By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box.
Only the box is a world of its own.
We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.
Want to add a quote? Submit them here!
  1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Spring has arrived!
    Check out the Season Updates HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Have a nice day, Guest!
    Dismiss Notice

Complete eye of the tiger

Discussion in 'Crystal Vales' started by Toby Daye, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Toby Daye

Toby Daye October Daye

Private Investigator
    Race:
    Changeling
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    May 9th, Year 108 || @Ozpin
    The concept of training was one that made Toby really uncomfortable. The last time she had ever trained for real had been with Devon. Learning how to shoot with Qrow had not counted. That had only been one lesson. The brunette had been learning on her own and now it was time to actually get some help. With her aura, with her semblance, with her ability to save people. Now that she could do more, Toby wanted to do more. She wanted to help more people and solve more crimes. Make sure that others could get home to their loved ones every night.

Was that being a hero? The brunette really didn't know. Toby wasn't sure she wanted to call herself that just yet. The changeling still had so much to learn and figure out. She had to get control of her aura, figure out how to work her abilities into solving cases, and then she'd go from there. Which was probably why the woman hadn't gone out and given herself a superhero name or strapped on a pair of tights. No thank you ever. But training those things so she could be more useful on the job? Toby needed help for that and Oz had been the one to step up to the plate.

The wizard had told her to follow up whenever for this and Toby had managed to clear several hours of her late afternoon. The sooner the better in so many different aspects of her current life. She also felt like there was something haunting about arriving by portal to Schola. Toby had walked these halls plenty of times before. She had visited Qrow plenty of times and had picked Gilly up or dropped her off. There was a chance that she could run into Qrow here at the school and Toby wasn't sure about that either. Did she want to? Did she not?

Toby left those thoughts behind as she got directions to Professor Ozpin's office. The changeling saw it was open and the wizard was seated behind his desk. A gentle knock was all the real warning she could give him before she stepped inside the room. For the first time in decades, Toby was in a school to learn. That hadn't happened since she was seven years old. There was something of a miracle for her to even consider that connection as she stood there. Dressed in her old attire she was about as prepared for this as possible. Torn jeans, old faded rock t-shirt, hoodie, and a decent pair of sneakers. There was a small smile on her lips that was stuck halfway between nervous and eager, but what it really showed was tension. Toby was unsure about all of this but she had still shown up. "Hey. Thanks for meeting with me today." Nervous enough to be polite as she stood there with her hands in her pockets. Trying to seem casual and utterly failing.

She had to try. As long as she made an attempt at this, Toby would be able to live with whatever happened as the outcome. Even if Oz gave up in frustration and told her not to come back for training.

2. Ozpin

Ozpin RWBY

Professor
    Race:
    Human V1.0
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good

Oz was beyond happy to be back at Schola Praeditos. It was a funny thing, really, that he had come to love the building as much as he had, without quite realizing it. He had been able to breathe deeply again as soon as he came through the front door, and although things were still in disarray in his life, Oz was quietly relieved to see that the school hadn't changed very much at all. Somehow, in the back of his mind, he had started to cross his wires, confusing Schola with Beacon. He'd almost expected to arrive, only to find some monstrous Grimm dragon perched on the roof.

Instead, he had returned on a sunny, warm afternoon, and the weather had been holding out for the last two weeks, seeming just as happy as Oz to see him back where he should have been a very long time ago. Most of his classes were now taking place outdoors, as it seemed incredibly unfair to his students and to himself to suffer through three hours of lecturing in a dark hall when there was a sunny lawn just outside the doors to sprawl across.

He was happy. As happy as he would allow himself to be, knowing that things were still a far cry from perfect. Pyrrha plagued his mind whenever Oz had a moment to spare. The strange, frozen cult came back to him now and then, bringing endless questions and worries. But he tried to face forward, and he tried to be cheerful. If there were dark circles around his eyes now and then, well...

That wasn't exactly abnormal for Oz.

He was midway through a set of assignments when Toby arrived, and he glanced up with a warm smile. "Toby!" Oz raised his brows at her polite and respectful greeting, then his eyes narrowed with a shrewd smile. "No need to act like that, Ms Daye. I'm not going to be giving you any tests." Oz chuckled, returning to his stack of papers and continuing to correct them at a swift, but not hasty pace.

"Please, make yourself a cup of coffee. I made sure to have some on hand for you. Apparently it's quite good." He gestured to the corner of the office, where he had set up his drink nook. It was a bit chaotic, showing signs of teenagers having pilfered it over the last few days, but Oz preferred it that way anyway. It made things look a bit more lived in. "If it's all the same to you, Toby, I'd like to finish these before we start. I think you could use the time to relax as well - I can feel your tension from over here." Oz pointed out without raising his head.

