By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box.
Only the box is a world of its own.
We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.
Want to add a quote? Submit them here!
  1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. It's Activity Check Time! November 1-7
    Click here to save your characters!
  3. The new season is here and there's a whole new world to explore!
    Check out the Season Updates HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Pandora is broken.
    Read More Here!
    Dismiss Notice

Blinking embers, tell me true

Discussion in 'Pandora, Year 1 - 7' started by Kell Maresh, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Kell Maresh

Kell Maresh Guest

While he certainly wished for the 'regular' part, the redhead didn't entirely agree with the 'law-abiding'. He hadn't kept to the law of his homeplace and if the one of this place would disagree with what he wanted to do, then he would be fast to abide them too. Not that he had any desire to go and kill people or something in that scale, but he had smuggled before, had used magic that was forbidden and sneaked away more than once. No big disobedience, but not living to the rule either. Another thing he didn't mentioned to Bellwether, instead just smiled and waited for her to go on.
    He faded out after the mention of 'species', guessing where this question was going and deciding the details of the phrasing weren't worth his attention. So Kell took in the surrounding buildings, tried to hone his magic-sense to figure out the details of what flowed here. Not until she pointed the pen at him did he look back at her. “Well, I can't say for sure it's dying, but there were only two know within the last century – me and another one who's dead now. So maybe 'last of a kind'?”
    By now he was through with standing in the middle of a street, so he nodded at a free bench a bit away. “Let's go there, shall we?” Well, he didn't left her much of a choice, since he already walking in the direction, continuing to talk. “And given that you can't say much about an unknown race by name alone, shouldn't you ask for... traits and stuff anyway?” A survey sure wasn't meant to be this much criticized but the questions weren't precise enough to leave no room for it, so he used any chance he got.

Dawn Bellwether likes this.
  2. Dawn Bellwether

Dawn Bellwether Zootopia
    Wolf In Sheep's Clothing

Head of the Department of Public Affairs
    Race:
    Anthropomorphic Sheep
    "I suppose we could sit down, we've got a lot to cov-" she started talking as she continued making notes, before realising that Kell wasn't exactly asking whether they should go there and so she quickly chased after him. Once she'd caught up with him, she matched his pace, walking alongside Kell while staring up at him. The man, or the Antari, or whatever it was he was, certainly wasn't making administering the survey easy. It wasn't that he was being overtly hostile, and he was answering the questions, but...

"There are a few questions about dietary needs, and the capacity of any supernatural powers you might, you know, have. But even just knowing a name is, well, it's super helpful. If somebody from your world comes along and starts complaining about a really rude Antari, we'll know exactly who they're talking about," Bellwether could talk, walk and take notes like somebody who had been practising it their whole life, "but any details on the species would go a long way. Magical capabilities, allergies, weaknesses, that sort of thing."

Kell Maresh likes this.
  3. Kell Maresh

Kell Maresh Guest

He glanced down at Miss Bellwether, who hurried to catch up to him, a mischief-promising smile on his lips. Kell was aware that he didn't made this any more easier, but she had came up to him and since there was a threat involved, how could he refuse? With his wide strides it didn't took long to reach the bench, where he finally sat down, one feet pulled up to the seat. “There is only one Antari to complain about anyway – me.” Which just meant he was even more reduced to this powers instead of his personality. “If there was ever a reason to complain about Holland, they didn't life to tell about it.” His former colleague had been throughout in his task, leaving no room for mistakes.
    Still, a slight sadness crept into his eyes. It wasn't that easy to be all alone with powers about which barely anything was known. And Holland had anything but an good life. His hand wandered to his breast. Both of them had got a soul-seal, but his was willing done, meant to help, not to obey. “So, what exactly is your question then?” he asked Bellwether. She had already hinted at a lot of things she'd like to know, but hadn't gone specific. And he wouldn't answer to non-specific just so she could get more information than needed.

