By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box.
Only the box is a world of its own.
We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.
Want to add a quote? Submit them here!
  1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Autumn is here!
    Check out the Season Updates HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Have a nice day, Guest!
    Dismiss Notice

DANGANRONPA [funky mystery music]

Discussion in 'Fandom Discussion' started by RedMageCole, Feb 28, 2016.

1. RedMageCole

RedMageCole Guest

Interest check: @Deia @Scallop @Moonbeam Funk @Captaineyepatch @Duplet
    So, Pandora's Dangan Ronpa fanbase is starting to bloom a little bit!
    WHERE THE HECK WERE YOU GUYS WHEN I FIRST APPED BYAKUYA.
    (just kidding, i know 3/4s of you weren't even on Pandora when I first apped him, dw he's been getting along just fine. however duplet you have no excuse how dare you drop nagito before i came on pandora i expect junkopocalypse (naw jk you rp who you wanna rp whenever))

Because of this, I decided to make us a fandom discussion forum! Maybe to kind of coax others into playing Dangan Ronpa characters too, which I'd honestly love to see as the cast of characters is large and has extreme diversity! Plus, let's face it, there is a ton to talk about with Dangan Ronpa. Soo.. why not, right? And if you aren't tagged, don't worry, you are still completely free to join in the conversation!

Also, Scallop, Moon, Captain, you three should know that Deia and I have been headcanoning that Byakuya and Chiaki build up armies similar to Fire Emblem: Fates's Nohr and Hoshido respectively in Pandora for the DR1 and SDR2 cast to fight each other to the death. And your characters have to be butlers for the lords. No exceptions.
    Get in the goddamn butler outfit, Makoto.

So! Some things to kick off discussion; when did you first get into Dangan Ronpa, and when did you first get into RPing for it if at all? What were some characters you RPed and still do outside of Pandora? And most importantly of all, have you tried a very, very fun game called Dangan Ronpa RPG, a turn-based RPG that's basically Final Fantasy/Paper Mario meets Dangan Ronpa? It's fun. And it's definetly not made by me. I am not Mod Togami.

I first got into Dangan Ronpa in like.. Summer of 2013, I think! And I got into RPing in 2014, because of Dangan Mafia (anyone played that? it was a lot of fun. and then games ended up being way too based on IC or way too based on the game and it was just not fun. i liked a mixture.) but then just started doing Chatzy. I usually roleplayed Makoto, Hajime, Chihiro, Touko, and mainly Komaru. You'd be shocked, but I rarely did ever RP Byakuya, though this was mainly because he was usually taken before I got to play him, but he was always my best muse deep down, and that's why I got him for Pandora! Sadly, Chatzy hasn't been as fun for me anymore since that community started to die out and I've just been losing free time to constantly respond to a chat.. But hey, Pandora's fun!

2. Deia

Deia Guest

Please, the SDR2 army is obviously superior. We've got a MECHANIC and a GANGSTER, you have a soft boiled egg

Weird jokes aside, I also got into Dangan Ronpa around summer 2013, and RPing in early 2014! Cole can testify that I've been doing Chiaki for a hell of a long time on chatzy, though I've dabbled with Sayaka and Mukuro. It's the same with me, chatzy was fun for something quick and casual, but due to drama over there it's very... Very dormant.... Pandora was like a ray of light in the dark for me! The ability to write longer stuff for a longer time AND amazing lore!

AND ALSO SWEET JESUS, GO PLAY DRRPG IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY!! IT'S SO GOOD!!! DRRPG has such a special place in my heart, it's a cute as hell game Cole worked really hard on and I love it!!!!!!!!!! So much!!!!!

RedMageCole likes this.
  3. Duplet

Duplet Guest

I loved playing Nagito during the time I had him, I regret dropping him when I did because seriously, He was doing a dance of death with gods and such. Also, solving hella mysteries.

I guess I'll abide by your crazy idea. Can't remember when I got into the series, I think it was when the fan-translation for the first game finally completed (2013-2012ish?) I picked up Chihiro right away. I started roleplaying in 2008, my origins come from chan sites/Imageboards actually and then transitioned to forum based with an occasional dabble in IRC Roleplay. I've cooled down on my obligations though, this is basically the only place I RP on anymore.

Nerds I've played are.
    • Nagito (Pandora)
    • Chiaki (Also, Pandora actually.)
    • Hajime
    • Izuru
    • Chihiro
    • Mahiru Koizumi
    • The Impostor (Probably the most fun I had out of all of them really.)
    • Byakuya
    • Komaru
    • Aoi Asahina
    • Junko
    • Akane
    I've played a lot of different characters in my young-life, My list of forever-played is actually quite a large text-document.

Gonna add in somethig fancy, Last year I participated in a large group RP based around Dangan Ronpa. We were all trapped in a survival bunker and our GM ran around as Monokuma. That was fun. Very despair and twist-like.

RedMageCole likes this.
  4. Moonbeam Funk

Moonbeam Funk Player

Race:
    Spooky Ghost
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    oh geez you guys what are you pulling me into

My memory's a little hazy, but I probably got into DR about the time you guys did, reading Oren's LP back in 2013 or so. I do know that I've been RPing in general for around 10 years though, and I think I made my first attempt at RPing Naegi not very long after I first finished Oren's LP. As far as who I've played from DR, that's really only ever been Naegi so far, although I've at least CONSIDERED Monokuma, Kirigiri, Gundam, and a few others before. I also once spent some time playing on an OC-filled Danganronpa RP as my own Super High School Level DJ and Super High School Level Assassin, though that one unfortunately died out. It's a shame, because I was really wanting to see where those two would go. I think I've still got some info typed up on them somewhere, as well as my playbys for them.