On cue, Henry made his way out from under the desk, where he had been napping on Oz's feet. Yawning explosively, the lab wiggled all over as he made his way to Toby and immediately made an attempt to sit on her feet as well, staring up at her with enormous eyes that practically glowed with blind love. "That's Henry. He says hello. He's already had a run today, so hopefully he'll be reasonably polite." Oz muttered as he scrutinized an answer on one of the papers, tilting his head this way and that as he tried to make sense of where the hell the student had pulled their answer from.

Toby Daye likes this.
  3. Toby Daye

Toby Daye October Daye

Private Investigator
    Race:
    Changeling
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    Oz seemed cheery and Toby felt her spirits rise ever so slightly in response. She could take a breath and let go of some of that stress. More so Oz had coffee and it was like the man already knew how to win her over and help her relax. All those years of experience at work, the changeling was sure, but she wasn't about to argue with it since he was offering coffee.

The changeling moved over to the little drink nook with a soft smile. One hand lifted to tuck brown hair behind one ear even as Henry wiggled his way over to where she was standing. A little bit of a smile was offered to the dog but Toby finished making her cup of coffee before she reached down to ruffle the fur on top of Henry's head.

"That's probably a good thing because I don't know the first thing about dogs." Toby used a normal voice with a smile but she was looking down at Henry all the same. One eyebrow raised as she completely relaxed. Moving to scratch the golden retriever behind his ears in the next moment before gently moving her feet out from under the dog and circled back towards the desk that the wizard was seated behind. Taking a seat in a first row desk with a little bit of an amused look on her features.

She wasn't sure if conversation would be helpful or distracting with what he was doing but Toby was fine sipping coffee at the student's desk. "I'm guessing you enjoy teaching?" It seemed to fit him. Doubly with the way he had treated Toby. How quickly he had invited her to come get help with her aura? Teaching just came naturally to Oz. Or at least that's what Toby thought of it all.

Ozpin likes this.
  4. Ozpin

Ozpin RWBY

Professor
    Race:
    Human V1.0
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good

"Just pet him and that's all he really needs in life." Oz mentioned with a soft laugh as he finally got his head around just how wildly wrong this student's answer was and began to write chickenscratch on the margin of the paper, giving a basic overview of what the answer had been, and asking them to drop by to see him after class. Absently, without paying much attention to Toby, Oz pushed his chair away from the desk and swiveled around to consult his day planner, which was in a physical book, which was so old-fashioned he wanted to cry over it, but at least it didn't crash three times a day like his scroll.

Noting a day that he had a few hours free, he swiveled away from the window and back to the desk, jotting down a time for the student to pop in. Meanwhile, Henry had followed Toby very happily to the couch, and pulled himself up with her. He wasn't bold enough to immediately lie on a complete stranger, but the lab did pant very enthusiastically into her face while blinking lovingly.

Oz looked up from his grading with a touch of surprise at Toby's question, then his lips curled into a smile. "It's something I always come back to." He admitted calmly. "Sometimes not for centuries, and sometimes for three lifetimes in a row." Oz explained as he corrected, consulting the answer key here and there. His eyes flicked over to Toby now and then, and after a few minutes he spoke again. "It's something that doesn't change radically with time. The tools change, and the approach changes, but teaching remains the same. I don't need to relearn it every century or so, unlike many other careers I've had in the past."

Toby Daye likes this.
  5. Toby Daye

Toby Daye October Daye

Private Investigator
    Race:
    Changeling
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    Henry had followed Toby to the couch and the changeling really didn't want the dog up there with her. She had plenty of motherly bones in her body. She respected cats and got along with them just fine. Dogs? Oh they were far more energy and bad breath than anything Toby normally wanted to deal with. Thankfully the brunette had a cup of coffee to sip on to make sure she didn't give a weird reaction right off the bat. The lack of the curse was still something Toby was thankful for in awkward moments.

Instead the changeling stared at the dog while Oz continued grading and figuring out his schedule. Debating if she should say something or just give in to what the dog wanted while being hopeful that Henry would leave her alone after a little bit. Her cats had always been more loners than anything else. Cuddly, friendly animals were not her normal interaction in the least bit.

"Makes sense." Toby had kept herself from mentioning she had a similar mind frame with investigative work. She had done it before being a fish, after being a fish, and when she got pulled into Pandora because it made sense in her life. She likely would keep up the career for as long as she lived. Maybe it was the same, maybe it wasn't. That didn't really matter to Toby. "What have you dabbled in?" He seemed to need little to almost no prodding to start talking about things and Toby thought that was pretty interesting.

