By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box.
Only the box is a world of its own.
We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.
Want to add a quote? Submit them here!
  1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The new season is here and there's a whole new world to explore!
    Check out the Season Updates HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Pandora is broken.
    Read More Here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Pandora is searching for staff.
    Click here for more information!

Cruise Control

Discussion in 'Pandora, Year 1 - 7' started by Amy Wellard, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Amy Wellard

Amy Wellard Shardlight

Mechanic
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    It completely slipped Amy's mind that she was supposed to be keeping anything secret. She was much too content to care about silly things like her friend's privacy or anything like that. The water and company were both too nice.

Genji's question, however, was enough to get her to blink in mild panic. She wasn't concerned enough to actually freak out, but there was a voice in the back of her head that reminded her of exactly what Cagliostro didn't want her to do.

Which she was about to do anyway.

"Oh, yeah, he's actually a robot," she admitted, casually, "but with some magic too. I'm not going to pretend to know how that works, but that's not my department. I just make sure that he's working fine, and take care of him."

Genji Shimada likes this.
  2. Genji Shimada

Genji Shimada Overwatch
    To know yourself is to be at peace.

Bodyguard/Ramen Shop Owner
    Race:
    Cyborg
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    Genji stared blankly at Amy as she revealed what Denby really was, the answer being something he could hardly believe. A robot? Made with magic? But when he had touched the owlbear, his body definitely felt organic... Could he really have been a robot all along? Was that would could be done when you mixed magic with technology?

"That's... Huh...?"
    Genji couldn't even manage a proper sentence to voice his confusion, he had been completely shut down by that revelation. "I... was not expecting that," he finally managed to state, unnecessary as it was for him to do so.

There was little point in asking Amy how that could even be possible since she had already made it very clear that she didn't know it either, but it was definitely something that he would be thinking about for a while. Not right now because there were more important things going on, but it definitely would stay in the back of his mind.

Amy Wellard likes this.
  3. Amy Wellard

Amy Wellard Shardlight

Mechanic
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    Amy couldn't help but giggle as Genji seemed to have trouble processing the revelation that Denby was anything other than organic. Like most things about him, it was really cute. Not that she was surprised by his shock. She would've had the exact same reaction in his position.

"Pretty hard to believe, isn't it?" she concurred, "it's pretty weird to open up something that seems to be completely alive for maintenance. I think I've started to get used to it though, which is good, because I'm not about to let my squeamishness get in the way of taking care of him."

4. Genji Shimada

Genji Shimada Overwatch

Race:
    Cyborg
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    And then Amy mentioned that she actually needed to open Denby up to do maintenance on him. Literally, open him up. His expression progressively turned into a grimace the more he tried to imagine her opening a living creature (?) and tweaking with his insides before closing him like he was some kind of toy. It was a very strange, almost disturbing thing to imagine.

"... Maintenance?" Was all Genji managed to utter out in his utter bewilderment with everything that he had been learning in the past minute.

So were Denby's insides mechanical as well, or did he actually have organs? The former was the most likely answer, but it was still really strange for him to imagine that the little owlbear was, in reality, a very elaborate robot that was indistinguishable from an actual living creature.

Pandora was certainly full of surprises.

Amy Wellard likes this.
  5. Amy Wellard

Amy Wellard Shardlight

Mechanic
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    "Yeah, maintenance," Amy confirmed, "living in a desert means that I have to clear sand out of his innards pretty much once a week." Even though it was a little tiresome, she'd never give him up for anything. It was worth being a little inconvenienced if it meant he wasn't in danger of clogging up.

It was a good thing that Cagliostro had given her the blueprints, or else she'd never figure out how to keep him going. She'd never worked on actual robots before, so he was a good learning experience. Hell, maybe she'd end up branching out from just repairing generators and fans and water pumps eventually.

"The magic seems to be more for cosmetics and giving him more of a personality," she said, "since there's nothing too magical about his machinery. Which is fortunate, since I'd never be able to figure out how to fix that if something happened to it."

6. Genji Shimada

Genji Shimada Overwatch

Race:
    Cyborg
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    "Clean sand out of his innards" that sounded way more disturbing than the casual tone she was using to speak about it. Though that was alleviated when she told him that Denby really was mostly a machine and that the main thing the magic used in his creation did was give him a personality and a more alive appearance.

"I would be lying if I said I wasn't interested in seeing how that works." Genji chuckled. As weird as it all sounded, he couldn't help his own curiosity. "I never would have guessed Denby is a machine. He felt so... organic."

Genji was used to robots that were just as intelligent and capable of emotion as humans, after all, he used to be a blend between humans and omnics himself, but for as natural as the omnics could act, they were quite obviously still machines on the surface. Denby was something else entirely and it was fascinating to know that something like that was possible in Pandora.

Amy Wellard likes this.
  7. Amy Wellard

Amy Wellard Shardlight

Mechanic
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    "Yeah, looking like a normal baby animal is the point," Amy said, "makes people let their guard down, you know? He doesn't look like he can pack much of a punch, but once a fight starts, I can't think of many others I'd prefer to be fighting on my side."

