HeaderBox1

Welcome
to Pandora

By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box. Only the box is a world of its own.

We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.

Spotlight

Story Hub Banner

Want to add a quote? Submit them here!

1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Elevated high above Pandora Town is the futuristic, whimsical Orbit City. Make sure to visit while it's still here!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Exact doppelgangers of Pandora citizens are appearing out of nowhere, seemingly at random. Read more about it here
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Pandora is searching for staff.
    Click here for more information!

Complete Avarice

Discussion in 'Cascade Bay' started by Qrow Branwen, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Qrow Branwen

Professor at Schola Praeditos
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link

[​IMG]
    ~November 30th~

Perhaps the reason that Cascade Bay seemed so appealing was because of the stark contrast that the ocean provided to the arid desert of Horizon. Perhaps the direction of the carrying winds had just worked in his favor for once. Whatever the reason may be, Qrow had landed in the seaside town and the first stop he had to make was not to a medical clinic despite his aches and exhaustion from the scorching journey-- but rather to a bar. Everyone knew alcohol was the best medicine, after all. How fitting that the first one that was recommended to him by a passing civilian was called 'The Devil's Nest.' He liked this place already.

It seemed like an alright joint, more or less. Some of the patrons and even the staff members were on the rougher side, and there were some who may have felt out of place or even a tiny bit threatened sitting in these stools, but not Qrow. All he cared about was the selection, and this one was impressive. Confident in pursuing his undying quest to find a new favorite mix, he ordered a cocktail with the intriguing name of 'Screaming Viking.'

After a few more moments of soaking in the atmosphere of the bar, Qrow glanced back to the man behind the counter. "You the owner?" He asked, making casual conversation. He sure seemed like he was, with the skill at which he handled his drinks and the glasses, the way he spoke to other patrons and workers, and the nearly tangible confidence that radiated from his body.

@Greed

Greed likes this.
  2. Greed

Greed Fullmetal Alchemist
    The Avaricious

Bartender/Crime Boss
    Race:
    Homunculus
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    Directory:
    link
    Greed had just returned from his two week vacation to Pandora Town and although he had some good experiences there and ended up meeting up with a few interesting people, he was glad to be back where he could say was his new home.

He had given his henchmen enough directions to keep them running things while he was gone and luckily he didn't come home to a complete disaster, so there was this to be happy about. If things kept going at this pace, surely he would make a good profit with this whole dragon hunting business that was suggested to him by one of his men that came from fantasy land.

For now though, he was just doing his job as a bartender and making sure everyone else was doing their job, while also engaging in some casual conversation with his men and women about how their weeks in the time he was out had gone. That was interrupted when he was giving some Screaming Viking to some outsider customer that showed up that day and the dude started talking to him.

"Yeah, that's me." Now that they were actually chatting, Greed took a moment to get a good look at the guy as he poured him his drink. "I don't think I've seen you around here before. You new?" He asked to keep the small talk going, a friendly, if smug, smile on his face.

As far as appearances went, the main thing that got Greed's attention was the fact the guy had a sword with him. So this guy was definitely someone who could fight and, upon further examination, he got a feeling that this guy was competent at what he did. That was already enough to get Greed interested in learning more about this dude, and maybe even get him to join the gang if he could.

#2 Greed, Dec 6, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    Qrow Branwen likes this.
  3. Qrow Branwen

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link

[​IMG]

Qrow was accustomed to people eyeing his sword as the bartender had. Even back in Remnant, the weapon was a formidable piece of art, if he was so bold to brag. It was now compressed within itself like a matryoshka doll for ease of travel, but although it obviously looked extendable, the fact that it could also fire shotgun rounds or curl into a scythe was always a surprise to those who witnessed it-- who were often enemies in the heat of battle.

Yeah, Qrow was pretty interesting, and he knew it. He leaned nonchalantly on the counter with one elbow and answered with an indifferent confidence, "Yeah, I am. Just flew into town today, actually." Literally. "Name's Qrow. And you?"

"Nice place you got here." He complimented lightly, looking around at the colorful and toughened folks who treated the building as if it were their home, and the owner having earlier acted similarly to a gruff father figure. The man was a natural leader, and it was obvious that a position of authority was not something he was new to. "Did you own a bar back in your world?"

