By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box.
Only the box is a world of its own.
We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.
Want to add a quote? Submit them here!
  1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Summer is here!
    Check out the Season Updates HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Have a nice day, Guest!
    Dismiss Notice

Private A Dangerous Fetch Quest

Discussion in 'Dread Wastes' started by Lance McClain, May 18, 2019.

1. May 21st, Year 108- Edge of Dusk Forests
    @Dust

Today, Lance was Starfleet's errand boy. He wasn't too happy about it, but blowing off his commander's orders was kind of a dumb move, so he got on with the "mission" to hunt down an unknown carrier vessel that managed to crash in the Dread Wastes. For all Starfleet knew, it contained dangerous materials that shouldn't be available for criminals to scavenge, or could even be toxic in nature. It was his job to either secure or destroy the carrier's cargo. It should've been easy, but the stupid ship had landed in the woods, and his sonar was having a hard time pinpointing the exact location. He'd have to go down on foot to spot this thing.

The Blue Lion landed in a small clearing of the Duck Woods, and Lance disembarked in his paladin uniform, blue bayard in hand for his protection. As soon as its pilot was gone, the Blue Lion went on lock down and summoned a particle barrier around itself, preventing entry. Lance looked back at it one last time before starting off into the woods. From overhead, he'd seen some smoke from what could possible been the wreck, and it was further north. He'd just start hiking that way and hope he stumbled onto it.

"This'll be easy..." he said to himself, steadying his nerves as he entered the forest. His helmet's visor allowed him to see through the trees well enough, so he wasn't going to get turned around too easily, but there were a lot of creepy sounds coming from the beasts that probably lived here. "Just gotta walk in a straight line, no exploring. Find the ship, call Blue, then we get out of here..."

Dust likes this.
  2. Dust

Dust Dust: An Elysian Tail

Adventurer
    Race:
    Warmblood
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

"I thought you said everything here was a desert, Dust," Fidget said as the trio ventured further into the woods.

"That's what I thought too," Dust replied, "I guess I just never had a reason to come down here before."

"Yeah, well now all we have is a dumby who thinks exploring danger ruins with only one other person is a good idea, so I don't think we have a good reason now."

While Dust couldn't say he disagreed, exactly, that didn't stop him from accepting the job from the hysterical man in Lethe who was desperate to find someone willing to find his missing partner. Of course, Dust was the only person willing to do something so dangerous without any promise of payment, so they quickly found out where the disastrous attempt at an expedition was held and started looking.

The trees overhead was at least good at keeping the sun from beating down on the group, even though that meant it'd be easy to get lost inside. Fortunately, Ahrah was there to make sure he wasn't getting turned around or anything, and Fidget could always get some air for a better look if necessary.

The group had barely started exploring the woods when Ahrah suddenly announced, "Dust, I sense something very powerful has just landed nearby."

"Ah! Is it a monster?!" Fidget demanded, flying in a more erratic pattern.

"It does not feel quite alive like either of you, or a monster."

"Are you saying it's another intelligent weapon, like you?"

"Yes, and the one it has bonded to appears to be approaching. I do not sense any desire to fight, so it would be wise to approach without showing yourself as a threat."

By then, the sound of footsteps approaching caused Dust to turn around and face the human who was also there. Unsure of what to actually do in this situation, he hesitantly said, "uh... hi?"

Lance McClain likes this.
  3. Lance shoved his way through some bushes and grumbled under his breath, only to look up and see...a cat man wearing people clothes with a scary looking sword. And was that a flying fox...? Were they aliens? He knew a few alien races kinda looked like earth creatures. Did they live here and was he walking around in their territory? He froze until Dust said hello, and then took a step back, holding his hands up to not seem like a threat. His bayard was still in his hand, though he didn't turn it into a weapon yet.

"H-hey there!" he said to them. "I'm not gonna hurt anyone, just a guy from outer space...passing through to find something I lost around here. Don't mind me..." Lance grinned at them. Hopefully that wasn't gonna get him chopped in half by the cat warrior. He really didn't wanna have a sword duel out here.

Dust likes this.
  4. Dust

Adventurer
    Race:
    Warmblood
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

Dust didn't need Ahrah to tell him that the human was somewhat scared of them, not that he could understand why. They were just standing there, and he was assuming that they would be hostile if he made one wrong move.

One of Dust's ears lowered in confusion as he replied, "alright. Good. Glad to hear it? We're actually here looking for someone lost around here."

Fidget, always focused on what mattered, butted in. "Wait, where's outer space? Is that a region we haven't visited yet?"

5. "Oh you're just looking around? I thought you lived here, my bad!" Lance said, laughing his earlier tenseness off. They were just travelers, not crazy criminals. He didn't see any tags on them. "Uh...outer space is...space. You know, up there, where the stars are?" Lance used his bayard to point at the sky, and then a strange engine sound echoed from the surrounding woods. Something was coming towards them, pushing their way noisily through the bushes and tree branches. "I knew something else was out here!" His bayard shifted into a blue and white laser rifle, and he raised the gun at the source of the noise. A sleek looking robot, about 6 feet tall with tank treads for legs, rolled into the clearing. Its "eyes" glowed red, and it raised an arm and fired a round of bullets at the group.

"All intruders will be destroyed." It said in an emotionless, clearly automated voice. Lance threw himself to the side to avoid the initial volley, and then summoned his translucent shield from his other arm to duck behind.

Dust likes this.
  6. Dust

Adventurer
    Race:
    Warmblood
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

The human calmed down rather quickly when they explained what they were there for, which was good. Something was telling Dust that there was going to be some resistance getting the lost human. The less unnecessary fighting the better.

