HeaderBox1

Welcome
to Pandora

By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box. Only the box is a world of its own.

We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.

Spotlight

Story Hub Banner

Want to add a quote? Submit them here!

1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Elevated high above Pandora Town is the futuristic, whimsical Orbit City. Make sure to visit while it's still here!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Exact doppelgangers of Pandora citizens are appearing out of nowhere, seemingly at random. Read more about it here
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Pandora is searching for staff.
    Click here for more information!

Community Pandora World Shakeup and Brainstorming

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Rani, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Rani

Rani MODgician
    Plots & Events Division Technical Division

Hi everyone! So, we’ve been getting some great results from the World of Pandora survey that was put up last week. There’s a lot of good feedback, and it’s been helping us figure out what we want to do with this world shakeup the coordinators have been bouncing back and forth lately. If this happens, it would be a huge change to Pandora’s world, and so just like we did when we added the four smaller towns, we’d love to get ideas directly from the community and just get some general brainstorming going.

Everything discussed in this thread is not 100% set in stone. There is still every possibility the project could be scrapped, but at the moment, we are looking at implementing this revamp with the Fall season change (so, September).

Our goal with this revamp is to bring back the focus on unique themes and a patchwork world that originally existed on Pandora. This is something that we feel, over time, has become largely muted. Details were lost with revamped lore documents, developments spread without keeping those original themes in mind, and what themes there still are we feel aren’t very well presented to the community. Plus, from the Pandora World Survey, we see that a good portion of the community feels the setting is lacking in locales focused around low tech, fantasy, or pure sci-fi. We’ve attempted to create areas to focus on these themes in the past, but over time they’ve blended together a bit (with a few exceptions) into an overall modern culture/feel that sometimes has a funny power source tucked away out of sight.

The Current Plan

Again, this is not 100% set in stone and is a very long ways off if we do go through with it.
    We are going to reshape Pandora’s landscape, make the land larger, populate it with more npcs, and create themed areas.

Pandora Town will still be the central community in Pandora. It will be moved to the exact center of the box, and we’ll be working on emphasizing its patchwork nature -- i.e. that this isn’t a modern day town, but is an amalgamation of all sorts of genres and settings all jumbled into one city. It’s a city with no real thought put into its design. You might have a super sci-fi building next to a spooky haunted dungeon next to a fast food place with a giant chicken head.

The land around Pandora Town will be split into four regions. These are (names pending):
    • Fantasy/Medieval Land
    • Sci-Fi Land
    • Modern World
    • Apocalypse World

What’s the deal with these themed regions?

Outside of Pandora Town, each region will have been carefully crafted by Pandora herself to adhere to a particular genre. So, fantasy/medieval land would be focused more on magic and low tech (if any), while sci-fi land would feature the Cosmic Wilderness and the illusion of intergalactic travel and such. The regions would also make room to cover a variety of sub-genres. So, sci-fi land could have places of interest for hard sci-fi and for more science fantasy stuff (but still with the emphasis on sci-fi).

Characters will still be able to retain their own powers or equipment regardless of the region they’re in, but if an overall region starts growing beyond their parameters (i.e. somebody starts producing automobiles in fantasy/medieval land), then Pandora will freak out and some crazy phenomenon will happen, and that advancement will be ultimately undone. This won’t be something we’ll actively track in character. Instead, think of it as large-scale event/plot device and also some built-in consequences if a character tries to develop a region into something that doesn’t fit its basic theme.

What about the locations/jobs already in Pandora?

Due to the nature of this change, not everything will be kept as is. The Pandora Town council will likely stay as it is, but depending on how the other towns change or their regions are shaped, they might get a rulership/government overhaul. Most non-governmental jobs will remain untouched -- they might just have to be adapted to a new locale.

Location submissions will be largely preserved. However, the exact locations of those unique areas might end up somewhere very different. Of course, if someone wants to move a location they submitted after things have been shuffled, we’ll allow that.

As for the towns themselves, Pandora Town will definitely be preserved, but it will become much larger. Cascade Bay, Misty Hollow, Horizon, and Morhall, their fates are uncertain. We’ve toyed with keeping some of them as the central location for these new regions, perhaps making some of them even larger. We’ve also considered reducing some to ruins or removing them entirely to replace with something new. Either way, one of those towns will end up on the chopping block to make room for the new sci-fi themed central community in the Cosmic Wilderness.

