By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box.
Only the box is a world of its own.
We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.
Want to add a quote? Submit them here!
  1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Summer is here!
    Check out the Season Updates HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Have a nice day, Guest!
    Dismiss Notice

Private A Polarizing Encounter

Discussion in 'Ark City' started by Frank Horrigan, Apr 19, 2019.

1. April 13th, Early Evening

The city was active and lively, the various people walking about their jobs, doing whatever it is they were supposed to do. Amidst this crowd of many peoples with many backgrounds, stood a tall figure clad in deep grey metal plating. Tubes linked the iron behemoth to his suit as he walked, a couple feet taller then just about everyone else in the crowd. What did this rather ominous figure want? Well, justjust a simple rundown on where in God's earth he was.

Frank slowly looked around as he walked down the bustling street, looking from people, to signs, to just about anything else that would stand out through the daily bustle. 'Are these signs in Chinese, or some other red language?' The soldier thought quietly to himself, rather confused at the fact that just about everyone he had heard up to this point seemed to speak in the same language as him, despite him not having seen one English sign yet.

The figure kept in roaming throughout the crowd for a long while, looking over the people who surrounded him. Some seemed rather normal to the soldier, while others seemed to have the distinct markings of impure humans found within his home abroad. An even smaller group seemed even less human, having odd colors of skin and hair and sometimes got being human like at all. It was all so much for the man, so he took a moment to step aside, looking directly at one of these signs in an infernal language he couldn't read, hoping deep down he might just wake up from whatever fever dream this was.

@Magiano

Magiano likes this.
  2. Magiano

Magiano Young Elites
    Musical Magpie

Musician, Mimik, Thief
    Race:
    Young Elite
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    Directory:
    link
    With the first warm days Magiano had headed out again, back to his drifting life whereas he'd spend most of winter in Pandopolis or huddling away inside, thankful that Robin always welcomed him in her home. But he couldn't just stay in one place for long, craving the adventure of traveling, the people he could meet. That some of the places here were far more advanced than his home, full of devices the boy didn't even remotely understand, but found fascinating nonetheless.
    Like the man in a suit that looked a bit like the armor in earlier times of his world... just that this one looked far too heavy to work out. Naturally, he stared, not very stealthy about it, stopping to tug on the strings of his violin, coaxing a string of notes out of it. Balancing on a stone pillar dividing off a section of the street, clad in a patchwork cloak in all colors of the rainbow, the cloth expensive silks, rivaling any fools attorney, the gold and silver rings woven into his dreadlocks catching the light.
    And then there were the eyes. Liquid gold, the pupils slitted like a cats right now. Fixed on the big soldier as Magiano tried to see if their was some magic at work there, always eager to discover more of that, maybe copy it. That someone might take offense in that was beyond him, the musician used to people calling him out for a variety of reasons – noise complaints, thieving, mockery, general insults – so he didn't thought much of it.

Frank Horrigan likes this.
  3. After a good long while Frank stared at the sign, eventually confirming it was indeed not in English. He sighed internally, realizing that it may take a while for him to ever really find out what to do here. It was deeply concerning to him, in a land he couldn't understand, surrounded by what he could only assume were impure humans. And as he turned, he realized that one of those mutants was staring directly at him.

The glowing orange eyes of Frank met with the golden eyes of this passerby, which lingered together for a short while. Thoughts floated through his head: Did this guy know who he was? Was He doing something wrong he didn't realize? Was the man staring at him just crazy? It was on Frank's brain for a good moment before he decided to question it.

"What do you want Mutie?"
    He called out to the odd figure with the slitted eyes.

Magiano likes this.
  4. Magiano

Magiano Young Elites
    Musical Magpie

Musician, Mimik, Thief
    Race:
    Young Elite
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    Directory:
    link
    Magiano wasn't going to look away first, not scared in the slightest just because someone bigger and more impressive stared back. And when the other called out at him, he laughed instead. “Trying to figure out how you keep upright with all that metal!” the boy answered, taking the fact that he had been spoken to as an invitation to stroll over. To talk and ask questions, though now that he hadn't spotted anything useful his pupils widened back to normal.
    “Why do you call me mute?” Magiano asked back. “Because I didn't sing? I never do. But that doesn't make me mute or less of a musician!” Not that he'd taken any offense, simply stated a fact, curious about the reasons. As an freelance entertainer he was used getting stared at, have others take advance of being available right there – though with him being good at playing it usual wasn't insults.

