By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box.
Only the box is a world of its own.
We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.
Want to add a quote? Submit them here!
  1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. It's Activity Check Time! November 1-7
    Click here to save your characters!
  3. The new season is here and there's a whole new world to explore!
    Check out the Season Updates HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Pandora is broken.
    Read More Here!
    Dismiss Notice

A flower blooms more than once

Discussion in 'Pandora, Year 1 - 7' started by Chise Hatori, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Chise Hatori

Chise Hatori The Ancient Magus' Bride
    Dearest Child of the Night

Apothecary Clerk
    Race:
    Human/Sleigh Beggy
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    @Nancy Whitman

December 6th
    The people at the shelter had been nice to Chise. She needed to stay somewhere for her short stay in Pandora Town and when she went there they seemed relieved that she was all right, at least the ones that recognized her. Now, seeing how winter had started and Chise didn't have many wardrobe options, they were kind enough to offer her some money so she could buy some winter clothing.

And so there was her, looking through many different shops in search of good options for herself. The streets were busy today, probably because Christmas was getting closer and closer. It was odd how right before having been taken to Pandora she had been at Christmas' Eve, but now it felt like she had gone back in time about two months and now had to see it all happening again.

At first, Chise wasn't too sure of what to buy, the money she was given was limited, she had to make sure what she was going to buy for herself was both warm and also something that pleased her from a visual standpoint. She wanted to cover as much ground as she could before making her decision, which led to a lot of window shopping from her part and a slow realization that at this rate she was going to spend the entire day without buying anything.

The chilling winter wind that struck her from time to time served as a reminder that she really needed to at least buy one set of clothes that could keep her warmer than this. Or at the very least a coat. Thankfully, it hadn't started snowing yet, but she had heard that there was a good chance of snowfall that day. She had to race against the weather, and yet all she was doing was stare at the mannequins of one of the many stores from the outside.

Nancy Whitman likes this.
  2. I'm sorry for the delay! But here it is, finally. c:
    Admitted, Nancy could've felt worse. It had been the right decision to give the incriminating evidence to Mr Santiago, instead of letting the police handle it. Working as a coroner's assistant surely had its advantages, it seemed, and sometimes one person within the law system had to do what was right instead of what was lawful. Raphael's fledgling and he were safe now, and didn't have to leave town because the evidence proved that he had killed that other vampire to safe his newly-turned vampire child; human police would've asked very wrong questions and they wouldn't have given him the benefit of the doubt, surely. The times seemed harsh and dangerous for his kind - if Nancy could help him at least in some way, she would gladly be doing it.

...Okay, that was making it sound way easier than it actually was, but still.

Now, that the winter was coming upon the box, the ghostly teen wanted to get herself a new wardrobe. The first paycheck from her work at the clinic had arrived a few days ago, almost shocking her; how was she supposed to spend that money in any way? All of it, anyway. A new coat and gloves and a scarf and maybe some pair of boots, was definitely a good way to start, she found, and having a bit more money at hand couldn't hurt if she didn't start spending it on stupid stuff she didn't even need.

A warm pumpkin spice latte in hand, the teen was walking down Riverstreet, heading towards the first clothing shop she could find, when she suddenly stopped. The fire lizard on her shoulder peeked his head upwards to see what she was looking at, but went back to his nap when he realized it was 'just' someone Nancy had recognized - uninteresting for a lizard, right?

Nancy though, stepped up to the girl who looked like she had to be freezing. "Hey-" The sentence paused there, cut off as the teen was trying to remember the mage's name.
    No. No, she didn't-
    Instead of having a super awkward pause that would've made it obvious that she couldn't remember anymore, Nancy continued: "You were at the Samhain festivities, right? In Misty Hollow." A small smile appeared on her lips; the memories of that night had been thrown into a chest in the back of her mind and she wouldn't get them back out so soon, probably. But that teenage girl? Yeah, she had been nice, complimenting her on her dress before everything went to hell.

Chise Hatori likes this.
  3. Chise Hatori

Apothecary Clerk
    Race:
    Human/Sleigh Beggy
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    At first, Chise didn't think that the voice she heard was directed at her, but then when she noticed someone approaching she finally looked. Her eyes widened as she recognized the person standing in front of her as being from the Samhain event and, indeed, so did she.

"Y-Yes." Chise nodded, then offering a smile to the girl. "You're... Nancy, right? Do you live in this town?" She asked in an attempt at small talk, distracting herself from the cold she was feeling although she was quite evidently shriking upon herself.