As far as playing Naegi goes, I get my kicks from tossing him in multiverse settings like Pandora, just to see what sort of awful chaos a completely ordinary hope-filled boy would get into when surrounded by total nonsense that makes his world look tame in comparison. It's interesting to me, because I want to see how hope alone can get someone in this type of situation. With hope and nothing else, can a guy like Naegi adapt to that? Well, maybe, just not always in the most graceful way.

5. Scallop

Scallop Guest

Wow so okay I feel kinda new to the fandom.

I watched Dangan Ronpa the Animation in August 2015, Don't worry thanks to Col'e divine intervention I'm going to eventually play it...he showed me the light. But I did play SDR2 in October and it was the best thing I had played in ages. I've seen playthroughs of Another Episode as well!

I haven't been big on the RPing but I've actually cosplayed Gundham and Souda! I started RPing in about 2011, starting on small RP forums where I found some DR RPs eventually. Lets see...who have I played

• Souda (now)
    • Gundham
    • Yamada
    • Teruteru
    But yeah, it's gonne be fun having the ARMY OF SDR2 TAKING DOWN THE TOGAMI FORCES! Also Souda's on a life long search for Sonia~

6. Moonbeam Funk

Moonbeam Funk Player

Race:
    Spooky Ghost
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    I really enjoyed the anime's presentation, and it did have really good opening and ending tracks. Unfortunately, it really does suffer a lot from its poor pacing in trying to make a 13-episode series for what should get at LEAST twice that much time at minimum to flesh things out and develop some of the characters. I'm glad to hear you'll eventually play it though, because the game itself is definitely worth it for the experience!

7. Scallop

Scallop Guest

Well Cole did sell it well with one scene, THE BURGER WASN'T 100% BEEF. But yeah I realise now after hearing some more stuff how much the anime left out, cos I thought "Wow, SDR2 has way more character development than DR1" But I realise that I was wrong now.

8. Duplet

Duplet Guest

The pacing was certainly off for the anime, there were no real lulls. Didn't help that I don't think trials are that good when you're watching them happen instead of actually playing them yourself. Would've liked the investigations to be more in depth than what I remember.

I think I watched five episodes of the anime and then just, didn't watch any further?

9. Moonbeam Funk

Moonbeam Funk Player

Race:
    Spooky Ghost
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    I watched the whole thing and what you said is pretty spot-on for the entirety of it. It definitely had some good animation and captured the style well, so I'm sure it would've been just about perfect if they had doubled the length of the anime to give the characters some much-needed screentime. The biggest problem was not getting us to CARE about the characters they were rushing to kill off so quickly, so the deaths generally had way less impact than in the games.

Seriously though, I love the OP and ED. Great music and style as expected from Danganronpa.

10. Duplet

Duplet Guest

Yeah. I fell in love with the OP. It's def up there as one of my tops. Music is just something studios seem to nail constantly at this point.

11. Amity

Amity Player

Hi guys! I just recently saw this and thought I just had to post here! I've been a fan of the Danganronpa series since it was first released on PS Vita. Ever since I have all three games on the vita from the first one right up to despair girls, not to mention playing through all of them at least about five times each. So far I haven't seen the anime or played any of the characters here in Pandora, but that might change quite soon :)

Duplet likes this.
  12. SnowyHeart

SnowyHeart Guest

I might actually have to play/watch a playthrough of Dangan Ronpa now.
    Curses that I've started the Dai Gyakuten Saiban game :/

Moonbeam Funk and Duplet like this.
  13. Moonbeam Funk

Moonbeam Funk Player

Race:
    Spooky Ghost
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    ONE OF US.
    ONE OF US.
    ONE OF US.

No but luckily, for those who DO want to get into the fandom, the first game was recently given a Steam release for people who can't/won't get it on Vita! From what I've heard, there are also plans for the sequel to come out on Steam too, so you should be able to experience the main entries of the series without any PSP, which has me pretty excited. The localization isn't perfect, but no localization really CAN be, and I'm actually fine with DR's. It doesn't really distract from the game itself. Plus admittedly, my localization issues are mostly nitpicks related to names and titles. The actual content, as far as I know, hasn't been heavily censored or anything of the sort, so I support picking it up if you can! If you love the Ace Attorney games, Danganronpa's trial gameplay will almost definitely be interesting to you, and it has a very colorful cast of characters driving its story. Being a big fan of murder mystery stuff, I couldn't recommend the games any more if I tried.

14. Scallop

Scallop Guest

I KNOOOOW! As soon as I have the money I am so buying it! And I can't wait for SDR2, since it's personally my favourite compared to the other two, as it's the only one I've ever played, and I want the pink haired nerd on my laptop! But yeah the characters don't come more colourful as Souda...who's very colourful.

15. Scallop

Scallop Guest

GUYYYYYYYYS

It's Happening

SnowyHeart and Duplet like this.
  16. Rika

Rika Player

Race:
    Human
    I used to RP as Shuichi and Kaede, fun times. I feel the ending of DRV3 killed the mood for a lot of people, sadly. I know a few friends who loathed the ending, but I adored it. It made a good point IMO.