Of course she was still talking calmly, almost as if they were talking about the weather or something of that nature. These were the kinds of conversations she had had with a certain Scrabble playing goddess who she had seen once a week. But far friendlier. Toby would give him that one. She finally caved to petting Henry again, hoping he wouldn't become glued to her in the process.

Ozpin likes this.
  6. Ozpin

Ozpin RWBY

Professor
    Race:
    Human V1.0
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good

Normally, Oz was very conscious of when or if Henry was being a... jackass to other people, but for the time being he was more interested in finishing the papers in front of him, so he didn't actually pay the dog any mind at all, presuming that whatever he was doing wasn't actually getting in Toby's way at all. "Does it? Sometimes I wonder." Oz mused as he consulted his own answer key with a touch of befuddlement, because one of them no longer seemed as clear cut as it had a few minutes ago. "I wonder if it really doesn't change, or if it's just... easier to adapt to the changes." He smiled faintly.

He set aside a paper and moved on to the next. One of the last ones. Starting at the top of the page, Oz glanced over at Toby, noting that Henry was now leaning his entire weight against her side as she began to pet him again. He considered scolding the dog, but eventually decided against it. "It's more a question of what haven't I dabbled in? I always seem to come back to royalty - which, I suppose, is more... a job I seem to keep being born into." He shrugged his shoulders with a bit of a sheepish smile.

"I've been a doctor quite a few times, but it got exhausting to keep up with the advancements, and I... had a hard time keeping my magic secret." He added as he scribbled corrections on the student's work. "And an engineer - I've ended up in that field quite often. I spent a century or so working on fishing boats, as a matter of fact, which I enjoyed very much. And, of course, in every life I've lived, I've always been a huntsman. Even before it had a name." Oz beamed briefly, quietly proud that he had been able to stay so firmly committed to his battle against the Grimm and Salem, despite so many times when he had been tempted to deviate and let the world sort itself out for a while.

Oz looked up from his work, flashing Toby a genuine smile. "I tried farming once. I didn't even last a month. I hate sheep."

Toby Daye likes this.
  7. Toby Daye

Toby Daye October Daye

Private Investigator
    Race:
    Changeling
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    Royalty. That might have explained the manners and the way he had fit into that court so easily. Much more sooth than Toby had never been. Could ever hope to be because she just... couldn't play nice in those situations. Oz had had practice. That was probably going to be the answer to a great many things he knew. Toby was just going to have to accept it during this training session. Whatever it wound up being. For the moment she was seated on a couch petting a dog that was leaning on her heavily bit by bit. The longer she sat there the heavier Henry seemed to get.

I hate sheep. She snorted slightly. "I think that's a pretty universal statement." Most people were not farmers. Most people didn't have what it took to be farmers. Toby would forever be a city slicker and she barely even liked living in the 'burbs. "I don't think I'd be anything other than a private investigator. Perhaps teaching is your comfort zone." There might have been a little bit of amusement at the words but the brunette couldn't help it.

Oz had gotten under her skin. He had gotten past those rough barriers that she normally had up to keep people out. Toby thought she was a tough gal, liked to think that such a thing was difficult. There were always cracks, always ways in, and Oz had gotten himself included after a few meetings. It helped that he had been the one to break her curse. That he was nice to Gilly. That his magic smelled like grass.

"Luidaeg use to say that everything ran together sometimes and only the real memorable moments were either very good or very bad." Someone else who had lived an incredibly long time. "It also meant we argued whether or not certain words could be allowed in the game since she's spoken almost every language known to man at some point or another. Difficult to keep up with when you're only in your sixties and you've never left your hometown." There was another chuckle and Toby leaned against Henry without realizing it. Maybe he wasn't too bad. It wasn't like he was that heavy. Toby also didn't realize how much dog hair she was getting on her clothing.

Ozpin likes this.
  8. Ozpin

Ozpin RWBY

Professor
    Race:
    Human V1.0
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good

"That is not a universal statement. Do you know how many children's toys are sheep? All of them, Toby." It was like the sheep had wanted to mock his failure by turning up at every new avenue of his life. They were everywhere. They were in everything. He had had too many children who all seemed to naturally gravitate towards those awful, insulting sheep stuffies that they insisted on carrying everywhere for ten years.

Breathing out in a huff, Oz crossed out an answer a bit more harshly than he meant to. "Oh, teaching is absolutely my comfort zone, Toby, but don't assume that you'll never do more than what you do right now, even if that's your passion. You'll get bored with it, even if it's just for a decade or two. You'll branch out and find something new, or you'll expand your interests and come across a new passion." He explained merrily. That was how Oz had found a certain love of tinkering. Engineering wasn't necessarily his pride and joy in his existence, but it was something he enjoyed very much, and it was something that Oz could get lost in for days, weeks or even years at a time if he allowed himself. It was also something that he had never had much interest in for the first five hundred years of his existence.

