HeaderBox1

Welcome
to Pandora

By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box. Only the box is a world of its own.

We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.

Want to add a quote? Submit them here!

1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. This beautiful little ranch along with its famous Lon Lon milk are back! Just don't harass the Cuccos. Make sure to visit while it's still here!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. A voice has begun narrating the inner thoughts of the citizens of Pandora! Read more about it here
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Pandora is searching for staff.
    Click here for more information!

Private Fixer-Upper

Discussion in 'Cascade Bay' started by Pidge, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Pidge

Pidge Voltron: Legendary Defender

Paladin of Voltron
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    September 3rd, Year 7
    @James Kirk & @Odi

Pidge wasn't expecting much turn out, if she was being honest. After all, she had only just started advertising and being fifteen and all didn't earn her any automatic credit. She already had that statistically figured out; she determined it would probably take a couple of good recommendations from daring customers before most people trusted her with something more complex than a faulty computer. All the same, it was better to just get started. She wouldn't get any business at all otherwise.

She was set up in the garage, all her projects spread out across the table propped up in the middle with a sign out by the street pointing her out. As of now, she didn't have the money, nor the ability to rent a shop for herself in town. But she was starting to work as a waitress on the side, and was close to finally being labeled as an 'adult' here in this world (the test wasn't that hard for her after all, even in her world she had been several grades ahead at the Garrison), so it wouldn't take long before she would be able to get her own shop. The thought was exciting! Over the past few days Pidge had probably talked the boys' ears off about the plans she had already laid out.

It was about lunch time, and Pidge had her feet propped up on the table, fiddling with the screws on one of her inventions with a sandwich in her other hand. She had been trying to fix her newest invention, a sort of automatic lock-picker. It worked, but not in the way she wanted. Every time it was inserted, it didn't just pick the lock but completely mangled it. Letting out a little frustrated grunt as she worked, she shoved the sandwich into her mouth to free up both hands. Just as she did, she heard her first customers amble up. Not looking up from her lock-picker, voice muffled by the sandwich shoved in her mouth, she greeted them. "Beef wibf you im a secfonbd."

Odi likes this.
  2. Odi

Odi Humans

Race:
    Synthetic
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good

[​IMG]
    The prospect that he may finally be fixed was exciting to him, excitement something that was admittedly rather new to Odi. As a matter of fact, he didn't quite know what to call it at first and, upon attempting to describe it to Jim, had learned that it may have been the equivalent of the excitement that humans felt. And why not? Why not excitement when he had experienced things like fear, confusion, and crippling hopeless sadness?

He really did miss George.

The particular individual they were going to see today was set up in a funny building rather like a garage right there in town, rather conveniently placed for somebody such as Odi who could not travel very far. Certainly not when his limbs weren't quite right. Any attempts he made at walking were more like a very slow hobble and most obviously wrong was his arm, which was bent up at an angle not necessarily considered unnatural. But it was just stuck.

"Hello," he called quietly after the voice, muffled by whatever lunch it was she was eating. His own was, on the contrary, rather slow and careful. "May I inform you of the fact that taking care to chew and swallow your food before you speak is a tremendously useful precaution to keep yourself from choking? More than five thousand deaths were a result of choking in the year 2015 ..."

Pidge likes this.
  3. James Kirk

James Kirk Star Trek

Race:
    Human
    Directory:
    link

"Odi I don't really think she's interested in hearing about her odds of choking." His tone was kind even as he cut the synth off, his expression hovering somewhere between amusement and exasperation. He liked Odi - he really did - but his tendency to mother was something Jim wouldn't mind having toned down. Or turned off. Turned off would be good. (Although, admittedly, his version of mothering was much better than Bones'. He hadn't tried to stab him with a needle even once so far.)

The girl wasn't exactly what he'd expected but that was just his own bias talking, and Jim recognized it as such. Certainly the equipment spread out all around her spoke to a certain level of expertise, and given how limited his options were he'd be happy to accept any improvement she might be able to make in Odi's motor skills. "Sorry to just barge in - I'm Jim, this is Odi. We were hoping you might be able to take a look at him?" He offered the girl a cheerful smile, while at the same time keeping an eye on Odi to make sure he didn't pick up anything he shouldn't.

