By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box.
Only the box is a world of its own.
We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.
Want to add a quote? Submit them here!
  1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Summer is here!
    Check out the Season Updates HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Have a nice day, Guest!
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Eye for an Eye, Seed for a Tree

Discussion in 'Crystal Vales' started by Dust, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Dust

Dust Dust: An Elysian Tail

Adventurer
    Race:
    Warmblood
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

June 20th
    @Quirrel

The day was nice enough that Dust should've been suspicious. Nothing dangerous had tried to attack him, and no villagers had found him requesting he fight off some monsters or slavers or anything. Clearly, everything was just holding its breath, waiting for the right time to sucker-punch him.

Once again following nothing but his own random desires, Dust had found himself wandering through the Vales aimlessly. Fidget was much less vocally displeased, preferring it to the desert. It was much more pleasant than having to clean sand off of his hat and cape every few days. They'd even found a few spots that were worth wowing over.

With a rustle of some leaves, Dust pushed aside some bushes, only to stumble across an oddly beautiful little clearing. There was no obvious reasons to why it was so amazing, but the two of them couldn't help but gape slightly at how peaceful it felt.

Curious, they started to head into the clearing, if only to get a better idea of what was causing the feeling. "Why don't we ever find more places like this?" Fidget asked, flapping beside his head.

"We're rarely needed here," Ahrah replied, simply.

#1 Dust, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    Quirrel likes this.
  2. Quirrel

Quirrel Hollow Knight

Explorer
    Race:
    Beetle
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    The day was peaceful enough that Quirrel should have expected it would all come crumbling down. It always happened that way, after all. A peaceful trek through a cave and suddenly he's bound to a nightmare demon, a stroll through Centria and somehow he nearly gets his head shot by a young girl, events of this sort followed him anytime it looked like exploration would go peacefully.

But he was eternally optimistic on the matter. The Vales had yet to hurt him too badly... aside from that time he got attacked for hurting wolves, but he really brought that on himself. And, even if something did go wrong, that would merely bring a little excitement into his life. Novelty kept him going...

His instincts were excellent as always, gut feelings guiding the bug towards point's of interest and interesting animals. Years of experience had given him a good sense for what stones may deserve to be turned over, so to speak. And, as he strode gracefully into a calm clearing, the beetle believed he had been lead right once again. There was even an intriguing looking fellow sharing the same space, one with a tiny orange companion.

"Greetings," he called out to the hatted cat-man politely, raising his free hand to give a lazy wave. "Beautiful place we've found, isn't it?"

Dust likes this.
  3. Dust

Adventurer
    Race:
    Warmblood
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

Fidget had been staring up at the trees, as if the secret to how everything was so nice was above them. So, when the stranger spoke up, she whipped her head around and did as she usually did. "Ah! What is that?!" she cried, pointing directly at Quirrel.

"Someone else walking through the forest, Fidget," Dust replied without skipping a beat, sounding completely unsurprised yet disappointed by her outburst. Given the hat, it was a bit difficult to see when he glanced apologetically at Quirrel, but he made sure to say, "excuse my companion, she's a bit jumpy."

"I'm just being careful," Fidget snapped, "whenever you see something scary, you just have to fight it. I just want a warning for once!" With a soft, "hmmf," to emphasize her point, she crossed her arms defiantly, even as Dust sighed and shook his head.

"Yeah, being politely greeted is so horrifying," Dust deadpanned, "whatever will we do?"

As they bickered, Dust was oblivious to the small sapling that he was a few inches away from trampling.

Quirrel likes this.
  4. Quirrel

Quirrel Hollow Knight

Explorer
    Race:
    Beetle
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    Quirrel was completely nonplussed by the... strange flying fox fairy calling him scary. Not that his expressionless mask gave any indication of his current emotional state. "I find that most individuals get jumpy when bugs of my size are involved," Quirrel remarked back, unconcerned. He let out a small laugh. "It's preferable to the ones who react with violence, at the very least."

What a strange duo this was. The cat-man and Fidget clearly were used to bickering, though it seemed fairly innocuous. Similar to his own interactions with Bill, minus the air of menace every conversation they shared had. "In my experience, the right way to respond to a polite greeting is giving one of your own," the large beetle noted half-jokingly, watching their dialogue with amusement.

