By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box.
Only the box is a world of its own.
We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.
Want to add a quote? Submit them here!
  1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The new season is here and there's a whole new world to explore!
    Check out the Season Updates HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Pandora is broken.
    Read More Here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Application Division is seeking new mods.
    Click here for more information!

Don't Freeze

Discussion in 'Pandora, Year 1 - 7' started by Gerold Hirschberg, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Gerold Hirschberg

Gerold Hirschberg Inglourious Basterds

Ex-Guerrilla Warrior/Hunter
    Race:
    Human and Proud!
    December 5, Year 7

[​IMG]

There were officially eight days left until Hanukkah started, and yet, Gerold felt as though the light had already started to glow much earlier. The first of the two reasons why was a simple one—no more Saviors. Whatever work they had originally accomplished, whatever growth they had helped to create…well, it didn't seem to matter so much any more. He'd never been able to speak to that one kid about it, and even if it was only because he sat on his hands or else felt purely intimidated the entire way, he wasn't about to play the 'What Might Have Been' game with those fucking clowns.

No, it just might be time to focus on more immediate things, such as...the second reason his world wasn't as dark, with or without Smitts' disappearance. That was a possible direct line to somebody who was growing into a new leader. Somebody who could be two hundred percent more welcoming to everyone. Somebody who had the heart not to swing a weapon all the time, and so drive a great deal of people away in the process.

Someone like...a king.

Whether or not Ezekiel would turn out to be a good king—or Censor, as his official title now stood—would have to be something that he, Gerold Hirschberg, might just have to determine entirely on his own today. It wasn't a meeting that he felt perfectly ready for, of course, but a part of him would still have to try. His future, as well as that of at least one other, would most likely have to depend upon this.

And so, once he had traded around for an unopened bottle of white wine and some cinnamon cake, he took up these provisions and then began to look through a few tunnels for either a tall artistic man dressed in black; a tiger that possessed both eyes; or both traveling along together. With patience and a clear head, he hoped he might come across them up here.

[ @King Ezekiel ]
    ============================================​

words: 334
    mood: Here goes nothin'...:cool:

King Ezekiel likes this.
  2. King Ezekiel

King Ezekiel The Walking Dead

King of Cascade Bay
    Race:
    Wizard(ish). Werelion(ish).
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link

[​IMG]

Ezekiel strode through the narrow, shadowy tunnel, his woollen jacket and tactical pants taking the edge off the bitter chill. He had left his sword cane securely locked up back in his accommodation, as he required the assistance of both of his hands.

His other weapon, nay, his companion, was enjoying a brief respite in her spacious enclosure at the Kingdom, but she would return to Morhall with him this night. He would not dream of leaving her in the zoo permanently after she had experienced freedom.

Smiling faintly at the thought of his loyal pet, he continued down the winding tunnel, carrying a thin wooden model of a Christmas tree with him, his arms aching from its surprising weight. It was taller than him, its conical head threatening to rake the low ceiling. The festive tree was a prop in a play that the good king and a number of his subjects were planning to perform to the children of Morhall. Their dress rehearsals were to commence tomorrow morn.

As he navigated his way around a sharp corner in the tunnel, he almost skewered a raven haired gentleman on the edge of the Christmas tree’s pointed skirt. Lo! That would not have been in the spirit of this joyous and generous season!

“My apologies indeed!” Ezekiel stepped back from the gentleman with the soft brow and rounded cheeks. “I trust that I did not prick you with my prop?”

Template thanks to Steel.

Gerold Hirschberg likes this.
  3. Gerold Hirschberg

Race:
    Human and Proud!
    [ @King Ezekiel ]

The last thing he remembered when turning a particular corner in this giant maze was his mental fog. One that he'd been forced to wrestle with for a few years before his friend's surprise arrival, of course, and would probably have to deal with every winter hereafter.

Once he almost went headlong into the person he'd hoped to see, never mind into a brightly-colored wooden piece of holiday scenery as well, Gerold figured it would be more than a good idea to give the older guy a wider path to wherever he was headed.

No. No, uh...think that one's on me. Ya know, considerin' I wasn't exactly watching that time.

Having made his little confession on the matter, he decided to gather a little bit of info on this guy's activities next, if only to try and break the ice between them.

So…is that the tree we're supposed to use for the big party later? Or are we getting a free show instead?

==============================================​

words: 163
    mood: Watchful? Nervous? IDK, just don't like wild animals running loose! :oops:

King Ezekiel likes this.
  4. King Ezekiel

King of Cascade Bay
    Race:
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link

[​IMG]

Ezekiel was impressed with how the young gentleman took responsibility, as most people in his situation would’ve been happy to blame him. Very noble indeed.

