By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box.
Only the box is a world of its own.
We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.
Want to add a quote? Submit them here!
  1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Spring has arrived!
    Check out the Season Updates HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Have a nice day, Guest!
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Again those years run on by (M)

Discussion in 'Pandopolis City' started by Ayano Tateyama, Oct 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Ayano Tateyama

Ayano Tateyama Kagerou Project
    Red is the color of a hero

Babysitter
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    Content Warning

What I thought back on was, again, my family

October 17th

It was the evening and Ayano was at home, just waiting for Scott. After the robbery, she had called the house she would be babysitting to tell them that she unfortunately wasn't in the right mindset after what happened. They were kind enough to not hold it against her, even if she still felt guilty about potentially ruining any evening plans, but they didn't sound disappointed so... maybe it wasn't all bad.

She decided to get some stuff ready ahead of time, working on getting dinner ready for when Scott got home. They lived together and... she had to admit it was almost like they were already a married couple in some aspects but she tried to shake that thought out of her head before she got too caught up on it.

She had to tell him more about herself, open up and let him know about the girl behind all the smiles she carried herself with. She wanted this to work, she wanted to be with him for as long as she could manage, but she needed to be honest with him. He would do the same with her, she was sure of it.

She felt prepared to tell him everything, so for the moment she was just cooking some fish while waiting for the sound of the door to open and signal Scott's return.

@Scott McCall

#1 Ayano Tateyama, Oct 3, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Scott McCall likes this.
  2. Scott McCall

Scott McCall Teen Wolf
    not all monsters do monstrous things

City Guard, Midcourt Division
    Race:
    True Alpha Werewolf
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link

His mom had vanished, taken back to Beacon Hills which wasn't as depressing as he thought. He learned of the future there and he knew she would be safe so he was able to function a lot better than when Allison had gone home.

He had been working on a case during the day even when reports came in of a robbery. Ayano, he wanted to be there, to help but he couldn't just abandon the case he was on. It was vaguely upsetting yet he had heard word of them being okay and he relaxed. Still being stuck in part of the building with no reception kind of sucked but he had to live with what he was given currently.

The scent of fish hit his senses as he walked towards the apartment, feeling his stomach rumble. Quickly unlocking and opening the door, he shut it behind him with a click and then locked it again. "I'm home! Sorry I'm a bit late. Is everything okay?" Scott asked, moving into the kitchen. "That smells really good by the way."

Ayano Tateyama likes this.
  3. Ayano Tateyama

Babysitter
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link

[​IMG]

Hearing the sound of the door opening followed by Scott's voice, already asking her if everything was alright made it pretty clear that he already did know about what happened earlier that day. He was part of the City Watch and, well, Sephiroth had mentioned her name while they were there, so it was possible that it got mentioned in a report.

By the time Ayano turned around, Scott was already at the kitchen complimenting the smell of her cooking. "Guess I must be doing it really well if it's pleasing your super smelling abilities" She giggled, a wide smile on her face. "I'm fine, don't worry. They didn't get anywhere near me."

The topic of the robbery was honestly so irrelevant to what she wanted to talk about that she wanted to brush it off as quickly as she could so she could get to the actually important stuff.

"There's some stuff I wanted to talk about though. Nothing to do with the robbery, but... there's a few things about me I wanted you to know." Her smile shrunk a little, but it was less an indication that she was uncomfortable and more so that she was getting more serious.

Scott McCall likes this.
  4. Scott McCall

Scott McCall Teen Wolf

Race:
    True Alpha Werewolf
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link

"Better than me that's for sure." He chuckled, leaning over to gently kiss her cheek. They went at her pace and that was completely fine with him. He was just happy to be with someone as amazing and incredible and kind as Ayano. "I heard. I'm glad you're okay." His eyes softened at that, still wishing he had been there on scene. Conflict of interest as well and that could have lead to issues down the line in the case.

"I'm here to listen." Scott's features became a little more serious as he moved through the kitchen to get them a glass each and then filling them up with water. He would be supportive, no doubt about that. He also knew this would be painful if her brief mentions had any indication. Above all he felt honored she was at that point where she could tell him and he wasn't going to let her down.

5. Ayano Tateyama

Babysitter
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link

Scott was always very supportive, in a way that also didn't come across as clingy. Ever since the day they began dating, he probably had been wondering what pains she was keeping away from him and she had a feeling that the reality was worse than what he might have been guessing. With a kiss and a cup of water handed to her, he was there waiting for her to say what she wanted to.

"Well... I might look like I'm just a normal girl and... I'm definitely not a werewolf or anything like that." She giggled, her eyes closing as she did so, but then, when they opened again, their brown iris had changed to bright red. "But I have something a little special myself."

The red eyes that she killed herself to get. The red eyes that were responsible for all the pain her family had and likely was still enduring. Ayano could understand very well why her siblings hated their eyes now, but she wasn't going to succumb to that same hatred. She did what she did out of her own volition and so, she had no right to complain.

"This ability... it allows me project my memories, feelings and thoughts into other people." She smiled softly. "It's nothing compared to what you can do, but... the story of how I came to get these red eyes is what I want to get at."

Scott McCall likes this.
  6. Scott McCall

Scott McCall Teen Wolf

Race:
    True Alpha Werewolf
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link

Scott had thought what it could be, his mind spinning stories worse than the one before it and he relented, letting himself just wait. Sometimes it was easier said than done. "I always thought you were special." Scott said, and he meant it. With or without the red eyes.