5. "I said mutie, not mute."
    Frank said with a grumbling sigh, raising a hand to his head gently as well. And worse yet, this 'mutie' was approaching Frank. Did the civilians have no sense of self preservation these days, or was this one just stupid? Either way, he decided the best way to continue was to elaborate for this figure that seemed to not understand his terminology.

"Mutie, Mutant, Inhuman, Impure, Et Cetera."
    He chuckles in an almost ominous tone, his gravelly voice sounding almost like a cough in it's sounding. Better yet, it seemed this individual was some sort of artisan, judging by his titles for himself. The Enclave certainly didn't appreciate many artists in the modern age, and Frank himself was no different, and what little ounces of fear he had for this man wasted away as his brain clicked into place what kind of person this man seemed to be.

"With eyes like those, I have no idea how deep it could go on you."
    Frank said this final sentence, not sure if he wished the man in front of him to be shocked, offended, scared, or what. He really just stood tall and waited for a reaction.

Magiano likes this.
  6. Magiano

Magiano Young Elites
    Musical Magpie

Musician, Mimik, Thief
    Race:
    Young Elite
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    Directory:
    link
    The figure used quite some interesting new words to describe something Magiano knew he was since early childhood. Mutant could be one he might use himself in the future, the other sounded less nice, more like what he was used to from the Inquisition. He'd never been scared of those either, knew that words could do great harm, but only if they fell upon the ears of the wrong people. The musician did barely bother, having come upon much worse things.
    Despite the fact that he carried a violin, the multiple colors on his coat bordering on making a fool of himself, one shouldn't underestimate him – he had access to all magic around, there were two scimitars tucked under his cloak, fastened secure at his back, and he knew how to wield both. You just wouldn't guess it, the way he laughed at the slight insult, full of joy. “Oh dear, that isn't even my main mark – and it's called malfetto in my place. Abdomination.” Inclining his head he looked up at the warrior. “Not that yours look much different. Was there a Bloodfever in your place too? Are you with the Inquisition? This sounds a lot like their mindset and if you try to burn me at the stake too, I got some objections.” No one was making decisions over his life anymore.

7. "Burned by the stake? No, The Enclave doesn't work so inefficiently. We kill those who we want dead, or take them in for a trial if they deserve one." The man said as he stared down onto this odd mutant before him. Normally, killing mutants that got in his way was simple and quick, but for some reason this one didn't seem to aggressive. That along with the fact that in his current location random slaughter may not be appreciated, he decided to hold off on unloading his gun.

"And you said Bloodfever? That sounds a lot like the Blue Flu to me. And the only place I can think of people burning others a the stake would be those Mormons out east." Frank said this half to himself and half to Magiano, considering in his head if this person could be from his world after all. Maybe if he was, Frank could find a way home. It would be an adequate use of a mutant after all, and getting back home was top priority. "Where is it you come from civilian?"

Magiano likes this.
  8. Magiano

Magiano Young Elites
    Musical Magpie

Musician, Mimik, Thief
    Race:
    Young Elite
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    Directory:
    link
    “I object on getting killed for someone else reasons too.” the boy said, raising one eyebrow, otherwise unfazed by the fact that here was a person who'd do so without hesitation. And why should he worry, if there hadn't been a sign of violence so far? They were in the middle of a city. Sure nothing would happen. Also he always could run. Being a thief came with skills in that.
    Magiano already knew that they weren't from the same place, since nowhere in all the lands the Bloodfever went by another term. Everyone knew it for the damage it did. Also he'd never heard of Mormons before and there wasn't much known lands in the east. “Why, I came here from Kenettra, but a bright fellow like you sure can tell that I originate from the lovely deserts of Domacca!” he exclaimed, grinning, a bit teasing. Playing his own game. Or rather, making a potential threatening encounter fun. “And my name is Magiano, tin-man. Like magic, but they named it after me, not the other way around.”

9. "Must be from farther East then I thought." Frank said with a chuckle of his own. Even if this was some crazy mutant in front of him, Frank had to admit he was kind of funny. Well he didn't actually have to admit it, that would ruin his reputation after all. Either way, he could put away the slaughter of mutants for a while, and having someone to talk to, even if it was against his normal code, was nice to say the least.