Chise wasn't expecting to find many familiar people in the town, except for Arcade, who she personally went looking for. This was a pleasant, if a little untimely surprise, but seeing as how Nancy had been friendly to her before, maybe she could help Chise with choosing new, warmer clothes for herself.

4. Thank her Lord and Lady, the other girl did recognize her. It would've been very much embarrassing, if not. "I work here, but I live at the Schola near Cascade Bay. The magic school." And I'm wandering around the woods with Bellamy on a regular basis, too, but that isn't exactly answering the question, is it now?

Seeing as she apparently remembered Nancy's name, Nancy felt a lot more awful than before. It wasn't as if the other hadn't been a nice company, or worth getting remembered - far from it; but names.. Until finally, something clicked. Chise, wasn't it?

"You're..out here for shopping too? I was thinking about spending my first paycheck on some winter clothes."
    Nancy was actually proud that she was able to say that and mean it. Back home, she hadn't needed to work, being at the boarding school and all, but here, she might as well, seeing how there was nobody else to pay for her. Besides Sweeney, but, she didn't wanna ask him for everything.

Chise Hatori likes this.
  5. Chise Hatori

Apothecary Clerk
    Race:
    Human/Sleigh Beggy
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    Schola? That was the first time Chise had heard anything about it. She had never been to Cascade Bay herself, so that was probably the reason why. Still, she wondered what exactly that was and why Nancy would be living there instead of just having her own place. Well, everyone had their reasons.

Chise's mind was taken off of the matter when Nancy asked if she was going shopping too. Right, that was the thing she was out in town in the cold for and from the sounds of it, so was Nancy. Maybe this could be a good opportunity, similar to how Chise had gone Christmas shopping with Alice before being taken to Pandora. The two of them had become friends in the process, so maybe something like that could happen here as well?

"Yes... Ever since I got here in Pandora I never really had much money. I came back to this town to settle a problem I ended up causing and the people in the shelter were nice enough to offer me some money so I could get myself some warm clothes for the season." She began looking a little embarrassed before she made her confession. "I... don't really have a varied wardrobe right now."

6. Sympathy slowly slipped into Nancy's features. Gods, she herself had been glad to have met Bellamy and then Sweeney, who seemed to care enough for a ghostly girl with no money and weird powers to not let her run around without clothes; what Chise was going through right now, felt familiar to Nancy.

What kind of problem the other had caused, the ghostly girl didn't ask about. Since coming into this box, Nancy too had done very much not legal things, and she too didn't wanna talk about them; the fact that Chise didn't specify that more, was more than evidently a sign that it couldn't be something nice and fluffy.

"Hey, no need to be embarrassed. Pandora's not exactly- helpful to newly-arrived teenagers." Nancy didn't exactly have a sunny personality, but even she managed a genuinely friendly smile to accompany her words. "You- wanna go with me? I wanted to start there." Pointing towards a shop down the street, the teen cocked her head, waiting for a reply. Having some company while going shopping, might not even be a bad idea - and Chise looked like she could need the company too.

Hopefully, this wouldn't end like the afternoon with John Silver had...

Chise Hatori likes this.
  7. Chise Hatori

Apothecary Clerk
    Race:
    Human/Sleigh Beggy
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    Nancy's words made Chise wonder if the girl had gone through similar experiences as her when she first arrived in Pandora. She was right, after all, teenagers like them would have a harder time surviving in Pandora than most adults, seeing as suddenly being stripped from your family and friends and thrown in a world like this would have a stronger effect on them.

Well, for most teenagers anyway. Chise was used to not having friends or family with her and even if Elias, Ruth and Silky grew to be her family eventually, she still hadn't gotten to live with them for very long before Pandora took her. Still, Chise knew for a fact that she wasn't a strong person, she wouldn't have survived for very long if it wasn't for John deciding to take her in, she was pretty sure of that.

Suddenly Nancy asked if Chise would want to accompany her in a shopping trip. It caught the redhead a little offguard that she would offer that, but it was something she was hoping for anyway. She just wasn't expecting Nancy to be the one to take initiatve about it.

"Oh, um... Sure. I would love to." Chise smiled. It would be much easier to get all this done if she was with someone else to help her during it, even if Nancy's fashion sense looked to be different from hers.

Chise began heading towards the shop that Nancy pointed to and as she went, she realized that back at Samhain she had never gotten the opportunity to introduce herself, thanks to everything going south soon after they met.