4. Dawn Bellwether

Dawn Bellwether Zootopia
    Wolf In Sheep's Clothing

Race:
    Anthropomorphic Sheep
    "Oh, you say that there's only one, but there's some temporal issues we'll get to in question six that'll probably take some explaining," Bellwether set the clipboard down on the bench once she'd finally got there herself, tucked her pencil into the wool behind her ear, and hauled herself up on to the bench. While she certainly appreciated the provision of street furniture within Pandora Town, it would've been pleasant to have more variety in sizes. Still, once she'd taken up her spot on the bench alongside the Antari, she took the clipboard back into her lap and smoothed out her blazer.

"Let's look at supernatural, magical, paranormal or interesting abilities then, first, since we've already established how you're a, well, you know, a magical being. Could you provide," she glanced back down at the survey, double-checking the wording it used, even though it was clear that they'd skipped some questions, and with Kell picking it apart as well, the survey was now more of a guideline than a script, "an overview of your magical capacities? And I am obliged to mention that actually using magic within Pandora Town does, well, technically, it requires a permit. Unless it's in self defence."

Kell Maresh likes this.
  5. Kell Maresh

Kell Maresh Guest

Well, now she´d made him curious – temporal issues sounded really interesting. With that Bellwether actually got his full attention, albeit his black eye sure made it unsettling to be stared at by him. It couldn´t settle on anything, but the black seemed to bring pierce deeper, showing hidden things. He considered for a moment to help her getting up on the bench, resisted mainly because it would probably have been unappropriated. No need to get into trouble for… harassing a sheep or such.
    “Oh, does it?” he replied to the point that he´d need a permit to perform magic. “Well, you can´t really keep the magic from me.” They were bound, it flowed in his blood, cursed through his eye, was settled in his bones and mind. It was simply that he couldn´t stop using it. “But! To the basics – I can work with the elements: fire, water, earth, air and bone…” Kell counted it down on his hand, letting a small flame appear above each fingertip just to spite her. “…and there are the blood commands and I can change place. Or worlds. That comes with the blood commands, who in turn are based on the whole being an Antari thing. Oh, and some runes. Theoretical balancing, but I´m really bad at this by default – to much chaos and blood intertwining, you see?”
    A catching smile from him, than he closed his hand to relinquish the flames. Not that they´d been any threat. For once he didn´t even tell her that any attempt to restrain his powers would end her with a seriously pissed Antari and that would be something she should avoid. After all he´d learned some things from Holland and the Essen Tach had been fun. Fighting, stretching his limits, was just what he needed and no one would keep him from it. And with his really simple explanation, she probably had more questions. Or just more rules.

6. Dawn Bellwether

Dawn Bellwether Zootopia
    Wolf In Sheep's Clothing

Race:
    Anthropomorphic Sheep
    As ever, just about everything to do with magic went over her head and, as Kell began to work his way through explaining, in broad strokes, what he was capable of, Bellwether quickly retrieved her pencil and began furiously scribbling down what he was saying. Once she caught sight, out of the corner of her eye, the flames dancing about the tips of his fingers, she raised an eyebrow, took a deep breath, and finished writing before addressing him. He could insult her, she could waste his time, he could flaunt his magical power, so obviously it fell to Bellwether to do something back to him, just to show she wasn't intimidated.

The trouble was that she couldn't really think of anything that she could do, right then and there.

"It's still against the laws of the city, even if I can't, you know, do anything to stop you," she watched as Kell just as simply dismissed the flames as he had summoned them with some concern, "but we'll just put that little display down to being self defence, shall we? Because I'm, you know, so threatening and all. Me, the big scary councillor, you, the poor lost soul trying to find their way in this new world. So I think I understand the elements thing, but what was that about runes? Could you elaborate on that?"

Oh, that was what she could do to make things difficult. All the while maintaining that polite little smile of hers, she wrote down the word 'wilful criminal activity' on the survey.

