HeaderBox1

Welcome
to Pandora

By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box. Only the box is a world of its own.

We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.

Spotlight

Story Hub Banner

Want to add a quote? Submit them here!

1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The snow topped buildings and shops of Hogsmeade are all decked out for the holidays, ready for visitors! Make sure to visit while it's still here!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. A magical wish-granting pool has been discovered in the desert. Read more about it here
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The WRITING CONQUEST is back! Complete challenges and earn points for your team!
    Click here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Pandora is searching for staff.
    Click here for more information!

Let's Rewrite The Stars

Discussion in 'AU Board' started by Nikola Tesla, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Nikola Tesla

Nikola Tesla Sanctuary

Fate Is Pulling You Miles Away From Me

But You are Here In My Heart

It had been a few years. Reunions were supposed to be happy things, bright and beautiful and both parties were supposed to be aware that was the reason they were seeing each other. But not this couple. Not that they were a couple. Not yet. Probably never. Why she’d want a slightly crazy, blood sucking, almost narcissistic vampire he’d never know. But he knew he was other things too: pacifist, mostly, a great dancer, cuts an amazing figure in a suit, an inventor genius, a discoverer, a pioneer, a genius, a light. The good always seemed to outweigh in the bad and he found himself relying upon that.

News had reached him of a very much single Magnus, the flapper era was well under way, and she hadn’t taken a break in oooohhhh seven years? Theirs was a complicated relationship. He found himself unable to just turn up - that would be suspicious, nor could he invite her along - she’d deny him. He could admit there was an interesting conference in town by a little known man studying abstract genetics and she should come hear him speak. Apparently he was a fan of Helen’s and would jump at the chance to have her speak about her mutation theories (which were more fact than theories but, you know, humans). And if he was perfectly honest, he did want her to help him sabotage the latest work of Edison’s.

Unable to simply invite her, he sent her a message implying distress. He had to admit he was a little distressed - with longing more than anything else. Her twisted and broken relationship with John still left her cut and always would he suspected. Nikola had more or less been warned away by Watson who thought Nikola would try to rub it in which was quite frankly insulting. She needed to get away from the shadow of a man who had never loved her for her and spend time with the man who did.

While Nikola’s message found its way to her he lay the ground work: securing tickets to the conference and ensuring a tour of Edison’s stupid faced offices at a time convenient to his sabotage intentions. And there was wind of a dig nearby that she would absolutely adore if she allowed herself to relax enough. If he tossed in a little work he might even be able to convince her to steal away with him a little longer. He supposed he must be thanking her, for being her. She did promise to catch him when he fell and she did.

He was keeping pigeons in Vienna, an effort to soothe his soul while Edison had him shipped out here, out of the way. Oh sorry on placement. A representative to this new glorious office masquerading as a cramped and damp place. But it held vitally important work to Edison so he sent his brightest and best.

@Helen Magnus

#1 Nikola Tesla, Jan 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    Shelke likes this.
  2. Helen Magnus

Helen Magnus Sanctuary

Doctor, Scientist, Badass
    Race:
    Abnormal
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link

[​IMG]
    As was typical, when Nikola cried for help
    Helen wasn't far behind running to his rescue. It seemed silly even in a changing world for a woman to run to the aid of a man but those who found it funny didn't know Helen Magnus and they didn't know Nikola Tesla. Nikola was the master of getting himself into trouble and Helen happened to be skilled at getting people out of trouble. The location however was a bit unusual. Vienna, what could he have possibly gotten himself into here? This was the more beautiful part of Europe as well, if he ran around destroying the place she was bound to be upset.

Helen went to the address Nikola had told her to meet him, it was a bit bellow Nikola's usual budget or appeal. He was a man of fine tastes, he enjoyed the finer things in life and to have him in the rundown little establishment made her wonder if he was trying to lay low. Had he borrowed money from the wrong people? Upset Edison or the American government? Helen had tried to feel out for answers in America as well as Vienna before coming. Not wanting to walk into a potential trap but so far none of her contacts had heard anything. Walking inside the building she looked around before climbing the steps to the higher levels. The place was a bit rickety, perhaps even had bugs in it. A far cry from the Sanctuary and the good funding they had from the British government.

People could argue Helen's research was being done off the blood money for killing Adam Worth and stopping his mad reign of terror across the world. It wasn't something she took lightly, even less so since John had gone into hiding. Helen hadn't spoken with him for years now, the silence slowly eating away at her until James told her to just give it up. Druitt wasn't coming back and perhaps it was for the best. She could never assume they would have come together again and had a happy life. He was a killer, a mad man, deranged. No matter how he promised her he had reformed Helen could never escape the terror and abuse he had put her through. Making her helpless, making her feel small. Something Helen promised herself would never happen again which was why she had taken up the delicate art of learning to protect herself, with or without a weapon in hand.

Reaching the floor Nikola had specified Helen walked up to the door knocking lightly. She was on high alert in the event it wasn't Nikola who answered but rather someone else. Someone who might be after him or might have taken him. She had to assume the worst while hoping for the best. "Nikola?" Helen kept her voice low, leaning closer to the door to listen for any suspicious movement. If someone was in there who didn't belong they would either get very quiet in hopes she assumed no one was in or they would move quick to get out a window. Either way she was fully ready to take down a door if needed to apprehend them. "It's me, it's Helen." If it was Nikola she wouldn't have needed to say who it was even, he would have recognized her voice. That one of a kind English charm oozing with Victorian elegance.

3. Nikola Tesla

Nikola Tesla Sanctuary

But You are Here in My Heart

Helen wasn’t going to be too happy when she learned he had gotten her here under false pretences. That she came, so quickly, and she would rush, for who knew what he meant by help, was always something of an amazement to Nikola. She was so sweet, to be so concerned, and mildly insulting if he was honest. In the not so distant future he’d accidentally, unintentionally nearly destroy New York whilst looking into Geomagnetic disturbances and how Earthquakes worked. He didn’t mean to cause any distress, hurt or pain with his work but sometimes it was inevitable, especially if you hadn’t quite understood how nature worked. But the world should be thankful. His faux pas would help pave the way for the Richtor Scale and beyond.

They both already knew the smile he would give her when he revealed he hadn’t been up to anything terribly nefarious, other than wanting her her to help him sabotage Edison. Oh don’t be like that. It was for the best interest of everyone. What he had sent Nikola to work on was dangeorus, but unfortunately he had been watched and would need a bit of a distraction in order to undo the bad he had done. So he supposed he was actually a little in distress. What was a little industrial sabotage between friends? Even Helen wouldn’t want this to come to fruition.

But mostly Nikola was using this as an excuse to see his dearest friend. It had been too long since it had been just the two of them, forced too often to share with other men who didn’t appreciate her brilliance the way he did. Nikola wanted her all to himself, but it wasn’t to be, other than stealing her away for a few weeks. Maybe a month if he could manage. Maybe.

