HeaderBox1

Welcome
to Pandora

By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box. Only the box is a world of its own.

We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.

Want to add a quote? Submit them here!

1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. This beautiful little ranch along with its famous Lon Lon milk are back! Just don't harass the Cuccos. Make sure to visit while it's still here!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. A voice has begun narrating the inner thoughts of the citizens of Pandora! Read more about it here
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Pandora is searching for staff.
    Click here for more information!

Open Magic should not be used like this

Discussion in 'Silverwood' started by Mordred, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Mordred

Mordred BBC Merlin

Race:
    Human
    Directory:
    link

March 12th, Year 7
    Tag: Open!

He listened to Merlin's footsteps receding behind him, his own gaze turned towards the window, almost afraid to watch him go. As if in watching him the fragile bridge he hoped to build would collapse under the strain. It was true their history was...tumultuous, and they had hardly parted on good terms, but still Mordred hoped that he could make Merlin see how much he'd changed. How much he'd grown up in the years since they'd last seen one another. If he could make him see that then maybe they could be friends, rather than being locked together in this strained cordiality.

He didn't even notice the tendrils at first, caught up in his thoughts as he was, but as they tightened around his legs and hips they were impossible to ignore. For another second he remained frozen in surprise, long enough for them to latch onto his wrists, ruining any possibility of getting at his sword, and though Mordred jerked his arms trying to free them, their hold was firm. Panic welled in his chest as the blackness crept up it and in desperation he opened his mouth to scream, to use his magic to get this stuff off of him, but the sound went out of him in a cry of surprise instead when he felt himself falling.

For a long, heart-stopping minute there was nothing but blackness, and then he felt his feet hit the ground hard, and he toppled over to find himself staring up at the sun through a cover of trees. His mind struggled with that even as he scrambled up to his feet again, heart hammering in his chest as he spun in a circle, seeing nothing but trees in any direction. No castle, no Merlin, no anyone, and he gripped the pommel of his sword reflexively as his body went cold.

Only powerful magic could have done this to him, but Mordred had never even heard of magic with power like this. Could Merlin have done it? It seemed a little extreme even for him, and he couldn't imagine that even Merlin's magic was this strong. And why bring Mordred here? He wasn't anyone important, not anymore.

No one stepped forward to welcome him or attack him, though there was an itch between his shoulder blades that told him to expect the latter. He was glad to be wearing his chainmail still, though it glinted in the sunlight that filtered down through the trees. Not much use against sorcery, of course, but it made him feel better all the same. "Hello?" He called at last, wishing he could see more than the tree trunks. It wasn't a dense forest, exactly, but the limited visibility made him feel more vulnerable. "You brought me here, now show yourself!"

Chise Hatori likes this.
  2. Chise Hatori

Chise Hatori The Ancient Magus' Bride
    Dearest Child of the Night

Council Secretary
    Race:
    Human/Sleigh Beggy
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    Going back and forth between Silverwood and Misty Hollow was a little tiring at times. It was good exercise, but sometimes Chise wished she could just teleport there without having to worry about arriving on time to do her job. She technically could do so, but she didn't want to use magic too carelessly, her body was still fragile and while she had been good about avoiding any particularly bad effects so far, it was better to not push her luck.

On her way to the town, Chise heard a voice that drew her attention. It sounded like someone was lost, not uncommon gives how Silverwood was, but they were also claiming that someone had brought then there, which made what was going on very clear. Chise had come across more than her fair share of newcomers to Pandora in the woods, for some reason the woods seemed to be a common place for new people to appear in.

Hearing that, Chise walked towards the source of the voice and from behind the trees she spotted a young adult wearing armor. His outfit in general being very reminiscent of medieval times, which by itself told her a lot about what she would be dealing with now. Coming out from among the trees, Chise approached the man, her staff at hand just in case he turned out to be aggressive.

"Um... Hello." Chise greeted him, still struggling a little with initiating a conversation and having difficulties in keeping eye contact, glancing a little downwards instead of looking at the man directly in the eyes. "I'm not the person who brought you to these woods, if you're wondering. But I do live here. Can I help you with anything?" She offered just to be polite, as she already knew she would have the usual questions thrown her way. There wasn't much room for variety when it came to questions to ask when you just arrived in Pandora, after all.

Mordred likes this.
  3. Mordred

Mordred BBC Merlin

Race:
    Human
    Directory:
    link

At first there was no answer to his call, though Mordred strained his ears, his whole body tense. If an attack were coming now would be ideal, when he was still disoriented from whatever spell they'd cast, but the only thing that greeted him were the sounds of small animals in the brush going about their business. It sounded…normal, and if not for the method of his arrival Mordred would have almost felt at home.

The sound of a snapping twig broke the illusion, and the druid wheeled around to face the direction the sound had come from, slightly damp fingers gripping the hilt of his sword so hard it hurt. The person who emerged from the trees was not what he expected - a young woman who didn't seem to have any particular aura of menace, not the boastful sorcerer he'd half expected. Looks meant nothing when it came to magic, though, and Mordred eyed her warily as she spoke.

