By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box.
Only the box is a world of its own.
We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.
Want to add a quote? Submit them here!
  1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Summer is here!
    Check out the Season Updates HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Have a nice day, Guest!
    Dismiss Notice

Private Overdose at the School

Discussion in 'Pandopolis City' started by Max Reed, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Max Reed

Max Reed The Guyver

Race:
    Zoanoid
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    Date: 25th July.
    Tag: @Cindy Moon.

[​IMG]

Reed sat in the school reception area, waiting to speak to the last person on his list. The principal. He'd spent all morning interviewing teachers and students connected to the tragedy.

Casey Andrews. Sixteen years old. Straight A student. She'd suffered a cardiac arrest in her physics class a couple of days ago. The autopsy had revealed that she'd overdosed on Red Death.

Reed had one leg crossed over the other to form a perch, his handwritten notes spread across his lap. He was reading through them as he waited to interview the principal, the rustle of the paper noisy in the empty reception area. A phone shrilled occasionally in the background.

He chewed as he read, mint on his breath. Reed had lost count of how much gum he'd chewed today, but he was going to need to buy more soon.

The door opened with a creak, bringing in a gust of warm summer air and the fragrant smell of potted plants. It gusted across the thick set of notes on his lap, scattering them across the royal blue carpet and under table and chair legs.

“Aww. Crap,” he muttered quietly. He squatted on the floor and began to gather the papers up into a big messy heap. He’d only just had a lecture on good Data Protection practices yesterday.

Cindy Moon likes this.
  2. Cindy Moon

Cindy Moon Marvel Universe

Reporter
    Race:
    Korean-American
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

Outwardly, Cindy seemed no different from normal. She still smiled and spoke as she usually did. Anyone who didn't know her very well would just think she saw this as a chance to get a good scoop, or whatever reporters said these days.

Cindy was not feeling perfectly pleasant on the inside.

Kids getting their hands on drugs that had disastrous consequences. She knew about this way too well. After what happened to Albert, she was pretty damn sensitive about kids getting sucked into dangerous stuff like that.

So, when she heard about the chance to do some investigative journalism about a kid overdosing on some new drug, she didn't hesitate to volunteer. Either she'd be able to help the investigation as Cindy Moon, or Silk; she was getting involved, no matter what.

With nothing more than a notebook and some ID from the Pandopolis Times, she headed into the school. It took a little sweet-talking over the phone, but eventually, she was allowed to meet with some of the people involved to get a better picture of what was going on.

Her first stop was going to be the principal, though one of the receptionists tried to tell her that someone else was meeting with him about this, which only made Cindy more determined to get there asap.

As she opened the door, she was greeted by the sight of a man trying to catch all of his papers that went flying thanks to her. She didn't have the emotional energy to stop herself from chuckling at the sight.

She wasn't a monster, of course. After closing the door, she stepped closer, helping pick up the papers he hadn't gotten to yet. "Times like these, a file folder would come in handy," she joked, "it'd at least make it harder for your stuff to try and escape."

Max Reed likes this.
  3. Max Reed

Max Reed The Guyver

Race:
    Zoanoid
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

Was someone laughing at him? Gee! That was real mature of them!

Reed’s face tightened in irritation. He didn’t look up at the person, busying himself with collecting up the spilt papers instead. To add insult to injury, he hadn’t even thought to number them. It’d take him freaking ages to put them back in the right order again.

The person gave him a hand, which helped ease his annoyance with them. His annoyance with the whole darn situation. The voice that emerged from the person, the woman, sounded familiar to him. Had she been one of the teachers or students that he’d interviewed today?

“My colleagues are always pestering me about joining the twenty-first century,” he remarked lightly. ““Why don’t you get a laptop?” they say. “How about a tablet?” I could get something like that free at work, but I’m such a klutz… I’d probably drop it in the street.”

He gathered up the last of his dog-eared papers and rose to his feet, a sharp ache in his lower back. It was only then he looked at the giggly girl who’d come to help him. He realized who it was and dropped his papers in his shock, which exploded across the royal blue carpet.

Silk!”

Cindy Moon likes this.
  4. Cindy Moon

Reporter
    Race:
    Korean-American
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

"Oh yeah, I know what that's like," Cindy said with a nod, "my old boss used to call me Analogue because I preferred using stuff like notebooks instead of tablets. But, at least a notebook meant my papers wouldn't go flying like this."

She knew it was a bit mean to keep teasing like this, but, well, it was either that or keep thinking about the kids overdosing because of drugs, so tease it was. Besides, he hadn't made any indication she was going too far.

