By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box.
Only the box is a world of its own.
We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.
Want to add a quote? Submit them here!
  1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. It's Activity Check Time! November 1-7
    Click here to save your characters!
  3. The new season is here and there's a whole new world to explore!
    Check out the Season Updates HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Pandora is broken.
    Read More Here!
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Family Shopping

Discussion in 'Threads of Time' started by Will Graham, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Will Graham

Will Graham Hannibal

Investigator of Dpt. of Intelligence
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    August 14th, Year 6 / 4:20 PM
    @Abigail Hobbs

Shopping was never Will’s forte. Back home, the few times he went shopping for anything remotely as a gift had been when he was a teenager and it was the wedding for a colleague of his father, or something his dogs needed, or…when he impulsively bought one for Abigail.

He’d been thinking of buying something for Abigail and Hannibal, but he still didn’t know what. Hannibal had certain tastes and while wine is a neutral option, he’d like to give something that had more...that was more useful than alcohol. The same went for Abigail, as he wasn’t too certain what she liked as well. Despite getting closer to both her and Hannibal, he didn’t know what was a safe option. He didn’t want to give something to her that she’d end up disliking or worse, reminded of home.

So, when the month of the wedding came even closer, he texted Abigail and asked if she wanted to help him out choose a gift for the wedding. They could always buy something generic like a few plates or something, but again, this wasn’t his forte.

He met with Abigail after lunch, at the fountain. He’d finished writing reports that morning and he told them to call him if something comes up. Will can spare a few hours of his time for this—he did want to spend more time with Abigail.

Which reminded him to call Hannibal for...suit shopping. And maybe a dance lesson. Oh, god, that would have be embarrassing.

They were at a shop that sold items for a new household—like plates, bath items and the like. He felt like a fish out of water. He glanced over to Abigail and gave a small smile. “Do you think this would be good?” He was holding a white ceramic bakeware that looked like it had to have a lid as well.

#1 Will Graham, Nov 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    Abigail Hobbs likes this.
  2. Abigail Hobbs

Abigail Hobbs Hannibal

Student
    Race:
    Human
    Abigail was glad for another chance to be spending time with Will. He wanted her opinion on a wedding gift for a friend and that was a highly personal decision, more so than if he asked for help purchasing something more generic. It showed he trusted and valued her. She would not let him down. She studied the item in his hand carefully, trying to call upon what she'd learned from Hannibal about bakeware. "Ceramic is a good choice. It should heat evenly." She said slowly.

"May I take a look?" She waited for him to hand it to her and then inspected it carefully. "It has a non-stick coating. That's good. It'll stand up to everyday use and they won't have to use as much better or oil. Unless they want to." Not every meal had to be healthy, even Hannibal's cooking could be very indulgent. She held it up and looked at the bottom. "And yup, there's a dishwasher safe tag." She gave a him an encouraging smile. "We'd have to find the lid for it though. And do your friends like white? The black is nice too." She looked back down at the table, moving things around to find that lid and giving Will a chance to look at the black option.

She thought for a minute. "I've been thinking your friends would be like Hannibal." She had assumed he was attracted to that type for friendship or more. "I should have asked, do your friends do much baking and cooking?"

Will Graham likes this.
  3. Will Graham

Will Graham Hannibal

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    Will gave her the bakeware to her, feeling that she was way more dependable on this than he was. He trusted her and since she lived with Hannibal, she knew a lot more about what the pros and cons of this were.

Abigail gave him the black variant of this cooking equipment and inspected it. It looked alright, but Will didn’t really have an eye for this like others. “I don’t know if they have a preference. Don’t they say black goes with everything? Although white might be better help to see if there are any stains left...” Unless that was for clothes? But he feels that black might fit more for them.

At her question about his friends, Will shook his head. “I...I don’t think so. We’re kind of friends? Not like me and Hannibal. I met the groom when I was a teacher and he then became my colleague. I only met his girlfriend once and that was when he’d been in the hospital after being attacked.”

