By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box.
Only the box is a world of its own.
We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.
Want to add a quote? Submit them here!
  1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The new season is here and there's a whole new world to explore!
    Check out the Season Updates HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Pandora is broken.
    Read More Here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Pandora is searching for staff.
    Click here for more information!

Open Misty Hollow's Barrier Falls

Discussion in 'RP Requests & Plotting' started by Rani, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Rani

Rani MODgician
    Plots & Events Division Technical Division

On May 1, Misty Hollow's Barrier Falls, leaving the inner town vulnerable to malevolent supernatural forces. It will remain down for the remainder of the season, so at least 1 month IC. It's status next season is currently unknown. The area around Misty Hollow has always been extremely dangerous, especially for those who have no defense against supernatural threats. The town will be deadliest when night falls, though there is the chance for things happening during the day as well. Misty Hollow won't be constant doom and gloom, but the danger level has drastically jumped with the fall of their barrier.

Goal

This thread is part coordinating with other players for some fun Misty Hollow action, and part brainstorming how this might impact Misty Hollow in the long-term.

Please note that this thread is not for planning how to get the barrier back up (if that ever does happen). If you're interested in efforts to repair and/or replace the barrier, head over to this thread!

Event Timeline

I'll be tracking all related threads here. Notable developments/events will be highlighted.

May 1: The Barrier Falls
    May 1: Wake Me Up Inside (Prompto and Noctis head out to fight monsters when the barrier falls)
    May 1: Two Heads Are Better Than One (Chise finds herself chased by monsters.)
    May 2: Shrieking at Trees (Crowley and Wanda work to set up the wards on the school and bond and are also completely irate about it.)
    May 3: Lost in the Mist (Zidane and Vivi's introduction to Pandora, they scramble to find explanations for their new world while fighting off monsters.)
    May 7: Out of Touch (Qrow arrives to help defend the school. He and Crowley have one hell of a night.)
    May 8: The Heart of a Child (Deciding to stay in the school for that day, Vivi finds a bit of a commotion between the other kids.)
    May 12: Hel & Damnation (Rotwang is haunted by the ghost of his dead ex-lover.)
    May 4 - 23: Otherworldly Building
    Mini-Event Details
    On the edges of Misty Hollow is a building that has been abandoned for a long time. No one's gone in, and no one's gone out. That is, until a girl who seemed no older than 17 walked straight into the doors. Not long after that, the building started to feel... off. Anyone approaching the building with a clean conscience would feel something deep in the pit of their stomach, practically urging them to go away.

Anyone with guilt, however, feels something completely different.

For whatever reason, those with extreme guilt in their hearts find themselves drawn to the building. Perhaps they see someone enter it and feel the need to follow, or perhaps someone they thought long-gone has contacted them asking them to enter. Why they enter doesn't matter, what matters is, upon entering the building, they have no choice but to fight whatever it is their conscience cannot let go.

May 15: Everything I've Done (The illusionist stirs up trouble between a huntsman and a demon.)
    May 23: A World of Someone's Nightmarish Delusions (Heather sends a distress message to some of her friends, who end up being drawn to a mysterious building in Misty Hollow.)
    May 23 - 25: The Incoming Darkness
    Mini-Event Details
    It's a slow moving, but unstoppable wave of darkness descending towards the town. @Steve Harrington first spotted it moving through the forest on May 23, and estimates say it will overtake Misty Hollow on May 25th. The wave so far hasn't harmed anybody in its approach, but it feels cold if one were to step into it. But they can't shake the feeling that once it covers the town, something about it will change. Do you flee or do you take these few days to prepare defenses against the unknown?

ooc; If somebody wants to do a thread where the wave is first spotted/investigated, I'll update this description and give your character credit for the discovery!

May 25: And It All Goes Dark (Bayonetta has come to Misty Hollow to team up with others against the incoming darkness, which she senses.)
    May 25: please stop you're scaring me ( Bucky is looking for home and finds himself lost instead. Crowley drags him to safety and the pair take refuge in the bar.)
    May 25, Noon: The Unbreaking Darkness
    Mini-Event Details
    At exactly noon, the wave of darkness overtakes Misty Hollow. And for many who remain in town, that is where it stops. The world seems to freeze in time, the sky darkening until its black as midnight, and the sun is replaced by a muted moon, the stars blotted out. The town becomes warped, the environment both familiar, but twisted and wrong. Those who are not spirited into this Nightmare Realm are still as statues, unable to be touched, just ghostly after-images of the world that was left behind. Time freezes for one week. The moon does not move. The sun does not rise. And monstrous creatures -- some of flesh and blood, others of just shadow -- stalk the streets. There is no rest, no way out of the city, and the survivors must struggle to live on.