“Let us both take equal accountability,” the wise king advised him, his voice warm and mellow.

He grew still more impressed when the gentleman asked him a question. Most people would have continued on their own way, their simple exchange banished to the back of their mind.

“Correct,” he answered him. “We are holding a show, not today, not tomorrow, not the day that follows afterwards, but next week. Might you have a young sibling or child? The Youths of Morhall would particularly enjoy our humble little play.”

Ezekiel paused to shift the wooden model in his arms, preparing to carry on down the darkened passageway. He hoped that the gentleman would join him.

“Would you feel insulted if I were to confess that your name evades my mind?”

5. Gerold Hirschberg

Race:
    Human and Proud!
    'Siblings'. Right. If only that were so, and he'd managed to come along with Hanna and Samuel some time before the war. It might have made everything a little more like home and a little less...crazy.

Just me, sir. Afraid I'm more or less an orphan up here.

Marriage and kids had also been yanked right out of his hands as soon as he'd been brought here, so there wasn't a single thing to go on where family was concerned. Home was pretty much an eternity away, unfortunately, so he would have to be honest about it before someone else decided to say so.

Still, maybe I could uh, come by and watch a performance?

At the same time, he could also use a little distraction from this 'giant elephant in the room', so to speak. Even if it turned out to be a slapstick comedy, or else a gruesome murder drama. Hell, he could use all of the above, if such things were possible in the near future.

Oh, and no, that wouldn't bother me at all. The name's Gerold, sir,” he added quickly, just in case this gentleman had a lot to do and a short time to do it. Best to keep his attention while he could.

Gerold Hirschberg, previously of the U.S. Army in the European theater.

=================================

words: 221
    mood: Question and answer time…?? :cool:

King Ezekiel likes this.
  6. King Ezekiel

King of Cascade Bay
    Race:
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link

[​IMG]

“I’m sorry to hear that you are on your own,” Ezekiel informed him. “You must have a number of allies and friends here at the least?”

Ezekiel reflected on his own arrival in this fantastic realm. It had been fortunate indeed that Shiva had accompanied him, providing a link to his world before and after the black, malignant storm clouds had slithered across the sky. There were others from that land in Pandora, but aside from Beth, they did not appear interested in keeping a correspondence with him. He strove not to feel disappointed by their rejection.

He grinned broadly, pleased that the young man, this Gerold Hirschberg, was still interested in a showing of their play. “Excellent! I will make sure to seat you with other adults, lest the children deafen you with their tumultuous participation!”

Ezekiel paused to consider another valuable piece of information from young Gerold, adjusting the wooden model in his aching arms. “I don’t quite follow… You’re an accomplished thespian in your own right? Then you must join my theater group!”

He carried on down the narrow tunnel gaily, which flared out into a larger chamber with a high ceiling of rock. At the front, the earthen floor rose sharply, forming a natural stage of generous dimensions. A herd of wooden chairs had already been set up in neat rows, a letter of the alphabet tacked to each of their backs.

7. Gerold Hirschberg

Race:
    Human and Proud!
    "I'm working on it," Gerold confessed in a lowered tone. For one, he still felt a little on guard even with no sign of the Saviors around. Survival, therefore, demanded that he give them no 'juicy tidbits' of information to take back to their leaders, as loose lips and sinking ships had the tendency to go together.

I do have some promising leads, though. Strong, clever, and hopefully a little more level-headed than most.

He seriously had to start jogging to keep up with this man, even if he did look to be 'aging well'. Wow. Whichever world Pandora had decided to snatch him up from, he must have done a shipload of running. Did that mean his people back home might have had to–

Oh.

Once he'd followed Ezekiel into a much wider space, he suddenly realized his little 'play' on words.

Whoops. What I meant to say was, that's the 'theater', as in the 'world war battlefield'.

At least he had the guts to admit this mistake in time, before he signed himself up for something he might not be entirely good at. Like...the time he kinda-sorta-didn't just wound that runaway prisoner like he was supposed to, but instead shot him dead so that he wouldn't be able to be interrogated like Raine wanted. Definitely not the kind of mistake he wanted to repeat.

But you know, it might not be a total loss without me. Are you folks planning a cast party for afterward?

============================================​

words: 247
    mood: Work on your vocabulary, dummy!
    tag: @King Ezekiel

King Ezekiel likes this.
  8. King Ezekiel

King of Cascade Bay
    Race:
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link

[​IMG]

He made a sound of both interest and mild amusement at young Gerold’s description. “Is this a fair maiden that you are hoping to court? I wish you the best of luck. Such gentle creatures are more fickle and mysterious than this realm and its gods!”

