HeaderBox1

Welcome
to Pandora

By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box. Only the box is a world of its own.

We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.

Spotlight

Story Hub Banner

Want to add a quote? Submit them here!

1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. This beautiful little ranch along with its famous Lon Lon milk are back! Just don't harass the Cuccos. Make sure to visit while it's still here!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. A voice has begun narrating the inner thoughts of the citizens of Pandora! Read more about it here
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Pandora is searching for staff.
    Click here for more information!

Private A Stich in Time Saves Nine

Discussion in 'Silverwood' started by Chise Hatori, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Chise Hatori

Chise Hatori The Ancient Magus' Bride
    Dearest Child of the Night

Council Secretary
    Race:
    Human/Sleigh Beggy
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    @John Uskglass

January 10th
    Ever since she started living in Silverwood, Chise had her fair share of encounters with people who ended up getting injured in some way or another. Brian, the man during the Samhain celebration, Carol... they all ended up needing help, but all Chise could really do was offer healing potions that she luckily had on hand. There was always a fear deep down that one day she wouldn't have one of those right when she needed it the most, so she decided to take a preventive measure.

And that was asking John to teach her healing magic, the first time she would ever asked for something in particular to be taught to her since she became his apprentice. It was something that had been knocking in her head for some time now, but today she finally decided to make that request. Since it was still early, she did her whole morning routine of showering and changing to an outfit more appropriate for the lower temperature before joining John at the lobby. Fortunately, he didn't happen to pick a day where he decided to just vanish without a trace.

"John... can I ask you something?" She began approaching him, hoping that she wasn't interrupting anything.

2. John Uskglass

John Uskglass Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell

Magician King
    Race:
    Human (Magician)
    Alignment:
    Lawful Neutral
    Pandora was a place unlike Faerie, unlike England, unlike any other world he knew. That much John had gathered from his first day in this strange world, cut off from all others. Though to those unfamiliar with him the idea may have seemed preposterous, The Raven King knew the ways if this world limited his magic. How much he could not say, but then, he had yet to test the furthest limits if his abilities.

He'd gathered an odd assortment of items to himself that morning. Sitting cross legged on the floor, set by his side were a candlestick and what might have once been a wedding band, though the ring was tarnished now with age, scratched and nicked and dented. Still, it would serve it's purpose, it's meaning was still there after all. It would make a good enough Handsel regardless. In between his fingers he absentmindedly spun a peacock feather.

There came then the sound of footsteps. John payed little mind to it at first, but as Chise stepped into his line of vision, he glanced up. "You are standing on the Path." He murmured. He gestured with the feather for her to move just to the side a bit. "What was it that you needed?"

Chise Hatori likes this.
  3. Chise Hatori

Council Secretary
    Race:
    Human/Sleigh Beggy
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    The scene Chise ended up coming across was something she didn't quite understand. She didn't doubt there was some purpose behind it, but it was still strange to see John sitting cross-legged with a candlestick next to him and... a wedding ring? Whatever he was doing, Chise didn't know what it was, only that she was apparently on the way.

"S-Sorry." She moved to the side as instructed. It looked like she had chosen a bad time to talk to him after all. "Um... I can leave it for later, if you're busy."

It was something they could at any other time, so there wasn't really any urgency to it. On the other side of the coin, she didn't know if what John was doing was really important or not, so she thought she might as well play it safe.

4. John Uskglass

Magician King
    Race:
    Human (Magician)
    Alignment:
    Lawful Neutral
    "No." He shook his head. Setting the feather to the ground beside him, he turned towards her, raising a questioning brow. She was stuttering, seemed nervous. She did tend towards the meek, unfortunately. Shaking his head, John sighed and rose to his feet. "I have not even begun yet." He assured her as he strode towards her. 'Later,' He would be busy, later -- if all worked out properly -- he would be entertaining the summoned spirit of a dead woman. All considered, her timing could not have been better.

"You should not expect me to turn you into a frog for daring to ask something of me." He drawled. "Now, what is it?"

Chise Hatori likes this.
  5. Chise Hatori

Council Secretary
    Race:
    Human/Sleigh Beggy
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    So he hadn't started yet, he was only in the process of beginning whatever it was that he was trying to do. Chise was still interrupting, but at least she didn't ruin his work with an untimely arrival. He wanted to know what she wanted, but Chise couldn't help but be a little distracted by one of the things he said.

