By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box.
Only the box is a world of its own.
We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.
Want to add a quote? Submit them here!
  1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Summer is here!
    Check out the Season Updates HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Have a nice day, Guest!
    Dismiss Notice

Private of lost memories

Discussion in 'Crystal Vales' started by William of Lanchester, Jul 30, 2019.

1. William of Lanchester

William of Lanchester Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

Race:
    Human/Magician
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    August 7th Year 108
    @Chise Hatori

Pandora... Pandora, he couldn't quite wrap his mind around it. Of course it wasn't the concept itself that confounded him -- the existence of realms outside of his own wasn't anything new to him -- it was the memories of this realm that were so striking. Memories that did not feel like his own, but somehow were. What he needed was time to process it all, time to think, which was why he was out here now, on this morning.

In the wilderness beyond the outer edges of Cascade bay there was a lake. In the past few days William had found himself going there often, almost drawn to it. There was something here and it felt almost familiar, not only from this world, but if he had to say it, it was like something he recognized from his own. That could hardly be the case though, surely. There was no reason... there was no possible way. Yet, even as he paced along the lake's shore staring down at his own reflection, looking into the forest reflected on the other side the thought nagged at the back of his mind.

Another world behind the mirrors. It couldn't be. There was no possible way, not here. That would have to mean... and yet even as he thought it, he found himself hesitating. A frown pulled at the corners of his mouth as images flashed through his mind. A young boy with dark hair dressed in black -- the spitting image of his king, the man who had trained him in the art of magic. A place beyond the mirrors and reflections of this world, barren and empty. The first roads stretching out between everything. The King's Roads? Yet he had not been there for their creation. Not in his world at least.

"Damn it, John!" William found himself murmuring as he knelt beside the lake. Even a world away he found a means by which to completely frustrate him. Still, it seemed there was only one way to get to the bottom of any of this. He began to make the signs for a spell of disillusion over the lake's surface.

#1 William of Lanchester, Jul 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    Chise Hatori likes this.
  2. Chise Hatori

Chise Hatori The Ancient Magus' Bride
    Dearest Child of the Night

Apothecary Clerk
    Race:
    Human/Sleigh Beggy
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link

No one ever said I was welcome with them

If she was correct, the city of Cascade Bay wasn't too far from where she was now. Chise didn't have any intention of actually venturing into the city, she felt like there was little to no point to it and it wasn't like she wasn't being able to take care of herself in the wild. Perrin had taught her a lot about survival and Ruth was a really great help for anything that she wasn't too confident on doing herself, or just plain didn't want to.

The two of them were just doing some exploration before reuniting with Perrin, giving the man some space for himself since he had made it pretty clear that he didn't really want company and was only helping Chise out of kindness. She didn't want to bother him any more than necessary and, honestly, she had already considering leaving on her own so he could be at peace but she felt like that was a bad choice. Perrin was a kind man, while being a burden was bad, making him worry about her wasn't much better. The two had spent over a month together now so it was already too late to just leave like that.

She was passing by when she saw a man kneeling beside a lake. It was a sight that felt... strangely familiar. While she didn't get a very good look at the man himself, there was just something about him that made her want to approach him. She couldn't understand why but... it felt right to do so.

"Um... hello?" Chise greeted him as she approached, with Ruth following by her side like the loyal canine that he was. "Is something wrong?"

#2 Chise Hatori, Jul 30, 2019
    William of Lanchester likes this.
  3. William of Lanchester

Race:
    Human/Magician
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    This was insanity, pure and simple. If he was in anyway wrong about this he would find himself sopping wet, splayed along the ground, questioning his life's choices. William shook his head and let out a long breath as he finished the spell, the anticipation for what might happen one way or the other swelling within him. He reached forward to brake through the lake's surface, his fingers only mere centimeters from the cool surface of the water. That was when he heard the girl's voice.

William froze. That voice, it was so familiar and yet... more of Pandora's memories? Again, the images flashed through his mind and with them strange sensations: a sense of protectiveness, a fondness -- and then a name. "Chise?" he turned and found girl standing behind him, looking as she always had. Well... almost. The dog he did not remember.