Dust likes this.
  5. Dust

Adventurer
    Race:
    Warmblood
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

"Still, it wasn't the most polite greeting," Dust replied, glancing at Fidget reproachfully. At least most other things were immediately violent before she started yelling.

With a groan, Fidget seemed to go slightly limp in the air. "Alright, alright, I'm sorry," she muttered, sounding an awful lot like a child being told off by a parent. Which, given what they knew about his origins, was a little strange.

When Quirrel pointed out that they hadn't introduced themselves, Dust's ears flattened slightly in embarrassment. "Ah, right," he mumbled, "well, it's nice to meet you. I'm Dust, and this is my friend, Fidget."

Quirrel likes this.
  6. Quirrel

Quirrel Hollow Knight

Explorer
    Race:
    Beetle
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    Quite the pair this two made! Quirrel didn't frequently run into any duos on the road, but they definitely made things more lively than a single individual. "Fidget... What an appropriate name," the beetle remarked casually, commenting on the behavior displayed thus far. "Is Dust as fitting, I wonder."

"Ah, forgive me," he hastily corrected himself. "Sometimes I let my thoughts get ahead of my manners. My own name is Quirrel. I'm an explorer, scholar, and, most noticeably, a beetle." He nodded his head downwards, an incredibly small bow. "It's a pleasure to make your acquaintances."

Dust likes this.
  7. Dust

Adventurer
    Race:
    Warmblood
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

"Yeah, it defin- hey! What's that supposed to mean?!" Fidget demanded once Quirrel's words caught up with her. It was unfortunate that Dust's hat covered his rolling eyes, since it wasn't nearly as effective without the visual.

Quirrel's question caused Dust to fidget himself. "I suppose it would depend on what language you're using," he hedged. After Ahrah had explained where his name came from, it was slightly uncomfortable; both because Sen-Mithrarin just seemed too grandiose for him, and because it came with such loaded connotations of having a purpose he couldn't serve in Pandora.

The following introduction made Dust wonder if he was supposed to elaborate on his purpose out in the woods as well. "A pleasure," he replied, "we are also explorers, though not scholars."

"We wouldn't have to explore if we just picked a place and stayed there," Fidget complained.

"Fidget, you're the one who always insists on leaving as soon as we see humans."

"They're so hairless! It's so wrong!"

Quirrel likes this.
  8. Quirrel

Quirrel Hollow Knight

Explorer
    Race:
    Beetle
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    "It means whatever you want it to mean, really," Quirrel replied, giving a complete non-answer. He couldn't help being annoyingly obfuscating with his wording, even now. Really, though, he didn't want to continue down this topic after noticing the slight discomfort Dust was displaying. Not everyone had good history to their name, after all.

Explorers, eh? They definitely seemed the type. Not the sort of beings that would fit in a community for long, though probably not as badly as Quirrel himself would fit. Non-humans didn't have a major stigma against them, but when you looked like a giant beetle it was natural to elicit fear.

And they seemed to have interesting views on humans, or at least Fidget did. "In my eyes, there is an entirely different set of qualities that make them feel wrong. Fleshy skin, skeletons instead of shells, faces... They're not what I'm used to," he admitted, looking up towards the sky for a moment. "But you get used to it after a year or so. The real question is if they get used to you. They're just like any bug or beast, really, if you don't get stuck on how they look."

Dust likes this.
  9. Dust

Adventurer
    Race:
    Warmblood
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

Dust glanced down at Ahrah at Quirrel's reply. It seemed like the kind of answer the sword would give. Still, at least he wasn't pressing for answers, so he just gave a little shrug.

"Yes, the fact that this place is mostly humans has been rather difficult for us to adjust to," Dust said, "I've befriended a few of them, but most seem to regard me as more of a novelty than anything else."

"At least you don't have tiny, little humans, trying to grab you with their tiny, little human hands!" Fidget interjected, "Ugh, I can still see them trying to grab me when I close my eyes!"