Pidge and Odi like this.
  4. Pidge

Paladin of Voltron
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    Although, no, Pidge was not interested in her chances of choking, it still caught her attention. Because of the weird phrasing, and how he brought it up, she glanced up from her work, which was hard to get her to do, to give him a strange look. Certainly he wasn't genuinely concerned that she would choke? Despite the fact that she wasn't concerned at all about choking, she did set down the sandwich, partly because during it's stay in her mouth it had gotten all soggy. Ew. For the moment it also seemed like she wouldn't get any more work done on her project with the entrance of the two men, so she set that down as well. Gently, of course. "Huh," was all she murmured in response to the factoid, and the other male's response.

Initially, like any normal person, she thought that the strange male standing before her was human. Judging by what the other male, Jim said however, Odi was not. Kicking off from her chair, she stood and moved around the table to get a better look. Look she did. Moments passed of just her staring, silently, at a loss for words. "Name's Pidge," she finally blurted out, sticking out her hand, just so she could get it out of the way and get to the good stuff, as well as in an attempt to seem a little less weird. Odi was indeed, not human, now that she got a closer look. Pidge would never have put it together, but the way he held himself was strangely stiff, especially his one arm, the way he had spoken had been strange as well and his skin had a plastic-y sheen to it. Quite glaringly obvious now that it was pointed out.

Rocking back on her heels, she grinned. "So, I'm assuming he's some sort of android or robot or something right?" The tone of her voice was ridiculously excited, as she addressed Jim, starting to walk (or rather, bounce) around the robot to get a better look at him. "Unique model. Very cool, I mean, I haven't seen many here yet but wow! What seems to be the problem?"

Xenial behavior unfortunately did not include immediately poking and prodding property (if Odi could be considered property, he could be conscious for all she knew, but either way, it was probably rude) that wasn't hers, even if Jim had already asked her to take a look. Yet she couldn't stop herself from getting way to close. Zealously, she hovered, just shy of touching, trying to peer up to his face (he was too tall dammit, she was gonna have to have him sit down once she got started) like she could see his inner workings if she stared hard enough.

James Kirk and Odi like this.
  5. Odi

Odi Humans

Race:
    Synthetic
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good

She was rather excited to see him, wasn’t she? Odi didn’t look especially bothered by how close she was getting to him, though he did drag his gaze momentarily over to Jim before looking back down to her. “I am an outdated model,” he informed her at the mention that he was very unique. That seemed like such a strange thing to point out when George had spent so much of the end of his life making certain that nobody came to recycle his old synth. Odi had had a special place in George’s heart.

George also had a special place in Odi’s heart.

What was wrong with him? Where could he start? There was, of course, the fact that Odi considered George to be somebody he cared greatly for. He should not have been capable of feeling such things all, though he supposed it would be easiest to start with the most obvious of issues. “My motor function is s-- severe-- severely lacking,” he finally managed. “And I seem to be stuck.” Odi was, of course, referring to the arm that was trapped in that very awkward position in front of him.

“I am also now capable of something called feeling.”

Pidge likes this.
  6. James Kirk

James Kirk Star Trek

Race:
    Human
    Directory:
    link

Well, it seemed Odi had her undivided attention, if the way she was staring at him was any indication. Jim pressed his lips together to suppress a laugh at the sight, though it was impossible to suppress the little crinkle at the corners of his eyes. "Nice to meet you, Pidge," he said as he shook her hand, then stepped back a pace to give her unfettered access to circle around the synth. It was a little vulture-like, sure, but he chalked it up to excitement and tried to look reassuring when Odi glanced his way.

"The feelings aren't something you need to fix," he tacked on after allowing Odi to speak for himself, concern drawing his brows closer together. He understood that Odi struggled with the whole idea of feeling things, but he shouldn't be considering them a problem. "They're new to him, apparently, and from what I gather sentience isn't normal for Synths - that's what they call them in his world; Synthetics - but they're a good thing, Odi." Most of the time they were good things, anyway, but he didn't think pointing out the downsides of emotions would be particularly helpful.