"My name is Chise, Chise Hatori. It's nice to see you again, Nancy." Hopefully this time they would get to talk to each other without something getting in the way, but at the same time, Chise knew she didn't exactly have the best luck when it came down to that.

8. The shop Nancy had pointed to, as small as it seemed from the outside, went far into the building, making up in depth what it lost in width. Soft, classical music was playing in the background, filling the room with life as the outsideworld seemed to vanish from existence, once they had stepped through the door. It was warm inside, the room being illuminated by fairy lights and an old-fashioned chandelier hanging from the ceiling.

Nancy took off the jeans jacket she wore, after she had softly nudged her lizard awake, and stuffed it into her shoulder bag. Underneath, a loose black sweater was warming her up a bit. Minu eyed the spiky studs applied to the shoulders, but decided, he could still sleep on there, as long as he would wrap himself tightly around her neck, which was, what he did then. Nancy petted him absentmindedly for a second. The pumpkin spice latte was almost empty anyway, so she sipped the last bits of it and threw the cup into a trash bin near the door.

"Did- John not introduce you?" Nancy raised a confused, and slightly surprised eyebrow. She could've sworn he had. "But yes. Nancy. Nancy Whitman. Hopefully this one won't end in tears and bloodshed." For what she said, her voice might've sounded a bit too calm, especially considering how- horrifying of an experience it had turned into for her in the end. Still, she didn't want to drag the mood down. So, instead, she tried a smile and gestured invitingly around the room.

On the shelves, an abundant amount of utterly different shirts could be seen, ranging from blouses and very glittery flower-print tee-shirts, over basic unicoloured tank-tops and bandshirts, to lumberjack shirts and very much more fancy, asymmetrically-cut sweaters. They had a lot of different dresses and jeans too, hanging on racks scattered across the room, joined by skirts and shorts. "The winter clothes like coats and jackets are upstairs, last I've checked, the shoes are downstairs. It's all second-hand, which, I assume, works well in this world." Nancy commented, obviously not mocking the concept, but rather liking it. It was kind of ironic, wasn't it?

"What do you wanna look at first?" Gazing at her company, the teen smiled somewhat encouragingly.

#8 Nancy Whitman, Feb 22, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2018
    Chise Hatori likes this.
  9. Chise Hatori

Apothecary Clerk
    Race:
    Human/Sleigh Beggy
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    Once they got inside the store, Chise looked around just to take in the aesthetics of the place. It was a different shop from what she was used to from back at her home in Japan, or even the shops she visited alongside Alice in London. It felt like it was some kind of ballroom, with a chandelier hanging on the ceiling and classical music playing in the background. It clashed enough with what she had been seeing outside that it felt like they weren’t even in Pandora Town anymore.

"Um… No, I don’t think so. John… tends to skip the formalities." Chise giggled sofly, glad that Nancy was thinking along the same lines as her regarding their expectancies towards this meeting.

Nancy began explaining where things were located in the store, or rather, the things that weren’t already in sight for the two of them. The important part was the winter clothing, which were upstairs. If Chise wanted to make it through winter without getting sick, she was going to need warmer clothes than the one set she was brought to Pandora in.

"Actually, I really need to get warmer clothes. Winter here in Pandora has been pretty cold so far." Now that she thought about it, maybe it wasn’t winter yet, but if it wasn’t then the weather was definitely building up to it. "I can check them by myself, if you’re looking for something else." She added, not wanting to waste Nancy’s time.

10. Chise's giggle echoed through the air and Nancy found it a pretty sound, fitting the person it was coming from. She had an eye for aesthetics, and her company fit right into the ghostly girl's type of aesthetic she liked. With her red hair and the soft smile and her cute giggles.

"Yeah, I don't think I've ever experienced a Winter as cold as the weather forecast said this one will be," Nancy agreed. "I love the Winter, usually, but I'm really beginning to fear how cold it can get in Pandora." She had always been a Winter child, which was great since she was born during Winter too, yet there was a point at which it got too cold, even for her. When the snow wasn't fun, but only nuisance anymore.

The music flawlessly transitioned into the next piece when the ghostly teen already made her way towards the stairs. "No, I need clothes for the Winter too. I'm coming with you." Besides, she actually wanted to take the chance to get to know the other a bit better, when it wasn't about faes and spells and people dying. "Anything in particular you're looking for? A coat? Scarves or gloves?"