Nikola tried to make the place look the best he could. It wasn’t his choice but he was still awaiting payment and fighting with Edison took time. Edison swore if he continued he’d make his life difficult but Nikola felt that it was only fair to pay your employees. The only reason Nikola had stayed around this long was because he wanted to keep an eye on the man . He was deranged. Everyone thought he was this clever, charming sociliate scientist. But he was nothing but a cunning businessman with a generous helping of psycho.

The knock on the door made him smile, and he smiled even wider at the anxious ‘It’s me, It’s Helen,’ that followed. Oh dear. She must be thinking the worst. This was as much as he could afford at the moment while he worked on a project that had no right to exist. Nikola went to the door immediately and opened it with a flourish.

”Helen,” he smiled. ”Welcome to my humble abode,” he invited her in. ”You got here faster than I expected,” he commented wondering if he had laid it on a little thick. But then after the last time and all the business with John he supposed it wasn’t a surprise she was anxious about getting his mess sorted. At least time it wasn’t his own mess and it take about fifteen minutes to sort and then he could spend the rest of the time showing Helen a good time. She needed a break.

Helen Magnus likes this.
  4. Helen Magnus

Helen Magnus Sanctuary

Race:
    Abnormal
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link

[​IMG]
    She worried a bit more when he took his time to actually open the door, a sense of dread came over Helen, preparing herself to throw herself into the door with all her might and get into the room one way or another but just as she coiled her body to break in and take out whoever might be inside the door swung open to Nikola standing on the other side and looking rather chipper. "Nikola?" She looked a little cross with him and let out a sigh. Had he just called her here for the hell of it? The entertainment? She was busy with the Sanctuary and it was hard for her to just be summoned for no reason at all. She had come here thinking he was in danger but the only thing in danger here was her patience for him.

Stepping into his lab she looked around a moment, her blue eyes shifting back to him as she flicked a lock of golden curls over her shoulder. "I thought you were in danger, you did make it sound a bit urgent in your letter but now I see the only thing you are in danger of is being in a hovel. Did it insulted your sense of taste?" Was he going to ask to borrow money for something? Of course if he did the answer would be yes because Helen believed in Nikola even when James told her not to. In fact he had been riled up over this whole situation insisting he go with her as backup. Someone had to stay and keep an eye on things at the sanctuary. Better he stay back then both of them leave and have it open to accidents.

"James did warn me this might be one of your little tricks to get me here, he's been going on about it since I got your letter." He was always looking out for her and yet Helen was still running happily into danger, after Nikola. There had been a bit of a comment made to Helen. James in that oh so judgmental tone of his, when you knew he made an observation and hated him for being right. No matter the circumstance if Nikola called Helen went running to him. James had insisted her haste of leaving London was wrapped around a twisted sense that Helen missed Nikola. She had gotten cross with James but at the same time he had been so right, she hated when he was right, especially about her as he so often was. That habit was going to get him in trouble with her one day.

Picking up one of his electrodes Helen turned her attention back to him. "Alright Nikola, spill it. Why did you call me here and don't say it's because your life is in danger. You and I both know that isn't true. You haven't done something have you?" Helen always sort of blamed him for something, things he didn't even need to admit to because some part of her already knew he had done it. She was a bit hard on him at times but Nikola was famous for being trouble as James often pointed out. She hated it and yet she loved it all the same. He drove her crazy but in the best of ways even if he could cross the line. Crossing her arms over her chest she tilted her head to the side waiting to hear his answer. That look on her face saying 'you better make it good'.

5. Nikola Tesla

Nikola Tesla Sanctuary

Nikola really had missed Helen. It was an honest an emotion as he could get though if you asked the right people they'd tell you all of Nikola's emotions were genuinely felt. He may emulate irritation or bitterness but actually feel playful but that was as about as indepth his deception got. Once clued into this he was surprisingly easy to read. Helen had figured that out fairly quickly but the others still seemed to struggle with that.

Oi. She was really quite irritated. More so than he had anticipated. Surely she knew by now he wouldn't just take advantage? She took her work too seriously to tolerate it. Thinking on it for a moment Nikola had to concede he did at least understand where she was coming from. But still. So quick to judge from the so called non judgey person.

“No don't he silly,” he replied. “That would be extreme to the ridiculous even for me,” duh he thought. He might not always use his common sense but it was there rattling around a slightly dusty recess. He failed to comment on his current living conditions. He didn't really want to go into the whole I'm broke deal. It wasn't why he asked her here and she would think it was. He might like the finer things but he could manage with much less.

“And it is so sweet that you rushed over here. I knew you cared,” he grinned. It might not seem heartfelt but it really was. That Helen was moved so quickly to help lifted his weary soul. “Would it be so bad if I did just miss you?” he asked. “It's not like I can just pop round for tea. Or in my case wine because why have leaves when you can have grapes?” he sassed lightheartedly. He supposed he could just pop around but that would give far too much away and he felt vulnerable enough as it was. “And Watson has no sense of adventure,” he complained.

Oh dear. She had her ‘I mean business’s face on. He hated that face. It always meant Helen was going to be sensible and he relief on her whimsy as much as anything else. Nikola gave her a sheepish smile, eyes conveying innocence like only he knew how. “Well there's this great little conference a out genetics that I know you'll love. The professor isn't well known but his work is more than sound, it's radical and you know how I can't resist whacky ideas. There's a dig in the next city over that holds all sorts of abnormal implications and promise and I need your help to ruin Edison's latest pet project. And I know you haven't taken a break in what? At least seven years?” Nikola asked burying Edison amongst everything else even though he knew she would spot it but he just couldn't help it. It was his way. Everyone had their faults. This was his. “I know work is great but you need to breathe every so often otherwise you'll never see the world you're working so hard to protect.”

Helen Magnus likes this.
  6. Helen Magnus

Helen Magnus Sanctuary

Race:
    Abnormal
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link

[​IMG]
    Helen felt like she should be defensive when he pointed out that she had rushed over quickly to his aid and it was a clear sign she cared about him. "Of course I do, you're my friend." Helen pointed out rather mater of factly. Not yet jaded by events that would haunt her in the future not to mention tricking her and then sicking his vampire 'army' on her which tend to make a woman a little bitter. Helen still had that light hearted affection for her friend, that constant concern for him even if he was so good at getting himself into trouble. He mentioned that he could have just missed her. Leaning back into his work table she set her palms down on it and rested herself down on the smooth work space for a moment as he continued on by saying he couldn't just stop in for tea.

"I would never mind if you did, my home is always open to you Nikola." Granted James lived with her at the Sanctuary now. He had been for some time after John had vanished on them, partially so Helen had someone there for her and also in some noble sense to protect her in the event the mad man showed his face again. James had always been protective of her, sometimes a little too much. As if he feared Helen couldn't protect herself and perhaps once upon a time that was true but Helen had changed. She had adapted and learned to look after herself out of necessity. Times were changing and no more were women just quiet sheep who followed their father or husband. They were writers, singers, doctors, and fighters. Women were standing up and giving it their all, Helen just hoped they could all keep up the momentum.

