By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box.
Only the box is a world of its own.
We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.
Want to add a quote? Submit them here!
  1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Autumn is here!
    Check out the Season Updates HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Have a nice day, Guest!
    Dismiss Notice

Private Gotta Catch 'em All

Discussion in 'Crystal Vales' started by Cynthia, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Cynthia

Cynthia Pokemon

Explorer
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    [​IMG]

August 29th
    @Velouria

Cynthia and her team were made for battling. Being stuck without the chance to practice and battle left all of them, even Togekiss, feeling like they were lacking something. There were things that needed fighting, but those were less battles and more defending themselves. It just wasn't the same.

One important part of being a good trainer was recognizing when her team needed to practice, when they were feeling antsy and needed some release. It wasn't ideal, but she had to let them spar with each other if she wanted them to keep from causing trouble.

Roserade and Garchomp in particular were starting to lose their tempers. When let out of their pokeballs, they'd try and look for fights, even bothering random people. It got to the point that Cynthia couldn't ignore it, so she brought the two out into the woods and told them it was time to spar.

While the two were kept under close supervision and Cynthia made it clear that Garchomp couldn't use Earthquake, the two were still overjoyed for the chance, and had a lot of fun trying to hit each other. Lucario sat at her side, watching their auras for any signs that they were tiring out.

The area was a bit of a mess already, with giant puddles of bubbling sludge and destroyed rocks and trees as Garchomp did her best to hit Roserade. The roaring alone had probably caused most of the small animals around to scatter.

Velouria likes this.
  2. Velouria

Velouria Fire Emblem

Race:
    Wolfskin
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

August was a mess of monster battles and loads of unneeded trouble for Velouria, and yet here she was in one piece. Exploring this familiar neck of the woods was becoming the usual thing for the wolfskin, who couldn’t go long during her administrative duties for Oakheart without taking some personal time to animal-hunt and treasure-hunt.

She sighed to herself as she leaned up against a big tree and gave the bark a sniff and a knock with her fist -- just to see if the thing was hollow. It was times like these, when her searches were turning up nothing extraordinary, that she wished she had a partner to liven things up. Of course, not a romantic one -- just a second pair of eyes. Her mind slipped back to the period she wandered with Rammy, that big grey reptile that flattened trees like these for her. It had to have been a year ago since the creature was whisked away, in fact. What a gift it’d be to find another friendly monster like that... It would certainly break the string of vicious ones she had been encountering.

Roars and a few distant impacts roused the wolfgirl from her reminiscing. Her legs began jogging into the woods in the direction of the noise, retrieving her magic stone from her pocket out of precaution. She swore, if she had to deal with another set of bad guys, she supposed she could let them win this time just to see what’d happen.

Velouria couldn’t place the cries to any ordinary animal, and the ferocity of the hits echoing throughout the glade were what began to frighten her most. Dropping to a quiet shuffle, she stalked towards the commotion and spied some carnage in the clearing. One dragon and a living bundle of flowers were duking it out, and as Velouria waited crouched behind a bush, amazingly a woman with blonde locks and a small pet of her own were just surveying the whole thing across the meadow, unperturbed.

The wolfskin debated telling them to stop, or perhaps slinking away and dashing to nearby Oakheart for help, but then her eyes zeroed in on something -- there, attached to the lady’s hip were a miniature set of reddish-white orbs, the very same that... that... Velouria wracked her brain. “Oh!” she gasped, and clapped a hand over her mouth. She realized those things were what Rammy came in and what the man Riley took her companion away with, and now that she couldn’t take her gaze away, also she knew she was probably heard with a squeak like that.

Cynthia likes this.
  3. Cynthia

Cynthia Pokemon

Explorer
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good

Lucario was the first to react to the newcomer, sensing her arrival as soon as she got close enough. His ears twitched as if he'd heard something, and he barked at the others to stop. The group glanced at him in confusion, but Garchomp and Roserade were able to hear the gasp nearby.

Roserade, still a little too hopped-up from all of the battling, started to form another Sludge Bomb to attack whatever was nearby. Her cries of excitement were enough for Cynthia to tell that she was making a hasty decision that wouldn't end well.

"Roserade, stop!" she cried, her voice calm, but authoritative enough that the pokemon held the ball of toxins instead of shooting them away. Garchomp stared at where the sound had come from, obviously prepared to attack when Cynthia gave the word.

Without hesitation, Cynthia started to walk in between her pokemon in order to get a better look at what had gotten them so distracted. "Hello?" she called, "if someone is there, could you please come out? My team won't hurt you, I promise."