Is Pandora going to be too big?

So, one result we got from the survey was that the community was pretty split on Pandora feeling just right or too small in size. While we’re currently planning to make the box bigger, we’re ultimately shifting our focus from 5 main towns to 5 main towns/cities, and four of those towns/cities will have a more developed and genre-focused region surrounding it. We don’t plan on making forums to cover a ton of new areas or towns, but will instead feature them in location writeups to be used as backdrops for your roleplay.

As for size, some areas will feel smaller or larger than others, depending on the travel technology available. The more modern the tech, the easier travel becomes. However, Pandora Town will serve as the central hub and have a fast travel option for traveling to the central city of each new region.

Some of our current ideas

These are some of the current ideas staff have been bouncing around.
    • A patchwork world that does not fit together. The geography does not have to make sense. Pandora is essentially ripping chunks of landscape from different realms, and splicing them together. So we can totally have lava fields right next to a snowscape, because Pandora.
    • Pandora Town will be upgraded to a legit city. It’s very teeny right now, and has always been purposely teeny. But we’re ready to bring Pandora up to the level of city or maybe even metropolis.
    • Pandora Town will be the literal crossroad and the only legit way to move from region to region. But there will be room for plots to find some backroads and such.
    • Apocalypse World will double as a place of exile. If the other regions need something to do with their criminals, they can dump them all into Apocalypse World and leave them to fend for themselves. Then the criminal characters who eventually get caught and face this exile will have a huge region, with its own communities and characters and such to still interact with. Just without the safety net of a comfy society.

And these are our Region-specific Ideas.

• Fantasy/Medieval-Land. This area will have areas with different levels of natural magic. Some might get really trippy with super dense levels of natural magic, creating all kinds of weird phenomenon and fantastical landscapes. Other areas can have a really low density of natural magic or none at all, and we can use that to create more low magic/low tech, maybe even historically-themed communities (historical was another that kept popping up in our survey as a missing theme)..

• Sci-Fi Land. This will be the Cosmic Wilderness, but it will have more in it. It can only be accessed from Pandora Town, so the portals in the ceiling won’t be a thing anymore (except over Pandora Town). We’ll have some floating chunks of land in the Cosmic Wilderness as well to create alien landscapes and such, plus the space station/colony that Nic is currently planning.

• Apocalypse World. This is focused on a generally lawless and rugged area. Life is tough, you need real grit to survive out here (or a really good protector). Could be mutants, zombies, toxic landscapes, all sorts of options. As mentioned above, it will serve as a place of exile. But we’ll also create some adventuring hooks to get your good guys here too. Or, y’know, if they just prefer that sort of lifestyle they don’t need any other reason.

• Modern World. This will be an amalgamation of all kinds of modern settings. There will be room for towns with zero magic or weirdness and totally normal stuff. And there will be room for spooky, haunted towns like Misty Hollow and supernatural hotspots and such. Or even crazy conspiracy theories and weird tech and magic and what not. But all with that modern day setting. And yes, we’ll have room for big cities and such too.

How you guys can help!

So, this is very early in the brainstorming process. We know the four regions we want to use, and we have some ideas for some features in this new world. But we want to know what you guys want to see for each region. Is there a particular type of landscape that you’d like? Some cool theme for a town or city or community (whether it becomes the central one for the region, or just a random town that exists)? Some piece of lore you think would be nifty to see tied into this setting? Could be anything from robot armies to living volcanos to underwater cities and space pirates.

We understand this is a big change and there is a lot of information above, and we're always happy to hear your thoughts on these ideas. Also, if it is something that we go ahead with, we wanted to make sure you guys all knew well in advance so that you could plan your own plots accordingly (i.e. don't get too far ahead, since who knows what the world will look like a few seasons from now).

And as always, let us know if you have any questions, suggestions, or concerns!

Riot, Thalia, Librus and 4 others like this.
  2. Rani

Rani MODgician

Will my characters be restricted to certain regions now?

Nope! Characters will be able to travel to any of the regions at any time! They can even choose to settle down in a region that is at odds with their original canon. Sci-fi characters are 100% welcome to live in fantasy land, and fantasy characters are 100% welcome to live in apocalypse land.