The next thing she knew, the man was calling out her hero name, causing her to panic for a brief second. She had no idea who this guy was, or how he found out, but she was not ready for her identity to become public knowledge. She wanted some distance between the two, if only for her sanity.

Besides, she hadn't told many people, so that meant he had to have overheard somehow, so possibly a stalker? She wasn't sure, but she didn't like it.

Forcing a laugh, she tugged at her uniform, and joked, "no, just cotton, but it is really nice, so I can see the confusion." Then she... oh God, did she really just do finger guns?! She had to keep the fake smile plastered on as she internally cringed herself to death.

Max Reed likes this.
  5. Max Reed

Max Reed The Guyver

Race:
    Zoanoid
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

Reed fell silent, confused by the correction. Cotton? The finger gun gesture made him blink.

“No. I didn’t mean the shirt. I-” It dawned on him that she wasn’t dressed like a superhero. What had he learnt from watching superhero movies as a kid? A superhero liked to keep their alter ego separate from their normal identity... And they always kicked the bad guy’s butt. K-pow.

He made himself look down at her uniform, nodding stiffly in approval. His voice was a little flat and stilted as he played along with Silk, sensing the narrowed eyes of the receptionist on them. “You’re so right. In this light, it looked exactly like silk. Just… Wow. Are your panties cotton, too? Pants. I said pants. Definitely pants and not that other thing…”

If he’d been able to read minds, he would’ve said that it was his turn to internally cringe himself to death. He kind of shrank to the ground, averting his burning red face as he gathered up the papers again. Jeez. Reed couldn’t imagine that he’d made a good first impression on her as a massive bug. He was probably making an even worse one as a massive idiot of a man!

“It’s good to see you again, Cindy,” he said, trying to get past the awkward moment.

Cindy Moon likes this.
  6. Cindy Moon

Reporter
    Race:
    Korean-American
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

While Cindy was still confused as to how the stranger knew her secret identity, at least he was willing to play along and not try to out her again. She relaxed slightly when he went with the silly cover-up about her uniform, and then flinched, face turning bright red when he started talking about clothes she didn't think were visible.

She made a soft, strangled noise, even as he tried to recover, turning away to hide her own blushing cheeks. Well, she wanted a distraction from what had brought her to the school, right? This level of awkward was at least easier to think about.

"I-I. I!" she stuttered desperately, making eye contact with the receptionist, who just stared back with the kind of unimpressed stare only a school receptionist could master. The next thing she knew, he had recovered and called her by her real name.

Still slightly mortified, but at least trying to work through it, Cindy replied, "yeah, um. Great! No, uh, no offence or anything, I just meet a lot of people. Could you remind me what your name is?" At least if she knew who this guy was, she wouldn't have to be so worried about her safety. Or she'd have to be really worried, depending on who it was.

Max Reed likes this.
  7. Max Reed

Max Reed The Guyver

Race:
    Zoanoid
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

Silk- Cindy. Cindy didn’t recognize him, which surprised him enough to take his mind off his burning embarrassment. He thought she might’ve recognized him by his voice at least, but then again, it’d been distorted back then by buzzing feedback. Jeez. Was he glad that he sounded normal now! Though she might debate that after his little panties slip.

Reed didn’t answer her immediately, busying himself with collecting more papers up off the ground. He didn’t want her to recognize his name and remember him as the freaky bug guy. He’d already created a bad impression, and would have no hope of correcting it if she knew about his “medical condition”. And he darn well couldn’t give a fake name to Cindy. He was a cop!

He rose to his feet, clutching the papers to his chest so he didn’t go and freaking drop them again. Maybe he could dismiss himself hastily? Claim he’d left an important document back in his car and then hurry out of the school? Except he’d come by bus (finances were too tight at the moment to afford a vehicle of his own) and he really needed to speak to the principal about the deceased student.

“It’s Max,” he offered grudgingly. “Max Reed. CI- Well. DoI these days.”

He held his breath, hoping to see confusion on her face rather than disgust.

Cindy Moon likes this.
  8. Cindy Moon

Reporter
    Race:
    Korean-American
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

There was a rather awkward pause as Cindy waited for the man to give her his name. It almost felt like he was trying to avoid answering, which didn't bode well. As the seconds ticked by, she wondered if he was about to give some name she really wouldn't want to hear, until he finally broke down and admitted who he was.

She squinted her eyes as if trying to find the resemblance between Max and the bug-Max she'd met. Soon, though, it hit her why he'd know both her real name and hero name, and it explained why he was so awkward. She had no idea how long he'd been a giant bug, but that tended to make talking to people a bit harder.