Kell Maresh likes this.
  7. Kell Maresh

Kell Maresh Guest

The main problem with the insults and threads on both sides probably was that she wanted the information and he had enough time to waste, since he had no plan for the day. So he let her write down the stuff, listened and raised a brow at how she was determined to put his display of magic aside. “Really? Runes? Not maybe, controlling bone or blood commands?” he asked back, amused but in a tone that suggested these were things she should more worry about. And given that bone control was synonymous with controlling bodies and that his blood commands could make magic do anything as long as he had the right word, that were powers needing regulation – if he wouldn't be an Antari, the embodiment of unrestrained magic.
    But he did barely left her a breath to reply, instead shrugging and starting with the topic of runes. “Runes are symbols for words of power – magicians where I'm from can't speak to the source like I do, so they use runes to bind the power. It's always one small symbol. There are ones for strength, to hold power, to hide, to bind, to protect, to translate...” Another shrug. “They are easy enough to use for commoners as long as the world has power and the user some ability to understand them. Not much use for the delicate things thought, unless you're an Antari and see the connections.” Knowledge was the key to everything, even magic. Without that any effort was futile.
    “You're sure you understood this? Being not-magic and all?” This question wasn't even about her being a sheep, but he had seen Grey London and people from worlds without magic had trouble grasping the concept. He wasn't up to teach her or spend more time than necessary on lectures, but it was better to clarify things so she wouldn't be seen as a monster. An abnormality.

8. Dawn Bellwether

Dawn Bellwether Zootopia
    Wolf In Sheep's Clothing

Race:
    Anthropomorphic Sheep
    Just as she was about to pass comment on the notion of being able to control blood and bones, two things that Bellwether would prefer to be left alone, Kell started providing information on how rune magic functioned. It was an interesting subject, not just for it's many potential applications, but because it also happened to give more of a glimpse into the social structure of Kell's world. Underlining the word 'commoners', she quickly finished off scribbling down his words.

"Well, no, I don't really understand much of it, being not-magic and all. But I've written it down, and that's what's important," Bellwether had overwhelming faith in the power of bureaucracies, and as long as the information was written down somewhere, she could show it to somebody who did understand it, "but where I'm from, magicians are... you know, pretending to saw people in half, pulling rabbits out of big hats, that sort of thing. Like a show. So how'd you know I'm not-magic, then? I'm pretty sure that even if I won't understand exactly how that works, it's important enough to go on the survey."

Kell Maresh likes this.
  9. Kell Maresh

Kell Maresh Guest

“Writing things down is important, yes.“ he agreed. “Right until someone decides it's too dangerous to be kept written and burns it or something.” With this he had made some experiences – once the worlds sealed themselves off because they feared the fate of Black London, all the books had been collected and destroyed. Nowadays it was incredible hard to learn something but he couldn't work his commands without the right words. The magic might be forced to obey, it wasn't so generous to do that if a necessary part was missing.
    Kell understood what she meant with the pretending magicians, there were enough of them. Really enthusiastic ones in Grey London, charlatans in Red London and well, not so much in White London where people lived like animals, fighting for anything. “If you had any clue about it, you'd pointed out by now that bone isn't the fifth element and you'd be very cautious at the mere mention of controlling it.” he replied coldly too her. Enough of an answer too the 'how did you know' without giving away what the bone part meant.
    The Antari wasn't so eager to reveal to Bellwether that he could control the bodies of people if he wanted – even Arnes forbid that, encouraging people who showed an affinity for it to unlearn it. He'd seen what could came out of it with the Dane twins. It was nothing he liked to do, but being an Antari, he had been forced to learn it, so he would have a full power set. Which was the main point about the powers of an Antari anyway – controlling all the magic that was there.

10. Dawn Bellwether

Dawn Bellwether Zootopia
    Wolf In Sheep's Clothing

Race:
    Anthropomorphic Sheep
    As awkward as it was administering the survey to somebody who seemingly wasn't entirely sure they wanted to do it, and quite possibly even suspicious of it, Kell had something of a point. Bellwether hadn't really considered provisions for security when it came to the information she was gathering. At the moment, the completed surveys lived in a series of filing cabinets, which wouldn't protect them from fires. Let alone fires started by a disgruntled Antari. The fact that the only power Kell had demonstrated so far was the ability to create fire, and here he was, talking about someone burning it.

