HeaderBox1

Welcome
to Pandora

By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box. Only the box is a world of its own.

We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.

Spotlight

Story Hub Banner

Want to add a quote? Submit them here!

1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The snow topped buildings and shops of Hogsmeade are all decked out for the holidays, ready for visitors! Make sure to visit while it's still here!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. A magical wish-granting pool has been discovered in the desert. Read more about it here
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The WRITING CONQUEST is back! Complete challenges and earn points for your team!
    Click here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Pandora is searching for staff.
    Click here for more information!

Private Legal System

Discussion in 'Parliament Building' started by Haldir of Lorien, May 5, 2017.

1. Haldir of Lorien

Haldir of Lorien Tolkien Legendarium

Marchwarden of Lothlórien
    Race:
    Silvan Elf
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

March 14th, Year 6

@Chief Judge Hershey

[​IMG]
    In the every society, people tended to dwell on the important and the insignificant matters alike. The flowers were used to decorate houses while the humans chose to spend their days trapped within concrete towers. Despite the differences of the countless individuals, a community looked like one solid piece that constantly vibrating with a remarkable energy and changing rapidly.

However, the cornerstone of a civilization were the laws and the rules which were created in order to maintain the balance and avoid injustice. Even in the marchwarden's homeland where the days hovered between the shadows and the starlight or more accurately swayed between death and survival, a set of explicit and understood regulations ensured the progress of their culture.

With the magical barrier helping the area to gain a level of stability concerning the supernatural activity, Haldir had decided to contact Pandora Town with the mere purpose to shape a new Justice System for Misty Hollow. The main city of the realm had achieved huge progress on that particular sector, thus, the Eldar wanted to cooperate with the department that was qualified to assist him.

After exchanging a few letters with the lady who had become the Head of Justice, the defender had finally arrived at his destination. The archer had traveled a long distance due to an arranged meeting and stood in front of an unfamiliar establishment. Without hesitation he walked through the front gate, leaving behind him the high fence which surrounded the Government's Headquarters.

Beyond the healthy gardens, he saw the door and moments later he had entered the elegant building. Confident footsteps carried him closer to the front desk and he offered a polite nod. “Greetings.” His hand rested on the hilt of his sword while the long bow and a quiver filled with arrows were secured on his back. Although he felt no fear, the anticipation threatened to overwhelm him.

“I am Haldir of Lorien, Misty Hollow's Head of Defense.” He introduced himself. “Chief Judge Hershey is expecting me.” His soft voice sounded steady and calm.

[​IMG]

Chief Judge Hershey likes this.
  2. Chief Judge Hershey

Chief Judge Hershey Judge Dredd

Head - Dept. of Justice
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Neutral
    The message came through pretty quickly; the man Hershey had been hoping to see for some time had arrived. Brushing away the documents on her desk into a file neatly perching them somewhere they wouldn't be in the way, she pressed the button to her desk intercom.
    "Good, send him in."

It had been a tough month, and that was probably something of an understatement. Hershey had the experience to deal with a political job like this, thankfully, but what was difficult wasn't the responsibilities of the role - it was the limitations. Not for the first time, she had to wonder at the sheer level of power she and by extension the Judge System as a whole had wielded back home, and not necessarily in a good way.

Still, she'd always been up for a challenge, and that was what this was, right?
    Standing up, Hershey greeted her counterpart with a smile. Haldir wasn't the sort of policeman most might have expected; in fact, from what he'd told her in his letters to her, calling him a policeman was probably quite inaccurate. Still, his passion for law and order chimed well with her own, and when he'd proposed a meeting to work together on a project for his own town, Hershey had been more than happy to say yes.
    "Good to meet you at last. I hope you didn't run into trouble getting here? I understand there's still a small bandit issue in the plains, I haven't heard that it's too serious but... well, you can never be sure."

3. Haldir of Lorien

Race:
    Silvan Elf
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]
    Admittedly, the main town of this foreign land appeared more advanced on a few levels. The technology looked slightly different than the magic he was familiar with. Moreover, a larger number of individuals held government position which enabled them to share the responsibilities regarding the safety and prosperity of the entire community. Nevertheless, Haldir had a goal and a purpose for visiting the city and he remained focused.

The Eldar entered the lady's office with his long cloak flapping behind his feet, each step speaking of pure confidence. Upon reaching her desk, he stopped in order to greet her properly. “Mae govannen.” He responded before placing one hand upon his chest where his heart rested while proceeding in a polite curtsy. Haldir had always deemed the noble tongue of his kin the best way to initiate a conversation. Although Pandora was going to translate his words, he felt both proud and happy whenever using them.

His arm fell slowly back to his side close to the sheathed sword which was hanging from his belt. “The news travel fast.” He confirmed. The unearthly calmness in his soft voice conveyed the impression that no troubling matter was without solution. “Information of similar incidents claimed my attention as well. Unfortunately, the area lays beyond our jurisdiction.”

Even though the elf disliked not handling a situation, he also acknowledged the importance of certain boundaries. Simple things like laws or borders tended to preserve the peace. “Yet, the journey ended without any inconveniences. I thank you for your concern and it is an honor to be accepted in your office.” He offered the slightest hint of smile which lightened up the fair facial features.