Chise Hatori likes this.
  11. Chise Hatori

Apothecary Clerk
    Race:
    Human/Sleigh Beggy
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    Was it really that much colder in Pandora than it was in other places? Chise had gotten used to the temperature in England, but maybe Nancy was from somewhere where winter wasn’t too bad usually. Or maybe this was just a “warm” winter day in Pandora, both were entirely plausible.

Whatever it may be, Nancy wanted to get some warmer clothes for herself as well, which Chise was glad for, as she appreciated the company, but didn’t want to inconvenience the girl by making her have to wait. When it came down to what exactly she was looking for, however, Chise found herself a little stumped.

"Hmm, well, some coats, a scarf, pants, boots… Honestly, almost everything that’s good for winter." Chise admitted, a little embarrassed about just how unprepared she was, but there was no helping it.

12. Nancy didn't want to pretend she knew a lot about fashion or what went well with another piece; she had her own style, black and white and pomegranate and recently a bit more purple too, but she knew just as well that Chise seemed to like different things. At least from the colour scheme she was dressed in. Kade surely would've found something for her to wear within seconds, up in the attic of their school where bags and suitcases full of clothes were lying around. Chise would've loved that, Nancy hoped.

Still, the ghostly girl regarded her company with a critical yet warm look, before reaching into the next-best clothes rack - one of the round ones they had standing around here, scattered all across the room - and pulling two deeply red coats out of the midst of their neighbours. One of them was buttoned down to the beltline and decorated with the outlines of tiny, black leaves; the other could be knotted shut with a fabric belt and had a pretty tall collar. "I think you're more of an autumn type, colour-wise, sooo-- What do you think of those two?" Nancy asked, smiling at Chise.

Chise Hatori likes this.
  13. Chise Hatori

Apothecary Clerk
    Race:
    Human/Sleigh Beggy
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    It didn’t take very long for Nancy to start making a search for clothes, while Chise was still lost at where to even start looking. The sheer amount of options was overwhelming and made the fact she was unprepared for this even more apparent. She looked at her surrounding, trying to find anything that could catch her eye, but she barely got to do that before Nancy returned.

Autumn, that was what Nancy thought suited her best. It was a little funny, given how Chise herself was a winter child, having been born in January, but at the same time, she found it hard to argue against it. Unlike John and Nancy, Chise was someone with a preference for warmer colors, which suited her brightly colored red hair, although she was also fond of some black herself, just not as the main color. Wouldn’t that make her more of a summer person instead of autumn? Well, it didn’t matter.

"This one is beautiful, Nancy…" She reached out and grabbed the coat that had the black leaves on them, which reminded her a little of Elias, even though it would’ve been more appropriate if they were thorns. "Thank you." She gave Nancy a more cheerful smile.

14. At least Chise deemed Nancy's sense of fashion good enough to accept the coat - one of them, rather - she was suggesting for her. "Of course, no problem," she said, gifting her a smile back, although hers was not as bright. But she didn't seem any less content for it. The joy she had was just more visible in her eyes than through anything else.

Nancy continued towards a rack with different kinds of pants, all of them rather warm-looking. Perfect for the upcoming winter. "Hey, what's your size?" she asked over her shoulder while browsing through a bunch of black jeans. That Chise might originate from a world where clothing sizes or shopping malls weren't even a thing, Nancy didn't really consider when meeting the other's gaze, waiting for her to say something.

Chise Hatori likes this.
  15. Chise Hatori

Apothecary Clerk
    Race:
    Human/Sleigh Beggy
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    It was nice to just be able to enjoy some peaceful time with someone like this again and Nancy seemed to be enjoying it as well. Still holding the coat Nancy had gotten for herself, Chise began looking through a different rack herself for anything that caught her eye, but heard a question coming from Nancy.

"I’m pretty sure I’m a size S. I’m a fairly small girl."
    Chise gave out a bit of an embarrassed giggle as she looked through the size of the clothes in the rack she was at.

Her height wasn’t something Chise felt self-conscious about usually, as she had far worse things to worry about. It was just a little embarrassing when other people thought she was younger than she really was because of her height. Even she sometimes seemed to get other people’s ages wrong because of the difference in height between she and them, and it usually just led to embarrassment on her part.

16. An S. Nancy skimmed through a few pairs of dark jeans, pulling an entirely black one out of the rack, and one that had small rose petals stitched onto it, in the color of of cherry blossoms.

Again, she held up both of them, a small smile gracing her lips. "Okay, what about those?"