"Maybe I've just got a really good poker face. Not that I actually, you know, win much at poker nights. Not that I really get invited to them that often either, now that I think about it. Every time somebody accuses somebody else of fleecing them, it's just really awkward. And I know, you'd think being one of the heads of government would pay well, but getting the office fixed up, refurbishing the apartment, finding clothes that fit, poker's a little too expensive. Still, it'd be nice to just get invited back, you know," Bellwether sort of paused, staring off into the distance, giving every impression that she really didn't have a poker face to speak of as she thought about what she was saying. After a moment of silence, she snapped out of the train of thought that'd she'd been riding, and gestured with her pencil up towards Kell as she got back to the matter in hand. Her tone of voice had slowly drifted once more to that chatty, conversational tone, which she used before the food comment.

"Shall we move on to another question? I think the bone stuff is, well, I'm sure the bone stuff is something Magical Advancements will want to talk to you about. I can write you a referral for a meeting with them, if you'd like. Oh, this one's an easy question, let's do this one! How old are you?"

Kell Maresh likes this.
  11. Kell Maresh

Kell Maresh Guest

The redhead doubted that Bellwether actually had a poker face. It seemed more like she had her emotions in check but would loose it if they got too strong. Something around that. Not that he was too good with a poker face either, but given that he had to deal with all sorts of annoying people, he'd learned to keep it back. Especially on his messenger missions, where most times, he wasn't speaking for himself anyway. Posture and mimic meant a lot in the world of power.
    But he listened alert to her story, even if it wasn't about the survey. The little sheep sounded lonely and he was tempted to comfort her – until he remembered that no one had been there for him either. So why should he be the nice one now, if nothing would come back? “You should try Sanct – it's a game without rules. All you have to do is win. It's more a test to see who cheats best.” he said at last, grinning. With his magic, he had quite an advance, but you could play it like a normal card game too. It was fun for everyone.
    Again, she gestured with her pencil around, at last warming to him again. Yet he frowned at the repeated mention of this apartment for magic. “How about you don't even tell them of my existence?” he murmured, already determined to avoid this at all cost. There already had been too much restrictions in his life, too much abuse. As for the age, a smile appeared on his lips, but it was a tinged with sadness. “Easy for you, maybe – I don't know.” Kell shrugged of his coat and pulled up one sleeve to show her the crooked rune in his elbow. “Someone sealed away my memories. The first thing I remember is arriving at the Maresh estate. I must've been about 5, so I should be 21 now. But while they told me a month for my birthday, there is neither day nor year and I don't know how true it is.” Well, she should have figured that 'bought and treated like a possession' didn't go along a happy story.

12. Dawn Bellwether

Dawn Bellwether Zootopia
    Wolf In Sheep's Clothing

Race:
    Anthropomorphic Sheep
    "Sanct," Bellwether repeated the odd sounding word curiously, thinking about the concept of a game without rules, a game about cheating, and what sort of society would even have that as a game. A weirdly honest one, most likely. "Well, I'm involved in politics, that's mostly the same thing, right? Although there are some rules, which is why I'd have to pass along this information to Magical Advancements. Inter-department co-operation and respecting each other's autonomy and all that stuff. But I guess, I mean, if they don't ask for your information, that's not really my fault, is it?"

Allowing herself to get worked up and frustrated hadn't really got Bellwether particularly far, and so drifting back to that friendly, casual tone where she'd just be so happy to help felt like the best course of action if she was going to get this survey done. Rather than focusing now on writing down what Kelll was saying about his age, or rather, the ambiguity regarding it, Bellwether looked up towards Kell, making a point of actively listening and looking... well, concerned.

"Oh, that doesn't sound ideal, I could just put you down as twenty one for now, and if we ever get those memories, well, unsealed or unstuck or, you know, just find a way of helping you remember, we can amend it later? The important thing is that you're over the adult age, so there won't be any problems with us finding work, or housing, or anything really, if you're wanting to stay in Pandora Town. Twenty one, right?"