One week after it starts, the darkness abruptly falls away and those people who were spirited away into this frozen nightmare version of Misty Hollow suddenly find themselves on May 25 where it is 12:01 pm, and the wave of darkness is passing beyond Misty Hollow, never to bother them again.

Quick Facts about Nightmare!Misty Hollow
    • The town is frozen in time. Maybe not literally, but symbolically. No clocks will work.
    • The town is crawling with monsters and ghosts that want to murder you or eat your soul. Either way, it's not good.
    • Phone calls, text messages, etc. will not get through to anybody. They'll get only static or garbled/unreadable messages.
    • Radios still work, and some who are trapped may find it useful to use walkie talkies to keep in touch
    • When a monster or spook is nearby, the radios of all sorts will pick up static.
    • A negative version of Misty Hollow's original barrier surrounds the town. It's dark and evil and impossible to pass through.

May 25, Day 1: Rage, Rage Against the Dying Light (Alex gets attacked by shadow monsters. Danny and his doppelganger Super fly in to help her defeat it.)
    May 25, Day 2-4: The Buddy System (A group of daring do-gooders fight to regain control of the now-dangerous power plant and attempt to restore electricity to Misty Hollow.)
    May 25, Day 2: Silhouettes (Prompto forces his way out of his struggles with the darkness to help someone in need.)
    May 10 - 30: Master of Illusions
    Mini-Event Details
    A monster lurks the streets of Misty Hollow, its power influencing others only when darkness falls. It specializes in illusions, showing people the faces of people they are close to, letting them hear familiar voices. But the illusions are always twisted and cruel, designed to tear down the victim's confidence, self-worth, to bring them nothing but misery. Sometimes the illusions are just that -- images that cannot be touched. But sometimes there is something solid within them, just waiting to draw you in close before it drinks down your soul.

So far, nobody has seen the monster's true face.

On May 30, once darkness falls, it causes chaos outside of the school that's serving as a safe haven. The defenders outside the school can suddenly only see each other as enemies and monsters, seeing something horrible and dangerous instead of friends and allies. It turns defender against defender. And it's a mad rush to finally track down the monster and end it, before the defenders all murder each other.

ooc; If anybody wants to be involved in actually tracking down the monster and killing it, let me know! Otherwise, the rest of this can be used for random threads throughout the month!

May 30: From Friend to Foe (The Master of Illusions causes several people at the school to hallucinate and see everybody else as monsters).​

Getting Involved

All of Misty Hollow's residents will be impacted on some level by this. And of course, any visitors to Misty Hollow will be impacted as well. If you're looking for people to play with for this event, this thread is a great place to start! Other towns might consider sending support to Misty Hollow as well.

You can also check out the mini-events described in the timeline above! Find people to play those out with, or submit new mini-event ideas of your own!

Submit a thread & Get a Medal!

If you want to earn this adorable guy for your account, it's easy! Just participate in a thread connected to the spooky aftermath of the barrier falling!
    [​IMG]
    Reply here with the following form, to get your thread added to the timeline and earn a medal!
    Code:
    [h=7]Medal Claim![/h]
    [b]Thread Date:[/b] The date of your thread
    [b]Thread Title & Link:[/b] Requires at least 4 posts total to earn the medal!
    [b]Thread Participants:[/b] Their account names
    [b]Brief Thread Description:[/b] Keep it super short!

#1 Rani, Apr 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  2. Rani

Rani MODgician

So! One thing I think might be cool is to have some kind of mini-event that they have pre-warning about. Like, maybe there's some abstract wave of malevolent force heading towards Misty Hollow now that the barrier is down. Not something they can necessarily defeat or stop, but something they have to endure as it passes over Misty Hollow for a single night and then continuing on its way out the other side until it fizzles out.

3. Crowley

Crowley Supernatural
    Simon Lewis stresses me out

Deal-Maker
    Race:
    Demon
    Alignment:
    Neutral Evil
    Directory:
    link
    So off hand Crowley is going to be so excited to get to explore the actual town. Like omg look at him cruising around.

