HeaderBox1

Welcome
to Pandora

By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box. Only the box is a world of its own.

We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.

Want to add a quote? Submit them here!

1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. This beautiful little ranch along with its famous Lon Lon milk are back! Just don't harass the Cuccos. Make sure to visit while it's still here!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. A voice has begun narrating the inner thoughts of the citizens of Pandora! Read more about it here
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Pandora is searching for staff.
    Click here for more information!

Complete Death doesn't discriminate between the sinners and the saints

Discussion in 'Morhall' started by Roy Mustang, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Roy Mustang

Roy Mustang Fullmetal Alchemist

Race:
    Human
    9th February, year 7
    Tags- @Edward Elric

Al had been called away by Riza, but he had only left because Roy had promised to sit with the heavily drugged Ed and Roy had wondered what the boy had thought he was going to do, leave Ed here with no one to keep an eye on him while he rested, slowly healing? No Roy knew he was bad and often appeared heartless, but in reality the truth was he cared far too much. So he sat there and sat there, his dark, brown eyes never shifting from Ed's form, the silence had started off peaceful but as time slowly ticked by Roy could feel it growing heavy with the weight of his own pain.

He shifted in the seat, trying to distract himself from his dark thoughts by taking his eyes off the blonde haired teenager and instead scanning his room, it was a rather plain room, kept organised to military precision as Roy had never been able to escape that tidiness once he'd been a part of the military for awhile. But now the lack of interesting things in his room drew his gaze back to Ed, lying there so still, so quietly in that bed and yet Roy could see the steady rise and fall of his chest teling him he still continued to rest.

For a moment Roy's jaw worked as he watched Ed lie there, before he muttered"You know sometimes Ed, you're not wrong about me... I am on occasion a fool... You're just a kid... A kid I should have done more for, a kid I should of protected... This is my fault.. All of it.."His hands rose to his face as he let out a pained groaning sound, before shifting back in his seat.

His dark eyes found Ed's sleeping face as he went on"I swore that if I could not protect everyone then I would at least protect everyone I cared about after Ishval... And yet even here, in another world, in another dimension I can do nothing but helplessly watch.... I should have stopped you... I should have done something..." His voice faded away and suddenly he couldn't bear it anymore, his gaze shifted from Ed to stare out the bedroom door in the direction of the lit fireplace as he spoke softly more to himself than to Edward"My fault..." A distant look in his dark gaze.

Edward Elric likes this.
  2. Edward Elric

Edward Elric Fullmetal Alchemist

Alchemist
    Race:
    Human
    Roy might have thought he was asleep, but in fact Edward was anything but in that moment. He had been awake for a few good hours, irritated as it was the sound of a clock even in another room that had felt like the hands of time were pounding against the inside of his skull. But he didn't call for help or attention, lord knows he hated relying on anyone else and this was no different.

He hadn't been left alone for long though.The colonel had joined him and whilst he was grateful that there were other noises he could now concentrate on, he didn't let it be known he was awake for he wondered what the man wanted. But he knew. Edward knew that Mustang had come here to speak his blame and self hatred - things the Elric had no interest in listening to. And yet, Edward found himself listening to the other alchemist, though a small frown had appeared on his features soon enough, one he couldn't stop and hide no matter how much he wanted to. Even then, he only had so much in him...

Enough was enough.

"Shut up..." Edward let the words trail off into the otherwise now silent room. It seemed to echo around the walls before it finally sunk into the wallpaper, Leaving the boy a few given moments as he figured what he wanted to say to the fool in a moment.
    "You're always blaming yourself for other's decisions. How're you going to be a leader, a better leader if you're like that?" Sighing softly to himself, the boy had shifted just a bit, rolling onto his side and looking at the colonel quietly so when the elder decided to lift his head, he might see a slither of what remained of the boy looking back at him once more.

"And besides, who the hell do you think you're calling a kid?" There was no malice in his final words there, perhaps an echo of a laugh, but there was nothing more to it than that. It would have perhaps had the boy laughing at one point, but as he'd been pretty much confined to a bed for the last couple of days it was fair enough that the last thing he wanted to hear was Mustang blaming himself for something he had no control over.

He was never good at these kinds of things.