Ezekiel knew first-hand the woes and tribulations of trying to court a fair maiden! He had been left so pained by his experiences with women that he rarely sought out their companionship. Shiva had become the only lady in his life these days.

He chuckled mellowly at young Gerold’s explanation, offering him an apologetic dip of his dreadlocks crowned head. “I was not astute enough to catch your clever wordplay. Battlefield? Your home world was full of war and conflict, young Hirschberg?”

It did not sound dissimilar to his own, the war with the tyrant, Negan, and his band of knaves weighing heavily on his mind. Ezekiel still often wondered how his knight, Richard, and the rest of the Kingdom were faring without them. Or had time frozen there since he’d been summoned to this fantastic land? He tried to avoid thinking too much on the subject, lest the logics drive him mad.

Ezekiel ascended the natural stage and set down his wooden model, where it would not dare threaten to skewer anybody in the chest again.

“A cast party?” he turned, smiling to young Gerold. “That’s a splendid idea! What better way to honor the cast’s hard work than with a celebration!” Ezekiel proceeded to cuff him on the shoulder good-naturedly. “Unfortunately, I do not have the time to arrange such a party. Might you have some to spare instead? I would compensate you generously.”

9. Gerold Hirschberg

Race:
    Human and Proud!

Observation number one was that this 'King' remained in perfect health, at least as far as running from danger went. He would be sure to keep up with this one as best he could, should any further trouble come along from outside Morhall's doors.

Observation number two, however, went as follows—Ezekiel was definitely the one to shoot the breeze with if ever his usual time alone became a bit too isolated. Sort of like Utivich had been when he was here, only minus the mood swings. Still, so far so good.

...It's complicated, sir...

Back to the topics at hand, though. He wasn't quite sure how to explain his continued lack of a bride girlfriend to this older gentleman, other than by using those two little words as his official explanation. On the one side, there was a large assortment of young women living in Pandora, and he kinda sorta had the feeling that maybe a few would want to seek some kind of romance later on.

On the other hand, it was pretty much a done deal as far as his culture's rules of courtship went: a Jewish woman could marry just about any man and still pass her faith along to her children, while a Jewish man was required to, for lack of a better analogy, 'stay in his own lane'. And so, even if such a woman was out there waiting to meet him, Gerold had zero ideas about how, when, or even if he would try and meet her.

...But yes, I've made some friends with at least one soldier up here, and also a few superheroes in other places. If there's one thing being in a war taught me, it's that you never go into battle—or any open spaces, for that matter—by yourself.

He could handle a little party planning, though. There wouldn't be any enemy soldiers with loaded weapons waiting to strike him backstage, and he could do more than his fair share of work to guarantee that the players had a good time after their final curtain call.

Hey, if it's in a week, I know I can get something arranged,” he announced, feeling some of his old confidence come back. “You folks can get started with this, actually, after you practice for the day...

It was here that he presented the cake and wine with a flourish, setting them down in a place of honor upon a long table. He would be sure to give Ian and Yolanda an extra thank-you note when this was over, provided that his baking skills didn't produce anything that tasted like concrete.

...I just...think I should ask a quick question here, ya know...before I get started...

Taking a deep breath inward, he looked back cautiously at Ezekiel before choosing his next words carefully:

...Are the Saviors really gone?

words: 475
    mood: Hopeful…??

King Ezekiel likes this.
  10. King Ezekiel

King of Cascade Bay
    Race:
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link

[​IMG]

Ezekiel uttered another low sound of amusement, this one more of sympathy than a gossip’s sense of interest. “Please forgive my potentially sexist comment, but if you were to look up the word complicated in the dictionary, I am sure you would find a picture of a fair maiden.”

He smiled broadly at young Gerold, a melancholy at the corners of his lips. “This realm possesses a myriad of mysteries and marvels, most of them absent from my own. They share the greatest marvel, the greatest mystery in common… Women.

And that was no exaggeration. Ezekiel even believed that he understood female animals better than any female human. Nay, he would save his heart the pain by not actively seeking out female companionship. Not to mention, he had been transported from his realm when his friendship with the irradiant Michonne was taking an extraordinary turn. He would remain loyal.

The unveiling of the cake and wine banished such complicated contemplations to the back of his mind. His smile grew broader yet, filling his eyes with a touched light.

“Gerold Hirschberg! What a kind gesture indeed!” he proclaimed tumultuously, proceeding to clap him on the shoulder with one gloved hand. “I must insist that you sup with us this night.”