"You can do that?" She asked, mostly out of curiosity and without any indication of feeling actually threatened by something of that kind.

All things considered turning a person into an animal would probably be among the simpler things John could do, compared to what she had seen since they met. Was there anything he couldn't do, Chise always wondered. The barrier magic he used during Samhain seemed to take a toll on him, so clearly even someone as powerful as him had his limits, but in light of everything he could do... His magic seemed truly boundless.

Chise shook her head as if to rid herself of that train of thought. "I... I wanted to request that you taught me how to use healing magic. I've seen many people get hurt since I started living here and while I usually have healing potions with me, I don't want to take the risk of not having one in a time of need. That's all."

6. John Uskglass

Magician King
    Race:
    Human (Magician)
    Alignment:
    Lawful Neutral
    She asked that question a lot, didn't she? More yet, for forms of magic that, to him, seemed to be nothing, mere child's play. All simple enough, really, though he understood that it would not seem so to some others. Still it was magic. By it's very nature as boundless and wild and...more, so much more than even he could truely imagine.

But John only shrugged in response, raising a brow at her distraction as though to prompt her onwards. Chise shook her head quickly, and them moved on to an explanation of her purpose there. Head coking to the side, John looked at her considerately, only to shake his head. That was what she had been so nervous to ask of him? From her manner he might have almost expected some rearranging of the very walls of reality atleast.

" Atleast you are coming to me to ask this time." He murmured, shaking his head as he gestured for Chise to enter the room properly and take a seat, so that they might better speak.

7. Chise Hatori

Council Secretary
    Race:
    Human/Sleigh Beggy
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    Did John want her to speak with him more often? Chise couldn’t help but think that from listening to his words. He was her teacher, so maybe he was expecting her to ask him more things, usually she reserved questions for when he was trying to explain things to her, rather than just coming at him with an inquiry out of the blue. Still, he seemed to be such a busy person that she didn’t want to get in the way of what he was doing, like she could be right now.

He gestured for her to come in and so she did, taking a seat next to him and just waiting to hear what he had to say on the topic of healing magic. Of course, she already knew that there was a bit of a problem in trying to teach someone that type of spell, but she figured John would have thought about it already and so she didn’t need to voice it. He probably already had some kind of idea in mind, though she hoped that this didn’t involve him hurting himself and teaching her how to heal him…

8. John Uskglass

Magician King
    Race:
    Human (Magician)
    Alignment:
    Lawful Neutral
    John's eyes traced over Chise's path as she stepped more fully into the room, taking a place beside him. His eyes sweeping over her for a moment, he sighed, before pushing his own things aside and turning more fully to face his student. "What is it, exactly that you are looking to learn?" He asked her, leaning back against his arms as he contemplated how exactly he was going to go about this.

The obvious lack of anyone in need of healing was their main obstacle but that could be fixed easily enough. Granted, she did not necessarily need to heal a person, depending on what she wanted to know, but at the same time. Well. He'd rather not have to slice his arm open with only a girl who'd never attempted such magic before being the one to knit the flesh back together.

He took in a deep breath, picking up the feather again and snaking it between his fingers as he went on, "I can teach you whatever you need to learn, but some thing will be...more complicated to go about than others."

Chise Hatori likes this.
  9. Chise Hatori

Council Secretary
    Race:
    Human/Sleigh Beggy
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    That was a bit of an odd question, if only because Chise had already said what she wanted to learn from him. Granted, healing by itself was a broad term, but that was exactly why she went with it, she wanted to be able to heal people from whatever injuries they could have sustained, just so she wouldn't be at risk of not being able to heal them with her potions.

"Well... I just want to be able to heal wounds, cure sickness if possible... Anything you could teach me regarding healing people, I would like to know." She answered, even though in the end she still left everything very vague.

Of course, magic wasn't always simple, a lot of the time, in fact. She knew that depending on how bad a person's state was, it would be more difficult to heal them, but still, she figured she might as well give it a try.

10. John Uskglass

Magician King
    Race:
    Human (Magician)
    Alignment:
    Lawful Neutral
    Right...

That did not narrow things down for him as much as he would have liked, and as he considered chise's request John frowned, still twisting that feather he held through his fingers. "It is a wide field of magic you are asking to learn." He pointed out, eyeing her for a long moment, before suddenly he pushed himself back upright again, pulling the knife he kept at his belt free. and curling the feather's shaft across the blade.