Red eyes? His own dark eyes shifted into the red glow of the alpha as it pulled by a magnetic force. Not as a dominating thing but one of comrade in arms. "That's why you didn't recoil when you saw my eyes." That and she was just a generally accepting person, something he'd known almost from the moment they'd met.

The ability she was talking about, it wasn't some small scale power. "It might not be what I can do but it's still a huge power!" He was in awe. "I take it you might prefer to use your ability to tell me?" Scott asked. "You go with whatever is easier for you to tell me."

7. Ayano Tateyama

Babysitter
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link

God, they had been dating for a month and a half and Ayano still blushed whenever Scott was being cute like that. She became all sheepish when he commented about her specialness, but when his own eyes suddenly became red like hers, the topic went back to it.

He caught on things quick. Ayano had long learned to not be afraid of someone with red eyes, but it was also true that she generally did not let a bad first impression taint her entire perception of someone forever. He even suggested using her power to communicate what she wanted before she could.

"I was thinking of doing that, yeah. But... if we do this, you're going to see my memories and also feel everything that I felt during them. Some of them were... bad." She grabbed at the clothing near her chest. "I trust you to know everything, Scott, but do you think you can handle it?"

The last thing she wanted to do was hurt him by doing this. She was giving him a warning, so he could steel himself for what could happen and so she could be certain that he was fine with the risk. She could stop it whenever she wanted too, so hopefully any emotional damage would be at a minimum.

#7 Ayano Tateyama, Oct 7, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    Scott McCall likes this.
  8. Scott McCall

Scott McCall Teen Wolf

Race:
    True Alpha Werewolf
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link

"I can handle it. But if you feel too overwhelmed you can stop it." Scott nodded, slowly reaching to gently grab one of her hands. "We all have our good, and bad, memories. And that's okay." He was bad at trying to articulate his thoughts but the werewolf tried and he had to be content with that.

Still, was she worried about him? Worried about what he might see or feel? He'd gone through bad stuff, like the night he was bitten. Losing battles, losing friends, people dying when he should have been able to save them. He was a true alpha, he held onto those burdens so others did not have to. "Begin whenever your ready." His tone clear: I'm here for you and I'm going to promise what I say is true.

((ooc// feel free to have Ayano lead him to the couch if needed w/e. idm!))

9. Ayano Tateyama

Babysitter
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link

Well, he was ready for it. Ayano smiled and nodded before then bringing him to the living room's couch so they would be in a better-suited place for it. She took a deep breath, wondering just what kind of reaction Scott would have to her story, although she could make a few educated guesses on it already.

"Alright... let's get to it then." She then looked directly at Scott's eyes, activating her power for real.

For a moment it would feel like everything went black but then, a scenery would form around Scott. A simple, cozy looking home. There, in that room, he would see Ayano as a younger kid, standing opposite to three other, younger-looking kids and a woman right behind them that looked much like Ayano in appearance, down to the hair clips.

"Ayano is your big sister, so get along with her, everyone!" said the woman, with plenty of excitement, before then walking over to Ayano and placing a hand on her head. "Take care of them for me, ok?"

She was nervous, feeling a little lost, but the touch of her mother's hand had provided her with some much-needed comfort. It gave her some confidence, it made her feel like she could handle anything, because her mother had faith that she could do it. It took a moment, but Ayano eventually looked up at her mom and nodded, letting out a single, still nervous sounding "Ok"

With that, her mother left the scene and all that was left were the four children. Ayano looked at them, they all having these sad looks on their faces, full of suspicion like they were expecting her to hurt them at any second. They looked at each other instead of her, in fact, they looked everywhere except at her.

Ayano's eyes soon noticed the red color in their own eyes. She didn't know people could have red eyes like those. She had seen blue, green, brown, black... but never red, except in TV shows. She looked at them with childish wonder at first, but it was by making eye contact with them that she could see reflections of a past they wanted to keep hidden.

"They look so sad..." Ayano's younger voice echoed through the room, carrying with itself feelings of pity and worry.

The scenery then seemed to blur and once it became clear again, it had change into a bedroom where the four children were gathered. Ayano was standing, while the other three were just sitting on the floor, whispering to each other in a clear attempt to not let her know what they were talking about. With each passing, awkward second, Ayano only felt more unsure and nervous. She didn't know what to do with kids like these. They had just met, but they already seemed to have decided that they didn't like her. If they were going to live together, she needed to get through to them somehow.

"H-Hey, you guys have really cool eyes." She spoke, trying to make some small talk to ease them into communicating with her.

And just like that, Ayano had three pairs of eyes looking at her, a deep gaze almost as if they were looking right into her soul. She tensed up, intimidated by the sheer emotion that the look in their eyes had. They looked upset with her for her comment, downright offended by it, but they also looked afraid, like they were dreading what was about to come next.

"There's nothing cool about them" One of the boys, the one with blond hair, spoke bitterly, then averting her gaze from her.

"E-Eh...?" Ayano asked, now feeling like she had really messed up.

"Because of them I... I'm just a monster." The other boy, the one who this entire time looked like the most afraid out of them, cried out, his voice shaking as he hugged his knees.

Ayano was taken aback. She knew red eyes weren't very common but... a monster? It was just their eye color, right? There was nothing else to it... right? Why would they be so afraid of their eyes? Why did they think of themselves as monsters because of them?

