By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box.
Only the box is a world of its own.
We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.
Want to add a quote? Submit them here!
  1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The new season is here and there's a whole new world to explore!
    Check out the Season Updates HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Pandora is broken.
    Read More Here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Pandora is searching for staff.
    Click here for more information!

Fur Flying Everywhere

Discussion in 'Pandora, Year 1 - 7' started by Leah Clearwater, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Leah Clearwater

Leah Clearwater Twilight

Guardswoman
    Race:
    Shapeshifter
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    Dec. 11th
    @Claude Frollo
    @James McGill

If Leah was anyone else, she might have considered her treatment upon getting to Pandora unfair. After getting some clothes she mostly explored the nearest town, trying to get her bearings. Not long after getting settled in somewhat, she had stumbled across something quite familiar.

With her advanced hearing, she had no trouble picking up on the sounds of someone screaming for help one night. It didn't take much thought before she started running towards the sounds at high speed, and what she saw when she made it didn't surprise her all that much.

A vampire, attacking some random innocent. Leah barely had time to disrobe before her temper flared and she turned into a wolf. Without thinking, she tackled the vampire to the ground, instantly going for the head to rip it off. Before she was able to actually kill it, it managed to grab the lid of a trash can and smash it into her head, giving it the edge needed to fling her off of it and into the puddle of blood the human had left over.

It had used the distraction to escape, and Leah realized that leaping onto the vampire had caused its fangs to be ripped so violently out of the human's arm that he didn't survive the attack. Almost as soon as she was able to stand, the watchmen found her, an angry, bloody wolf, who was having trouble calming enough to turn back to normal.

Eventually she found herself in court, something that seemed laughable to most supernatural creatures back in Forks. Those leeches thought they were above the law, and most of her pack had started leaning that way too. Leah, however, was humble enough to know that acting belligerent would only make things worse, so she complied as best she could.

It was a little insulting that part of the evidence against her was a video of her changing into a wolf, given that the people filming the video didn't seem to believe her when she said that the clothes she was given would be ruined. As such, the end of the video was a bit more revealing than the prosecution seemed to expect. And they didn't even have the decency to stop at the right moment.

But, Leah was innocent. She knew she was innocent, and it was pretty clear that she was defending the poor guy, so she stayed calm and worked with her attorney as best she could.

#1 Leah Clearwater, Dec 15, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    Claude Frollo and James McGill like this.
  2. James McGill

James McGill Better Call Saul

Independent Lawyer, Business Owner
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    True Neutral
    Directory:
    link

[​IMG]
    ~That's me in the spotlight,~
    ~Losing my religion.~

Leah Clearwater had arrived in Pandora not even a month ago, and of course, had accidentally infringed upon this crazy world's laws. That's how most of James' clients' stories went, and the lawyer was pretty sure that he had enough experience with new arrivals that he would instantly be appointed the chair of The New Citizen Welcoming Committee, if there was such a thing.

He knew that a majority of his clients' claims of innocence and not-knowing-better were false. It was a damn good excuse in court, and quite frankly, he thoroughly enjoyed using it as his defense-- even having suggested it as a strategy for a few cases, and nearly always winning when he did so.

But James knew that Leah really was new to this world, and when that truly was the case he always harbored a genuine sympathy for his clients. He had yet to meet anyone who could proclaim that they had a pleasant first few weeks in Pandora.

The whole 'supernatural-creatures-existing' thing still gave him enough of a headache to require a few glasses of wine while researching and building his defense, but he was going to do his job no matter who he was representing. It was an interesting case, despite it being one straight out of a Halloween film.

Yes, one could say Leah's case was one of those 'fresh meat' cases, though the joke wasn't very tasteful considering her charge. Homicide. Found beside a human who'd bled to death. She claimed that she had been attempting to defend the human from a vampire attack, and if that was true, James knew that the unfortunate man would have died anyway hadn't she stepped-- or leapt-- in. The hard part was that there was very little evidence of her version of the story, and a lot of evidence pointing to her as the assaulter. But James still had some ammunition up his sleeve, and he was confident he'd win the case.

James was arguing that the shapeshifter-- not werewolf, as he'd reminded the courtroom many times today-- had fended off a vampire in order to save the man's life, and therefore, should not be charged with cold-blooded manslaughter but instead a much lighter sentence, though of course Jimmy also argued that she didn't deserve punishment at all.

The attorney sat beside her at his table in the court room, noticing her insulted reactions to the video presented. It was definitely arguable that the request for her to transform on camera was on the line of infringing upon her rights and the fact that the conclusion of the stunt resulted in her being indecently exposed for a moment only gave support to that counterclaim. Leah may not have appreciated the video at all, but James was eager to use it to boost his defense and fire a counter attack. Though honestly, Leah had nothing to be embarrassed about or ashamed of in that clip.