Helen cocked her head a little when he started telling her what he had really brought her here for. Crossing her arms over her chest she smirked a bit hearing he wanted to take her to a conference about genetics. "Oh?" Color her a little surprised, more so because Helen tried to keep up to date with as many conferences as she could. It was single handedly the best place to recruit into the Sanctuary. This was something she might enjoy attending. Wait, what was that? Ruin Edison's work? Helen let out a sigh and that disproving look. "Listen Nikola, I don't agree with Edison either but I won't sabotage someones work just because you have it out with him." Sometimes Nikola could seem so selfless and then she was reminded it was only a show, he was still his selfish old self.

Was he really trying to spin this as a vacation? He knew she never took those, Helen got tired quickly when she had nothing to do. Restless was more like it. Looking away for a moment she knew she wasn't going to help Nikola with his little war against Edison but there was one thing she could justify staying for. Glancing back at him she raised a brow. "I'd be happy to go to the conference but a break Nikola? You know me, since when have I ever taken a break?" Helen could be ill and she was still working hard with Sanctuary matters. "So, when is this conference anyways? I'll need to let James know it might be a while before I get back."

7. Nikola Tesla

Nikola Tesla Sanctuary

It was typical, when Nikola cried for help, for him to cry for Helen. He trusted no one else not to kick him while he was down, not to judge while he was vulnerable, not to give up when it looked like there might be reason. He trusted Helen, and only Helen, to know what his soul was worth saving andby asking her to help, he was asking her to do just that. Guiding him back to the light was sometimes a full time occupation, like nursing a child through a tantrum, but it was possible and it was well worth it in the end. Helen knew him well enough by now that his intentions were rarely bad, just often misguided. Sometimes terribly planned.

The others didn’t like to admit it but Nikola’s plans and schemes were not bent towards evil. You couldn’t even say they were nefarious, just, a bit scoundrel like. A bit mischievous. A bit..fun. Nikola never experimented without first having considered every permutation before hand and picked apart every conceivable eventuality and then a few silly ones for good measure. Only then did he try something but that didn’t mean his devices were always perfect. Soon, very soon, unknown t o them, he’d nearly accidentally, unintentionally, destroy New York.

”It means a great deal wot me,” he said. ”Really it does,” because Helen was busy and he knew Watson was working on her to dump him and John had put her through the worst time imaginable. He doubted even Watson suspected the true extent of it. Tesla didn’t know of course but insight into Johnny’s mind and a crackling imagination meant he wasn’t too far off the mark. That had the odd bout of stalking was more revealing than he had ever hoped it would be. Unknown to her sometimes it could have been worse. Should have been worse. But good ol’ Jack always seemed to know when he was being scrutinised.

Nikola did not believe this. Maybe he was too bitter to do so but he liked to think himself too realistic. He shook his head. ”You’d only think I wanted something. Or done something. Or there was something to fix,” he listed. Or he was too broke to afford animal blood and he’d find the kitchen stocked with it and a complaining team of underdevelopeds. ”Besides I don’t think your guardian angel would approve,” he intoned. He was grateful James had such care for her but the man was stuffy and too cautious. He too would hold her back if she allowed it. Up himself, was Watson. Why he was the only one who saw it he wasn’t sure. Maybe it was because he didn’t marvel at Watson’s ‘brilliance’. Even with the Source Blood he couldn’t do what Nikola did. Or Helen.

AHA! See he knew she’d like the idea of a conference. She was a sucker for those especially if it was about her pet favourite: genetics. ”Might even let you speak if you ask nicely. I hear he’s a fan,” he said as though it were a secret, eyes bright and twinkling. Then she had to ruin it by being so Helen like. Why couldn’t she just agree for once. Edison was crazy! How could she not see that? It occurred to him with his busy work that maybe she didn’t realise he was fundamentally wacko since it kept her so busy. ”Have it out with him?” he asked, insulted. ”You think this is because I’m at odds with him?” he asked. ”Helen, there are at least five scientists who are using patents for designs and discoveries that are mine but you don’t see me tearing into them, now do you?” he pointed out. ”The man doesn’t care about anything but profit. Helen, he publicly tortured animals and this lead to using my work to murder people because he wanted a government contract,Nikola said growing more visibly upset as he spoke. He was agitated. He didn’t like thinking about what Edison had done. Those poor animals. Those people. They might be idiot humans, cruel criminals and had it coming but they died horrible horrible deaths marketed as ‘humane’ but a man who didn’t know what humane was! ”It wasn’t what it was meant for!

He took Helen’s shoulders and held her gaze. Normally he wouldn't be so straight but he was growing desperate: he was a man running out of time. ”I am many things Helen. Watson tried to talk you out of coming didn’t he?” he asked. ”He did, of course he did. Said I wasn’t safe and the like,” he rambled. ”Everything I have done has been for science and the betterment of this world. Anything gone wrong as been geniune. Now consider this. Some of the greatest atrocities of our time alone have been committed by humans. Not me. The vampire. Humans,” he pointed out. ”Can some of my inventions be twisted up? Yes. You can cut meat because someone invented a knife, then someone decided to stab another, so let’s start a witch hunt on the person who made it easier for you to slice bread,”

Nikola span away. ”Helen. Thomas is an self entitled idiot who only wants more money. He doesn’t listen to anyone. I wouldn’t have involved you but he’s got people watching what I’m doing so I need a distraction to do what needs to be done,” He turned to look at her. ”Or do you want another repeat of X-Rays and Radar?”

”If you think this is some cruel vendetta,”
    he said quietly. ”Because I don’t like that someone saw another application for my work I didn’t think of. Then you can get out,” he told her. ”You wouldn’t have thought so badly of me if I’d still been human,” he muttered.

”What do you have against having a break? Is it because you’ll think too much if you stop?”
    Nikola asked. ”Or is it because you think the world will fall apart of you take a moment for yourself?” he asked another because a hurt, agitated Nikola could be mean sometimes in an effort to distract himself from his own feelings.

Helen Magnus likes this.
  8. Helen Magnus

Helen Magnus Sanctuary

Race:
    Abnormal
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link

[​IMG]
    "James? Hardly." James didn't approved to Helen running off alone to the aid of Nikola when he felt the man wasn't someone you could trust. If anything it wasn't so much that James felt Nikola would hurt Helen. In fact he agreed Nikola wouldn't let harm come to her, that much he knew. It was other concerns, particularly so soon after John had broken her heart time and time again. 'Soon' being a rather relative term James used. It wasn't the 1800's anymore but James was concerned Nikola would be less than honorable with Helen now that she was single. James was concerned he would to put it bluntly stop at nothing to bed her while she was vulnerable and then break her heart. Helen on the other hand felt she had no heart left to break after John. Nikola could try if he wanted, try as hard as he might but he'd never scratch it or come close to the damage John had caused.