Fidget follewed his hands as he pointed at the sky, softly muttering, “but how...?”

Whatever question she was going to ask ended up not mattering when something started smashing through the undergrowth. She pointed at the thing and cried, “what is that?!”

“That’s what’s keeping our target here,” Dust identified. There wasn’t much time after that to talk, Dust had to immediately jump out of the way of the thing’s bullets. The human had some sort of shield, but all Dust had was reflexes and his friends. So, while the thing was distracted by the human, he gestured for Fidget.

Lightning arced from his friend’s mouth, which hit Ahrah as Dust was spinning him, splitting it into pieces that them moved onto the robot.

7. The robot focused its firepower on Lance's shield, ignoring Dust until it was too late to dodge the lightning. It shuddered as it was struck, and Lance stuck his shield into the dirt as makeshift cover. He peeked out and fired a salvo of laser blasts back, havily damaging the sentry. It sparked and glitched out, but not too far in the distance, it sounded like more of them were coming.

"Of course this wasn't gonna be easy!" Lance complained. His rifle extended into scoped mode, and he counted 5 more sentry robots about to arrive. This sowrd guy had some good reflexes, so maybe they'd all make it out of here in one piece. "Here they come..." The robots emerged from the trees, two more wielding powerful guns, while the other three had glowing electric blades and spears. He shot at them again, partially damaging one.

Dust likes this.
  8. Dust

Adventurer
    Race:
    Warmblood
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

"Why do we always have to go places with big monsters that want to kill us?" Fidget complained as the first sentry started to collapse, "can't we go somewhere nice for a change?"

Dust took a breath as he stopped using Dust Storm before sarcastically replying, "what, you don't think this is scenic?"

"Dust, more, incoming," Ahrah warned before Fidget could get another word in. Immediately, he went back to defensive mode, waiting for the sentries to start getting closer before gesturing to Fidget to send another lightning bolt.

This time, however, he jumped before he could and started sailing through the air as a teal tornado of death, deflecting attacks before they could get to him and sending more lightning their way. This did end up putting him right in the middle of the group, but he was ready to dodge whatever might be coming his way.

9. He stopped shooting his gun to watch Dust leap up and strike back against the machines, handling their projectiles with a sword and more of his lightning magic. reminded him of the crazy stuff people did with Quintessence, actually. While the lightning did stun the pack of robots, they weren't as damaged and were ready to retaliate.

"Hold on, I'm coming!" Lance fired a charged shot straight through one of the gun wielding robots' head, downing it instantly, and then boosted over to help Dust using the jets built into his paladin armor. His rifle glowed and took the form of a longsword, and Lance cleaved the other gun drone in half. The last three robots tried to slash and stab at Dust while Lance pulled his blade free.

Dust likes this.
  10. Dust

Adventurer
    Race:
    Warmblood
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

Dust almost lost his concentration when Lance suddenly announced he was coming and vaulted over to where he was. It seemed much faster than just cartwheeling like Dust did, although maybe a bit too fast. It'd probably make him lose his hat.

There wasn't much time to talk, so Dust just grunted a thanks as Lance took out one of the robots before turning back to the ones targeting him. He'd spent a lot of time fighting (his entire life, really), so he wasn't too worried when they started coming for him.

Two of the slices were dodged handily as Dust cartwheeled deftly away. The third, Dust waited for. Just as it was bringing its sword down on his head, Dust lifted Ahrah to parry the blow, throwing the robot off enough for Dust to start cutting it down.

11. The robot Dust parried was unable to counter attack and was sliced into barely functioning scrap. Lance freed his Altean sword and joined in, slashing a second drone's arm off before kicking it to the ground. He followed up with a downward stab into the drone's "chest", finishing it off. The third security drone lunged at Dust, undeterred by the almost lost battle.

"Intruders are not allowed!" it insisted.

Dust likes this.
  12. Dust

Adventurer
    Race:
    Warmblood
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

The fight was going well for them, even if the last robot disagreed. Apparently, it felt like explaining exactly why it was trying to kill them, which was polite, Dust supposed.

There wasn't much time to think about that, though. Dust quickly cartwheeled back a bit, which put him just outside the robot's range. He then leaped at the thing, slashing at whatever he could hit in the moment.

13. "I-i-intrud-d-ers no-t-t a-a-a-llowed..." the robot stuttered out as Dust cut it apart. It shuddered and fell to pieces, its eyes going dark. Lance yanked his blade out of the robot he defeated, and his weapon switched back to its gun form.

"I don't think we should stick around here unless we wanna get swarmed by those guys," he said as he checked their surroundings with his rifle scope. He lowered his gun and pointed in the direction the signal he was looking for had been. "Let's get moving, I saw some kind of city over there. That's where the thing I need landed." Assuming that Dust and his allies would follow if they wanted to, Lance sprinted off deeper into the woods. He wasn't too worried about losing track of the Blue Lion, since he could call it to him with a mental command.

Dust likes this.
  14. Dust

Adventurer
    Race:
    Warmblood
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

Dust panted softly as the robot finally stopped moving. That was very different from anything he'd fought before, but he was determined to keep moving, no matter how dangerous. At least Fidget's magic seemed effective.

"Agreed," he said to Lance, "that should be where the human we're looking for should be hiding. Hopefully he'll know to trust us when we find him."

"Well, if he won't trust us, he'll probably trust another human, so we should be fine!" Fidget cheered. Privately, Dust couldn't help but think that might be a bit naive, but he decided not to press it. He wasn't sure if he trusted those instincts quite yet.