"Your Honor, I object!"
    James barked as soon as the footage ceased, moving his contemplating fist away from his pressed lips to fan away the credibility of the film. "This video serves no purpose other than humiliating my client. She can turn into a dog, we get it!" He stood and rolled his eyes theatrically before turning his point around and taking what he could from the video. "In fact, that footage only proves that my client is not inherently aggressive when in her canine form, and remains to have full control over herself."

This case was one of his first since healing from his bullet injury. Jimmy had contemplated reminding the prosecutor, Major Lane, of that, either verbally or with a little exaggeration in his slowed movements and decreased physical energy. But then again-- he knew there was a good chance she wouldn't care nor let it affect her work. He knew first hand how difficult it was to distract her from her self-righteous mission to rid the world of injustice, and he bet that sympathy was hardly an effective distraction for her.

~Trying to keep up with you, and I don't know if I can do it~
    ~Oh no, I said too much. I haven't said enough.~

@Lucy Lane
    @Claude Frollo
    @Leah Clearwater

#2 James McGill, Dec 15, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  3. Lucy Danvers-Lane

Lucy Danvers-Lane DC Universe

Head of the Dept. of Justice
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link

Lucy did her best to resist the urge to hold her head in her hands and sigh harshly as the video continued to play. She'd given them a clear timestamp to protect the woman's modesty at the very least, but apparently directions were too much for certain members of the court to handle. With a stern glance in the clerk's direction, she rose gracefully with her hands clasped behind her back.

"For the first time today, I have to say I agree with some of Mr. McGill's observations," Lucy stated smoothly as she slowly began to walk, her heels making rhythmic clicks against the floor and her face angled more towards the judge and jury than the defendants. "Miss Clearwater obviously has control of herself in her canine form under usual circumstances, as this video has proved without a doubt. You have to wonder then what she was doing covered in the victim's blood and standing over his body bearing no small resemblance to a wild animal considering she was in full control of her actions and in a sane frame of mind." There went any insanity plea James could've angled for.

Without a beat of hesitation, Lucy continued presenting her case. She drew up a picture in their minds of a dangerous creature skillfully and most importantly willingly hunting human prey through Pandora Town, all the while Lucy herself was remembering the creature that had once hunted her own girlfriend. Or rather, she was remembering what had been left of said girlfriend after it was finished, considering it was the only trace it had left of itself before vanishing without being apprehended.

(It could be said that Lucy had a personal vendetta against supernatural creatures thinking they had the right to sink their teeth into humans, yes.)

She cast doubt on the presence of a vampire by reminding the court that McGill had stated repeatedly that she was a shapeshifter, not a werewolf. It was entirely within the realm of possibility she could've shifted her shape into a form that matched the bite marks found on the victim. On and on Lucy went, using everything in her arsenal to convince every member of the jury that Leah Clearwater had attacked and killed the victim.

James McGill and Leah Clearwater like this.
  4. Claude Frollo

Claude Frollo The Hunchback of Notre Dame

[​IMG]

Claude sighed as Mr. McGill's mouth went off yet again, he was truly getting tired of the sound of that man's voice. He was silent for a full minute after the dog comment and after Major Lane (Major Fine) had finished defending the creature's honor. As far as Frollo was concerned, it had no honor but that was beside the point.

"Mr. McGill, this is clearly not a dog. She doesn't play fetch, she doesn't dribble in a water bowl. Your mincing words and calling her a dog and shape shifter doesn't change the fact that she can morph into a wild animal, one that most people would consider to be dangerous. I would define a shapeshifter as someone who can shift more than one shape. A creature who goes from human to wolf is universally considered to be a werewolf." He cleared his throat, "Are we quite done defining simple terms now, Mr. McGill? Do we all understand the difference between dog and wolf and various shapes and wolf shaped?"

He did not wait for an answer, "I understand the concern for Ms. Clearwater's modesty, but I would like to remind everyone that she was read her rights and did not refuse to shift on camera when asked." Camera, ha, what an odd device. Frollo had been up for weeks researching the technology here, learning everything. Despite hiding it, he was constantly surprised, "She chose not to refuse, so we cannot focus on that as a play for sympathy when Mr. Blankenship can never again come home ot his wife." He ended firmly.

"Now, onto the argument about control. I don't know about you, but most people hide their true natures in front of soldi-law enforcement. The argument is she is a violent offender, not a fool." His eyebrow raised impatiently, "If we could focus on that, we might all be home in time for dinner. As I understand it, we have a witness that saw no vampire, just the wolf and Mr. Blankenship. If you would be so kind, Major Lane..." He held out a hand for her to call her witness

#4 Claude Frollo, Dec 17, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  5. Leah Clearwater

Leah Clearwater Twilight

Guardswoman
    Race:
    Shapeshifter
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    If Leah had not had almost a year to practice keeping her temper under control, she might have snarled at her own lawyer calling her a 'dog'. Those leeches back in her world called her entire pack that so many times it almost felt like a slur.