In all seriousness, however, Crowley has knowledge of some pretty potent rune-based warding magic that can restrict a malevolent spirit's access to an area. He's used it on his own house/his street to pretty decent effect already. It's not an actual solution, but it may keep occupied houses relatively safe for the time being. Mind you, he's only one person so he may need to have other people help out in order to get the basic wards up quickly.

4. Wanda Maximoff

Wanda Maximoff Marvel Universe

[​IMG]
    that feeling when your street outside barrier boundaries with the man and dog eating shrubs and the woke tree named greg is now the safest in the area

As one of the folk who helped reinstate the barrier many moons ago, Wanda will definitely be concerned in a brow furrowing "that's not good I guess #deja vu" kind of way BUT AT THE SAME TIME, she's gotten p confused for why people who are so vulnerable to MH's classic malevolent entities sans the barrier would live there in the first place. SERIOUSLY, WHY. WHAT IS THE APPEAL. ARE SOME PPL JUST GLUTTONS FOR DANGER AND SPOOK like she is

This might be a good time to implement what happens when the barrier fails exercises. Stop, drop, and roll around until someone exorcises you etc. She could totally help Crowley out with the mini-wards. This is good distraction from her current stint of soul crushing depression. She's here to sigh and lend a hand and expel spooky squatters from your attic.

edit: seriously this might be a good time to reevaluate what's so Good about Misty Hollow that a character with no supernatural defenses would logically risk settling there long term LOL
    maybe they have super fertile soil and extra fresh water idk

5. Peach

Peach [BLASTING MUSICAL THEATER IN DISTANCE]

Having Feels
    Race:
    Disney Princess
    Alignment:
    True Neutral
    So I guess my boy and his kiddos Joseph Christiansen are kinda screwed. I think Johnny Blaze might help them though? Look I'll update this post when I'm not physically and mentally exhausted from working 6 days this week.

Johnny Blaze likes this.
  6. Johnny Blaze

Johnny Blaze Marvel Universe

Ghost Rider//Mechanic
    Race:
    (Super)human
    100% got this during brunch with fam and had to resist the urge to throw down my pancakes and post during fam time. I NEVER put down my pancakes for anything.

But 100% gonna tag @Joseph Christiansen and @Robert Small cause the first focus that Johnny is going to have is to evacuate the neighborhood. Maybe @Danny Fenton too cause he can help evacuate. And that's really going to be Johnny's game plan: getting people to the portal network and/or outside the city limits.

Trouble is: he'll be Ghost Rider. <.< So if anyone would like to deal with that. I'm thinking half the people will think he's one of the malevolent folks, while the other half are taking his help cause damn those evil spirits don't stand a chance.

It's like a Great White Shark defeating attacking Reef Sharks. It's gonna be wild. Anyone wanna join that wild ride???? *waves arms*

so yah! Johnny is for the Evacuation Team! Also for the accidental!attacking him cause he looks like a demon.

7. FullMoon

FullMoon That One Brazilian Guy

Being a mess
    Race:
    Trainwreck
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Heeeey so I have Byakuren here who would most definitely help with the whole issue. She's a pretty powerful magician in her own right so she can help set up the barrier once again gotta help the neighbors after all and I figure that since she spends the vast majority of her time outside the barrier and she likely has a large following behind her comprised of both humans and non-humans, she and her followers can help with any necessary evacuations too.

8. Ariel

Ariel Player

Writer
    Did somebody call a Ghost Boy Superhero? Danny and his dopple Super would be all over helping people and saving the day. They can patrol the streets and fight off nasty monsters. Since there are too of them, they can even take shifts. One during the day and one at night. Of course, Super disappears at the end of this season. Plus it might be fun to have him go out fighting some big bad.

@Johnny Blaze Danny would be so down for teaming up with Ghost Rider to help get people to safety. He doesn't exactly have the best opinion of Ghost Rider, but he's teamed up with guys he doesn't like before. Danny can also help vouch for the guy if people try to attack him, since Danny at least knows he tries to help (even if they don't agree on the how). Super can help too. He'll talk Ghost Rider's ear off about doing things in a more heroic manner, but he can help.

@Joseph Christiansen Danny and Super would also be ALL OVER protecting them. They might even accidentally reveal their secret to Joseph in the process. The Dannys can also temp move in with them until they either evacuate or things are kosher again.

Also, as a side note, if anyone wants to try and get the two Fenton boys (who are totally normal teenagers they swear) to go to safety that would be hilarious.

