By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box.
Only the box is a world of its own.
We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.
Want to add a quote? Submit them here!
  1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Autumn is here!
    Check out the Season Updates HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Have a nice day, Guest!
    Dismiss Notice

Discworld

Discussion in 'Fandom Discussion' started by Thalia, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Thalia

Thalia Scratilicious

Unseen academic
    So, I thought we needed a Discworld-appreciation thread, where we can discuss our favourite books and characters and maybe even spread the love and convince other people to join the fandom =)

I'm tagging @Levi @HighSidhe @Blix @Loren @Twist because you (used to) play characters from Discworld and are familiar with the series =D
    Also, if you like Discworld and I haven't tagged you: a) please, forgive me, I didn't know & b) feel free to join our discussion.
    If you're new in the fandom and don't know where to start, we'll be happy to help you choose a Discworld book to read =)
    Oh, and there might be spoilers below :)

So, basically which books have you read/which movies have you seen? Who are your favourite/ least favourite characters? What do you think about film adaptations? Which characters would you like to see in Pandora? Do you think we'll ever see The Watch TV series? Other thoughts? Or anything else, really.

Maybe I'll edit this thread and make it more visually appealing one day...

#1 Thalia, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    Linnie, Levi and Blix like this.
  2. Blix

Blix Twinkle twinkle, little bat.
    Graphics Mod

Creator Of Things
    Race:
    Goblin
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Evil
    Directory:
    link
    DID SOMEONE SAY DISCWORLD AKA MY FAVE BOOKS EVER EVER EVER?! I freakin' love Discworld. *Heavy breathing* I will try to control myself as I answer these excellently chosen questions from Thalia!

I think I've consumed every inch of available Discworld stuff that's out there save that one game that came out in the early 90's or whenever. The books, the guidebooks, the fanbooks, the quote books, the wit and wisdom books, the board game, art books, tv shows, audiobooks, graphic novels, plays, I've bought scarves, pin badges, aprons, mugs, bags, teeth, Feegles...I eat Discworld for breakfast. xD It's so bad that I have a pile of books I keep meaning to read but whenever I feel in a reading mood...I just go re-read a Discworld book for the millionth time, lol! I have a problem.

So weirdly my favourite book is Guards! Guards! but my favourite character is from a totally different book. I fell in love with him from the moment I first met him, even though he is one of the last 'new' characters Terry ever really introduced us to. And that my friends, is this idiot.

[​IMG]

Oh god just look at his precious devious little face! <3 I loved him in the books and I loved him even more seeing Richard Coyle bring him to life perfectly; Moist von Lipwig. One of the most unfortunately named fictional characters ever and the one I chose to love. I love everything about him, I love that he's a criminal mastermind and yet despite that his hand in life has inadvertently made him into a public hero and he's so good at it. I love that he uses his deviousness to win the day against some real villains, I love that he's never got any idea what the hell he's doing and that he flies through every adventure he goes on by the seat of his pants. I love his relationship with Vetinari, I love his cop/robber relationship with Vimes and most of all I FREAKING ADORE HIS BELOVED WIFE ADORA. I honestly didn't think a couple could top Vimes and Sybil for me and then these two happened and they are SOCUTE. <33

Okay I am done gushing over Moist.

As for my least favourite character. Umm. I don't think I have one, simply because Terry always wrote even his worst characters so well. I guess if I was pushed to name someone it might be Carcer...because he was a bit of a shit, but he's really well written I just...arrrGGHH I hate him for what he does.

Regarding the film adaptions I personally LOVED the Hogfather, it was super cute and everyone was really well cast, especially Teatime! Susan was lovely and generally i think that was really well adapted. I also freakin' LOVED Going Postal, that cast was perfection. I wish a few bits had been more like the book and whatnot but for a low budget TV adaption I think they did a great job! Now...about the colour of magic/light fantastic adaption. Personally I don't think it worked at all. I wasn't entirely sold on the cast and I feel like the low budget aspect just made it a little shonky. I also wasn't sold on the casting of Rincewind AT ALL. I love David Jason but he didn't work as Rincewind for me. Sean Astin was a great Twoflower though! I just...Rincewind was so wrong for me and that detracted from my enjoyment I think.

I'm still holding out hope for a series of The Watch, but it might be a while before we get it. I have heard rumour that The Wee Free Men is going to be made by Jim Henson's company and that Rhiannon Pratchett is assisting with the script. *Crosses fingers* Only time will tell!