Sighing and rolling against his back once more, Edward sunk against the mattress before he draped his arm over his closed eyelids, his hand curled up into a tight fist out of frustration.
    "I'm fine." It was perhaps one of the biggest lies Edward had ever told and he knew it, he could taste it in his mouth and disliked how it sat with him as such. It was hard to swallow and to even start with, but it was there and if Roy had decided he wasn't buying it, then the teenager would just tell him to suck it up and that there was really nothing else to it. Another lie... But at least this one he didn't have to say.

"Don't you have Morhall to be running?" He was looking for an escape, an excuse to be left alone once more so he didn't have to pretend that he wasn't terrified of being left alone or seeing the colonel in such a damn rage again. But he'd do anything, even now, to get Roy to stop being so damn hard on himself.
    "I'm sure your people need you. So help them, why don't you? If I need anything I'll let you know." Turning his head, Edward kept his ace towards the wall, out of Mustang's sight.

Typical Edward, hiding behind a strong facade when all he wanted to do was to cry.

Roy Mustang likes this.
  3. Roy Mustang

Race:
    Human
    His gaze was drawn from the direction of the main room, where the fireplace was by a voice commanding him to shut up, startled his dark, brown gaze tpun to fix upon Ed. It seemed the boy was not as asleep as he had thought, Mustang shifted in his seat as Ed went on, giving him a lecture. Since when had he started accepting lectures from the boy? His dark, brown eyes shifted to Ed's face as the other rolled to face him and their gazes met, for a moment he felt like he was looking into the eyes of the old Ed, not the tortured creature they'd brought back from the vampires lair. Then Ed was ccarrying on, asking him who he was calling a kid, an ironic bitterness tinged his words and Roy wondered if Ed thought just because of what he'd been through meant he no longer classed as a child.

His hands curled on the arms of his chair, if Ed thought like that, that was his fault to, he was the one who had made Ed see the reality of the world. Before then he'd suffered a terrible trauma, but he'd still held a naive faith in the world, in people and Roy knew that his involvement in Ed's life had all but destroyed that. He said nothing, just stared back at Ed, noting as the young man rolled back onto his back the sigh that escaped him as if he gave up on him because of his silence. Then there were Ed's next two words, even the way he said them dripped with the lie he now told and Roy's surprised, face fell back into his usual brooding expression and he raised an eyebrow at Ed's final words too him, before letting out a snort as he spoke"I have three comrades and plenty of understudies who will keep Morhall running smoothly for the time being, so right now I have nowhere else to be and besides, you're in my home so to be a good host I should be here...."

His words came out smoothly, the tiniest of smirks played across his brooding expression before fading as he went on more seriously"You know you are an awful liar... But then you are a kid trying to play the adults game when it comes to truths and lies.." He did not know if he would get a reaction from Ed at that, the old Ed would of reacted with a loss of temper but the current Ed, he felt as if he was more likely to give him a dead stare. He shifted in his seat, leaning back, eyeing the kid in his bed in silence once more unsure what to say now, the guilt still gnawed at his insides and now, knowing Ed had heard him the guilt burned only more because the boy thought that of this, he was not guilty and he was mistaken. His dark gaze dropped away from Ed, looking back towards the living room, towards the flames, as slowly all his misdeeds, all his failures began to creep back into his mind.

Edward Elric likes this.
  4. Edward Elric

Alchemist
    Race:
    Human
    "I'm not your guest-" Edward surprised even himself at how badly he snapped the response and so suddenly as well, biting his tongue as he sighed and added on in a quieter tone, though no less bitter.
    "I'm your burden right now." He was no guest. He'd never really been a guest, not when he visited the Colonel to report to him and not now when he had been brought to his house to rest up. Edward was a burden here and he was sorry for that, though he would hide that apology behind a certain indifference he was still trying to convince himself he felt. But the alchemist knew it wasn't indifference, it was a void inside of him that had been rotting at his emotions and festering inside of him for the time he had been at the mercy of a nightmare.

One that still kept him up at night.

Those unnerving and cat-like eyes of his shot over to Mustang when he mentioned being a bad liar, again knowing another time he might have told the older man to shut the hell up and ask him what he knew about being an adult when he sucked at it himself. Bluffs and meaningless threats, but they were what made Edward who he was and he wasn't doing them now, he was losing himself. No amount of guilty looking Mustang hiding behind that insufferable smirk of his in his presence was going to make him feel bad enough to change it either. Besides, letting go had always been easier.

