By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box.
Only the box is a world of its own.
We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.
Want to add a quote? Submit them here!
  1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Autumn is here!
    Check out the Season Updates HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Have a nice day, Guest!
    Dismiss Notice

Private A Hive of Scum & Villainy

Discussion in 'Cosmic Wilderness' started by Luke Skywalker, Jul 29, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Luke Skywalker

Luke Skywalker Star Wars

Island Hermit
    Race:
    Force Sensitive Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    Date: 20th August, Year 8.
    Tag: @Carter J. Burke.

[​IMG]

“You sure got a huge pair of balls flying out to Yensid on your own,” Midnight grinned at him, his teeth discolored stubs. The seedy glow of the cantina drew attention to the deep wrinkles in his face and the cracked skin of his reptilian lips, his many silver piercings flashing when they caught the light. “If you pull off this heist, you’ll never have to work again. I hear those filthy furries are running out of space on their little planet because of all their gold, treasure and shit.”

“I’m not doing it to become wealthy!” Luke had to shout above other people’s conversations, as well as the dull, monotonous pounding of music that hurt his head. Glasses clattered and crashed somewhere close behind him. Shrill laughter erupted from a gloomy corner of the cantina. “I am simply retrieving valuable items stolen from a holy island!”

“Yeah… Yeah… You say that now, old man,” Midnight snorted skeptically. He straightened on his stool at the bustling bar as though recalling something important, his brown eyes that were almost black in the poor light brightening with greed and expectancy. “Anyway, where’s my money? Hand it over or you don’t get the ship and the weapons.”

Beneath the hood of his cloak, Luke rolled his eyes and withdrew a datastick from his flowing garments, handing it to him. It was fortunate that his nine year old father had a long history in Pandora. “Insert this into your droid. He’ll transfer the requested credits to your account.”

Midnight let out a loud whoop, banging the scarred wood of the bar with his leathery hands. “You’ve got yourself a deal, old man! I’ll give you a tour of my little beauty, but first… A drink.”

Luke huffed out a sigh that rippled his gray beard, impatient to escape the cantina. He felt dirty and greasy due to the humidity, the air misty with the smoke from cigarras. The acrid smell of them burned the back of his throat. Sweaty bodies kept bumping into his ribs, his temper flaring up hotter with each collision. It had him longing to return to the peace and quiet of his island.

Midnight offered to buy him an alcoholic refreshment, but he shook his head. Luke would have some milk once he was alone in the ship.

Carter J. Burke likes this.
  2. Carter J. Burke

The Company Man

Scoops Ahoy Manager
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Evil
    Directory:
    link

Elysium sure was a unique place. On the surface of the moon stood a multitude of elegant skyscrapers and a pristine environment, but beneath it everything was pretty much the opposite. The Undercity, which Carter Burke had heard people refer to it as, was grungy in parts and seemed downright dangerous in others. Dive Bar 69 was no exception to this - in fact it would be rather easy to describe the place as both.

Burke was careful while ordering a drink, acting as calm and polite as what was necessary so that he wouldn’t end up on the bartender’s bad side. He had only been there for five minutes and he’d already seen what could happen to those who’d gotten their beer spiked with something weird - it wasn’t a pretty sight.

With a beverage in hand - which seemed almost suspiciously normal in comparison with everything else being served - he made his way to the back of the bar, took a seat at a booth and began to people-watch. Surely, it would be more interesting than anything on television, if not a little nerve-wracking.

He was just about to muster up the courage to take a sip of his drink when a loud voice rang throughout the bar. Burke set the drink onto the table and sat upright to listen - there was talk of wealth and valuable items and it piqued his interest. His eyes darted over to each area of the bar, searching for the source of the discussion. There they were - a middle-aged gentleman was conversing with another being whose features looked disturbingly lizard-like.

Slowly and cautiously, Burke edged closer towards the two of them. The artifacts which had been mentioned sounded like they’d go for quite a lot of money and Burke was dying to have more cash on hand. The pay he received for managing an ice cream parlor just wasn’t cutting it.