Luckily, she was able to keep enough control over herself that she simply stared at the desk in front of her, eyes tight and fingers scratching into the desk. They flexed slightly as the prosecutor insinuated that she might have turned into a vamp herself. That was probably even more offensive than being called a dog. At least that acknowledged reality and didn't put her in the same league as those creatures.

Really, she understood why trials existed, and she was in favor of them, but it was getting tedious. If she were allowed to talk, she probably would have asked Ms. Lane why she thought she had been covered in blood like she had decided to take a bath in the stuff. Oh, the lawyer probably had some explanation cooked up, but she was just dying to hear it.

The judge was really starting to piss her off, bringing up the old argument that she had just finished hearing before getting brought to Pandora. 'Oh, they're not werewolves. Their totem could have been anything, so we're just going to keep calling them dogs and belittling them despite knowing they're not our sworn enemies.'

Dicks.

And the judge just had to twist the knife further by trying to blame her for being exposed like that. As if she hadn't made it quite clear what shifting would do, and the clear understanding that she wasn't in the position of power there.

It took a lot of counting to ten to keep her from breaking the table. Her shoulders lifted and fell several times as she kept her anger under control. If she phased in the middle of court, she'd be a dead woman.

6. James McGill

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    True Neutral
    Directory:
    link

[​IMG]
    ~Losing my religion.~

"You have to wonder then what she was doing covered in the victim's blood and standing over his body bearing no small resemblance to a wild animal considering she was in full control of her actions and in a sane frame of mind."

Lucy's attempt to use his point of Leah's self control against him was not going to work. James didn't hesitate to combat her ridiculous ploy with a tired scowl and an air quote, finishing with a calmly sweeping arm to display the obvious. "No, we don't 'have to wonder.' She was defending him from a vampire who escaped!" He had already stated that to be the explanation to the situation, but Lucy seemed to enjoy thoroughly beating dead horses.

Maybe if Leah had worn a cape at the time of the rescue attempt, Major Lane would see that she was prosecuting someone who had tried to be a hero.

"Mr. McGill, this is clearly not a dog."

James felt his own breath permeate calmly through his airways as he was spoken to like a naughty child by the Judge. Not something that was new to him, but, he still didn't like it. What Jimmy liked was being the one in power and control in the courtroom. The way the tall ceilings bounced his voice back down upon the awed congregation, like he was speaking on behalf of God above... But when his weighty overconfidence caused him to slip and reveal a hint of foolishness, he could almost hear his brother's condescending snicker in the back of his mind.

Jimmy didn't often slip (unless it was to execute a con), but when he was tripped by another, by the very Judge... oho, that was not okay. He could take shit from an opposing attorney, but taking shit from a Judge was another story. He couldn't retaliate. James titled his head and mockingly brightened his humble smile at Mr. Frollo.

"I would define a shapeshifter as someone who can shift more than one shape."

Then you're an idiot, sir. James almost hummed the phrase in his throat, keeping his mouth sealed shut with a painfully fake smile brimming on his face as he let the old man continue belittling him.

"A creature who goes from human to wolf is universally considered to be a werewolf."

Suck my dick.

"Are we quite done defining simple terms now, Mr. McGill? Do we all understand the difference between dog and wolf and various shapes and wolf shaped?"

With a sigh through his nose, James prepared a wholly faked optimism in his reply. "Ye--" But the bastard cut him off and continued speaking in his deep droning condescending voice. That's it. James bit his lip and released his respectful pose, briefly opening his arms in a defeated shrug and returning to his seat beside Ms. Clearwater, trying not to appear too peeved.

Still, he sat with his weight leaning back in the chair and his arms folded, bouncing one knee and trying to find humor in the situation to replace his insulted pride. As Lucy began running her lipstick-lined mouth, James glanced over to his client, whispering only for her, "What an asshole" with a good-matured smirk, trying to cheer her up. She was very visibly upset, and he felt bad. But also, he really didn't want her to transform in court. It would not help their case, and he truly didn't know if she'd ever be enraged enough to seriously hurt a human-- namely him.

"You're going to be okay." He whispered with a small nod to comfort her, then moved one arm to the table in front of them where a folder lay closed with their ace hidden inside. "I still got this." The documents comparing the bite patterns of the victim's wound to her bite pattern as a wolf.

It was all they had left, and honestly, he really hoped it would be enough to prove her innocence to the jury. He was very grateful that son-of-a-bitch judge wasn't the one they needed to convince.