But wasn't that how it had been for a while? Edward playing an adult's game? He'd signed him and his brother into a game he hadn't realised all the ramifications of until it was far too late. He found Mustang's words to leave a bittersweet taste in his mouth and he would do anything to spit them back out, to tell the Colonel he could stick it, like he might have some time ago before things had changed.
    "Yeah well, my career wasn't based on telling people's lies. And no one stuck around long enough to teach me how they did it so well." Edward's eyes had crawled from the space beside him on the blank wall to the ceiling, watching the shadows cast against the plaster there from behind the curtains he insisted were always drawn in his room, so no light, no matter the kind, would touch him.

He even insisted on the lamps being dull and out of his line of sight.

As she shadows danced in front of him, the alchemist thought he would have to speak up next considering how Mustang had gone silent on him. But what was he supposed to say?
    "You shouldn't have come to get me. You knew the risks. You could have even left when you realised what you were up against. If any of you had gotten- g-gotten-..." Edward couldn't even bring himself to say the word 'hurt' let alone the thought of the monster getting its claws into any of them and doing more than harm. What if things had gone horribly wrong? What if one of them had been lost because Edward had been so desperate for more answers that he'd gotten himself in a mess he couldn't get out of on his own? He'd have never forgiven himself for such a thing.

"Next time, just leave me and promise to look after Alphonse." As much as Edward wished there wouldn't even be a possibility of a next time, he knew it was a lie. There would be more times he'd look death in the eye and hear his mother calling to him again, promising if he let go that the pain he carried with him would disappear once and for all. But the guilt of leaving Alphonse behind would ruin what was supposed to be his eternal peace forever, and he couldn't have that. Just like he couldn't have Roy blaming himself for something that wasn't his fault at all.
    "Morhall found itself a good leader. Don't let it go to waste so soon, Colonel."

Roy Mustang likes this.
  5. Roy Mustang

Race:
    Human
    It seemed the blonde boy was angry to be considered a guest, when his self pitying mind told him he was a burden. That made Roy burn inside, the boy was no burden, not now, not ever and yet something kept him from speaking, perhaps it was the fact that Ed was responding to his words about being a bad liar. The teenagers laid a low blow on him which knocked aside his anger, it faded from his veins and he felt himself climbing towards the eternal abyss. The silence held, his dark, gaze remained distant as he allowed the guilt to climb up his spine but then Ed was speaking and Roy felt a weight sink into his gut. The fire was back beneath his skin, running through his veins, how could Ed say this? How could he expect him to stand by? Let him die? No he'd lost to much to accept this. He gripped the arms of the chair as Ed asked him to promise to leave him and look after Al, his gaze stayed focused towards the fire in the main room of the apartment.

His posture was stiff, tense even as he heard Ed pay him a compliment, usually the compliment would of warmed his heart, made him proud, but he couldn't accept it like this, not after the request the boy had just made of him. Slowly Mustang shifted, leaning forwards in the seat he sat in, burying his tired face in his hands and quietly his brain ticked, in overtime. He was still silent not sure if he could trust himself to speak as he tried to decide between a rare show of honesty or the telling of a lie to end the conversation. He pressed the heel of his hands into his eyes for a moment before deciding on a small show of honest as he spoke softly, in a tired voice"Though I am grateful for your compliments Edward... You do not know what you ask of me..." He let out a quiet groan, before looking slowly up, examining the blonde teenager in the bed as he shifted back in the seat before he spoke again, his voice soft"I can't make that promise... I just... Can't."

He thought of Ishval then, of all he'd lost, of all those he'd had to leave to their fates, of all his failures to protect those he'd sworn to protect and then his memory shifted to Maes death, he could not lose another one. Its why he'd fought so hard, so desperately to get Riza back when she'd been kidnapped and again with Ed, he could not allow anyone else to be lost to him, he's sworn an oath to protect the few since he could not protect the many as Ishval had shown him. Even though these thoughts plagued his mind he could not bring himself to explain so simply went on his voice getting a little of its usual businesslike tone to it "As for Al, whatever happened... Whatever happens he's in good hands Fullmetal, we're not going to leave him alone on the side of the street... Though if you are concerned perhaps we should write up some kind of will explaining who gets custody of him should anything happen..." Not that I will let anything happen... He added silently, to himself, his unreadabe brown gaze on Ed as he sat there, watching over him.