When he was finally close enough to be heard, Burke called out to the human who’d spoken of the stolen items all while carefully avoiding eye contact with the lizard man. “Hold on a minute, you said you were flying t-to--” his voice trailed off as he struggled to remember the name of the planet which had been mentioned. “Yendis? ‘Cause I’ve got some unfinished business there."

Luke Skywalker likes this.
  3. Luke Skywalker

Luke Skywalker Star Wars

Island Hermit
    Race:
    Force Sensitive Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

The bartender bequeathed Midnight with his drink, which he then proceeded to drink in slow motion. Luke suspected that it was to antagonize him. He scowled and shifted his weight, twitching the fingers of his prosthetic hand. His stalling was having the desired effect. Luke pondered offering him extra credits to hurry the tour of the ship, but they were approached by one of the cantina’s patrons.

He turned to frown at him, both suspicious and thoughtful. The newcomer was human, although his attire was alien to him. The impression he gave off had him dwelling over Han. Han. His best friend. Struck down by his own son, in part because of Luke’s folly. More specifically, Luke dwelled over the time he’d first met Han in the cantina at Mos Eisley. This dark haired man reminded him of that Han.

Do not trust him.

“Yensid,” Luke clearly enunciated the name of the planet, the last syllable allowing him to, fleetingly, bare his teeth. His younger self would’ve blanched at the next words that tumbled out of his mouth: “You’ll have to finish your business on your own. I don’t have time to help everybody with their problems.”

“You old fool!” Midnight snorted scornfully at him, his reptilian lips wrapped around the long neck of his drink. “What the Sid’s your problem? How can you pass up a potential ally?”

“I don’t need any,” Luke sniffed defiantly, though his own words stung him. He thought of Han again. And Leia, Artoo, Chewie and Threepio. Maybe not Threepio quite so much.

4. Carter J. Burke

The Company Man

Scoops Ahoy Manager
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Evil
    Directory:
    link

The older man’s unfriendly response made Burke take a step back and cringe a bit. He’d taken a guess on the name of the place he’d heard the guy say and unfortunately he’d made a minor mistake in pronouncing it. Worse, the elder had taken notice of the mix-up, and that certainly wasn’t going to make his upcoming request look very legitimate. “Yensid,” he repeated the name of the planet carefully this time, making sure to say it correctly. He knew he would need an excuse for the mispronunciation, but luckily he had one at the ready. “Sorry, must be the alcohol talking. I’ve been slurring all night.”

He stepped forward again and put on a serious face in an attempt to give himself a certain air of confidence. Doing so, he thought, would probably make him look like less of a liar when he told his made-up story. “Let me tell you, this isn’t the kind of business that can be done solo,” Burke insisted. “And it’s urgent. Real urgent. We’re talking a life and death scenario. My buddy O’Malley, he’s gone missing and - and the last I heard from him, he told me he had some kinda deal with a guy from Yensid and it wasn’t working out too well. Odds are he's been abducted.”

Burke made sure to fake a slur in his voice here and there, though to anyone with good perception skills it would sound a bit off. When the lizard man chimed in, he made sure to take advantage of his words as well. “An ally, yeah. You need one just like I do. Two heads are better than one. If you’ve got the brawns like I’ve got the brains, we can take back what’s ours in no time.” With that said he tilted his head and smirked. “So, what do you say, huh?”

5. Luke Skywalker

Luke Skywalker Star Wars

Island Hermit
    Race:
    Force Sensitive Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

Luke listened to the civilian’s spiel, his scowl of disapproval deepening with every word.

“Wonderful,” he said when prompted to give a reply, his voice carrying a hint of concession. It didn't last: “Every word you said about me needing an ally was wrong. Now go away.”

Midnight let out a loud cackle that was as shrill and abrasive as glass shattering against a wall. He drained the last of his bottle and slammed it down against the wood of the bar with a triumphant clack, baring his jagged teeth and forked tongue at the apparent burn of the alcohol.