He blinked, quickly shaking his head. "Ah, no. I am quite alright. You must forgive me," he said apologetically "things have just been rather strange for me as of late... Well, I suppose stranger would be the proper word to use considering the nature of this world." he chuckled, though it was a bit half hearted. It had been so long since he had last seen her, since he had last seen anyone in this world, or so it felt. Truly, sometimes he wondered if forgetting everything, as he had first been told was what happened, wouldn't have been preferable. At least then it wouldn't have felt as though he were going mad.

#3 William of Lanchester, Jul 31, 2019
    Chise Hatori likes this.
  4. Chise Hatori

Apothecary Clerk
    Race:
    Human/Sleigh Beggy
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link

Chise just stared at the man in confusion after the revelation that he knew her name. It was the same thing that happened with Perrin before, which meant... Chise had likely met this person before in Pandora, before she was taken away and put back in. It was... awkward, having to tell people that she doesn't actually remember them. That she doesn't have the slightest idea of who they are. It couldn't have been a good feeling to have someone just forget you like that.

"Um... I'm sorry, but I don't know who you are," she spoke sheepishly, eyes not meeting the man's. "Have we met before...?"

Ruth remained by her side, keeping his guard up just in case. While it was likely that this would just be a situation like with Perrin, it didn't hurt to be cautious, especially with someone like Chise. He had no idea who this man was either, so it wasn't like he had anything to contribute to the conversation.

5. William of Lanchester

Race:
    Human/Magician
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    William arched a brow as the girl spoke. So she had no recollection of him? Was it possible that she had been taken from this world only to be brought back as he had? Of course, if that were the case why was it he retained his memories, or at least some of them, where she did not? The magician frowned at the thought, though, truth be told, it was more welcome news than one might have expected it to be for him. Perhaps he should have felt guilty at that thought, could it really have been more of a comfort to not have known anything of this place at all?

Shaking his head he offered her a kind smile "Think nothing of it," he tried to reassure her "to own the truth, my own memory of this place is spotty at best." the memories tended to come in fragments; a feeling of familiarity here, a brief image there. Putting together the whole story, while not impossible, was still rather difficult.

"I am William of Lanchester," he offered, giving a slight bow of his head. Given the circumstances, what with her lost memory and his slowly returning one, perhaps it was simply better to start from the very beginning. "And there was once a time when I was quite familiar with this land. Of course, things seemed to have changed a great deal since then." he spread his arms wide, gesturing to the world around them. From what he did remember, Pandora had been a quite a bit smaller from what it was now. "And you, if I recall," he continued "are Chise Hatori. We knew one another once, I believe you were a friend, though much more than that I cannot say."

#5 William of Lanchester, Jul 31, 2019
    Chise Hatori likes this.
  6. Chise Hatori

Apothecary Clerk
    Race:
    Human/Sleigh Beggy
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link

William of Lanchester... the name was ringing bells in Chise's brain. It was like the memories of him were there, but locked way in the depths of her mind. Yet, she could feel like they were desperately trying to break out, as her head suddenly began hurting. Nothing too severe to the point of it being unbearable, but it was enough to make her wince and put a hand on her head.

"You... You do feel familiar, a lot, actually..." She looked up at him, staring for a few seconds, only tilting her head slightly as her gaze was fixated on him, trying to process just who this person was. "I do think we were... something like friends. But something about that feels... off."

Looking at him like that only seemed to make her headache worse, so her gaze fell to the floor instead. Why was it that she couldn't remember anything? Perrin had been in Pandora for many years but this man made it sound like he was new to it. He must have been someone who had lived in the world before, was taken away, and now was brought back, just like her. The only difference is that the memories of Pandora seemed to come to him much more easily than for her.

... Did something happen to make her repress those memories?

"I... Um..." she trailed off, unsure of what to say in this awkward situation. "It's nice to meet you... again?"