@Lucy Lane
    @Claude Frollo
    @Leah Clearwater

#6 James McGill, Dec 18, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  7. Lucy Danvers-Lane

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link

Lucy tried not to look smug as the judge told McGill off right in front of everyone. She really, really did. But no carefully composed and professional mask could stop the glimmer of faint amusement in green eyes, so she quickly averted her gaze from the defense under the guise of flipping to another page in the loose packet of information she held in her hand.

"Of course, Your Honor," she said smoothly, giving a nod to the clerk behind her. "The prosecution calls to the stand Mr. Edgar Bonwitt."

The man in question rose and took his place in front of the court, tugging with shaky hands at his tie the whole time he got situated. He was an older, well-dressed gentlemen who may have seemed kind and confident under other circumstances -- namely, when he wasn't glancing in the defense's direction with fear every few moments as if Leah were about to leap over the bench and maul him.

Once he'd answered the first few cursory questions about his name and such, Lucy gave him a reassuring smile and asked her first question. "Mr. Bonwitt, would you mind telling the court what you saw that night?"

"O-Of course," he stuttered with a nod, using a hankerchief to wipe at his sweaty brow. "I-I'm sorry about this, really, it's just that I-- Dear Lord, it was terrible. It was terrible. Blood everywhere, and this-- this beast--"

"Mr. Bonwitt," the Major interrupted though not unkindly. It was best to get things on track before he could be dismissed as a fear-addled madman. "I understand how hard this can be, but your testimony is of great value to the court."

"Right. Of course. I-I pick my kids up from daycare every night near where...it happened. It's only me here, you see, my husband didn't get pulled in with me, so I keep them there after their schooling while I work. We were walking home that night when we heard this terrible screaming. I grab my youngest and we try to get out of there as soon as possible, but then...we see this giant animal standing over a person. It's-- It's biting into them like a dog with a chew toy, and they're just screaming, and--
    " Edgar buried his face in his hands. "It was horrible."

8. Claude Frollo

[​IMG]

"No, we don't 'have to wonder.' She was defending him from a vampire who escaped!"

"That is what we are all here to prove, isn't Mr. McGill, something you have yet to do. Shall we give Major Lane the respect of our full attention now?" He huffed, making James look like a scolded child by a rational father in the court after being unable to control his temper tantrum.

Claude smiled at the pretty young lawyer, all business as she called the witness. The groveling sniveling witness was almost not brave enough to do the right thing, but was encouraged by Major Lane successfully. Besides, the terror he was showing worked in Frollo's favor. This case would be the beginning of the doubt in the people about these creatures they simply allowed to wander among them, blood thirsty and dangerous. He was protecting people in the long run.

"Thank you for your bravery, Mr. Bonwitt." Frollo praised warmly, "We need your help again, however. If you feel up to it, we are going to show you video of the creature and ask you to identify it for the court." The witness nodded slowly, still visibly upset as the video popped onto the white projector screen that the bailiff had pulled down for the court to see, Frollo still marveling over the technology.

The changing creature was visceral to the court and many murmurs spread throughout, much to Frollo's satisfaction. Adding insult to McGill's injury, the witness nodded, "Y-yes, that is the creature I saw, bloodied and hovering over the man who died." Frollo nodded, successfully suppressing a smile and showing only sober seriousness. Lucy Lane had done well to gain this man's account for her case.

"Thank you, Mr. Bonwitt." He nodded to McGill, "Your witness, Mr. McGill, if you choose to question." He watched the other lawyer carefully, ready to pounce on any wrong move.

9. Leah Clearwater

Leah Clearwater Twilight

Guardswoman
    Race:
    Shapeshifter
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    Leah's mouth curved into a small smile at her lawyer's words. She knew he was trying to keep his voice down, but to her sensitive ears, it almost sounded as if he said it to the entire court, which was an amusing image. Just seeing the fantasy look of shock on the judge's face as he's called an asshole gave Leah the calm needed to stop trying to ruin the table.

As the witness stepped up to the stand, she was able to look back up, watching as he took his seat. Her face betrayed nothing, other than what appeared to be a mild disappointment. Whether she was disappointed in the witness or the prosecutor was impossible to tell.

The only response she gave was a furrowed brow at his testimony. Kids? What kids? It was possible there were kids she didn't notice, but that was unlikely. Kids were pretty loud when they saw something they didn't like.

More important to Leah, however, was the fact that he insisted she had bitten the guy. Unless he was also buying into the lie that she could turn into a vampire, that was a pretty bold-faced lie. She hadn't even gotten to bite that leech, or else there would have been two bodies at the scene.

Really, this was probably the only situation in which Leah wished everyone had her pack's mind-meld thing. If everyone could have seen the events from her perspective, things would have been much easier.