"You must overestimate the knowledge of your lands, because I have never heard of either Kenettra or Domacca." He said after a moment, before raising one of his arms and looking down at it as well. "And I always thought my armor was a bit too dark to be confused for tin. No, only a fool would store himself in the same armor as his food." He said with another hearty chuckle, the deep gravelly noise emanating from his mask rather then his chest. He always missed not speaking through his own mouth, but sadly that was one of the luxuries lost with supreme protection.

"Well Magiano, for a mutant and a supposed criminal, as I assume that is what you are to this 'Inquisition', you seem to be a comedic man. I salute you on that. Then again, I salute anyone who can walk up to me without wetting themselves." He took a moment to laugh once more, before stopping to wait for this man's response. For some reason he couldn't help but feel a little less angry about this mutant. Maybe they we're messing with his mind somehow, or maybe, just maybe, Frank actually enjoyed someone who didn't cringe or shout in his presence.

Magiano likes this.
  10. Magiano

Magiano Young Elites
    Musical Magpie

Musician, Mimik, Thief
    Race:
    Young Elite
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    Directory:
    link
    Of course the towering armor had never heard of his lands before. The boy already knew they came from different places and while the world sure was bigger than he ever traveled, the chances of such a rift between cultures were unlikely. “Maybe whoever made it thought you'd end up as food otherwise?” he mused at the question of the choice of metal. Not that he knew much about it or meant it teasingly, it'd just make a good story – if it wasn't already one. Everyone had a story.
    “Ah, the only crime they accused me of was being alive and the way the Bloodfever made me. And what good is an accusation that would't hold up across the border alone and that, unlike some others, is entirely out of my control and fault? Can you blame someone – something – for existing solemnly because it doesn't fit your worldview?” He ventured off a bit into philosophics, showing that attorney and behavior didn't made a fool, that there was a sharp mind beneath his grins and jokes. “And why should I fear someone who hasn't done anything to me?” Maybe fear was not his thing in general, but he always kept an open mind, refusing to reject people just because. It had been done to him and the feeling was a bad one, so no one else should suffer it.

11. Frank chuckled at the idea of something, or someone, ripping open his armor for a chance to eat him.
    "I doubt anything would want to eat my flesh, the side effects would be worse then hunger."
    Then again, Frank wasn't exactly an expert on animals. If he was, he would have likely been put in the bio corps, rather then the secret service.

As Frank listened to what he assumed to be this mutant's story, he realized the similarities with the story of his own group. He took a moment to come up with as well articulated of a response as he could before responding.
    "Maybe their world view is the best one. Maybe the existence of those who are radically different could cause problems with life down the line. Where I come from, those who are mutated are either killed or segregated from society, as to keep the human race pure. The problems of health defects and mental deficiencies due to centuries of radiation exposure has done too much damage for them to remain."
    It wasn't a happy answer, but it was the one Frank knew was true. Or at least it was the one he had been told was true since before he could even walk. The truth he had supported so wholeheartedly for three decades of his life.

The final question was the most simple to him however, and he responded simply. "Well most people tend to fear someone known for killing mutants for sport. Even those who don't are usually a little intimidated by an eleven foot tall walking tank." Walking tank was a term he had heard for power armor before, and it was rather fitting, with the lightly hissing valves and pneumatic locomotion.

Magiano likes this.
  12. Magiano

Magiano Young Elites
    Musical Magpie

Musician, Mimik, Thief
    Race:
    Young Elite
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    Directory:
    link
    Magiano shrugged at the others confidence in not getting eaten. “Starving can bring out ideas you'd never consider in other times.” spoken from experience. If you grew up with food withhold, you got quite resourceful in how to get just a bit more. Even if it meant hunting rats and lizards between the temples walls. And that was humans, who thought about their actions, not animals led by instincts.
    The idea that the Inquisition might be right didn't sat well with him and he frowned at the answer. “Well, more than half of the adult population died in the Bloodfever and the surviving children are all marred by it. If you were to stick to families that got out unharmed, there'd be no one left. And theirs isn't the only opinion – the sunlands treat us as a message from the gods. The skylands set down laws to protect us.” There was no ultimate right or wrong. It's been just some years since the powers started manifesting, no one could see where it might end. The era shifted. “Whats radiation?” Anything science was way beyond him.
    “But I didn't know!” the boy protested reasonable as ones history wasn't exactly written on them in bold letters. “And you're not a tank. You're a giant. An armored one, like the heroes of old times.” An idea lighting up his eyes Magiano proclaimed: “I'm going to write a song about you! What's your name? I'm Magiano.”

