By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box.
Only the box is a world of its own.
We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.
Want to add a quote? Submit them here!
  1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The new season is here and there's a whole new world to explore!
    Check out the Season Updates HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Pandora is broken.
    Read More Here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Pandora is searching for staff.
    Click here for more information!

A Roaming River

Discussion in 'Pandora, Year 1 - 7' started by Haku, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Haku

Haku Guest

December 1st, Year 7

Haku was chained up again. Not restrained by a contract, but by black vines. They'd ensnared him as he was resting from hours of flying. He'd ended up in the physical world a few days ago, looking for a place that could potentially need him, but finding a river where the people still had enough faith in the spirits to call out to him was a far harder task than he had first though. And so his journey had taken him out into the more rural regions of Japan, where the towns were few and far between stretches of mountains, forests, and grassy plains.

It was when he landed that the vines wrapped around his leg leg, startling him. He took his dragon form in an attempt to break away, but more of the strange vines grasped onto his body, ensnaring him by the legs, horns, neck, and body. he snapped at them with his teeth, but more vines replaced the ones that he destroyed. Soon, he was being dragged downward, his thrashing doing nothing to slow his kidnapping. As a growl escaped his throat, Haku disappeared.

In the Elysium Fields, a portal opened up. Moments later, a silver scaled dragon with a blue mane of fur forced its way out into the open. Still thrashing a bit, Haku tore his way free of the vines and curved his flight towards the open sky, the wind kicking up around him. When he was sure he was no longer being restrained, he began to calm down and take in his surroundings as he hovered many meters above the grassy fields. This was not the forest. Where had he been brought to?

His eyes panned over the area around him, and he spotted a section of a river in the distance. It did not give him an answer, but it was a place where he'd feel safer and less exposed. He could trust the water, at least. The dragon spirit made his way over to it, and landed on the riverbank to recollect himself.

Leah Clearwater likes this.
  2. Leah Clearwater

Leah Clearwater Twilight

Guardswoman
    Race:
    Shapeshifter
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    Leah had to admit, this was not how she was expecting her day to turn out. Being snatched by a bunch of vines and dumped into some random forest then meeting a transformer was certainly a surprise. Still, she wasn't the type of person to just roll over and accept things without at least trying to do something.

The reason she hadn't already made it to the town she was told about certainly wasn't because she was nervous about seeing so many people again. Nope, definitely not it. She was just... enjoying the chance to go running without a care.

Honestly, she really was starting to lose herself to the speed being a wolf granted her. Simply hunting and running out in the forest was actually rather relaxing, mostly because she knew there weren't going to be any packmates trying to force their emotions over hers.

One thing she wasn't enjoying was the odd stamina problems she was having. Apparently upon being brought to Pandora, she was a lot weaker than before, because she was sure her stamina was usually much better.

That was what led her to the nearby river once she spotted it. Her sides were heaving as she tried to catch her breath, exhilarated and exhausted. Before she could get her drink, however, she spotted something new.

"What the hell?!" she thought. Of course, given her current form it came out as a surprised bark and growl.

Haku likes this.
  3. Haku

Haku Guest

He was not expecting a wolf to be the first thing to stumble upon him, though it didn't seem to notice his presence immediately. Come to think of it, weren't wolves usually smaller than that one? Not that it mattered much to him. Animals generally didn't pick fights with spirits.

When it barked and growled, Haku snorted and lifted his head up to seem even taller. He was not afraid to stand his ground. It was bad enough that he'd been kidnapped, and he wasn't about to be forced to move again. Sharp green eyes locked onto the wolf's, daring it to try anything.

4. Leah Clearwater

Leah Clearwater Twilight

Guardswoman
    Race:
    Shapeshifter
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    Alright, picking a fight with a dragon was probably not the smartest move Leah could have made. It didn't seem to want to attack her, just make it clear that it wasn't going to be taking any shit, which Leah could respect because it was a dragon and she wasn't stupid enough to try and fight it.

There was a tense moment where she just stared at it, ready for something to happen, but eventually the need for a drink won out over her fear. Carefully, she inched closer to the river, keeping an eye on the dragon the whole time. If she hadn't been running all day, she might have just cut her losses and run, but the water was just too tempting.

With one last, hesitant gaze up at the dragon, she started lapping at the river, desperate for a drink. Her sides continued to heave as she went back to catching her breath.

Haku likes this.
  5. Haku

Haku Guest

Haku watched the wolf take its time getting to the river, and then start drinking. Huh. Well that wasn't what he'd been expecting. Fair enough. He wasn't going to deny someone water just because he was irritated. It looked pretty exhausted, actually. Besides, it wasn't his to get possessive over anyway. With a small nod, Haku broke the staring contest and sat down, spreading out on the riverbank.

Either out of a sense of empathy or as a passive way to apologize for his behavior, he flicked his tail and a cool wind began to blow across the river, ruffling his fur and whiskers.

