HeaderBox1

Welcome
to Pandora

By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box. Only the box is a world of its own.

We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.

Spotlight

Story Hub Banner

Want to add a quote? Submit them here!

1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The snow topped buildings and shops of Hogsmeade are all decked out for the holidays, ready for visitors! Make sure to visit while it's still here!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. A magical wish-granting pool has been discovered in the desert. Read more about it here
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The WRITING CONQUEST is back! Complete challenges and earn points for your team!
    Click here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Pandora is searching for staff.
    Click here for more information!

Community Pandora World Shakeup and Brainstorming

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Rani, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Ada

Ada The Beast

Unholy God
    Race:
    Eldritch Horror
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    I like the overall idea as well, I just have a few concerns which I guess because of my characters gives me unique perspectives of these barriers and travel restrictions which actually would make me literally have to drop characters as they would no longer be playable in the setting.

1. No more portals from Cosmic Wilderness to Pandora? So we can only get to the Wilderness through portals in Pandora Town? This now has completely killed all plotting Mal and the Serenity crew could do getting jobs through Pandora and transporting things. This would actually single handedly kill the reason for having Serenity and her crew. No jobs, no money, no gas. Mal can't operate in a single zone like cosmic wilderness unless we add literally several planets and organize it more like the verse because considering how often deals fall short and his illegal actions they would get caught pretty fast. I've been having him making connections or trying to in every town to run business with shipping and smuggling between towns and even was going to start expanding to the tiny moon base already set up. Since I guess there is a bar there? So if we can't actually get Serenity onto Pandora anymore....there goes already all my plots I've started with people. The whole smuggling would be impossible with a groups of people lugging cargo crates through regulated portals in Pandora Town. Hello whole Serenity crew being under arrest in less than 3 seconds. Plus not to forget Serenity herself is a HUGE member of this group so having to ditch Serenity in favor of actually doing a job sucks. I don't like the idea ships can't get back to Pandora because it limits plotting for I am sure a lot of Scifi people.

2. Barriers. So having these borders and barriers up and having to travel to Pandora Town to get from one place to another and having now quick travels grantee's I'm going to have to drop Kenzie because it would literally take him YEARS to get anywhere. He would have to find a patch of earth, stay there, and HOPE a plot would fall in his lap and I don't think that is going to happen. I have mentioned in IC it takes him DAYS to get from one end of Pandora Town to the other and his main method of travel between towns has been the portal system. Without having something like that in place or quick travels some characters are SOL and no longer welcomed in a Pandora setting. Not sure how many tiny characters there are but Kenzie would be one of them. I would never be able to get him anywhere if a plot shows up because again, with his size it would take him years to reach the place. I also can't rely on him traveling with another character because people get busy and ditch plots so Kenzie is literally going to end up stuck somewhere in Pandora and that is about it. Unless he gets trapped in PT but then that is it. He can't ever leave or plot outside of PT for the simple fact he'd never make it far elsewhere and lets not even get started on despite the fact it would take him YEARS to travel from point A to B he's also a mouse and would likely get eaten in about 3 to 5 days. Also how I have avoided him having to openly travel through dangerous lands he can't face is the travel system. Kenzie can perhaps fight a smaller serpent or smaller birds of prey on his own but even just having a stray dog come up on him while he was traveling or a fox, things other characters don't even have to consider and Kenzie is dead. Add to that he comes from a fantasy world with no magic, no tech, no magic. So according to the rules he can't even have a form of tech or learn magic to travel because that doesn't exsist in his world. Unfortunately with this setup I would have no ability to play him anymore and it feels sort of...unfair? It also really cuts out a whole portion of characters that can't be rped in Pandora such as Redwall and Mouse Guard characters or even Great Mouse Detective.

Octi likes this.
  2. Nic

Nic Coordinator
    Plots & Events Division Application Division

Small Child Wrangler
    Race:
    Coffee Addict
    I don't think it was ever suggested that small ships/shuttles can't land in other zones from the Cosmic Wilderness. From what I understand, it's going to be a "bubble" that stretches over all of Pandora, so theoretically you could land your ship anywhere.

might not be a good idea to land in Fantasy Land for a long time because tech starts to go a little haywire after an extended period of time there, but it's not impossible I don't think?? Rani can correct me if I'm wrong there. xD

Additionally, sci-fi land is going to be pretty well developed. It's not just going to be empty space - there are going to be space ports, there's going to be a whole city, and if I'm understanding correctly, each zone will have a scattering of smaller towns/villages/communities etc. So I think Serenity's crew will be just fine!

To your point with Kenzie... he would already have to travel to get to the Mirror Network? The mirrors aren't all over, they are only located in the major towns, so this would already be a factor for him.