Helen perked up more when Nikola mentioned she might even be able to speak at this conference since the speaker was a fan of hers. Helen loved nothing more than to educate others on genetics. Depending on the audience she had to cut out her work with abnormals but her lectures were well known at this point. She normally had a rather full auditorium when she spoke, young students, old names in the fields, those who were newer to the field. Helen appealed to so many people because her work was so new and fascinating and nothing drew a crowd quite like curiosity and something new. Of course it was short lived as Tesla started to go off about Edison. It was a conversation they had often these days. Edison was a crook and a monster but he was also a business man which was the only reason he had made it this far. Standing on the coat tails of genius like Nikola and doing it all for nothing but profit. No, Helen didn't like him or agree with him and he had been the only scientist she had scoffed at when he had tried to reach out to her.

She also didn't want to get involved in Nikola's war with him because she was getting to work on a New York Sanctuary and she knew very well that Edison could make her life hell if he wanted to. Helen walked forward to Nikola and took his hand when he finally went off about the injustice Edison had caused. "Nikola, I know." She spoke and looked at him with those sad eyes. Hurt that her friend was pushed into a corner by a con artist and being taken advantage of. Helen walked closer to him and wrapped her arms around him pulling him into a hug. Resting her hands on his back as she rested her head against his shoulder for a moment. He became impossible when he really was off on his rant about everything, more so Edison and the fact that Nikola had never intended for his work to be considered unethical. She let out a little sigh and finally let him go, holding onto his arms as she stepped back.

"Alright, I'll help you with Edison, just this once, act as a distraction but I can't get caught up in it. I'm just as heavily apart of the American political field as he is, as you are. I can only have so much involvement in this without dragging my work under the cross hairs." Helen raised her finger up as if to add something else to this as well, a stipulation. "And James is to never know I did this, I'd never hear the end of it." He was so against her getting mixed up into Nikola's messes and plans. Helen was the responsible one between the two, Nikola and herself of course. When it came to James she wouldn't deny that he was a bit more responsible which was good for her. He made her sensible and had helped her grow up from her wide eyes youth into a proper leader. He expected so much of Helen because she had to give her all for the Sanctuary.

Nikola picked on her about her not wanting to take a vacation. "If I'm at the Sanctuary then I know everything is in order and on track. As soon as I step away I'm no longer up to date with our situation." She didn't like being in the dark and Helen was a bit of a micromanager. "You could say in a way everything might fall apart if I'm not there to hold it all together."

9. Nikola Tesla

Nikola Tesla Sanctuary

James was a stiff upper lip kind of guy. He was straight laced and detached. To be honest he never understood what Helen saw in him. She needed someone interesting and James was more a passing curiosity.. A knack knack you picked up and played with idly before putting down again and moving along. He was pleasant so you might come back but he was hardly made of addictive stuff.. Overcautious to a fault Watson definitely pled for her to stay lest she become corrupted by Nikola's adventurous attitude.

Nikola noticed immediately that Helen had perked up. He knew she would. It was like feeding candy to a baby. He'd probably be able to lure her all over the world with conferences and seminars and teaching classes. For a while at least. Reality bites and it bites hard. But he had a hook here with Helen and she was being swayed by it. nothing wrong with a bit of temptation now and then.

Oh wow. Wow, Nikola thought as Helen wrapped him up in a hug. He wasn't a touchy feely guy but this felt amazing. Nikola felt a little like his body was being warmed, a gentle fire igniting beneath his skin. It might have been sparked by electricity for all he knew. His obsession spoke to him at the strangest moments.

He pulled back when she did though he didn't want to but he knew better than to ask for more before she was able to give. And he knew in his heart she never would. John had made this sweet generous heartfelt was careful. Distant. Almost closed off. She already held herself differently..

Nikola grinned in relief. “Have I told you you're an amazing woman lately?” Nikola asked and gave her another hug because if he didn't hide his face for a moment he'd kiss her and he was sure that was precisely the kind of thing James was talking about. “You won't regret it.. I just need you to talk to someone and I'll do the rest. It won't be weird,” he explained. The less she knew the better. If something did go wrong, well, she'd be able to deny everything.. He'd already worked all of this out. “Who's James?” he asked.

”Just you wait Helen,” he replied with passion. ”One day we’ll hold the world in our pockets, never mind our hands,” Nikola dreamed big when he dreamed, which was all the time. It was what made him an excellent inventor and fantastic poet. Not that he wrote poetry but that had been the dream, at first. ”We’ll be connected to everything one day, and I don’t think it’s going to take us that long to figure it out,” but things would happen and he’d be out the picture and some other clever soul would snag the invention of the world wide web but that was OK. Mechanical and electricals were more his thing anyway. ”Then you can take a break without being out of the loop at all!” Not that he was going to be able to convince her to take leave of her precious Sanctuary, nor would he ask her to. But it had been so long, not counting that dinner she wasn’t mentioning and so he wasn’t going to either.

Helen Magnus likes this.
  10. Helen Magnus

Helen Magnus Sanctuary

Race:
    Abnormal
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link

[​IMG]
    Helen smirked when he asked her if he had told her what an amazing woman she was lately, she was about to comment that he had said so the last time they had met but Tesla had stepped in to give her another hug. One Helen happily returned. Nikola promised her she wouldn't regret this. She really hoped she wouldn't come to regret it or James would never stop in his constant lectures to her. "Talk to someone? Who do I need to talk to?" Naturally Helen was curious, she wanted details in the event she ran into trouble and had to start thinking up escape plans or how to change the situation to make it work for her. "You aren't using this conference as the distraction are you?" Helen was starting to feel like there must be something to this. What would Edison be doing in the genetics field?

He told her one day they would hold the world in their pockets, something that actually made Helen feel a bit uncomfortable. "I already have a lot of responsibility without having to hold the whole world in my pocket Nikola." She wasn't a vampire, that world domination thing had never really appealed to her. "I just want to make the Sanctuary the primary force used to deal with abnromals and helping them, studying them, understanding them." Helen wanted to help usher in a world where abnormals would be safe and accepted though that world may never happen. She had to accept her entire life would be spent trying to protect them and keep them a secret.

She laughed when he brought up that when they had more recognition and power she could take a vacation without being out of the loop. "Well if that day ever happens please remind me because as it stands now I couldn't ever imagine why I would want to have a break. What would I do? I'd become restless after a day." Vacations, they just weren't something that appealed to her too much. People sitting around and enjoying themselves? What if what Helen enjoyed was her work? What if what she enjoyed was adventure? Leaning back into his work table she crossed her ankles a little and looked out towards the window at the city outside. Vienna was beautiful, especially this time of year.