“At least let him see the ship, old man,” Midnight snickered at them, beady eyes flashing with greed. “Maybe he’ll want to rent it after you to rescue his buddy? I could always use the extra custom!”

Luke rolled his eyes and shook his head, not really caring as long as it got them out of the cantina now. The fact that he’d finished his drink was a good sign. “It’s your ship.”

Midnight rose from his stool, leading them out of the cantina into the dark. Luke was glad to breathe in clean, fresh air uncontaminated by the acrid poisons of cigarras. He welcomed the breeze that fluttered across his skin and rippled the length of his cloak, cooling him down after being in the humid, close confines of the cantina. His ears felt deadened from the monotonous rumble of music and other people’s conversations. He vowed to never step foot in there again.

Luke followed him to a parking structure that was set close to the cantina. “That’s my baby.” Midnight pointed out one of the ships. “I call her the Sigourney.”

He nodded approvingly. It was a long streamlined ship, which flared out on either side at the back to house its twin sublight engines and weapon compartments. The Sigourney’s immaculate silver body gleamed in the light of nearby holoboards, advertising cigarra and alcohol brands.

6. Carter J. Burke

The Company Man

Scoops Ahoy Manager
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Evil
    Directory:
    link

Burke looked hopeful at the first word spoken in response, half-expecting that the elder might have bought his story and was willing to accept his offer, even if grudgingly. However, it quickly turned out that the old man was perceptive and wanted absolutely nothing to do with him. Instinctively, he opened his mouth to retort, to explain that it was the wrong choice to leave him behind, but not one utterance came forth. Instead, the businessman’s face simply fell, his gaze momentarily dropping down to his feet in disappointment.

The lizard-man’s booming laughter, however, made him immediately snap back to attention. From the sound of it, Old Scaly was in favor of letting him see the ship. Whether he’d fallen for the tale of his made-up missing friend or was simply money-hungry, this was something that Burke knew could be used to his own advantage. While he doubted he had enough credits to pay for a ship and still live comfortably enough - as managing an ice cream parlor didn’t earn him all that much - he figured that pretending to be interested in renting the spacecraft wouldn’t hurt.

“You want extra custom, I can deliver,” Burke lied, straightening his posture to appear slightly more confident. “I’m not picky with spacecraft, I guarantee it, just let me see what I’m getting into here.” He could sense the disapproval in the other human’s tone, but just as he’d said, the ship was Lizardy’s after all.

Burke trailed after the two, feeling rather pleased to finally get out of the dive bar and into a less crowded area. The Sigourney stood out even from afar, what with its silver exterior and elegant shape gleaming in the light. Burke could only imagine how many credits it was worth, but concerning over that was irrelevant. Without a willing pilot to help him out, the spacecraft would be impossible to steal so he'd be able to sell it or its parts to somebody else. For now he’d have to settle for the artifacts on Yensid. He hadn't a doubt in his mind that those would earn him a hefty sum as well.

“Aesthetically appealing,” Burke said, breaking the pause of silence, “on the outside, at least. Now, why don’t we open the hatch and get a good look at her insides?”

7. Luke Skywalker

Luke Skywalker Star Wars

Island Hermit
    Race:
    Force Sensitive Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

The dark haired man’s remarks had Luke turning to scowl impatiently at him, but he remained silent, reminding himself that he’d get rid of both of them soon.

Midnight led them up a set of steel steps, which clanged under foot. The Sigourney’s interior was separated into three sections, with an obvious front, middle and back. They viewed the latter quarter first, which was a cargo hold, cluttered with crates and temperature controlled units. That was exactly what Luke needed to store some of the more fragile Sacul artefacts.

“It’s big, no? Somebody could easily get themselves lost trying to find the exit,” Midnight remarked coyly, giving the stranger from the cantina a sly snake’s wink.

They strode through the middle of the ship. It made up the living area with its small kitchen, humble wash facilities and basic bunk beds. According to Midnight, the containers were well stocked with food and drink. All thrown in with the cost of the rental.