10. James McGill

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    True Neutral
    Directory:
    link

[​IMG]
    ~Losing my religion.~

Mr. Edgar Bonwitt reminded Jimmy of Charles, except more of a pathetic pussy. Perhaps he shouldn't be so harsh. The man had witnessed something terrifying, and James could relate. "Blood everywhere..." He tried to remain focused on his job, and not on the deep ruby color of a massive pool of blood that was forever ingrained into his memory. Lucy calmed the witness down and got him back on track, which was her job, but Jimmy appreciated it nonetheless. Leah was no beast. But also, if Mr. Bonwitt would have been allowed to blunder, James could have twisted the credibility of his testimony.

The witness didn't have much to add to the case other than fear-- and one particular phrase that James had latched onto with a death grip. When the Judge replayed the damned video again for all to see James rolled his eyes and rubbed his forehead with one hand. He knew if he piped up and brought to light how utterly unnecessary and insulting that was, he'd just get smacked with a hammer again. And a reaction was probably exactly what Mr. Frollo was looking for.

James tried to ignore the crowd's disturbed murmurs and met the Judge's eyes as he was permitted to cross examine the man. Rising and making his way over to the stand, he gave Mr. Bonwitt a sighing smile and began with a hearty dose of sympathy. "I understand how that would have been, uh, quite a sight, to see. You mentioned that Ms. Clearwater-- in her wolf form-- was 'biting into them like a dog.' Care to elaborate on that?" Jimmy asked with a gesturing hand before sliding them both in his pockets to listen.

Mr. Bonwitt cleared his throat and searched the open air between them as he hesitantly recalled the details. "Yes. It's back was to us and its head was bowed towards the man, breathing hard and growling lowly, like... like how a dog would stand over a toy." He shook his head at the memory. Jimmy wasn't looking for more fear-inducing tales, he was looking for a fact.
    "But did you specifically see teeth sinking into flesh?" He asked as a clearer guide.

"I... not up close or anything, but its mouth was lowered to it-- the body-- it all happened so fast, then it looked up at us, there was blood on it's mouth..."

"Alright, Mr. Bowitt." James nodded before gently pointing at him for one last solidifying statement of clarification. "But to be sure, based on what you saw, the wolf did not clearly bite the human?"

"It looked very much like the wolf had bit him from where I was standing but... I mean I wasn't close enough to be sure, I suppose." Mr. Bowitt finalized carefully, trying to give the man what he was searching for while telling the truth. James nodded once more, less satisfied than he would have liked to be, but at least now the court had to wonder if the man had actually witnessed a bite. "Thank you. No further questions, your honor."

James returned to his table as the witness was excused and picked up his folder of hidden aces."I would like to bring to the attention of the court, the imprints taken of Ms. Clearwater's bite pattern-- when in her wolf form-- compared to the pattern of the wound on the victim's arm." He announced slowly, clearly, and cheerfully. Jimmy brought the folder over to the overhead projector and expertly set it up, spreading some images and papers underneath the light and camera so they'd appear on the screen for all to see.

"These were taken by Doctor Holland of Pandora Town Hospital. Would you like to join us up here, Mr. Holland?"
    He parted from the device and extended an arm to the well-dressed man in the crowd who was already making his way through the gate. "Would you care to tell us a bit about what we're looking at here?"

"Sure. If I may..." The Doctor smiled at the Judge, Jury, and prosecutor's table before handling the files on the projector and using a finger to guide them all through his explanation. "As you can see, Ms. Clearwater's bite pattern is rather large, much larger than a regular wolf's, by Earth's standards. If she were to bite a human being's arm, her jaw would easily wrap around the entire appendage, and what we'd be looking at on a victim would be mostly molar and premolar marks, not incisors and canines."

He pushed his glasses up on his nose and slid a diagram aside before continuing enthusiastically, "For her to have made these wounds we see here, on the victim's arm, she would have had to barely place her mouth upon his arm, using only her front few teeth-- and even then, her canines are so large compared to the puncture wounds on the victim... I-I heavily doubt that Ms. Clearwater caused these injuries." He concluded, finding that he was getting ahead of himself and beginning to ramble.

James smiled at him in encouragement, glad that the doctor he'd found to gather this evidence was passionate about his work and quite obviously fascinated with anything supernatural. "This wound looks to me much closer in relation to, say for instance, a vampire bite, as you can see examples of here." Mr. Holland slid into frame a collage of photographs and measured diagrams of actual vampire bites recorded in Pandora's history, all of which looked far closer to the victim's wound.

"Thank you, Doctor." James politely and covertly stopped him there, wanting the last thing he mentioned to resound within the congregation. He motioned for him to wait there for any cross examination or questions from the Judge, and recapped to the crowd and Jury, "So not only did our witness not see her bite the victim, but we can safely assume that even before the witness arrived on scene, Ms. Clearwater hadn't attacked the victim. That wound was very obviously not caused by her teeth."

