By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box.
Only the box is a world of its own.
We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.
Want to add a quote? Submit them here!
  1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Spring has arrived!
    Check out the Season Updates HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Have a nice day, Guest!
    Dismiss Notice

Private caught in the grind

Discussion in 'Elysium' started by Jasnah Kholin, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Jasnah Kholin

Jasnah Kholin The Stormlight Archive

Head of the Scholars' Coterie
    Race:
    Human || Surgebinder
    Alignment:
    True Neutral
    Directory:
    link
    SEPTEMBER 27TH, YEAR 108
    @Akane Kurashiki
    [​IMG]
    Traveling to Elysium had been more alarming an experience than Jasnah cared to admit out loud. Just the concept of settlements existing in space, and traveling there via translucent elevators and vehicles that didn’t need to touch the ground to move, had filled her with a mixed sense of awe and dread. Awe because it was truly amazing what people could accomplish with tools alone, and dread because space was large and vast and empty.

Rationally, she knew her dread was because she lacked an understanding of space and all it entailed. Being from a world that had never known marvels like electricity, or the internet, or a number of other such innovations, made it difficult for her to come to terms with unfamiliar concepts. But she was confident that, just like all the other technological innovations she had come to learn and understand during the last year, she would soon come to understand and appreciate space.

But until then, she would remain tense.

Eventually, she was dropped off at Elysium. Alliance Square rose around her, with graceful spires and a sky that looked like the sky ought to, but was purely a fabrication. Jasnah’s gaze returned to her surroundings and she was soon pointed in the direction of the headquarters itself, checking the time of her pocket watch. She was a little early, but as she had no idea how long it would take her to find the offices she sought, she surmised she’d be on time.

It wasn’t long before she was led to the offices of the Councillor of Science, one Akane Kurashiki, and asked to wait before Miss Kurashiki had wrapped up with her previous meeting. So Jasnah settled down in one of the chairs, smoothing out her skirts and folding her hands over her lap. Her mind swarming with thoughts that were more troubled than the vast, black emptiness she knew was just beyond the fake sky outside.

Akane Kurashiki likes this.

2. [​IMG]

It took what felt like forever for the concerned citizen to leave Akane’s office, after what felt like ten years of hearing some kind of plan about a convoluted hydration system for growing plants that stopped making sense about an hour in. She kept her cool, however, nodding at all the appropriate moments and accepting what felt like a ream of paper (definitely environment-conscious, this one) before he finally stood up and she showed him to the door.

She didn’t even have time to heave a sigh of relief, however, as she noticed someone sitting outside - a dark-haired woman who sat there politely, but so had the man before her…

Akane hoped this new visitor wouldn’t be nearly as obnoxious as she raised her voice. “Can I help you?” she asked, trying to sound as polite and unburdened as possible, reminding herself that she was going to help people in this job. Not necessarily every single person who came in with an outlandish proposal, but certainly some. This was what changing the world like a normal person looked like, she thought as she held out her hand for the woman to shake.

Jasnah Kholin likes this.
  3. Jasnah Kholin

Race:
    Human || Surgebinder
    Alignment:
    True Neutral
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]
    Jasnah hadn’t been waiting long. But her thoughts had started to run ahead of her at such a hurried pace, she’d almost pulled a notebook out of her safepouch just to jot it all down. She raised an eyebrow before standing to her feet, Ivory — her spren, inky-black and humanoid in shape — having shrunk down to the size of a speck of dust as soon as they arrived at Elysium. He was invisible to the naked eye, but she knew he was there. It wasn’t often that he strayed from her side, not when he was as hungry for knowledge as she was.

“We had an appointment together,” Jasnah reminded her, having learned enough in the last year to know that shaking hands was considered an appropriate greeting. She shook the woman’s hand with her right, her left hand — the safehand, in Vorin terms — covered by her longer sleeve and pressed against her side. “I’m Jasnah Kholin, the Head of the Scholars’ Coterie located in the Crystal Vales.”