Edward Elric likes this.
  6. Edward Elric

Alchemist
    Race:
    Human
    Tutting in annoyance, Edward ground his teeth to stop from snapping at Roy, though he toned it down a little bit, it was still on the more short tempered side of things.
    "I know what I asked of you. And I didn't ask it of you as my friend or even as a man, a human being with feelings and a soul... I asked it of you as the soldier you still are, deep down. If that time ever comes again, you leave me the hell behind and you get out of there. You don't bargain one life for the lives of many. Ever." Edward was showcasing how little he thought and treasured of himself in that moment, perhaps the most selfish he could have been as he disregarded, no, was unknowing of how much others would miss him exactly.

"Screw writing things down. Papers just get lost. Ink fades. But my word is something you can't forget and that words is telling you to look after him if anything ever happened to me, Mustang. That's all I have left to say about this." Edward resigned from the conversation, at least that part of it, his eyes downcast as he shook his head softly in response, his hand covering his eyelids whilst he rested on his back. This was one of those rare moments he didn't put up any walls in front of the elder alchemist, and moreover, he allowed himself to speak words he would never usually use on a normal circumstance either. Especially not in front of anyone else half as close to him than Roy was.

"Why does it does this? Why is there such an imbalance when the first thing we're taught is equivalent exchange?" He trusted Roy not to think of him as a whining child for believing in the things he did, for seeing it more than just as a complaint about how life was unfair and never worked out the way you planned for it to. Sighing softly to himself, he half laughed but there was no happiness to the sound, it sounded empty, hollow, full of despair as Edward finally, finally let tears fall from his eyes. His fingers curled into the front of his blond locks, scrunching them up painfully whilst the heel of his palm pressed over his eyelids a little more, tears racing down the sides of his face whilst he took a moment to find his breath and speak up once more.

"Its not fair. I hate it. Nothing I do works, Al is still stuck like that because of me and- and-" Still shaken by the fact he had come so close to death in the first place, the boy whimpered, shoulders shaking as he cried all the tears he had been holding back for so long now.
    "There is no such thing as equivalent exchange- Its a damn lie and we all know it!" Slamming his fist against the wall beside his bed, he sighed softly to himself before he wiping the back of his arm over his face.
    "Sorry... I didn't mean to-" He didn't even want to say the word 'cry' in front of Roy. Edward sighed again and let his eyelids fall closed, for in that moment he didn't look more like the child that Roy had first come across all those years ago on that Fateful night.

He was just a boy, a child, someone that needed to be held sometimes even if he wouldn't admit it.

Roy Mustang likes this.
  7. Roy Mustang

Race:
    Human
    The way the boy responded to his words did not please him, his form stiffened, anger burned through his veins and yet he knew the boy did not understand what he was asking of him, why it hurt him so. He turned his gaze away from the boy, trying to keep himself steady, trying to not react, he almost wanted to run because there was no way he was agreeing to this, he could not and as the boy finished he felt pain in his chest as he was given a clue as to how low Ed judged his worth to be. His head lifted slightly, he wanted to tell the kid how much he was worth, how worthy he was and yet the young man gave him little chance too do so, diving into his words about Al. Roy was almost glad at that, it meant he did not have to make a promise, he did not have to lie, he could keep his mouth shut about leaving Ed behind, something he was never intending to do. He looked up then, his dark gaze fixing on the young man as he finished and he gave him a nod saying"You have my word Al will be looked after, don't worry about that."

His voice was quiet, but firm and yet his words made no mention of the first part of Ed's speech as he looked upon the blonde boy for a moment before shifting his gaze away from him. There was a brief moment of quiet and then Ed was speaking, his voice angry, maybe even anguished. Roy kept his dark, gaze turned aside and kept his cold response to himself, Ed did not need to hear it, Ed needed him to be supportive not his usual self. Then the boy was letting out a cold, broken laugh which did stabbed icicles though Roy's chest, he hated how broken the boy was, he hated what had been done to him, it made him want to go out there and hunt the beast who had done this to him with the intent to make the beast suffer. His jaw worked for a moment as he kept his gaze determinedly aside, looking out towards the main room, as if the fireplace was calling to him. Then the boy was whimpering, the sound made Mustang twist to look at him, surprise in his dark, brown eyes and in that moment as Ed went on he saw tears in the boys eyes, something he rarely saw falling from the kids eyes. In that moment Edward transformed before his eyes into little more than a child needing a parents love, even his words added to this image and Roy's heart went out to the boy.

