HeaderBox1

Welcome
to Pandora

By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box. Only the box is a world of its own.

We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.

Want to add a quote? Submit them here!

1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. This beautiful little ranch along with its famous Lon Lon milk are back! Just don't harass the Cuccos. Make sure to visit while it's still here!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. A voice has begun narrating the inner thoughts of the citizens of Pandora! Read more about it here
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Pandora is searching for staff.
    Click here for more information!

Private Magic 101

Discussion in 'The Tiberian Islands' started by King Ezekiel, Apr 15, 2018.

1. King Ezekiel

King Ezekiel The Walking Dead

Zookeeper
    Race:
    Wizard(ish). Werelion(ish).
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    Date: 1st March, Year 7.
    Tag: @Merlin Ambrosius.

[​IMG]

Ezekiel strode down one of the bustling hallways, beaming broadly at the passing hordes of students, most of them young. The glossy wooden floorboards sung with their footsteps, bubbles of conversation clapping against the ornate walls.

Whenever Ezekiel visited the school, he could not help but imagine himself as a fresh faced young student, who had only recently discovered that he possessed extraordinary powers at his fingertips. He pictured himself hastening to his first lesson of the day, concerned that he was late and would have to bear his tutor’s reproachful look or word.

What a quaint and idyllic fairytale upbringing that would have made indeed! Instead, he would have to content himself with being educated as an adult by the great Merlin Ambrosius of Schola Praeditos. Perhaps in the next life he would have his fairytale childhood!

He continued on his journey, admiring the colorful wildflowers that had been placed in pots on the grand wooden window sills. Their fresh, fragrant scents filled the hallway, promising them a wonderful spring full of rebirth and rejuvenation.

The morning light flooded in joyously through the sparkling windows, brightening up the dark wood of the wall panels and floorboards. It was a glorious spring day indeed, with no hint of a cloud in the dazzling blue sky, the budding green leaves barely stirring on branches and stems.

Ezekiel was beginning to feel overdressed in his woollen jacket, star patterned shirt and dense pair of pants. He clutched his sword cane in one hand, the wood smooth against his closed fingers and palm. His other hand hung at his side redundantly, missing the ice and rigidity of Shiva’s chain. He had left her in her enclosure at the Kingdom, as she tended to grow upset when he learned or practiced magic in her company.

She still had not fully forgiven him following the last incident…

Template thanks to Steel.

Merlin Ambrosius likes this.
  2. Merlin Ambrosius

Merlin Ambrosius BBC Merlin

Headmaster at Schola Praeditos
    Race:
    Creature of Magic
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good

SOME ARE SCARED TO FLY SO HIGH
    well this is how we have to try

It was still bright and early in the morning when Merlin left his office behind, deciding to meet Ezekiel halfway rather than have the man make it all the way to that room only for him to turn around and immediately go the other way. The truth was, the weather was beautiful outside and with spring very nearly upon them, the warlock couldn’t possibly resist the chance to kill two birds with one stone. They could practice and relish in the beautiful weather at the same time, surely.

Upon spotting him at the other end of the corridor, a smile tugged at the corners of the man’s lips. “Ezekiel, my friend,” he said, reaching out to clasp his hand with his own, the other hand gripping his shoulder gently in greeting. “I hope your journey here was an easy one. I can never help but feel impressed, you coming so early in the morning and all the way from Morhall.”

Then again, if he were Ezekiel, he would have wanted to escape those dreary mountain corridors as well. But it wasn’t fair to make that assumption either.

“I thought we might take our work outside today if you don’t mind.”

King Ezekiel likes this.
  3. King Ezekiel

Zookeeper
    Race:
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link

[​IMG]

Ezekiel smiled broadly at the sight of the great Merlin, clasping the proffered hand with both of his own as though a reverend greeting his loyal flock.

“It is good to see you again,” the king told him, his tone one of affability. “My journey was easy indeed, thanks to the miracles of transportation in this realm.”

His obsidian pools dark eyes gleamed in merriment as he recalled his magical voyage to the extraordinary island. That was another thing that upset poor Shiva. Nay, she was safer and more comfortable remaining behind at the Kingdom, although she would wonder where he was this day and snarl sullenly at any strangers that ventured too near her accommodation.