Looking back to Tesla she tilted her head slightly to the side. "So what are we doing first, a conference or upsetting the balance by giving it to Edison?" She could actually admit she was a bit hungry since she hadn't eaten much on her way over. She had been too worried about Tesla for that. "I haven't eaten yet today, care to get out of your little lab and get something? My treat." She offered knowing he wouldn't have a lot in the way of money anymore. If Nikola was good at anything it was spending his money on his projects. He was lucky he was always findind someone to fund his little projects.

Nikola Tesla likes this.
  11. Nikola Tesla

Nikola Tesla Sanctuary

Oh good. He had been a little concerned the second hug, followed so quickly from the first would have been considered too forward. Not that he had any intentions! Well he did. He had lots of intentions where Helen was concerned but he wasn’t going to be...too forward about them. Being forward would have its day, but that day was not this day and would have to wait. Oh dear. He was unusually nervous for a man meeting an old friend. If said friend happened to be insanely gorgeous, utterly attractive, fantastically brilliant and held his heart in her well shaped dainty hands, then so be it. He’d just have to work on being less...Tesla...like.

Oh come on. Even he didn’t think that was possible.

”Just a someone,” he said. ”That is a someone who likes your work,” and you, he didn’t say but that was a given. He had yet to meet anyone who didn’t like Helen Magnus. It was like she was sprinkled with fairy dust or something else utterly fantastical and romantic. But she did have this way about her that was calming. When Nikola got agitated everyone else just seemed to add to that feeling of ‘needing to be free’ but not her. She knew how to just bring him back into himself without it being a scary thing. ”Oh no,” Nikola assured her. ”Completely separate affairs,” he said. ”He’s a good man. I’ve met him once or twice. I think you’ll like him. He’s a bit, different,” he said with a grin. People, when they wanted to be nice, said Tesla was a bit different. Then followed it up with the actual thoughts they held for him which were rarely nice at all.

”Nothing is going to stop you from doing that Helen,” he said. ”Except maybe the governments, but you know how they get,” he added. ”If anything it’ll make your life easier. Instead of having to wait for news from other Sanctuarys you’ll be on top of the problem as it’s happening. How is that not appealing?” Nikola asked not understanding. ”Radio is fledgling, but now we’ve cracked that it’s only going to get better and that means faster, securer means of communications, longer distance and by more sophisticated means,” he said. ”Don’t know how to do it yet, but I will,” One day.

”I’m sure you’ll find something else in the world you want to see. Or to do,” he gave her a cheeky grin. ”There’s no shame in taking a spot break here and there. What’s a few weeks off every 7 years?” he suggested. It was a strange number, but that might be why it would appeal to Helen, if it appealed to Helen. She had a dedication you had to admire. Well he admired it. Most men thought it an affront to their masculinity.

”Let’s get the unpleasantness out of the way,” he said. ”Well it’ll be perfectly pleasant for you,” Nikola amended. ”Well then, let’s go,” he agreed. ”There’s this great place down by the river…”

Helen Magnus likes this.
  12. Helen Magnus

Helen Magnus Sanctuary

Race:
    Abnormal
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link

[​IMG]
    "Someone?" Helen raised her chin a little, her jaw dropped just a bit with that 'uh huh' look on her face. Nikola didn't want to tell her who it was she was suppose to distract for him but it seemed he was someone who admired her work as well. This speaker at the conference was also a fan of her work, it started to feel like event he conference was just a setup for Tesla though he then said they were completely separate. "What is Edison doing with someone studying genetics anyways?" She had to ask, he was mainly an inventor, for lack of a better word. No there was a better word, it was thief. Edison was a thief. He had more brilliant younger scientists and inventors work bellow him and took credit for all their hard work. It bothered Helen but so was the harsh world of business in America. It's why she had taken her sweet time setting up a Sanctuary there.

"And I'll take it you want me to keep him distracted with a conversation about my work." The term fanboy didn't exist just yet but when it did come around Helen would say she had a grand collection of them. She didn't mind, in fact if it could make people more aware of her work and become a source of recruitment into her Sanctuary she was more than happy with feeding into it. 'A bit different'. That seemed familiar, it's how most people introduce Nikola, even she caught herself saying the phrase about him but it was true and at least to her it wasn't necessarily a bad thing. She liked Nikola's particular shade of different. It made him so interesting.

The British government had tried once before to stop her goals, saying her work wasn't sanctioned but that they would be willing to fund it if she was willing to go after Adam Worth. There wouldn't be a day of her life where she didn't regret Adam having to die so her work could continue. She felt wrong building the foundation of the Sanctuary on a mans blood but what choice did she have? Adam had to be stopped and she couldn't let parliament just decide to shut her Sanctuary down and stop her work. His mention of radio and being able to contact someone from across the world to keep track of her Sanctuary better seemed like something she would need. "Well Nikola when you do figure it out please let me be the first to know. I'd have one installed in every Sanctuary." It would make her job so much easier.

Helen gave him a sideways glance when he mentioned she might find something else in this world she wanted to do. Biting down on her lip she looked away with a little smile on her face. "Oh, I'm sure I will. I'll have several lifetimes to get around to it all I'm sure." He was being very specific about when she was to take a break. "Oh? A few weeks? And what shall I do in those few weeks? Relax beach side in the sun? Take a tour of the local art museums? Perhaps assist an old friend in foiling his nemesis and seeing a conference?" Helen looked back to Nikola with a brow raised. So that was what he was up to, maybe, trying to give her a vacation? Somehow she didn't buy it. "Oh, a riverfront cafe? Alright, I'm keen on that, then to talk to this someone you want me to keep distracted with my work and feminine wiles." Oh, come on. She knew that was apart of it. Helen was charming, she held attention like few others could because she was charming and though few knew it she was a dangerous flirt.

Nikola Tesla likes this.
  13. Nikola Tesla

Nikola Tesla Sanctuary

Sometimes he really hated how sharp she was. It wasn’t so much that he was looking to dupe her, but things would go easier if he didn’t have to play twenty questions with her. But her intelligence was why he asked her her and chose not to rely on someone else. If something did happen to go wrong, Helen could think fast on her feet with a confidence few possessed. This meant you were less likely to realise something was wrong than say, if he got the office junior to do it. Not to say the office junior wasn’t necessarily a conniving little bastard, because he was, but he had this tendency to talk just a touch too fast that made him sound a little out breath.

