By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box.
Only the box is a world of its own.
We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.
Want to add a quote? Submit them here!
  1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The new season is here and there's a whole new world to explore!
    Check out the Season Updates HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Pandora is broken.
    Read More Here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Pandora is searching for staff.
    Click here for more information!

A touch of magic

Discussion in 'Pandora, Year 1 - 7' started by Porpentina Goldstein, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Porpentina Goldstein

Porpentina Goldstein Harry Potter

DoI Officer/ teacher
    Race:
    Witch
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    Tina sipped her coffee thoughtfully, looking at the walls as though she could see the wards which Magnus had been putting into place. This would really help the family. At least she was being proactive about the situation the family had been in. For Tina, family was always the most important thing to her and if her magic was limited and she wasn't able to protect them, well, then she'd committed herself to finding someone who could. Magnus seemed trustworthy, him being with the Gild and all.

She shrugged a little. She didn't really want to put him under pressure and make him suffer under her gaze for however long it looked. She was interested in how his magic worked, but she couldn't just stand watching him for the next hour or so. "I'll go and plan some work for the Schola Praeditos in the next room; you don't need me watching you. If you need anything, I'll just be in there." She said and then took herself off, looking at planning some of her lessons for her students for the next few weeks.

2. Magnus Bane

Magnus Bane The Mortal Instruments

High Warlock of Brooklyn
    Race:
    Warlock
    Directory:
    link
    "Alright," Magnus said, giving her a small nod before she retreated into the other room to work on her lesson plans. That was one thing he was thankful for when it came to the time he spent helping Merlin out with the library at the Schola - he wasn't actually in charge of any of the students. His hours were far more flexible that way, making it easier to work around his obligations at the Hotel Valentino, but he admired those who did set aside the time to teach proper classes.

Once he finished his coffee he set the cup down in the kitchen in the sink before returning to the room he was warding next, continuing for the next hour or so to go through room by room, double-checking that his own magic wasn't in any way damaging the protection spells already in place, as well as testing the strength and stability of his own magic after it was done and settled. It was a long process, made a bit longer by the short breaks he continued to take to allow his magic to recharge a bit and not become too draining, but he knew it was important not to rush through.

When he was entirely done he stood himself in the doorframe of the room she was in, giving the wood a quick tap to let her know he was there. "I do believe my work here is complete," he said, with a smile. He didn't mind going out of his way to do something like this knowing how much it meant to keep her family safe. He may not have his own Warlocks to look over here, but that didn't mean he couldn't do his best to keep an eye out for the other magic users in town. Who knew, maybe he could work his way into an unofficial 'High Warlock of Pandora Town' standing if he kept this up.

"I just tried to portal myself out and couldn't even get the first flicker of a portal to open so, I can promise it will at least keep anyone with powers aligned with my own out."

Porpentina Goldstein likes this.
  3. Porpentina Goldstein

DoI Officer/ teacher
    Race:
    Witch
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    Tina got through some of the paperwork for the school in the time it took Magnus to protect the house. She was also looking at some of the things for the Department of Intelligence. Obviously it was nothing too secret, but it was just some admin work she hadn't really got to in the office. She sometimes just liked to work at home where she could be with Queenie and Modesty. It was nicer than working in a dark, cramped office in the middle of Pandora Town. She took her opportunities where she found them.

When Magnus spoke, she took her head up out of the paperwork and stood up, rather than remaining at the table in front of him. She looked quite impressed at him when he said he had struggled to portal out of the house. That was something; she didn't mind not being able to apparate in and out of her home. That was the arrangement they'd had at the apartment back in New York. It just made her feel safer. "Thank you, Magnus, I really appreciate it." She paused and went to her bag, which was on the kitchen side, "Do I owe you anything for your trouble? I'm not sure a cup of coffee is enough to show my gratitude."

4. Magnus Bane

High Warlock of Brooklyn
    Race:
    Warlock
    Directory:
    link
    Magnus waved off the question, shaking his head. "Don't worry about it," he told her, a small smile on his face. He charged for most of the work he did for people, yes, but those were usually trivial or selfish pursuits. When it was something like this, something that truly mattered, he didn't mind showing the more generous side of himself which didn't often present itself. Granted, it helped that having two jobs left him with more money than he really needed here -- unlike back home, it wasn't as if there were endless places to adventure to and spend all of his money in one night of crazy adventures through a foreign country. He had less need to nickle and dime people for every little thing he did, especially someone as kind and genuine as Tina.

