By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box.
Only the box is a world of its own.
We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.
Want to add a quote? Submit them here!
  1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Summer is here!
    Check out the Season Updates HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Have a nice day, Guest!
    Dismiss Notice

Private eye for an eye

Discussion in 'Lethe' started by Carol Danvers, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Carol Danvers

Carol Danvers Marvel Universe

Race:
    Human (also Kree)
    15th June, @Anthony J. Crowley

Anyone who had passed Carol Danvers that evening would have known to just let her pass without trying to get in her way. She was on a mission and she was beyond angry. The man in question she was after had been exposed to be part of the smuggling ring which had shot at her yesterday. Granted, it had hit her armour but she'd had to get fixed up at the medic station for some of her other injuries. Now she was just out for revenge and retribution and no one was going to stop her.

She had tracked down the guy's favourite bar and when she entered it, in a cap and causal clothing, no one batted an eyelid in her direction. Carol scanned the bar quickly and spotted the man she was after; he had a distinguishable look. He had a shaved head apart from one ponytail which was braided at the back. Carol rolled her eyes and wasted no time in walking over to the man and jerking him backwards with a sharp pull at his shoulder. The man shouted in alarm until he saw Carol and realised who she was. He was reaching for his gun immediately; Carol used her other hand to smack into his shoulder, forcing him to drop his weapon with a cry of pain.

No one else in the bar batted an eyelid as Carol dragged him off the stool and gave a swift punch to the face before dragging him outside and handing him to the authorities who had trailed her at a distance. There would be retribution for his other crimes but she had got what she had wanted. The bar returned to normal business soon and Carol removed her cap, pushing her hand through her hair and mussing it up a little before taking a seat at the bar. "One beer." She put a couple of coins down on the bar and waited patiently for the staff to fulfil her request.

Anthony J. Crowley likes this.
  2. Anthony J. Crowley

Anthony J. Crowley Good Omens

Annoyance
    Race:
    Demon
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

Crowley was of two minds about the Dread Wastes.

On the one hand, it was full of such a diverse group of sinners that he felt practically drawn to the place. His demon instincts practically sang for him to get there and start making mischief. It'd be so much easier there.

On the other, it was kind of gross and not at all fun. Watching the humans do some reprehensible things was interesting, but other than that? He much preferred places with more order and less barren wastelands.

Still, it was a nice place to visit on occasion. During this particular visit, he decided to pick on some easy targets, drunk people. It was so easy to just push someone a little too inebriated into starting a fight, or ignoring some boundaries.

Before he could really start trouble, though, he got a pretty good view of one of the few decent people in all of the Wastes doing some decent work. She didn't even hesitate to drag some drug dealer or whatever away after punching him right in the face.

His grin turned, well, snakelike as he watched her reenter. Forget causing trouble, he was much too curious to find out what her deal was.

With all of the confidence of someone who knew no one around could really touch them, he sauntered over to the bar as she ordered, taking a seat next to her. He gestured for a drink of his own, and despite the fact that the bartender couldn't remember him having ordered anything before, she somehow knew exactly what he wanted.

After that, he turned to the woman with a grin. "Excellent show," he complimented, "really, I almost felt like applauding. You should've bowed, it would've really tied it all together."

Carol Danvers likes this.
  3. Carol Danvers

Race:
    Human (also Kree)
    Given the little performance she had shown, it wasn't surprising that her request for a beer was completed promptly and it wasn't long before she held an ice cool bottle in her hand. She didn't even move to drink it at first, just held it, cooling herself down. The bar had gone back to its usual hum in most places; it was not unusual for such scenes to unfold in front of them so for many it was simply business as usual. Carol suspected many were just glad it was not them this time.

Her eyes dragged slowly to the man who had slid in beside her. She raised an eyebrow at him; he clearly had a nerve approaching anyone after she had just done what she had. Half the bar was refusing to meet her eyes yet this man had specifically sought her out to speak. Carol took a swig of her beer.

"I don't do it for entertainment." She paused, "Though I wouldn't think to restrict how you respond." It was a free world, even if she didn't find applause or compliments necessary.

4. Anthony J. Crowley

Annoyance
    Race:
    Demon
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

Crowley's smile widened slightly at the woman's response, and he chuckled. Something told him that he had made the right choice in sitting down to talk to her. The drink he had ordered was placed in front of him, a wine that was a little better than would be expected somewhere like this. Of course, he didn't care about that, simply taking a satisfied sip.