Will sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. “I just thought something like this would fit since married couples move in together. My dad used to say that ‘if you don’t know what to buy for a wedding, get something useful in everyday life’.”

4. Abigail Hobbs

Abigail Hobbs Hannibal

Student
    Race:
    Human
    Abigail smiled. "Then maybe black's the better choice. In case there's a stain that won't wash out. But don't tell Hannibal I said that. He'd be horrified at the idea." She gave Will a wink and chuckled. She didn't really think anything could horrify Hannibal. The idea of leaving a dish not perfectly clean would bother him though. She could picture him tidying up a murder scene and not only to make sure no evidence was left behind.

There was an unexpected feeling of satisfaction that Will wasn't as close with these friends. As though she had picked up from Hannibal - the feeling of wanting Will all to their own little family, a monopoly over him with no outside intruders. She did her best not to let it show on her face, feigning sympathy.. "I'm sorry she was attacked. She must have recovered well. She's able to trust someone enough to marry them." She didn't know if she'd ever be able to do that. Any potential relationship would have worried that she'd start to become like her father, end up killing her spouse as he did her mother. The only bonds she saw for herself now was with Will and Hannibal, because they understood her past.

"That sounds like good advice. And you can't wrong with this." She gestured to the bake ware. "Everybody's got to eat." She didn't consider people who ate at restaurants. She was so used to her father and Hannibal making all the meals. "What was your dad like?" She couldn't remember him mentioning his father before. The impact of one's parents, especially fathers, was so often on her mind. A part of her wondered what kind of nature or nurture produced Will's empathy.

Will Graham likes this.
  5. Will Graham

Will Graham Hannibal

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    Will couldn’t help but chuckle with Abigail on her comment. “If Hannibal would consider anything a nightmare, it’d be stains.” It’d be an insult to the man, to see a stain in the bake ware. It’d bother him to no end. Will recalled how Hannibal had been in their sessions and how he’d make sure everything was neat and tidy on his desk. He was sure the man had a bit of a compulsion for that.

He frowned a bit at her response before he realized his error. “Oh, no. He—Light—was the one who was hospitalized. Rebekah—his girlfriend—had found him, so I questioned her about what had happened. Sorry for mixing that up. But...yeah; it took him a while before he got closure.” And it was good he finally did. Better to know the man that almost killed you was gone as well, than knowing who it was and to not be able to do anything.

Will stopped peering at the item before he took a deep breath—a sense of...calm washing over him. Not many asked about his dad and it’s definitely have been a while since he thought about him. “My dad was a boat mechanic and a fisherman. He was the one who taught me how to make a lure and how to tell which pipe would fit in which motor.”

He smiled as a wave of nostalgia came to him and he reminisced. “He worked long hours, and due to his work, we’d move a lot. But when we’d catch a big fish, we’d always cook it together and just sit by the porch as the sun would go down. He tried his best. He was...normal.”

6. Abigail Hobbs

Abigail Hobbs Hannibal

Student
    Race:
    Human
    "Definitely." Abigail grinned and nodded, picturing Hannibal donning one of his plastic suits to attack the stains with a powerful cleanser with the same strength he'd put into a kill.

"I see that word closure in a lot of the psychology books I've been reading." Abigail knew she'd never completely escape her past and her father. He was a part of her now, in her mind. She had to wonder if closure could exist for herself or for Will with his empathy - especially with Hannibal and his violence in their lives, a part of their family. She didn't want Will chasing an impossible goal. "There are different ideas on what it is, what it means. I don't know if I believe in it. Instead of closure, I think we find ways to live with the bad stuff. Maybe we even evolve and become stronger because we have to." She paused, wondering if that sounded too off-topic. "Your friend must be in a good place now, getting married and all."