4. [​IMG]

Akane nodded at the mention of the appointment. It seemed like her days were mostly filled with them, but she hadn’t met this person yet, and quickly figured out why. Jasnah Kholin had been the unfamiliar name on the docket that morning, but she was a prominent figure in the Crystal Vales just as Akane was in Elysium.

“It’s nice to meet you, Ms. Kholin,” Akane said, hoping the formal address was the correct response here. She hated being so formal all the time, but plenty of people seemed to expect it.

She didn’t waste any time leading Jasnah back to her office and pulling out a chair for her at a wooden table, a nice one with plenty of space for a notebook or laptop or whatever she might want to take notes with. “I wondered what was going on in the Crystal Vales when I saw your name on my schedule this morning,” Akane said as she settled down with her half-full mug of tea from her previous meeting. “What can I do to help you?”

It must be something important in order to justify the journey to literal space, but Akane was less than sure about the actual subject matter at hand. All she knew about the Crystal Vales was that it was extremely hard to get technology to work there because of some kind of pervasive magic in the air, but there was nothing she could do about that. Hopefully the problem would be a little more solvable… she tapped a pen against her notebook as she tried to think of what might be going on that would require her assistance.

5. Jasnah Kholin

Race:
    Human || Surgebinder
    Alignment:
    True Neutral
    Directory:
    link

[​IMG]
    One of Jasnah’s eyebrows rose. Although she already knew who Kurashiki was — Jasnah wouldn’t have requested a meeting with her otherwise — she’d expected Kurashiki to introduce herself in turn. It was only proper, when Jasnah had done so earlier. Still, after all this time of living in a world as diverse as Pandora’s, Jasnah knew better than to assume what she considered rude was rude by others’ standards. So she remained silent as she followed Kurashiki into her office, and even re-evaluated her previous assessment of the woman when Kurashiki pulled out a chair for her.

It was just minor differences in what they each considered proper, nothing more.

Jasnah settled into the chair, crossing her hands on her lap. “Nothing of great import, I’m afraid.” She’d taken care to look into the comings and goings of the Crystal Vales when she’d first awakened there after the world’s end — the Desolation, for lack of a better term. Even if whatever history book she’d come across had been written in complete gibberish, much to her chagrin. She’d had to ask around to learn about recent events, but at least no one in Cascade Bay had thought much of her questions. Her reputation as a historian was considered common knowledge, but when history itself had been irrevocably altered...

“As the Head of the Scholars’ Coterie, my specialty lies in history.” She didn’t know how close Ivory was anymore, not when he was no larger than a speck of dust, but she suspected he was somewhere close. “We don’t have many scientists in the Crystal Vales, but I’ve often found that science plays an integral role in the development of any society. How would you say it played a role in Elysium’s development?” A general enough question to start digging around, she judged.

6. [​IMG]

Akane’s mind was completely on business. Yes, she could sit around and make pleasantries for God-knows-how-long, but so far she’d found that most people, especially those who traveled to see her, didn’t want to chat. They came here to ask her specific questions, and they were most content if she just answered them and let them go about their day. The few who wanted to get her talking about things other than scientific advancements would soon find out that she could be quite chatty.

And yet, strangely enough, even though Jasnah had traveled from the Crystal Vales, she didn’t have anything of “great import” to discuss. She had an important position, as Akane had seen and heard, and she had traveled to Elysium, something that wasn’t necessarily easy considering the Crystal Vales’ impact on technology… what was she really getting at?

“Regardless, I can answer any questions you may have,” Akane said as she led Jasnah into her office and shut the door. She definitely had questions once she got inside, things of more substance - and Akane was curious as well, intrigued to see how technological advance played out in the Crystal Vales and if there was something in the area’s history to explain why technology seemed to break down inside its borders.

“I’d say it played an integral role here,” Akane answered. “Elysium can only exist in its current location and form thanks to advancements like the barrier making the air breathable, the spacecrafts enabling travel between Elysium and the mainland, and many of the everyday items here. After all, research would be greatly hampered if we didn’t have the advanced testing systems and lab equipment to work with.”

She paused. “You know, actually, I’ve been curious about how research gets done in the Crystal Vales, given the lack of technological capabilities. I’ve heard cell phones even have problems there,” she mused, wondering if this fell enough in Jasnah’s wheelhouse for her to be able to explain.