"No, I suppose you didn't," he said, "not quite theatrical enough. I am curious, though. You're not a guard, otherwise you'd be drinking on duty, so this isn't simply your day job, and yet you live in a mostly lawless wasteland. Compared to most regions."

His smile widened a fraction as he gazed at her over the rim of his glass. "I can't help but wonder what makes you decide to take drug dealers off the streets. It's not your problem, is it?"

5. Carol Danvers

Race:
    Human (also Kree)
    Carol really just wanted to enjoy this drink in peace but she could see that wasn't going to happen with this man around. His observations were nothing more than textbook and frankly they didn't interest her. She took another sip of her drink; she was pretty sure the guards here didn't care much about the rules and most of them probably did frequent bars even on shifts. After all, this place wasn't this lawless without there being a reason to be like that.

"It should be everyone's problem." She answered truthfully and with a shrug of her shoulders. She didn't care much about what he thought of it, but for Carol she did what she did because it was the right thing to do. "One more criminal off the streets, I'd say that was a job well done. That is why I do what I do."

6. Anthony J. Crowley

Annoyance
    Race:
    Demon
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

Crowley was infinitely more pleased as the woman replied. She seemed just prickly enough that her deciding to tell him off was possible. Still, she seemed to be a hero, so perhaps as long as he just asked questions, she'd at least put up with him.

And if she didn't? Well, he'd just have to ask as many questions in the meantime until she did.

"Very practical, I suppose," he replied, lightly, "no personal philosophy or saying that pushes you to do what you do, eh? Just a simple dislike of troublemakers?" Heroes came in so many shapes and sizes, and Crowley wanted to see them all.

7. Carol Danvers

Race:
    Human (also Kree)
    Carol took another sip from her drink as the man spoke again. She shrugged and nodded; that was about it as far as she could see. She simply did not like people who liked to make the lives of others miserable. Maybe that was because she had it happen to her so many times in her own life so she wanted to stop it happening to others whenever she could.

"That's about the size of it." She said, turning back to him, "And what about you? Haven't seen you around before, what's your story?"

8. Anthony J. Crowley

Annoyance
    Race:
    Demon
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

Crowley sipped on his drink just in time for the woman to ask about his story, and he almost choked. Well, technically he did choke, but since he didn't need to actually breathe, the sudden wine going to his 'lungs' didn't actually bother him.

So, from the outside, he simply looked like he was taking a calm sip, just making a somewhat odd sound when he did.

His expression (what could be seen, anyway) was still relaxed as he replied, "I wouldn't say I have much of a story," he said with a wave, "I'm simply curious about the different regions and the people who live there. The abundance of heroes and villains here intrigues me."

9. Carol Danvers

Race:
    Human (also Kree)
    Carol considered the stranger and hummed in his direction as she went to take another sip of his drink. He sure sounded like he had a tale or two to tell, despite the way he hid behind his words. She'd seen enough in this world and her own to know that people weren't always what they seemed so she simply just smirked a little and turned to face him.

"Yeah? Why's that?" She asked plainly. "What's the interest all about?"

10. Anthony J. Crowley

Annoyance
    Race:
    Demon
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

On the upside, Crowley got the woman's attention enough to start an actual conversation. On the downside, she was starting to ask more about him. It was definitely not what he wanted, since it wasn't a conversation about the heroes.

Still, he played along, gave a shrug and replied, "what can I say, the nature of good and evil is a curious subject. You find so often that hu- people do either for such a wide variety of reasons. I suppose you could consider me an anthropologist, in a sense."

11. Carol Danvers

Race:
    Human (also Kree)
    Carol felt like this man was probably just a liar and she had no time for that. She simply rolled her eyes at him. She had no idea what an anthropologist was but she wasn't going to give the man one up by actually asking that so she simply brushed it off and ignored the comment almost completely, simply choosing instead to continued to sip her drink.

"You didn't come to the Dread Wastes to just watch people. Why are you really here?" She asked him, narrowing her eyes on him.

12. Anthony J. Crowley

Annoyance
    Race:
    Demon
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

Crowley had to try really hard not to smirk right at the hero. He couldn't help it, her distrust was simultaneously appropriate for the situation, and completely wrong. Any other demon, she'd be right to assume he had a purpose, but not him.

"If you're expecting me to have some grand plan that involves this place, you'll be disappointed," he said, taking a sip of his drink, "I just enjoy seeing how good or evil people can be. Such potential, I always want to see how people use their free will."