In typical Henry fashion, Oz could see the dog starting to doze, especially when Toby began to lean right back into him, and his lips quirked upward in a warm smile. "Luidaeg was correct, in a sense, though I don't know if that's something you'll understand in the near future, Ms Daye. Not really." He said patiently as he clued up the paper in front of him. It was a strange thing. Toby's... friend was right in one way, but Oz still thought that the present moment always mattered, even if he wasn't likely to remember it for the next thousand years. Even if he forgot about this meeting in the next five years, it was still significant in the now, and he was obliged to give it his full attention and respect. "And, for what it's worth, Scrabble should be one language only, for fairness. And no names. Names are cheating." Oz said sternly, then looked thoughtful. "And none of these... memes. Or shorthand. Or whatever the children call it nowadays. Only real words. Yeet is not a word."

Toby Daye likes this.
  9. Toby Daye

Toby Daye October Daye

Private Investigator
    Race:
    Changeling
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    "Real sheep! Real sheep stink!" She had been on a couple of farms for various cases and animals did not smell nice at all. Thankfully Gilly hadn't been in love with sheep. Or maybe not thankfully. Toby had taken her daughter to Jurassic World. Which had basically given Toby anxiety the entire time they had been there even if nothing bad had happened just yet.

But she was smiling from the couch as she continued to pet Henry and sip her coffee. "Maybe. I did a stint as a night shift cashier." There was a slight wriggle of her brows as if it were far more appealing than it had actually been. Really though Toby would do what she had to in order to pay the bills. Being a cashier had been all she was capable of during that year of endless depression. Just enough to pay the bills, if she ate like shit and had no social life at all.

Then Oz brought up memes. He sounded just like Toby and there was a heavy sigh from the brunette. "Yeet is not a word. I don't understand chat speak and smilies are weird." She had more than enough trouble with texting, emails... Toby had adapted but it hadn't been easy. "I was a little behind on the technology front before. Thankfully I had an assistant who was all of nineteen and lived online." And she had dated Qrow. The man had texted like other people spoke. The changeling had had to keep up just to attempt flirting with him. She had put a lot of effort in trying to woo him in the first place.

"I still can't figure out half the things they say and I have a house full of teenagers at times." And an office. Toby had to admit that it was nice to have people around but she could not figure out what anything meant. Yang had a thing about trap cards that Toby had never figured out. Toby finished off her coffee and placed her mug on a coaster on the side table. She hated social media too but she didn't want to sound grumpier than she already was on the subject. The stuff had their uses too. Modern day idiots posted the stupidest shit and it made tracking someone a lot easier for her.

Ozpin likes this.
  10. Ozpin

Ozpin RWBY

Professor
    Race:
    Human V1.0
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good

"And if some of them could have had real sheep, they would have." Oz countered in good humor, raising his brows. Then his expression softened somewhat. "A job is a job, Toby. Trust me, I've had plenty that I haven't been particularly proud of." Not every reincarnation came with an immediate determination to act. In many cases, Oz had been off his game for years, and content to do menial labor or else to stay out of the way while allowing whoever he shared a body with to continue living their life relatively unabated. There was no sense in holding oneself above performing jobs that one deemed beneath them. It was important, in his mind, to experience as many sides of life as he could.

The subject of modern communication made Oz smile faintly. "I was never allowed to be behind on technology. Someone quite close to me was behind a lot of our innovations, and I believe I was unjustly used as a guinea pig on multiple occasions." Not that he had ever faulted James for it, though there had been plenty of occasions when Oz had endured updates to systems he already liked perfectly well with something less than an entirely forgiving smile. Now and then, he had grimaced through the tutorials and explanations, and he may or may not have asked why on more than one occasion.

"Oh, I've given up on understanding teenagers and I'm surrounded by them on all sides. I've learned to grin and bear it." Oz teased. Now and then, there would be some trend that he had to notice because it came up so frequently. There were songs that came and went, which ended up lodged in his head for years at a time, usually long after they had passed out of popularity. "I suppose we shouldn't complain much. The advances in technology have made it easy for people to stay connected, even at great distance. Once upon a time, it would have been impossible..." Oz mused, looking down at his scroll with a touch of fondness. Picking it up, he turned it over in his hand. "Now we've got service wherever we are - in Remnant, I could have sent rude messages to--" Oz cut himself off abruptly, aware that he was about to tread down a path he wasn't quite ready to divulge to someone he didn't know well.

Flashing Toby a smile, he stood up. "If you'd like to come with me to the classroom, Ms Daye, I believe we had best get this show on the road before you and Henry fall asleep there. The rest of this can wait." He waved a hand at the last few papers dismissively.