How will travel between regions work?

Each region will have a border between it. These borders are passable, but will likely be made up of natural formations, such as rivers or mountains or an evil Cthulhu Gorge. Characters will be able to travel over the borders, from region to region.

There will be portals in the sky that open up to the Cosmic Wilderness over every region.

The central hub town of each region will have a portal that goes back and forth between Pandora Town. This is the fast travel option. If a character wishes to take the portals from one region to another, they will take the portal to Pandora Town, walk across the hallway to their destination portal and step through that. They won't even need to see the rest of Pandora Town if they don't want to. It will be a very quick and easy affair.

Pandora Town will also feature a spaceport, so ships can travel back and forth between Pandora Town and the Cosmic Wilderness.

Does that mean Pandora Town controls travel?

Nope! Pandora will not allow the portal system to be compromised. She will have some kind of defense mechanism in place to stop any individual or group from taking control of the portals.

#2 Rani, Feb 3, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    Thalia likes this.
  3. Twist

Twist Your dish of T

Race:
    Random
    I think this all sounds like a very big idea and it'll certainly shake things up! That being said I did have a few questions about things.

For example, if people were already used to traveling between other towns and bypassing Pandora Town would those 'backroads' be destroyed or cease to exist? Not that I object to Pandora Town, I have a number of characters there and enjoy the setting very much, but it seems a little limiting for the world. I'm also a little confused about the fixed-genre idea, though that is more of a personal question, having canons that are very much from blended-genre works.

As far as location suggestions, I think it could be a lot of fun to have border areas where things would touch. Maybe there is a place where fantasy and sci-fi can butt up against each other, and you have people riding dragons and carrying flamethrowers. Or where you have apocalypse werewolves, things like that? Maybe Pandora is less worried about those little pockets because they are an overlap and therefore out of focus? Funkiness of alien geometry?

4. Nessa

Nessa Player

Ohhh! Can i just say these ideas all sound really awesome, first off? I really loved the patchwork element of Pandora when I was first starting out here and it'd be great to see that brought more into focus, with more genres and setting finally being explored.

Umm, I have a few ideas, mostly for the fantasy/low-tech region, because of course I do xD So if y'all are interested in hearing...

I think the broadest reaching idea I have is for basically the lay out of the fantasy region and how it would interact with the other regions? Like, you mentioned that there would be rooms for future plots to find backroads to the other regions besides Pandora town, and I'm thinking that maybe the way things can be set up would be something like... alright so you have your High-Fantasy setting where basically every other rock you turn over is basically imbued with magical power. Maybe Pandora has even created this kind of magical "hub" as it were specifically to keep things at a low-tech level, like there is so much magical energy around that more advanced technology just doesn't function. Maybe it's even to the point that it's *so* magical, mortal beings can't even really stand to be in the area long because it starts to mess with them. They could fall ill, possibly even go mad? There could be lots of dangers in the area too, like Silverwood is supposed to be, with it's monster infestation and the way the trees are always moving about only turned up to 11. So yeah, you have this sort of magical center of the region that only like...Faeries/half-fae and Gods/demigods and Demons and angels and other Folkloric, Mythical beings can safely traverse for extended periods of time (but maybe there could be some future plot to find some kind of spell or other magical work around so that mortals can explore it safely. And of course, you could always have your reckless characters go marching in anyway, risking their health and sanity in the name of SCIENCE!)

The further out from this magical hub you go, the less magic there is, the more stable things start to become and the more advanced technology there can be. Here's where you can start to play with putting in more Historical settings in Pandora, and what's cool about this idea is we can actually bring in more settings and time periods than just "Medieval?" Like...I'm picturing this kind of as concentric circles radiating outward from this magical hub, and the further back you go the further back in earth's history you find yourself. There could be a circle of the Ancient World with a kind of Greek/Mesopotamian/roman/Ancient China/ect kind of feel to it, and then a Medieval circle, then maybe a Renaissance kind of circle, followed by something that's more Age of Sail/Englightenment/Regency type of circle, and then maybe something Victorian? Basically the further out you go, the nearer to a "modern" setting you get and the level of magic in each circle kind of reflects the relationships and views on nature and magic that each time period is popularly seen to have possessed. When you get to the border towns and stuff, this is where you could have some cool, genre-crossing type action going on, Like, on the border between Fantasy Land and the Modern World this is where you have your more Urban Fantasy type settings where magic and technology can flow freely, or maybe in on the border with Apocolypse World, You have a Lovecraftian Apocalypse, with a bunch of Cultists and Eldrich Abominations or something?