"It's not their fault you're adorable," Dust cooed sarcastically. As usual when he started this old joke, she quickly huffed and bared her teeth, as if he was intimidated in the slightest.

Without warning, Dust took one step in the wrong spot, and Ahrah suddenly spoke up. "Dust, be careful, I feel that something powerful has been disturbed. Already, someone is heading in our direction."

Quirrel likes this.
  10. Quirrel

Quirrel Hollow Knight

Explorer
    Race:
    Beetle
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    Hmmm, yes, he could definitely imagine children being enamored by something that looked like Fidget. Small and furry, much more acceptable to a kid's tastes than most non-humans. Quirrel let out a small laugh at the absurdity of the banter. What a terrible problem, to be too popular with the youth! He'd take it over the looks of fear he tended to elicit, at the very least.

The levity of the situation was immediately broken up when Dust's sword spoke. That was... new. Talking weapons weren't common, even in as absurdly eclectic a land as Pandora. And it was giving a warning. Having been alerted to something being wrong, the beetle focused his keen hearing.

There was definitely something disturbing the relatively calm ambiance of this forest. His instincts were telling him that it wasn't anything pleasant. But that was fine. A bit of excitement was good for the mind. "Absconding might be a good idea right now," he idly observed, though Quirrel didn't move himself. This had made him too curious to simply leave right now.

Dust likes this.
  11. Dust

Adventurer
    Race:
    Warmblood
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

"Why can't we ever go somewhere that doesn't try to kill us immediately?" Fidget moaned as Dust started readying himself for a fight. His ears twitched back and forth, just barely managing to pick up the sounds of distant hooves thundering closer.

Well, he could barely hear them at first. They seemed to be moving fast enough that they were nearly on top of the group in seconds. Or maybe they were close and the noise was just very quiet. Whatever it was, it was almost there.

"I don't think we have time for that," Dust replied to Quirrel, "Unless you're faster than most horses." Whatever was drawing near, he wasn't going to let himself be scared of it. He'd faced too much by that point to let anything get to him.

Quirrel likes this.
  12. Quirrel

Quirrel Hollow Knight

Explorer
    Race:
    Beetle
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    While he originally could only hear that something was coming, as the sounds moved closer it became obvious that there were horses... or centaurs. In Pandora there was actually an incredible amount of things that sounded like a horse when they moved. Of course, he could easily outrun a horse. In a forest like this, where they couldn't even maneuver freely, it wouldn't even be a challenge to lose them.

"Well, they're no doubt slower than me and can't move as freely as I in this terrain," Quirrel replied calmly. "But that's assuming I'm moving alone. I can't exactly carry someone your size and expect to get away." He turned towards the direction he assumed these mysterious horsemen would arrive from. "And it really wouldn't be right to just abandon someone else, I feel."

The idea that this would automatically be a fight was ridiculous, though. "If they're riding on mounts, they're probably smart enough to negotiate with. Might not even be hostile to begin with."

Dust likes this.
  13. Dust

Adventurer
    Race:
    Warmblood
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

Dust didn't seem very phased by Quirrel's words, until he mentioned being unwilling to abandon Dust and Fidget to their fate. He tensed up slightly in surprise, glancing over at the bug. It was hard to see his expression under the hat, but it was probably obvious that he was not prepared for that.

"Oh, well, thanks," he replied. Even though there was a chance the things weren't hostile, there was also a chance they were, and it was nice to hear someone else promise not to just leave him to do all the work. It wasn't as common in Pandora, but it still often felt like it was just him, Fidget, and Ahrah handling everything.

There wasn't much more time to converse, the hooves were suddenly upon them, along with the shiny tips of arrows pointing at them from the bushes. The leaves shook as the riders entered the clearing at a much more leisurely pace.

The mounts were not what Dust was expecting. He had no idea humans had learned how to train deer to carry their weight. Though, a quick look at the riders made Dust reconsider. They were all so thin and small, he wondered if the deer even noticed the riders.

At the head of the group was the largest of the humans (well, Dust didn't know how many bald, bipedal species there were in Pandora, so he just assumed they all were humans), who was the only one not pointing a weapon at them.