7. Jasnah Kholin

Race:
    Human || Surgebinder
    Alignment:
    True Neutral
    Directory:
    link

[​IMG]
    Jasnah had already pulled out her notebook, pen in hand. An ink pen, a common enough tool in the Vales and one she was familiar enough with from back home. Prior to the Desolation, she’d made use of less traditional note-taking methods when they’d been more common in Cascade Bay. Nevermind that everything had returned to a more fantastical setting now. Storms, she hated relearning everything all over again, but she supposed things could be worse.

There could have been a true Desolation, bringing about the complete and utter destruction of all civilization and its achievements.

She refocused her attention on the present, jotting down a few notes. Kurashiki didn’t sound like someone who remembered the Desolation at all, from the little she’d revealed. But there was more digging to be done before Jasnah could be confidently sure of that theory.

“Yes, phones can only be used in Cascade Bay with magical assistance, but even then it’s doubtful how long they’ll operate at peak efficiency.” Jasnah had never owned a phone herself, but she’d recognized their use. Developing spanreeds for long distance communication would be incredibly beneficial for those in the Vales who couldn’t use magic on a daily basis, but that was a thought to examine another time.

“As for research, we use less advanced methods that vary by subject matter and by each researcher’s methods. A mage would likely make use of magic, a scholar of a particular school of thought and whatever tools they have at their disposal.” There was no one method that was universally shared, which made for difficulties Jasnah didn’t care for. Unfortunately, she could only work with whatever she had on hand.

“Could you elaborate on these advanced testing systems and lab equipment you mentioned previously?” she asked, returning her focus to Kurashiki. “More specifically, on what methods were used to create them in the first place, in order to facilitate your research.”

8. [​IMG]

Jasnah wasted no time pulling out her notebook and getting to the questions. She seemed to be a woman after Akane’s own heart, not wasting time with pleasantries when there was work to be done. She did, however, humor Akane’s question about the phones in the Crystal Vales, giving an unexpected answer.

“Phones with magical assistance, how curious,” Akane said. “How exactly could someone give magical assistance to a phone? I would like to see one of those sometime, to see the interaction between magic and technology.” Not because it would be cool to play with, of course… not at all. Just for science.

The research process was intertwined with magic as well, something Akane thought at first she’d never heard of, but then she remembered all that time in Building Q, using her connection to the morphogenetic field to ensure everything was exactly the way it was supposed to be in the future. She had even used it during the six different timelines of the Second Nonary Game, finding her way to the true timeline by gauging the correctness of her actions using fevers. She hated gambling with her life like that, but she was determined to use every tool she had, and the fevers were a glaring call of “you’re doing something wrong.” It was like the research process, getting things wrong until you could learn how to get them right.

Akane nodded, satisfied with the answer. She was definitely curious to see how some of this research might be done, especially to learn about various types of magic and the tools scholars had at their disposal, but this meeting was supposed to be for Jasnah to learn about Elysium, not for Akane to indulge her whims.

Jasnah’s next question made Akane furrow her brows. How was she supposed to explain that she was still looking through the materials from the past to figure out what she had done? Yes, she was supposed to be some technological genius, and sure, she was capable of believing that considering what she had achieved with Sigma on the Moon in that one timeline, but that didn’t mean she had the everyday memories of the failures and successes that led to things being the way they were now.

“I have to be honest with you,” she eventually said. “I am still learning that myself. Do you happen to remember a time rather recently when the world was destroyed and then reformed?” She didn’t quite have a name for it, but no one could mistake a description like that. Not many people knew what she was talking about, but Jasnah was also in an important government position, and might have landed in it the same way Akane found herself as the Councillor of Science.

“I can answer questions about what we’re doing now, and I can look up some more specifics about the creation of the labs and some of our more important inventions, but I can’t tell you off the top of my head how they were created.”

With any luck, Jasnah would understand - and if not, if she was not one of the people who remembered, then she would simply think Akane was a tough nut to crack, which would give her more time to think about how to respond.