She was confused, she was even more nervous than before, but most of all, she felt sorry for them. They looked so unhappy and she was sure that they wouldn't be thinking of themselves as monsters for no reason. Did someone tell them that? Why?

"What happened to them...?" Her voice echoed again, sounding melancholic.

#9 Ayano Tateyama, Oct 7, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2018
    Scott McCall likes this.
  10. Scott McCall

Scott McCall Teen Wolf

Race:
    True Alpha Werewolf
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link

He was lead to the couch where he sat down, letting her take the lead since she knew what she was doing and he trusted her enough to allow this to happen. When he looked into her eyes, something happened. A flicker of darkness before light bloomed around him and he saw what he was supposed to be seeing - her memories. In addition to seeing it happen before his eyes, he felt her emotions, just as she said he would.

He noticed the children had red eyes. Like Ayano, like him except they weren't alphas. He watched and felt as Ayano tried to help the three young kids, commenting on their eyes which was met with distrust. Scott wondered what was going on, why they thought they were monsters. Of course Ayano was trying to help, it was what she did. How could she know it would cause such a reaction?

Part of him wanted to reassure the young boy that he wasn't a monster but since this was a memory he didn't have that power. He wasn't stupid, he knew some kids could be downright evil yet he doubted that could be applied to these kids considering their actions and reactions. His heart seemed to ache in his chest as he felt for the children. He knew what it was like to think of oneself as a monster. Even of they were far from it.

11. Ayano Tateyama

Babysitter
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link

This situation was a lot more than Ayano had bargained for, but she still felt the need to get through to them somehow. Those red eyes, they had been the source of a lot of pain for them, so how could she get them to not be afraid of them anymore? Her eyes scouted the room for a moment, until the landed on a comic book she had left lying on her bedside table and, being struck with an idea, she moved over to grab it.

"That's not true at all." She returned with the comicbook in hand and showed it to the dark haired boy, the cover featuring a superhero dressed mostly in red. "Red is the color of a hero, so there's no need to be afraid." She smiled warmly.

The reaction she got was more of stunned silence than anything else. They didn't look entirely convinced by it, but it was something at least. She began wondering what else she could do to help cheer them up. They could start playing something, trying to get away from that sad topic and do something fun, something that would let them know they didn't need to be afraid. This time, her eyes landed on her wardrobe and they widened as she came up with something.

"Hey, look at this!" She began digging through her wardrobe and then pulled an all too familiar red scarf, twirling as she wrapped it around her neck and did a superhero pose. "We're like secret agents!"

The looks she got this time were more positive and then, digging through her wardrobe more, she pulled out a set of three hoodies. One black, one white and one purple and handed them out to them, letting them choose which one they wanted.

"We could be... the Mekakushi Dan (Blindfold Gang)! A group of kids who secretly have superpowers and use them to save the day!" She suggested excitedly, hoping that this would work.

"But you don't have powers." The girl pointed out in a matter-of-fact tone.

"Oh. Well... I guess I don't..." Ayano stopped to think for a moment. "Let's just pretend I do! This is all just a game, you know!"

"Why would you even want to have these powers?" The blonde boy asked, sounding puzzled.

"Because if I had powers, then I could use them to help people, like a superhero! Come on, don't you guys wanna be superheroes too?!"

Ayano might have been getting a little too into it, the little game of pretend seemed to appeal to her more than it did to them, but she could see them sharing looks with each other, unsure of what to think about it at first, until the scared boy finally spoke up.

"I... I'd love to be a hero." He admitted with a smile.

"Then let's do it!" Ayano grinned with excitement.

What followed was a simple brainstorming session, coming up with a story for their group of heroes and all that, everyone eagerly putting on their hoodies. Ayano led the discussion, but the longer it went, the more the other kids seemed to be getting into it, suggesting ideas of their own and passionately defending them. Gone were the sad faces from earlier, now being replaced by excitement and joy.

"Even if we're just playing heroes, as long as we can manage even a little smile, then it's all worth it." Ayano thought to herself, happily smiling as she watched the discussion in front of her.

The scene then faded to black again and Ayano, the present day one, showed up next to Scott, her eyes still having that very same deep red coloration as that of her adopted siblings.

"The girl's name is Tsubomi, the blonde boy is Shuuya and the other one is Kousuke. I never really asked them what happened before they started living with me, but I know it wasn't anything good." She explained, then growing a little bashful and pulling her scarf with a dopey smile on her face. "This is all a little embarrassing, but it's important to know, trust me."

#11 Ayano Tateyama, Oct 12, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    Scott McCall likes this.
  12. Scott McCall

Scott McCall Teen Wolf

Race:
    True Alpha Werewolf
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link

Red. It all began with red eyes didn't it? Even in his case it started with red eyes glaring through the forest before the werewolf had bitten him. Red eyes didn't mean evil. In Peter's case it had because it was Peter, but red eyes were also a symbol of strength and leadership. For the kids they were just that, kids and his heart broke at their expressions, wishing he could take away all that pain and hurt.

But then the atmosphere shifted when Ayano suggested playing heroes and seeing it change from scared and worry to something happy. The kids got into it as well and Scott was glad to see it working. Red really was a color of heroes.