She held herself with the sort of effortless grace that had Dust's fur rising. It was just slightly wrong in a way that he didn't like. The woman seemed unperturbed, however, gazing down at the group with a disinterested stare.

"You are both trespassing on sacred ground," she finally said, voice high and tinny, yet also somehow sounding old, "we would have let this pass, but one of you has disturbed our holiest of treasures. By rights, we should slaughter you where you stand."

Quirrel likes this.
  14. Quirrel

Quirrel Hollow Knight

Explorer
    Race:
    Beetle
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    It was really just common decency to not abandon someone on a whim, but apparently it was surprising enough to warrant a thanks from Dust. Well, Quirrel always had been a bit of compulsive good Samaritan, so maybe it wasn't too normal for others. Right now, though, he was just too curious to leave.

Deer... That made more sense than horses, to be honest. They probably made better mounts for navigating a forest, after all. If these humanoid, because they certainly were not human, beings had the build for it, then more power to them for riding them. They were... quite arrogant, though. Having been surrounded by nobles in his past due to his relatively important position, Quirrel had come to be able to recognize the air that self-important entities had.

They were always the hardest to hash out deals with.

The beetle matched the apparent leader's gaze with a trademark blank stare of his own. The empty void behind his mask's eye holes faced right at her eyes as he listened with vague interest. So they had been in a sacred grove this whole time... and destroyed something important so now they were mad. "Oh dear, it appears we've angered a few moths," he finally remarked without a shred of concern, likening them to the most religious bugs of his homeland. "Whatever are you waiting for? I find it hard to believe you'd stop to explain if you were only going to try cutting us down."

Dust likes this.
  15. Dust

Adventurer
    Race:
    Warmblood
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

Dust had been quietly shifting from foot to foot, ready to spring, when Quirrel's very blase attitude caused him to snort softly. Fidget was less amused, crying, "oh no, now there's another one. This is almost as bad as that time you started casually talking to Lady Tethas."

"I did win that fight," Dust said, staring directly at the leader of the humanoids. She seemed distinctly unimpressed. In fact, she barely moved an inch after she stopped talking. The other humanoids had shifted slightly, clearly ready for a fight to break out.

The leader simply continued as if there had been no interruption. "Though we have the right to slaughter you, we will not. Yet. You have trod upon our sacred sapling, and to send one of our own to retrieve the replacement would be an unnecessary danger at present."

Quirrel likes this.
  16. Quirrel

Quirrel Hollow Knight

Explorer
    Race:
    Beetle
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    It really wasn't worth getting so upset over this. He could always just run away, after all. Sure it wasn't very brave, but it would mean he wouldn't have to kill them all. It wouldn't even be a challenge, since he could enter the Otherworld at will. The only thing stopping him was that he hadn't yet grasped the technique to drag others in with him. Leaving those two to handle this alone would just be wrong.

Seriously, though, it was almost comical how stoic this woman was. The bugs back home showed more emotion, and they literally wore masks at all times! They certainly had the right to try slaughtering them, but there was little chance of them succeeding. Those elves were lucky that Quirrel didn't like killing sapient life.

And they had to be so roundabout regarding their wishes, didn't they? Just say it clearly instead of letting implications hang in the air needlessly! "So... one of us stepped on a fragile plant and now you want us to get a new one," the beetle filled in the blank plainly, sounding equally unimpressed. "Alright, just point me in the right direction and I'm sure this can all be resolved peacefully." He was no stranger to venturing into danger to collect rare items, it was one of his main sources of income in Pandora. That he was doing it for such irritating individuals was merely an inconvenience.

Dust likes this.
  17. Dust

Adventurer
    Race:
    Warmblood
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

The leader's expression changed slightly at Quirrel's words. She went from completely detached to slightly annoyed, which caused Dust to chuckle. He was already done with the humanoids from the second they appeared, and he only got more sick of them by the second.

"Or you could just keep talking until we die of boredom," he added, "it seems to be what you're more interested in doing."

Fidget let out a noise of protest and whined, "Dust, why do you always have to do this? Can't we just be nice to the people who have us surrounded?"

"You can if you'd like, Fidget. Don't let me stop you from showing off your impeccable manners."