Velouria likes this.
  4. Velouria

Velouria Fire Emblem

Race:
    Wolfskin
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

Velouria slowly opened her eyes from flinching all of a sudden out of the fear of possibly being attacked. Of all the ways she could have potentially died from magic, it almost was from a bouquet of evil flowers of all things. Lowering her hands, she needed no second bidding to push her way out of cover and stumble into the thinner patch of grass, hastily addressing the woman.

"You...! What are those pets around you, and where'd you get them...?!" The wolfgirl's wine-red eyes flicked between each monster and she gestured to each. She had a sort of excitement, or downright surprise to seeing these sorts of fantastical creatures again. If they were anything like Rammy, and had a connection to those sphere container things on the other lady's hip, then perhaps there were other beasts out there too. A pessimistic thought caught up to her; if this person was anything like that man Riley, who she despised for taking away her partner, then perhaps Velouria was better off not knowing.

"That's a..." she pointed to one of the orbs. "Po... Throw... Nnngh-- something-something. You didn't happen to... steal one of those or anything, right?"

Cynthia likes this.
  5. Cynthia

Cynthia Pokemon

Explorer
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    [​IMG]

To Cynthia's surprise, the girl who was hiding in the bushes was more than just a normal human. She almost started asking about the ears, but the girl managed to start talking first. Cynthia wasn't rude enough to just ignore direct questions.

"These are my pokemon, and I caught or bred them back in my world," she explained, placing a hand on Garchomp's head. Roserade huffed in disappointment when she realized that the battle was on hold, and tossed the sludge harmlessly away. Garchomp stared at the girl, scrutinizing her. Lucario simply sat where he was, watching without much interest.

With a tilt to her head, Cynthia followed the girl's gesture before smiling softly. "Pokeballs," she clarified, frowning at the next question, "of course I didn't. I bought them back in our world. Why, have you met a lot of thieves around here?"

6. Velouria

Velouria Fire Emblem

Race:
    Wolfskin
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

Velouria nodded her head once. Pokémon came from Pokéballs. “They’re from another world...?” she wondered aloud, biting her thumbnail through her leather glove. If that Rampardos came from somewhere else, surely it wasn’t hers when she happened upon it the first time. “Oh, okay, because I’ve seen things like those before, so...”

The wolfskin bowed her head modestly and sucked in a cheek, her thought process getting stymied by whether the two people who owned Pokémon could know each other. Would it be bad to accuse the man in blue of thieving? “Ah, well, there’s some thieves, but not a lot of Pokémon ones,” she answered. Velouria came up with a smart workaround. “I had a Rampardos taken away from me a while ago by a guy. Never seen another Pokémon since.” And maybe it was for the best that one was ripped away from her ownership, considering she didn’t use it quite as responsibly as she should. Even so, she had to be a little more grown-up from then by now -- there was a hint of longing in her tone that she was curious about trying again.

“Would you... give me a Pokémon? One for myself?” she glanced up. She uttered a rare word from her mouth, unbeknownst to the lady. “Please?”

7. Cynthia

Cynthia Pokemon

Explorer
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    [​IMG]

"Well, they're much more common where I'm from than here," Cynthia replied with a shrug. The fact that the girl had seen one before was interesting. Being able to battle anyone would cheer her pokemon up immensely.

"A rampardos?" was the first thing Cynthia said, startled, "really? Not many people have fossil pokemon, even when the science became more common... oh! But you had it taken away you said? You mean that this other person simply stole a pokemon of yours?"

Pokemon thieves like Team Galactic were just awful. She'd have to look out for anyone who tried to take hers, even though she knew that they'd never let themselves be stolen without a huge fight.

To Cynthia's surprise, the girl then asked to just have one of hers. While she would gladly help anyone who wanted a partner of their own, Pandora made that a bit more complicated.

Gently, she replied, "unfortunately, the only pokemon I have here are my team. Even if I weren't so attached to them, they wouldn't trust you, anyway. They wouldn't obey you at all."

Velouria likes this.
  8. Velouria

Velouria Fire Emblem

Race:
    Wolfskin
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

Velouria fumbled with how to answer the woman’s pressing questions about the dino-beast she once had. “Y-Yeah, I mean, it was taken away, but I don’t think... stole’s the right word, heh heh...” One thing was probably certain: the circumstances would be difficult to understand for anyone who wasn’t there at that hotel in Cascade Bay. However, she knew better than to paint herself as a thief instead, or else her perception of knowing how to treat one of these creatures would sink even further down to zero-chance of redeeming herself.