She seemed…nice, polite, maybe even a little afraid if the way she refused to look at him head-on was any indication. He felt the impulse to relax, to reassure her that he meant her no harm, but for the moment the possibility of being attacked at any moment remained the stronger motivator. Still, he at least tried to keep his voice from sounding too demanding. "Do you know who did bring me here? What kingdom am I in?"

Chise Hatori likes this.
  4. Chise Hatori

Council Secretary
    Race:
    Human/Sleigh Beggy
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    The man was keeping a strong grip on the handle of his sword, no doubt he was on edge from being just taken to Pandora. He didn't seem to be particularly aggressive though, but Chise still chose to keep her distance just to be safe.

"Um... This will sound strange but... This isn't a kingdom, more like... a whole different world." It was always a little difficult to explain things without sounding like she was crazy, but hopefully he would believe her. "This is Pandora and, as for you brought you here, we don't know. Everyone here, including me, has been taken here from our homes by strange black vines. Nobody has managed to find a way to escape either."

It was strange, how she had gotten so used to life in Pandora that the lack of a way out didn't bother her so much. She was content with her current lifestyle and she couldn't deny being afraid that it would end someday, if a escape method was ever found.

#4 Chise Hatori, Mar 23, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  5. Mordred

Mordred BBC Merlin

Race:
    Human
    Directory:
    link

"A different…" Mordred stilled, trying to wrap his head around what the girl was saying, none of which made any sense whatsoever. How could they possibly be on another world? There was only the one! But she spoke of the vines that had brought him here and as far as he'd been able to tell no one had been near enough to see his arrival, so did that mean...could she be telling the truth? Or perhaps just the truth as she knew it - she certainly didn't seem mad but...other worlds?

He realized belatedly that he was staring at her, open gaping and failing to make any sort of reply. He gathered himself, or tried to anyway, shaking his head a little. "I'm sorry I...that just doesn't seem possible. No m-" He cut himself off sharply, lips pressing together to ward against the word magic. Wherever he was now they were unlikely to look on sorcery fondly. Hiding his gifts had served him well, better to keep hiding them. He cleared his throat, finally allowing his hand to drop away from his sword, deeming the girl no danger. If anything she was just as much in trouble as he was. "My name is Mordred. Do you know anything else about this place? Perhaps together we can find a way to escape."

She said no one had, but Mordred hadn't lived this long by just giving up when things looked grim.

Chise Hatori likes this.
  6. Chise Hatori

Council Secretary
    Race:
    Human/Sleigh Beggy
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    The disbelief that came afterward was enough to leave Chise feeling a little uncomfortable. It was the kind of look you gave someone when you thought they were spouting nonsense or were just plain crazy. Her experiences being treated as some kind of freak made her instinctively want to turn away from anyone giving her that kind of look, but she tried to fight against that impulse.

"I’m Chise," she introduced herself, some of her current discomfort leaking into her voice. "I’m afraid there’s not much that I can tell you. I know that if you go too far in one direction, you’re eventually going to hit an invisible wall, but other than that, everything here is a little… inconsistent."

Mordred, as he introduced himself, was still set in trying to find a way out of Pandora and was even suggesting that she joined him. It was odd given the circumstances, but part of Chise didn’t really want to leave, as she had found a life that she actually enjoyed in Pandora and the people in it. Yet, she understood why others would want to leave, which left her feeling conflicted in regards to finding a way out, not that she thought they would be able to do it anyway.

"My teacher has been trying to find a way out of here for a long time already. He’s a very powerful magician, but even he wasn’t able to make any progress regarding an escape. I’m afraid it just isn’t possible…" She wondered if John was still trying to find a way out, she couldn’t deny that she was a little afraid of him actually finding a way of escape, as that most likely meant that they would have to say their goodbyes, forever, even though… "sometimes the vines take people back, but it seems to happen without any rhyme or reason." She added, as if that would bring him any comfort.

7. Mordred

Mordred BBC Merlin

Race:
    Human
    Directory:
    link

Her name was strange, but Mordred accepted it without comment - it was hardly the strangest thing he'd encountered today, after all, and she was so quiet and kind and reasonable about it all that it left Mordred feeling even more lost, if that were possible. It would have been easier if she were a sorcerer with some evil plan, someone he could fight, but instead he was left with his arms dangling at his sides and hoping his uselessness and bemusement weren't showing on his face.

But then she mentioned a magician, and the druid blinked in surprise. He would have suspected her of reading his mind but he'd have felt that, the touch of magic to magic. Ruthlessly he squashed the tendril of hopefulness that had sprung to life in his chest; knowing someone who practiced magic and having that magic accepted were two very, very different things. "There's magic in this place?" His tone was perhaps too casual, forced in it's disinterest as if she could see or hear the rapid pounding of his heart.

He almost didn't even care about the rest of it, though he catalogued the mention of the vines also being the way home, if one could only figure out how to call them. But would he go home, if he could be free of Camelot's laws here? "Where I come from magic is a crime. Punishable by death."

