By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box.
Only the box is a world of its own.
We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.
Want to add a quote? Submit them here!
  1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Spring has arrived!
    Check out the Season Updates HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Have a nice day, Guest!
    Dismiss Notice

Private in the depths of your despair

Discussion in 'Elysium' started by Ellie Langford, Jan 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Ellie Langford

Ellie Langford Dead Space

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good
    @Isaac Clarke
    15th of December

Ellie woke slowly, cocooned in blankets and pillows. For a moment, she forgot that she wasn't alone. In the dark, it was easy to feel alone, but also easy to feel like someone was watching you (oh yay, 3AM philosophical tangents). She had no idea what had woken her up, but the silence of the dark was soon broken, and the answer became obvious. Isaac was... whimpering, crying out in his sleep. Nightmare. This had happened back on Luna, too, but these were slightly different circumstances.

She had to be careful how she woke him, because they both slept with guns at easy access distance, and Isaac might shoot her faster than she could convince him not to, especially coming out of a nightmare. For some reason, she got the feeling that fully waking up and realising that he shot her would have even worse effects on his mind, and she... well, either she was dealing with it, or dead. Lose-lose all around, really. She had to be careful.

Ellie started by placing a hand on his shoulder. "Isaac," she said softly, but her voice carried in the mostly empty room. "Wake up. It's not real. Wake up, Isaac." If this didn't work... well, there was always poking him with a really, really long stick until he woke up. It would probably get her shot, but it would handle the problem. Besides, she was talking about a really, really long stick.

Isaac Clarke likes this.
  2. Isaac Clarke

Isaac Clarke Dead Space

Dark corridors. Stale air. Something chasing him behind the shadows. The scene repeated itself once again inside Isaac's head but the familiarity never made it any less frightening. And this nightmare felt particularly realistic—not that the brain is any good at telling things apart when its asleep, but someone was definitely calling him. But he was tired, both physically and mentally, of running away and not confronting whatever was so intent of catching him. Back in his bed, he grabbed Ellie's arm before fully waking up and realizing what was going on. He somehow felt more tired than when he had gone to sleep.

After nervously looking around to confirm this was indeed his room, he let go of her arm. The Marker was seemingly limited to mimicking dead people and Ellie was still alive, as far as he could tell. Even if that wasn't the case, his hallucinations were usually more murderous. This was real. Of course.

"...I know."

Ellie Langford likes this.
  3. Ellie Langford

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good
    Ellie jumped as Isaac grabbed her arm out of nowhere, prepared to dodge if necessary. But instead he woke up, eyes wide, and let go. Ellie sighed in relief, and sat down on the bed next to him. Well, she hadn't been shot so she'd take it. "Are you sure?" she asked, and her tone only had a touch of dryness, mostly gentle. "A hundred percent sure?"

Isaac Clarke likes this.
  4. Isaac Clarke

Isaac Clarke Dead Space

Was this real anyway? That was always hard to tell. It certainly didn't help matters that a healthy amount of doubt lived at all times in the back of Isaac's mind. But for now, he decided not to listen to it and go back to resting his head on the pillow again.

"Yes. You are as annoying as usual."

5. Ellie Langford

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good
    Ellie raised an eyebrow. It was an annoying part of dating Isaac that made it hard to stay serious of meaningful for long. No matter what she said, it would end up in banter, and she would continue to walk the fine line between punching him in the face and kissing him. It was annoying. "Well then, next time I won't wake you up," Ellie replied. "Since I'm annoying and all."

#5 Ellie Langford, Jan 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    Isaac Clarke likes this.
  6. Isaac Clarke

Isaac Clarke Dead Space

"You knew full well what you were signing up for. And I don't accept refunds." he joked. It was much easier to do that now that he was awake. And safe. That was important. But even then, he was still suffering from more of those nightmares. They were always waiting for him, no matter when or how much he waited to fall asleep. At this point he was lucky not to remember his dreams from time to time. He shifted in the bed to more comfortably lay on it but there was only so much he physically could do to relax.

"...I think it's getting worse."

7. Ellie Langford

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good
    "If anyone is getting a refund, it's me," Ellie shot back, the darkness that lingered in the corners forgotten about for the moment. "Do you know how much shit I've had to put up with because of you?" The answer to that was obvious. Of course he did. As much as he tried to hide it, and usually failed, Isaac remembered everything. It was one of the problems with him. Well, it wouldn't be if the universe didn't seem to hate him personally.

And her, by extension.

Ellie sighed, and closed her eyes for a moment. "Of course it is," she said, mostly under her breath, but with no little amount of exasperation. Then she opened them, and sighed again. "Is it the Marker, or is it...other?" she asked, knowing what the answer would be, but hating it.

Isaac Clarke likes this.
  8. Isaac Clarke

Isaac Clarke Dead Space

Isaac tried to at the very least chuckle at Ellie's joke but he couldn't bring himself to. She didn't seem to keep the somewhat cheerful mood for long either. She had questions as usual, questions about his well-being he wasn't sure he could answer. It didn't help matters that he didn't want to make her feel unnecessarily worried about him, but there was a reason she had decided to stay here after all.

"I think... I hope it's the second."

It was a peaceful night and barring the attack from a while ago, nothing bad had happened. It was all in the past. Everything was fine at the moment. Everything would be fine for at least the rest of the night. It had to be.

"Or maybe a residue or something like it. You can never be too sure."

9. Ellie Langford

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good
    Ellie sighed. "We both know it isn't," she said, dropping all pretense. It was always the Marker. That or Unitologists, and they came from the Marker. Ellie regretted her choice of employment, sometimes. But hey, if she hadn't come to the Sprawl, she never would've met Isaac, and if it was a choice between zombies and Isaac....she'd choose Isaac. Probably. Not having to see her whole crew die would've been nice.

"I've noticed," she replied dryly, flopping back against the pillows with an audible thud. "You know that you've turned me into a paranoiac, right?"

Isaac Clarke likes this.
  10. Isaac Clarke

Isaac Clarke Dead Space

Ellie didn't buy the other explanation for a moment, as much as Isaac tried to sell it. It was honestly relieving, if a bit scary to open up. Although he was a little disappointed in his acting abilities. He could have sworn they were good enough to fool her.

"...I'm glad I don't have to lie around you."

Her remark about getting turned into a paranoiac could only be answered with a wisecrack of his own. It didn't sound like his heart was entirely into it, though. He didn't want her to suffer sensing danger in every corner regardless of how true said danger was but it sadly made two of them.

"Like attracts like."

11. Ellie Langford

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good
    "I'm glad you stopped trying," Ellie replied. "It was kinda pathetic watching you fail." There wasn't any bite in the words, except maybe faint tones of warning. She thought that Isaac would've learned by now not to lie to her. She knew why he kept trying, of course. He had a tendency to try and hide pain, that got very old, very quickly. "Apparently," she replied, raising an eyebrow. "I don't think I was like this before I met you." That was more like after the Sprawl, but that still counts.

Isaac Clarke likes this.
  12. Isaac Clarke

Isaac Clarke Dead Space

"I hope it was at least a little entertaining." Isaac answered. The fact she sounded more... tired than anything else wasn't exactly a good sign. This kind of back and forth was meant to make him open up. He wished he could just go back to sleep and start a new day but here they were still talking at who knew how late (early?) in the morning.

"I guess you can't survive an outbreak like that without some major changes. They just follow me wherever I go."