#8 Ariel, Apr 15, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  9. Robert Small

Robert Small Dream Daddy

Bad Dad
    Directory:
    link
    I think I speak for all the normie characters living in Misty Hollow when I say "well... fuck."

Robert might be a hobbyist cryptid hunter, but he's seriously unprepared for this shit and he knows it. Luckily it sounds like @Johnny Blaze is going to be looking out for him, and he'll definitely want to keep an eye on @Joseph Christiansen and his kids because despite things being funky between the two of them, he knows their family is pretty helpless here. This is probably the first time where he won't get all stubborn "NO I'M GONNA STAB THE DEMONS" and will actually recognize that he'd be pretty screwed, haha. Lanni and Peach, obviously we're talking more via Discord about specific ideas for the squad, so we can hash out stuff there. He can definitely use his truck to help himself, Joseph, and the kids get the hell out of dodge if need be, and I'm also down for him helping out with Johnny's efforts (translation: telling people to stop attacking the damn Ghost Rider because he's helping, I swear).

I guess for my end, I'm wondering what's going to happen to the normies/non powered people. Are we thinking full scale evacuation (I see some people volunteering for those efforts), or some sort of organized plan for defense? Like, we have super natural people protecting themselves and their own which is hunkie dorie, but perhaps the government can come up with some form of defense for citizens, whether it be for each individual home or a shelter-like location where the normies can stay and be protected? Something like that might also help OOC wise for people who feel like their characters are going to be uprooted by this to justify how they're able to stay put. I know we normies are the minority here, but it feels like something the government should be paying attention too, even if it's just high risk at night. Also, if we're thinking evacuation, are we thinking "run for the hills and you're on your own", or will there be a more organized effort, perhaps with an outside town's support? Idk, I might be overthinking it, but food for thought!

10. Aaron

Aaron The Walking Dead

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    SO! Humies looking for shelters, there totally is a very secure bunker out in the woods!!! =) A psychopath used to use it, but it's totally cleared now. I believe they actually used it the last time the barrier fell and crazy stuff happened (during the big Gabriel plot a couple years back), I remember there were several small group threads of people just trying to help people get to the bunker. So if people want to use that, there is totally an option there!!

People who were in MH then know about it! Aaron does, TWD people in general do, I know Wanda was in one of those threads so she knows about it. People totally know about it!

11. Nynaeve al'Meara

Nynaeve al'Meara The Wheel of Time

Infirmary Head
    Race:
    Human - Aes Sedai
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Resident healer heeere. -waves-

While Nynaeve keeps a close eye on the clinic, she'll also no doubt be out and about helping people personally; she's a powerful sorceress so can use her magic to defend the vulnerable (though admittedly I don't actually know how effective her brand of sorcery is against incorporeal spirits and the like). Most importantly, she'll be around to magically Heal anyone who gets injured, so if anyone wants to badly hurt their character, Nynaeve can get them fixed up with a fair amount of bitching about whoever let the barrier fall in the first place >>

12. Rani

Rani MODgician

Whoo, look at all the replies here!

I definitely want to make sure that MH isn't like auto-death for any normies. Or even auto-possession. I think this just ups the stakes if you totally want to toss your character into some craziness.

But I love the idea of Misty Hollow people maybe setting up some kind of emergency shelter for people to go and hang out in. I know some people talked about warding off individual homes, but since that's likely to take a lot of time and effort (and might negate a lot of the potential fun of the event if it happens too quickly), I think warding off like...a school building or something to start with would be a cool compromise for that. And then people can totally bunk with people and make new friends and stuff. Not something that's always necessarily, but good when the spirits and monsters and whatever are getting restless.

And I definitely agree with @Wanda Maximoff about this leading to MH getting some public emergency plans in place for just this sort of event in the future.

13. Robert Gray

Race:
    Interdimensional Entity
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Evil
    Directory:
    link
    IDK if you guys would want it but if you want someone who would probably actively try to sabotage any attempts to get the barrier back up and running, Bob here is IT trapped in human form and would be very pissed to realise the barrier is down and he has no ability to take advantage of that right now. He'd do anything he could to keep the barrier down as long as possible whilst simultaneously trying to find a way to get back to normal and take full advantage of getting influence over the entire town. He's only a measly human now too so he may not necessarily seem like the type to have an interest in keeping the barrier down either. I just thought I'd throw that out there as a possible sabouteur/hindrance if you wanted it!

