By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box.
Only the box is a world of its own.
We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.
Want to add a quote? Submit them here!
  1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Autumn is here!
    Check out the Season Updates HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Have a nice day, Guest!
    Dismiss Notice

Private (M) comrades crushed

Discussion in 'Dread Wastes' started by NPC, Nov 1, 2019.

1. NPC

NPC

@Lenalee Lee & @Lavi
    NOV 17 Y109

Maybe you don't remember falling asleep, but regardless you wake up in an unfamiliar room. Although, perhaps, calling it a "room" is a little too kind. A windowless box is a better suited word with seemingly no door to speak of. The walls a plain color-- made of concrete, perhaps. It's hard to tell when any damage attempted on it doesn't seem to do anything at all. In fact, the closer you seem to be to breaking through the more the room seems to react-- Little pricks at fingers, more pain, and sometimes it even seems the walls begin to close in on you the more you try (or maybe that's just you going slowly insane).

Despite your kidnapping, the room is surprisingly not completely barren. A small prison-grade cot sits to one edge of the room. A pail that's emptied, for waste if you like. A side table sits near the cot, notebook and paper standing ready for you to use. Further investigation of the notebook will give instructions and a list of pairs. The pairs seem to be other participants in the game. One page within the book is dedicated to writing down your decisions. The rest... Well, perhaps if you write a name and send a message one of the others will receive it?

Perhaps the most haunting thing in the room of all is a screen on the wall opposite of the cot. On its display is always another room-- Clearly other participants. It changes from time-to-time, but really all you can do is watch those others trapped within.

The letter reads as followed:

The saying you mortals have is "life is precious because it's fleeting". Is that not true?
    A sentiment a being such as myself cannot understand. That is why you are here: Show me the the price of a life to you. You have twelve hours. Tell me what you have to offer that you believe is the equivalent. Choose one of you to die if what you give is deemed unimportant. Oh, and just for fun you should know: You're not the only ones here. Should you win someone else will positively die anyway.
    Have fun.

OOC INFORMATION

Any questions? Please refer to the OOC plotting post or Google Doc. If you have any further questions contact @Emi either through PM or on Discord. Preferably the former as she can be a bit scattered in DMs! Remember to have all turn-ins pmed to Emi by no latter than Nov 15th. The turn-in form can be found in the google doc. Make sure to use it or you may be judged differently if all information isn't included.

Lenalee Lee and Lavi like this.
  2. Lavi

Lavi D.Gray-man

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good
    Directory:
    link

He'd been sleeping so much lately. The wounds from the encounter with that Akuma were almost completely healed over by now, but adjusting to Pandora had been an exhausting experience when you were already half dead to begin with. Waking up in strange places he barely remembered wasn't the strangest thing, having already happened a few times from spending the night at places he shouldn't be finding himself in. This wasn't the same thing, which became more and more clear as he sat up in his cot. The redhead cursed under his breath, eye glancing at the concrete before looking over to where Lenalee was still asleep.

Where the hell were they? Tentatively, Lavi moved to get up and started reading everything that was left at the table. He cursed under his breath, voice half panicked and half frustrated. This place refused to give him a single break, refused to let Lenalee be happy for more than a few minutes it seemed. This was bad, really damn bad. He moved over to the screen, glancing at all the other faces of people that had been captured and trying to see if any of them were familiar. None of them really were, but having only been in Pandora for a month would do that. He sighed, rubbing at his eye before moving over to Lenalee's cot. "Hey, Lenalady, you gotta wake up..."

Lenalee Lee likes this.
  3. Lenalee Lee

Lenalee Lee D.Gray-man

Race:
    Human - Chinese
    Alignment:
    True Neutral
    [​IMG]

Lenalee didn't remember falling asleep. It was strange how, recently, she had found herself sleeping less and less at night, and simply falling asleep everywhere else, instead. She had managed to stop herself falling asleep at work, most of the time, but when she was working into the night, or there early in the morning, there were times when it was so hard to keep her eyes open. And yet, when she went to bed, when she tried to close her eyes, images would haunt her, of losing what little she had regained, either in a twisted form of daydreams, or nightmares that refused to fade, even when she opened her eyes.

She hated it.

It almost wasn't a surprise when she head a familiar voice, telling her she needed to wake up. She made a small, sleepy noise of protest in the back of her throat, before realising that she didn't recognise the surface she was asleep on (also that Lavi had always been terrible at waking her up, preferring to let her sleep, except when it was truly a terrible situation). "I...I'm awake," she said blearily, rubbing at her eyes. Lenalee pulled herself up into a sitting position, and her eyes filled with alarm.

She didn't know this place. At all.

"Where...where are we, Lavi?"

Lavi likes this.
  4. Lavi

Lavi D.Gray-man

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good
    Directory:
    link

He hated it. Already, the redhead regretted waking her up. It wasn't something he'd ever done before unless he had to, and in a situation like this Lavi knew he had to, but it still made him feel like shit. The alarm in her expression, the question itself were all horrible, something that made him look away. An emerald eye scanned the room once more, sighing to himself. "I'm... not really sure." The letter was left at the desk, and still only further made him regret this. Lenalee was going to want it to be her, no matter what. Neither of them were going to be able to come to a decision on this.