"Why do they have red eyes?" Scott asked when Ayano appeared beside him. "I'm not going to tease you or make fun of you. You're sharing something of your past. I can only applaud your bravery." Scott was encouraging, and not just because he wanted to know more. He truly cared and he was truly honest.

13. Ayano Tateyama

Babysitter
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link

"It's a very complicated reason, but we'll get to it soon." Ayano smiled, the extra comfort Scott gave her making her feel a bit more at ease. "I need to show you someone else. He's... important, to me." She lifted her scarf a little, covering her mouth with it.

The scenery began shifting once again and this time it was an empty classroom with an older Ayano sleeping on one of the desks. Eventually she woke up and looked around, realizing just what she had done and sighing in response.

"I was supposed to study but I ended up doing nothing again." She thought as she began making her way to the door.

Disappointed with herself, she began making her way out of the classroom, but the moment she slid the door open, she found a person standing right in front of her, followed by a scream that made her start screaming too.

"I’m sorry I’m sorry, please spare my life!" The other person desperately pleaded as he cowered from her.

Ayano blinked for a moment, but then she slowly began recognizing the boy with short, black hair standing in front of her. "Huh? Shintaro… kun…? Ah, I’m right! You’re Kisaragi Shintaro-kun, right?"

"He's that one boy that doesn't seem to get along with anyone. He gets the best grades but nobody seemed to like him much. I heard a lot of gossip being made about him, people spreading rumors about his anti-social behavior and things like that. So this is how he's really like..."

"Huh?" The boy stopped cowering, then finally taking a proper look at her.

"It’s me! I’m in your class and I sit next to you. I’m Tateyama Ayano. Although, I don’t think we’ve talked before."

"Tate.. yama…? Oh, the one that’s always getting failing grades…" Shintaro spoke more calmly, beginning to relax just a little bit.

"Is that the only reference I left on you…?" Ayano's cheerful tone stopped dead, being almost emotionless outside of a little embarrassment.

"Am I wrong..?" Shintaro asked, completely unaware of his own rudeness.

What followed was a simple conversation where Ayano explained her situation to her classmate and asked him for help with her situation. After all, since he was a top student, then the stuff she needed to do should be no problem at all! Still, Shintaro was pretty cold and blunt in his words, in a way that left Ayano taken aback a few times.

Despite that, he agreed to help her study and persevered in his teaching even through Ayano's own ineptness in her academics, even getting her to actually understand the subject and starting to solve the problems on her own. Ayano could see that, at heart, Shintaro was a good person, nothing like what people thought of him, but it was hard to reach that kindhearted side of his. He was distant, mean, cold, but it didn't look like he really meant to be hurtful, it was just that he didn't know any better.

"Maybe he just needs a friend..." Ayano's thoughts echoed.

Once everything was done with, Ayano and Shintaro began walking back home together, leaving the now fully abandoned school. Finally, they ended up at a point where their paths diverged and began saying their goodbyes. Shintaro was still mostly indifferent, acting like this was going to be the kind of situation where he talked to someone once and then never again, but Ayano wanted to make him know it wasn't the case.

"Shintaro-kun!" Ayano called out while he was still nearby.

"What?" He flatly replied.

"See you tomorrow." She waved at him, wearing a sincere, cheerful smile on her features.

It seemed to take a while for Shintaro to process what she had just said to him, to the point where it looked she had spoken in a different language. He was just standing there, his eyes focused on her and blinking, his mouth slightly open.

"... Yeah. I’ll see you tomorrow." He finally replied, his tone still flat.

The scenery then faded to black again and the modern day Ayano appeared again, her red eyes being the main thing separating her from the vision of just moments ago.

"Shintaro was my best friend at school, believe it or not." She giggled, her gaze then falling a little. "Though, as you probably can feel right now... it kinda became something more than just a friendship for me." She grabbed at her scarf again, seeking comfort from its soft fabric. Her eyes showed melancholy, but she was still smiling fondly. "It might sound a bit weird for someone like me to fall for someone like him but... he really was a loveable person deep inside. He just... he needed a friend that could help him."

The emotions inside Ayano, emotions being shared with Scott, began shifting a little. While there was still love, fondness and yes, a degree of sadness mixed in, there was also some specific feelings of inadequacy coming to the surface, a feeling that one would experience when thinking that they weren't the right fit for the job.

Scott McCall likes this.
  14. Scott McCall

Scott McCall Teen Wolf

Race:
    True Alpha Werewolf
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link

He could feel what she felt. Including her feelings for the boy in the classroom. "It's not weird. People can't choose who they fall for." Scott replied, rather unfazed by the emotions being revealed right now. He didn't feel threatened by this Shintaro guy.

Stiles had once fallen for Lydia. He'd fallen for Allison. People would look at it as if it was weird but it wasn't really. "You don't have to explain, Ayano. It's okay." Scott nodded, reaching out for her hand. He was being supportive because he wanted to be. He lacked the feelings of jealousy because there was nothing to be jealous of. "Sometimes being a friend can make all the difference."

What threw him most off guard was the feelings of inadequacy coming from her. He began to think about their previous conversations and felt stupid for being so blind.

"Ayano. I feel what you're feeling. I didn't realize it was that deep. I don't believe you're inadequate. And one day I hope you feel the same way too."