Their tour concluded in the narrow cockpit. Luke sat down at the controls, while Midnight pointed out each one to him, listing their function. The configuration wasn’t dissimilar to his X-wing. A little curved astromech rolled around the floor and warbled at them, which Midnight had introduced earlier as D1-K. The price of the rental had also included the use of his droid.

“That is all I need. You can go now,” Luke said, waving the two men off with his gloved hand.

8. Carter J. Burke

The Company Man

Scoops Ahoy Manager
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Evil
    Directory:
    link

Without much hesitation, Burke followed the other two up the metal steps and into the back of the ship. It was indeed a massive spacecraft - the cargo hold alone was pretty sizable and not too terribly cramped even with the piles of boxes strewn about the floor. To top it off, the temperature of the room was comfortably cool. Such a cluttered yet cozy place would make for an excellent hiding spot for a cat or perhaps a stowaway…

Burke’s thoughts were interrupted by the sound of the lizard-man’s speech. From what he could discern, Old Scaly seemed to agree with him to the point that he might have been hinting that he should the environment to his advantage. “You’re right,” he answered with fake uncertainty, glancing towards the reptilian just in time to see him wink. At that moment, any doubts that he had about the lizard guy wanting him to stay aboard had instantly vanished. “Gotta have a good enough sense of direction to see your way out of this place.”

He followed Luke and Lizard from a distance, taking a mental note of which way they’d headed so he'd easily be able to backtrack to the ship’s rear end. All the while he took in the sights of the rest of the Sigourney’s pristine interior, wondering just how many credits the thing could have cost to rent.

By the time they’d reached the cockpit, Burke was anxious to head back to the cargo hold, but he waited until Luke gestured for he and Lizard Guy to leave. With that, he sneaked away silently, following Midnight close behind until he’d reached the back end of the ship. Once the reptile was out of sight, he slipped between two tall stacks of crates and waited for the Sigourney to take off.

9. Luke Skywalker

Luke Skywalker Star Wars

Island Hermit
    Race:
    Force Sensitive Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

Luke didn’t waste any time launching the Sigourney off the planet, huffing out a relieved sigh when he could see and feel the blackness of space sprawling out in front of him, punctured by tiny twinkles of light. He’d been so anxious and impatient to embark on the journey to Yensid that he'd missed the small disturbance in the Force rippling somewhere behind him.

D1-K let out a shrill chirp, alerting him to an infrared map of the ship on his control panel. In molten shades of red, he glimpsed a human silhouette hidden among the crates in the cargo hold.

Luke let out a groan, sagging against his seat. He didn’t need to reach out with the Force to know who had stowed away with him. It was too late to return to that cantina now, nor did he want to waste time dumping him on a neighboring planet. The stranger had got his wish. He’d won. He could help Luke with his mission, but not before he was punished first.

Activating an autopilot function on the Sigourney, he stumped out of the cockpit, rolling his eyes and grumbling under his breath. He trudged on through the ship, pausing when he reached the open doorway of the cargo hold. D1-K wobbled up beside him, bleeping amiably.

“What did you say, Deekay?” Luke asked, making his voice waver with disbelief and concern. In case the stowaway was watching him, he made a show of frowning around the crowded cargo hold. “We’re carrying too much weight? We’ll run out of fuel if we don’t lighten our load?”

The little droid uttered a series of uncertain honks, an amber light flashing on top of his head.

Luke mouthed the words play along behind his gloved hand, before raising his voice and commanding with conviction: “Fire up the incinerators in the cargo hold, Deekay! On my count!”

He began to step back from the doorway, counting down from ten. D1-K emitted a long, undulating wail, the light on his head flashing a fiery red, which scudded across the steel walls.

10. Carter J. Burke

The Company Man

Scoops Ahoy Manager
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Evil
    Directory:
    link

Once the Sigourney lifted off, Burke felt a little more relaxed. It didn’t look as if the elderly grump was going to search through the cargo bay for stowaways any time soon. Now all he had to do was play the waiting game until they’d landed on planet Yensid, and then he could pop out of hiding and tell the weathered old man he’d merely gotten lost on his way out of the ship. After that, he'd simply need to survive the mission and lay claim to whatever expensive artifacts they found afterwards. Perhaps he’d sneak a couple out without even mentioning it. Nevertheless, everything was going to plan.