"It's... it's a game. A sick game." The statement is admitted through grit teeth, still unable to look Lenalee in the eye. He thought back to Road, to how quickly she clued in on what would hurt him worse. Holding her dead body in his arms, feeling vividly like he was back on the boat again before she almost stabbed him. And then, eventually, she did stab him. The ghost of a blade buried in his chest is faintly there once more, Lavi closing his eye and sucking in a sharp breath. Now wasn't the time to think about that again. "We only have so much time to make a decision and I know you're going to fight with me about this but it has to be me, okay?"

Lenalee Lee likes this.
  5. Lenalee Lee

Lenalee Lee D.Gray-man

Race:
    Human - Chinese
    Alignment:
    True Neutral
    [​IMG]

The moment Lavi spoke, Lenalee was fully awake. It was almost instantaneous. A game, a sick game. The wording reminded her uncomfortably of the Ark, of the time limit, of everything that had happened, and it made her nauseous. She remembered, as if it was yesterday, everything that had happened, how helpless she had felt, barely able to walk, to move, while everyone around her fought and got hurt and died, sometimes because of her, while it was all she could do to encourage them, trapped by legs that wouldn't work and a heart that had failed her.

She was lost in thoughts of that time, so lost, that it took her a few moments to process what else Lavi had said.

Something had to be him. A decision that she would fight, whatever it was. "What has to be you, Lavi?" Lenalee asked, semi-forcefully, because she hated the quiet acceptance in his tone of...whatever he was talking about, even as he dodged her eyes. She moved out of bed, into a standing position. "Look me in the eye, and tell me what has to be you." Lenalee had the sneaking suspicion it was to do with whatever this situation was (and everything about this reminded her uncomfortably of the Ark, from the lack of windows in the room to the few bits of information she could see, breadcrumbs to make the game more fun), and she did not like the idea of Lavi making such an important decision on his own, whatever it was.

Lavi likes this.
  6. Lavi

Lavi D.Gray-man

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good
    Directory:
    link

She's forceful, and it doesn't surprise him in the slightest. Part of him is still terrified to think of looking at her and being thrown back into Road's torment, that maybe Lavi had never left the Noah's hold and they were merely trying to trick him, to play with him. A horrible game within a game and the thought alone is enough to send chills down his spine. When Lavi finally forced his eye to meet hers, he could at least release the breath he hadn't know he was holding. She's not pale, lifeless in the eyes. Not demanding to know why he was abandoning them, a wretched sound that almost managed to catch his breath once more.

"... one of us has to die." The words are forced out of his throat, where they'd gotten stuck. Lavi didn't want to tell her, wanted to ignore it all and wake up from this nightmare but it wasn't a nightmare and it wasn't something they could ignore. "We can give something up, to show how much life is worth to us... It might keep us alive, it might not."

Lenalee Lee likes this.
  7. Lenalee Lee

Lenalee Lee D.Gray-man

Race:
    Human - Chinese
    Alignment:
    True Neutral
    [​IMG]

Lenalee could see it in his eyes, when they finally met hers. There were times, especially before, when Lavi was unreadable and almost unknowable. When he'd get a far away look that she could never decipher, no matter how hard she tried. She thought it was the moments when he stopped pretending. She could read the facade he wore easily, because he wore his emotions on his sleeve. And no one really looked twice at a cracked mask, because everyone wore a mask at the Order. Insane people, playing at sanity. Psychopaths, pretending to be normal (or as close to normal as was possible), normal people, pretending to be psychopaths. Her brother, pretending not to care, even as she saw his face darken as she went on another mission.

Lavi.... Her.... They were the same.

But in that moment, she read him like a book. The hopelessness, the helplessness, the silent pleading for her to just lay down and accept whatever it was. And then he spoke, and she started to burn with a quiet anger. Not at him, not really, though she was frustrated that he had made that decision without her. At whoever had put them in this situation, at herself, for not waking up sooner. That was who she was angry at. "You're right," she said, keeping her emotions very carefully controlled. "I am going to fight you on this. You've been through enough, Lavi. Let me do this."

Lavi likes this.
  8. Lavi

Lavi D.Gray-man

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good
    Directory:
    link

You've been through enough. Hadn't they both been through enough for a hundred lifetimes? This was just another terrible situation that was going to ask them to make an impossible decision. He'd seen her die too many times, been the one to cut her down too many times. Lavi didn't want to do it again, didn't want to be alone. He wouldn't be able to easily pick up a life here, wouldn't be able to look Toby in the eye if he was the reason she didn't come back.

His voice is firm now, masking as much of the emotion behind it as possible. The frustration still peaked through, ever so slightly. The redhead never had been the best at hiding frustration. "Lenalee, you have a life here. You can't just throw that away. I'm not the only person in this room that's been through a lot, but I am the one that already had to watch you die over and over and over for hours by my own hand. I can't do that again, I can't."