15. Ayano Tateyama

Babysitter
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link

Ayano wasn't sure what she was expecting from Scott when she revealed that she once had a crush on someone else. Jealousy? Uncertainty? Whatever it was, it didn't happen. Scott just reassured her that there wasn't a problem and, well, there probably wasn't. She was making a bigger deal out of it than she needed to and realizing that was a big relief.

Feelings of not being good enough, those were the ones that rose that day after the situation at the jewelry store. Feelings that Sephiroth had helped her curb down a little, but they were still there and, when it came to Scott in particular, it was hard not to feel that way. He didn't want her to feel that way, of course. She didn't either, but emotions were a complicated beast.

Still, she smiled. "... You might want to prepare yourself. It's not going to be very nice from here onwards..." She looked away at him with a kind of resigned smile on her face.

The scenery then changed to that of the school again, except this time Ayano was wearing a differently colored uniform and the classroom was full. Ayano sat next to the window with Shintaro on the seat to her right. She was struggling to do her school work, trying very hard to turn the gears in her head to figure out an answer.

In the corner of her eye, she noticed Shintaro glancing towards her. She looked back at him and smiled cheerfully, making the boy get flustered and look back at his own school work.

"He's cute when he's all timid like that." Ayano thought to herself, snickering.

However, soon the door to the classroom opened and one of the people from the staff peeked in, his eyes quickly scanning the classroom until they landed on her, who only stared back in curiosity.

"My apologies for interrupting the class." The staff member said, looking at the teacher and then at Ayano. "Tateyama-chan, could you please come to the principal's office?"

Everybody's eyes were on Ayano at that moment. All of them curious, some of them suspicious of something. She didn't know what it could be about. After all, she never did anything against the school regulations, so she couldn't be in trouble, right? Either way, she stood up from her desk and headed out of the classroom.

Cutting to the office, Ayano is sitting in front of the principal's desk, who is looking at her with the kind of eyes of someone afraid of being the one to give bad news. Ayano suddenly felt cold, like the temperature had dropped all of sudden and even felt herself shiver a little.

"Tateyama-chan... do you know of your parents whereabouts?" He asked her, remaining calm and composed.

"Y-Yes. They went out to meet with some researchers." She answered, growing increasingly anxious.

"... Well, I'm afraid to say... They were caught in a landslide..." The principal looked away from her. "They haven't been able to find your mother."

At that moment, Ayano's heart sank with dread. The temperature dropped even further and she felt all the warmth of her body had been sucked away. It all sounded impossible at the time, she thought it must have been a cruel prank, but it was clear that it was just a very real nightmare.

The scenery then changed to the streets, were Ayano was running with an umbrella in hand while her opposite shoulder carried her school bag. She ran through rainy streets, hoping to get home and see how her siblings were doing. However, along the way, she found them, carrying umbrellas of their own.

"Sis." Kosuke spoke.

"You're all here?" Ayano said, surprised to see the three of them there.

"Sis, is what Tsubomi says true?" Shuuya asked him, slight desperation in his tone.

"The man on the phone said that Dad and Mom were caught in a landslide." Tsubomi spoke, her voice shaking. "They said they can't find Mom..." At this point, Ayano could see tears begin leaving the girl's eyes.

Ayano couldn't do anything but frown at this moment. What was she supposed to say? She couldn't deny the truth, even one that was so horrible. But still, seeing Tsubomi cry... she wasn't supposed to let that happen. She was their big sister, she had to do something. But she couldn't find any words to say.

"Sis!" Shuuya yelled, desperately hoping Ayano would tell them they were wrong.

"I'm sick of this... Why do we keep having to suffer like this?" Tsubomi's voice was weak, shaky as she kept failing to fight off the tears. "I thought we finally had a chance to be happy... Why is this happening?"

And then Kosuke began sobbing and it was at that point that Ayano couldn't take it anymore. She let go of her umbrella, letting the winds carry it away, and dropped her school bag on the ground before running towards her two siblings and pulling them into a hug.

"It's okay. Everything will be okay." She told them softly while fighting back tears.

That seemed to stop the sobbing, if nothing else. Now, more than ever, her siblings needed her to be strong. Now, more than ever, she needed to cast aside her own sadness for the sake of keeping them from falling apart. All the grief, sadness, regret... she bottled up all of her negative feelings for their sake, to give them the strength to keep going.

Because she was the big sister.

Scott McCall likes this.
  16. Scott McCall

Scott McCall Teen Wolf

Race:
    True Alpha Werewolf
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

Scott wasn't the type to dismiss feelings. If she felt a certain way he wanted to let her know that it was okay. He wasn't going to scoff and tell her she shouldn't feel that way, though he did hope that her feelings of inadequacy would leave because she didn't deserve to feel that way. He was there to support her, regardless.

The werewolf nodded, steeling himself. The scene shifted again as he watched, not knowing what was going to happen. It was school again, though this time there was more of a somber feeling. His emotions heightened as the door opened and a staff member called for Ayano. Scott couldn't help but wonder why - she wasn't a rule breaker by any means and that usually left a few situations left. He wasn't one to think negatively to begin with but the expression.

He just couldn't shake it.

His heart almost shattered as the news came forth regarding her parents. That her mom was. Scott swallowed quickly, the emotions caused a lump to form inside his throat that he had trouble getting rid of. "I am so sorry for what happened." Scott's expression was also somber. He couldn't imagine losing his mom and that was exactly what happened to Ayano. He knew this wasn't either one of their faults but he still wished he could take the pain away.