That was, until the other man’s voice sounded off in the doorway. Burke peeked his head out from behind the crates for the quickest of moments to confirm whether Luke was really nearby or not. He pulled away right at the second he noticed the man’s familiar face and exhaled shakily. It seemed that he’d forgotten a very important detail - the droid which was accompanying them on the mission. If the old geezer hadn’t suspected anything before, there was a chance that the pesky tin can could sense something was different.

Holding his breath, he began to listen in on the two. Lighten the load? Surely he couldn’t mean opening the airlock and sending some of the storage boxes into space? He shuddered at the thought of being launched into space with all of those crates. There was no way he’d survive that!

Still he waited in silence, hoping that somehow the pilot would decide that his droid had made an error in calculations and leave the room. Unfortunately, he did just the opposite - and by instructing the robot to start up a fire, no less!

It looked as if he didn’t have a choice now. “Wait! H-hold on a second!” Burke shouted, practically leaping out from behind the stacks of boxes. It looked like it was time to play the fool a little earlier than planned. Holding his hands up, he continued, “Y-you’re gonna send an innocent man up in flames? Lose half the cargo? None of that’s gonna go over well with your reptile pal!”

11. Luke Skywalker

Luke Skywalker Star Wars

Island Hermit
    Race:
    Force Sensitive Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

The stowaway rushed out of his hiding spot, hands up and protesting like he was unfairly under arrest. Luke was ready to receive him with a disapproving scowl that could’ve chilled a wampa’s blood, his arms crossed across his chest. He wasn’t exactly angry, though, more irritated and resigned to babysitting this man. Was babysitting his father not enough?

D1-K’s light blinked from red to a soft, constant green, his wails fading into the hushed rumble of the ship. Luke absentmindedly placed his hand on the little droid’s curved head in a gesture of thanks. Artoo couldn’t have done a better job of playing a trick on this crook.

“There are no incinerators on the Sigourney,” Luke told his unwelcome guest, quietly and coolly. He turned his back on him, then started to stump off back through the ship.

Deekay let out a series of loud mocking honks and blats, before rolling after him.

“Tell me you can at least fly a ship,” Luke called over his shoulder crabbily. “Either way, I want you in the cockpit. We’re going to establish some ground rules before we get to Yensid.”

12. Carter J. Burke

The Company Man

Scoops Ahoy Manager
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Evil
    Directory:
    link

Once he was absolutely certain that Luke wasn’t going to try something funny, Burke dropped his hands back at his sides. His gaze flitted briefly to the robot afterwards, just in time to see the red light suspiciously switch to green. Blinking, he returned his attention to the old grump, who was now explaining that the talk of incinerators was all just a scare tactic.

“No incinerators on the Sigourney,” Burke repeated the words in a mumble as if to try and convince himself that the other’s statement was true. “That’s -- that’s great. Really, it is!” Despite his positive comments, he sounded pretty frustrated. It didn’t take much longer for him to come up with a story on why. “But look, this ship is -- it’s massive! Did you expect me to find my way out of it alone? Your pal was already gone by the time I reached this room! There was no one around to ask for directions!”

He was lying through his teeth, but hopefully the old geezer would fall for his story. It wasn’t as if he had time to worry about that though because now Luke was expecting him to help fly the ship. “No, you don’t want me steering this thing,” he answered - this time honestly - as he followed the elder towards the cockpit. “She’s a beauty, don’t get me wrong, but I’m not a pilot, I -- I work in an ice cream shop, okay?”

Burke didn’t really care to hear what ‘ground rules’ that Luke would make up for this trip to Yensid. He was sure he'd purposely break each and every one of them eventually, but knowing he had to at least pretend to cooperate, he nodded in agreement. “Listen, if following these rules means you’re not gonna try to kill me, I’m all ears.”