Ooh what might be cool is seeing peoples Discworld collections! When I get five minutes spare I'm gonna stick my Discworld stuff together and take a pic! =D

And to end on, I just want to say that I reeeeeeeeeeally want a Swamp Dragon. So. Cute.​

Levi and Thalia like this.
  3. Levi

Levi Guest

Why hello, I think this may be the thread for me. I'll just settle down by the fireplace and never leave.

I came to the books just a few years ago— rather through a back door, I was nosing around tvtropes and I forget what the actual connection was (I assume it was something to do with Vimes and a certain other copper being compared because I know myself) but anyway. I ended up reading Vimes' wikipedia page and already falling in love, so that was that. Guards! Guards! was the first book I read. My first impression was right and hasn't changed; Vimes is my favorite. He's a diamond among an embarrassment of riches though. I even have new respect for Nobby Nobbs, of all people(?).

I still haven't ventured past the Watch books, but I will as soon as I finish them all... I'm close. I'm starting The Fifth Elephant and then I'm down to Thud! and Night Watch (which considering it's apparently a parody/parallel/second cousin of Something I Hold Very Dear, is practically criminal). As for favorites, it's usually the last one I've finished but I do remember especially liking Feet of Clay as well as Guards! Guards!

My 'collection' is so far just Art of Discworld and the map. I only own a hard copy of Jingo (oh and also the Maurice book about the rats), the rest are digital audiobooks. Someday.

As far as adaptations go, I've seen Going Postal (yes, before reading the book -.-) and loved it. I really really hope they make a Watch series, or even just one of the books (but of course I'd prefer all the books). Adaptations must be so tricky to cast because every reader has their own picture in their head of what the characters look like... even if the author's pretty liberal with the details. I don't envy them their jobs— not only that, they have to find people who can act! (At least, that's the hope.)

Anybody have a fantasy cast, for the Watch or for something that's already been done but badly?

Thalia likes this.
  4. Thalia

Thalia Scratilicious

Unseen academic
    Asfjjjgdsjgshjzaagjrdb... I LOVE YOU, GUYS!!!!! But you already know that ;) anyyyywaaaay, omg, Blix, I agree with everything you've said :) However, I think I should try and impose some sort of structure on my post, so I'll go on answer my own questions :)

First of all WOW! I'd love to see your collection! I have all the books, print or ebooks on my Kindle, then The art of the Discworld, Nanny Ogg's cookbook, some of the plays and audio books... did I miss something? Dunno. Will update if/when I remember xD I've been eyeing the board games for ages, but shipping to my little country is quite expensive. Hopefully, they will appear somewhere near me or I'll buy them the next time I visit the UK (wishful thinking to the power of million xP).

It's pretty obvious who my favourite charrie is *sideeyes Margo* my tiny, pink-jumper-wearing, power-hungry, motherly, but extremely dangerous Black ribboner <3 tbh, it's hard to make a list of the characters I love the most. Sam & Sybil Vimes, Granny Weatherwax, Susan, Otto, Angua, Vetinari, Moist, Adora... they are all brilliantly written, well rounded characters I adore. One of the features of Pterry's writing that I cherish the most is his ability to write strong, independent, realistic (as realistic as anything can be on the Discworld, lbr) female characters. There are countless blogs on tumblr where fans complain about misogyny in their favourite fantasy fandoms and I'm like well, that ain't the case here, nope. Try reading Discworld and see what fantasy books should be, tyvm.

And agreed, I'd have to say that Carcer is my least favourite character, but just because the things he does, not due to the way he's written. I'm also not really fond of the Auditors (although the character development and thought process of Myria LeJean in Thief of Time are remarkably well-written. She's the only Auditor I like.).

Almost 2 years ago I wrote a review of Going Postal for a course in film studies. (I just may have bragged about it a bit xD) I'd say it's my favourite film of the three. Certain changes had to be made, but I must say that it is a really good adaptation. They managed to show the gist, the spirit of the novel and the characters remarkably well. My biggest issue is with that Angua scene, because it's unforgivably ooc for her to transform in public. The actress, however, is amazing, exactly how I imagined her. Speaking of actors, Richard Coyle IS Moist. Utter perfection. Adora, Vetinari, Gilt were all spot on. Damn, I even forgive Vetinari for being blonde. Charles Dance nailed it! I'm also really fond of Hogfather! Again, perfect casting, funny and intelligent dialogues (in most cases taken directly from the book) and a good film, given the budget. I also don't think CoM/LF was a particularly successful adaptation. While I love David Jason, I think he would've made a nice Dean, or even the Bursar, but not Rincewind. David Tennant is maybe a bit closer to my vision of Rincewind. The weakest of the three films, yet I was happy to see another adaptation. Generally, although I started reading the novels in order of publishing (I started with Colour of Magic when I was... hmm... 10, I guess), from this perspective, I wouldn't recommend it to new readers. I'd suggest starting with Wyrd Sisters or Guards! Guards! and reading CoM a bit later. Exactly the way you did it, Levi! :)