If this were home, if this were anywhere else maybe Lavi could've kept his hands from shaking. Maybe he could've ignored the ache in his chest completely. The mask was already cracked before, but the biggest fear he had now was that it had finally crumbled, turned to dust by all of the times he'd taken it off and thrown it on the ground. All the times he let himself care for them, all the times he told himself it was just temporary but it never was. He'd ignored Bookman's warning, calling this his first genuine challenge as a Bookman. He'd lost.

Lenalee Lee likes this.
  9. Lenalee Lee

Lenalee Lee D.Gray-man

Race:
    Human - Chinese
    Alignment:
    True Neutral
    [​IMG]

Lavi never talked about what Road had done, on the Ark. Where she had sent his mind, what he had seen. It was alarming, how little they knew about her power. When they had gotten out, after everything, so much had happened that so much was forgotten about, and they were all good at dodging questions when they wanted to be. She wondered if he had told Bookman, but, for some reason, she got the feeling that he didn't.

Or, at least, not all of it.

"So do you, Lavi," Lenalee said, with no hesitation. She had seen him interact with others at work, woken up to him out of the house, seeing more of Pandora than she had ever seen. She had sent him messages, and she would put money on him meeting more people that she ever had in her time here. She had been so afraid of losing people that she didn't seek any out, going between work and the apartment, refusing to really look at the world around her. But Lavi never closed himself for anyone, from anything, and he had suffered for it in the past.

As he continued to talk, she said nothing, only reaching up and taking his hands, steadying them with her own. She needed that, now. The idea of Lavi being forced to see her die, being forced to be the one to kill her, evoked sadness, and grief and worry in her, but also a burning hatred, towards the Noah, towards the Earl, towards Road, and everything the Noah of Dreams had done. She stood there for a while, holding his hands, saying nothing as she tried to process what he had said.

"I don't care," she said, finally, when the silence seemed to fill the room, drowning them both. "I...can't let you die, Lavi. Not for my sake, not for...for anyone's. I finally...--" and when she spoke, it was in a quiet, broken voice "--please, just let me save you for once."

Lavi likes this.
  10. Lavi

Lavi D.Gray-man

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good
    Directory:
    link

Lavi had always been good at making acquaintances with almost anyone, it was all a part of the act originally. It was a reflex when he traveled around Pandora now to keep doing the same. It wasn't the same anymore, finally finding himself in a position where he could make friends and care about other people outside of his comrades. Not that he was supposed to befriend any of his comrades either, but that had been out of his control for a very long time. This situation was only further proving that and the exorcist could practically hear Bookman's chiding tone as a tear fell down his cheek.

Even with what Road had done, this wasn't the first time he'd seen Lenalee try to throw herself into something to protect others. It was what she did practically every day, but it's hard to forget the way his grip had so reflexively tightened on Lvellie's wrist. That anger that boiled right underneath the surface, yet he'd kept so much calmer than he'd wanted to until Lenalee had instantly cooled it with offering to go. She replaced it with fear, worry and a sick feeling in his stomach. He'd questioned himself then, too. What he was doing this for, if a Bookman would make such a mistake before so quickly trying to excuse his reasoning.

"Do you really think I could live with that? Knowing that you're gone and it's my fault? What about Toby? Or Hellboy? They wouldn't be able to look at me, Lenalee." He wouldn't be able to blame them, either. "You have more of a life here than I do, you have those connections and I'm not going to just let you throw them away." He fought to keep his tone even, to not let his voice raise as it wanted to. It was still shaky, taking a deep breath as he gripped her hands a bit tighter.

Lenalee Lee likes this.
  11. Lenalee Lee

Lenalee Lee D.Gray-man

Race:
    Human - Chinese
    Alignment:
    True Neutral
    [​IMG]

Lenalee kept her hands laced around his, even as she reached up with one of hers to wipe the tears away. She hated this. The feeling of being trapped, that fact that they had to choose who would die, the fact that either of them had to die in the first place.... Lavi was crying, and she could do nothing. Empty platitudes and meaningless gestures were all she had.

There was nothing she could do to make this better, and she hated it. She didn't know how to respond to what he said, how to make this better, she didn't know anything.

But, maybe... Lenalee stepped back, letting go of Lavi's hands, just for the moment, and invoked her Dark Boots. She took a breath. "Stand back," she said, glaring at the wall with the intense hatred of someone with no one else to blame for a terrible situation. And then she kicked it, hard enough to put dents in stone.

No change.

She kicked again, and again, frustration building rapidly, as tendrils of pain started to creep up her legs. She ignored it, gritting her teeth, and kicked it again and again, the sound echoing in the mostly empty room. No matter how she hit it, how hard, how fast, how often...nothing changed. The pain got worse, her legs harder to move, as she ignored how much this felt like the Ark and brought her leg around for another kick. Eventually, the pain got too much, and she fell to her knees, sobbing with frustration. "They'd forgive you," she said, finally. "They'd understand. I.... I can't lose you again. I've lost everyone, and I only just... I can't be alone again."

Lavi likes this.