" The woman was not exactly a newly-turned anymore, but she was undeniably the wildest of the clan members, having spent the first three or so months of her new life in the woods, hunting animals to survive. Other than that, she really was a good choice for the job though, otherwise Raphael wouldn't have asked her specifically to cover for Hanzo. And, though there was still a voice whispering fearful thoughts about how this visit was about Genji's brother and not the vampire who'd taken on his shifts, the clan leader played the oblivious for as long as his guest wouldn't mention the archer.

5. Genji Shimada

Genji Shimada Overwatch

Race:
    Cyborg
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    "Ah, no. nothing of that kind." Genji waved off Raphael's question.

Although Hanzo's replacement had proved to be a bit on the unruly side on occasion, it was hardly a disturbance great enough to cause any serious problems. Why Hanzo was already taking another leave so soon after just returning was something that left Genji curious, but it seemed that he found some matters to attend to, rather than getting himself injured again, so that much was a relief.

"I have heard about the situation surrounding your kind and the hunters." Genji leaned forward a little, Kaida making a little noise to reply to Indigo as they had their own little conversation in the meantime. "I just wanted to know if there was anything I could do to help. That is all."

6. Raphael Santiago

Tailor
    Race:
    Vampire
    Alignment:
    Lawful Neutral
    Directory:
    link
    Oh, so this was a mere visit of concern? Raphael raised a surprised eyebrow but didn't make the relief flooding his veins overly obvious. He was glad that Hanzo's mission hadn't come out yet, and he dearly hoped it would stay that way. He also hoped he wouldn't have to keep his promise in the case something went wrong. Of course he'd gladly protect the archer's family and get them out of the city should something happen - but the clan leader didn't want something to happen, because he wouldn't be able to forgive himself for that. Sending Hanzo on an undercover mission for his kind wasn't a question he'd asked lightly, but now that he had, he hoped none of them would regret it in the end.

"Oh. Well. I guess it's hard to miss when it's written into the papers." A small, if not exactly happy chuckle fell from his lips. "But...help? Don't get me wrong, I absolutely appreciate your offer, Genji," Raphael said with his calm, serious voice - and he meant it, too, "I just can't think of anything other than...well, spreading acceptance? Protecting my people where it's needed? Nothing I wouldn't think you're already doing." Because, well, obviously, his brother was already doing a lot for the clan, and having both Shimada brothers infiltrate their ranks would, frankly, be a very stupid and very dangerous idea.

7. Genji Shimada

Genji Shimada Overwatch

Race:
    Cyborg
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    It was true that there wasn't much that could be done about this situation. It wasn't like Genji could just... kill the hunters or anything like that to solve the problem. It was one of the problems with his skillset. He wasn't exactly the kind of person who could deal with serious problems through diplomacy, only through ninja tactics, which involved sneaking around, killing people and potentially stealing something. Not the kind of thing one would want to do when dealing with people who are already in a tight spot in regards to their reputation.

"I understand. I just thought I would leave the offer there, in case you find yourself in need of help." Genji nodded. "Although, I imagine Hanzo must already have talked to you about this as well. I am sure he must be very worried about the situation, even if he might not show it."

Hanzo was never a particularly emotive person, but Genji could see through that poker face of his and be able to tell his true feelings on matters, at least some of the time. Raphael was the first person Genji had seen his brother be so friendly with and for someone to be at this kind of relationship with him, then surely they had earned his loyalty. Besides, there had to be some reason for Raphael to have sent one of his people to stand in his brother's place at the ramen shop, that much was obvious.

8. Raphael Santiago

Tailor
    Race:
    Vampire
    Alignment:
    Lawful Neutral
    Directory:
    link
    Sure. They had talked about this. Even before the papers announced Raphael's being. Because sending Hanzo in afterwards could've raised suspicions and neither of them wanted that. But, the vampire couldn't have possibly told Genji that, could he have now? So, a lie had to be put in place, one that contained a bit of truth, of course, but a lie nonetheless. Raphael might not have been very comfortable with lying, but that didn't mean he was necessarily a bad liar, especially should the situation require it.