"Perhaps one day I'll require your assistance with something and I can call in a favor, how does that sound?" That was another thing Magnus learned over the years. It was one thing to hoard physical possessions, jewels and money and relics all had their value - but there was also unlimited value in trading in favors.

5. Porpentina Goldstein

DoI Officer/ teacher
    Race:
    Witch
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    Tina looked like she might argue with him right away. They might not have much between herself and Queenie, but she had put away enough for this job. She had been expecting him to want some kind of compensation for his time, and because it was important to her family and keeping them safe, Tina had been willing to pay it. She looked at Magnus again, but she could see the logic in his decision. It was good to have favours amongst the magical community because you never knew when you might need something doing for you, or for the people around you.

"Sounds like a deal to me." She paused, "I can put together a fair few potions, and I'm quite good at charm work." She shrugged, "Just to give you an idea." She was a talented witch, even if she hated to admit it to herself, but she of course wouldn't have minded going to help Magnus for an afternoon, especially after what he'd done here for her family today.

6. Magnus Bane

High Warlock of Brooklyn
    Race:
    Warlock
    Directory:
    link
    "Perfect, I'm absolutely rubbish at charm work." This may have been a lie. His magic didn't work the way her own did, divided into careful little branches and nuances. Sure, some warlocks developed specialties, but 'charm work' was not one of them, at least not to his knowledge.

Magnus hoped his attempt at a kindness here, entirely unplanned on his own part, woudln't come across as somehow manipulative. He wasn't the type to abuse a favor, not wanting her to feel as if she would 'owe him' one day when he might call upon her for something impossible or unsavory. In fact, he had every intention of simply charging her for his services the way he always did when he first arrived, but hearing her heartfelt explanations and spending time in the rooms she simply wished to protect for the sake of her family, for the sake of children... he decided he didn't need to dip into the woman's savings for something as noble as that.

So long as word didn't get around that Magnus Bane was handing out favors, because that would certainly be bad for business. Something told him he didn't have to worry about that from Miss Goldstein, however. "Well then, I suppose I'll be off." He lingered just a moment on his way towards the door to make sure there was nothing more she might need from him - anything she may want to test on the wards to be certain she was satisfied before he left.

7. Porpentina Goldstein

DoI Officer/ teacher
    Race:
    Witch
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    Tina didn't mind swapping favours with members of the magical community. It was better for her than paying for the services. They didn't have a lot of money between them. While they were better off technically than they had been in New York, they'd had to spend money furnishing the house, making sure the children were clothed and fed and it added up in a way that she had not initially expected. She stood up against the counter, smiling at Magnus. She really didn't mind when he decided to call in his favour.

"Thanks again for this Magnus, I really do appreciate it." She said, wrapping her arms around her middle as she followed him back towards the door, "Anytime you're in the neighbourhood, feel free to pop in. Though you'll have to use the door." Tina grinned, but figured she might as well try to extend the hand of friendship and offer the promise of a cup of coffee if he was ever round this way again.

8. Magnus Bane

High Warlock of Brooklyn
    Race:
    Warlock
    Directory:
    link
    "You're very welcome," he said, fighting the urge to yawn. He hadn't used this much magic in one go in quite some time, and while the coffee break was nice it was also not nearly enough to properly recharge. A nice night in and some decent rest would be more than sufficient, though - he knew his limits, and while this was more effort than he was used to it was also nowhere near his breaking point. In fact, it was probably good to build up more of his stamina when it came to casting stronger, lengthy spells. He'd grown rather rusty in his days here in Pandora.

"I'll have to take you up on that offer," he agreed. "I'd love to meet the rest of this little family of yours one day." Magnus smiled, wondering if that was a life he could ever have. The stability of it all, but also the weight of having lives you were responsible for that came with adopting (for Magnus could never have biological children) a child. It was a life he never imagined himself capable of before, but here, in this place... he had to wonder sometimes.

He returned her smile with one of his own and gave her a small wave before leaving out through the front door, satisfied with the day's work.

9. Porpentina Goldstein

DoI Officer/ teacher
    Race:
    Witch
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    "They'd love to meet you too; I think you'd get on well with my sister." Queenie, she was sure, would love Magnus. She'd have to tell him about her legilimency though if he did ever seriously consider coming round; she didn't want him to feel intruded upon as soon as he walked through the door. Tina followed him down the hall to the back door and waved him off, "Thanks again, Magnus." She said before closing the door and turning back into the apartment. As she walked back towards the kitchen, she couldn't escape the feeling that she felt safer in her own home again, like she had in New York. Perhaps tonight she might actually be able to relax, rather than worrying some other stranger might just arrive in their front room.

Fin