The tip of her pencil hovered over the survey, as she waited for him to clarify, or perhaps even give permission for her to fill in the answer.

Kell Maresh likes this.
  13. Kell Maresh

Kell Maresh Guest

He fully agreed upon the politics. They usually were way worse than a game of Sanct or any other gambling. But he frowned at her insisting to inform this magic department – Kell would very much prefer his abilities to remain a secret, just so no one would use him again. All he wanted to be was normal. It couldn´t fully be of course, but not to be bound by responsibility was a good start. Upon her last sentence a smile crept on his face. Maybe he wouldn´t have to find a way to get rid of her notes with some magic trick. Just because he had some unique powers at hand it didn´t meant everything was easy.
    The friendly chatting helped to open up, mainly because people usual don´t talked with him like that, as if he was one of many and not too rare and too mighty to be dealt with. “Well, I´m certainly not a kid anymore.” He agreed. Not that many had ever behaved as if he was one instead of some fine weapon. “Just write down 21. Nothing will change at the memory part anyway – this is meant to be non-reversible. It´s forbidden magic.” Still, someone had used it on him. To break any bound to a former life, where he had to have a family. Had they given him up willingly or been forced too?

14. Dawn Bellwether

Dawn Bellwether Zootopia
    Wolf In Sheep's Clothing

Race:
    Anthropomorphic Sheep
    "And we won't worry about a birthday then, unless there's a particular day that takes your fancy. I've always been partial to August the third myself, just, if I was going to have a lucky day, that'd be it," Bellwether filled in the survey and, without saying a word about it, switched the pencil around to deploy the eraser on the end, scrubbing out the word 'magical being' on the form, "but maybe you could find a date that's important to you when, you know, you get settled in properly. The day you move in to your new home, or start a new job, or find a new friend."

"The next question is a bit tricky, it's not really tested very well so far, so if you want, we could skip it for now? It's about the whole where and when you were from thing, and trust me, we've had some pretty odd reactions to the whole there's-people-from-the-future thing. You feel up to it? I could just leave that one for now, if that'd help."

Twirling the pencil about nonchalantly, her hooves didn't really allow for the sort of dexterity enjoyed by humans with their full set of neatly articulating digits, and so after twirling about it for a few seconds, the thing went flying and came clattering back down to the ground, landing a few feet away from the bench.

"Still trying to get the hang of it. Been practising that for days and still can't get it quite right, they make it look so easy, here, hold this," she set the clipboard down in Kell's lap without much in the way of warning, and moved to hop down from the bench.

Kell Maresh likes this.
  15. Kell Maresh

Kell Maresh Guest

“It wouldn't be the same thing” was all he replied to the birthday. If it would be just about picking a day, he could've done that long ago, but that wouldn't bring him any memories back or give him a family that cared. So he could as well go without one, wear the missing information like a statement. Nothing was written in stone of course but for the time being it was like that. And she erased the 'magic being', for which he was grateful, albeit the Antari and the list of his powers still would reveal him to anyone looking closer.
    Bellwether could of course skip questions as she liked, he just shrugged at that. “Keep it for later then, but I want to know about it.” Difficulties in the question where one was from wasn't something too strange for him, he could keep his worlds straight just well, but how time played a role in there was something he got curious about and surely would come back to it.
    Twirling things over his fingers was something he did too, but for once hooves didn't worked out well as it seemed and he always got magic to help a bit. Kell smirked when she had to get up to retrieved it, but took the clipboard without question. And then he put a hand at her shoulder too hold her back, stretching out his other hand – the pen seemingly flew right to him. A trick, of course. Stone to flick the pen up, air to carry it the right way and trained reflexes to catch it. “Magic can be useful for lots of things.” he said, handing it back. “You don't happen to need a resourceful magician at your department, do you?” Antari or not, even he needed money at times. And here were no royal parents to give him what he wished for.