Edison wasn’t usually into genetics, just the same as Tesla wasn’t but they had both went into X-Rays, which while not genetics, was more linked to medicine than it was science. Still it was a science product and you could see the connection. ”Um...it’s...well he thinks he has the cure to cancer and is intending to deploy his ‘miracle cure’ but really...he’s just going to end up accelerating cell mutation,” he said. ”I’m technically here for something else, but I know about the project and, well, he has been warned by experts that his efforts are, shall we say, ‘foolhardy’,” he put it politely for once. Edison had actually discovered an Abnormal, not that he knew what it was, he thought it was some kind of mutated mammal which had been killed and its corpse desecrated for all it was worth. Now he was sure he had the cure to end all cures. He didn’t. ”Essentially. But the public stuff. Not the hunting down mutants stuff,”

”Well you’ll be second to know,” he grinned. ”After me,” he clarified chasing his words with a cheeky grin. He of course would share it instantly with Helen the second he got it to work. Radios were one thing, and he was already working on waves that were not so easily detectable. Little did he know he’d donate his devices to the war effort and help convert it into the mobile phone system used today. ”Then I’ll be able to charm you to your delight from afar,” Oh the look on her face was going to be good.

Nikola shrugged. ”Work of some of that tension,” he kept his face straight and not at all suggestive, but it could be nothing but. Still, he gave it innocent big licks with wide eyes and an honest tone. ”I don’t know Helen but you know what they say about all work and no play,” Helen was never going to be a dull girl even if she kept working non-stop. They were both blessed in that their work was their utter passion and they did not need to stop, but shouldn’t they though? Shouldn’t they stop for a moment and smell the roses? ”It wouldn’t do, to let the world pass us by, head down and working and forget what we’re truly fighting for,” he said in a moment of unexpected insight and wisdom. Oh Nikola was a genius, but he wasn’t particularly wise. A weakness of his perhaps.

”But you have such nice wiles,” he returned. OK! So it helped she had breasts! Sue him

Helen Magnus likes this.
  14. Helen Magnus

Helen Magnus Sanctuary

Race:
    Abnormal
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link

[​IMG]
    Nikola had informed her of the situation then with Edison and his foolish 'cure' for cancer. A compound that would only cause mutated cells to replicate faster. Now it had become her problem, it had become a situation that Helen Magnus had to handle and as much as she didn't want to get involved into the politics of taking it out with Edison she had to. She couldn't back away from what might become a disaster. "You are certain of this?" She had to be sure, of course Edison hadn't stumbled upon the cure all, he wasn't that smart. Helen crossed her arms over her chest and let out a sigh. "Well then, this is within the Sanctuary's rights to interfere and as head of the Sanctuary I'm backing it." That was Helen's way of saying she was in this with Nikola, if not them then who? "You know Nikola." Helen spoke up again. "If you had told me that from the start I would have come." It was her duty after all.

She shook her head when Nikola mentioned once he had the means to communicate from long distance with Helen and his ability to try and charm her even when they were far apart. "Well, with that if you don't invent a way to turn it off I suppose I'll find out how to do that." Because why would she leave it on all the time if Nikola could easily harass her? Of course now he could argue he's make it impossible to just shut off but nothing was impossible with Helen Magnus. Of course even with the option to just switch it off and cut out Nikola Helen knew she wouldn't. He'd just write her as usual and most of all where would her adventure come from without him? She knew James wouldn't be jumping up every time Helen had another dangerous place to go to in a seedy country with possible armed men after them.

Her attention turned back to him, her brow shooting up with that questioning look in her eyes as she bit down on her lip when he mentioned she needed to work off that tension. She looked Nikola up and down a moment before catching herself and looking away, tilting her head to the side a moment and smiling a little. He did have a point however as he went on, what was the point of saving this world and working towards bettering it if she never enjoyed it from time to time. "You do have a point, perhaps every few years, lets say every ten years I could afford myself a brief vacation. Perhaps a week or two. I can't see myself going beyond two weeks. I'd get so restless." Helen had a strong work ethic but more than that she had trouble sitting still.

"Well try not to look at my wiles too long." Helen warned him before putting a finger under his chin and looking into his eyes. Was she trying to be intimidating or flirty? A little of both really, that was the fashion that Helen seemed to pull off the best. She was a little charming, a little dangerous, and all ladylike danger. "You might hurt yourself." It was a bit of a challenge as well, Helen admitting in her own little way she was a hard one to get, a hard woman to catch. If someone felt they could take on a challenge like Helen Magnus they were in for a surprise. It was one thing to catch her attention but it was another to catch her heart. So far only one man had done that and he had made her afraid to love again when he had broken not only her heart but her trust and her life.

15. Nikola Tesla

Nikola Tesla Sanctuary

Helen was instantly interested. He knew she would be once she realised what the problem was but he hadn’t wanted to go in hard like that. He hadn’t thought she would take it as true if he had presented it factually, informatively, straight from the hip. Maybe he was wrong about that, or maybe he was just a bit more nervous than even he expected. ”Of course I’m sure,” he replied a little frustrated. Since when was he unsure? Navigating the heart, that’s when he was unsure, since his own was a mystery even to himself most of the time. ”I wouldn’t have gotten you involved but it’s a bit delicate and I’d prefer expert back up,” he smiled at her, an honest one without agenda. Perhaps it was a little wry. ”After this I’m going my own way, wherever that happens to be,”

Nikola grinned impishly. See she took that well, calm down. Nikola had designs on Helen: of course he did, just look at her! But more than that, he wanted her mind, her personality, not just the lovely wrapping it happened to present itself in. He could honestly state she could be much less attractive, and he’d feel the same. If tomorrow she was horribly disfigured, Druitt would lose a lot of interest (Nikola was sure he had lost interest almost immediately but had a pathalogical need to get what he wanted so kept chipping away whenever he could), but not Nikola. She’d still be beautiful to him.

And don’t tell anyone about his sappy side!

”You say ten, Helen, but you’ll end up with seven,” he replied knowingly. Ten was just a touch too long. Maybe if she was particularly busy, or if a crisis had come up, or some kind of instability presented itself then yes, she’d wait, but seven years. He could bet on that. He was a gambling man. Ten was just a bit too long, five not long enough and so in the middle there was the number 7, maybe 7 and a half, just waiting for the scoop. ”It’s a good number. Hence why religions and pagans have obsessions over it,” though really, 3 was a great number too. Mathematically speaking.

Oh.

Even Nikola, who had learned how to control his emotions so they were wrapped up tightly (everything he did, whilst it might not look like it, was done with measure) could not control how his pupils darkened black. This was not a vampire black, this was the dilation of an aroused man. She always had had him wrapped around her little finger but right now was worse than normal. Could she be any more sexy? Oh she knew how to get a man. Some women were beginning to think stripping off was the way, or making suggestive gestures but that right there? Oooooft. His mouth was dry. His breathing would have picked up had he still been human. Nikola raised an eyebrow and asked huskily. ”What makes you think you could handle me?” he asked in response to her suggestion he might hurt himself.

Oh yes please. Do. He wouldn’t mind.