Toby Daye likes this.
  11. Toby Daye

Toby Daye October Daye

Private Investigator
    Race:
    Changeling
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    A job was a job and Toby would never deny that. There were plenty of people in faerie who thought the same or the polar opposite. It all depended on their standing in the world, where they came from, and how stubborn they chose to be. Not a lot of non-royals let themselves be stubborn. They had been beaten down into "place" more often than not that it was safer to just be "what they were born to be". Toby had never been good at accepting those sorts of things.

She grinned as he explained his friend. Whoever it was, Toby probably could have used a friend like him. Someone to keep her up to date on technology. Perhaps someone she would listen to a little more directly than she did with Stiles. He was a good kid, a really good kid, but sometimes he spoke and Toby had no idea what he was talking about. Pandora didn't translate and that left the two of them staring at each other, trying to figure out how to communicate correctly about right clicks, left clicks, and computer basics. Twitter was still a madness that Toby had not figured out in the least bit.

Oz started listing all the amazing things that technology had brought and Toby nodded along, agreeing with him all the way. There was always good and bad about everything. You just had to weigh the pros and cons for yourself before deciding what to do about it all. Sent rude messages-- Toby snickered from the couch and let him trail off without saying anything. Sending rude messages had been one of those things she did enjoy. She had flipped Oz off through a picture once upon a time and the changeling had to wonder what she had to do in order to get Oz to text her rude things. A thought for another day.

"Alright, alright." Except it was time to learn. Some of those nerves that Toby had been wearing earlier showed back up and the brunette gently eased herself away from Henry before standing. Dusting off all the dog fur, or at least attempting to, as she followed the wizard from his office. She wasn't nearly as bad as she had been when she first walked in but there was a certain amount of tension that rode her shoulders.

Mostly because of Qrow. Mostly because she had no idea where the huntsman was in relation to where they were currently. If they hadn't broken up, if things hadn't gone south, would Toby even be here or would Qrow have been the one to teach her about her aura? It didn't matter. None of it did. She tucked her hands back into her hoodie pockets and simply followed. "I haven't had a school taught lesson since I was seven." It was an off hand comment, just to bring a little bit of humor into the situation and to help take her mind off her ex. Anything to help with that.

Ozpin likes this.
  12. Ozpin

Ozpin RWBY

Professor
    Race:
    Human V1.0
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good

Whereas Oz could see Toby tensing as they walked out of the office, he grew more and more relaxed as he led her down the hall to the classroom, pushing open the door and waving her and Henry inside as he flicked on the lights. It still reminded him of Beacon in some ways. There wasn't quite as much space as the combat theater he was used to, but the front of the room was still wide enough to teach young people how to control their auras without risking too much property damage.

Turning on his heel, Oz smiled at Toby. "This isn't going to be like a school lesson, Ms Daye. Consider it more a case of a friend helping a friend. Primarily because I regrettably do not have the authority to give you detention for being a brat." He teased, leaning against his cane and waving his free hand on a wide arc around him. Systematically, the chairs and desks that dotted the forefront of the classroom folded themselves and soared to the edges of the room, leaving a broad, open space.

"Now then. Have you ever received any kind of formal training, Toby? Martial arts, boxing, mixed hand-to-hand...?" He already suspected her answer, but Oz was obliged to ask. It would give him a better idea of just how much work they had ahead of them to get her to a point where he felt confident that she wasn't flying by the seat of her pants. "It's okay if you haven't. It's really not that important - I just need to know what kind of basics you've learned, beyond whatever you've mimicked with your semblance." Her semblance gave her the actions, but not the knowledge and skill behind them. It was no different than someone who could copy a piece of art perfectly, but who couldn't draw their own worth a damn.

It was very impressive, but a bit cheap and hollow after a while.

Toby Daye likes this.
  13. Toby Daye

Toby Daye October Daye

Private Investigator
    Race:
    Changeling
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    A friend helping a friend. Toby offered Oz a smile in return for that statement even if he was teasing her about being a brat moments later. Toby... Toby could be a brat. She wouldn't deny that much. The brunette had a number of situations that she had been bratty. "I'll try and reign it in." A light hearted joke and the changeling felt better... again. Oz was pretty good at this, wasn't he?

She glanced around the classroom they were in but it seemed pretty normal to her. Probably helped that the brunette had been to Schola a number of times before. That first time re-meeting Qrow after everything that had happened with Roy... seeing him walk around the workshop, helping his students, there had been genuine care in the man then and Toby had been drawn to that at the time. But the magic Oz did? Well, that was something entirely different and Toby couldn't help if she watched the way everything moved with a little bit of awe in her eyes. Oz must have had a real easy time with chores in general.