With a near silent 'snap!' the feather splintered in half, irridecent blue and green fibers fluttering to the ground in a colorful flurry. "It seems best that we start today, then" He slid the shards of feather across the ground, before Chise, directing her attention to them. "Wounds are usually simple enough to heal, the basic principle is the same as it would be for anything else." He murmured, passing a hand over the feather, before pulling back to reveal that it was whole again. "You must remind the pieces that they belong together. Convince them to fall into place, it is how they want to be."

He shrugged, waving his hand back over the feather again an causing the shards to once more break. As he gestured for Chise to begin her attempt, he cocked his head to the side, eyeing her for a moment. "Is there anything that brings this up now?"

Chise Hatori likes this.
  11. Chise Hatori

Council Secretary
    Race:
    Human/Sleigh Beggy
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    As she thought, there was a lot to cover in that field, but Chise didn't mind, as long as she learned how to heal others, she would be satisfied. The example John showed her, breaking apart a feather and then bringing it all together again, brought something to mind that she hadn't considered.

"So healing magic can be used both to heal wounds, but also to fix broken objects?" She asked John as he broke the feather apart again, now for her to try.

He said she had to remind the pieces that they belonged together, as if they were alive. It was much in the same vein as asking for the help of trees when defending herself from attackers, but it still felt odd to be trying to communicate with parts of a feather. John's question echoing in her mind made it a little difficult to concentrate, so she thought it would be best to answer him first.

"Like I said before, I've seen a lot of people get hurt, in one case the person would've died if it wasn't for the fact I had my potions with me." She explained, then bringing both of her hands close to the broken pieces of the feather as she began trying to perform the spell herself. "I... I hate getting hurt, I hate feeling pain, and I don't like seeing others in pain too. If there's anything I can learn to make them stop suffering, to allow them to keep living... I want to know it."

She closed her eyes and began to focus exclusively on her task, telling the pieces to regroup, that they needed to be together once again. It took quite a bit longer than it did for John, but eventually Chise waved her hands and the pieces were back together again. She opened her eyes, looking at the finished work, and smiled.

"It's something that has been in my mind for some time."

12. John Uskglass

Magician King
    Race:
    Human (Magician)
    Alignment:
    Lawful Neutral
    "You speak of it as though they are two different things." John murmured as he watched her. It was one of the things he'd come to notice most quickly in his time amongst them, this sharp delineation between people and things that most humans seemed to posses. As though a stone or a star, a feather or a tree did not posses their own desires and goals, as if they could not all be communicated with and convinced.

Madness it seemed to him. But then, again perhaps it was madness from the other side as well.

There was a reason, after all that the Sidhe preferred madmen as their companions, after all.

He listened to her explanation, nodding slowly. She was, odd as it was to make that comparison rather like Lift in that way, and he felt the he could almost...almost begin to understand it, though the suffering of others had long been such an average part of his own life. Entertainment for those who had raised him. it dd not mean he had to particularly enjoy it however... and it was nothing to odd to wish to be of use...

A soft sigh hummed past his lips as he watched Chise pull pack finally examining her finished work. "Good then." He murmured, examining it. That was the easy part. Again he waved his hand over the newly fixed feather. As the shards broke apart this time however, something wet and warm began to seep out from the broken shaft, already coating and slicking down the frayed fibers of the feather. II bleed.

"Now do it again."

#12 John Uskglass, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    Chise Hatori likes this.
  13. Chise Hatori

Council Secretary
    Race:
    Human/Sleigh Beggy
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    When John spoke, it was as if something clicked in Chise's mind. There wasn't much different in repairing a cut made in flesh from a cut made in some fabric, was there? At the end of the day, you were merely stitching both ends together once again, it was just that the human body was much more complex than a simple piece of cloth, with it having much more inside of it than just being a hollow shell made of flesh.

That was exemplified when John broke the feather apart once more, except this time it started... bleeding? It wasn't blood, but the way that liquid had begun leaking from it was reminiscent of a wound bleeding. What was that feather to begin with? Whatever it was, Chise had to put it back together again, and that included the liquid.