Jim stepped forward again, touching Odi's damaged arm. "Mostly we're hoping you might be able to do something about this, obviously it hampers his ability to do the things he wants to do, but I'm guessing he could benefit from a...a whole body tune-up, I guess?" He shrugged apologetically, uncertain of the correct terminology. "I looked him over but we don't have anything like him where I come from, and I didn't want to hurt him."

Pidge and Odi like this.
  7. Pidge

Paladin of Voltron
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    As the two explained the situation to her, Pidge settled down a little, although her eyes still sparkled with excitement. "Feelings, huh?" Pidge whistled under her breath, impressed. It wasn't often you saw a robot this complex, and it was even rarer to see one with sentience. Damn, she really wanted to get a look at his coding now. It was interesting to find out that it was also uncommon wherever Odi had come from, uncommon enough for him to think he was broken. Her gaze skipped between Odi and Jim. "Well, even if you had wanted to fix his "feelings" I'm not sure that would be in my capabilities. I don't know his primary code well enough. If I tried to change it, I'd risk making it worse." She shrugged and gave Odi an apologetic smile.

"Okay, yeah, I can definitely fix this arm." No, Pidge wasn't familiar with the specifics of his mechanics or model, but his other arm seemed to be working fine so it wouldn't be hard to get a sense of how the arm was supposed to be, and sort of mirror it. The only problem might be if repairing him required materials Pidge didn't currently possess, which wasn't difficult to rectify. She could just pop out and buy some after all. "And I can see what I can do about a full body tune-up." She bit her lip, eyes narrowing in thought as she studied Odi. "Does he have any other specific problems with moving his body?" Pidge asked Jim, before remembering she could ask Odi himself. Which was so cool.

"Uh, you said your motor function was lacking?" She asked, addressing Odi this time. "Is there anything else wrong besides your arm?" None of his other limbs were sticking out oddly so she couldn't detect any other abnormalities, but that didn't necessarily mean that there weren't any. In the mean time, Pidge gently started prodding his messed up arm. The entire situation felt sort of surreal. Here she was, getting to work with a robot that could understand and talk back. It was like an robotic engineer's wet dream. Although she felt more like a doctor than a mechanic, asking all these questions, and dealing with broken arms.

Odi likes this.
  8. Odi

Odi Humans

Race:
    Synthetic
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good

WHAT IF WE WERE ALIVE?
    it's like we were alive

It wasn’t the first time that Jim had told him that the new feelings he possessed were not something that made him broken. They were good, but they were so foreign to Odi that he struggled to truly let that sink in. He struggled to truly comprehend it in the same way that he struggled to truly comprehend these emotions themselves. How very strange they were.

What Odi did feel was a strange and foreign rush of something that felt clearly positive to him in his chest as Pidge told them that he could definitely fix his arm. He did not enjoy how much of a struggle it was to do much of anything with his arm in the unfortunate condition that it was in.

The way she addressed Jim shifted instead to addressing Odi directly and his vivid green eyes slipped back to meet hers. “My right leg is not currently capable of bending or straightening,” he explained, which had been yet another struggle he faced. At first glance, it did look rather normal, though he was also wearing a pair of jeans that hid it quite well. When he walked, though, it was obvious in the odd way that he limped. “My vision has also been somewhat compromised.” It was a very slight compromise, admittedly, and some may have claimed that Odi had never seen more clearly, but there was always a strange haze there as the green of his left eye seemed to have leaked into the whites.

Pidge likes this.
  9. James Kirk

James Kirk Star Trek

Race:
    Human
    Directory:
    link

Jim hummed a wordless assent at her query, noting from her reaction that apparently Odi was a rarity everywhere. It made him feel a little better about not knowing quite how to handle him, honestly, though she clearly understood more about what made him tick on a mechanical level, at least. He was relieved that expertise didn't extend to changing Odi's emotions, though - the last thing he wanted was some sort of unfeeling robot maid, which was what he suspected Odi would become.