Then it was on to the meat of the situation and Toby sighed slightly. What training had she had? A slight lump formed in her throat but she was going to be as honest with Oz as she possibly could be. Without getting emotional, if she could manage. "They tried to teach me the sword and shield when I was... thirteen? Had a few tutors but it was never something I was good at." And only one had ever cared to really try. Toby had been a brat to him, there was no lying about that, and he had only hit her as much as he had smacked the other students for being brats.

"Primarily I learned... on the streets. My... Devin, he picked me up off the street and then taught me dirty knife fighting, as he called it." Toby had told Oz about Devin a bit, mostly that he had been a bad ex, but that was about it. "Qrow taught me how to shoot a gun last year... once." Just that one session. "Learning on my own is how I've survived." Sixty three years of age and what she knew had been cobbled together the hard way. "I use to hold my own pretty well in most fights before my aura. I just have a habit of hitting vitals early." Nut shots, hamstrings, eyes, nose... anything that could and would hurt instantly normally got hit as soon as possible. At least when Toby was outnumbered or over powered. No point in playing fair when her life or other lives were on the line. Not unless they were kids.

Ozpin likes this.
  14. Ozpin

Ozpin RWBY

Professor
    Race:
    Human V1.0
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good

"Sword and shield are archaic and usually more symbolic than practical nowadays - especially for your work, so don't worry about that." Oz said dismissively, sensing that this was a bit of a sore spot for Toby, He shook his head. "Luckily, you don't need to be good at anything right now. You'll get good on your own. We're just going to plant some seeds." He added cheerfully, swinging his cane absently as he spoke, finding the sharp whistle of it rather relaxing.

Oz nodded as she spoke, keeping his mouth shut for the most part and sifting through the emotional side of what she said in order to focus on the practical elements of it. "Believe it or not, dirty knife fighting, as you call it, is probably the best thing you've got going for you." He admitted with a shrug, still swinging his cane. "I'm not here to train you to go to a martial arts competition where there are set rules and boundaries. We're talking about fighting to stay alive, and to do the most damage possible in the least amount of time. In a way, I'm rather glad I don't have to unteach you the general regulations that most martial arts forms follow."

Teaching combat had always been a funny thing to Oz. On one hand, he tried to instill a sense of integrity in his students. He tried to teach them how to restrain themselves, and how to use their abilities to their utmost potential while still retaining some amount of mercy when faced with opponents weaker than themselves. On the other hand, Oz had also taught them how to do anything necessary, no matter how low, to survive a fight if they were outmatched or outnumbered. There was no honor when one was at risk of death.

"I hope you didn't expect this to be some kind of honorable lesson in ancient martial arts and self-restraint. Because it's probably going to be much more like your dirty knife fighting... with exponentially more damage."

Toby Daye likes this.
  15. Toby Daye

Toby Daye October Daye

Private Investigator
    Race:
    Changeling
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    Oz hit on all the normal points that she expected. No bad habits? He was going to learn exactly how reckless Toby could be in a fight. Or had been? She was better and worse now. Better because she had Gilly to come home to and her aura to protect her but worse because her aura made her feel like she could do almost anything. So she was more reckless in a couple of different ways and that wasn't always a good thing. At least she didn't come home covered in blood anymore.

"I'm sure what to expect, to be honest." Toby didn't have any real idea what she was doing and there was so little to go off of. She had been told bits and pieces of this or that about their home world but she also got the impression that no one expected her to pop up an aura one day. At least until Yang had taken the time to help her. It had been unexpected in so many ways and the brunette had a lot to learn about it. About herself.

But what he was suggesting? "I'm more than fine with that. I don't need fancy things. I just want to get home to my little girl after making sure other people can get home to their families too." There was another soft smile and she looked away for a second. That had been her own personal mantra in life. Everyone had a mother. Everyone had a father. They had siblings, friends, loved ones. It mattered if they didn't come home and Toby did everything she could to reunite people. That was what made her job good. It made her life worth living in so many different ways.

Maybe the family wasn't "normal". Maybe the mom was more of an auntie. Maybe the friend was an ancient wizard with a cane. People mattered to Toby. She had always done every-- not always though. Since Dare had died, Toby had always made sure to do everything she could to help others. Her fingers tightened into fists in her hoodie as she thought about it but then she dashed the memories and looked back at Oz.

"These are what I normally use." Her illusion shimmered for a second and then she was wearing a utility belt. The changeling pulled out the pistol knives... she still didn't know what to call them exactly. Qrow had named them but... Toby didn't want to call them by those names. It would likely be obvious from the make of the weapons that Qrow had been the one to craft them but there was no getting around it. Instead Toby held one out to Oz hilt first so he could get a look. "One is silver, one is iron. Bullets alternate the same materials, though I know they're not as sturdy as regular bullets... the material can make the difference here though." Maybe Oz knew about that and maybe he didn't. Toby figured if he was helping her out in general it was best for the wizard to know.