Grief was a terrible thing. Losing a parent was difficult, almost impossible to get over. He knew from experience with Stiles.

"You took care of your siblings. But did anyone take care of you?"

17. Ayano Tateyama

Babysitter
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link

Anyone who took care of her... funny, she never really thought about it. Most tellingly, Ayano didn't respond, because the answer to that and the "why" of it were going to become clear soon. She couldn't help but feel a level of dread that she was getting closer and closer to the part she was sure Scott wouldn't take well. Not in the sense of getting mad at her for it, at least she hoped, but because it was even worse than what he had just seen.

The scenery changed once again back to Ayano's house. She announced her return, but didn't hear any response, so it looked she was the only one home. She was just going to carry on with her routine, as she was supposed to, but as she was walking past her father's room, she heard the sound of wind blowing against the curtains.

"The window in dad's room's open..." She talked to herself, then starting to get a little hesitant. "Right, he got mad at me that time I snuck in." She could never tell what exactly he was doing in there that he so desperately wanted to keep away from her, but she tried to respect his wishes nonetheless. "It's only to shut the window, so it's okay, right?"

She walked into the room filled with bookshelves and replicas of dinosaur skeletons, as well as one safe that she never knew what her dad had stored inside. She was really only going to close the window, but she saw something on his desk that caught her attention. Walking closer to it, she saw that it was the storybook that her mom read to her every time before bed when she was little. Under it, however, she other notebooks and upon closer inspection, she saw that what was written in them was in her mother's handwriting.

And then she actually began reading what was in them, her mother's voice echoing in her head through every single word.

"The monster really exists. The powers that manifested in those children, the chain of events that led to them gaining the powers, not to mention their distinctive trait... The many similarities indicate that this folk story isn't a tall tale or cautionary story, but rather a single phenomenon that reaches down to the present day. In the course of asking many people about this folk story, I have learned something: the true ending to the tale.

What is told among the locals around this area, the birthplace of the story, is a story that ends with the monster leaving her family and vanishing into her isolated world. The monster and her family did not live happily ever after.

It appears that the children gainer their abilities somehow when they nearly died. They have told me that when it happened, it was as if they were swallowed up by something and had a bad dream, but I must wonder if they are describing interacting with "the new world" that is described in the story.

It's a wild hypothesis, but in the face of these powers that the children have manifested, I can no longer rely on rationality alone. I must work under the assumption that the world creeated by the monster actually exists and consider why it swallows children and gives them powers. I need to study this folk story again, more closely than ever."

The journal went on and on, talking about different aspects of the story and the powers that her siblings had. Ayano couldn't believe any of what she was reading. She had thought that their powers were just something that they had, never giving much thought about where they came from. She had helped them work around their fear of their "monstrous" powers so they could be happy again, but she never asked herself just why they had them. At least, not in-depth.

Eventually, she reached the end of the journal.

"I can't begin to imagine what changes the children's bodies will undergo in the future. The thought of something happening that would cause those children to suffer makes me so worried every day, I can't bear it. But I must put on a happy face around them. I must put an end to this phenomenon as soon as I possibly can.

I will go into the field and ask around again. I hope I can turn up some useful information. Okay... I must remain strong"

Looking at the date of the last entry... "next week" was the date of the landslide. So that was what she was planning to do that day. Ayano thought it was just going to be her typical archeological job, but it turned out that, to the very end, her mom was looking after her siblings.

Tears began streaming down from Ayano's eyes and landing on the book pages as she began recalling all of the good moments she had with her mother. Why did this have to happen to her? If her siblings were in danger because of their powers, then what was she supposed to do? She was their big sister, but she didn't feel like she could do anything at all...

The scenery shifted to nighttime, in Ayano's room shortly before she was supposed to go to bed. She heard a strange creaking sound coming from outside her door and, curious, decided to check what was going on. Hopefully it wasn't Shuuya trying to play a prank on her or anything...

"Is someone there?" She asked as she peeked outside her room.

"Hey."

Ayano yelped as she heard a voice coming from behind her. It was her father, using an unusually deep tone of voice with her that made her think that there must have been something that was making him upset.

"Y-You startled me... What's up dad?" She asked him, still recovering from the surprise.

"It's late. Go to bed," Her father told her, very bluntly and with little to no emotion in his voice. This was getting very concerning.

"Dad, what are you-"

Her father then turned his head around to look at her and the immediate thing that she noticed were his eyes. Red eyes. He resumed walking away, leaving Ayano there staring in disbelief. How did her father have red eyes now? Did he have powers like her siblings too? Why was he acting so strange...?

Thenit clicked, and she ran back into her room to look at her mother's journal again. She flipped through the pages at a rapid pace until she found what she was looking for.

"In the story, the source of the monster's power is said to be the countless snakes that grow from her head. Perhaps the powers the children possess derives from this. But what still bothers me is the serpent that appears in her dream near the end of the story. Unlike the snakes on her head, the dream serpent is clearly intelligent and self-aware. It is this being who suggested to the story's protagonist that she create a new world and who lured her into solitude.

Looking back on it now, it almost seems as if the serpent tempted the monster and snatched away her happiness with her family. Why did the dream serpent have the monster create a new world?"