9. Jasnah Kholin

Race:
    Human || Surgebinder
    Alignment:
    True Neutral
    Directory:
    link

[​IMG]
    “It depends on the individual, but I should clarify that phones in the Vales have a limited use. Magic only provides them with a temporary power charge that allows you to operate the device, not communicate,” she explained, her familiarity with such concepts over the past year preventing her from stumbling over the strange words. “You cannot use them to contact people in other regions, or within the Vales themselves. We make use of other means to communicate.” If Kurashiki wanted to find out more, she could always come to the Vales to see for herself. As Head of the Scholars’ Coterie, Jasnah knew it was actually her responsibility and obligation to answer such questions. Under other circumstances, she wouldn’t have minded the information exchange. Would have relished it, even. But the horrifying uncertainty of a reliable history took precedence.

Kurashiki fell silent, and for a moment Jasnah wondered whether she’d disappointed the woman in not elaborating on her earlier explanation. But when Kurashiki mentioned the world’s destruction and reformation, Jasnah’s eyebrows rose in surprise. Storms, Kurashiki knew. Relief warred with disappointment, Jasnah’s mouth pressing into a thin line. As encouraging as it was to know that she was not one of the few who had experienced the Desolation and lived to tell the tale, this meant that Kurashiki was just as much in the dark as she was about the century that had passed them in the blink of an eye.

“Most would think you were going insane, with talk like that,” she eventually said, setting down her pen. “In your place, I would be extremely careful about who I told such things to. Being so open leaves you vulnerable, as important a value as honesty is. But...” She sighed softly, then lifted her violet-colored eyes to Kurashiki’s. “To answer your question, I do remember such a time. It was the main reason I arranged a meeting between us, to investigate the century that somehow passed us in the blink of an eye and yet a great many other people remember, making reference to key events frequently.”

Jasnah paused for a moment, then added, “I’d prefer this were kept between us, however. I don’t think I need to mention how precarious our positions in our corresponding governments would become if word of this got out.”

10. [​IMG]

The explanation of the phones was simple enough, but the ensuing conversation was anything but simple. So Jasnah did know about the reformation of the world, unlike many, and she too was being cautious about sharing the information. In a secret meeting with another government official, she felt comfortable enough to brush by with the smallest details, taking a gamble that ended up paying off.

Akane was aware that she likely sounded crazy, or would if the person didn't know what she was talking about. But she'd only made that mistake once here in Pandora, and she was quite used to sounding absolutely insane to people back home when she explained how she tapped into the morphogenetic field or SHIFTed between timelines. She'd gotten more than her fair share of crazy looks, but in the end, she'd managed to convince people to believe in what they couldn't see. That wasn't her goal here, but at least she could learn from that experience.

“I haven't spoken of it to many people... really anyone," she said, conveniently ignoring the fact that she'd thoroughly confused a reporter almost immediately after the reformation. “But I am just as eager to investigate this occurrence as you are. I am very familiar with changing timelines, but I have never seen the world as a whole skip ahead in time, rather than an individual or small group of people." She'd also never seen a SHIFT of a hundred years before, even in the timeline where she had to send Sigma and Phi back to prevent the apocalypse. That had been over half a century, but not quite a whole one...

“I agree that discretion is absolutely necessary," she said, nodding. No one needed to know they were looking into this strange occurrence, and after a life of keeping secrets, she was prepared to keep one like this as well. “I have heard whispers of another world, but when I look through the scientific journals and research of this period, it appears as though time progressed in a normal fashion, although for some of us, it definitely did not."

And then there was the strangest part. “Did you find yourself in your current position after this century?" Akane had apparently been quite busy during the past century, but she remembered none of it. Considering she remembered a great number of timelines where she had done a variety of things, it was hard to believe she wouldn't remember her involvement in the crisis, nor the way she'd obtained her position or helped to invent the bubble. It was disconcerting, and she would be glad to work towards a solution.