She made the same process as last time, bringing her hands together and closing her eyes, trying to speak to the parts and the liquid itself so as to tell them to return to their original shape. However, having to talk to both at once was proving itself difficult, so after some time without success she opened her eyes again, looking contemplative.

"The difference between healing a wound to simply fixing a broken object... It's just that a body has many things that need to be put together at the same time, right? There's closing the wound itself, bringing the blood back inside of it, undoing the damage done to the muscles... All of that at the same time, right?" She asked, glancing at John with a calm, but clearly curious expression.

14. John Uskglass

Magician King
    Race:
    Human (Magician)
    Alignment:
    Lawful Neutral
    She clearly was focusing intently on the task before her, that was obvious enough. And yet as she opened her eyes and drew back for the second time, the feather still lay between them, splintered bleeding shards still separate from one another. It was apparently proving too difficult for her, and yet...

And yet as she stared down at it, her expression contemplative, as she spoke, it was clear that she was beginning to grasp the idea of it. "Yes." He murmured, a rare smile just beginning to tug at the corners of his lips and crack at his expression. She understood! Obvious approval seemed to light his eyes as he glanced up at her and nodded. "That is all there is to it, there is more to be done."

#14 John Uskglass, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    Chise Hatori likes this.
  15. Chise Hatori

Council Secretary
    Race:
    Human/Sleigh Beggy
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    After she spoke, Chise saw John begin forming a smile. It was a rare sight to see him like that, but that also made it so that when he did smile, it felt all the more special. Not only that, but looking at his eyes, she could see... pride? Was he proud of her for figuring out how the magic worked?

"I see." Chise couldn't help but smile back at John, although hers was similarly small. It didn't last long, however, as some more concerning questions began popping up in her mind. "What happens if it's done wrong then? Does it just result in an incomplete job? Is it also possible to overdo it and heal too much?"

For someone with Chise's power, it was easy to lose control. She had to know what risks there were before she could ever attempt using that type of magic on a living being. The concern was evident in her expression, alongside ever present feelings of doubt

16. John Uskglass

Magician King
    Race:
    Human (Magician)
    Alignment:
    Lawful Neutral
    It was...good to see her smile. And if she felt proud for understanding it she had every right to, so few who he had met here actually grasped the concept. It was difficult not to like it, seeing that satisfaction he himself had felt, what felt like ages ago, when he was first learning. Even as subtle as it may have been.

That smile quickly faded though and Chise moved on to questons that John had never really considered. He looked thoughtful for a moment, and then shrugged. "It is magic, it's..." He searched for the right word. "Unpredictable. I cannot see how one would go too far in healing someone however..."He waved aside the question as though it were nothing, only to then glimpse the expression on Chise's face.

That look, that...concern and doubt, two things which seemed to utterly ailen to his own being, made him hesitate for a moment. His lips pressed together for a moment, gaze drawing inward, before he reached for her, resting a hand atop one of her own."You will practice, and you will come to understand this better." He assured her, "you do not have to immediately leap to anything you feel you are not ready for."

Chise Hatori likes this.
  17. Chise Hatori

Council Secretary
    Race:
    Human/Sleigh Beggy
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    John couldn't really give her a solid answer, but it did sound like it wasn't possible to heal someone too much, which did put her at ease a little. What she feared the most was accidentally using too much magic and causing harm instead of helping, it was very easy for her to do that considering how some of her experiments with potions went.

Chise felt John's hand touch hers as he reassured her that with enough practice she would understand it better and not have to worry about it. He reminded her to take it all in steps and to not go for something too complex before she was ready for it. Thinking about it, she did often try to do complicated things right out of the bat, without even bothering practicing before doing it and often it didn't do much good for health.

"Alright." She smiled again, looking amused by her reflection on her own recklessness. "Just one step at a time and..." Something then clicked again and her eyes widened slightly, she looked down at the broken shards and the liquid on the floor, stroke her chin as she thought about it for a couple of seconds before finally taking a deep breath in preparation.

Her hands were above the broke feather again and she began "communicating" with it. First, she focused on getting the liquid back inside the shard and stay there. She waved a hand and the liquid was back inside without seeping out of it, then she focused on getting the shards back together like she had done the first time and, while still not as quickly as John had done before, she managed to bring them together faster than before by repeating the same motions.

When she opened her eyes, she saw the feather returned to its original form and smiled again. "It isn't so bad when it's done in parts." She spoke, not to John, but to herself