"Perfect!" Jim grinned, clapping his hands together. Even if she couldn't completely fix Odi he guessed the Synth would be grateful for any improvement to his current condition. He didn't complain - Jim wasn't entirely sure Odi was capable of complaining, period, or even being frustrated - but Odi liked helping people, and doing that would be so much easier with a properly working arm. (Also, selfishly, Jim wouldn't have minded their walks having a slightly quicker clip; Odi did his best to keep up, but he found himself constantly having to check his pace when they were together.)

He let Odi speak for himself, glad that Pidge corrected herself and actually asked him, and then chimed in again. "How long do you think it'll take? We can come back if you're busy, or would it be easier to do it in stages?" Based on what was scattered around her she looked to be in the middle of about fifteen different things at the moment, but if she was anything like Scotty he though that might perhaps be her natural state. And she did seem quite excited about getting to work on Odi.

Pidge likes this.
  10. Pidge

Paladin of Voltron
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    So his leg, and his eye also had some problems as well. Pidge couldn't see the issue with his leg at the moment, with his jeans covering the area (although by his description, it sounded like it most likely was a problem with his knee joint). She could, however, see his eye. She abandoned her inspection of his arm to lean up on her tiptoes to get a better look. It was strange to see the color of his iris leaking into the rest of his eye. It reminded her almost of the yolk of an egg, the way it was leaking into the white. His eye would probably be the most difficult to repair, since beside his coding, his eyes were probably something she knew the least about. Mechanics were one thing, eyes were another. She hummed thoughtfully, and leaned back on her heels. If she was correct, the human iris was made of very small, thin, pigmented, muscle fibers. Clearly Odi's irises were made of some sort of liquid. If she could just -

'Perfect!'

She was startled out of her thoughts by Jim's loud exclamation and clapped hands, reminding Pidge that there were other people in the room. Well, person and robot. Unless Odi also counted as a person? He did have feelings and all... Although that was a thought for later. Right now she had business to deal with.

"I'm not busy," she answered immediately. No way was she waiting to get started on Odi, this all was just too exciting. At the question of how long it would take, she pursed her lips, taking a moment to walk around Odi again and study him. These two were Pidge's first ever clients, and she didn't want to mess it up by showing that. "Um, it'll take a couple of days probably, maybe more depending on what supplies I have to get - if I have to get any. And stages would probably be best. Unless you're comfortable staying here overnight, Odi?" She flashed the robot a grin, before turning on her heel.

She grabbed the chair she had been using previously, and dragged it over for Odi. "Can you sit here for me please?" She requested of the robot without looking, already turning back to get a chair for Jim, so he didn't have to stand the whole time. That is, if he chose to linger much longer. There was another chair behind the table, that she had really been using for another space to store stuff. She brushed all the clutter into her arms, and dumped it on the table, to offer it to Jim impatiently, already rearing to get started.

OOC: let me know if the time frame is okay?? it was the first to pop into my head. if you want it to be shorter, or think it should be longer, let me know and i'll change it!!

Odi likes this.
  11. Odi

Odi Humans

Race:
    Synthetic
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good

WHAT IF WE WERE ALIVE?
    it's like we were alive

"I am happy to accommodate whatever is most comfortable and convenient for you," Odi told her as he shuffled his way slowly over to the provided chair and took an equally slow, careful seat. It could be a struggle sometimes, the simple act of sitting down, although it admittedly felt different now that he had to try. He'd never had to try before, his programming had simply told him to. He wondered how susceptible he was to falling over. "If that requires I stay overnight, then I will do that. I do not sleep, but you may shut me down. If it is convenient for my system to be shut down while you work on me, I will show you how as there is no primary user manual present."

He paused. There was no primary user manual because he had no primary user. That was what Jim said and he would not lie to him.

There was a small part of him that felt something akin to what he thought might be the human equivalent of nervousness. Not quite fear because he did want this, and it wasn't that he didn't trust this funny little pixie-haired human. In fact, it took quite a lot for Odi not to trust somebody. But he had never been conscious, he had never been capable of feeling things while being worked on.

Pidge likes this.