“But that’s not a big deal. How do I get a Pokémon for myself then, huh?” She glanced up, just as determined again. “I get that I won’t be able to handle any of those guys of yours -- they look a little too strong anyway.” A huff as she checked out each of their appearances again; definitely, none of them looked as loyal -- or as smart -- as Rammy did.

“Since-- since I owned one before, all I have to do is find another, but I know if I wanna keep it I have to put them in those Po...” She made a grabby-hand gesture, staring into her palm, opening and closing her fingers. “Pokéballs.” Velouria held the side of her face as the complications of all this were starting to make her head ache. Certainly there was a little disconnect between an individual claiming to own a Pokémon before and seeming to have difficulty with the concept of keeping it in a ball. The wolfgirl’s broad smile seemed trustworthy enough, though -- right...?

9. Cynthia

Cynthia Pokemon

Explorer
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    [​IMG]

Lucario snorted at Velouria's answer, able to sense her fumbling for an excuse. Cynthia simply frowned in confusion. That was an interesting reply. Fortunately for her, Cynthia was easily distracted by continuing the conversation.

"Oh, well, that's much simpler," she said, placing a finger on her chin, "usually, I'd just say find some tall grass and catch one there, but Pandora makes it a bit trickier. Especially when you don't already have a pokemon."

She cut herself off at that point, recognizing that she was about to start rambling. Her smile became more soft as Velouria pointed out that she didn't have pokeballs of her own. "Well, fortunately, I always keep a few extras on hand."

At that, she reached into her pocket and pulled out a spare, empty pokeball. "If you do happen to find a pokemon, you'll need to be careful," she advised, "if it's not impressed by you, it won't let you catch it. Catching pokemon is more about demonstrating to them that you're a worthy trainer than anything else."

Velouria likes this.
  10. Velouria

Velouria Fire Emblem

Race:
    Wolfskin
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

Before Velouria got the feeling that obtaining her own, legitimate partner would be a hopeless case, the woman came up with a solution. Gods, the wolfskin really must appear trustworthy if she could be gifted a ball of her own. She watched it mystically, a little hesitant to accept it at first.

“Tall grass? I always go hunting in tall grass -- for food and stuff I mean, but I’ll be fine," she assured. Her leather-gloved hand closed around the capsule for the first time, reuniting with an object like this in seemingly forever. It felt familiar and at the same time wholly special, the way its smooth surface shone up at her like a new toy. She clicked the little button and it expanded between her fingers. Letting out a little peep, her tail started wagging delightedly.

“I’ve got a question, though,” she continued, casting a quizzical look at the lady’s single visible eye. (Was her hairstyle for looks, or could she just not afford an eyepatch? Oh well.) “Does impressing it mean... showing you’re strong? I can do that no problem.” Velouria’s thoughts of course ventured to her werewolf form, however she was hung up on the thought she might scare off some of the smaller creatures she encountered, or get challenged on accident by the bigger ones like Rammy. Display her powers here in front of the woman and she might get clobbered by three of the things at once. Not a good call.

Cynthia likes this.
  11. Cynthia

Cynthia Pokemon

Explorer
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good

Lucario watched the exchange with a suspicious stare, but didn't try to stop Cynthia from handing the pokeball over. Whatever he saw in the girl's aura, it was clearly decent enough that he didn't see the need to interfere.

Cynthia chuckled softly at the response and shrugged, "where I'm from, you can barely walk a few feet through the stuff without running into a pokemon. It's so common, people without their own are heavily discouraged from leaving towns on their own." It was the brutality that came with the beauty of nature that people in her world just had to accept.

She hummed in thought at the question, though. "Normally, you'd prove yourself by showing off your skills in battle," she said, "directing your pokemon well and proving that you could knock them out if you wanted. Without your own, I'm not sure. Perhaps the circumstances will simply align for you to prove yourself another way."

Velouria likes this.
  12. Velouria

Velouria Fire Emblem

Race:
    Wolfskin
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

The response she got didn't seem like a straight answer, and she tapped her chin with her index finger. "So it's just a toss-up, huh?" she mused. Velouria at least understood that how well she could aim would come into play, and that probably wasn't a sure-fire thing along with the whole encounter. Her heart had a nervous flutter as she thought of all the possibilities of what could emerge from the foliage around the Vales and the best route to tame it.