11. Jasnah Kholin

Race:
    Human || Surgebinder
    Alignment:
    True Neutral
    Directory:
    link

[​IMG]
    Jasnah’s eyes narrowed at Kurashiki’s words. “Another world?” she pressed. It didn’t sound like Kurashiki was talking about the sudden forward shift in time anymore, which made Jasnah wonder whether Kurashiki had come into contact with the Cognitive Realm — or rather, the Otherworld, as it was known here — at some point during her time in Pandora. The Otherworld didn’t really seem like the Cognitive Realm, but then again Jasnah was only familiar with Shadesmar. Her studies on the Cosmere back home suggested it all went far beyond Shadesmar. Pandora’s existence alone was proof that there were other worlds out there. But the Otherworld, during the few times she’d visited it, was very unlike Shadesmar. She’d always planned on researching it more, but...

Suddenly, she was aware of Ivory shifting closer to her ear to whisper to her, though he was still no larger than a speck of dust. “Careful,” he warned. “She speaks of special things, things most humans would not know or understand.”

Jasnah had surmised as much herself, but was thankful for Ivory’s comment all the same. He had a healthy paranoia at times, a trait they shared. She couldn’t respond without alerting Kurashiki to his presence though, so she simply set her pen down and folded her hands over each other on the desk, her safehand covering her right hand. Her safehand was appropriately hidden in her longer-than-average sleeve, something many people had asked after without realizing the rudeness in such a question.

“I did,” she admitted, her violet-colored eyes focusing on Kurashiki’s. “It is a position well-suited to my interests and expertise, and gives me the freedom to conduct research as I see fit.” Having Cascade Bay’s resources at her disposal in the name of research was as comforting as it was alarming, but she and Loki had enough personal wealth to their names in this new timeline that money was of no real consequence so long as she spent it carefully. Living with Loki was what alarmed her the most, something they both still had to come to terms with.

“I take it you have experience in timelines shifting from your world?” she asked, shifting the conversation back to the matter at hand. As secretive as she could be, what she sought was more information, so she decided to reveal a little more of her thoughts, in the interest of Kurashiki sharing some of her own. “In my world, Desolations are an infrequent but inevitable phenomenon, though its results are the complete and total annihilation of civilization. Only fragments of history and endless ruins remain after a Desolation. Pandora’s particular... Desolation, for lack of a better term... was quite different from what I’ve studied.”

12. [​IMG]

“Some of the whispers say the world of Pandora itself was reformed when whatever it was happened. I thought it was an apocalypse myself, at first, but no apocalypse resolves itself so cleanly, nor do the survivors forget it," Akane explained. She also knew that the actual world itself was no help under those circumstances, considering that so many years after the Radical-6 outbreak on Earth in one of her most hated timelines, the planet still looked crimson even after decades.

Akane wondered if she was saying the right things, if she was supposed to trust even Jasnah with this, but she relaxed a little when Jasnah admitted to having woken up with this position already. “It is so strange how people remember things we do not," Akane said. “And in my experience, those who remember the time when the world reformed, whatever you wish to call it, remember nothing of these last hundred years, and vice versa." She had yet to meet anyone who could remember both, although she hoped to eventually find an esper like herself who had different versions of themselves living in different timelines. Although if she couldn't see the other timeline, that made the odds of finding someone who could plummet...

“I do have experience with shifting timelines," Akane said, grateful that Jasnah didn't think she was crazy for this. Some people, she knew, wouldn't believe her at all, but Jasnah seemed to be a lot like herself - practical, yet willing to consider the existence of things others considered impossible. Jasnah's explanation of what her world did fed right into Akane's curiosity, although it didn't quite answer what had happened in Pandora. Clearly, there hadn't been an annihilation of all life, considering there were some people who remembered the century Akane had lost, but what else could explain it?

“In the world I came from, there were no such events, just a single apocalypse. After a deadly virus was unleashed on the world, the events following this led to the deaths of six billion people. Few of us escaped, but the planet never recovered, and none of the survivors lost time like we did here," Akane explained. “As far as I know, that is the only time that has happened, although Del - someone I do not entirely trust said that there may be another incoming. I had only just finished preventing the outbreak when I was called here."