13. Luke Skywalker

Luke Skywalker Star Wars

Island Hermit
    Race:
    Force Sensitive Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

He’d got lost trying to leave the ship. Right. Luke rolled his eyes and shook his head, not believing a single word. He really could’ve been best friends with Han, before Han had grown himself a conscience and become a good guy. Maybe this one would wind up surprising him…

He did surprise him, but not in a positive way.

Ice cream?” Luke whipped his head around to give the other man a surly squint, D1-K beeping and honking in the background. “They sell human babies in pet stores on Yensid. They race people and when they don’t run fast enough beat them with hunting crops until the flesh peels off their backs. They breed us and they eat our meat. You work in an ice cream shop and you think you can help me against a race of ruthless bandits? Were you planning to sell them ice cream, while I retrieved the artefacts and rescued your friend?”

Luke rolled his eyes again, touching his temple with his gloved hand. He could feel a headache beginning to build behind the spot, just like the ones he’d used to get around Rey.

“I don’t kill,” he responded tersely, dropping into a chair in the cockpit. “And that’s the first rule of this arrangement. We don’t kill. Unless it’s in self-defense and even then only as a last resort.”

Not that this man looked capable of killing anybody. Melting ice cream, perhaps.

“Rule Two. You must stay with me at all times when we leave the ship. Three. You will not talk or engage in conversation with any of the Yensid. Four. You will not make eye contact with them.”

He spent what seemed like the next thirty to sixty minutes rattling off more rules to the other man, his voice a solemn rumble in the confined space of the cockpit. Luke was just asking him if he had any questions about those rules when D1-K started to hoot and chirp, notifying them that they were entering the Yensid star system.

14. Carter J. Burke

The Company Man

Scoops Ahoy Manager
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Evil
    Directory:
    link

The moment Burke had carelessly mentioned that he worked in an ice cream shop, he sorely regretted it. Of course, it wasn’t as if he was only capable of serving frozen sweets to people and telling them to have a nice day. Before life in Pandora, he had the reputation of a ruthless businessman as he was the Director of Special Projects for the Weyland-Yutani Corporation. If not for that damned Ellen Ripley seeing past his friendly facade, he probably wouldn’t have ended up in Pandora in the first place. But because of that, now he was stuck in a ship in the midst of orbit with a grumpy old man saying what horrible things the people of Yensid were capable of.

God, they sounded even worse than the Xenomorphs...

Burke felt his stomach turn as the old geezer listed what the Yensidders liked to do for fun. A couple times he looked like he might faint or be sick, and when the Jedi had finally finished his rather graphic monologue, the poor man looked very pale in the face and probably could have done with a glass of water. There was an uncomfortable pause of silence afterwards, followed by a stutter as Burke struggled to recover and get his words out. “W-w-wait a second, you’re telling me we’re dealing with -- with a whole new brand of freaks here? That this planet’s inhabited by savages?”

He froze at the mention of his made-up friend, whom he’d fabricated so long ago that he couldn’t remember their name. O’Donohue? O’Reilly? Nevertheless, it was time to start up the worried act again. “Look pal, if these guys are as vicious and as violent as you say they are then we have no business standing here and wasting our breath! O’Hara’s out there and these Yensid fellas are having a blast doing God-knows-what to him. We've gotta get him out of there pronto, you hear me?”

As the elder started running through the multitude of rules, he shook his head and sighed. No killing, that was easy enough, avoiding the Yensid was something he wanted to do - but sticking by Luke’s side for the whole mission was going to be quite a pain. How was he supposed to collect some of the artifacts for himself? Perhaps, he hoped, once they were loaded into the cargo bay.

Once Luke had stopped with the rules, Burke had just about lost his patience. “Okay, okay!” he said with a groan, fighting the urge to tell him off. “You don’t want backup, that’s fine. I can stay in the ship while you fight your way through. You can go get your artifacts, I’ll stay out of your way, everybody's happy, problem solved.” It wasn’t like he had an actual friend to worry about, after all, and that thirty minute lecture had caused him to forget he was supposed to have one.