By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box.
Only the box is a world of its own.
We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.
Want to add a quote? Submit them here!
  1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Autumn is here!
    Check out the Season Updates HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Have a nice day, Guest!
    Dismiss Notice

Private if you want, you can go, through this life, all alone

Discussion in 'Pandopolis City' started by Lenalee Lee, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Lenalee Lee

Lenalee Lee D.Gray-man

Race:
    Human - Chinese
    Alignment:
    True Neutral
    [​IMG]

3rd of September
    @Michelle Jones

She was late, she was late, she was late. Lenalee was never late. She hated being late, it felt wrong. There were no real stakes in it, it was just bad. This was why she didn't go to cafes anymore, there were always queues, always a wait. Lenalee knew that Toby wouldn't have a problem with her being late (Toby was rather forgiving, luckily). She nursed her hot chocolate, taking small sips from the cardboard cup, that nevertheless scalded her tongue, making her wince inwardly. Lenalee could make tea, coffee, and some other drinks (she had found that she made an excellent chai), but never hot chocolate. She had very rarely had it, back at the Order, and it still amazed her that it was available on every street corner, even if half of them were more milk than chocolate.

Late.

Late.

Late.

Lenalee sped up, not running yet, but moving faster than anyone really should while wearing heels. The hot chocolate wasn't worth this. She was so caught up in what she was doing, the speedwalking, letting muscle memory take her along the streets that she was used to by now. She was wearing a top, a blue blazer, and a black miniskirt, something that had become her daily wear.

Late.

Late.

La--THWACK!

"
    I'm so sorry!" Lenalee said, as the hot chocolate had spilled over both herself and the...girl she had run into. "A-Are you okay?"

[/box]

Michelle Jones likes this.
  2. Michelle Jones

Michelle Jones Marvel Universe
    Warning Label: Brutal Honesty Only

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good

why would i ever hold back?
    [​IMG]
    Michelle couldn't claim to call many people friends within Pandora. It had been a strange term before, one used loosely and rarely freely about anyone. She'd established the decathalon as friends, but they'd only become friends after nearly dying. And she still wasn't particularly close to any of them, Peter and Ned more so than the others. Betty wasn't too bad (though perhaps a little too bright and people-persony). Without the same connections she'd kept people in Pandora at arm's length, for more reasons than one.

Michelle and getting close to people was just not universally allowed it seemed. Which sucked because she'd started trying before arriving in Pandora and that blew up in her faces. Now she just. Kept to her work, went to school, and never stuck around the same person more than once. That was fairly easy; Short of going to the high school in Ark City she seemed to meet more people twice her age than her age. That worked-- It was safer and better, even if she felt more out of place.

She supposed it helped that she had things to do-- Plenty of books to check-in, homework, and more than a few different supposedly creepy locations to visit. On an early Friday afternoon that wasn't what she was doing in Pandopolis, but instead found herself visiting Daye Investigations. The woman owning it had said she wanted to see her photos but was technological inept so sure-- why not-- she could drop some off and disappear before anyone noticed. That was the plan, but Michelle had to have the worst luck in the universe.

Given the next moment she's being crashed into by a girl and found quickly that she was now covered in a hot substance. A sticky one. She groaned, steadying herself, as she glanced down at the new ruined white graphic-tee. At least her pants were black and her jacket could be washed, but she had no hope for the tee that she'd come to like. "Great," She grumbled out to herself, shifting to make sure her bag was (thankfully) spared of the mess.

She shook her head, irritated more at the situation at hand than the girl herself. At least it wasn't her and coffee this time-- Not that she'd done as much any time recently, but she'd be actually upset if it'd been espresso. "It's not the worst thing that could happen today," She answered mildly with a grimace before she properly looked up. Ah, this girl she'd seen her in passing at the investigation place last time she'd stopped in but. Michelle and talking to people in a friendly manner wasn't that high.