You could also have some neat little sub-genre pockets in each historical circle and sub-region? Like in the Victorian area you could have some cool Steam Punk stuff going on, or in the Regency/Enlightenment area, this could be where your really awesome Gothic Town is, with it's misty streets and gas lamps, it's ghosts and demons, vampires and faeries and spirits lurking about.

As for any other bits of lore I'd like to see...some kind of Fae realm in this fantasy world could be nice. Someplace dangerous that can be reached by walking the wrong path by mistake, or stumbling across a fairy circle. It can be in the forest, or underground or even an alternate Dimension within Pandora that still holds deep connections to the world. Or, you know, all of the above. I'd love Faerie balls and Goblin markets and the constant risk of being stolen away by Beautiful Monsters. Basically I just want the Sidhe to be more of a thing in Pandora, because they are just...so...cool.

Asside from that, every self-respecting fantasy land needs an underground city. Weather it's run by dwarves, elves, fae, or something else, underground cities are really cool, so I dono...stick Morhall over here and give it an overhaul maybe?

5. Rani

Rani MODgician

I'm not sure if I'm understanding your question correctly, so I hope this helps. But the idea is that each region will be separated by some kind of barrier -- what this is, we have no idea yet. Might be natural formations or some kind of Pandora force field thingy. Characters would just be traveling through Pandora Town to get from one area to the next. So, Pandora Town would be like a pit stop. You take the portal from Fantasy Land City, to Pandora Town, and then from there walk across the hallway to take the portal from Pandora Town to Sci Fi City. Pandora Town will also have physical exits into each region, if characters don't want to take the portal or want to travel to a point in the region that's closer to Pandora Town than the portal's destination.

If backroads are discovered, we won't destroy them. If you're talking about the roads that exist now, those won't exist anymore. We're talking about an entirely new landscape and geography for Pandora. The map as it is now will be 100% changed.

This would be very cool. What I'd probably do is just have the land outside of Pandora Town extend a bit to have its own neutral region, where anything goes.

Though I think most of those things could easily fit into one of the planned regions. Dragon-riders with flamethrowers could be apocalypse world or sci-fi world, depending on the level of tech. Apocalypse werewolves could be in apocalypse world super easily. I think the biggest distinction we have between the regions is the structure of society and the level of magic vs the level of technology. Whether or not you call a dragon a mutant, a magical beast, an alien, or a creature from mythology doesn't really matter so much, since it could fit into any of those regions.

The idea of the regions is more like..... we want a medieval fantasy-themed region where we won't see modern conveniences creeping in (like cars and cell phones and the internet and such), which is what happened with most of the attempts to create a low-tech community in Pandora. Or we want room to create a community that is legitimately low or no magic. That sort of thing. We're trying to avoid making a list of specific things that are allowed in each region, and looking more at overall themes/tropes. If that makes sense?

Did that help? If you have other questions or need clarification on something or want to bounce around some ideas, feel free!

Thalia, theweasleyboys, Octi and 3 others like this.
  6. Rani

Rani MODgician

There are a ton of good ideas here to unpack and we'll definitely take them into consideration. Fantasy Land will absolutely have areas with varying densities of magic, though personally I might shy away from making it formulaic, just because that can make it a little harder to freely world build and might work against the patchwork nature of the regions.

But yeah, I think we'll have plenty of sub-genre pockets, it's just a matter of figuring out which region to toss them into. Though the borderlands idea that both you and @Twist mentioned could be a good method.

Though a little tricky, since sci-fi land is going to remain in the cosmic wilderness, so anything that borders that would be in....the sky? XD

Edit: Oh, and on the topic of having areas where tech just breaks down, I have thought about that a bit and we might include places like that as notable locations, but not as a regular feature throughout fantasy-land (and not as any of the major hubs/locales), since we don't want to regularly strip character's of their skillsets if they decide to travel. But I definitely want to include things like that, or even places that are strictly anti-magic.