“That is an outstanding idea!” Ezekiel praised the Wise Mage of the Island. “We can take in more of this splendid day and I can glimpse more of the magnificent lands that surround your academy. I imagine you must have many a beauteous garden?”

He regained his hold on his swordstick, preparing to accompany Merlin.

4. Merlin Ambrosius

Race:
    Creature of Magic
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good

"We do. Or, rather, we try to," he admitted, looking rather amused. "The students like to care for the gardens, but I daresay some of them don't have any idea what they're doing." Especially given the nature of some of the more unique plants they had. Merlin rather enjoyed the flowers that glowed bright and beautiful at night.

The journey out onto the grounds was a rather short one, Merlin taking Ezekiel out one of the side doors and across one of the quaint little wooden bridges that passed them over the river at the building's side and toward the fields. They continued past the low stone wall that lined the edge of the river several feet in, colorful flowers growing at the wall's side until they were deep in the low grass of the field.

"There's more than enough space to work with out here, far more than we've had inside," he admitted with a crooked smile as he turned to face the other man. "Why don't you show me what you've accomplished thus far? Something of a ... warm-up. Whatever you like."

King Ezekiel likes this.
  5. King Ezekiel

Zookeeper
    Race:
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link

[​IMG]

“You do not have anybody in charge of the gardens to show them?” Ezekiel asked incredulously. “Given my line of work, I possess many tomes on flora, as well as its care and conservation. I would happily loan these to your students. I wish you could meet Nabila. She tended to our gardens back in the Kingdom. She was always the first to notice any weevil infestations.”

Once Nabila had overcome her fear and shock, she would have adored these grounds. Ezekiel followed Merlin, giving the river and flowers admiring looks. If he had not been so devoted to his zoo and animals, he would have begged the Mage of the Isle to employ him, no matter the vocation! He would have derived joy out of cleaning even the toilets!

“Splendid indeed,” Ezekiel remarked once they had reached their destination.

He nodded at Merlin’s request, considering what to demonstrate to him. It did not take him long to recall the small fireball that he had conjured up during his unfortunate meeting with Bellamy. He had spent an age practicing and perfecting that spell.

“Not long ago, I was forced to deal with a group of knaves in Morhall,” he informed Merlin. “I used a spell, purely to intimidate one of them, rather than cause pain or destruction.”

He made a dramatic gesture with his hand, a delicate rose head of a fireball blooming effortlessly above his outstretched palm.

6. Merlin Ambrosius

Race:
    Creature of Magic
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good

"Unfortunately, we're a bit understaffed at the school," Merlin admitted, though he didn't seem necessarily bothered by it either. The positions that needed to be filled had been filled and the others, well-- the others had ways of being worked around. It would be fine. The gardens weren't in terrible shape either, and who was Merlin to deny the students their passion, however they may have struggled with said passion?

He waited patiently, giving Ezekiel all of the time he needed to decide on a spell. The other man's explanation brought a faint smile to the corners of his lips and he nodded his head with approval. "A wise decision. If there is a way to solve a problem without violence, then it will always be the best course of action. Even if that involves a bit of trickery," he added, and there was almost a mischievous glint there as though he had a rather lot of experience with such things.

Gods knew he had dabbled in his youth.

And then he was watching the display before him, giving a slight nod of the head. "Good. Now let it travel," he told him, lifting a hand as the blue of his eyes changed to a brilliant shade of gold before fading just a moment later. Flame appeared in his own palm, mirroring Ezekiel's, and with a mere thought, the small ball of flame drifted from his palm and floated several feet from him, drifting effortlessly through the air. And then, snapping his palm closed, the fire suddenly drifted away in the wind with a gentle crackling. "Embrace it. And then will it."

King Ezekiel likes this.
  7. King Ezekiel

Zookeeper
    Race:
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link

[​IMG]

Ezekiel smiled back at Merlin, pleased that he approved of the way he had used magic in his encounter with Bellamy of the Scoundrels. He observed the faint sparkle in the eye of the magician, which hinted at a fine story. At many fine stories in fact.

