HeaderBox1

Welcome
to Pandora

By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box. Only the box is a world of its own.

We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.

Spotlight

Story Hub Banner

Want to add a quote? Submit them here!

1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The snow topped buildings and shops of Hogsmeade are all decked out for the holidays, ready for visitors! Make sure to visit while it's still here!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. A magical wish-granting pool has been discovered in the desert. Read more about it here
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The WRITING CONQUEST is back! Complete challenges and earn points for your team!
    Click here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Pandora is searching for staff.
    Click here for more information!

Answered A Story Told in Pictures?

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by Stardust, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Stardust

Stardust Player

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Neutral
    Hey staff people! I was thinking about apping Master Peace from one of Yugioh's card storylines somewhere down the line. Master Peace and the related cards that tell his story have never been involved in the series' anime and manga and come solely from the physical card game, but he's the main protagonist of a fairly simple and linear plotline and there's plenty to draw on, but the issue is that almost the entire story is told through card art and card effects -- there are literally four sentences of finite lore about the characters and storyline and, while that actually does explain a lot by merit of filling in the blanks, the rest has to be drawn from the pictures and interpretation of card effects and piecing things together, and a lot will probably be up to interpretation because of a measure of vagueness in the source material. There are a handful of stories told by Yugioh card art that have an accompanying guidebook that spells out the storyline a bit better, but the Draco storyline that Master Peace comes from isn't one of them.

I know that someone is already playing Mahad (the Dark Magician) with some measure of inspiration from Dark Magician's card lore (i.e. stuff taken from the cards rather than present in the anime) and that the FAQ says that concept albums are fine as long as they have a storyline and characterization, but I don't know what jurisdiction this would all fall under. Two characters from Magic: The Gathering were recently accepted, but that game has a lot more background text and such covering it than this particular storyline, so I figured I'd ask just to be sure. Thanks in advance!

2. Steel

Steel [PUNK ROCK BLASTING ON RADIO]
    Lore Division

The Wolf King
    Race:
    Mistborn
    Hey there, Stardust!

After looking into this, we couldn't find any stories relating to Master Peace. So, unfortunately, it doesn't seem like he is a character that can be apped. If you want to app a character, they need to have at least some canon material to build off of, as well as some hints to their personality, as this question in the FAQ mentions.

But do feel free to try for some other character instead, and if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!

3. Stardust

Stardust Player

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Neutral
    The story absolutely exists, and my question is about whether or not it's okay because it's not a story told through conventional means. A lot of Yugioh's lore is poorly or incompletely documented on sites like wikis and this would be something that's fairly hard to just look up. For reference, here's a summary of the first half of the Draco storyline and here's a web of all of the cards that are a part of the story. I swear, there's definitely canon material and a lot of it.

4. Steel

Steel [PUNK ROCK BLASTING ON RADIO]
    Lore Division

The Wolf King
    Race:
    Mistborn
    Unfortunately, it still really isn't enough information to go off of. We would be open to a character like this if their story was contained in an official guidebook, like the stories you mentioned in your first post. But as it stands now, the story told in the cards alone is entirely up to fanon interpretation, which we feel isn't enough to build a character off of to roleplay on Pandora.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!