He was practically useless, sat watching in the chair just like when he'd first heard Ed was missing, he had no idea what to do, but he knew he needed to do something. Ed was attempting to wipe his eyes now, to stop the tears, to hide them with an apology and in that moment Roy was finally moving, not really sure what he was doing but letting his instincts guide him. He was off the chair and on the very edge of the bed, a hand extended to rest on the boy's shoulder as he spoke, his voice softer than usual"Don't... You have nothing to be sorry for... This reaction, it is only natural, shows you are human... And after what you have recently been through most would be in floods of tears all the time, yet you hold back when you have no need too." He paused his fingers now squeezing the boy's uninjured shoulder in what he hoped was a comforting manner before adding in a stronger voice"You are far stronger than you know Edward Elric." His instincts were telling him to hug the boy, but he did not know if the action would be welcome since most of the time Edward acted like he wanted Roy as far away from him as possible.

Edward Elric likes this.
  8. Edward Elric

Alchemist
    Race:
    Human
    Edward's hand had fallen back to the sheets resting over his legs, his only hand gripping at them as he clenched them up in his fist and whimpered. Roy's words were only making him want to sink into the shame of his own tears even more, his heart pounding weakly in his chest as these days it felt so temperamental like it was waiting to give out on the boy and at any time soon too. He sure as hell felt like giving up on everything. Was it really okay to let himself cry? Alphonse wasn't around and despite the amount of bickering Edward and Roy managed to get up to, he could trust the Colonel not to betray his trust and to know he naturally wouldn't want it being common knowledge to know he had cried today.

He didn't know what was going on when the man suddenly touched his shoulder and had come closer, he'd grown unused to the gentle touch of adults that let him feel like a kid again but it made him feel like it was okay to be now. With a heavy sigh, he tried to swallow back the tears Roy reassured him he had nothing to be sorry for, but Edward couldn't hold on forever, no matter how hard he tried. He'd already begun crying to himself before, and the alchemist could feel his walls crumbling down to nothing but dust, now more than ever.

With Roy being close and within reach, the boy did something no one would have expected him to. Scooting closer, he curled his legs up a little whilst his only arm wrapped around Roy quietly. He gripped at the elder's back, hand curling into his shirt before he bowed his head to the man's chest, his long blond hair falling around his shoulders that shook whilst he silently began to cry again. But it didn't stay quiet for long. Bringing his hand around to Roy's chest this time, Edward curled his palm into a fist before punching lightly at the elder's chest, mumbling things about being stupid for coming back for him, for making him feel like someone cared, like he was worth someone even caring for in the first place.

But perhaps the most heartbreaking things of all were still to come.

"Mustang..." Edward wept, his hand stopping to just slide down and curl into Roy's shirt like before, holding onto the fabric in a needy manner, like a child and their blanket or favourite toy for comfort. His cries echoed around the room as his own heart thrummed inside his chest now, anxious and alive as it beat so profoundly it made him feel like it was trying to leap from the confines of his rib cage. Forehead pressed to the elder's shoulder, Edward stared blearily down at the sight of his own hand clinging so desperately onto Roy, hating how weak it made him feel but knowing there was nothing else he could possibly be or feel in that moment. Desperate. And it was in that same moment that Edward felt perhaps the most exposed and vulnerable than he had in his life for a long, long time. But why? Ir was with the help of just one, softly murmured word that made his voice break when he spoke it up into the otherwise melancholy and silent room.

"D-Dad..."

It was the sound of a lost boy calling out to the person he perhaps saw as the current closest thing to the father figure he had been missing throughout most of his hard life, the same man sitting on the bed beside him and the same man he so despairingly needed now. But he didn't regret it, he didn't try to apologise and mask it over like he might have before. Instead he let his eyelids fall closed whilst he still whimpered now and then, the tears steadily staining Roy's shirt but he figured he didn't mind, for right now it was quiet and despite being so sad and perhaps unexpected, it was special too. But one thing was for sure...

Right now Edward needed Roy more than he could ever let the other man know.

Roy Mustang likes this.
  9. Roy Mustang

Race:
    Human
    Roy was not sure if his words were offering the boy any comfort at all, he could see the boy's eyes were going glassy with tears again though once he'd finished and then too his surprise the boy was moving closer. Roy let him, releasing his grip on his shoulder so as not to prevent him movements and then even more surprisingly the blonde's arm was wrapping around him, as he buried his face into his chest. Roy's dark, brown gaze widened with surprise, his face slipped from its usual stoic expression instead falling into a look of astonishment. His hands hovered uncertainly in the air over the boy, until he felt Ed's form begin to shake with what could only be motions of someone who was crying and in that moment Roy gently wrapped an arm around Ed, trying to avoid aggravating his injuries.