Abigail smiled. That was much better that what her own father had taught her, especially when it came to lures. "Sounds like he was a good dad." She'd have to suggest to Hannibal that after their next meal with Will, they watch a sunset together and make another new association of them as a family for Will. She could take another fishing trip with Will too, after the wedding. "That's what I wanted. The normal life. It's what Hannibal's trying to give me. He could use someone like your dad, or you, to give him some balance. Someone to remind him it's okay to simply sit on a porch after dinner and relax." Instead of planning his next crime.

Will Graham likes this.
  7. Will Graham

Will Graham Hannibal

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    Abigail’s words rang true. For some people, closure wasn’t enough—sometimes, due to circumstances, you had to adapt. And as Abigail said, evolve and become. “Change can be good,” he replied softly, before she changed the subject. Will simply nodded, “Yeah, I hope so.”

Will had been a bit concerned that if he talked about his dad, she’d think of how her father had been like, but from what he could see and deduce, she didn’t have a problem. “He tried to be.”

With what her father had done to her and other innocent people, Will understood completely why she’d want a normal life. Will was glad that Hannibal was helping her, by letting her stay at his house and teaching her new things...and yet, Will was worried of trying to take a more active part in Abigail’s life. She was, technically, an adult and she could easily go off on her own, start a new life she can call her own…

“True, though old habits die hard. You and I lived a more usual way of lifestyle, while Hannibal...” Will began but stopped midway when he realized, he didn’t know what kind of life Hannibal had have. Only bits and pieces.

“Hannibal’s probably lived a very different way.” He tapped his fingers against the edge of a pan. “But that doesn’t mean we can’t try it,” he said with a smile. It’d be interesting to see the doctor unwind.

Laura likes this.
  8. Abigail Hobbs

Abigail Hobbs Hannibal

Student
    Race:
    Human
    Abigail nodded, thinking back to the day she faked her death. She had been so full of hope for a new life once Hannibal told her of his plan. Long live the new Abigail Hobbs. And so far, she hadn't been disappointed. "It really can."

She looked at Will and her face shifted to a look of concern. "That sounds like the kind of thing I'd say about my dad. He was as good to me as he could be. He tried not to hurt me. And he failed." She wanted to ask if Will's father had failed him too. It felt like it might be too much prying. She'd wait to see if he volunteered any details.

Abigail had to hold in a laugh. Hannibal lived a more different, unusual way than Will meant. She became more serious as she considered Hannibal's life before they met. "I think he had been alone for a long time before I moved in with him back home. After Mischa, it must have been hard for him to think of having a family again, at least until he met me, met us. He surrounded himself with art, music, gourmet food, all the fancy stuff. Kept himself busy." There was no need to specify that he busied himself with killing. "But it was a lonely life. He's not lonely now."

She nodded and returned his smile, co-conspirators in helping Hannibal relax. "It's a plan then."

Will Graham likes this.
  9. Will Graham

Will Graham Hannibal

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    At the mention of her father, Will decided to tread carefully about that subject. “It wasn’t like that. My dad didn’t understand my...empathy. He tried, but he could only do so much. Being a single parent takes a lot out of people.” He replied, knowing all too well how much it had pained his dad to never see his mother again. It was sad, seeing a man who was so in love to become a shell of who he once was, and yet still tried for his kid.

Will never did manage to tell his dad how much he cared about him.

When Abigail talked about Hannibal, Will understood that there was more to the man than what he appeared to be. He had sophisticated tastes and enjoyed the finer things in life, but Hannibal was still human. Giving some normality to his life is what he and Abigail could do, but that name she said…

Will frowned in confusion as he asked, “Who’s Mischa?”

10. Abigail Hobbs

Abigail Hobbs Hannibal

Student
    Race:
    Human
    "It must have been hard. It sucks when no one understands you, especially when you don't understand yourself." Abigail said softly. It was a feeling that she knew very well. Her parents had been her world and she never felt understood by them. Her mother hadn't known the whole truth and her father was too obsessed with his idealized version of his daughter to get to know the real Abigail. There was a great deal that Hannibal could help Will to see about himself, in the same way that Hannibal was helping her now.