7. Keira

Keira Player

Alignment:
    Chaotic Evil
    Personally, I'm not sure I'm really into the idea of having PT being the only way to get between regions. The idea of barriers between them, while it makes sense theoretically, wouldn't really make sense for long with so many magical and futuristic folk, would it? I mean, we've got the Mages Guild who iirc set up the current portal network years ago, and would obviously set about looking for ways to connect the new regions by direct portals rather than have everything go through PT (and therefore have travel basically in Pandora Town's government's control, I believe).

And if the regions will have magical barriers to prevent portals being set up that way, then what would that mean for character-specific transportation? For example, my character Nynaeve opens up gateways which are basically portals of her own. Will she be able to get from Magic Land to Apocalypse Land etc, etc. while ignoring Pandora Town?

Fleet, Thalia, theweasleyboys and 5 others like this.
  8. Rani

Rani MODgician

Well, individual characters would still be able to create portals and such wherever they want to go, as long as that's within their skill set. The regions won't block a character from using magic or some other special ability to travel where they'd like. These barriers between the region are just going to stop people from walking/driving/etc. It won't stop unique skills that are designed to get them from point A to point B instantly.

Creating their own permanent portal network for everyone to use between regions, however, would likely tip the balance of some regions, and that's something Pandora wouldn't allow. The mages guild setting up a portal network within Fantasy Land would totally work (though maybe not in the low magic zones), just like sci-fi land setting up a system of Stargates or wormholes or what not would be fine.

I hadn't thought of the consequences of the portal system falling under Pandora Town's control, however. It's honestly really good plot fodder, but we also don't want to make it impossible to travel from region to region. Hmmmmm, I might recommend some unique Pandora defense thingy to make sure nobody can stop somebody from using a portal. Like a guardian that will instantly zap someone trying to control the portals outside the city. They can come right back of course, but if they keep trying, they'll keep getting zapped outside. :p

Sabine, Thalia, Nic and 3 others like this.
  9. theweasleyboys

theweasleyboys Silly Denizen of the Sewer Tunnels

Resident Snarker
    Race:
    Hummingbird
    Directory:
    link
    I'd kinda like to keep the Travel Portals around, too...because if some big disaster happens to my non-gateway-creating folks outside of PT and they have to evacuate, never mind a load of other characters that live there, they'd kinda have to get somewhere safe pretty darn quick, amirite??

I mean, one of them might have his own transport ship, but ah...the others might pretty much be stuck. Not sure if this has been addressed yet, but thought I should put it out there.

((ps:: I'll be bringing an undead bear into Morhall pretty soon, soooo if the 'Lonely Mountain' faces Apocalypseland sometime in the future, I give that idea two thumbs up!))

Fleet, Sabine, Steel and 1 other person like this.
  10. Keira

Keira Player

Alignment:
    Chaotic Evil
    What about transport systems unique to each region? Such as:
    -Portals for the Magic region.
    -Teleportation pads for the Sci-Fi region
    -Planes for the Modern region
    -[insert something here] for the Apocalypse region (I have no clue >>)

Nairne, Jen, Sabine and 4 others like this.
  11. Rani

Rani MODgician

Well, each central city of the regions will have a portal that goes back to Pandora Town. So if there's a danger in Pandora Town, they can portal or exit to any other region. And if there's a danger in the central city of a region, they can portal to Pandora Town or evacuate the city. Don't worry, the portals in Pandora Town aren't one way. Characters can go back and forth. :)

But we're not aiming to make travel instantaneous or super convenient for every single character, from any location in the world. However, the main hubs will all have that back and forth Pandora Town connection, so it will be very easy to travel from region to region. And this way there will still be room for characters and players who are interested in long journeys and epic quests and old fashioned adventures and stuff to travel somewhere distant without having an MMO-style convenient teleport back to the main city (which is something I've personally been dying for forever :p).

Steel, Sabine, Thalia and 3 others like this.
  12. Rani

Rani MODgician

Yep, we'll probably have stuff like that! If not from the start, then they could be developed by the characters in each region. I'm not sure if the Modern Region would be large enough to warrant planes...I was thinking more of trains and buses and such, but we'll sort that out once we figure out how large these regions will end up being.