Then the quiet crying changed as Ed shifted his hand too his chest where he felt it changing shape into a fist even as he began pounding him feebly with it, while muttering about how stupid he'd been to go after him, to fight Dracula. Roy did not attempt to stop Ed, he just let him do it thinking that perhaps letting these emotions out would help him. Besides none of the blows hurt, they were not Ed's usual painful blows, but more controlled by the emotions in the kids heart. It was the words he was saying that hurt Roy more, the fact Ed viewed himself so worthless, the fact Ed thought he was unimportant and deserved death instead of a rescue.

But Roy said nothing to make the words stop, letting Ed get them out and simply holding him with one arm until the pounding stopped. He felt the kid's hand slipping to grip upon his shirt once again and Roy was now being clung to. He felt so small, so childlike clinging to him like this and the way he said his surname had Mustang swallowing back a protective emotion, the boy had never sounded so like the age he actually was before, it made the pain in his chest only grow more noticeable.

The room was now quiet and with the arm that was holding the boy to him he gave him a gentle, hopefully reassuring squeeze almost as soon as he was doing this something else came out of Ed, his voice cracking. The word he spoke had Roy's eyes flashing with surprise once again, even as the expression on his face changed to one filled with emotion, sadness, protectiveness, even pride and within he felt like his heart rate had picked up dramatically. But then his other arm was wrapping around the child, pulling him into a proper hug, letting him cling to him, not caring how wet he was making his shirt as gently he began to rub the boy's back comfortingly while saying softly his eyes now sad"I've got you... I've got you kid... Just let it out... It's ok... Let it out."

Almost instinctively he added the tiniest, gentlest rocking motion as he went on just as softly"No shame in letting it out, it's all natural and you're only human... A very brave, strong human no matter what you think... And someone whom I am so very proud of even if I do not say it enough." Something had instinctively told him that encouraging words might be more comforting than other things he might have said so he tried, before going back to what he had been saying"I've got you Ed... Let it all out.."

Edward Elric likes this.
  10. Edward Elric

Alchemist
    Race:
    Human
    The rejection Edward had been expecting and holding his breath waiting for never arrived, confused about why that was but some small voice inside of him told him he knew why. Mustang had seen him through a lot of stuff, done more than enough to try and help protect him as well and over the years they'd grown closer before finding one another in Pandora and continuing on that journey too. Edward was grateful for the other alchemist to say the least, his throat constricting as he was having a hard time breathing now, especially as he was held closer and found both of those arms wrapping around him, holding him properly like a parent might their lost child. And that's essentially what Edward was - a lost child. Until he found his feet again, he had someone he looked up to like a father and big brother to help guide him along, and he didn't think he could really ask for anything better than that.

But it didn't stop his crying, Roy's words causing the boy to bawl his golden eyes out even more as he cried out, hand gripping at the man's shirt again and again as it seemed he was never able to secure a grip comfortable enough for himself to be satisfied with. As if Roy couldn't be close enough to comfort him. He didn't need to tell the Colonel that he loved him, he didn't need to tell him how much he appreciated and admired him, he didn't need to say a damn word and yet he knew Roy must have felt some of what the single word conveyed if not all of it. The praise and encouragement for how Edward had survived so far has the boy choking on his cries now, streaks running down his cheeks as he sat there, curling up against the elder's side like he was trying to hide from the world just a little bit longer in this small room he was given.

However, the tears did eventually slow down and come to a stop. Edward had not repeated the word or even really said anything else in that time, mumbled and incoherent things coming from him instead before he would always fall back into an exhausted silence. It seemed that the sleepless nights and fatigue from the events were all catching up with the alchemist as he felt safe enough to let his guard down and give into the nightmares that possibly awaited him. Sinking down naturally, the teen's head came to a gently stop on Mustang's thigh, his small body laying on its side whilst his hair cast out a halo of gold around his head. With puffy eyelids and a tinted red nose, Edward looked like a child for sure as he sniffled and let his eyelids fall closed, tucking his arm in against his chest as it seemed he was giving in to sleep now.