@Greed

Greed likes this.
  4. Greed

The Avaricious

Bartender/Crime Boss
    Race:
    Homunculus
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    Directory:
    link
    Flew in huh? Normally Greed wouldn't think of that as anything more than a simple expression, but considering this was Pandora, a land where some people could actually fly, you could never be too sure about that kind of thing. If this guy really could fly, then that was all the more reason to try to get himself

"Yeah, I had my own place, same name and everything. Figured I might as well continue from where I left off here." Greed shrugged, but then gave a smile that looked almost devious. "It's not the only thing I do here though, we do some other business on the side. Say, you seem like a strong dude, do you have an interest in hunting?"

He wasn't gonna skirt around the topic for too long, if at all, which did lead to him forgetting to introduce himself. He would rather get straight to the point and get his answer regarding whether this Qrow dude would be interesting in joining his newest endeavor as soon as he could. It wasn't like he had much else to do anyway. There were still a few customers to attend, but there were other staff members to do that. As they conversed, he occasionally stopped to glance at his workers and wordlessly give them directions regarding any customers that were still waiting.

"I would assume that sword you have with you isn't just for display." Greed chuckled, that sure would be a waste of a fine weapon, not that he himself needed one when his own body could become sharper than most blades.

Qrow Branwen likes this.
  5. Qrow Branwen

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link

[​IMG]

The owner's almost mischievous smile hinted at a turn in the conversation, but Qrow didn't have to wonder about his side-business for very long before being asked if he was interested in hunting. The compliment that was tagged along with it didn't do a very good job of buttering him up. Qrow was a 'huntsman,' and had more than a little experience hunting evil sorcerers and dark creatures of Grimm, but he had a feeling this guy wasn't referring to such a noble kind of hunt.

"I would assume that sword you have with you isn't just for display."

"No, it's not. Though you can't argue that it's not a thing of beauty." Qrow smirked and glanced back at the weapon, always willing to take a compliment directed at his handiwork. He sighed and turned back to the man, answering him with an even and unwavering tone. "I don't hunt for sport. Nor for money." After taking a gulp of the burning liquid in his glass, he elaborated, "My expertise leans more toward bloodthirsty monsters than the usual cute and furry critters."

"But I don't think you're talking about cute and furry critters, now are you?" He eyed the man across the counter carefully. This was Pandora, and it was more than likely that the game he was referring to wasn't the usual game. Still, his standards remained. Not for frivolous sport, and not for any form of payment. Only to save a life.

@Greed

Greed likes this.
  6. Greed

The Avaricious

Bartender/Crime Boss
    Race:
    Homunculus
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    Directory:
    link
    It was a nice sword, Greed had to admit that much. Weapons like that were pretty much useless for him, but if he needed one, he sure would want one that looked cool like the one Qrow had. As it turned out, the man was already a hunter himself, although he seemed to be of the more noble kind. Well, sure, Greed was doing this mostly to make a profit, but surely there were benefits to hunting dragons, right?

"Cute is debatable, furry though, definitely not." Greed chuckled. "Though honestly you never know with dragons, maybe some of them do have fur." He shrugged.

This guy hunted monsters for a living, presumably. It was hard to tell whether he did it to get something in return or if he was the good samaritan who just wanted to help. Either way, having someone like that around would be a good asset, even if he didn't seem to be all that interested.

"Calling them monsters would be a bit harsh, but you know dragons, right? Sweeping in and taking people's livestock, maybe even taking the people themselves if they're unlucky enough; taking huge chunks of land as their territory and attacking anyone who dares come close. We're gonna be hunting those." Greed stated in a fairly casual tone considering the threat he was describing. "I don't plan on going overboard with this though, I'm putting up some guidelines so we don't drive the things to extinction or anything. We're just gonna keep them in line and make a profit while at it, nothing wrong with that, right?"

It wasn't illegal, after all, so it wasn't even something he could get in trouble with the government for, it was just a business that he was gonna revamp and make it become big. He had never really seen a real life dragon himself, but he heard histories and from the sounds of it, maybe hunting them down would actually be an improvement to Pandora as a whole. Then again, some people did have them as pets, of all things, so he had to wonder just how dangerous those things really were.