"Huh, convenient," Michelle added, pausing as she glanced her over, "I'd ask you to just take these in, but I'm gonna guess you'll want to change as much as I do first." Which meant. She couldn't toss the parcel of photographs on her and run away. Well, she could she supposed. It'd get there eventually maybe. But that was probably weirder.

Lenalee Lee likes this.
  3. Lenalee Lee

Lenalee Lee D.Gray-man

Race:
    Human - Chinese
    Alignment:
    True Neutral
    [​IMG]

This was awful. The girl didn't seem hurt, at least, but she did look familiar. Lenalee never claimed to have a photographic memory, but she knew she had a good one, and the fact that she didn't know who this person was on first sight annoyed her. Young (about the same age as her, Lenalee knew, but she was older, in the way that all the Exorcists were, age borne from pain and bearing the weight of the world on her shoulders for so long), female, pretty, very distinctive hair. Oh! Michelle Jones, an acquaintance of Toby's, who was on the 'always let in' list. Lenalee put on her reassuring-but-professional smile, which slid on her face as if it belonged there.

"Miss Jones, correct?" Lenalee asked, feeling a little awkward simply standing there, but she didn't have anything she could offer. Her coat was at the office, and, even if it weren't, she wouldn't have offered it anyway, even if it looked like it would have fit. It was too valuable for that, as much as Lenalee hated to think it. The ex-Exorcist looked at what Michelle was offering (photographs, it looked like), and then at herself, as covered in hot chocolate as she was, and the smile on her face shifted to something more geniune, and she laughed a little. She could feel it seeping into her shoes. It was awful. "A chance to change would be nice." She almost offered the other girl some of her clothes, but looking at the different styles, Lenalee doubted that that would be appreciated.

There was another option, though.

Toby would forgive her for being a little late, Lenalee thought. This was a good reason. "As an apology, would you like me to replace those clothes? There's a mall near here that is rather popular," she offered, her smile once again shifting, becoming shyer. Lenalee had plenty of money (Toby payed well, and Lenalee didn't have anyone or anything to spend the money on, apart from herself), and she felt terrible for this whole thing. If this could help, if only a little bit, it would be worthwhile.

[/box]

4. Michelle Jones

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good

[​IMG]
    Michelle grimaced to herself. Not because of the girl but because of the situation. She adjusted her bag to stuff photographs back into it-- She'd been debating if they were even good enough in the first place (she was a perfectionist at heart). At least they hadn't been spilled out, but given she's all but dripping cocoa now they were safer put away. "Michelle," She supplied in her usual abruptness as she looked back up, "Miss Jones is too formal." Especially for a girl who allowed her friends to call her simply MJ. Miss Jones felt even more stuffy and uncomfortable than most things.

The teenager nodded. Changing sounded nice, she'd dismiss herself and do just that if she... You know, carried around a set of clothes. But she was beginning to carry around a nanonite A and a mace wherever she could get away with, eventually she'd collapse if she kept adding on necessary items for Pandora survival."You should do that then," Michelle answered as amicably as she could, all too aware on even her best days she doesn't come off as the nicest person. Her brow automatically shot up when Lenalee went on offering to what.. Go on a shopping trip?

Even if it was just replace her shirt that felt strange, too close and friendly. And she'd never really had friends before AcaDec and... Really, she was closest to a pair of boys who's idea was fun was making lego Death Stars while binging nerd movies. She really didn't think a clothes shopping trip with someone who seemed to care more about them-- at least from her outfit-- was probably the ebest outing she can go on."I'm good," She said a little too quickly and then made a small frown, "I mean, I can go and get something myself. You've got to go in, right? Making you go would probably just be weird." Well, this whole thing was weird. Maybe she was being the weird one, but then she didn't know how to people well.

