HeaderBox1

Welcome
to Pandora

By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box. Only the box is a world of its own.

We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.

Spotlight

Story Hub Banner

Want to add a quote? Submit them here!

1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. SUMMER LOCATION: SWALLOW FALLS
    A new island has appeared off the coast of Cascade Bay! Check out the details HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. SUMMER EVENT: THE DREAM MACHINE
    Master lucid dreaming today! Find out more HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Pandora is searching for staff.
    Click here for more information!

Suggestion Character Rotation

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by Dharke, Aug 13, 2017 at 5:38 AM.

1. Dharke

Dharke Welcome to Catbury!

Race:
    Bearcat
    Alignment:
    Lawful Evil
    I've noticed the new character images going into the rotation, and wanted to raise this as a potential suggestion again. This was originally posted in [feedback please!] Potential New "Spotlight" System, back on 2nd June, 2016.

Me:

I feel you could use the character rotation and even suggested canon boxes more strategically. The randomised system eliminates the chance of a staff member or player’s personal viewpoint getting in the way (which is great), but I personally don’t think it’s the fairest.

I once remember someone putting in their status update (not in a nasty way) that it’d taken four years to have a certain character appear in the rotation. In comparison, a newer player had their character put in the rotation after only a few months of being on Pandora. The newer player dropped that character and it was replaced by another of theirs, before they vanished from the forum. Isn't it unfair that it took so long to reward somebody who’d been more reliable and dedicated to the forum? Please note that I’m not attacking anybody!!! There could've easily been extenuating circumstances!!! I'm just giving an example of why I think you could perhaps consider a way to utilise the character rotation more effectively. :)

Here’s two possible suggestions (if they're any use at all ;) )!

• New players and/or characters exposure: Update it once a week (or every fortnight) with any new characters that have been apped that week. Massive flaw is that it increases the workload of the person/people who make the graphics and update the rotation.

• Reward: Possibly turned into a reward that's listed in the same way as custom member title and pre-req skip threads. Perhaps players have to have x number of IC posts or participate in x number of plots before they can ask to have one of their characters put in the rotation. Maybe you could consider Activity Checks, among other things!

Octi's response in that thread:
    So whatever happened to a potential shortcut, utilising an optional reward system? :D

I'm not going to lie; there is a bit of personal interest involved. I've been here 2+ years and posting consistently (a baby compared to some veterans). Even though it is a luck based system, I feel down and not valued because none of my characters have ever been featured on rotation. This is just me though; I fixate on my hobbies and take them far too seriously. :p That being said, I would still suggest these ideas even if one was, due to feeling strongly about rewarding loyalty and consistently.

However, I may very well be in the minority with this opinion! Most people probably don't give a shit! XD

Irene Adler, Perro, Steel and 4 others like this.
  2. Octi

Octi The Helpful Octopus

Music Teacher
    Race:
    Disney Fairy
    Hey Dharke, I'm really sorry that you've felt disappointed with the current system and that we haven't been able to be consistent with it. We are and have been for a long time heavily considering switching entirely to an award-based system and starting the spotlight from scratch for fairness. The prompting to update it when somebody claims their award would help us a lot in the process, and that way, it would all be more consistent and more fair.

If anybody else has any thoughts on this, whether they like it, whether they prefer the current randomized system, etc, feel free to let us know here! Otherwise, we'll be chipping away at working on this.

Dharke, Steel and Rani like this.
  3. Steel

Steel wisdom is for those who have time for it
    Lore Division

The Wolf King
    Race:
    Mistborn
    tbh, the spotlight system proposed in that old thread has nothing to do with the spotlight rotation which is selected randomly, but you raise a fair point as far as rewarding old members is concerned, Dharke!

Strictly speaking as a member, not a staff member, perhaps we could do a combination of randomly selecting characters every so often, as well as offering the opportunity for someone to apply for such a reward. If, say, they've been around for X amount of time, as opposed to having made Y amount of posts, since the latter system rewards those who post frequently as opposed to those who are slower? Regardless, I'd suggest we stick to each member showcasing only one of their characters, so things stay fair. Then again, combining the two systems would probably be a lot of work and hard to keep up with on a whole...

Honestly, we'd love to hear what the rest of the memberbase thinks and whether you guys have any suggestions in order to improve the system so that there's something for everyone!

#3 Steel, Aug 13, 2017 at 8:46 AM
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2017 at 9:01 AM
    Dharke, Rani and Octi like this.
  4. Rani

Rani MODgician
    Plots & Events Division Technical Division

I'm posting this from the perspective of a member, not as staff. Also coming from someone who, as far as I'm aware, has never had a character in the rotation.

I personally find the randomized selection more fair. Any kind of reward-based system would likely have to be based off of post count, which will favor people who post a lot. So slow posters and new members would be excluded.

However, right now the randomized selection is weighted towards players who have more characters, since it's using the list of accepted characters to figure out who to add to the spotlight. If we stick with a randomized system, I'd recommend randomizing based off of the player, not the character. And then whatever player gets picked, we randomize which character to showcase.

This is also coming from the perspective of someone who considers the current showcase to be just a glimpse of the variety of characters we have in Pandora, rather than a way to highlight members or characters of a certain caliber (whatever 'caliber' might mean).

In the end, I don't really mind which way we end up going. But whichever option we pick, there will always be somebody who inevitably feels left out or sad. And there's going to be no one system that pleases everybody (at least not without a huge and unmaintainable workload).

Just my 2 cents.