Qrow Branwen likes this.
  7. Qrow Branwen

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link

[​IMG]

"Cute is debatable, furry though, definitely not." What kind of monster was cute? Other than toddlers. "Though honestly you never know with dragons, maybe some of them do have fur."

"Ah." No, Qrow would definitely not call Dragons cute, based on the one he'd seen. The word itself gave him a visible pause, and he breifly had to wonder-- to fear-- if they were talking about the same creature. "Dragons, huh?" Calling them monsters was not harsh in his opinion at all, but Qrow had to remind himself that the beasts the bartender was referring to was not the king of the Grimm who had nearly destroyed Beacon Academy. "I've only ever seen one, and let me just say, I'm lucky to tell the tale." And that was saying something.

He listened to the man's description of the creatures he knew. They were obviously not demonic dark lords like the Grimm Dragon had been, but still, Qrow didn't like the sound of them. "We're gonna be hunting those." 'We?' What did he mean by 'we?' The huntsman hadn't agreed to anything yet. Still, the word made him think about whether he should or not.

"I don't plan on going overboard with this though, I'm putting up some guidelines so we don't drive the things to extinction or anything." That sounded like a good thing. This guy had at least put some decency and thought into his endeavors. "We're just gonna keep them in line and make a profit while at it, nothing wrong with that, right?"

Qrow didn't like the word 'profit,' but if this guy was motivated by monetary gain, that was his deal. Qrow wouldn't take part in it. What mattered to him was that they were helping people. "If it's for the greater good, then no, there shouldn't be anything wrong with it." He vouched politely for his opinion. "If dragons are a serious problem here and you need an extra guy, I'm interested." The huntsman relinquished carefully before expressing, "But I'm not taking a single coin for it." He then opened his arms and smirked optimistically. "More for you, I guess, huh?"

@Greed

Greed likes this.
  8. Greed

The Avaricious

Bartender/Crime Boss
    Race:
    Homunculus
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    Directory:
    link
    Not only did Qrow already have experience with dragons, and a pretty fearsome one at that, but he was willing to do it completely for free as long as it was for the greater good. How could any sane person refuse such a sweet deal?

"Oh yeah, I'm perfectly fine with that deal." Greed chuckled, evidently quite pleased with how this whole conversation had turned out judging by the grin in his face. "We could always use some more people, especially those with experience."

They both clearly had different goals in mind with this arrangement, but as long as everyone played nice, there shouldn't be any conflict of interests going on. They killed or captured some of the troublemaker dragons, plus some others that could be a good source of material, and then sold everything they could to people who would want dragons or dragon parts for whatever magic stuff they wanted to do with it. If things went the way he envisioned, then Qrow would find little to complain about and Greed would be able to enjoy having his services for free.

"Speaking of, how was this experience you had with one?" He asked, genuinely curious about the tale that he was supposedly so lucky to be able to tell.

Qrow Branwen likes this.
  9. Qrow Branwen

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link

[​IMG]

"Oh yeah, I'm perfectly fine with that deal." Qrow took a hearty drink from his glass, barely reacting to the strong taste of the alcohol. He'd grown so used to it, it was difficult to find anything that didn't taste as dull as water to him anymore. Pandora's wide variety of spirits had successfully provided a plethora of solutions to that problem. Being trapped in a strange universe wasn't all bad.

"Speaking of, how was this experience you had with one?"

He almost scoffed at the question, but the memory was not a humorous one. "Not very pleasant." He answered slowly for emphasis before preparing to tell the tale. "For as long as anyone could remember, the Grimm Dragon lied dormant deep within in a mountain. At the height of a great battle, in a time of mass panic and fear, the dragon woke, destroying the mountain that had kept it prisoner. That gives you a vague idea of how big this thing was." He raised one eyebrow.

"The thing about Grimm; they're made of negative energy. That kind of thing tends to grow exponentially, feeding on itself. The lesser Grimm prowled Remnant in pursuit of humanity's fear, anger, pain, and destruction. Things that attract and multiply them."