@Aaron
    Just a heads up on that bunker out in the woods - IT was using the place as one of a couple of 'lairs' during the disappearing children stuff from last season so if you guys want a misadventure for a group of people hiding out in the bunker, they're welcome to find the hole it dug out down into the sewer system beneath MH and maybe even find evidence that point to that being where the kids were held and stuff!

IT is not going to be there this season because of the whole Robert Gray thing (Thanks @Wanda Maximoff Jerk) so it's all safe and not filled with eldritch abomination right now, but there's probably some weird traces left behind if anyone wanted to explore. xD​

Wanda Maximoff likes this.
  14. I'm super excited for this!!

Seeing as the missing kids plot is getting wrapped up and this following up, Hopper is going to be busy and doing a lot of paperwork. lol

If you need help coordinating a safe place, Hopper as a defender official can help with some of this. The bunker would be good too as it's saved his life in the past.

Maybe this could lead the regular humans to come together and try to conjugate in that safe area since they don't have powers? That way the non-powers humans can get to know each other a bit better and it gives the characters with powers something to protect. :)

I'm also opened if you want to throw Hopper anywhere into this. He'll be trying to keep Eleven safe during all of this as he's finally getting over that nightmare.

James McGill likes this.
  15. Crowley

Crowley Supernatural
    Simon Lewis stresses me out

Deal-Maker
    Race:
    Demon
    Alignment:
    Neutral Evil
    Directory:
    link
    Crowley would definitely be down to ward one or two specific 'safe haven' buildings. Due to the particular nature of the runes he uses, it's not really plausible for anyone else to help him with it anyway, bc all it takes is the wrong stroke for a ward to either not work at all, or possibly even work in a way one didn't intend. And he has no frigging intention of running around Misty Hollow for 196 days straight, putting up wards - he ain't that nice. But he'd be willing to put in the time to protect one or two spots in and around town, as long as someone tells him where.

James McGill likes this.
  16. Mewtwo

Mewtwo Guest

Mewtwo visited MH before and fought off a very nasty ghost (with the help of Plastic Man) so he'll be there again. He can defend the town for free when he sees what's going on.

17. Lamelian

Lamelian "Life is about learning to dance in the rain!"

Directory:
    link
    I'll offer Michonne here because she was around when the whole Gabriel thing went down, so she knows where the bunker is. So, she would be happy to work with @Aaron.

Guys how about killing the Evil Haldir? You know, the one who destroyed the barrier in the first place with a little help form Evil @Thor Odinson . Would anyone be willing to help out with that? I was thinking about @Chief Jim Hopper since he coud tell the difference between the two but this iea is still open.

Chief Jim Hopper likes this.
  18. Noctis Lucis Caelum

Noctis Lucis Caelum Final Fantasy

Misty Hollow Defender
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    Noctis hasn't been in MH very long so probably doesn't know good vs evil Haldir much at all. But he could certainly help out with any attempts if they need the extra manpower.

I also want to get him involved in general shenanigans and helping protect the town. He's been kind of pretty depressed since he hit Misty Hollow and that whole 'no way out' thing with Pandora finally got to him (along with other stuff he's dealing with), but I'm gonna use this sudden vulnerability Misty Hollow has to give him a purpose again.

I'd love a thread with @Nynaeve al'Meara where he gets some healing after getting kind of reckless with the whole defense thing. Also, I'd love a thread with anyone where he can protect them from evil entities and such.

Also, for some other scenario ideas for the town, we could trigger a town-wide blackout near the end of the season when the power plant goes down (again). Oooor maybe there is some spooky entity that starts messing with people's heads, making them see things that aren't there, or sees friends all twisted and gross. Mini-events that can be added to the timeline and all that.

19. Eleven

Eleven Stranger Things

Race:
    Human
    Eleven would be happy to step up and help anyone who needs it (perhaps without the blessing of Hopper?) She's in the weird position of needing some protection because of her age, but also feels obliged to protect others because she has the power to do it.

Chief Jim Hopper likes this.
  20. Wanda Maximoff

Wanda Maximoff Marvel Universe

I got your back, gurl. HONESTLY this is actually good useful practical exercise for Eleven's powers. Wanda, who will be very eerily calm and much too used to MH's happy annual crisis, could keep an eye on her while she runs off being a badass?

JUSTICE FOR TINKERBELL (yes they should probably avoid each other ha ha ha ha /runs off to reply to the other thread)

Eleven and Robert Gray like this.