13. Frank chuckled at the premise of him being eaten.
    "Yes, cannibalism isn't exactly uncommon on the part of raiders and criminals, but eating me would be worse then eating your average citizen."
    It amused Frank to think of some irradiated freak somehow bringing him down, only to die from horrid mutations a few days after consuming his flesh. It would be like some sick karmic retribution if a wastelander did end up bringing him down.

As the man mentioned statistics of population, he laughed once more.
    "The majority being unclean doesn't mean the healthy have to submit. Even the few can rebuild a better world if the lesser people would step out of the way for them."
    It would be nice if the wastelanders simply realized their protests were preventing the rebuilding of the great American nation. It would have saved a lot of innocent American soldiers. As he heard of other groups from this strange man's homeland, he thought back to similar analogues from his world. Many communities welcomed, or even encouraged the mutants into their borders, and used them for their inefficient labor.
    "Well of course some welcome you, it's likely they see mutants as a free source of work, and encourage them with bureaucracy that prioritizes them from the outside world."

Then the man asked of radiation. At first Frank was going to laugh, but then he remembered that supposedly these many men and women came from worlds unlike his own.
    "Radiation is a force that is emitted from some materials and weapons. It mutates people it comes into contact with, often making them either insane, or giving them disgusting anomalies all over their skin. In the worst cases it can even make corpses of victims remain alive after death, and wreak havoc among the innocent people of America."
    Finally came the request of his name, along with him being told he was like a hero. It was somewhat odd, as often members of the general public called him quite the opposite
    "My name is Frank, Frank Horrigan. United States Secret Service."

Magiano likes this.
  14. Magiano

Magiano Young Elites
    Musical Magpie

Musician, Mimik, Thief
    Race:
    Young Elite
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    Directory:
    link
    Why eating this person would be any different to everyone else escaped Magiano, but he only blinked, shrugging it off. Who knew if people wouldn't succumb to the Bloodfever from his flesh – he certainly hadn't tried it. “No. The few can't rebuild. They can't even keep the lands going as it is and the rift only leads to more unrest. The Islands are going to regret sending resources away once the surrounding rulers catch onto the weakening.” Politics, even medieval ones, weren't so different to guess. Someone makes wrong decisions, takes a fall and the others move in to take their share.
    “And their queen is a malfetto. So are some of her brothers, but if you got a prospering land despite all it, why question it? The places where the Inquisition rules are bad off and not just because they're busy burning innocent citizens on hearsay of faults alone. It's a new era. With the powers materializing in the malfettos as they come of age, everything will change – we got magic now” Named after him, though in years to come people sure wouldn't remember that. No one knew yet if the Bloodfevers changes got passed onto the next generation, but it would come. He'd be there to see it.
    This radiation thing certainly sounded different to the Bloodfever. “Well, they never found the source, they just know it's gone now. As suddenly and unexplained as it came. They tried to blame rats for a while, but not after even the rich who'd locked themselves away got it. And it's not anomalies, like from cripples, there just were marks appearing on the skin, our colors shifting in rapid cycles to unknown ones...” Like his golden eyes, though that was a rather subtle thing. “...but every harm was from treatments during or after. No one knew how to deal with it, so they could only try.” Just that cutting the marks away wasn't doing any good. He got magic anyway. “Well, Frank Horrigan United States Service, it's a pleasure to meet you!”

15. Frank was about to take Magiano's response as a personal attack, though he quickly reminded himself that there was no way they could know of the political climate of his home. He didn't want to be overreacting here on the streets anyways. "Well that just means your few are being idiots. If they wanted stabilization they should be solving internal problems, not going straight to internationalism." He didn't quite know if this man was vested on more modern terms, though he hoped his meaning would come across anyways.

Then came more words Frank hadn't ever heard, which he was growing used to hearing in this 'Pandora'. 'Malfetto'? 'Magic'? The only magic Frank knew of was the ones that tribals invoked for a good harvest before starving to death, or that of gangsters who had never seen a plasma gun. The other word was completely lost on him. "Magic? What are you, a bunch of tribals with crystals for Gods? And what the hell is a Malfetto?" It took Frank a moment to process the rest of the man's speaking after that point.