"I mean, as a kid, you would have still been figuring out who you were and how you fit into things." She added, not wanting Will to take offense, even though she believed that it was true now too. "It would have been easier if he could have understood your empathy and been able to guide you." He'd have that soon. Things would be much simpler when they could be honest with him and help him to see his destined role in their family. Hannibal would tell her when the time was right.

"His sister." Abigail answered. "Hannibal was like a single parent to her. If it did take a lot out of him, it gave him a lot too, if that makes sense." She liked to think she had that same effect on Hannibal, that he benefited from the parent-child dynamic that they'd created as much as she did.

Will Graham likes this.
  11. Will Graham

Will Graham Hannibal

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    Abigail’s words rang more true than she ever knew. “It would have been. The only thing one can do in this situation is accept it...or find people who understand.” While Will has lived the majority of his life this way; with only his dogs as company and basically being an outsider by most...sometimes, he did want someone to see him.

And he feels that he can be himself with Abigail and Hannibal.

“I...I didn’t know that he had a sister.” Will replied softly, taking in this new information. The choice of words weren’t lost on him and it did enlightened him on a few things. Like how the man treated Abigail like a father, so easily.

It made him realize that he didn’t know Hannibal as much as he thought he did. It also made him feel strange. Was it because he learned Hannibal had a sister or was it because of him learning it from Abigail and not the doctor himself?

12. Abigail Hobbs

Abigail Hobbs Hannibal

Student
    Race:
    Human
    "Finding people who understand is the better option." Abigail gave him a little smile. She may not say it out loud either - she also believed that she and Hannibal could understand Will. He could have a better future when all of his gifts were understood and appreciated, nurtured by Hannibal instead of simply accepted.

"He doesn't mention her often. I think it's hard for him." Abigail said the words quietly. Admitting anything was difficult for Hannibal was not to be overheard by any shopping strangers. "She's only in his memory palace now. And he keeps the door to her room locked, most of the time."

The memory palace was another part of Hannibal's life that he might not have mentioned to Will. Yet. It could help Will though. She was sure his empathy led to him to have certain people in his mind that he would want to lock away in a palace room, especially her father. And perhaps a few others that would get a beautiful room with a wide open door. The people he'd be afraid to develop attachments with in any other way. Once he was a part of their family, 'normal' relationships with others would be more complicated. They couldn't let anyone be too close. None of Will's friends, not even those they were buying a wedding present for now, could be allowed to know Hannibal's secrets.

Will Graham likes this.
  13. Will Graham

Will Graham Hannibal

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    At her words, his hand instinctively moved towards hers, but he hesitated before he let it linger besides her own hand. If she wanted to hold hands, then she can accept it. He didn’t want to push her into any uncomfortable territory.

It was still strange to hear that Hannibal had a sister. From the little he understood, she passed away...maybe even from a young age, since Abigail said that he was like a father to her. Hannibal had been older, and he remembers when he and the doctor talked about family, during his case with the Lost Boys...that he had lost his parents at a young age.

Could he have lost Mischa when his parents died? Or did that happen afterwards?

Will decided to comment on the mind palace to shift the mood of the conversation, “Mind palace...I think he mentioned it? Once? I can’t remember.”

14. Abigail Hobbs

Abigail Hobbs Hannibal

Student
    Race:
    Human
    Abigail took his hand, feeling encouraged by the gesture. He was agreeing with her, wasn't he? That the both of them, even all of three of them, could understand each other.

"It's a way to remember people. You create a place in your mind. It doesn't have to be a palace really. As long as it has rooms. Everyone gets their own room." Abigail did her best to explain. "Then you picture yourself walking through the place. You can visit each room whenever you want. I can imagine myself seeing my Mom. Or Marissa." She felt a sudden pang of guilt as she mentioned Marissa, more so than with her mom. It was harder to remember her friend because she was knew Hannibal had killed her so horribly, and yet Abigail was still so attached to Hannibal.