13. Carol Danvers

Race:
    Human (also Kree)
    He wasn't biting which was annoying by itself. Carol took another sip of her drink and looked clearly as amused as she felt. Carol then sat back in her seat. In her experience, very few people were content to just watch people and their motives without getting involved, though perhaps she was giving him too much credit in that regard. She smirked. "Right, so just an observer of others?" She asked, getting the measure of him.

"What is your appraisal of what you've found so far with the peoples of Pandora?" She could not say humans as it was incredibly presumptuous of her; there were many different beings in Pandora with free will.

14. Anthony J. Crowley

Annoyance
    Race:
    Demon
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

"Exactly," Crowley said with a bit of forced pep. It made him sound that much more aggravating.

The human's next question brought a genuine chuckle out of him as he shrugged. "I've been here for about ten days so far," he said, "so I can't say I've found out much worth knowing quite yet. I will say one of the things that most interests me so far is the diversity in Pandora. I would have assumed most humans would rather drop dead than live right next to aliens and other non-humans. Although I'm sure there are places where my assumption is correct."

15. Carol Danvers

Race:
    Human (also Kree)
    His words rang true; especially of the Kree people who were intolerant to anyone who didn't bow before them but she was past that life now and instead only looked to the future and to what she could do to make amends for being still for so long. She had always wanted to make a difference and now she could forge that.

Carol sipped on her drink, looking like she was really mulling over his words with interest. "I think you're less likely to pick a fight if you don't know what the other person's capable of. So, if you're up against a human on earth, you know they might have a weapon or be handy with their fists, but in this world, who knows when someone's fists might start glowing or lasers shoot out of their eyes or they control the damned weather along with everything else going on. I'm not suggesting people are scared of each other, maybe just wanting to ensure their pride isn't dented."

16. Anthony J. Crowley

Annoyance
    Race:
    Demon
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

Crowley's smile grew just a fraction when the human finally took the bait and started discussing. It was all he wanted, really, to get as many interesting perspectives as he could. Something told him that this woman's perspective was quite interesting.

"Well, I definitely can't argue with that," he replied, "my fighting skills are practically nonexistent. I have never started a fight with anyone." He just convinced others to start fights while he watched from the sidelines. It worked for him.

"But some people are less than tolerant," he added, "and that seems curious to me. What are they going to do with that hate? Just scream and bluster? Actually try and hurt people? A little of both? Really, I have to know."

17. Carol Danvers

Race:
    Human (also Kree)
    They were going round in this metaphorical circle, or so Carol felt. She nodded and took a sip of her drink, understanding but then also slightly irritated by his responses. It felt like she was not the first person to have this conversation with him or begin this with him.

There was something she was quite interested in though, "So you say you've never picked a fight with anyone. Has anyone ever picked a fight with you?" She asked casually, beginning to enjoy this exchange despite the occasional frustration.

18. Anthony J. Crowley

Annoyance
    Race:
    Demon
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

Annoying the woman hadn't even been Crowley's intention. But once he did, well, he wasn't exactly complaining. Bothering humans in person was new, but he found that he rather liked it. Made him feel all warm and fuzzy.

"Who would ever want to fight me?" he asked, voice dripping with sarcasm before he chuckled and shook his head, "a few, yes. I've stepped on a few toes in the past and had to make my escape from some bad situations. Never fought personally, of course, just left a few traps when I could."

19. Carol Danvers

Race:
    Human (also Kree)
    Carol snorted into her drink at his recollection of having started and been in a fair few fights in his time. He seemed so unlike her yet she was enjoying his company. It was about the most stimulating conversation she’d had in this place in some time and she was keen for it not to end quickly. “What kind of traps we talking about here?” She asked with a raised brow.

20. Anthony J. Crowley

Annoyance
    Race:
    Demon
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

Somehow, the conversation turned from Carol to Crowley, but he couldn't really complain. After all, the unpredictability was what he liked about humans to begin with. And it wasn't like he was dumb enough to give the kinds of details that would lead to uncomfortable questions.

"Nothing spectacular, I assure you," he replied, "I happened to get my hands on... let's just call it acid. Got enough to fill a bucket with the stuff, put it on top of a door and then..." he mimed water splashing with his hands and then chuckled, "that worked better than my attempts to convince the second assailant that I'd filled a squirtbottle with the stuff. Ah well, it gave me the opening to run."