He mentioned that the treatments for this 'Blood Fever' seemed to damage the victims more then help them. and that they seemed to come out fine. It was certainly different from radiation back home, but it was still foreign, and that made him uneasy. Then came the mention of his name, to which Frank was almost dumbfounded at how this person wouldn't recognize his title as a job rather then his name. Then again, this man was from far away, and Frank probably should have specified. "The name is just 'Frank Horrigan', United States Secret Service is my occupation."

Magiano likes this.
  16. Magiano

Magiano Young Elites
    Musical Magpie

Musician, Mimik, Thief
    Race:
    Young Elite
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    Directory:
    link
    Unlike Frank Magiano would take almost nothing offensive, even if it came to personal insults towards him or his home. Just wasn't his way. “Eh, it's not like famine and unrest in the population are things that easy to solve” The Inquisition wasn't doing it right by putting the blame on malfettos, but that was better than ignoring the issue. And there was no saying whether the other lands did that much better or just appeared to. The long run had yet to come.
    To have someone not knowing of magic and gods was not too uncommon here, had him merely blink. “Well actually it's gems, not crystals, that align with certain gods, remnants of the time they walked on earth... and we're not tribes. My place got cities just as well, it's just behind on that technology stuff.” His believe wasn't something to give up that easy. “Ah, malfettos are what you'd call mutants. I'm one. The marred survivors of the Blood Fever.” That at least shouldn't be too hard to understand, despite the differences.
    What puzzled him more was the name thing. “Then why did you say it?” he asked back, seeing no reason to include ones occupation at the introduction. Not unless you were a vendor, a traveling salesman intending to make new connections. In all honesty Magiano might not even be able to name one for himself.

17. Frank was a touch confused at the thought that a nation would focus on an outside force when internal forces ravaged heir people.
    "Well yeah, but the way you put it, it sounds like these guys are going out and hunting down mutants instead of fixing their internal problems. That's more of just bad decision making then a bad plan of action."
    What sort of nation would go straight to war? Isn't the homeland the most important thing to fight for? That's what Frank was thought at the least, and it had done them pretty good so far. Almost two hundred years of apocalypse hadn't dragged them down quite yet.

The man's mention of cities and gems of old gods was something rather odd. A city could be tribal after all, but it seemed they must have had some sort of central power, so a kingdom was most likely a more accurate description.
    "Tribal or not, whatever place you come from sounds like it probably has a king or something, always looking down people's backs and telling them what to do. And gems that connect to Gods? And I thought the Christians had weird ideas."
    The last sentence was more for himself then the person in front of him, but Frank still felt a need to say it. Small little quips were what conversations were supposed to have, right?

Finally came the question of his name, and why he had given his rank. That was the easiest question yet. "Well where I come from, that rank demands respect, and most aren't too willing to mess with you if you say it. I guess I'm just used to it in the end.
    That was how he put it anyways. Maybe he really said it to remind himself what he was still alive for. It would be an equally plausible possibility for his situation after all.

Magiano likes this.
  18. Magiano

Magiano Young Elites
    Musical Magpie

Musician, Mimik, Thief
    Race:
    Young Elite
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    Directory:
    link
    “Exactly what they're doing.” he agreed. “Burning malfettos on the stake for no other wrong than surviving.” The Skylands, while not putting them above everyone else at least enforced equality. People flocked there, for a queen who killed childs and young adults over some blemishes of the skin while her folk starved was capable of way more. People made the land and if you don't value them, they will go. What power would be left then?
    “Someone has to lead.” Magiano shrugged, not caring much. Democracy hadn't quite made it to his time yet. “Just because some royalty rules doesn't mean they'll do so for ever. Kenettras queen only got onto it by enforcing the law that malfettos were wrong and not fit to rule, putting her cousin out of the lineage. And if she goes on as it is, she'll be killed sooner than later and another will take her place. The Skylands queen has no children of her own, so she is free to choose her own successor. And the Sunlands are more ruled by the priests than the kings they set up.” Life in general went on, no matter who ruled.
    “If you want respect, make them know your name.” the boy suggested. “Everyone knows mine where I come from. The stories that come with it. That brings more respect than some mere words everyone can use.” As a musician and storyteller he knew quite some things about that and how careful chosen words could influence situations.