Lenalee Lee likes this.
  5. Lenalee Lee

Lenalee Lee D.Gray-man

Race:
    Human - Chinese
    Alignment:
    True Neutral
    [​IMG]

Lenalee smiled a little more, a kind, friendly smile, despite herself, and her current state of being both late for work and covered in hot chocolate. Toby would forgive her for being late this time. "Michelle it is," she replied. "It's a pleasure to meet you. I'm Lenalee Lee." She'd let Ms J-Michelle decide what to call her. Often, she found that people would express their wish, their view of a relationship, through how they called the other. Allen, for example, had been so formal for so long before starting to refer to them by their first names. It would be interesting to see how Michelle would use that information.

Lenalee looked down at herself, clearly not carrying as much as a purse, or anything to have a set of spare clothing in, and sighed inwardly. She had her wallet and phone on her, and that was all. She had a spare outfit at work, but that was more for...bloodstains or terrible injury than anything as mundane as hot chocolate. "Yes, that's rather a problem," she said, glancing once more to the stores nearby. "I don't have anything to change into, either."

Lenalee raised an eyebrow. She knew it was a weird offer from someone who was basically a stranger, but she trusted Toby's judgement, mostly. "Yes, because serving people in a hot-chocolate stained blouse and skirt is definitely a good look for DI," Lenalee said, the sarcasm slipping out before she could help it. Her tone was somehow both very sarcastic, and completely sincere. She took a breath. "It's my fault, and I need to go get a replacement outfit anyway. Just let me apologise?"

[/box]

6. Michelle Jones

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good

[​IMG]
    Meeting people is as weird as introductions are. Michelle should know-- She was positively the best at making good first impressions, second impressions, and third impressions. Okay, so she wasn't, but it's not like she tried to make it awkward. She just wasn't great with people-- for a multitude of reasons she never wanted to get into, but it wasn't like she did it on purpose. Take now, for example, as sh nodded her head by way of greeting. Mouth not finding the words for a full seconds longer before she managed a grumbled, "Nice to meet you." Maybe she could blame grumpiness at the way her clothes now stuck to her, hot and messy, than poor people skills. Maybe.

Of course she didn't have anything else to change into. What kind of normal person carried around spare clothes "just in case" something might spill on them. So again, she nodded and gave a short shrug of her shoulders. The other girl moved on with an amount of sarcasm Michelle could appreciate-- Even directed at her. Her brow arched in amusement, "I wasn't saying I expected you to do your job in it. You just don't have to do anything to make it better."

And she doesn't. Michelle isn't much for relying or expecting things of other people, even when they were their fault. She shrugged, attention turning to the stores the other girl was looking at before she frowned. She should probably play nice, even if she didn't know what that meant exactly. Michelle was rarely intentionally mean, she was just rough around the edges. And more awkward than she'd like to admit. She sighed before speaking up, "Look, I'd feel better just getting my own stuff, but since we both have to go I guess it wouldn't make sense for us to not go together?" Wow, this was dumb. But she offered a tentative, if ill-fitting smile before another shrug as she moved in the direction of the store.

Lenalee Lee likes this.
  7. Lenalee Lee

Lenalee Lee D.Gray-man

Race:
    Human - Chinese
    Alignment:
    True Neutral
    [​IMG]

Lenalee simply beamed in response to Michelle. She knew that some people were naturally awkward, and she was starting to get the feeling that the other girl was one of them. But, she hadn't grown up around Kanda for nothing, and she was nothing if not persistent, so she kept smiling, even when the brunette seemed rather...grumpy. Lenalee couldn't blame her. She had spilled hot chocolate on all of her clothing, after all. Lenalee could feel it start to dry onto her clothing, continue to seep into her shoes. She'd have to replace them, which was a shame, because she was fond of this pair, but that was okay.

Lenalee shrugged, continuing to smile brightly. "I want to," she replied, so matter-of-fact that it seemed entirely natural. "I know that I don't like it, and its my fault you need to change." She really did not like it, and Lenalee hoped that Michelle would make up her mind soon, because this was starting to get quite uncomfortable, and people were starting to give them weird looks.