Ezekiel’s sunny disposition faded a little at the mention of the tyrant’s group, the smile dwindling at the corners of his mouth like a stick of dynamite lit at both ends, but he would not explode with words, with excuses and protests and accusations. Nay, he would choose his words carefully, answer young Gerold’s question honestly, avoiding no unsavory detail.

“I did a questionable thing,” Ezekiel admitted, his voice solemn and quiet. “Following an incident with one of those scoundrels, I called upon their new leader with the intention of speaking to him privately, going behind the backs of my fellow leaders of Morhall. I asked Bellamy Blake of the New Saviors to disband his rascals, or alternatively, leave our community. He refused to make a decision at first, but after some mild persuasion on my part, no bloodshed, only trickery, he chose to eject the Saviors from Morhall.”

11. Gerold Hirschberg

Race:
    Human and Proud!
    Whatever happy little meetings he'd hoped to share with this official, or else plan out completely from scratch, well...they all seemed to slowly dissolve once he listened to the man's shocking confession. One which he hadn't really expected to hear at all, considering the Council more or less had relied upon each other's better judgment in making important decisions.

All, unfortunately, but this one.

"..."

A slew of words and sentences, half of them sounding unnerved and the rest just plain fuckin' enraged, almost succeeded in frying away what was left of his calm feelings.

What on earth was this King thinking? What would happen to Morhall now? Had he really thought this through before speaking up, lashing out, et cetera? Would the Saviors come back to lash out at them, and ten times worse no less? Would any of them come seeking revenge while they slept...or worse, wait out the night on purpose so that they could attack everyone during the day?

He could have said all of this and more, because really, that would have been how he might have reacted if somebody like Donowitz had told him he wasn't going to trust Raine's authority any longer, and instead give out the marching orders himself.

Instead, he made doubly sure that he didn't spit anything out past a few well-chosen words:

"...Why? Why the hell would they cause trouble for us first, and then get pissed off when we--you--objected?"

@King Ezekiel

King Ezekiel likes this.
  12. King Ezekiel

King of Cascade Bay
    Race:
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link

[​IMG]

Gerold’s voice was full of heat, his question as sharp as a sword.

Ezekiel endeavored to assuage his anger by telling him a little of his past: “The original Saviors and their former leader come from my home realm. They were little more than a band of scoundrels, using bloodshed and murder to terrorize my community as well as a myriad of others into surrendering precious resources to them. We were preparing to wage war against these knaves before I found myself in this marvellous land.”

He settled down on a chair primly, gesturing at the young man to join him. “I was more than willing to give the New Saviors of Morhall the benefit of the doubt, but time and time again, I heard of incidences where a member of the group had assaulted one of our own. Though Bellamy had replaced the tyrant, Negan, I felt that the fundamental nature of the group, that of the scorpion ready to strike with its wicked tail, had not changed one bit.”

Could not change one bit.

“That is why I did not discuss the issue with the other leaders of Morhall, nor even the whole breadth of the community. I believed that none knew them as well as I did and thus would not endorse the most suitable course of action… That of disbandment or banishment.”

He paused a moment, turning his obsidian pools dark eyes upon Gerold. “Do not hold back what you wish to say. You are more than welcome to call me an arrogant fool, too bitter and bias to have made such an important decision on my own. I will not begrudge you your honesty.”

13. Gerold Hirschberg

Race:
    Human and Proud!
    To think, he'd originally come to Morhall to escape war. The war caused by and for that Ravenna, the war he should have been able to leave behind him at home and couldn't, the warring he'd still carried around inside his mind as soon as Pandora took him, and the bloody mess that followed...all of these should have stayed in their respective spots, be they further down in the other towns or in another world entirely.

Unfortunately, such peace just couldn't last, because here he was having to face yet another period of conflict. Conflict that at least one party might have accidentally created...or else strangely engineered in order to prove that their side was greater than the other. Stronger. Smarter. Kinder. The list of comparative words could have gone on forever and a day, if he'd been nudged into this long enough.

...I think…

Too bad the defensive side of his mindset warned him that he might not have forever. Not this time.

...I think we need to be sure that the scorpion doesn't try and sting us any further...

That same part caught on to Ezekiel's allegory and held on with both hands, almost as though this idea was a lifeline and himself a drowning man in the middle of a dark ocean.

...I mean, we're gonna need security updates. Patrols, surveillance, more guards posted at the gates...all that jazz. They can't be allowed to harm this town any further, can they?

Or maybe he'd turned back into some scared kid, and needed an older person to check for the monsters under the bed. Maybe even one with some sharp-toothed back-up, if that made the slightest bit of sense. Either way, though...no matter who or what these Saviors had originally tried to be, he couldn't waste any more time fretting over them as a 'lost cause'.