The excitement of the hunt aside, it seemed wolfgirl remained pensive about being responsible for another pet. Rammy was kind of her first, and she could barely control the thickheaded thing. What if she brought whatever monster she found into her home and it busted up the place just like it did the old hotel room? The lady's words about whether or not the creatures would choose to obey bothered her like an itch.

"Last question: what do most of these things even eat?" Velouria scanned the trio of other Pokemon briefly and surmised they all had a diet of something. It seemed to her that providing for her eventual new friend would mean cutting into her allowance being the makeshift official of Oakheart or having to hunt for a pair of mouths to feed instead of one.

#12 Velouria, Aug 30, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    Cynthia likes this.
  13. Cynthia

Cynthia Pokemon

Explorer
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    [​IMG]

Cynthia could only sigh and shrug. "I wish I could be more specific," she replied, "but this place is just so different from what I'm used to. It really depends on what pokemon you encounter. Keep a level head and pay attention to their attitude and you should be fine."

The next question sent her way caused Cynthia's eyebrows to raise slightly, thinking. Taking care of pokemon was a very vital part of being a trainer, and it's much more difficult without pokecenters around.

"I'd say most pokemon eat a mix of meat and plants," she answered, "back home, there were plenty of stores filled with food specifically made for pokemon, but here, we mostly hunt and forage. Pokemon have good instincts for finding what they need. Of course, that's assuming the pokemon you'd find would be like Garchomp or Lucario. Others have very unique diets. Roserade, for instance, just needs water and sunlight, and she can make her own food, as do most grass-types. Some pokemon survive off of rocks and other minerals, or tree bark, or grass or... oh! I was rambling, wasn't I?"

Velouria likes this.
  14. Velouria

Velouria Fire Emblem

Race:
    Wolfskin
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

Halfway through the woman's advice, Velouria's eyes appeared to hood over like the cowl atop her head and shoulders. She had begun to nod her head automatically, but at least she perked up for the final bit and shook vigorously in agreement. "Oh, I get it all though! Mostly have to forage and stuff."

The wolfskin had learned the names of each of the three Pokemon from estimation alone, and she made one specific note in her head to not get a kind of grassy creature. After all, while her home may contain about a dozen pots of soil, none of them were full of any living plant matter at this rate. She tended to enjoy wandering away from Oakheart for a while and return to see how many stems had knotted and withered away in the poorly-lit interior of her house. Maybe it was best to not apply the same principle to something actually living.

"Thanks for all the help, miss," Velouria's ruby eyes scanned the Pokeball in her grasp again. She pushed the button once more and shrank it, rolling it into the pouch at her hip where it nestled alongside her Beaststone. "Name's Velouria, by the way. Maybe we'll meet up again and I'll get to show you how cool my Pokemon is." Her tail swayed and her expression beamed back like the sun.

Cynthia likes this.
  15. Cynthia

Cynthia Pokemon

Explorer
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good

Velouria wasn't the only one who got bored of Cynthia's explanation before she could even finish it. Roserade rolled her eyes with a soft cry that sounded a bit like a groan before she even got to talking about her needs in particular. Lucario and Garchomp seemed to be listening, though the constant fidgeting Garchomp was doing indicated that her attention might not have been completely on her.

Cynthia smiled encouragingly and nodded when Velouria summed it up nicely. "Just make sure they don't try to steal anything someone owns," she said, "most pokemon don't understand ownership that well."

When Velouria introduced herself, Cynthia nodded in greeting with a grin and replied, "and my name in Cynthia, pleased to meet you. I hope we do meet again someday. The more trainers, the better, I think."

Velouria likes this.
  16. Velouria

Velouria Fire Emblem

Race:
    Wolfskin
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

While Velouria turned to go, Cynthia's parting words about ownership made one of the wolfskin's ears lift and her feet pause. She supposed that being a guiding hand to one of those creatures meant that she needed to teach them manners alongside obedience. A fifty-fifty task. "Right," she nodded once over her shoulder.

But then the thought occurred to her that she might not need to worry about that if there was nothing of anybody else's possessions to take on accident. What if she just taught her Pokémon, whatever it was, to care about the same innocuous treasures that Velouria herself adored? It all depended on what she found for a partner, so wasting little time, she continued northward to the forested area where she met Rammy all those moons ago, in the hopes that the same fortune would smile down on her.

The girl in the cowl gave a wave to the rest of the Pokémon and their Trainer and departed their battlefield, shuffling through the brushes she came through. She needed bait, maybe one of her old teddy bears as a toy, and for her sake, a lot of patience...

Cynthia likes this.