7. William of Lanchester

Race:
    Human/Magician
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    As soon as he said his name a look, very much akin to recognition -- even if only slight, crossed her features. Yet, with in the next moment that recognition was quickly replaced as she winced and put a hand to her head. William frowned and almost as if of it's own accord his hand reached out for her, only for him to pull it back a moment later realizing what he was doing. Even if his mind didn't fully remember he still felt some need to help her.

He wasn't quite sure how to respond to her as she dropped her gaze to look at the ground, almost as if merely looking at him caused her pain. "Are you alright?" the concern in his voice couldn't have been clearer. What else could he have asked? He was worried about her, like how one might worry for a daughter and he did not understand it at all; surely that could not have been the case.

Still, she continued speaking, clearly finding this entire situation awkward. He could not blame her, yet he would not allow it to show in his own words and actions, wanting her to feel more comfortable. He smiled at her, giving a sort of half bow "It is good to meet you again as well." he paused, hesitating for a moment "If you are feeling unwell I could offer to help you in some way."

Chise Hatori likes this.
  8. Chise Hatori

Apothecary Clerk
    Race:
    Human/Sleigh Beggy
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link

Worry. Chise knew that look she was getting well. It was usually the look she got from other people when they saw her since she was such a hopeless girl. The look she got when they pitied her, only for something to inevitably happen and make her the target of scorn again. That was how she was used to things going, but it had been different in Pandora so far and, even though William was a "stranger" to her, she felt... safe, being near him.

She shook her head. It was still hurting a little, but she was starting to get used to the feeling."I'm fine. It's just... I feel like the memories are here, but I just can't bring them out..." Chise let out a frustrated sigh. Why couldn't she remember...?

Still, she spent all this time in Pandora and nothing ever came back to her, so it wasn't like it was going to all come back to her now. She just had to deal with it and, hopefully, the people who remembered her wouldn't be offended by her not knowing who they are.

"Don't worry about me, really. It's just a small headache." She offered William a very thin smile, trying to reassure him even though she wasn't feeling all that great, though emotionally, rather than physically.

9. William of Lanchester

Race:
    Human/Magician
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    William's frown only deepened when she insisted that she was fine. To not worry about her. Perhaps that was the case, perhaps not. He didn't know. What he did know is that he did not like watching her suffer, even if from just a slight headache. If she did not wish for his help, however, he wasn't going to force it on her. Still, he sighed "You can tell someone to not worry all you like, but it will not stop them from doing so. Especially when it appears that something is wrong." and beyond her lost memories and a headache something did seem to be wrong.

"Do not try to force it," If she did still have her memories locked away somewhere in her mind and trying to force them to the surface was causing her pain, then perhaps it would simply be better for her to leave it be for now. "Your memories will resurface when they are meant to, surely." He tried reassuring her, but even he couldn't be so sure of that. To be honest, he wasn't particularly sure how he felt about that either. After all, he himself barely remembered anything, yet at the same time there was this nagging connection to the girl that he could not explain and if she couldn't then who could?

William sighed, eyeing the girl for a long moment when a thought occurred to him. "How did you end up out here?" Without her memories it hardly seemed very safe for her to be wandering about the forest.

Chise Hatori likes this.
  10. Chise Hatori

Apothecary Clerk
    Race:
    Human/Sleigh Beggy
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link

Chise raised an eyebrow. That was... strange, but Chise assumed William just meant that she wasn't doing a very good job at reassuring him that she was fine. Still, it really wasn't a big deal, just a headache. Those came and went all the time, so there really wasn't any reason to worry about it. She appreciated the concern, especially since it came from a "stranger", but she really didn't want to trouble him with small things like this.

"Me?" Chise asked rhetorically, surprised with the sudden question. "I've been wandering through this region for about a month. There's a man who I've been travelling with, but today I set off to explore with Ruth." She glanced at the Black Dog, then remembering that she hadn't actually introduced him yet. "Oh, this is Ruth, he's my familiar."

She paused for a moment, realizing what she had just said. She usually would've tried to keep Ruth's identity a secret, but for some reason, it felt right to be upfront about it with William. It must've been something tied to her old memories, she did feel... safe around William, safe enough to tell him about this.