It's hard to pick my favourite book, but it would probably be Witches Abroad... Oh, my... I also LOVE the Watch books... I can't even answer my own questions properly xD

Btw, dunno if you guys have seen the animated series (Wyrd Sisters and Soul Music; think they're still available on youtube), but they're also really good. They basically adapted it line-by-line from the novels, which is easier done with animated films, so the chances of failure were rather low xD

I really hope we'll see The Watch TV series, though it's been awhile since it was announced. There was also talk about another movie, Unseen Academicals (I was soooo excited, cause Margo's there! Only in like 3 scenes, but she's there xD), but I don't think that one's happening. Ooooooooh, that's brilliant!!!!! :D I'd love to see the Feegles movie :) the fact that R. Pratchett is involved with production makes me really happy! :D she promised to keep Pterry's legacy and take care of the Disc... weeeeell, only time will tell...

Now, when it comes to my dream cast, hmmm... I loved Susan and the whole cast of Going Postal. Charles Dance is THE perfect Vetinari and I'd love to see him in that role again :D like I've said, maybe D. Tennant would make a nice Rincewind. Also, I'd love to see Maggie Smith & Miriam Margoyles as the witches. Angua was pretty good in Going Postal, though she would stay in character in my adaptation xP ;) Vimes is particularly hard to cast. Personally, I imagine him as a younger, British version of Clint Eastwood. However, I love your playby choice, Levi <3 he could totally pull Vimes off =) oh and I think that girl, Dottie from Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries would make a great Glenda in Unseen Academicals. When it comes to Margo, I can't really imagine the actress who'd embody my vision of her. I've seen people suggest Helena Bonham Carter, which almost works for me, but still isn't perfect.

Oh, Levi, do let us know what you thought about the other Watch books. :D Night Watch is really, really good... oh, who am I kidding??? Whenever there's Sam Vimes in a book, the book is awesome! :D

(Wow, this is my longest post ever, I've been typing it since last night xD and there are probably a million typos, since I'm on my phone xD)

5. HighSidhe

HighSidhe Guest

Yeeeeeeees all the Discworld love!

I tend to stick around Ankh-Morpork. I'll read Rincewind's adventures around Discworld, but really, apart from him, I mostly just read the Watch books and Moist's series. I *have* read about the Witches, and while there are books that I enjoy, the ones centered in Ankh-Morpork tend to appeal a little more. I love reading about Vimes though, and the trilogy about Moist is probably my favorite books in the series. As far as movies go, I have seen all of the live-action movies. I could never understand why they didn't just cast the wimpy wizard in the Hogfather as Rincewind. He acted the part, and he looked the part too so why??? Anyway, my favorite of the movies is definitely Going Postal. There's just something about con artists... Charles Dance absolutely nails his role as Vetinari, and I doubt I will ever see anyone as really embodying the role the way he does. It's so bad that everytime I get a physical description of Vetinari that I have to remind myself that he's not actually a blonde. I frickin' love Susan though and I have serious aspirations of cosplaying her someday complete with freaky handprints/glowing eyes and wielding a poker. She is the ultimate governess.

My favorite character is Vetinari. Big surprise there. Not only does he amuse the hell out of me with some of the things that he does, but he's so goddamn badass and nobody even suspects. Other characters include Carrot, who is just so damn likable it's not even funny, Vimes embodying the spirit of hard-bitten cops everywhere and managing not to come off as an asshole while doing so, Teatime who is so deliciously creepy, Susan who has the epicest Look ever, and of course Rincewind and Twoflower. Cruel and Unusual Geography, what more do you need to know. One of my least favorite characters would probably be Tiffany. I can't really explain why but there's just something about her that makes me grind my teeth.

Obviously I would like to see all of the Discworld characters in Pandora. Mostly I just want to see Cohen the Barbarian. Pandora wouldn't know what to do with him, running around killing all the dragons, raiding temples and challenging gods on their own turf.

I would love to see a Watch series. I adore cop shows like that, and the fact that it would be Vimes would just make it even better.

Thalia likes this.
  6. Thalia

Thalia Scratilicious

Unseen academic
    SPOILERS ahead if you haven't read the last book,

Spoiler

#6 Thalia, Jan 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2017