[​IMG]

((OOC : Mae govannen. = Well met))

4. Chief Judge Hershey

Head - Dept. of Justice
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Neutral
    Well, whatever else he was, Haldir was as polite in person as he had been in their other correspondence. Hershey decided she quite liked the guy.
    "Good to hear - and the honour's all mine, really. Do you want anything to drink?"
    One of the smaller advantages to being elected to public office was the little minibar in the Department Head's office. Admittedly, she'd stripped out all of the alcohol in it once she'd moved in, but Hershey had found that the little fridge worked just as well for the fruit juices she'd become addicted to.

"So, you're responsible for Misty Hollow, then? I understand the political system there's not too different from our own - how have you found the work so far?"
    Inviting Haldir to sit, Hershey sat down herself on one of the comfy office chairs she'd asked for. They were good for interviews, being just comfortable enough for guests (and herself) to relax while not so comfortable that anyone lost focus. So far, so good - this was a lot easier than dealing with East-Meg Two, for instance.

5. Haldir of Lorien

Race:
    Silvan Elf
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]
    Haldir had been one of the few elves who had traveled beyond the borders of the Golden Wood back in Middle Earth. Therefore, ha had become accustomed to the habits of Men. Careful as not to offend the host, he answered politely to her offer. “A glass of water would be much appreciated. Thank you.” Then he followed her and sat on the comfortable office chair opposite from hers.

Then he started to share information about Misty Hollow. “Indeed, I am responsible. Not merely as a Head of Defense, but as a keeper of the Barrier as well. Despite the current absence of council members, hopefully this shall change soon. Admittedly, it is a rather demanding occupation.” After a brief pause, he added. “Where a community is build, I find, hardships are never far behind. We have suffered a lot of misfortunes, yet, within our borders we endured.”

Considering this realm was far from his homeland, the marchwarden was not in the midst of a great war any more. Back in his homeland Haldir had yearned for peace for a very long time, but he had only witnessed the darkness descending and he had fought against a great evil. Now, in a different world, a veil of tranquility had finally covered his town and he was trying to deal with new situation. “I understand Pandora Town had its fair share of troubles as well.”

[​IMG]

6. Chief Judge Hershey

Head - Dept. of Justice
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Neutral
    "It has - but it's like you said, really. Find me a city which hasn't had it's fair share of trouble, and I'll show you a city whose history books could do with a little editing."
    Once they were both sat down, Hershey began taking the necessary documents from her desk - she'd had at least a few things prepared for this meeting, in the hopes it would help things go a little more smoothly.

"So, let's get right to it. I understand you're attempting to set up a solid legal code for Misty Hollow - something I approve heavily of, naturally. What is it I can do to help you in that? Are there particular documents you'd like to look over, or is it more the structure of our laws you're interested in?"
    It was curious, really, that the Hollow hadn't managed to do this previously - but then, given its history, there was probably a good reason for that. Everyone had heard by now of the trouble the town had faced before the Barrier was created, and Hershey knew what it was like to have to prioritise certain tasks above others for the greater good.

Even here, it was tough at the top!

7. Haldir of Lorien

Race:
    Silvan Elf
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]
    The defender nodded when the woman mention that every city had witnessed atrocities which related to reality even in Middle Earth. Despite the fact that individualism had always been a part of the elven communities, it was not a common idea. Nevertheless, the general notion of property and the seldom deals with mortals had allowed them to become accustomed to the concept of laws. As stewards of nature, they preferred to protect and care for their own.

His kin were usually preoccupied with a variety of tasks, including smithery and sculpturing along with music and several other arts. Both males and females grew and lived in equal terms, yet, the elf maids often displayed a tendency in developing healing talents while the males defended the realms against threats. The segregation of duties resulted from the general belief that taking a life would surely interfere with the ability to preserve life. On the other hand, no rigid roles were imposed on them. Therefore, females could handle themselves in battle as skillfully as males and a number of males proved rather gifted healers too.

Aside from the daily routine, elves did not spend much time in the creation of a strict judge system. Awareness existed concerning the punishment of an evil act and their heats remained true to that knowledge. Whenever an Eldar committed foul deeds during the long lifespan which was followed by a firm refusal to repent, then the Valar could delay the spirit’s re-embodiment while enforcing specific conditions or deny it altogether. As Haldir had learn the process sounded more like ‘punishment after death’ to the World of Men.

People of his town though needed stability and written rules in order to leave fear behind them. So Haldir had to adjust. “It is kind of you to say so.” He answered when the lady mentioned how she approved of his decision. “I seek access to both.” He added politely, knowing that he was asking too much. “Changes may prove inevitable, yet, the structure shall be of great aid. The societies of my kin were never concerned with the subtleties of politics but, beyond any doubt, the resident of Misty Hollow are going to feel more safe with the new regulations.”

[​IMG]

8. Chief Judge Hershey

Head - Dept. of Justice
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Neutral
    Nodding, Hershey began to pull out various files and sheafs of paper. She could cover the basics quite easily; the major laws and regulations, as well as the minor statutes.
    "Here's the full legal code, as signed into existence by the first Head of my Department. She was pretty thorough; I understand that after the civil war, there was a real sense that any future government had to be seen as more just than the Monarchy, so Ms. Walters went out of her way to be as transparent as possible about what was legal and what wasn't."

Once the full legal code was spread out for Haldir to look at, Hershey reached into another filing cabinet - this one behind her desk, and taller than she was - to fish out some court cases. Writing the law was one thing, but seeing how it got applied in a real-world context was also important.
    "I've also got some examples for you. These are court cases where we've had to test our legal system out - look for loopholes, flaws, that kind of thing. Some of it is standard, and some of these trials relate to unlicensed vigilantes; those are probably our trickiest trials, to be honest. Does this help?"