Nancy had to admit, putting together an outfit for someone else was definitely more fun than she would've thought it could be. She had never been the type to play dress-up doll games on the internet or actually go out shopping with her female friends. And whatever tiny amount of those desires had still lived in her, they had died down, after she'd visited the Halls of the Dead. Now, her wardrobe consisted of black and white and pomegranate - and sometimes a hue of purple - and that was it. And shopping? The last time she'd gone shopping back home had been probably years ago. Only here in Pandora it seemed to become a thing for her again, what with going out with John Silver and now helping Chise with her wardrobe - not a change that the ghostly girl could say she disliked.
    Especially not with such aesthetically beautiful people like John and Chise.

Chise Hatori likes this.
  17. Chise Hatori

Apothecary Clerk
    Race:
    Human/Sleigh Beggy
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    It didn't take very long for Nancy to find yet another thing for Chise to take a look at. This time they were some pants, one being entirely black while the other had some cherry blossom petals on it. The latter was pretty, but she didn't feel like it would look very good on her. She preferred to have the more attention-grabbing parts of her outfit be the top ones while the bottom was pretty plain.

"I think the plain black one is good, but the one with the petals... I'm not too sure about it." Chise replied, looking from one pair to the other. "She's pretty much doing all of my shopping for me..." She thought, trying to keep her embarrassment at the situation from showing through a smile.

Those seemed like the kind of things Nancy herself would wear since she was dressed in a lot of black herself, but it looked nice either way. It was funny, Nancy actually seemed more fit to be John's student than she was, at least from an aesthetical point of view. Speaking of...

"By the way, how did you meet John? You two looked like you had some history with each other."
    She asked as a way of keeping some sort of conversation going on while they were choosing clothes.

18. The black pair of jeans wandered onto her shoulder, thrown over it so she wouldn't have to carry it in the crook of her elbow for the time being, while she put the other one back and sorted through a different rack. Nancy didn't even think of the possibility that Chise could get embarrassed by her helping her with this; after all, she did it gladly, and she had offered to help her too, so it was absolutely fine in her book. Just girls helping out other girls, right? Being supportive and genuinely nice to each other. Wasn't that, what the beauty industry always tried to prevent, so the people would get jealous and envious and buy more of their things? Yeah, well, Nancy wouldn't have any of that, thankyouverymuch.

She looked up from the shirts she was currently going through, when Chise mentioned John. John Uskglass, mind you, not Silver. A faint smile came onto her lips as she recalled the day in summer, and the quite magical meeting she had with the fae king. "Oh, you know, I mistook him for a friend and jump-hugged him in the woods. We both landed in the creek nearby." Remembering it now, and thinking of the second meeting they had had, Nancy couldn't help but to wonder if they would ever have a non-magical day together, or if that was just not possible with John Uskglass. "He dried us with a spell of his, of course, and we.. yeah, kinda just talked. I showed him one of my abilities and then he suggested we meet again so he could teach me some of his magic." Sweeney certainly hadn't been hyped to hear - way later - that the fae had taught a more-or-less mortal girl fae magic, but John just was like that. And it had helped Nancy in the past to know a few words to control the nature around her. "We did run into each other after that and he fulfilled his promise, but we haven't met since then, except for Samhein."

Coming to think of it, it was almost a bit sad to not know what John was up to. "Is he okay?" Nancy asked, cocking her head and meeting Chise's gaze.

Chise Hatori likes this.
  19. Chise Hatori

Apothecary Clerk
    Race:
    Human/Sleigh Beggy
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    Chise wasn't expecting Nancy to have first met John by tackling him into a creek, that much she knew. She didn't strike her as the kind of person who would dash towards people and hug them, friend or not. She came across as a bit more reserved than that, or perhaps that was just Chise projecting a little. One way or another, it was a pretty funny tale and it reminded Chise of when she met Lindel for the first time, mostly the whole thing of getting wet and having to get dried up with magic.

"Well... he seems to be well. I haven't noticed anything off about him, but it's hard to tell what's going on in his head." Chise explained, looking like she had to seriously think about the subject of John's current status. "He teaches me, but other than that, I don't really know what he does, other than the fact he's a king, so I just assume he has a lot on his plate. He's been acting the same way since we met, at least, so I think everything must be going alright for him." She giggled a little.

There was one bit of what Nancy mentioned that got Chise's curiosity, but she wasn't sure if it was a good idea to bring it up or not, it could be a more sensitive thing, but at the same time, she really wanted to know who could be walking around that looks similar to John.

"You mind if I ask who this friend of yours is?"

#19 Chise Hatori, Aug 3, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2018