Ozpin likes this.
  16. Ozpin

Ozpin RWBY

Professor
    Race:
    Human V1.0
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good

Oz took a deep breath, then leveled an honest stare at Toby. "When families would express interest in having their children attend one of the academies in Remnant, one of the first things they were told in preparation was not to teach their children anything." He explained briskly. "I would rather you know nothing at all than have you fight me every step of the way because what I teach isn't how you were taught. Students with tremendous potential have been terribly stunted in their training because of how much time we had to waste reteaching them to fight the right way." Oz folded his arms and quirked a brow with a meaningful look.

"That you don't know what to expect is perhaps the greatest gift you could give me as a teacher, Toby. It's not a bad thing." He concluded simply, returning to swinging his cane in rapidly, whistling arcs at his side. Oz flashed her a warm smile. "There's nothing fancy about what I teach. It just looks fancy once you're good at it." He stated merrily, before taking a step forward to take the weapon from her gingerly, turning it over in his hand. Without thinking much of it, Oz began to flip it gracefully through the air in a series of rapid, fluid motions, testing the balance on it and juggling it flawlessly with his cane.

He caught it again, and absently raised it to eye level, checking the sights. It was solid, as he expected from something Qrow had made. Simple, but good, and probably well-fitted to Toby. "That doesn't surprise me. In Remnant, bullets tend to be less sturdy, as you put it, compared to the ones you would be familiar with. Many of our weapons combine them with Dust, for added effects, but it does reduce the concussive effect of the bullet itself. Very helpful when fighting Grimm, but perhaps a bit less so in your line of work." He shrugged. Even if they weren't as dense as the bullets of Toby's world, they were still able to do plenty of damage against the average person. Even against an aura, they wouldn't be easy to shake off, as long as she had a good shot.

"And do you want to use these?" Oz asked her bluntly, holding the weapon out for her to take back. "Be honest. If you don't, we can find something else, or else improvise with your semblance." Goodness knew that Toby could be a destructive force with nothing but a set of reinforced gloves and a few sessions of mimicking complex maneuvers.

Toby Daye likes this.
  17. Toby Daye

Toby Daye October Daye

Private Investigator
    Race:
    Changeling
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    Oz... was certainly a teacher. Maybe the better word was professor but Toby knew better than to interject while he was going. That was instinct rather than anything else. Oz was doing her a favor, a favor from a friend, and Toby could be respectful enough to listen when he was speaking. Even if wrapping her mind around a little parts was a little difficult to keep up with. Oz spoke in a rather matter of fact manner and she appreciated it but... she really had no idea what she was doing with any of this.

Her eyes flicked slightly as the professor spun her pistol knife. Her semblance kicking in and taking in the movements even if it was something far more flashy than what she would ever use in a fight. Still... she enjoyed using her semblance. She enjoyed figuring it out. Toby thought of it like muscle building. The more you used it, the better your use was, and that had been the case with most things so what was the difference here?

But perhaps a little bit less so in your line of work. "I've handled just as many monsters as I have the humanoid ones. Big, bad, and ugly seems to translate to several different worlds but don't ever go into a river after a kelpie... and trolls are terrible to take down." She was still smiling and had been through out Oz's lecture but she didn't want to concentrate on human baddies either. If that could help him fine tune the process then that sounded better to Toby.

Then Oz asked the question that Toby had been asking herself for awhile. Did she want to use these weapons? There had been sentiment to them once upon a time, just as the knives before them had had meaning. The knives she used to kill Blind Michael. The weapons that Qrow had made for her. Stepping up between the two had helped Toby out immensely but now she was different. Did she need another upgrade?

"I'm not sure." Because it wasn't that they weren't useful it was just... difficult for her to find people who already used similar weapons online. Now that Toby was able to use them faster and she felt more clumsy for it. Hand to hand was just a little more useful in the fact she could find decent amounts of videos on it. "Sometimes I do feel like I need something a bit bigger." Toby ignored the dirty joke that cropped up in her mind for five seconds but there might have been a flicker of emotion across her face all the same. "I'm not looking for a crazy big broadsword but these blades aren't enough sometimes." What was she even talking about?

Toby's cheeks colored slightly as she tried to figure out what she meant. "Like something that could... turn into other things to use in a variety of styles or... I dunno." Toby was talking about something kind of like Qrow's... but not as flashy or as big, basically. She also didn't even know what she would need for that. What kind of blade or gun or... whatever else. Not a scythe. Toby thought that was hilariously flashy. Still.