@Lucy Lane
    @Claude Frollo
    @Leah Clearwater

#10 James McGill, Dec 29, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  11. Lucy Danvers-Lane

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link

Lucy refused to let her carefully controlled expression reveal any disappointment or disapproval towards her witness, but she also didn't allow herself to stand by idly while McGill and his silver tongue bent the poor man's already fragile spine. She'd understood the risks letting such a weak-willed man testify, even though she had done everything she could to reassure him and give him the strength to proceed. Sometimes, the shock of arriving in Pandora just...did things to people. Witnessing a grisly murder likely didn't help.

"Objection, Your Honor," she stated, rising from where she'd momentarily taken her seat at the prosecution's table. "That question has already been asked and answered. If I may, I think we all have far better things to do than stand here and listen to Mr. McGill recycle his thoughts." She arched an eyebrow at the judge, not looking in the direction of the defense. From the jury, she could hear murmurs.

When it came time to begin her cross-examination of the new witness, she gave the man the same polite smile she'd given Mr. Bonwitt. "Dr. Holland, thank you for taking the time to join us today." Because she hadn't missed McGill refer to him as 'Mr.' His faux-pas was her gain -- if not in the eyes of the doctor himself, then at the very least in the eyes of the jury. "I have just one question for you: do you know of any vampires that are known to eat flesh?"

"W-What?" the doctor asked, blinking down at Lucy in faint bewilderment. It obviously hadn't been the question he'd been expecting at all, but she was content to smile at him until he answered. "Well, no. Vampires are known to drink blood, not consume flesh."

"But werewolves are," Lucy reminded the court, hands clasped behind her back as she resumed her easy, slow pacing. "Werewolves are the ones who rip chunks out of their victims. Animals do, as well. As you can tell in the collage of documented vampire bites Mr. McGill was kind enough to provide us with, you can clearly see the puncture marks on vampire victims. On the victim, however..." She waved to the screen where the victim's wound was displayed. Unlike the vampire bites, it really did look as if a chunk was taken out of the man.

"Yes, but the size--" Dr. Holland protested, brow furrowing. "Major Lane, the size is vastly incorrect. Miss Clearwater's jaws couldn't have made them in the wolf form she showed us."

"I don't doubt you," Lucy assured him. "But let me ask you this: would a regular-sized wolf be able to create those marks?"

Dr. Holland closed his eyes as he thought. "Well, yes, I suppose," he finally admitted. "You're right. A regular-sized wolf would be able to make the wound that killed the victim."

Lucy smiled, a hint of smugness in her features at the answer she wanted. "Thank you, Dr. Holland. That'll be all." She turned to face the jury. "Now, I'm certain you're all wondering how this fits together. After all, you all saw Miss Clearwater's size in the video. But I'd like to remind you of something Mr. McGill was very insistent on making sure we all knew. Miss Clearwater isn't a werewolf -- she's a shapeshifter. I'd like one last moment to present to the court documented examples of shapeshifters within Pandora."

She waved to the clerk as a video clip began to play. It was camera footage of a blue-skinned woman rapidly changing faces, before it switched to footage of a teenaged boy with green skin turning into a few different animals. "One thing shapeshifters seem to have in common is very obviously the ability to change their shape. The video of Miss Clearwater doesn't prove that the wolf is her only form, only rather that she possesses the ability to change it. The fact that the size of her jaw doesn't match the wound is irrelevant on these grounds, especially when one considers that the modus operandi is more fitting for an animal than the wounds vampires have been clearly documented to leave. This is because Miss Clearwater took a bite out of the victim before Mr. Bonwitt arrived on scene and witnessed her standing over his body."

12. Claude Frollo

[​IMG]

Frollo's attention was take toward Major Lane's well thought out objection. "That question has already been asked and answered. If I may, I think we all have far better things to do than stand here and listen to Mr. McGill recycle his thoughts."

"Quite right, Major, let's not cause the witness any undue stress or more trauma by making him repeat what the court already has on record. If you can't remember his answers, I suggest you ask the stenographer to see the minutes. Please move on." He scolded.

Frollo was watching the creature through all this, hoping she would do something dangerous. If she did, it would strengthen Major Lane's case to the point of no return. There would be no more doubts. He wished he could poke at her the dog she was to make her react, but it would be too obvious that he was biased and he must bide his tie in this new world.

As Mr. McGill took up the high ground of having an expert agree with him, Frollo became a little worried. Still, he could use a lose as well. Leah Clearwater would be outed as the obvious culprit no matter what and the Justice of Pandora would also go down with it, Frollo would make sure of it. Everyone would know what she had gotten away with, what Pandora had allowed things like her to get away with for a long time.