Helen Magnus likes this.
  16. Helen Magnus

Helen Magnus Sanctuary

Race:
    Abnormal
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link

[​IMG]
    Oh yes, he needed expert help on this because Helen had become a little like a secret governmental weapon now for some reason. They wrangled her up and sent her off after people they couldn't traditionally handle because Helen was charming enough to slip unnoticed into most places and she was trained well enough to handle herself in a combat situation. Granted at this point in time she was but a novice to what she would become later in her life. Nikola was being honest though in wanting to better this situation and stop Edison from doing something stupid and dangerous. "I'll do my best Nikola. Don't worry, he won't be getting far with this one." When Helen put her best into something you might as well give up at that point. There was no winning against her.

Nikola argued with her that she would only wait seven years because Seven was a better number. He did have a good point to make bout it's importance and he did like his numbers. She recalled from his particular brand of OCD he use to suffer. Walking around a building three times before he could enter it. Most people would get annoyed with him but Helen had always been patient, even walking with him to keep him having a conversation and once or twice even tried to break him of the habit though they knew little of mental illness back then. "Are you just trying to get me to have a vacation now after we handle the Edison situation? Here, with you, no James, no Sanctuary? You know some people would consider that a very subtle way of asking someone out on a date." Helen also had a good point because Nikola was pushing that seven years fairly hard.

Well then, that little look in his eyes hadn't caught her off guard in the least, in fact she was surprised he was able to keep his composure as well as he had. Of course the dilation in his eyes was a dead giveaway. Leaning in a little closer to him when he asked what made her think she could handle him she lowered her voice down adding a bit of a darker quality to it. Not menacing, alluring to a degree. Perhaps a side of Magnus few people ever saw because as warm and comforting as she was she could be just as dark and seductive. A side that came out but once a blue moon because there was still that quality to her. That drive to be prim and proper fighting against that side to be a rebel and cause a little hell in society. "Oh trust me Nikola." Helen Paused a moment, that sort of dramatic pause one did to really get a stir from someone. "Human for vampire, I can handle you."

Helen walked over and opened up the door seeming to just step outside of the more sensual conversation as if it had ever happened. That light quality going back to her as she glanced back to Nikola with a little smile and flick of her hair. "Are you coming?" She could be such a tease when she wanted to be, it's what frustrated Nikola, James too. At least when she got into an argument with either of them she knew how to shut it down quickly though it tend to be harder to do with James simply because he was easier to hurt or perhaps he just made his feelings more obvious with his constant fawning over her. Once Nikola had left his room Helen shut the door behind them and started down the stairs. "You know if you need an upgrade for a workshop Nikola I wouldn't mind donating a little money towards your efforts." And as usual Helen always had him covered.

Nikola Tesla likes this.
  17. Nikola Tesla

Nikola Tesla Sanctuary

There was no one else to ask but Helen She was cooler and slicker than any secret service agent in the world. She was a woman, and she was smarter than most men in the country combined. There had been doubt, that when in need, she was the best one to call. She just happened to be drop dead gorgeous, a snappy dresser and incredibly intelligent. So sue him for being interested in a woman like that. When the chips were down, Helen Magnus was your best bet at survival. At least for him.

No matter what she said though, he hadn’t been able to just come out and say it. She wouldn’t have believed him, in fact she struggled with the idea that he had good intentions in the first place. And that stung a little, he’d admit that to himself. It stung. But it wasn’t entirely uncalled for and that stung some more. You reap what you sow, as they say and Nikola sowed a lot of sour little oats here and there. He didn’t always care about the impact he had. He was incredibly relieved however, to hear her say she’d take on the mission of stopping the horror Edison unwittingly wanted to unleash on the world. The whole affair had made him so stressed that his suppressed OCD tendencies had flared. Helen may have noticed him circle the room three times and reset the same writing utensil that didn’t need fixing. He gave her a soft smile. ”Thank you,” Wow did he feel better.

Uh oh. What to say? That that’s what he wanted? To say yes? That he’s been in love with her since forever now and he still dreamt, when he did dream which was practically never, about the Crimson Dress and the colour of the leaves on Michaelmas? Or how she was radiant in her defiance against male testosterone idiocy, telling off a professor in front of the entire student body, entirely male, about how he was wrong and all he had wanted to do in that moment was sweep her off her feet and ask her to marry him? Say yes and scare her away. It was a tentative, yet oddly strong relationship they had. There were unspoken rules that he didn’t understand by played by all the same.

But to say no was shutting a door, slamming it really, and he couldn’t do that either. He couldn’t shut her down. He couldn’t shut himself down. He’d be talking himself out of, whatever this wasn’t. He needed her in his life but the hope of more kept him alive. It kept that spark of himself that she liked so much. His heart. His soul. His humanity. Whether Helen realised it tor not she held it in her delicate shapely hands. She could snuff him out so easily…

”Can’t a man want to spend time with his best friend, whom he hasn’t seen in a very long time, without all that other stuff to get in the way?” he asked instead. It wasn’t a yes, technically. And it wasn’t a no. It was silence, and silence spoke volumes more than words could sometimes.

Oh. Oh. Oh he loved this woman. Brave, sweet, compassionate, sexy, steamy Helen. He knew he should have a response for this but, but there was nothing. He was drawing a blank. A very aroused, amused, horny blank. He should have some sort of sexy come back he knew. Druitt would have chafed at him, calling him a failure and such for being unable to respond. And Griffin would have teased him for his puppy like demeanour. And Watson, well the man was so cold and distant, his smug analytical arrgoance would have announced itself in a cold distance that was entirely unattractive. What women saw in him he had no idea.

Say something. Anything. Go on. Not too much, don’t want to press her. Not stupid either, trying to be attractive. Go on Tesla. You Serbian idiot. Go!

”You are a wicked woman Helen,” he settled for, hastily following her out the door. She was indeed, a sexy tease. So little effort and he was hurrying after her like an excited puppy. Damn he hated her just a little. ”Thank you, but I’m not quite there yet,” Nikola said in response to her offer. Maybe soon, if things kept up. He always struggled more than he let on. Pity wasn’t something he wanted.

#17 Nikola Tesla, Jan 19, 2018 at 7:39 PM
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2018 at 12:30 PM
    Helen Magnus likes this.
  18. Helen Magnus

Helen Magnus Sanctuary

Race:
    Abnormal
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link

[​IMG]

Nikola had commented that he had just wanted to spend time with his friend, best friend at that. Helen titled her head getting that cute little expression of hers. "Awww." She said, nothing else, she was a bit touched he considered her his best friend. She would say the same for him as well, a friend she had known before the others. They one who she had always stood beside even when they called him a monster. The irony of that, Helen wished she would have known about John back then, who the real monster was. It had hurt her, it had hurt James who had been his best friend. Damn that devil for ruining all their lives. Nearly ruined Nikola's too by trying to convince them he was the one behind all the murders. "Nothing wrong with wanting to spend time with your friends, just like the good old days, just the two of us." Before The Five, before the source blood, before John. Helen liked that part the most. What would her life have become without John? For better or for worse this was the path Helen had to take and she didn't regret it.