“Might you consider supping with us in Morhall one day?” the good king asked him. “I am sure you must have a whole book’s worth of tales about magic inside that great mind. I would love to hear them… Providing I am not being brash or impertinent by suggesting such a thing?”

Now, shush, Ezekiel. He must concentrate on Merlin’s demonstration. The king would have applauded him had he not been struggling to keep his own fireball alight and afloat above the palm of his hand, its glow dancing across his forearm. He glanced dubiously at the Mage of the Island, preparing to follow his instruction and drift the rose of flame across the field.

He furrowed his brow, embracing the fire with his thoughts, then willing it to travel. It trundled slowly and inelegantly through the air like a punctured wheel, losing strands of flame that dissipated in the wind, the fireball shrinking radically with each inch.

The dwindling flame made it half the distance of Merlin’s before winking out like a candlelight. Ezekiel wasn’t sure whether to feel proud or disappointed by his first attempt.

“It needs work,” he smiled apologetically.

8. Merlin Ambrosius

Race:
    Creature of Magic
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good

“I would be honored,” he told him, and there was a genuine smile there on his face as he said that. Merlin never did receive many invitations to places, and in his position, he did sometimes wonder why. The school was distant from other places and in many cases and for many reasons, Merlin himself was distant as well. “I’ve never been to Morhall before, so this will be a new experience for me. I don’t see enough of those.” Once a long time ago, perhaps, but when you were over a thousand years old, nothing really did surprise you anymore.

Some things in Pandora still did manage it.

But then the time for chitchat was over as he watched Ezekiel pour all of his focus into the spell he was performing. The flame itself was help up quite well, but it was only when he had to split his focus between keeping it alive and making it travel, it began to weaken and flicker smaller and small until the moment it blinked out entirely. The look on Merlin’s face was one of amusement.

“Then let’s work.” Merlin moved closer, rounding to Ezekiel’s side and nodding to him. “You’re close. But you’re thinking too hard. Magic is a natural occurrence, you can’t force it. You have to be gentle with it.”

King Ezekiel likes this.
  9. King Ezekiel

Zookeeper
    Race:
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link

[​IMG]

Ezekiel chuckled good-naturedly, happy to make a joke out of Merlin’s constructive criticism: “You are the first to say that I think too hard. I am sure many would say that I think too little about what they perceive are important subjects.”

His own mother had been an overbearing tyrant of a woman, condemning his interests in theater and zoology, and in their places advocating dull, soulless occupations that would make him rich… Make her rich by extension. Stop thinking with your heart! she would reprimand him. And start thinking with your head, like a clever person!

Ezekiel banished that officious clucking hen to the gloom of his memory, shifting his concentration back on to the mage’s sage counsel, as well as the outstretched palm of his own hand. He summoned forth another softly burning fireball, this time managing to float it a few feet further than its predecessor before it winked out like a candle in the wind.

“An improvement!” he grinned broadly.

He attempted a third fireball, managing to guide this one almost as far as Merlin’s much to his astonishment. Ezekiel was delighted indeed with his steady improvements!

Weary from his efforts, he paused to take a small break and continue his pleasant conversation with the Mage of the Island: “Did my ears hear you correctly? You have never been to Morhall?”

10. Merlin Ambrosius

Race:
    Creature of Magic
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good

“That’s hard to believe, seeing you now,” he admitted, his own good-natured smile reflecting Ezekiel’s. There was something incredibly charming about the other man who was such a puzzle to him. But a welcome one. There was an old air to him, like a man from Camelot, from that sort of error, but at the same time, he was a modern man. Merlin wasn’t entirely sure which one he had been first, and which he had adapted to in Pandora.

He watched, a look of pride suggesting just how impressed he was with Ezekiel’s swift improvement. He tackled each and every spell with determination and twice the effort some of his other younger students did. The third fireball managed even further and Merlin gave a slight nod of the head, stepping closer as he watched Ezekiel take it upon himself to take a short break. Perfectly given how easily magic had the potential to wear you down. “It’s a bit funny, really. I’ve been in Pandora longer than most people and I think Morhall is the one place that I’ve just never visited.”