Lenalee continued to smile, an edge of triumph in it now. "Sounds good," the ex-Exorcist said, fully planning on paying for the replacement clothing. She doubted that she and Michelle would shop at the same stores, because they clearly had different styles, but that was okay. She could wait. Pulling out her phone, Lenalee quickly texted Toby to let her know what had happened, and who she was with. Moving in the same direction as Michelle, Lenalee continued to smile. "So what do you do, Michelle?" she asked brightly.

8. Michelle Jones

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good

[​IMG]
    She doesn't get it. She doesn't get why this girl is so insistent. They're just close-- easily washable and replacable. She doesn't have any obligation to stick around or help out with it. Michelle wasn't really that bothered by the whole ordeal, but it seemed the other girl wouldn't listen. Which was annoying on its own, but left her to only shrug her shoulders and give her a skeptical look. It seemed absurd to be that insistent-- She certainly wouldn't be.

"All right, whatever,"
    She conceded, somewhat helplessly The intent to be rude isn't there, but she'd probably consider later that she did sound as much. But she's not sure what else to say and she didn't particularly like repeating herself (it was fine; this was fine). She shook her head to herself, tugging at her bag a moment before glancing back. Lenalee was still smiling and Michelle definitely didn't smile that much. She wouldn't apologize for not being that friendly or smile-y. It just wasn't in her.

The girl's asking a question that made a brow shoot up as she glanced forward once more, shrugging a shoulder. "I'm still a kid, so... I go to school mostly. Work at a library/bookstore for room and board, but that's about it," She offered with easy confidence. Sure, she was mature for her age and confident but she still recognized that she was a kid. It didn't mean she wanted in some orphanage, but she wasn't going to become a high school drop out just because Pandora decided to leave her guardian-less.

She tossed the other girl a look, mild curiosity placed on her features. Then continued in the same easy manner, "Aren't you about the same age as me?" She seemed to be anyway. Couldn't be much older or younger-- at least in a physical standpoint. But the way she phrased it as if she had to be something felt weird, too adultlike. Even in Pandora she knew kids her age who still focused on school rather than living on their own and making a career. It hadn't even been her thought when she'd arrived-- She always knew she'd keep going to school, but it didn't sound much like Lenalee did anything of the sort.

Lenalee Lee likes this.
  9. Lenalee Lee

Lenalee Lee D.Gray-man

Race:
    Human - Chinese
    Alignment:
    True Neutral
    [​IMG]

Lenalee could hear the edge of resignation in Michelle's voice, but decided to simply take the win, continuing to head to the nearby mall. She figured that she'd let Michelle pick her clothing first, and then pay, and let the teenager go back to whatever she was doing before Lenalee had rudely run into her. She really had been in a hurry. Normally she was far more observant. Lenalee repressed a wince as walking caused hot chocolate, or, as it were, lukewarm chocolate, to drip down into the open wounds on her ankles. She simply grit her teeth and bared it.

She'd have to remember that, in future, remember not to forget to pay attention, because that was the way that Exorcists died, and, even with less Akuma around, there were still Akuma, because they were a constant, even here, and last time she had let her guard down, the office had been demolished. A cup of hot chocolate spilling on someone's clothing really was the best outcome that she could've hoped for, in the end.

Lenalee blinked. Michelle really was still a kid, a teenager. Working at a library/bookstore sounded nice. Quiet. And school...Lenalee knew nothing about school. She had never been. The Order had tutors (too many tutors, because so many of them were Finders, and every mission they went on was a risk.... Lenalee, in the space of a year, had had 60 different people teach her the same subject), but that was different. "That sounds lovely," she said, clearly a little unsure of what she was supposed to think. Michelle didn't talk as if she disliked it.

"I think so," the Exorcist replied, not really understanding what Michelle was getting at. "I'm--" a pause, because she had never known how old she was before Komui had came, surprised her on her birthday with a cake and a small party and as many gifts as he could scrounge up from the science department, while Reever ruffled her hair as she had wept, not knowing what it had meant, but amazed that it was all for her "--16, turning 17 soon. What about you?"

And why did it matter?