Chise Hatori likes this.
  8. Chise Hatori

Council Secretary
    Race:
    Human/Sleigh Beggy
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    Magic that was punishable by death if practiced. Hearing that gave Chise pause as she looked at Mordred with eyes that mixed shock with horror. Why would the use of magic be punishable by death? Sure, it could be used for many, many harmful things, but so could most of the things mankind created, so why would something so natural as magic be considered a crime?

"Y-Yes, magic is practiced freely here. I’m a magician myself." Chise then glanced towards the direction of where Misty Hollow was located. "There is even a town nearby that has a magic barrier meant to protect it from being overrun by monsters." She looked back at Mordred, her initial shock worn off. "If you want, I could lead you there, that’s where I was going anyway."

Judging by the reaction Mordred had to her mentioning John’s magician status, he seemed to be a magician himself, instead of one of the prejudiced people. Otherwise, he would surely be treating her differently from how he had been so far, while right now he just looked surprised more than anything. At least for now, Chise thought she would be safe from any reckless judgement and, if what he told her was true, he would too.

9. Mordred

Mordred BBC Merlin

Race:
    Human
    Directory:
    link

She seemed surprised by Camelot's law, shocked even, and that little bit of hope struggling to find purchase grew a little stronger. No one would be that appalled if their land had similar laws, so maybe this was a better sort of place, or at least one that didn't believe people deserved to die just for having magic. Mordred smiled, a tiny thing, but it contained a sort of satisfaction, and a growing excitement as he nodded at her offer. An entire town shielded by magic? It would have seemed impossible even an hour ago, a feat that would have required an army of sorcerers, and incredible amount of magical power. Now, however, he only wondered what other 'impossible' things he was going to learn about today.

"I would like that, yes." He was practically bouncing as he followed after her, his caution temporarily forgotten and with it some of the reservation that so often marked his encounters with other people. "You said you're a magician? Is that what they call magic users in your world? What is your world? Have you been in this..." he paused for a split second, struggling to recall the name she'd given him, "Pandora, yes? How long have you been here?"

Chise Hatori likes this.
  10. Chise Hatori

Council Secretary
    Race:
    Human/Sleigh Beggy
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    Mordred looked... excited as he was following her. Given how he described the laws of his homeworld, she couldn't blame him for being eager about a place that was much less judgemental about magic than where he came from. Sometimes, being brought to Pandora was more of a blessing than a curse, it was all a matter of perspective. Even now, Chise still wasn't sure if she was truly happy with her life in Pandora or not, given the people she had to leave behind in the process.

"Well... magic is not something everyone is aware of, where I come from. I only discovered it existed around one year before I was taken here. I guess it's hard to make laws against something that most people don't know exists." She answered, now finding herself wondering about whether things would get that bad if everyone in her world learned about the existence of magic. "As for myself, I've been here for about five months now."

As she guided him further towards Misty Hollow, Chise made sure to pay attention the where she was going so that she wouldn't end up getting lost. That would be utterly embarrassing of her to do with someone new following her and trusting her sense of direction. She didn't look back towards Mordred, but her tone remained the same soft and polite tone she usually carried herself with.

"The people who use magic in my world are called a lot of different things. Magi, mages, wizards, sorcerers... I honestly don't really know what's the difference from one to the other." She hanged her head a little, sighing.

11. Mordred

Mordred BBC Merlin

Race:
    Human
    Directory:
    link

"Oh," he said, the syllable part disappointed, part confused. It hadn't occurred to Mordred that magic might be an unknown to the world at large - hiding one's own magic was one thing, but to hide its existence entirely? How did they explain strange happenings? Illnesses that sprang out of nowhere or changes in behavior that had no rational explanation...did they have no magical creatures in her world? Perhaps they'd been hunted to extinction like the dragons, long before her time. "I suppose that must make things easier, in a way. People wouldn't have to be so afraid in your world." How much easier would his life would have been if Uther and his ilk had no idea magic existed! But that was only wishful thinking, even more pointless now than it would have been before, given his new circumstances.

Five months didn't seem like such a long while, though at the same time the idea of living in a completely different world for five months was a little difficult to grasp. He was fairly certain he wasn't dreaming - though it would not have been a bad dream - and equally certain that no magic in the world could create this sort of illusion, which meant that what was happening had be real. Mostly he was trying not to think too hard about any one thing, expecting that would only end in a headache.

Though he wasn't entirely certain she seemed...disappointed that she couldn't offer more detail about the titles of her people, and Mordred lengthened his stride a little to put himself next to her, where she could see his reassuring half smile if she chose to look. He was still trying to decipher if he made her uncomfortable or if she was just shy, although the fact that she was letting him accompany her spoke more to the latter. "Perhaps there is no difference. Maybe everyone gets to choose what they're called, I think that would be nice. In Camelot you're a sorcerer, a witch or a druid, and no one really cares if there's a difference between them. Or sometimes even if you actually are one or not," he added as a somewhat bitter afterthought.

Chise Hatori likes this.