King Ezekiel likes this.
  11. King Ezekiel

Zookeeper
    Race:
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link

[​IMG]

“How long have you lived in Pandora?” Ezekiel asked him, curious indeed to hear his reply.

Should he expect to stay that long as Merlin? Ezekiel was torn. He loved the magic and miracles of this realm, as well as the escape from the hellish plague that had blighted his homeland, yet at the same time he felt a sharp, twisting sense of guilt deep in his viscera.

Back in the original Kingdom, how were his loyal subjects faring without their good king, and Shiva, the emblem of rare beauty that still prevailed in the ugliness of their world?

He had heard theories in the past, one in particular going a little way to assuage his agonizing guilt. Some people vehemently insisted that time came to a prompt halt when they were absent from their homelands. Everything and everybody simply froze in place until the absentees were returned to act out the rest of their stories with them. Ezekiel oft found comfort in imagining the tyrant, Negan, and his band of knaves reduced to statues back in their world.

Negan had once walked the roads and wilds of Pandora…

“Have you always lived on this marvellous island?” Ezekiel asked Merlin, promptly banishing that troublesome recollection to the back of his mind.

12. Merlin Ambrosius

Race:
    Creature of Magic
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good

It was a bit daunting a thing to consider, how long he had been in Pandora for. The answer should have been as simple as considering the day he had arrived, but Merlin had arrived several times, storing away his memories in a tiny bottle and giving them to Wanda for safe-keeping, anticipating the day he might disappear once again. And Pandora continued to bring him back again and again and again. There was once a time he had wondered if there were a real purpose to it all, but eventually, he had stopped wondering and simply decided that this was where he was. It was where he lived, it was his home. Camelot seemed like such a distance memory now.

"... At least seven years," he murmured, his brow furrowing slightly. He had been here even before there had been a true calendar, when Empress Maud had ruled the considerably smaller land. He had been here before anybody at all had come to rule it. At this point in his life in Pandora, Merlin had never come across a single soul who had walked this land longer than he had. There was something frightening about that.

"I've lived all over. This island and this school only became a part of the equation ... about a year and a half ago." He had woken up one morning with a vision. Not a literal one like that he had seen of Mordred all those years ago. But it had been a vision of what could have been, a place where he could help people like him. Help them feel safe, feel comfortable in their own skin. Merlin had wished this school had been here during Ravenna's reign, in hopes that the gifted of Pandora could remember that they were not the monsters that Ravenna had been.

Ravenna had been a very particular kind of monster.

King Ezekiel likes this.
  13. King Ezekiel

Zookeeper
    Race:
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link

[​IMG]

Seven years you have walked the lands of Pandora!” Ezekiel exclaimed in genuine astonishment, his iron gray dreadlocks billowing about him. “And yet Morhall’s always eluded you like the memory of a fantastic dream! We must rectify this at the earliest opportunity!”

He chuckled amiably, clapping Merlin on the shoulder with one gloved hand. It occurred to him that he was building up the settlement very highly indeed. He hoped the Mage of the Isle did not wind up expecting too much and then being disappointed by what he glimpsed of the rocky, rugged region. Perhaps they could impress him with a play, accompanied by singing and a generous banquet of game and freshly harvested produce from the gardens.

Ezekiel realized with a slight stiffening of his spine that his thoughts had wandered far from their lesson, potentially insulting his Teacher of the Great Arts. He turned his mahogany orbs dark eyes upon Merlin, smiling apologetically and offering him a small dip of his hoary head.

“Listen to me blathering away like the wife of a tavern landlord!” he said. “Let us return to our spellcrafting before the weary sun exchanges places with a well rested moon!”

Ezekiel prepared to follow the mage’s lead, the part of him that belonged to a modern world, a world before the fall of civilization, before the rise of the hungry, festering dead, beginning to play Eye of the Tiger in his mind. During his wayward teenage years in Washington, D.C., this sly old dawg sure had got a load of pussy dancing to that song in the nightclubs, baby.