An intelligent and self-aware snake... if they were the things giving Shuuya and the others their powers, then this one... could it be...? If people who nearly died got sucked into that world and then spat back, like her mom said happened to the kids, then it could have happened with her father too. He was with her when the landslide happened and nobody knows how he managed to survive. People said it was a miracle but... maybe it was this instead.

"Sis? Why are you stomping around at this hour?"

Just as Ayano finished reading the book, Shuuya's voice came from behind her. She was so absorbed thinking about this whole situation, that she didn't even turn to look at him. However, this might have been some good timing on his part. If that evil snake was going to do something with her father like it did with the monster in the story, then she was going to need someone's help to investigate it.

"Sis?" Shuuya asked again, sounding concerned by her lack of response.

"Shuuya, will you listen to what I have to say?" Ayano asked in an unusually serious tone of voice.

"Sure, I guess." He agreed, though he sounded hesitant.

"Can you promise me that you won't tell anyone?"

"Okay, I won't tell anyone."

Ayano then turned to him with a determined look, that of someone who was set on an idea and would not back down no matter what. "I need your help."

The plan was a simple one in nature, but that due to circumstances they could only start it once Ayano actually started going to high school. She wanted to see what was inside her father's safe, which wouldn't take a long time since she didn't know the password and the safe was entirely digital. She also needed to do it while her dad was working, so Shuuya's role in this was simple: pretend to be her at school while she tried to open the safe at home. His power allowed him to disguise himself as anyone, which made the task a lot less impossible than it sounded. Awkward, no doubt, but possible.

In the meantime, the two of them investigated the nature of their dad's power as much as they could. The main thing they noticed is that his eyes only became red after he went to bed, probably because that would be the easiest moment for the snake to take control of him.

It took a long time, but Ayano managed to brute force the safe open and in there, she found a lot of money and also documents. Looking through everything, she learned that her dad was apparently raising money from a bunch of different sources, money that likely was being saved entirely for whatever that snake wanted to do.

But the documents... the content had burned itself into her mind. The snake was apparently trying to grant her dad's desire to be with her mom again, but to do that, he needed to bring out all the other snakes from the other world so they could form a new monster. However, it also turned out that... the snakes were the only thing keeping the people with powers alive, so if the snakes were removed and given to that new monster...

... Then Shuuya and the others would all die for good.

Ayano was mortified. Her father would never kill them, her mom would never want them to be sacrificed. To the very end she just wanted them to be happy! Why was this happening? Why them? What did they do to deserve all of this...? The red eyes... this was all because of them. They gave the kids powers but were taking away so much from them... she couldn't help but feel like she had been wrong in trying to make them see those eyes in a positive light.

... No. A new plan began forming in Ayano's head and, before she knew it, she was already acting on it. Maybe if she could get those red eyes herself, she could be the hero she wanted them to believe in. Their hero who would save their future and let them live happily, just like her mother wanted them to.

The scene shifted to Ayano in her room again, writing down a note for Shuuya once he got back home. She considered what she was doing, hesitated a little. Was she really going to do this? Could she? Was there another way...? She took a deep breath and clenched her fists before shaking her head and finishing her note.

I definitely won't let you all die.
    Big sis will do whatever can be done
    I love you all so much

For their sake, she would go through with this plan. Her lonely plan.

Scott McCall likes this.
  18. Scott McCall

Scott McCall Teen Wolf

Race:
    True Alpha Werewolf
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

Ayano didn't reply and he hadn't been expecting her to. He'd already gathered that she took care of others with no-one taking care of her, much like him. Now was her turn to let someone watch over, though right now was kind of tough considering he was in her memories and thus couldn't do much except follow along as the scene shifted again and again.

A whirlwind of thoughts, emotions, and he was powerless to stop any of this from happening. He wanted to help, to do something except he couldn't- no that wasn't quite correct. He could do something and that was to support Ayano. He might not be able to change the past but he could sure as anything make sure she deserved a future of happiness.

There was sudden realization near the end as everything fell into place. Like a lightbulb appearing above his head. Those red eyes, the powers. Given by almost dying. Ayano's mom had already figured it out. To save her siblings, Scott went pale as the thoughts hit him, she would have to die. There had to be another way and he opened up his mouth before closing it.

He hated not being able to do anything. "You would give up your life to protect your siblings."

Ayano was wrong. She was a hero.

19. Ayano Tateyama

Babysitter
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link

Scott was a smart boy. Ayano wasn't surprised that he had already realized what was going on, now that the information surroundings the red eyes had finally come to light. In a way, she felt proud that he had already figured it out... although that feeling was quickly overshadowed by the sadness of what was to follow.

The scenery changed to the rooftop of Ayano's school, where she stood face to face with her father, or rather, the serpent that was possessing him. His eyes were bright red and even though Ayano knew everything about what he was trying to do, she faced him with no fear. She soon began stepping back, away from him and towards the edge of the roof.

"If all the snakes don't gather in this world, Dad's wish won't come true, right?" She asked, although she already knew the answer to it.

The snake chuckled.
    "I suppose that's true. It's no small feat to bring the dead back to life. The perfect being that rules all the snakes is necessary." He admitted, his tone suggesting that he wasn't the least bit threatened by her.

"So, that being the case..." Ayano stopped once she touched the railing, smiling as she began sitting on it. "What would happen if I got one of the snake's powers, but didn't return from the other world?"

It was in that moment that the door to the roof swung open. Shuuya came in running, the desperate look in his face making it very clear that he had heard the entire conversation.

