By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box.
Only the box is a world of its own.
We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.
Want to add a quote? Submit them here!
  1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Autumn is here!
    Check out the Season Updates HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Have a nice day, Guest!
    Dismiss Notice

Private Everywhere There's a Tear to Shed

Discussion in 'Dread Wastes' started by Gamora, Nov 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Gamora

Gamora Marvel Universe

Race:
    Zehoberei
    [​IMG]
    @Nebula | Pre-Dawn Hours | November 01, Year 108
    Gamora trudged along back into the miserable wasteland that she had first arrived in. Her communicator wasn't much use here, but while she had still been at the border of Centria, near Yondu's ship, she had searched for any sign of someone else they knew. She knew. Yondu didn't seem to know most of them here. His memory was from before he had known about Peter's friends. On a scrap of paper, she had drawn out a few notes of things she had been able to learn including directions and anything she thought she might need to remember. She didn't trust it here. It seemed unreal and as if she might awaken to it being a dream. In the meantime, she had to see if she could find out any way to get help back to her friends, to find out if Peter was... alive.

It had been a couple of months in this place, and it still wasn't any easier to think about.

This time she wandered across the dry wilderness with some added weight of some water in a few different canteens and jugs she had managed to procure. She didn't want to die out here. The rest she could make do with, but like most other mortal beings, she had to drink.

She sat down in a recess near a small, scrubby plant that grew up, determined, out of the ground. She bent her knees and rested her elbows upon them. She took out the small drinking vessel that she poured manageable amounts of water into and unscrewed the cap. She began to take ragged, deep swallows of the water as she felt her lungs working to catch up with the prolonged exertion of trying to make sense of being out in the middle of nowhere. She pushed her hair back from her face, feeling it tug away from sticky sweat.

It was almost peaceful, for a little while. Then she heard something. She twitched just a little, but she didn't make any abrupt movements. She waited and listened. She knew someone was walking, softly but not softly enough, up behind her. She waited for the bandit to make himself known.

"Hey girlie," the man greeted her, less than charmingly. She looked up at him with a sharp, dangerous scowl. At least it was some kind of fair warning. He seemed to take it as a sign of vulnerability, but she knew better. Only, her eyes moved past him and there were two others with him, both covered in clothing that protected them from the cool, empty night. One of them appeared to be a woman while the other was just big, and she couldn't make a quick identification. It might be a little trickier, depending on what she was dealing with. "I see you got some water and a pack there. You feel like sharing your picnic?"

Gamora cleared her throat and spoke clearly.

"If you are in need of some supplies, I'm sure we can come to an agreement," she said. She was testing them, though she could tell from the look in the man's eyes and the way his companions flanked him that they were not likely to be looking for a fair trade or legitimate assistance. She braced herself to stand as her off-hand began, as deftly as she could, drawing a small tagger from beneath a strap of her boot. She kept the movements small, slow.

"Oh, so you're gonna be stingy. Make us work for it," the bandit replied.

Gamora moved with as fluid a motion as she could with her supplies still strapped to her back. She tossed her head just a little to get her hair out of the way. She turned to face him. She was just a bit taller than the man in front, but that didn't make her underestimate his strength or his ruthlessness. Sometimes the most vicious criminals and killers were those with insecurities of one kind or another.

"I... really don't have time for this," she informed him, pretty politely, she thought. Then, he lunged for her bag and she saw the other two begin to burst into action. They had some kind of plan.

Nebula likes this.
  2. Nebula

Nebula Guest

Four weeks. Four weeks and three days since she’d heard the news from Quill. About Gamora. About her death at the hands of Thanos. Of everything, of all the times she fantasied about killing her sister, she had never imagined her death at the hands of their father. Their father. The one who always pitted Gamora against her. Who held the other up as a shining example of why she, Nebula, would never match her.

Not being able to face Thanos had been bad enough. Not being able to save Gamora from death by his hand was inexcusable. And he had all of the soul gems, the Infinity Gauntlet. He had won.

And she was stuck in this wasteland, unable to do anything. It made her seethe, furious to her very core. It was ironic, after years of them being rivals, here Nebula was, mourning… mourning what? What never was? Or maybe the woman who’d shown her compassion, after everything.

It was hard to think about, and Nebula tried to drown it out day to day, gathering parts for her ship, trying to fix it with what limited technology lay around here.

A commotion nearby alerted the Luphomoid as she was clearing the never-ending sand from her joints. She sneered at the noise; more bandits. Didn’t they ever learn? She stood up, hands already reaching for her batons, when she heard another voice…a voice that made her falter.

It couldn’t be. This was some sort of trick, designed to lure her in. Was this Thanos’ doing? Even if Pandora was inescapable, she wouldn’t trust him not to send his own special brand of torture here, somehow.