16. Dawn Bellwether

Dawn Bellwether Zootopia
    Wolf In Sheep's Clothing

Race:
    Anthropomorphic Sheep
    Bellwether's first reaction to magical things in Pandora didn't go well, culminating in her hyperventilating behind a bush in the gardens surrounding the Parliament Building. Each of the encounters since then, it's got a little bit easier to manage, if not understand. The scope of what was possible with magic still presented something of an unknown, which was inherently worrying, but she was coming to accept the sort of small acts of everyday magic that people wielded just to make things easier.

So she tried to play it off as just that, an everyday sort of occurrence, as the pencil sailed back straight into Kell's hand. Once he handed it back to her, she held just a little more carefully than before, partly because she was expecting it to feel somehow different for having magic used on it, and partly because she didn't want to drop it again. It probably wouldn't encourage confidence amongst the citizens of Pandora Town to see one of their leaders fumble about with a pencil.

"Well, if you direct your attention to, um, it's that question there," she leaned over a little towards Kell now, in much the same way he leaned towards her to look at the survey earlier, pointing out one of the questions on the survey. Half of it was typed out, rather neatly, while the second part of the question was scrawled in by hand afterwards. It read:

Survey Question (Revision 2c, Status: UP FOR REVIEW)
    When and where did you come from? Refer to specific events, dates, important historical figures in order to pinpoint this. Make sure the person is sitting comfortably, have coffee ready. This may take some explaining and has been known to cause confusion in participants. ASK ABOUT TECHNOLOGY TO ESTABLISH WHETHER THERE WILL BE "FUTURE SHOCK".

"And we do, well, there's nearly always a job available somewhere in Public Affairs. Although the chronic under-staffing hasn't really done much good for actually getting things done, and everyone's always kind of grumpy because there's lots we could do but we just don't have the people to really do it all, so there's the morale issue too, it does mean we're often within budget! Which is, you know, exciting, in it's own way," Bellwether's attempt to sound excited by this fell flat, but it was clear she was trying, even if no part of her believed any of it, "I mean, you don't get into politics to try and make the world better, right? It's just trying to make sure you don't spend much money."

Kell Maresh likes this.
  17. Kell Maresh

Kell Maresh Guest

Kell suppressed a grin at how Bellwether now treated her pen more careful, as if it somehow had gone infected with magic. But he couldn't remember a time without magic and as an Antari, he'd been encouraged to use it, to hone the power he had, to be grateful he wouldn't suffer from the infestation others could get if they used it too much. And in Arnes, living next to the Isle, there always was magic around, used in the everyday life without much thought.
    He quickly read the question she pointed at – by now, they probably looked like a pair of friends talking rather than some formal survey, but that was fine for him. Taking everything serious was so dull and you could get the same things done without all the formal talk. But as he said he kept that for later, simply nodded and gestured to her to go on with the other things. The question how it was with jobs hadn't been without second thoughts, since he needed money in the long run and doing jobs for the government had worked out well so far.
    So he listened. It seemed they could use all sorts of people, but missed the resources to employ them. She didn't seemed that happy about her work either, which he could relate to. If you couldn't do the things you wanted to have done, that was frustrating. “Isn't politics about keeping the people in a good shape and managing good relationships to other political parties?” The redhead shrugged. “But all I know are monarchies – 'born to it' for Grey London, 'holds the most power' for Red London and 'whoever manages to hold onto the throne with sheer force' for White London. And Black London probably got something along 'magic makes the rules', but you don't want that. I had the position of the royal ambassador myself. That and some bodyguard dutys for the royal family, so if you need something like that...?” Probably strange that he didn't focused on offering his versatile magic, but given that he considered the elements as playthings and didn't knew much about his other magic, he rather stuck with what he knew.

18. Dawn Bellwether

Dawn Bellwether Zootopia
    Wolf In Sheep's Clothing

Race:
    Anthropomorphic Sheep
    Kell hinted at the rather odd place he came from, which seemed to involve rather outdated forms of government and some very confusing nomenclature. Immediately Bellwether thought back to her own city, with it's many divisions to provide the right conditions for as many citizens as possible and came to the conclusion that it must be sort of like that, at least. Given the rather extravagant red coat Kell wore, and the phrase 'Red London', she wondered whether it was some sort of division based on fashion choices.