"I can be polite if I want to be!"

Clearing her throat to get the attention back on her, the humanoid leader stepped back in. "If you two are quite done," she paused briefly, glancing between the two before continuing, "there is a mountain not far from here. At the peak is a strange and terrible monster. If you manage to kill it, from its corpse will sprout the sapling we require. If you succeed, your debt has been repaid."

Quirrel likes this.
  18. Quirrel

Quirrel Hollow Knight

Explorer
    Race:
    Beetle
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    "Now now, Dust, you can't be rude to such a gracious people as this," Quirrel chided the cat with a thin veneer of sincerity covering his disdain for the elves. "All I was doing was expediting things so that this wouldn't stretch on longer than it has to." He was completely aware they could hear him, but he didn't care. If they were going to turn him into an errand beetle he'd treat them casually as he liked. This was how he showed annoyance.

So the danger lay in having to kill something so it would sprout a sacred sapling. This was stupid. Surely this plant wasn't that special! Whispering roots didn't require this much effort, and those things literally grew off of dreams and secrets! "Well, I wouldn't call myself a warrior but I suppose this strange and terrible monster will just have to confirm that for me," he remarked airily, subtly lifting up his honed nail. "I was in the mood to scale a mountain anyways! Gets the hemolymph flowing."

"Just point to the mountain. You'll get your precious plant and I'll get a nice story to tell, I swear on the abyss," he concluded, sounding thoroughly nonplussed.

#18 Quirrel, Jun 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    Dust likes this.
  19. Dust

Adventurer
    Race:
    Warmblood
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

"Ah, yes, of course," Dust replied, matching Quirrel's pretend civility, "what was I thinking?" At least Lady Tethas had the excuse of being pushed over the edge by General Gaius's campaign. These elves were just haughty for the sake of it.

Quirrel stated that he wasn't exactly a warrior, something Dust couldn't really pretend he wasn't. Having an oversized sword in his hand kind of spoke against that. Still, he managed to add, "well, we can't be sure of that. I'm sure they'd find a medium-sized dog threatening."

"Dust, maybe we should just go mountain climbing, before they start testing out how many arrows will fit in your face?" Fidget suggested, easing away from the circle around them. While he doubted they'd stand much of a chance, she had a point.

With a bitten back sigh, the leader of the elves pointed eastward. "That way, you will find a stream, blacker than night and stronger than the wind. Follow it to its source, and you will find a boulder which will point you in the direction you will go next. The mountain will be directly beyond the grand tree that has fallen to point towards it."

There was a pause before Dust glanced down at Ahrah. "Please tell me you can sense where the creature is."

"Of course, Dust," Ahrah replied, "there is a powerful creature with the same magic within this clearing, and it is powerful. I can lead you there."

"Oh, good," Fidget sighed, "because I didn't get a word of that."

Quirrel likes this.
  20. Quirrel

Quirrel Hollow Knight

Explorer
    Race:
    Beetle
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    Oh dear, this was actually kind of fun. He was too worried about upsetting the dynamic with Bill to really speak his mind in reaction to the demon's antics, but these people clearly needed them too much to kill them over a few slights. "Oh, let him speak his mind," he brushed off Fidget casually. "Speech is just information in the form of vibrations traveling through the air, anyways. Nothing anyone should get upset about when you think of it that way." This really was a throwback to his centuries-past interactions with nobles and the like.

It gave him a small sense of satisfaction to see how they had managed to eat away at the representative's stoicism a bit with simple irreverence. Still wasn't enough to get her to give up some clear instructions, though. He would have pointed out how stupid it was to be so vague to deliverymen when the destination was supposed to be the simple part of this fetch quest, but Dust eliminated the need to pay it any more mind by asking his talking sword.

"Well, isn't that so very convenient! Seems like I won't be needing to solve any riddles about rivers that sound like they flow with liquid void or what have you," he praised the weapon, glad that some time on this pointless detour could be skipped. "Not that I doubt I could parse the couched meanings in that brilliant set of directions, but a roundabout journey is really only best when the destination is unclear."

"Well then, shall we be off?"

Dust likes this.