But Toby still wasn't entirely certain what she meant so when she locked eyes with Oz again she shrugged. She had no clue how else to explain it.

Ozpin likes this.
  18. Ozpin

Ozpin RWBY

Professor
    Race:
    Human V1.0
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good

Lecturing was Oz's curse, and he did it to everyone he met, even when he consciously tried not to do it at all. It just came out of his mouth like word vomit, and there was no stopping the flow of words and ideas and education, and he usually just had to avert his eyes when he realized he was boring people. Because shutting up just wasn't an option.

"Then you may find these bullets more helpful than I expected." Oz demurred politely. He didn't presume to really know Toby especially well. He knew her better than most people knew each other after a month, and Oz thought he could read a lot about her in her speech and mannerisms, but there were many things that he simply didn't know at all. Case and point, that her job involved dealing with anything beyond humanoid creatures.

He observed the weapons as she spoke and expressed her tentative uncertainty about them, reserving his opinion until Toby was done trying to express herself. Oz offered her a thin smile, and canted his head as he met her gaze warmly. "So, perhaps daggers rather than knives? Or shortswords? Do you want to be able to throw them, or do you still want the gun option? What else would you have them turn into?" He asked his questions quickly, one right after the other. Oz had seen so many bizarre weapons in his time that he really didn't have much to go on, based on what Toby was telling him.

"You know, I can give you leg up with these, using your semblance." Oz offered helpfully, gesturing to the weapons. "I've used similar. Perhaps you would find them more comfortable if you had a better range of use to build off."

Toby Daye likes this.
  19. Toby Daye

Toby Daye October Daye

Private Investigator
    Race:
    Changeling
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    Toby had gone up against such a variety of things. Zombies, demons, warlocks, eldritch gods, cults... the list went on and on. She had taken on Algar... though not easily and with molotov cocktails instead of her blades because that was just what had been on hand. Toby's knives wouldn't have done anything and her bullets barely made the thing hesitate. But fire? Fire had certainly worked.

Oz quickly launched through a list of different weapons and Toby instantly felt a little overwhelmed. She had very little concept of what kinds of things could be done or what weapons would be the most common or what she would be decent at. Ideas popped through her mind at each suggestion but one thing Oz had said stood out. "Short swords... maybe? Guns too. I don't want to throw them. I don't like the idea of being unarmed." Which made sense in her mind even if she didn't quite make the connection that with her aura she would never be fully unarmed.

But the idea of short swords? Color appeared on her cheeks again, excitement managing to push it forward even if she was still a little overwhelmed by the idea of longer blades. But if she could have them collapse in some manner then maybe it wouldn't be that different from what she wore now. Could she have the blades change length? Knife then short sword? What other things would help?

"Uhmm..." She looked down at the blade in her hand and then shrugged again. Before starting to toss it in the exact same manner that Oz had been earlier. While thinking out loud. "Would there be a way to have guns, short swords, and knives? Like different blade lengths?" Different blade lengths could be helpful in a number of different situations. She could ask for one to be iron and one to be silver... that seemed to be something Toby wasn't willing to give away.

It wouldn't help in the moment though. "I mean it's probably good to work with what I've got for now and then I can look into something like that. Somewhere." Qrow was the only person she would have thought of but Toby was not going to buy a pair of weapons from the Huntsman. No matter what business he was starting up that was just a bad idea. She didn't want to force him to do anything. She didn't want to affect his life anymore. There had to be other weapon smiths in Pandora that could do similar things.

Ozpin likes this.
  20. Ozpin

Ozpin RWBY

Professor
    Race:
    Human V1.0
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good

Oz nodded as Toby spoke, noting the way she was spinning her weapons in the exact same manner he had just a few moments earlier. It was eerie to watch, knowing that she had, in a split second, essentially stolen years of training and discipline with no effort at all. What Oz had had to practice and perfect, Toby just watched and mimicked.

He could see where her semblance could potentially breed it's own kind of arrogance. He could see it very well.

"Toby, I've seen scythes that become swords that become guns, and that's quite mild for Remnant. We could certainly achieve what you want, though I'm not nearly as fast at weapons manufacturing as Qrow. Apparently I overthink." He wrinkled his nose slightly, clearly disagreeing with that sentiment.

He nodded with a touch of relief when she mentioned keeping what she had for the time being. "Sleep on it, Ms Daye. You should never choose a weapon lightly, not should you allow someone else to choose it for you." He raised his brows slightly at that, then spun his cane in a few rapid circles before pointing it at her.

"Now then. On to business? I don't have all evening to spend with you, unfortunately."

Toby Daye likes this.