She stepped out from behind from a pile of rocks, just in time to see one of the idiots’ lunge towards a very familiar Zehoberei. She couldn’t deny it; the green skin, the hair, it was Gamora. A sudden protective instinct took over, something new, and she charged, teeth bared, at the one nearest to her sister, striking him repeatedly with her extended batons, enough to send him off balance.

Gamora likes this.
  3. Gamora

Gamora Marvel Universe

Race:
    Zehoberei
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Gamora realized that someone was helping her before she had a chance to figure out who or even what it was. All she knew was that she was grateful. After all, her own family, her friends that were presently lost to her, had come about through something only slightly less noble. With the man who'd lunged for her bag out of the way, she still had the other two who were trying to flank her. She pushed her weight to the left, tackling the smaller one by the waist and rolling with her to see the blue skin and the familiar network of metallic joints.

"Nebula?" she asked at a high pitch, incredulous in spite of the fact that she was trying to subdue someone who suddenly had even less significance to her.

Nebula likes this.
  4. Nebula

Nebula Guest

With one final kick, the thug was thrown across the Wastes. Nebula didn’t even wait to see him land, his presence meaningless as her colourless eyes settled once more on Gamora. There was so much she wanted to say, to ask, but she didn’t know where to start. Well, getting this scum out of the way was their first priority.

Managing to keep her voice steady (even if inside she felt her resolve cracking), she simply said, “Let’s deal with this, then we’ll talk.” She focused on the other man to the side of Gamora and flanked to the side as he lunged at her. The criminals out here were so predictable, full of rage and arrogance. They had no methods to their attacks, which made it all the more satisfying when they realised how futile their efforts were against her. She caught him by the shoulder as he stumbled past her and she delivered a heavy blow to his skull with her elbow.

Gamora likes this.
  5. Gamora

Gamora Marvel Universe

Race:
    Zehoberei
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Gamora heaved for breath a little and nodded, whether or not Nebula saw it. Then, she turned her full attention to the last bandit she had tackled. She looked into the young woman's (she assumed) face and punched her in the soft tissue of her cheek.

"Run if you want to keep your teeth," she growled and shoved her back with a punctuating kick of dust. For a moment, she saw defiance in the girl's eyes, but she gave her a chance to look around at her fallen comrades. Then, she let her go.

Satisfied, Gamora gasped for yet more air and dusted off her clothes a bit. She picked across the dry ground and tried to retrieve her things, particularly eying the water.

Nebula likes this.
  6. Nebula

Nebula Guest

The one she’d caught fell to the ground, unconscious. He wouldn’t be waking up for a while, and not without some memory loss. Nebula turned just in time to see the last bandit scramble back, away from Gamora. Obviously, they’d made the smart decision not to take on both of them at once, now that she was outnumbered.

Fortunately, Nebula still had what little supplies she carried on her. She stepped forward, never taking her eyes off her sister as she attempted to collect her possessions. “You’re alive,” was all she could say. After years of hatred and now weeks of mourning (the only was she knew how), Nebula was at a loss of how to process this.

Gamora likes this.
  7. Gamora

Gamora Marvel Universe

Race:
    Zehoberei
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    When Gamora got to the large container of clean drinking water she had been carrying on her back, she righted it and saw that it had only come partially unscrewed. Some of the water had leaked into the sandy ground, irretrievable, but more than half remained. She sat down on the ground and, with the container righted, finished opening it up to take several deep gulps of the clear, clean, if nearly warm liquid. She gave Nebula a puzzled look. Somehow, seeing her was less shocking than it had been to see Yondu. Maybe it was just the benefit of a few more days.

"I... Yes? Did you think I was dead because you ended up here?" she asked conversationally, tilting her head a bit and trying to follow the train of thought.

Nebula likes this.
  8. Nebula

Nebula Guest

It was then Nebula realised, with horror, the emotion churning away inside her even as her face remained a contrasting mask, as ever, that Gamora didn’t know. She must not have come across Quill yet. Even though the Luphomoid professed to never caring about other’s feelings, the look she’d seen on his face as he’d recalled the facts of that horrific, impossible death, was one she would never forget.

“I saw Quill.” She stated, suddenly unable to keep staring at her sister, as much as she yearned to. “As this is Pandora, he came from a few years into the future, and he…” Nebula stopped; usually, she never had this much trouble with words. Or she didn't usually say so many. “He told me you were dead. Killed by Thanos.” She balled her fists at the last words. Saying it aloud only reignited her fury and her want to have their so-called father here, at her mercy.

Gamora likes this.
  9. Gamora

Gamora Marvel Universe

Race:
    Zehoberei
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Gamora's gut churned. She didn't know what to make of Nebula's words, and she didn't know how to trust them. It hurt to imagine being able to trust it, only to be proven wrong. Where she'd just come from, she had been sure that he was dead. She didn't know what to do with that, and she realized with some dizziness that perhaps the feeling was mutual.