The only one that I think might not have an easy travel method is Apocalypse region, since that region is supposed to be all about harsh, rugged survival, and a super fast travel network would undermine that, I think. They can have cars and trucks and maybe even some beat up trains and stuff though.

Steel, Jen, Thalia and 3 others like this.
  13. Nessa

Nessa Player

Actually, I think having tech break down being a regular part of Fantasy Land would be a feature, rather than a bug. While I can understand not wanting to strip characters of their skill sets, it's not required that these more futuristic characters even go to these places, and it would also open up plotting oppertunities that haven't really been there for certain Characters before? Like, if you look at the way Pandora is set up now, many of the more historical characters are at a disadvantage in terms of having to learn and adapt to a totally new society full of ideas and technology they've never had to encounter before. Meanwhile for the more modern and tech-loving characters, they don't really have this issue, they can just get on with life, chugging along as normally as possible in Pandora because they're basically surrounded by technology and have no issue with it. I think it could be really fun to reverse that dynamic a bit, honestly, and even the playing feild out.

Why not have the more tech-loving characters have to adapt and deal with the fact that their toys won't work? Why not have them have to learn new skills and adapt to a totally alien setting in order to function? that's what many of the characters who've come from historical settings have had to do, and really, isn't that the point of tossing these characters in these totally new settings to begin with? And really, if you're in a place surrounded by people with swords and the occasional gun, and you have a Samus-Style Mech suit, or a Lightsaber, you're....kiiind of at an unfair advantage when you're traveling, while meanwhile the sword-wielding Knight over there doesn't get nearly that same advantage when visiting Future World or the Modern Parts of Pandora.

I'm not even saying make it so ALL tech doesn't work in Fantasy Land, Mechanically and chemically based items, like clockworks and guns could totally still work just fine (heck, make a clockwork mech suit to travel this part of Pandora with, if it so pleases you). I'm talking more Plasma Swords and Blaster Guns.

Really, you can even have it so that in the more Mundane Modern-World bits of Pandra Magic doesn't function, just to make it more fair in that respect. I don't mean to be disrespectful or anything, but isn't the point in playing in a place like Pandora to force your characters to experience new things and to have to adapt to this strange world?

Also, not to cling too much to my own ideas for this setting, but I feel like pointing out that even with my concentric-circles envisioning of this fantasy section of Pandora, there can still be lots of room for the patchwork style that makes Pandora so cool. Even though (very broad) time periods and tech levels are grouped together, after all, very different cultures can exist within these time periods and tech levels, and you can still have, say, a Iroquois style Long House next to an Ancient Greek Temple, or a Cathedral from Medieval France stuck right across the street from a building from Japan or china from the same period.

Steel, Nairne, Sabine and 4 others like this.
  14. Rani

Rani MODgician

Honestly, one of my very first ideas was to have a character's tech adapt to the region they're in. Like if Iron Man flies into fantasy land, suddenly his suit is made of wood and runs on some magical power source or what not. But I scrapped it, cause too complicated (just imagining all the inevitable questions on what a character's setting-shifted skills would look like makes me wary XD) and I'm definitely hesitant to include global rules like that. It's why I'm planning to make like specific subareas within fantasy-land totally anti-tech, but not the overall region.

However, I am interested in hearing what other players think of the concept of having anti-tech or anti-magic regions that would impact a character's personal skillset, whether it's a large/major area, or just smaller areas that are optional.

Steel, Sabine, Thalia and 2 others like this.
  15. Nessa

Nessa Player

i can definately understand how complicated an idea like that could get xD That's kind of why I was envisoning more of a gradient between tech and magic, a spectrum where the closer you are to the heart of Fantasy land the less reliable your tech would be, whereas when you get closer to the border more and more technology starts working? It could work the opposite way over in Modernlandia as well, the nearer to the border you are the stronger the magic is, the further away from the border you get the less and less magic you can do. That could set up it's own set of problems of course, with determining how gradually that change between tech vs magic happens so yeah...other people's input is definitely needed obviously xD

Steel, Nairne, Rani and 2 others like this.
  16. Twist

Twist Your dish of T

Race:
    Random
    I think having anti-tech and anti-magic pockets is fair, as long as there's an equal amount of both. High-tech people have to adapt to a world of magic as much as the more historical or fantastical ones have to adapt to new tech levels, after all. The question that I would have in that case would be things that are almost 'sci-magic', like alchemy or the Force, or divine beings, which are sort of magic and sort of a unique species with other abilities. Though given the flexible nature of Pandora as a whole perhaps that would be up to the player, so long as it's fair?