"Sis, no!" He yelled out, then coming to a stop in the middle of the roof.

"Shuuya..." Ayano's expression suddenly went from calm to pained, as she knew things were about to become much harder for her.

"That's crazy talk!" Shuuya lashed out. "We'd be together forever, you said! You said you'd stay with us forever!" He reminded her with a desperate, outright aggressive tone.

That stung so much. Ayano couldn't help but wince as she did remember that she said that, after she had already decided on this plan. She didn't know why she did that. Maybe it was because she was in denial over having to sacrifice herself, but whatever the reason was, it came back to haunt her.

"Let's not do something stupid, alright?" The snake tried to dissuade her, now starting to sound more concerned. "Do you have any idea of what would happen if you-"

"There's no point in going through with a plan you know won't succeed." Ayano cut him off. "There'd be no reason to kill Haruka, Takane and the kids, would there?"

It was at this moment that something like a black fog began appearing behind her, although if one looked closer, they could see that it had a leather-y texture to it, like the body of a black snake.

"You little..." The snake glared at her.

Looking back, Ayano saw the black... thing, and reached towards it with one hand, unable to grasp it as she was still holding on to the railing with the other hand.

"So this is what swallows up dead people..." She said in a resigned tone.

"Don't do it! Sis!" Shuuya pleaded her, sounding more and more desperate.

"Sorry, Shuuya," Ayano apologized as tears began streaming down from her eyes. "Your big sis isn't so tough after all. I'm kinda scared..."

She was so afraid of what was going to happen to her at the end of this. Was it going to hurt? How was that other world like? There were so many uncertainties that were leaving her with a fear that shook her to the very core. Yet, despite this, her grip on the railing slowly began to weaken and soon enough, Ayano fell.

However, as she fell, she caught one last glimpse of her possessed father and what she saw made it feel like time slowed down. He was smiling like he was pleased that things ended up like this. Ayano's eyes widened as she realized the implications of it, but it was already far too late.

Ayano fell, tears soaking the sky as she went down, hearing Shuuya's desperate screaming from above. There was nothing she could at this point other than pray that her siblings would be alright, but now... she wasn't so sure anymore. Was what she did the right thing? Did it achieve anything at all? Regret, shame, helplessness, fear... all those feelings were swirling inside her as she closed her eyes and waited for the inevitable.

"Mom... Dad... I love you."

"Shuuya, Tsubomi, Kousuke... I hope you'll be happy."

"Shintaro..."

The scenery changed once again to show Shintaro and Ayano sitting in an empty classroom, with the former once again trying to help the latter with her studies. Shintaro was being his usual gloomy self while Ayano was smiling, however, she soon looked out the window of the classroom and began wondering about things.

"Say, Shintaro..." she trailed off.

"What?"

"I was wondering... Do you think there's such a thing as heaven?" She asked, sounding contemplative.

"Huh? Of course not. It's just people deluding themselves," Shintaro's voice was cold, speaking in such a matter-of-fact way, "Besides, if heaven did exist, someone would have proven it ages ago."

"Well... I think it exists." Ayano rebutted, a sad smile on her face. "Not that I think it's some paradise open to people who live good lives. I mean, think about it... what kind of paradise would it be if you have to leave someone behind to reach it?"

"Look, what are you going on about?" Shintaro finally asked, sounding both annoyed, but also... concerned?

"Oh, am I being weird? Sorry about that." She giggled and looked at him with a wide smile again, forcing herself into her "typical" behavior. "How about we go back to tutoring?"

Everything then began fading to black and soon there was nothing else, except one last echo of Ayano's voice.

"I'm sorry, I love you."

Finally, Scott would find himself back at their apartment, with Ayano looking down with a somber expression on her face. Her eyes still bright red. Despite everything that she had shown him, it didn't look like more than a few minutes had passed.

"So... that's it. That's how I came to get this power." She concluded her tale, her voice lacking it's usual warmth. "The snakes choose who it's going to possess depending on whether the wish of the host is compatible with it." She further explained, as this was something she only fully understood later

She then looked up at Scott again with a sad smile.
    "Mine is the Snake of Favoring Eyes, whose ability allows someone to communicate feelings and thoughts without the need of words." She knew well that he would understand what she was trying to get at, after all, she wasn't the most subtle of people.

#19 Ayano Tateyama, Dec 6, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    Scott McCall likes this.
  20. Scott McCall

Scott McCall Teen Wolf

Race:
    True Alpha Werewolf
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

The worst thing about this was knowing she would sacrifice herself and he couldn't stop it. It was the hero, the protector in him that wanted to stop her from doing such a tragic thing yet if she didn't then her siblings would be in danger. Not that he could do anything. Reaching out proved futile. He couldn't stop what was going on, he couldn't change the past.

But it was still so hard just to stay there and watch. Especially as she talked, especially when she fell and his heart clenched, his hands outstretched out of pure instinct. And then he was back in the present, the images swirling in his mind, content to haunt him for the rest of his days but he didn't mind. He would share this burden with her and be there for her - he needed to be supportive.

Put aside his feelings, his emotions and focus on her. Good thing he was good at that.

He reached for her, this time able to touch her in order to bring her into a firm hug. "I'm sorry you went through that, and alone too. And thank you, for showing me." If she thought this would push him away or make him turn on her then she would be wrong because he wasn't going to do that.