The fact that it was supposedly Thanos that had killed her, in the end, surprised her less no matter how much it terrified her. In the moment, as an abstract, it was frightening, but it was an old, calcified pain. She hung her head.

"Is... he... here?" she asked. Not about Peter, whether that part was clear or not. She didn't know what to say about Peter yet.

Nebula likes this.
  10. Nebula

Nebula Guest

Nebula knew immediately who Gamora meant, just from how she said it. “No.” She replied stonily, now looking into the distance. “When I last saw you, I was on my way to kill him. But I got pulled here instead.”

Her lip twitched, her emotions threatening to spill over. She wanted to apologise, over and over again, for not being there and not being able to save her. It was failure that, even with time, wouldn’t heal. She couldn’t bring herself to say the words, even with Gamora here now. Of everyone, Nebula thought her sister would be the last to ever die at Thanos’ hands. He’d surely have killed her or his other children first, before his golden child.

Gamora likes this.
  11. Gamora

Gamora Marvel Universe

Race:
    Zehoberei
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Gamora shook her head, her dusty hair hanging down and shielding her face a little. It was a relief, mostly, knowing that perhaps this was a world over which Thanos had no control. That seemed like it might be more of a dream than any other aspect of this place yet. Even if she lost everyone else, even if she couldn't believe it until she saw it and was sure about Peter, she and Nebula were here, out of his reach for once. She just didn't know why it felt hollow. It wasn't as if she'd actually felt herself die at his hands. Maybe she'd escaped it, or maybe this was just a stop on a long road to her inevitable end. She swallowed and found her voice.

"I don't know if that's possible," she told her sister, looking up at her with some tenderness in her eyes that she would've been reluctant to let her see once. "I'm... glad something saved you."

Nebula likes this.
  12. Nebula

Nebula Guest

Nebula managed to keep Gamora’s gaze, that sentimentality creeping into her veins and up to what was left of her heart once more. “I wanted to try, no matter the cost.” She flexed her hands, both flesh and metal.

“I failed, Gamora. I failed at saving you, at stopping him.” It was the closest she could come to saying something heartfelt; there was a long road to go before their relationship could be mended, if ever. Thanos and Ronin had seen to it that they be set apart, had filled both of their minds with lies and doubts.

Gamora likes this.
  13. Gamora

Gamora Marvel Universe

Race:
    Zehoberei
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Gamora shook her head and smiled in spite of everything. The smile felt strange, wrong, almost, even to her, but she didn't stop herself. Why should she?

"Except I'm... right here," she said with a weight, regret, resignation, and tiny defiant spark of hope all at once.

Nebula likes this.
  14. Nebula

Nebula Guest

In that moment, as confused as she was at Gamora’s reaction, she didn’t think she’d ever looked at her sister with more respect. To hear all of that…her death at the hands of a father who’d always favoured her but who’d also taken everything from her…and she was smiling.

“…you are.” Nebula responded, “I never…I didn’t think it was possible.” She dared to take a step forward, “I’m…I’m glad you are.”

Gamora likes this.
  15. Gamora

Gamora Marvel Universe

Race:
    Zehoberei
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Gamora looked at Nebula with a lift of her brow ride that wrinkled her forehead with a bit of surprise. Her smile brightened and she took another sip of water as if to mask it, but then she smiled again anyway.

"Really?" she teased very, very gently.

Nebula likes this.
  16. Nebula

Nebula Guest

The Luphomoid was always uncomfortable with gestures of affection, but she picked up on the shift in Gamora voice. “…yes.”

She straightened up, “We should probably move before more of them come this way. ...where are you staying?”

Gamora likes this.
  17. Gamora

Gamora Marvel Universe

Race:
    Zehoberei
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Gamora shrugged a little. Her smile shrank, but she held onto it. She was afraid of what else she might express if she didn't.

"I guess I'm not sure yet," she admitted. "I keep hoping I'll.. wake up where I'm supposed to be."

Nebula likes this.
  18. Nebula

Nebula Guest

So the Zehoberei didn't. Neither did Nebula really. Home had been chained Thanos' side, a throne room, a place she hated, cold and devoid of any comforts (not that she'd ever cared for an easy life.)

"You could come with me...I don't really have anywhere either." This conversation was surreal; had they ever talked about such mudane, normal things before?

Gamora likes this.
  19. Gamora

Gamora Marvel Universe

Race:
    Zehoberei
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Gamora looked at Nebula's dark eyes and her brow ridge furrowed just a little. She shook her head a little, feeling her hair fall off her shoulders.

"How long have you been here?" she asked, trying to decide how worried she should be.

Nebula likes this.
  20. Nebula

Nebula Guest

"Since what they call September...that would be two months." There weren't only Terranians here, but Nebula had learnt that this world had adapted to their calendar. Not that dates mattered to her - it was all the same out here in the Wastes. Days merged into nights, back into days. It was endless.

Gamora likes this.