I'm not too much worried about the immediate answers to those questions or the logistics at this exact moment but those have been things I've wondered personally.

Eel O'Brian, Steel, Rani and 3 others like this.
  17. Jack

Jack Player

Dog lady
    Race:
    Moose
    Alignment:
    Lawful Evil
    anti tech and anti magic sectors could have their place in the grand scheme of things, but they could also be a headache for certain characters or players, and not necessarily always in a fun way. There are certain characters who rely on magic or tech to survive, after all. For example, Crowley might not be able to enter an anti-magic area because it's only through a form of magic that he can keep possession of his human body. An Android character would obviously have a bad time in an anti-tech bubble.

Mind you, I also kinda feel like this would open up some really fun plots and ideas, as long as these anti-whatever zones didn't become big hotspots for activity, since then it might just be frustrating for those with characters who couldn't go there.

Steel, Jen, Rani and 5 others like this.
  18. Nessa

Nessa Player

I really understand where the other side is comming from with this, especially with characters who basically *can't* function without magic/tech are involved. The thing I'm afraid of though is if the anti-tech and anti-magic areas aren't made prominent enough places on the site is that they'll get ignored and avoided not just because characters with certain skill sets wouldn't be able to use those skills, but also because they aren't important enough to be worth going to, making the adaptational aspect and the whole idea of having to adjust to a new world with new limitations just kind of fall to the wayside and have some really good plot potential lost. I don't think these should be some back-woods out of the way places or blips on Pandora's map. I think some kind of compromise needs to be reached where not only the number of anti-whatever areas are the same, but also that there's a good mixture of anti-magic/anti-tech areas that *are* important enough to attract characters there as well as important places that don't put limits on a character's abilities. Perhaps there should even be an option for some kind of development for an in-character work around? Like, say the development of tech/magic that allows characters who need magic or tech to survive in these anti-whatever areas?

Steel, Octi and Thalia like this.
  19. Wisdom

Wisdom Player

Super Geek/Crazy Person
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Well, I haven't read all the replies, but I'll list a few things that I think would be good, if we took the right measures with this:
    1. Have Pandora change due to a big-bad or evil group that antagonizes Pandora. Their leader could be an all-powerful entity that even the strongest heroes can't defeat alone. The big-bad reshapes Pandora, making the locations now be in new places (i.e. Pandora Town being the center of Pandora).​
    2. Maybe not try to be so specific about each land's theme in tech. The beautiful thing about Pandora is that there are no cliques, especially when it comes to RP. I love the fact we currently can have characters do things and still function in a setting. I think basing each region off of tech alone with only make it less interesting to go to other parts of the world. A ton of RP sites do that and people wind up not threading that much and having the luxury of having characters react to each other. Let Pandora stay unique and make it easy for any two charries to meet by not limiting them.​
    3. Use Pandora's change in landscape to the advantage of the story plot. It'll be more compelling to have a set reason why Pandora decides to change when this happens.​
    I'll think of a few other things. That's the three things I thought of immediately.​

Steel, Nairne, Rani and 3 others like this.
  20. Jack

Jack Player

Dog lady
    Race:
    Moose
    Alignment:
    Lawful Evil
    In the same vein as Wisdom, I have to agree that I worry about splitting Pandora into such clearly divisive locations. Not necessarily for the tech aspect, but because it would allow characters to have a place where they feel so completely at home that they wouldn't have any reason to venture out. So you would run the risk of a lot of great characters amassing in "their" section of Pandora and never branching out, and thus never meeting characters that are way different than them, which still happens as the world is laid out right now.

Obviously this still hinges on the actual players, but I think this could make it very easy to create... "Fandom cliques", if you will, in certain sections of the new setting.

Steel, Nairne, Chen and 3 others like this.