By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box.
Only the box is a world of its own.
We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.
Want to add a quote? Submit them here!
  1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The winter season has arrived!
    Check out the Season Updates HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Answered LITERALLY A QUANTUM ENTANGLEMENT QUESTION

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by milk, Jun 24, 2018.

1. milk

milk gently curdled
    Plots & Events Division

Race:
    some sort of elf
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    PREFACE:
    this is a really convoluted and complicated question and I'm reaLLY SORRY
    I tried to be a big girl and figure it out on my own, but honestly there's enough at play that I need a grown up. I'd also like to note I'm in NO RUSH AT ALL for an answer on this. Take your time and THANK YOU FOR DEALING WITH ME ;A;

Okay so I'm gonna be apping Sara Ryder from Mass Effect Andromeda

(that isn't the question but it sets the stage)

So basically she has this cybernetic implant called/named SAM. He's basically an AI butler that tells knock-knock jokes, has wikipedia installed, enhances Sara's abilities slightly, and is just a good friend.

His full capibilities (were they in Pandora) are not OP nor world breaking. He'd probably just go "ERROR" when she's like 'where the fek are we" or something like that. With her abilities, I've always headcanon'd that it's like always being fully rested even when you're not. Technically in-game you can switch classes at the drop of a hat (like biotic to soldier to engineer) but honestly I've never used that in-game and wasn't planning on having Sara do it in Pandora. She's a biotic and will STAY a biotic (space wizard).

Anyway, none of this is a question yet.

Now it is:
    So SAM is not stored in Sara's head. His computer guts are located on a ship back in her universe, and he has a super-duper fancy transmitter that is basically able to reach across the far reaches of space. I actually found the codex entry on it:

source
    Communications: Quantum Entanglement Communicators (QEC)
    When a pair of quantum-entangled particles is separated, a change to one particle will affect the other instantaneously, wherever it lies in the universe. QECs exploit this effect to transmit binary data any distance. Two pairs of entangled particles are necessary for transmission and reception.

While QEC technology is extremely expensive and difficult to produce, it offers two enormous advantages. First, it allows instantaneous communication over any distance without reliance on the network of comm buoys, which is limited due to the sheer volume of space. Further, destruction of buoys hampers a foe’s military intelligence; comm buoys are the first targets of raiders in wartime. Second, quantum communications cannot be intercepted between source and destination, allowing no "wiretaps."

(...there's more but it's not relevant to this question)

ANYWAY so I guess my question is...would SAM be available to Sara in Pandora?

I should also probably note 2 other whole things to complicate matters (or maybe simplify idfk)
    1. Sara's tie with SAM is deeper than just a lil' chip in her head. It's stated multiple times in-game that they CANNOT be separated; and if they are it will kill her. He's literally part of her brain at this point.
    2. I'm taking her from a point when they actually are being separated; so if there was a point where it could happen THE TIME IS NOW. Yeah it should technically kill her, and totally was; but I could always bend over backwards to find ways around that. Maybe there's something about the transition to Pandora that like soothed her brain, or she literally is dropped in, in a hospital and someone throws a Phoenix Down at her ???

:|

yOU SEE WHY I NEED A GROWN UP?

Anyway so my THOUGHTS are that it could work in a few ways???

1. SAM is fully functional because the QEC tech somehow is able to slip into Pandora. Maybe he's glitchy and has problems. Maybe there's like a slight delay or he just says weird crap sometimes due to the VAST distance. Like he works* but doesn't WORK if that makes sense. Also since his body is technically routed in her world, there could always just never be answers if she asks. Like 'how's everyone doing???' ERROR 'what's going on back home?' DATA NOT FOUND. I'd purposefully make it so he'd not be tied to the world, while his guts are. Like the Pandoran Gods are like 'lol 404 error data not found' whenever she asks something that would be world breaking.

2. HE GONE. Just straight up. Empty silence. I could have fun with Sara thinking she hears him, but it's just her brain filling the void. Yanno; horrible traumatic stuff.

3. He's there, but like he's yelling through a cardboard tube on the other side of the house. Like...she can hear him. They can communicate. But it's just...barely functional. I could even have plots where she goes to techy people to build some sort of better receiver or something so she could restore SAM to a better state or something. Then it'd switch to option 1. Or maybe she really screws up and switches to option 2 and it's terrible.

4. Something I didn't think of but y'all would prefer to the ones above!!!

I should also note that I'm not like...shooting for a specific answer here. I don't mind SAM being gone or fully functional or broken as heck. I just don't wanna app a character with a thing and have y'all be like :\ HM because the last thing I wanna do is be a pain

which i'm being right now so mY BAD

<3
    sorry

ArmoredBacon and Hunter like this.
  2. ArmoredBacon

ArmoredBacon Player

From what I understand, characters can't interact at all with their original universes. So 1 and 3 are out. 2 makes me sad and I think it makes you sad too, so let's fix that :)

App SAM as an NPC and when Ryder gets pulled into Pandora, so does SAM- But somewhere else entirely. He's functional, has power, etc, but has no idea where he is and you can't lock onto his location for some reason. So, they can work together and you have the plug for your first major character arc. You'll have to gather a crack team, find a ship, and ADVENTURE! :D

Thoughts?

milk likes this.
  3. Nic

Nic Player

Small Child Wrangler
    Race:
    Coffee Addict
    Directory:
    link
    This has actually come up before! Surprisingly haha.

So, ArmouredBacon is right about the fact that neither Sara nor SAM would have any kind of connection to the original universe. So if SAM were to accompany her, EVERY part of him would need to come or he'd lose his connection. If that makes sense?

I'm on board with SAM's "body," as it were, getting pulled into Pandora as well. It could end up just about anywhere - out in some ruins, floating in the Cosmic Wilderness, in an underground cave, etc etc. In this case you could have him as an NPC but again, he would have no connection to anything or anyone outside of Pandora.

ArmoredBacon and milk like this.
  4. Nic

Nic Player

Small Child Wrangler
    Race:
    Coffee Addict
    Directory:
    link
    Let me add that if he gets pulled in with his body, obviously there will be issues bc he won't have the support/connections that allowed him to function, most likely. He wouldn't be connected to anything. But that's something that could absolutely be fixed in Pandora!

ArmoredBacon and milk like this.
  5. milk

milk gently curdled
    Plots & Events Division

Race:
    some sort of elf
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    COOL BEANS
    THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYONE THIS HELPS SO MUCH
    ;ljalskjdf sorry i'm like this.
    QUESTION SOLVED.