When he had told her she was a wicked woman she just smiled and continued to walk out of the room, oh maybe she was, maybe she knew that, and maybe she liked being a bit wicked. At least with him, he wasn't 'safe' like James was. Helen could flirt with James and he was so reasonable he wouldn't respond. He's blush from time to time but only when she really shocked him which was so rare it almost startled Helen. Then again Nikola wasn't dangerous like John either. Helen wouldn't even dream of speaking with John again because he would stop at nothing to manipulate her. Nikola was the comfortable middle ground. He was fun and exciting without being a threat to her. He turned down her offer for financial help which she was alright with. If he ever needed it she was there. "Just making sure, I know you'd end up paying me back for it somehow."

Oh, that made is sound a little like prostitution which Helen wasn't suggesting so she corrected herself quickly. "You know, with aiding the Sanctuary. I'm certain there will come a point when I need your help on something there. We are trying to upgrade it to a more modern era as well." Good recovery Helen. Getting to the bottom of the stairs Helen reached the bottom of the stairs and spun around waiting for him. It was amazing how fast she could move even in heels, then again Helen had chased people down in heels because really Helen never had another option back then. Women's clothes weren't really designed for movement back then. Times were changing, now clothes were all about movement and dancing. Helen wasn't ashamed to admit she was into the new flapper look though she wasn't about to cut off all her hair like them.

"Where are we heading to have me distract this man of Edison's? I know you don't have to tell me all the details but even just a few basics. I deserve at least that much unless you want to keep it all a mystery like i'm some secret agent being sent in on a death mission." Which Helen had faced before either because they didn't know all the details or they didn't want her to have all the details. Helen still pulled off what had been asked of her, just a little more banged up than she had intended to get. Perhaps that was the point, maybe from time to time they wanted to test how much she could do, how much she could handle for when the really big disaster came. Someone had to hold it all together in the face of chaos with few answers.

Nikola Tesla likes this.
  19. Nikola Tesla

Nikola Tesla Sanctuary

Oh Phew! Nikola felt better that his little best friend thing, which was totally honest! Went down well. See, his not no, not yes, answer had gone down the way he had hoped it would. And she wasn’t calling him on it, as yet, which was also nice. There was always the possibility she’d do that later, because, Helen had trouble letting things go and surely she had picked up on that. The woman picked up on everything, he knew, but what battles she picked to fight were always interesting. Some things were a given, others were a surprise to him. ”I liked the good old days,” he admitted. Mostly because it was stimulating conversation and he didn't have to share her with overeager. ”Do you remember the librarian assigning us our own section so he didn’t have to chuck us out every night?”

Oh. Oh she was wicked. And he liked that she was wicked. He’d follow her forever. She could say into the sewer Nikola, there’s an Abnormal down there we need to stop! And he would. He’d complain, because ew, but he’d do it because she asked. ”Maybe you can show me how wicked you can be later,” Nikola replied having decided due to her response he could push a little more. ”Teach me some of those moves,”

”For you, I work for free,” he pointed out, so really she probably did owe him money. Yet he drank her wine, so he probably owed her considering his taste in vintages was extreme. Cheap wine was not his thing, he’d rather down vinegar, which was not a thing. Others could, and Nikola thought they should be shot . ”It’s not quite that bad yet,” since he had been stealing money and gambling, but it would be that bad soon. He should just accept the money, but, male pride and all. He did have some. ”Oh I’m sure I can drag you into the 20th Century,” he teased. Helen was notorious for liking old school. It was silly.

”I’d never send you on a death mission Helen!” Nikola was horrified. ”What kind of people are you working with?” he demanded to know. It was kind of worrying the way she said that. No one should send anyone on a death mission of all things. It sounded so,,,gothic...so dramatic. ”It’s just a showcase that’s happening. William Hesketh is his name,” Nikola explained. ”He’ll invite you on a tour and I’ll...do what needs to be done,” he said.

Helen Magnus likes this.
  20. Helen Magnus

Helen Magnus Sanctuary

Race:
    Abnormal
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link

[​IMG]

"I could never forget, he was so cross with us, I think we were the bane of his existence. Could you imagine him going home to his family every night complaining about us to his wife. I'm certain we were the fiends of the century to him." Helen laughed, it seemed so simple, such a small problem but to that librarian they had been the grandest problem. Helen had lost count of how often he had walked by to hush them because they got too loud in their debates and conversations. The two always too excitable for their own good. Those stuck up tight days when speaking too loud in a place of learning was considered an act of rebellion. Helen always pushed the barrier but never knocked down the walls knowing she still had a reputation to keep.She had been respected as a doctor though not always respected in the sense that was deserved. How many times had James, Nikola, and Helen herself corrected men by saying 'Dr. Magnus' when they called her Ms. Magnus.

Sometimes that struggle was still apparent, people only just assumed Helen was a nurse now rather than being incapable of being in the medical field. Women were allowed in medical schools though the great number of them were only nurses, very seldom did you find actual female doctors. Baby steps, it still wasn't perfect but Helen would keep pushing that wall until it gave way and came down. Stepping out on the street Helen smiled a little when he told her she could teach him a few new moves. "If you get fresh with me I just might have to. There is this particular one where you end up on the floor and I'm on top restraining you from any possibility of retaliation." She made it hard to determine if she was talking about kicking his ass with her impressive fighting skills or getting up to mischief but that was the whole point. Who wanted to be straight forward about their intentions?

She followed him along the street as he told her he would work for free for her. "I know you would, it just feels sometimes like I should give you something other than a failure to get a hangover." He loved his wine, a little too much. If he was human he would have been an alcoholic but since he couldn't get drunk Helen assumed it would cause him no harm. Nikola was already self destructive enough, adding alcoholism to the list would just be one more thing Helen had to 'babysit' him about. "I'm coming into the 20th century." Helen argued back with him and crossed her arms over her chest. Not as though she was throwing a fit but she was being a little guarded over it. "I'm just moving at a reasonable pace." Helen did have trouble leaving the 'glory' days behind. Nikola had no idea how much she would cling to those glory days too. Even in the 2000's she would still hold her records over any MP3 files.

She was given more information on what was going to take place, an easy enough mission but of course mentioning some of her more dangerous jobs Nikola tensed up. "It's alright Nikola, I can handle myself. Even against the likes of John." Perhaps once or twice they had sent her into the lions den tracking him down again. England would exhaust their resources hunting him to the end of the world. "Seems like a simple task on my part, I'll keep up that English charm everyone claims I have as well." Oh Helen knew she had that delightful English charm. It hadn't been so appreciated until America started to do their own thing more often. Moving away from English lifestyle and fashion. Now suddenly after the country had committed treason being English was seen as dashing. Baffling little country.

Nikola Tesla likes this.