Even just a normal robot was more than Amy had ever been used to. The best they had in her world was just cars, and so few of those were still in working order. It made her itch to learn more about the different technologies, just so she could expand her own understanding. Maybe she could also branch out into other mechanical work. Being an expert at fixing and maybe even building robot pets would certainly get her quite a bit more money.

"Really though," she added, "it doesn't matter to me how much of him is artificial. He's still the sweetest, cutest little thing I've ever seen."

8. Genji Shimada

Genji Shimada Overwatch

Race:
    Cyborg
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    So Denby was a fearsome fighter even though he looked cute and passive? Well, Genji wasn’t about to doubt her words, he knew very well how deceptive appearances could be, but it was still hard for him to imagine Denby being such a powerhouse.

"Purposefully made to give people a false sense of security. Underhanded, but clever." Genji said with some appreciation, but also sounding a little amused by it.

Even though most of Denby was artificial in nature, Amy still loved him all the same like he really was a real animal, not just some very elaborated doll. It was something Genji could appreciate, coming from a world where robots who had become so close to human suffered so much because of their nature as artificial creations. Even he had trouble accepting himself once a significant part of him became a machine, but Amy didn’t have that problem. It was an admirable trait and it just endeared her to him much more.

Amy Wellard likes this.
  9. Amy Wellard

Amy Wellard Shardlight

Mechanic
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    'Underhanded but clever' could sum Cagliostro up pretty well, Amy thought. She was glad she met her, but man, did she give off some creepy vibes when she wanted to. Still, that wasn't really something to talk about in such pleasant company.

So, instead, she simply shrugged and laid back in the tub. "It's effective, that's for sure," she said. After that fight with the raiders in the desert, she knew just how effective he could be at keeping her safe. It was nice to have someone to implicitly trust. There was no second-guessing his motives when his only motive was her safety.

--------------------------------------------------------------

After some more shenanigans around the ship, the two eventually went to sleep. Once they woke up, Amy was still having trouble processing the feelings she was having. Though she was getting better at pretending she was fine. It helped that she was enjoying Genji's company enough not to be bothered by the confusion.

"...but I still have no idea why he'd want 500 of the things," she was finishing up a story about a particularly odd job she had done in Horizon, "I mean, a few spider-robots, ok, I can see why that might be useful, but where the hell did he get 500? And why were they so tiny? It took me hours to clean all of the sand out of them." At least he'd paid well. Her attention was on the water they were looking at, having decided to just lounge around for a bit on the deck. Thinking about all of those creeping little things was just making her want to squirm.

10. Genji Shimada

Genji Shimada Overwatch

Race:
    Cyborg
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    Genji was leaning on the railing of the deck, his arms resting on them as he looked down at the water below them. Luckily he wasn’t someone who got seasick, or this whole thing would be far more unpleasant. Instead, he was simply listening as Amy told him a story about one of the jobs she had done in the past, a very peculiar one, indeed.

"You might have helped a supervillain fix up his tiny robot spider army."
    He joked, although he wouldn’t doubt such a thing happening in Pandora, the absurdity of the situation still made it sound too surreal to take seriously.

Amy Wellard likes this.
  11. Amy Wellard

Amy Wellard Shardlight

Mechanic
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    "Uh oh," Amy said with a laugh, "if anyone comes around asking if I was involved, you'll need to tell them I was here with you." It was really nice, just sitting around and laughing with someone. No fear for her future, or immediate present. She was relaxed in a way she really had never been before. Not since the bombs fell.

It was such a nice feeling that she wasn't as observant as she normally would be. Specifically, even though the underlying infatuation was fading away, Amy's emotions didn't really change. It helped that she wasn't focusing on her crush or anything, just the comfort of the moment. She wasn't even looking at Genji, still watching the water.

12. Genji Shimada

Genji Shimada Overwatch

Race:
    Cyborg
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    "Hey, don't bring me down with you. If you get caught I don't wanna end up as an accomplice." He laughed a little, happy to be able to enjoy some lighthearted chatter with someone like that, in such a quiet, relaxing place.

Yet, as Genji looked back at Amy again, he couldn't help but feel that there was something... off. Despite the fact she had done nothing at all to change his perception of her, be it in terms of appearance or personality, he just didn't find her as endearing as she was before. He was actually enjoying all this time they were spending together, so... what was happening?

"You know..." He began saying as a way to distract himself from his thoughts as he looked at the sea. "I'm really glad that I decided to go to that port. I just had this weird feeling that I needed to go there for some reason, like something was pulling me in and what I got for it has been really nice so far." He turned to look at Amy and smiled.

Amy Wellard likes this.
  13. Amy Wellard

Amy Wellard Shardlight

Mechanic
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    "Too late, I've already written up an alibi, you're part of this." Amy didn't usually giggle, but she was in way too good a mood not to. It was strange, just how comfortable and happy she was. It definitely wasn't usual for her.