Even that simple statement - being called to Pandora - was something that still confused her. She hadn't chosen to leave her world, nor would she have, but it seemed like she had been summoned by something (or someone) with a very ambiguous plan. Not knowing this plan, and thus not being able to explain what had happened to the Pandora of the past, bothered her - but that wasn't the only thing on her mind.

“The other mystery," she continued, “is the time itself. Clearly, events transpired during the hundred years, but I know for a fact that I did not age, and neither did my dog." She doubted Gab had ten years left in him, let alone a hundred, and the only person she knew in her own world over the age of one hundred was Delta, who had been 124 when he stood in front of Carlos' gun. He stood on his own two legs, and clearly had his wits and senses, but he was also clearly old in his appearance.

Akane was still young, her hair a rich brown with not a strand of gray, her skin smooth, her health intact. But what of the next hundred years, she thought? Would she grow old like Delta, scheming and vengeful? No, she planned to grow old with Junpei, with their children and grandchildren and cute animals of all kinds surrounding her. But for that to happen, she needed answers.

“I too have resources at my disposal, but every other time I needed to find the answers to some problem or other, I knew where to begin. Here, it seems like the more I think about things, I can see no use for all the tools in all the labs in Elysium," she concluded, wondering if Jasnah was also frustrated at her inability to solve this problem.

13. Jasnah Kholin

Race:
    Human || Surgebinder
    Alignment:
    True Neutral
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]
    Jasnah nodded, having suspected as much herself. “Though we’re supposedly a century into the future, to hear those who don’t remember the Desolation happening, the changes to the landscape alone suggest something more at work.” Cascade Bay had originally been on an island, but now it was on the mainland, along the coast and to the south of Pandopolis, which was so very obviously Pandora Town renamed. “Pandora already had the habit of making places disappear and reappear, and paths change direction, but before the Desolation they were manageable changes,” she went on. Under normal circumstances, such geographical changes took centuries, even millennia, to occur. Then again, Pandora had never been normal — or logical — in its workings. “Whatever was behind what happened this time, it’s obvious it doesn’t want this Desolation to become common knowledge, since whoever remembers it doesn’t remember this past century, as you said.”

Unfortunately, many believed that gods had brought them here, but Jasnah refused to believe in something so flighty without concrete evidence to back it up. Besides, there were plenty of gods in this world already — such as Loki, and even his fool of a brother — having been brought here from one world or another, who just as helpless to escape as the next person, for all their powers. At least there were plenty of others who scoffed at such beliefs, so she didn’t have to deal with the additional headache of being branded a heretic like she had been back home. Still, there was something more at work here. She just wished she knew what.

She listened to Kurashiki’s explanation, brow furrowing thoughtfully. “An unfortunate fate to befall your world,” she said softly, curious to find out more but knowing that now was not the time and place to pry. Besides, since it was unlike the situation that had occured here, it wasn’t vital to their current predicament. What was vital was how time had passed... or perhaps not passed at all.

“Whatever was responsible for the changes knew me well enough to place me in a position suitable to my talents and interests, and knew enough about my former history here to keep me in Cascade Bay and in the company of those I befriended here,” she admitted. Which was unnerving in and of itself, to have her most private thoughts and emotions laid bare for someone else to scrutinize. She suppressed a shiver, smoothing her expression into something more neutral.

“I intend to gather as much information about the situation as I can,” she went on, drawing her notebook closer. “Resources or no, the answers are there for those who know how to look for them. It will likely take me years, but I will gather as many accounts as I can and cross-reference them to determine the source of what happened.” Jasnah knew it would be a difficult endeavor. But the more important the endeavor, the more difficult it became. Just because it would take time was no reason to despair or balk.

“To me, the first logical step is to look up names that are familiar from before the Desolation,” she reasoned, quickly jotting something down in shorthand. “Your name was familiar to me from before, which is why I arranged to meet with you. Anakin Skywalker is another familiar name. He was in a prominent position back in Pandora Town, and seems to be Elysium’s Governor these days. If you remember any names of people living in this world from before the Desolation, and who are still around, I would greatly appreciate you forwarding their names to me.” She set down her pen, then glanced at Kurashiki with a slightly raised eyebrow. “Perhaps without being too forthcoming to them about what you know, this time.”