"Yes, he.. called me the day the interview was printed, asking if I was alright. If he could help, because he wouldn't 'just sit around while his friend had hunters breathing down his neck'," the vampire said, a small grateful smile slipping into his expression. "I...well, I said it's alright, but you know Hanzo. He can be quite stubborn. And so he said he'd patrol the streets, especially at night, and hang around at the- safehouse we have, in case someone attacks. To which I responded with the offer of sending one of my own to cover his shift, it only seems fair." That...wasn't even that much off. Just. A bit.

A light frown found its way into his face then though, non-obvious fake surprise tinting his voice. "I'm surprised he hasn't told you?"

9. Genji Shimada

Genji Shimada Overwatch

Race:
    Cyborg
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    It sounded excessive but Genji had to appreciate how loyal Hanzo was to Raphael to the point that he was willing to do all that for his and his kind's sake. He might not have been the nicest guy around but nobody could say he didn't care, that much was clear. Still, Genji couldn't help but feel a little annoyed that he had been doing more work at the ramen shop than his brother was, and he was the one who came up with the whole idea. Genji couldn't blame him, at least in this one case, but there was that little selfish part of him getting slightly upset about these recent events.

"Well... Hanzo and I always led different kind of lives without much communication inbetween. We cared for each other, but we were not the kind to have much in the way of contact. Perhaps if things were different back then, our lives would be easier now, but what is done is done." Genji shrugged. "We are improving on that aspect but, as you can see, it is still a work in progress." He chuckled, trying to take the whole thing lightly.

With the main topic of interest dealt with, Genji decided to take this opportunity to engage in a bit of a casual chat with the vampire. They didn't know each other well, so perhaps that could be remedied now.

"If you don't mind me asking, how did the two of you meet? It must be quite the hurdle to become close friends with Hanzo like you have." He spoke in a tone that indicated that he was very much teasing his brother behind his back, not that he wasn't expecting Raphael to be well-aware of that particular aspect of Hanzo's personality by now.

10. Raphael Santiago

Tailor
    Race:
    Vampire
    Alignment:
    Lawful Neutral
    Directory:
    link
    Raphael didn't remember what exactly Hanzo had told him the first time he had talked about his brother - in his defense, they had both been far more drunk than tipsy at that point - but it was something along the lines of Genji probably thinks I'm the biggest loser in the world. because of something that had happened between them. Something Hanzo had never named and something Raphael hadn't asked about. He wasn't about to ask this Shimada brother in front of him either, simply because he didn't think the archer would want that, nor would Genji tell him. Some things better stayed buried, the vampire had learnt as much during last winter.
    "Keep working on it; I can tell you from experience, it's worth it," he gave back genuinely, but left it open to interpretation if he meant the experiences with Hanzo, or the ones with my siblings. Perhaps it was both anyway.

With that, the topic seemed done with and the clan leader would've breathed a sigh of relief, if that wouldn't have been too obvious. Instead an amused smile found its way onto his lips. "Dios, don't ask - it's a horribly embarrassing story." But, of course; usually he wouldn't have continued, or far less likely, but this time, he wanted to use every chance to divert Genji's attention away from the current things going on behind closed doors. "No, it was just-- I...was working on getting over a heartbreak, and met him outside the hotel I was staying in. And, well, I just asked if he wanted to keep me company for a night and offered to cook something for him. He agreed, and we got terribly drunk. I don't remember a lot of the rest of the night." He chuckled softly, and shook his head.

11. Genji Shimada

Genji Shimada Overwatch

Race:
    Cyborg
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    "Trust me, I have been working on this for far too long to stop now." There was a hint of exasperation to Genji's tone, As much as he loved his brother, he was one stubborn mule when he wanted to be and just getting him to accept the cyborg as he was now took a long time.

The story about how Raphael and Hanzo came to meet each other was... odd. Genji had never heard of someone inviting random strangers to their house just to help deal with heartbreak. He supposed that was a way to keep himself distracted but... well, what came out of it was a friendship for Hanzo and knowing how difficult it is for his brother to interact like a normal human being, he couldn't complain about the result.

"You have an... interesting way of dealing with heartbreak." Genji commented with a hint of amusement in his tone. He was just teasing the vampire a little, not really meaning anything with it other than poke fun at the absurdity of the situation.