The creatures that Qrow had hunted for a living were never sparse. With his superpower of misfortune, all he had to do was stand alone in the wilderness for an hour, and they'd come in droves. Taking the time to reflect on his own dark thoughts and memories only made all the more Grimm show up, as if they were the physical embodiments of his woes, which was not far from the truth. The battle that ensued was always very cathartic and emotionally healing. How many others could say they could physically slay their problems?

Memories of the Battle for Beacon clouded his mind as he reminisced, "The Dragon attacked our school, Beacon Academy, leading a hoard of Grimm. They almost killed everyone the city. Luckily, my niece turned the beast to stone." There was no attempt to quell the brimming pride in his conclusion.

@Greed

Greed likes this.
  10. Greed

The Avaricious

Bartender/Crime Boss
    Race:
    Homunculus
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    Directory:
    link
    A humongous dragon from a species that was made of negative energy and were drawn to it, a conflict bringing so much fear from humanity that the dragon woke up and destroyed everything in its path, until a fair maiden defeated it by turning it to stone. This sure sounded like some kind of epic fairy tale and the fact that the fair maiden was Qrow's niece, and his pride regarding that, didn't go by unnoticed by Greed either.

"Sounds like you have one hell of a family if your niece could stop something like that." Greed then got another of the cocktail he had served for Qrow for himself, taking a drink from the glass before speaking up again. "Creatures made of negative energy, sure sounds like there would be tons of those attacking people regularly." He let out a chuckle.

If there was one thing humanity could provide pretty well, it was negativity, considering the things humans have done to themselves and will continue doing, those negative feelings would probably only grow stronger and stronger with time. Sure sounded like an awful world to live in when creatures like that were around to torment them.

Qrow Branwen likes this.
  11. Qrow Branwen

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link

[​IMG]

Qrow smiled in agreement at his compliment before muttering an elaboration on Ruby's special talents, perhaps a little too fondly. "She's a silver-eyed warrior. Like her mother." Summer. May she rest in peace. He returned his tone to that of a bragging one to quell a glimmer of sorrow, which another drink from his glass also drowned out-- as always. "When the kid unlocks more of that power, she'll be able to dispel Grimm with only a glance."

"Creatures made of negative energy, sure sounds like there would be tons of those attacking people regularly."

The barkeep had no idea. "Yeah, it was a bit of a problem back in Remnant. Guess you could say I was an exterminator." Qrow chuckled as he swished the liquid in his glass, judging that he had a couple more sips worth before he'd need to order another round, but that would probably be his last glass. This stuff was strong, and it had sufficiently given him a nice buzz in the back of his brain. An honest optimism, however, was allowed to permeate through his voice, carried comfortably by the alcohol in his veins. "Humanity will always have some sort of dark side to it. Just gotta keep it in check."

With a sigh, he peeled over a napkin and scrawled his scroll number on it. "Anyway, point is that fighting monsters isn't anything new to me. So if you need another, uh... 'dragon hunter,' give me a call." He slid the napkin with the number over to the barkeep, also remembering, "Never did catch your name." Considering the name of this bar, he could assume it was The Devil.

@Greed

Greed likes this.
  12. Greed

The Avaricious

Bartender/Crime Boss
    Race:
    Homunculus
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    Directory:
    link
    Sure sounded like that niece of his was someone special alright, or maybe this was just Qrow exaggerating due to his pride towards the girl. Funny, how he seemed to speak so fondly of her, like she was his own daughter. The way he began talking about humanity later, however, earned a bit of an amused smile from Greed.

"Some people don't want to keep that dark side in check, some would much rather embrace it. Sounds like those Grimm things you and your people deal with won't be going anywhere anytime soon."

When Qrow grabbed a napkin and began writing his contact number on it and handed it to Greed, the homunculus eyed it curiously before taking it. Since they were going to be working together in that aspect, he figured he might as well go with his real name instead of his human alias, after all, even if Qrow ended up turning against him in the future, he wasn't really going to be much of an issue to deal with.

"Name's Greed. I'm sure you already know why."
    He gave a sly grin as he took another drink off his glass.