6. Leah Clearwater

Leah Clearwater Twilight

Guardswoman
    Race:
    Shapeshifter
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    Water. Nice, cool, refreshing water. Leah almost felt like she hadn't had any water to drink for the past few days. It was pretty clear to her that she'd need to figure out what had changed about her powers upon being brought to Pandora. She didn't want to get in a fight only to find out that her healing wasn't super fast anymore.

Her contemplation was interrupted by the dragon swishing its tail, followed by a sudden cool breeze. It was nice, especially on her overheated fur, but it'd probably be better on her regular skin. She considered her choices, but hey, the dragon seemed friendly enough, and it wasn't wearing clothes either, so no harm no foul, right?

Before she could convince herself otherwise, she phased back into a human right there. Once her hands were free, she cupped them and splashed some water into her face. That, along with the cool breeze was very nice. Sure, pretty soon she'd be freezing cold, but at the moment, it was nice.

Haku likes this.
  7. Haku

Haku Guest

The wind didn't stop, but Haku froze in place when the large wolf he'd been watching out the corner of his eye was very suddenly replaced by a woman. A naked woman. He blinked a few times, trying to process what was going on. beasts didn't turn into humans. Was she a wolf spirit then? Or did this world work differently than the one he came from?

Haku, being pretty old himself, wasn't embarrassed by the sight, but most people he interacted with were a little more modest than this. If anything, he thought she might be embarrassed. Should he say anything, or just ignore it? No, he didn't want this to lead to a misunderstanding. He had enough pride to not want to be thought of as some kind of pervert.

His white scales fell away, most of his body disintegrating until only a young boy was left sitting cross-legged on the bank, green eyes looking pointedly away from Leah. He cleared his throat to get her attention.

8. Leah Clearwater

Leah Clearwater Twilight

Guardswoman
    Race:
    Shapeshifter
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    It didn't take long for Leah to realize that she'd made a terrible mistake. Out of the corner of her eye, the dragon seemed to be changing somewhat, which should have tipped her off hat something wasn't quite right. It wasn't until she heard someone clear his throat that she lifted her head and noticed that in the dragon's place was a human.

There was a brief pause as Leah just stared, trying to keep her calm. "Oh... you're not just..." she stuttered, "you actually know what clothes are..." She had no words to describe what she had been thinking, or how surprised she was. At least the dragon was being more polite than the wolves in her pack, so she was at least taking it somewhat well.

Haku likes this.
  9. Haku

Haku Guest

He couldn't quite stop the slight smile on his face at her... enlightening statement. Was she not used to seeing things like him? Considering the weakened spiritual state of his own world, that shouldn't surprise him.

"...Yes, I am aware of them." Haku stood up carefully, straightening out his robes and closing his eyes for a moment. "But I thought most humans liked to wear them when outside. Unless I missed something in the last decade." He sounded almost as young as he looked, but the way he spoke implied that he was definitely not 12. "But then again, you were a wolf a minute ago."

10. Leah Clearwater

Leah Clearwater Twilight

Guardswoman
    Race:
    Shapeshifter
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    "Well, I just... I do like clothes," Leah objected, "and yes, I can turn into a wolf. It's something my tribe... we're shapeshifters, our well, our totem is a wolf." She was talking to a dragon, she could not get over that. Not just a dragon, but an apparently ancient dragon.

"I would put something on, but I was kind of dropped in here without any," she muttered apologetically, "turning into a powerful wolf is nice, but the amount of pants I've gone through since my first transformation has cost most of my life savings."

Haku likes this.
  11. Haku

Haku Guest

He didn't think many humans lived in tribes anymore, but then again, he'd never met one that claimed to be a shapeshifter. Perhaps some still managed to hold onto magic even as the world around them progressed technologically.

"The only beings I know of who can change shape in such a way are spirits like myself," Haku said. "I've never heard of a totem before, but it sounds like a protective wolf spirit." Why why would it force them to forgo clothing to use its power?

"...I was taken to... wherever this place is by vines as well. I thought something had binded and dragged me here for a purpose, but no one was around."

12. Leah Clearwater

Leah Clearwater Twilight

Guardswoman
    Race:
    Shapeshifter
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    "Well, according to my tribe's history, we were spirit warriors," Leah explained, "we could leave our bodies to protect the tribe, until an evil usurper stole the chief's body while he was outside of it and then forbid anyone to ever leave their body again. The chief found a powerful wolf and used its body instead, and we stopped being spirit warriors and started being shapeshifters."

That was the cliffnotes story, anyway. It didn't exactly contain the part where the vampires factored in, but that wasn't really important at the moment. Instead she shook her head at the dragon's misunderstanding of why they were brought.

"I met someone who explained what this is all about," she said, deciding to leave out the robot part, "this is some world called Pandora, and apparently everyone was grabbed by those vines. I'm not sure if there's a purpose other than some gods being bored."

Haku likes this.
  13. Haku

Haku Guest

"Spirit warriors..." He'd never heard of humans with the power to leave their physical forms, let alone borrow an animal's, but there was much that he didn't know of even at his age. Maybe these spirit warriors were like the priests at shrines, more attuned to the world around them. After Leah explained their situation, Haku sighed.