"Oh," she said with a pleased laugh, "I didn't recognize you with the mustache. It's good to see you again." Weird, she felt a twinge of disappointment. Maybe she just hadn't been ready for her cool bug friend to be a normal human. He was probably happier in this body, though, so she pushed that down, fast.

Max Reed likes this.
  9. Max Reed

Max Reed The Guyver

Race:
    Zoanoid
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

Reed got a nice positive reaction from Cindy, which coaxed a warm boyish smile out of him. He hadn’t smiled like that in too long. It felt freaking good, though he had to resist the impulse to brush his mustache with his fingertips in case he’d picked up crumbs.

“It’s good to, um, see you again too,” he said, face hot, wondering when the heck he’d become this awkward around women. His lack of a social life had seriously eroded his interpersonal skills. “So what’re you doing at the school? You sure aren’t a student. You’re too old.”

He jerked rigid, his face paling in horror at the clumsy stumble he’d made with his mouth. On top of creeping her out with the panties comment, he’d gone and insulted her age like a total tool. What was wrong with him today!?

“Not that you look old old! I just meant that you’re obviously older than twenty!” Reed spluttered wildly. “I mean you look way younger than me and I’m forty! And I don’t consider forty old old anyway! Kind of middle-aged really! Not that I’m saying you’re mid-”

Will you quit it already, Reed? You’re digging yourself into a freaking hole to China.

“Do you teach?” he blurted out far too loudly.

Cindy Moon likes this.
  10. Cindy Moon

Reporter
    Race:
    Korean-American
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

It took all of Cindy's self control to keep from cooing at Max's awkwardness. She hadn't been around anyone more awkward than her in a long time, it was a nice break. It even softened the blow of being called old.

She watched him sputter, trying desperately to dig himself out of the hole and not really succeeding. When he finally just asked if she taught there, she was merciful enough to not start laughing, though the grin on her face probably said a lot.

"No, I'm not," she answered, "I'm a reporter, actually. I came here because I..." Her mood took a pretty quick downturn, even as she tried to smile through it, "after what happened to that poor girl, well, that's newsworthy, right?"

Max Reed likes this.
  11. Max Reed

Max Reed The Guyver

Race:
    Zoanoid
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

Her smile made his face burn up and he dropped his gaze to the ground, grateful that she at least wasn’t laughing at him. That would’ve had him melting into the floor from embarrassment.

He looked up sharply when she mentioned her occupation. Reporters and law agencies like his didn’t usually mix, because they tended to have opposite goals. His agencies were often concerned with keeping information about cases secret, while reporters wanted to freaking go and blab everything to the general public to earn more moolah. Reed was surprised at Cindy. He would’ve expected a selfless heroine like her to have a less greedy vulturine job.

On the other hand, they’d been times where reporters had come in handy, printing false details at the CIA’s request to trick criminals, which had led to several successful arrests. That began to plant seeds in his head… Maybe he could work together harmoniously with Silk again.

“So… Uh… I’m part of the DoI now,” he said, trying to recover from their awkward, rocky start. “You here to see the principal? I should warn you I’ve been waiting an hour to talk to him.”

Reed gestured distractedly at a hallway. He figured it led to the principal’s office ‘cos it was the only one that veered off the reception area. You’d think the guy would’ve cut short his meeting as a sign of courtesy, especially if he’d arranged to speak to this reporter afterwards, unless…

“Y’know, I’m beginning to think he doesn’t wanna talk…”

Cindy Moon likes this.
  12. Cindy Moon

Reporter
    Race:
    Korean-American
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

Man, Max really was embarrassed. Cindy felt a little bad at smiling so much, if he couldn't even see her smile without getting even more uncomfortable. She tried her best to pull her expression to be more neutral, so he wouldn't think she was laughing at him or anything.

Eventually, the two moved onto more serious stuff, and Max revealed he was with the DOI. That certainly made things easier for her. Once she was done with the people working there, she was going to grill him for any chance to get to those drug dealers. He'd probably have some more important information she could use.

"Huh, weird that the guy would be willing to make a government official wait," she said, thoughtfully, "you'd think he'd at least want to help do whatever he could to get the drugs out of his school." It was something to consider, even if it wasn't exactly a red flag quite yet.

With a hum, she glanced back at the receptionist nearby, who was clearly listening in while trying not to look like it. Without even raising her voice, she said, "well, I guess the story about how the principal made an investigation like this harder would make a good enough story."

Immediately, the receptionist turned and picked up her phone, again, trying very hard to look non-suspicious. Her conversation was just quiet enough that Cindy couldn't hear it, which made her hopeful that the principal was coming out soon enough.