Instead, it was time to focus on the people in Morhall who'd stayed behind, and start praying like crazy that he would be able to help keep an eye on all of them.

Or...or harm you?

words: 344

mood: Did someone walk over my grave…??

King Ezekiel likes this.
  14. King Ezekiel

King of Cascade Bay
    Race:
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link

[​IMG]

Ezekiel smiled at young Gerold’s choice of words, pleased that his scorpion allegory had rubbed off on him. He was doubly pleased that the gentleman did not react with strong feeling towards his explanation, but provided suggestions on improving their security.

“Excellent ideas,” the good king praised him. “Might I suggest discussing the subject in depth with Riza Hawkeye and Roy Mustang? Defense is their speciality, particularly that of the sharp tongued Mustang. I am sure they would appreciate these kinds of contributions.”

Ezekiel paused to consider his words, realizing that young Gerold might think that he was attempting to dismiss him… That he was attempting to “fob him off” to another party, which was not his intention. He welcomed this discussion with wide open arms.

“Or alternatively, I could relay your points to them,” he decided to add respectfully. “The only issue that I anticipate with increasing our number of guards and patrols is finding more people to recruit to these positions. Sadly, we are only a small community.”

Furrowing his brow ponderously, he tilted his head and regarded the astute gentleman with renewed interest. “What is your current role or roles in our tiny kingdom?”

15. Gerold Hirschberg

Race:
    Human and Proud!
    Yeah...telling Roy and Riza would probably be a really great idea...

Tell. Yeah, either this Ezekiel would have to spill his guts to the rest of the Council, or maybe he himself would. Anything to help this town move a bit forward, and forge a few new bonds in the process.

...I mean, I'm not saying I don't trust you, because hopefully, we both know by now that I do...

Still, even after Zeke's admission of 'wrongdoing', he didn't feel all that upset. Just...more pissed off at that Negan's gang for forcing the older man's hand, and less annoyed about everything else.

...All I'm saying is, maybe, we start trusting everybody else in this giant bunker?

Hell, they could probably get raided tomorrow, and he still wouldn't blame this all on Zeke alone. Maybe time and experience had cooled his head a little since the Second War?

And I'm a hunter, sir...but only for the small, eatable animals,” he would be sure to add, not wanting this man to start thinking he would try aiming any weapons at his beloved tiger(!). Collecting fur, after all, wouldn't be part of his survival plans anytime soon.

Kosher only, if ya know what I mean. As for invaders...I can hunt them too, but only if they try to strike us first.

And lest he forget...speaking of war, he would let this sentence trail off naturally into silence. Not exactly giving too much away about his past 'line of work', but also not keeping it entirely in the dark, either.

Some actions, after all, might be one hundred percent necessary when faced with one's own murder.

Do you need me to patrol tonight, Sir…?

[ @King Ezekiel :: Posting in Prim's thread tonight, too. Sorry that work and health matters haven't gone so well lately. :( ]

King Ezekiel likes this.
  16. King Ezekiel

King of Cascade Bay
    Race:
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    He was relieved indeed to hear that Gerold only hunted animals with the purpose of consuming them in mind. Being a zookeeper and staunch wildlife conservationist, Ezekiel felt very strongly against those who derived entertainment from killing animals, or earned money by selling their pelts, body parts and organs. Speaking of his job and hobby…

Ezekiel consulted the rustic grandfather clock ticking away in a corner of the earthen room, observing that he was expected at the zoo soon. He would have to find a way to gently steer his insightful discussion with Gerold to a neat and satisfactory conclusion.

Clutching at his swordstick, he smiled and nodded approvingly, pleased to hear that Gerold only “hunted” people when they “hunted” them first. Ezekiel would much rather live in peace and harmony, but he was no “pushover” if anybody tried to steal that peace and harmony from him.

In his home realm, he had made the mistake of allowing Negan and his band of knaves to subjugate his community. He had witnessed firsthand why one had to stand up and fight. Ezekiel felt that he had redeemed himself by driving the New Saviors out of Morhall.

“Only if you do not have any plans this night,” he answered him. “I reviewed the rota this morn. We have the minimum number of guards on duty, but one or two more is welcome in these unsettled post Savior days. I would personally assist, but I am expected at my kingdom away from my kingdom. One of the elephants is expected to give birth to twins any time now. That is a rare occurrence in such animals. We are anticipating complications.”

Ezekiel prepared to move towards the doorway, pausing to look back at Gerold. “Is there more you wish to say? You are welcome to join me at the Kingdom.”