The approval on Frollo's face for Major's Lane's next point was palpable. His smugness outshined her slight bit by several miles. He knew he needed to end it on this note for the jury and quickly, "Now, unless either counsel has another witness or more evidence to present, I suggest we move on to closing statements." He smiled deeply at Lucy, imagining his mouth around the curve of the pal skin of her neck.

"Major..." He presented her the floor and everyone's full attention.

#12 Claude Frollo, Jan 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  13. Leah Clearwater

Leah Clearwater Twilight

Guardswoman
    Race:
    Shapeshifter
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    Maybe years before, when Leah was still happy and oblivious to the entire supernatural world, she could have been labelled an optimist. She had never really expected many horrible things to happen in the future.

But once her life turned into a complete shit show, it was hard to believe that anything was going to go well. She wanted to hope that the expert testimony was enough to prove that she was innocent, but it was hard to expect that much.

That didn't mean that the prosecutor's argument wasn't aggravating. 'If, if, if' nothing concrete about her powers, nothing provable, just plain-old scaremongering. There was still a vampire out there, probably hurting innocent people, and she was in trouble for not being as careful as she could have been.

It took all of her willpower not to laugh at the prosecutor's words, though. As if vampires were any better than animals. She'd seen with her own eyes how chaotic and animalistic they could be, and the Major's claims were amusingly ignorant of that fact.

The judge's smugness was not lost on Leah. Pretty much everyone she had been stuck around for the past few years had radiated it so much that she was an expert at picking up on it. What was making him so excited? Was he expecting a guilty verdict just so he could be seen as tough on crime? Or was he like that mindreading leech and just smug at all times? Hard to tell, really.

14. Lucy Danvers-Lane

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link

"Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, you'll recall in my opening statement, I promised I would prove to you without a doubt that the defendant is not only guilty, but also that she's dangerous. The witnesses I called today have testified as I explained, and we have established without a shadow of doubt that Miss Clearwater has the ability to change her shape, that she was present the night of the victim's death, that she attacked the victim, and that she was not acting in any form of self defense.

The video we have presented to you through the courtesy of the defendant herself, Miss Clearwater, proves that she has the ability to change her form at the very least into the wolf presented. However, the defense has been incredibly firm in correcting her status at every opportunity to be a shapeshifter, not a werewolf, implying beyond reasonable doubt that this is not the only form she possesses, as evidenced by the other known shapeshifters that have existed in Pandora.

The witness I presented to you, Mr. Edgar Bonwitt, is of sound mind and has testified that he personally spotted Miss Clearwater standing over the body of the victim in a canine-esque form. Of course, Mr. Bonwitt has nothing to benefit from a conviction other than peace of mind for himself and his children that witnessed her gruesome attack. May this reassure you all of his honesty and his bravery for coming forward to help us solve this case.

The defense may attempt to mislead you by withholding facts and skewing the evidence presented here today. However, let me remind you that the bite wound on the victim which led to his death does not match any of the documented cases of vampire bites, nor was physical evidence of a vampire ever found on the scene. What the bite does instead match, as the defense's own witness Dr. Holland confirmed, is the bite of an average sized wolf. The defendant has all the reason to hide any other potential shapeshifting abilities from the court due to what I assume can only be as healthy of a self preservation instinct as she seems to have a hunting one. It's with that I ask the ladies and gentlemen of the jury to reject the theories of the defense related to the irrelevant size of a shapeshifter.

Perhaps Miss Clearwater's behavior is excusable in her own world. The beauty of Pandora is in its diversity of perspectives and backgrounds -- how you can walk outside and instantly be transported into magic you may have only seen in stories from your childhoods. With this kind of power present among its individuals however, it becomes even more important that these people are held accountable for their actions against those who can't defend against them.

In conclusion, we ask that you find the defendant guilty as charged. Thank you."

15. James McGill

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    True Neutral
    Directory:
    link

[​IMG]
    ~Losing my religion.~

"I'm gonna keep this short. Because really, the decision you fine folks have to make is not a complicated one.

We have this thing in good old America called the presumption of innocence. Perhaps some of you are familiar with it. Perhaps some of you aren't. Perhaps some of you... simply don't care.

Well, let me remind you all what this principle is, and why it pertains to this case today.

'Innocent until proven guilty.' That's all there is to it. It's part of the 5th, 6th, and 14th amendments of the U.S. Constitution along with many other countries' laws and regulations too. It's one of the core qualities of a democratic justice system designed for-- wouldn't you know it-- justice.

Ms. Clearwater has not been proven guilty.

To assume that this woman has the ability to transform into anything other than what she is physically capable of shifting into is complete conjecture. Ms. Clearwater has demonstrated for us exactly what her powers entail, and there was no deception behind that demonstration. She can turn into a wolf, and only a wolf, of that exact size.