Irene Adler, Melda, Dharke and 5 others like this.
  5. Kitty

Kitty help, i'm FEELING
    Application Division

Race:
    Dragon
    Likewise coming at this from the perspective of a member, I both like the randomization but also the idea of switching it up often enough that most people at least get a chance to see their character in the spotlight, while also running it by player rather than character to give everyone a fair shake.

What if it was changed up, say, every two months? Rather than going by post count or length of time on Pandora (which kinda leaves new members and slower posters in the lurch) what if it's randomized by OOC account? So like, say for January, ten or fifteen names (however many you want to go in the rotation) get pulled from the OOC account pool (including staff and admin accounts ofc) and of those, one character gets chosen from each to be put into spotlight. (Maybe randomized, maybe the character with the most posts they have, whatever) and put in the rotation. Then, in March (or April if every two months is too much) 10-15 new names are chosen (with those who already had characters represented being pulled out of the pool--or, if that's difficult on a practical level, just picking a different name if the same one happens to be pulled twice in a row) and the rotation replaced with the new characters?

Names could sit out for one or two rotations to give everyone a fair chance at getting chosen before being placed back in the pool, and that way new members/characters would have as much of a chance as anyone else, and it lessens the chance of a character sitting in the spotlight rotation for months or a year or more after they've been dropped/deleted. A record could be kept of which characters were in the spotlight rotation each time, so if someone's ooc account gets picked again a couple rotations later a different character of theirs could be chosen, further lessening the possibility of repeats.

Just my two cents!

Steel, Fleet and Octi like this.
  6. Dharke

Race:
    Bearcat
    Alignment:
    Lawful Evil
    If it doesn’t cause complications or bump up staff work too horribly, I think Steel’s suggestion is a wonderful compromise between the two:
    Why not have both as options? Been here X amount of time or have made Y amount of posts with the character they want to stick in rotation? You could even do that if you decided to scrap random rotations and focused entirely on a reward based rotation, thereby reducing some of the risk of alienating slower players on the forum:

You can claim a place on the character rotation if:
    • You’ve made Y amount of posts (big number).
    • Or, you’ve been here X amount of months/years and have made Y amount of posts (smaller number).

Rani mentioned that it would exclude new players on the forum, but might it potentially give them the incentive to reach out to people and get involved in the role-play?

I totally understand the spirit of the random rotation though; it is fair purely in the fact that it neutrally encompasses all types of players and characters on the forum. I just think it’s a crying shame that players who’ve been here a long time and/or are crazy active don’t have this as some kind of amazing reward option.
    Interesting indeed!

Steel, Fleet and Octi like this.
  7. Perro

Perro Imperatrix aka murderfish

Sticking it to The Man
    Race:
    Erring on Human
    I love this idea! It might also be a good idea to ask the person who wins the spotlight to choose from their characters which character they prefer to have in the spotlight. Certainly, most people have a favorite character -- one they will probably NEVER drop or whatever, so it might be worthwhile (and to avoid wasted time) to just ask which one would be preferred -- and if they drop that character, you just put the OOC name back into the randomizer instead of immediately replacing with another of their characters. (That holds them responsible for who they choose and will encourage wise choices, hopefully!)

Kitty, Fleet, Cait and 4 others like this.
  8. Dharke

Race:
    Bearcat
    Alignment:
    Lawful Evil
    Sorry to keep going on about the subject, but if you decide to stick with a tweaked version of the randomised system (which seems like the possible mood of the thread), maybe you could consider offering up a "pity prize" in awards? Let the long lasting players who've never been lucky enough to get a place on rotation acquire one that way. You could set up some strict requirements (been a member 3 years and have made 1000 IC posts, etc). That way, you'd get people who'd "worked" to earn their spot, plus you wouldn't get a flood of requests and it wouldn't add too much to the staff workload!

Fleet, Octi and Steel like this.
  9. Octi

Octi The Helpful Octopus

Music Teacher
    Race:
    Disney Fairy
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone! We've come up with a kind of compromise between the rotation and the requirements and wanted to see what you guys think!

Potential New System
    A rotation that occurs in two months cycles. Each cycle has a maximum of 20 characters in order to keep it from getting congested and raise the chances of each character's feature being seen more. A thread will go up in preparation for the next cycle where players can submit ONE of their characters to be considered for the cycle. This character (not overall player) must fulfill one of the following two requirements:
    • Has made 100 IC posts
    • Has been on the board for 6 months and made 50 IC posts

In addition, we would add an award to our awards thread where if your character has made 500 IC posts, they may be added to the rotation permanently.

This is a system that rewards our veterans and we hope it will inspire our newer members to plot and thread up a storm as well! Bare in mind, though, that we do also have the monthly tumblr spotlight lottery option for everybody, which has no requirements at all to join!

Please let us know what you think, guys, we'd love to hear your thoughts!

Steel, Ganondorf, Rani and 8 others like this.
  10. Andii

Andii Player

Just as a question to this:

If you have a character who has made 500 ic posts (i.e. Egwene), would that take me out of putting other characters into the rotation every two months and/or keep my other characters who might be close to 500 IC posts to also be in the spotlight?

I don't have anyone right now beyond Egwene would who qualify for the permanent spot, but Wolfgang would be getting close... thus why I'm asking!

But seriously this is a great mix of things and is a wonderful idea! <3

Steel and Octi like this.
  11. Octi

Octi The Helpful Octopus

Music Teacher
    Race:
    Disney Fairy
    We're treating the 500 posts award as something entirely separate, so your other characters could still be able to be placed in the rotation cycles. And more than one character can definitely be put up for a permanent spot if they have the posts for it!

Steel and Andii like this.