"Sometimes the gods being bored is all the reason they need to do things such as this," he said. Well this might take a while to sort out then. "I suppose I should try and make myself at home here until these gods change their minds and let me go. If at all..." This would be a setback, unless the one he was searching for ended up here in Pandora as well. But what were the odds of that?

14. Leah Clearwater

Leah Clearwater Twilight

Guardswoman
    Race:
    Shapeshifter
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    "If I hadn't exploded into a wolf a couple years ago, I might've dismissed those old legends," Leah admitted, "but I've since lost most of my skepticism. It's probably part of the reason I didn't immediately assume I was hallucinating."

"I've heard there's some towns around here, but I haven't gotten a chance to see them yet," she added. Of course, the reason for that was of modesty, since she still had no idea how she was going to get herself set up without any clothes.

Haku likes this.
  15. Haku

Haku Guest

"Something like that would make a person want to believe in myths, if only to have an explanation." Humans liked it when everything made sense, even if they had to come up with convoluted theories to make unexplained events logical.

"...Right, you still need clothing," Haku said. "I'd offer to make you invisible, but that would only last as long as you can hold your breath." He paused, and then looked almost shy. "I could enter a nearby town and retrieve something for you." Unlike her human form, his came with robes, so he might as well take advantage of it. "If that's acceptable for you, Miss...?"

16. Leah Clearwater

Leah Clearwater Twilight

Guardswoman
    Race:
    Shapeshifter
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    "Too bad explanations sometimes makes things worse," Leah said sadly. Would she have preferred being completely ignorant to how things really happened between Sam and Emily? If she just thought that it was a bad break-up and Emily was lucky to find someone who didn't mind the scars left by that 'bear'?

There probably was no good answer to that. Either way, it hurt, and it didn't look like it would stop hurting anytime soon. Not when everyone agreed that her opinions on the matter reflected badly on her, and not that she might have some legitimate grievances.

At least the dragon seemed to pick up on her problem without her needing to say it out loud. His solution was a surprise, she had to admit. "Oh, I- uh, thank you," she said, slightly blindsided, "ah, Clearwater. Leah Clearwater."

Haku likes this.
  17. Haku

Haku Guest

He nodded as he stood up. "Clearwater... that's a strong name. You may call me Haku if you wish." To humans, his full name didn't hold much meaning, especially now that he had no domain of his own, so he didn't see the point of burdening Leah with it. "I will be back momentarily." The air shifted around him, and Haku seemed to melt away, disappearing before her eyes. Though he was impossible to see or hear as he sprinted towards town much faster than a human should run, his scent was still detectable.

About 20 minutes passed before his scent grew stronger again, and then he melted back into view with a folded up bundle of clothes in his hands, along with a pair of sneakers. They weren't intricate or expensive looking, but they still had the tags on them. Yes, it was stealing, but he wasn't the type to worry too much about that if it was a one time thing. He couldn't exactly pay without currency anyway, and the shopkeeper had failed to notice him enter and leave.

"Those should be able to fit..." Haku said, handing them over. He'd grabbed larger sizes just in case, not used to the number system humans labeled them with. Not many things seemed hand tailored anymore.

18. Leah Clearwater

Leah Clearwater Twilight

Guardswoman
    Race:
    Shapeshifter
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    "Haku," Leah repeated to herself under her breath. She didn't want to jump to conclusions, but it sounded like her assumption that he was Japanese was correct. That thought was gone as quickly as Haku, once he disappeared.

Without even waiting to wrap her head around that, she quickly turned back into a wolf. It wasn't likely, but there was always the chance that someone else could show up, and she didn't want to be caught with her pants down, so to speak.

When Haku returned, it was to the sight of Leah once again as a wolf, staring into the water. While hard to tell, given her different features, her contemplation was still causing her brow to furrow, as it always did when she considered what she was going to do without a pack.

When Haku handed over the clothes, she started at him, waiting for him to turn around before turning back into a human and getting dressed very quickly. To most humans she would be too blurry to make out anything compromising.

Haku likes this.
  19. Haku

Haku Guest

He turned away from Leah in her wolf form, waiting for her to finish dressing before speaking again. Haku had caught her staring down at the water when he had returned, and he could guess it wasn't out of a sense of wanting something to drink.

"My apologies if it's not my business to ask, but you seem to be troubled by something. Something beyond clothing, I mean..." Haku said, turning around to look at her. He hadn't met many people that weren't Japanese, so he found himself noticing the minute differences between humans now that he'd started to travel.

20. Leah Clearwater

Leah Clearwater Twilight

Guardswoman
    Race:
    Shapeshifter
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    To say Leah had not been surprised to hear anyone care about how she felt would be a lie. Even basic decency was nonexistent back in her world, at least where she was concerned. From getting her clothes to being polite enough to not stare at her while she got dressed, she had to say that Haku was one of the nicer people she'd talked to recently.

"I was just thinking..." she hesitated, trying to put her thoughts into words, "I was part of a pack, back in my world, basically never leaving me alone. I've always wanted to just be away from all of them, but now I'm in a strange new world and it's really hard to figure out where I stand. It's just that now that I have my freedom, I'm not sure what to do with it."

Haku likes this.