Qrow Branwen likes this.
  13. Qrow Branwen

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link

[​IMG]

"Some people don't want to keep that dark side in check, some would much rather embrace it." It was true, as Qrow knew all too well. Some people found it far too tempting to take the easy route and give in to fear and violence. He didn't think that Greed could possibly be referring to himself as that kind of person, and perhaps if the huntsman was slightly more sober, he would have at least caught a bit of a suspicion about it.

"Sounds like those Grimm things you and your people deal with won't be going anywhere anytime soon."

"Yeah, great job security, huh?" Qrow snickered to himself and finished his glass before sliding it forward for a refill. He peered at the man after learning his name, almost finding it funny. Who would name their kid Greed? Did he grow up in some messed-up tribe that gave you a fitting name after you've earned it, like Qrow? He doubted it, but was too tipsy to really consider that the bartender could actually be an embodiment of the concept, or something else inhuman.

"You actually go by that, or do ya use something a bit more mundane?" He asked carelessly, unable to help imagining the man introduce himself as 'Greed' to a pretty lady and then meet her rejection at the absurdity of it. At least 'Qrow' rolled well off the tongue and sounded sexy, or so he'd been told.

@Greed

Greed likes this.
  14. Greed

The Avaricious

Bartender/Crime Boss
    Race:
    Homunculus
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    Directory:
    link
    Qrow's joke was enough to earn a chuckle from Greed and the comment on his name left him somewhat amused. It was true that his wasn't exactly a name, even though he was the embodiment of Greed, that was why he had taken another name for himself, just to let him blend in a little better with people who weren't his henchmen.

"That's my name and I usually only let people working with me know it, or some of the regulars at this pub, though most of the time those two go hand in hand." He took another drink out of his glass before gesturing to the area around them. "I formed my own little community here, you see. It's growing bigger little by little, lot of them were newcomers to this world that I helped get settled. They're like a bunch of stray dogs I took in and gave a home of sorts."

Looking around them there were people cheerfully drinking their time away, cracking jokes, having fun. They were a bunch he thought could be of use to him and were easy to bring to his side and now they were all too happy to work for him as retribution. Of course, a lot of those jobs were on the shady side of things, but it Qrow didn't need to know that.

Qrow Branwen likes this.
  15. Qrow Branwen

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link

[​IMG]

Qrow eyed Greed's gesturing hand before slowly peering around the bar a little more closely than he had before. A majority of the patrons and staff did almost act like family to each other, and the bar did have an air of friendliness and comradery to it that other bars didn't have. It was like a clubhouse, and considering the way this man eased through a conversation with a stranger, it wasn't hard to imagine most any newcomer who visited the bar quickly being roped into part of the family, or at least leaving with a smile at being affected by the positive atmosphere of one.

Being roped into a family of strangers was not new to Qrow, and he admired the environment that Greed had created. Had he known the truth behind the gang's laughter and discussions, he might have instead been reminded of his blood-related family whom he was much less fond of-- a family composed of murderers and thieves. Either way, Qrow would have felt a sense of being at home here-- for better or worse.

"Well, that's kind of you. I'm sure a lot of people need a place like that in a world like this." Qrow commented as he stood up and paid the bill. "You'll be seeing me around." He smiled faintly at him as he patted the money on the counter, a good tip mixed in with it.

@Greed

Greed likes this.
  16. Greed

The Avaricious

Bartender/Crime Boss
    Race:
    Homunculus
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    Directory:
    link
    "That's kind of you" he said, in a way that was probably true. These people around him seemed to be mostly happy with the kind of life they were leading now, even if at the end of the day Greed just wanted them to be his henchmen, it was just easier to get people to be loyal to you if you made them like you instead of trying to scare them into submission.

Once Qrow stood up and paid the bill, saying that he would be seeing him around, Greed just smiled in return. He might not be working for him directly as a henchman, but having contacts was good all the same and at least he was going to be helping him with the whole dragon hunting business, that was good enough for now.

"Welcome aboard, Qrow." Greed took the money, taking notice of the extra that came with it. What a generous guy, huh? "I'll contact you in case we need any help with some particularly nasty dragons. Until then, feel free to come here as much as you want."

#16 Greed, Jan 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    Qrow Branwen likes this.