"And you can lock away other rooms and never visit them." Her father was locked away. Maybe someday she'd accept his love and find a place for it as Hannibal had once suggested. For now, it was easier to keep thoughts of her dad down, only seeing him in her nightmares. "I think Hannibal has some rooms locked away, people and places I don't even know about."

"It might not even have to be rooms. Maybe it could be an ocean, with many rivers branched out from it Or a dog park with different paths." She gave him a smile, wanting to make the conversation light again. She also wanted to make the palace relatable to him. One more way the three of them could connect with each other.

Will Graham likes this.
  15. Will Graham

Will Graham Hannibal

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    From what Abigail was telling him, this mind palace was a way to organize your memories. Keeping things that are important: information, places, dates...and apparently, people. He pressed his lips together in tension when she mentioned her mother and Marissa. Both people he couldn’t save...the latter being murdered by the Copycat.

But the young woman still talked about it enthusiastically. He wondered at the mention of locked doors and rooms, if Hannibal had a room for his sister, but was locked. Will smiled and chuckled as Abigail continued using other locations for something like a mind palace.

“All I would need is a stream. I usually do that...imagine that I’m back home, fishing in the stream near my house in Wolf Trap. It’s been a long time since then.”

------------------
    OOC: I think we can wrap up the thread in a couple of posts. c:

16. Abigail Hobbs

Abigail Hobbs Hannibal

Student
    Race:
    Human
    Abigail returned his smile, looking pleased at his answer. Internally, she thought it was almost sad. She found everything she'd dreamed of in Pandora - the chance to attend college, Hannibal as her family and the freedom she'd craved back home. There was a future full of possibilities ahead for as well, once she graduated. Will, on the other hand, had left his dream back in Wolf Trap and everything that was important to him could fit into a stream.

"Do you ever imagine other things?" Abigail asked. She knew what answers she hoped to hear, and was genuinely curious about what he wanted too.

She noticed that the store was becoming more crowded as they talked. "Perhaps we should finish shopping, before a long line forms to pay." She suggested. She doubted Will would want to stand among other people for long. "Did you decide on the white or the black dish?"

------------------
    OOC: I think so too.

Will Graham likes this.
  17. Will Graham

Will Graham Hannibal

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    At Abigail’s question, Will replied, “I don’t know. Sometimes, I guess—but I tend not to think about it that much.” It was the most neutral answer he could say. Of course he’s imagined some things; both in their own world and here. But they take macabre twists and turns that his imagination could take.

As he noticed the incoming crowd as well, he agreed with Abigail. “Yeah, you’re right. I think white is a good, safe option.” He didn’t want to continue this conversation with all these people, so it was better to wrap things up.

As time passed, they finally bought the dish, having it gift wrapped in a box and made their way outside. It was still a nice day, despite the weather being pretty hot. An idea came to his mind and he asked, “Hey, do you want to get some ice cream?”

18. Abigail Hobbs

Abigail Hobbs Hannibal

Student
    Race:
    Human
    "Oh." Abigail said quietly. She partially understood. Her imagination wasn't as creative as Will's or Hannibal's dark visions of 'art' with his victims. She did have her own dark moments usually when her nightmares lingered in the morning and turned into daydreams. Even with the support of Hannibal, she still worried about her father showing up from a point of time before he died, or one of his or her own victims. Alana telling Will about the window or Jack telling him about framing him with her own ear would be very harmful to the family she wanted.

Once they were outside, all of her dark thoughts slipped out of her mind, waiting for another day to haunt her. Right now, there was fresh air and the offer of ice cream. What could be more wholesome family time than that? Abigail smiled and nodded. "I'd love to."

OOC: I think this is finished?

Will Graham likes this.