"Well, it'd be great if that's what it was all about, not that we've got political parties, really, it's more like, well, let me explain," she shuffled along the bench, a little closer to Kell, and started drawing over the survey page to try and help illustrate the situation in Pandora Town, or at least, her views on it, "so there's the government of Pandora Town, that's split up into the various departments. There's Justice, Intelligence, Commerce and Labour, Magical Advancements and, of course, Public Affairs, and the head of each department, that's the leadership for the town, and.."

She started drawing more circles on the page, and started to connect them with lines, rendering the illustration even more difficult to follow and the survey even trickier to read.

"..then there's the various interest groups in the town, and there's not really a huge amount of co-operation between the departments, I mean, we're obviously all working together to make our town just the best town it can be! But sometimes that circle does something and doesn't tell that circle that they're doing it and suddenly there's angry people demanding things have to change but that circle is only just finding out about it! And you try to get everyone working together and you try to say that.."

Bellwether stopped herself because, as cathartic as it was to voice her frustrations, there was every chance somebody might overhear her complaints. The government worked because, in her mind, everyone saw that they were working together towards some shared goal, rather than seeing a clustered mess of competing interests. As long as she supported the other councillors, they likely wouldn't look too closely at what she was doing.

"Ambassador? Like a diplomat?"

Kell Maresh likes this.
  19. Kell Maresh

Kell Maresh Guest

It were more facts he gave then hints, he just kept it simple so she wouldn't have to listen to a full history of 4 different worlds. At her lengthy explanation, combined with a lot of confusing illustrations right on top of the survey, he simply listened, growing more and more confused. Not that he made a hiding of that – he had all right to be confused, getting dropped of into a strange world.
    So what he got, there were lots of different groups and they all interwined but didn't really belong together or communicated with each other… not that he could do much there, it seemed to be a general problem of how they actually did things instead of a lack of proper messengers. Hard to work on that. Would be like trying to bring peace onto White London.
    Instead he rather focused on his task, that was easier to explain. “Almost. Ambassador means more something between messenger and represent of one partie. The messenger stems from being the only one able to cross worlds – well, expect Holland, but he did the same thing, just for the royals in White London. After the borders got sealed of it's more an exchange out of courtesy. Letters without much meaning. They are the only thing allowed over anyway. But since the respective rulers always want the things they can't have, it's like a walk across a tightrope to talk about the differences in the worlds. Or magic.” For him it was perfectly normal to talk about multiple worlds, as if there was nothing wrong in changing them occasionally.

20. Dawn Bellwether

Dawn Bellwether Zootopia
    Wolf In Sheep's Clothing

Race:
    Anthropomorphic Sheep
    The more she Bellwether heard about the rather confusing system in place in Kell's world or, by the way he told it, worlds, the more Bellwether was thankful for the relative simplicity of Pandora Town. For all the strange inhabitants that settled here, and all the people arriving day by day, it mostly functioned like the town she was familiar with. Even the baffling lack of architectural styles in each of the boroughs didn't phase her too much.

"Well, that sort of sounds a little bit like a diplomat and, let me tell you, not only do we need those, it's probably one of the most exciting roles in the whole department," she thought about how best to make it sound exciting, and truthfully, being a diplomat probably did count as the most glamorous role in Public Affairs, "plus you'll get to travel. Not exactly between worlds but I hear some of the other towns are pretty wild. So, and I'm sure you don't mind me asking, I mean, it's why I'm here, to ask stuff and generally get in the way, but do you feel up to talking about this whole London thing?"

She held the pencil up to Kell, still handling it with the same care that she was earlier; she'd certainly not forgotten that it'd come into contact with magic, and so needed to be treated with care.

"You can even write it down, if it's a bit much to talk about."

Kell Maresh likes this.