As Dr. Holland stated, her bite pattern in wolf form, which is her one and only sized pattern in wolf form, does not match the victim's wounds. End of discussion. Unless the prosecution can prove their ridiculous claim, which they have not.

But even if she could change the size of her mouth while in wolf form, why in God's name would she do that? To tamper with evidence? If she really was the cold-blooded murderer that she's been accused of, then wouldn't she have also eliminated the witnesses and left the scene of the crime long before the authorities were involved? I'm just saying! It makes zero sense for her to be the murderer in this case, and we do not have any substantial evidence backing up that argument.

Innocent until proven guilty.

Thank you."

@Lucy Lane
    @Claude Frollo
    @Leah Clearwater

16. Claude Frollo

[​IMG]

"Thank you, Major, Mr. McGill for your statements. Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, now that you have heard all of the evidence, and the arguments of counsel, it becomes my duty to give you the instructions of the court concerning Pandora law which governs this case.

"It is your duty as jurors to follow the law as I shall state it to you, and to apply that law to the facts as you find them from the evidence presented in court. Regardless of any opinion I have that the bite marks were indeed caused by Ms. Clearwater, it would be a violation of your sworn duty to base a verdict upon any view of the law, just as it would also be a violation of your sworn duty, as judges of the facts, to base a verdict upon anything other than the evidence presented during the trial where each party must prove their case.

"When I tell you that a party must prove something, I mean that the party must persuade you, by the evidence presented in court, that what he or she is trying to prove is more likely to be true than not true. This is sometimes referred to as 'the burden of proof.' If you believe that the bite marks were caused by Ms. Clearwater, you must find a guilty verdict of murder. If you believe Mr. McGill's claim that Ms. Clearwater chased off a vicious vampire in order to rescue the dead man, you must find the defendant innocent of the crime of murder.

"Our system of law does not either permit jurors to be governed by prejudice or sympathy or public opinion. Pandora's convictions of violent crimes is low, but do not allow the public to sway your decision, you must look at this case as a single instance.

While you should consider only the evidence in the case I have permitted here, you are allowed to draw such reasonable inferences from the testimony and exhibits as you feel are justified in the light of common experience. But do not speculate about possibilities that were not fairly proved. For example, it has been fairly proved that Ms. Clearwater can change shape to have small or large jaws, but you cannot infer that her nature is to protect humans without reasonable facts to back it.

"You are the sole judges of the credibility of each witness, judge, and attorney, and the weight to be given to any testimony. In weighing the testimony of a witness you should consider the relationships of counsel to the defendant. For instance, Major Lane is a public prosecutor and Mr. McGill is a private practitioner who returned to public serve just for this case. You must consider the candidness, the fairness, professionalism, and intelligence of each person who spoke. A Major in the military who serves the public and a private practice attorney both have attributes that must be considered.

"When I complete these instructions, the jury will go to the Jury Room to begin deliberations. Allow everyone a word in, be sure to look at your ideas with fresh ideas and considering ideas of those around you. You should think of yourselves as judges, judges of the facts. Your sole interest should be to reach the truth and serve justice for a man whose life was stolen from him in a violent and senseless act.

"Thank you for serving as jury and you are dismissed to deliberate."

17. Leah Clearwater

Leah Clearwater Twilight

Guardswoman
    Race:
    Shapeshifter
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    'Healthy hunting instinct' the prosecutor said. Once again, Leah was being spoken about like she was an animal. It never ended. Even her own pack members would sometimes pretend to be less than human, as if that was something to aspire to be. It disgusted her on every level, and counting backwards from ten could only calm her down so much. Her eyes were screwed shut as she tried to rein in her breathing.

She barely listened to her defense, knowing that he was going to do his job and hopefully point out that just saying she could possibly maybe turn into a different sized wolf didn't mean that she actually had that capability.

What did cause her to open her eyes and start listening was the judge outright saying he thought she was guilty. That... that wasn't allowed, was it? Wasn't that swaying the jury? Was her lawyer supposed to be objecting to the judge? Admittedly, she didn't watch a lot of Law and Order, but something just felt really, really wrong about the judge's closing words.

She gave a strangled cry that she just barely managed to cover with a cough when the judge stated that it had been proven that she could change the size of her jaws. If he meant to say that as a human her jaws were smaller than that was true, but she only had the one wolf form, so that was just a straight up lie. But calling him out on it wasn't really an option.

She had to watch the jury leave in silence, dread pooling in her stomach. If the judge was so clearly against her, did she really stand a chance?

When the jury returned and doled out the guilty verdict, Leah stared at them impassively for a few seconds before something just seemed to break. The scapegoat of the pack escaped to be unfairly arrested in a brand new world. Sounded about right. She didn't fight any attempts to move her, just done with everything.

Claude Frollo and James McGill like this.