That good mood surely wasn't going to last, and Genji's topic change caused Amy to frown slightly in confusion. Without the infatuation to distract her, she was able to focus on the fact that that wasn't a normal thing to do. People didn't just decide out of nowhere to go places, and if they did, they wouldn't just happen to have a cruise waiting for them, right?

"That is weird," she muttered, thoughtfully, "I was only here because my friend bought me a ticket, saying I needed to get out more. Find... some people... and she was really cagey about what was really going on." It was weird how she had just forgotten about Cagliostro being so weird just because of a nice-looking guy.

14. Genji Shimada

Genji Shimada Overwatch

Race:
    Cyborg
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    It all did sound a little suspect now that Genji had more clarity of mind to think about it. Amy was there waiting for someone because her friend had brought her a ticket out of nowhere and sent her there and not only that but the cruise was for her and only one other person, which ended up being Genji just because he happened to be there when the cruise was about to start.

"... Think your friend set all of this up?" He asked, looking at her with a raised eyebrow.

Amy Wellard likes this.
  15. Amy Wellard

Amy Wellard Shardlight

Mechanic
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    "If she did, I'm going to kill her." She didn't put any of what was going on above Cagliostro, at all. If she decided Amy needed to find a nice guy or whatever, then she could've done this. Hell, maybe all of the people on the boat were constructs of hers.

There was only one way to find out. Holding a finger up to Genji, Amy turned and approached someone working on the boat; a woman with a perfect retail smile and a plate of hors'dourves in her hands. She seemed surprised that Amy left Genji's side at all, which-- looking back on her actions during the cruise-- made sense. For some reason, that realization made her incredibly self-conscious out of nowhere.

"Excuse me, I have a quick question," Amy began, and the woman's brief confusion disappeared.

"Of course, whatever you need!"

"...right. I was just wondering who you work for."

"Why, the Happy Hearts shop, of course. I'm here to make sure your date goes off without a hitch!" her unfailingly chipper attitude was starting to give Amy cavities, but she pressed on.

"I don't think I've heard of that shop," she replied, which made the woman laugh, as if she were an adorable child sitting in a mess she made. A mess the worker didn't have to clean up.

"Of course you do! They're the ones who sold you your date package and true love potion!"

"Love... potion?" Amy repeated, feeling her stomach sink.

16. Genji Shimada

Genji Shimada Overwatch

Race:
    Cyborg
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    Curious, Genji slowly followed after Amy as she went to go talk to one of the workers on the ship. He listened to the conversation and heard about a shop that he had never heard of before. The lady referring to their "date" and then brought the pair of words that were going to throw everything in disarray: "love potion". While that would explain things, weren't those supposed to only affect you when you drank them?

"That's odd." Genji folded his arms and tilted his head. "I don't remember drinking anything strange yesterday that would cause that effect on me."

Amy Wellard likes this.
  17. Amy Wellard

Amy Wellard Shardlight

Mechanic
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    "Oh, you don't both need to drink it," the worker said with another giggle, "once one of you drank it, you were drawn to each other. Right?"

Amy blinked and thought hard about the day before. "I didn't drink anything but water. I mean, Cagliostro was... trying to foist... a potion... on me. Then tried to hide a smirk when I drank the water that was sitting nearby... oh, goddammit."

18. Genji Shimada

Genji Shimada Overwatch

Race:
    Cyborg
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    So only one of them had to drink the potion for the other person to get infatuated? That was a different kind of love potion from what he had read about in stories, a lot more abusable too. Amy slowly came to the realization that, yes, her friend had indeed slipped a little of the love potion into her water while she wasn't paying attention and now, everything made perfect sense. Well, as much as such a bizarre situation could anyway.

"Well, I guess we know why this all happened now." Genji laughed a little, unable to really get upset about everything.

Amy Wellard likes this.
  19. Amy Wellard

Amy Wellard Shardlight

Mechanic
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    Amy was not as good at taking it all in stride, mostly because she was more embarrassed than she could ever remember being in her life. She was being all infatuated over a guy she didn't know. No matter how cute he was, she had been acting like an idiot.

With a groan, she dropped her head into her hands. It was somewhat comforting, and helped her hide her growing blush. "I am going to kill her."

The worker glanced between the two, her smile turning into a frown. "Oh, did your potion wear off? That's too bad. At least you still have your date, and now you know you're each other's true loves, you'll be able to still enjoy it right?"

Amy's only response was to groan again.

20. Genji Shimada

Genji Shimada Overwatch

Race:
    Cyborg
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    Amy wasn't taking this nearly as well as Genji was. Probably because in a way it was because of her that this all happened, after all, Genji wouldn't have been there if she hadn't drunk the potion. Maybe that was on top of her just getting easily embarrassed by things of that kind, which were still an endearing thing about her even after the potion had worn off.

"Not sure about the true love part," Genji chimed in, placing a hand on Amy's shoulder, "but even if this whole thing was all a setup, all it did was put me on a private cruise ship with good company, so there's not much to complain about." He chuckled a bit, trying to make Amy feel a little better about it. "Might as well finish what we still have left, right?"

Amy Wellard likes this.