Roy made him feel safe enough that he could give his body over to Hypnos for just one night. Roy was the closest he felt to home in a long time and Edward knew better than to let that go to waste. It seemed he had dropped off for a moment or two as well, but after the moments of stillness and peace he'd reached his hand out towards the other man suddenly, intertwining his fingers with the fabric yet again and for the last time tonight, anchoring himself to safety before he glanced up tiredly at Roy. Despite those golden eyes being tired, despite the boy being tired as a whole, he managed to offer up a thankful smile before giving in, his grip loosening and his eyelids falling shut once more.

Within a matter of moments Roy had the Fullmetal alchemist, the renowned and prestigious alchemist who had seen and done more in his short sixteen years so far than most adults, falling asleep like a child in his lap. If only Alphonse or Winry could see him now, maybe even his mom, perhaps she'd be happy seeing her little boy trust in someone so much again. For now Edward slept, sinking into the blissful and undisturbed slumber he had been craving so much, the faint signs of a small smile on his face, just slightly hidden by those unruly blond locks that tickled at his cheek and shoulders whilst he rested. For the first time in a long time, Edward was as close to home as he could find and it was all thanks to the man he had called so tenderly to just moments before.

Edward Elric would never forget that moment.

Never.

Roy Mustang likes this.
  11. Roy Mustang

Race:
    Human
    The boy was clinging to him only more with his words, but in that moment Roy didn't care about the discomfort, he only cared that Ed hurt so much, he wished somehow that he could stop the boy's pain, that he could help him forget what he'd been through, that he could of prevented it from happening at all. The guilt threatened to come crawling out of the shadows in that moment, but he forced it back, he could not let this become about him, no this was about Edward and helping him through it all, supporting him as he needed it. His words had only served to induce nosier, wetter sobs but Mustang did not judge Ed for that, the boy had been through hell and back, he thought he was lower than dirt, words which said otherwise were going to induce this reaction even if this reaction only made Roy's heart ache like it was about to explode. He hated that Ed was so down, he hated that the monster had managed to do this to the boy and the longer the boy sobbed into his shirt the more his hate of the beast grew, the darkness that had shown itself in Ed's rescue burned in his veins.

But for now he had to settle for making sure Ed knew he was there, that he cared, that he would support him, that he would protect him and so even as Ed sobbed into his clothing he kept up the gentle, soothing voice, encouraging Ed to let it all out while continuing to gently rock the boy like the child he was, his hand rubbing the boy's back in what he hoped was a comforting motion. Eventually the boy's tears stopped, but Roy did not let him go until the boy moved in a manner which suggested he wanted releasing, only then did he slowly ease his arms away, letting the boy slide downwards guided by his emotional exhaustion. Roy remained where he was on the edge of the bed as Ed curled up against him, his head now resting against the side of his thigh and the man took this opportunity to look away from the teenager in an attempt to school his emotions into something less revealing. But even as he did this Ed was reaching out, knotting his hand in his shirt drawing Mustang's gaze instantly back upon the boy, noting the grateful expression on the others face, the tiny thankful smile that made the exhaustion on Ed's face only a tiny bit more bearable.

Roy gave the kid the tiniest of nods, to let him know it was ok, that there was nothing he needed to thank him for even as he offered him the tiniest of tired smiles in return while saying quietly"Rest... I've got you." Though the boy needed no encouragement to do so as he gradually drifted off to sleep half in Roy's lap. Even as Ed was doing this Roy was swallowing down the sudden lump that had climbed into his throat, his eyes had a glassy film to them then and quietly he turned his gaze from the small form pressed into him. It was not right for the boy to have been reduced to this, it was not right that he had allowed for it to happen and he knew that no matter what Ed said this was on him. But even as that guilt sat in his gut a warmth clung to his heart for what the boy had said, he had never thought the Ed considered him so highly and to know that behind the amusing game of wind up that they played the boy respected him maybe even loved him like a brotherly or fatherly figure it warmed him to the core.

It also only made him realise that Ed had noticed how he looked out for him and his brother, likely had noticed how he always had looked out for them even as he had tried to act cold or heartless even towards them on occasion. The whole event with the vampire and Ed left Roy with a lot to thing about as his dark gaze ran over the resting boy, again his gaze went glassy with tears for a second before he pushed them back inside, noting how peaceful Ed looked in his sleep and wishing him only restful dreams while he whispered"I could not be more proud..."

Edward Elric likes this.