Octi likes this.
  3. Nic

Nic Coordinator

Small Child Wrangler
    Race:
    Coffee Addict
    OH WHOOPS
    I guess it was said that PT would be the only entrance to the Cosmic Wilderness. But during our discussion in Coordinator chat just now I think we've decided to change that to open things up more.

Ada and Octi like this.
  4. Rani

Rani MODgician
    Plots & Events Division Technical Division

So, one thing to remember about Pandora is that organic development and plots comes 100% from the characters within Pandora. And they absolutely have to work around the 'whims of Pandora' way that the box functions. It's been like this since day 1, though again, it's another feature of Pandora that has been largely lost. That's another reason why we're looking at this shakeup, because we want to bring back the emphasis on that feature which is a part of Pandora's original vision.

Pandora is not an organic world. People and places can disappear overnight. You might wake up one morning to find out that your house is suddenly on an island in the middle of the ocean. Why? Because Pandora can be a troll. We obviously don't do this to any location submissions or housing sign-ups or other things in Pandora, cause that would add a whole level of nightmare to upkeep. But it's a feature of the world and always has been.

This shakeup will just be giving you guys a whole lot of new space and options for your characters to mess with and develop, but without breaking the "setting" and allowing for themed locations for all kinds of characters, and not just those who steadily push towards modern day conveniences.

On that note, however, we realize that you guys are attached to the developments you've already made. So while some won't be able to survive this change, part of this thread is to get feedback from what you guys on what you want the features and locations and such of this new world. If you want to keep a settlement with a Horizon feel, and have ideas on how it might be able to be revamped to fit into one of these regions, totally let us know!

At the moment, Morhall is kind of our last bastion when it comes to low tech, since the others have been mostly lost. And we never like turning down interesting development ideas that people have, but we have to keep saying no to bringing in Starknet or electricity or other modern tech and conveniences, and yet there isn't a good reason that's actually stopping them from developing when technology is so easy for some characters. So we're having Pandora set some ground rules to help us keep the themed locales alive. But we definitely want to hear what you guys want to have survive the revamp (whether it's laws or culture or specific tech or what not), and we'll see what we can fit in and where.

Yeah, there's definitely plenty of room for this sort of thing after the revamp happens, and people adjust to Pandora's new landscape and setup. And I think there will be even more room and it'll be even easier now, since the world will be much larger and we won't have to worry so much about whether or not this plot is worth the disruption it could potentially bring to a majority of the community.

I don't think that will be an issue, since Pandora Town isn't meant to have a modern aesthetic. The fact that (I'm fairly sure) a lot of players imagine it with a modern aesthetic now is part of why we're doing this revamp, to bring back the emphasis on the fact that Pandora Town is a patchwork town. It's gonna have super weird sci-fi/alien stuff, next to medieval churches or wagons carting off the dead.

Everything in modern land will be very much a real world aesthetic. Pandora Town will be a mish-mash of aesthetics and features from apocalypse land + fantasy land + modern world + sci-fi land + whatever other random genres we can fit in there..

So, these barriers will definitely be set by Pandora. I do like the idea of inter-region politics or what not. But the borders won't be set by them, since Pandora will be setting the rules for each region, and that's not something the people inside the box will be able to alter.

I think combining some of the aesthetic of Morhall and Horizon would be a great idea, and turning them into a new town. We'll definitely keep that idea on the table!

Well, we don't want to make any region more important or prominent than the other, so we probably won't be making the space settlement have the same travel options as Pandora Town. With all the sci-fi characters we have and the large demand for it, I don't think it will have any trouble taking off even if it's a brand new city/colony/whatever.

Yep, this will definitely be a thing, just like it is now! And this thread is here for you guys to tell us what you want to see in the world, so ideas on how to reshape our current towns to fit them into the new setup would be super welcome!

Well, with the discussion, I think we're moving away from impassable barriers between the regions. But there will be natural barriers that might be a little more difficult to pass over, such as mountains or rivers or such.

Also, traveling via portal through Pandora Town will be like a 2 minute endeavor. Somebody passing through Pandora Town this way won't even see Pandora Town, not really. They'll see the portal hub, and will walk over to their next portal and be at their final destination.

So, while this is a super cool idea, we don't really want to put literally world reshaping level of influence on any player character's shoulders. It's perfectly canon for Pandora to randomly change stuff around, and a lot of our goal behind this revamp is to bring Pandora's unstable nature back to the forefront, so the pantheon will be taking care of that themselves. :)

Characters won't be restricted to any region. They'll be able to travel wherever they'd like, anywhere they'd like. The portals are provided as a fast travel option to the central location of each region, but if characters want to head out even further to explore the area, they'll be able to take advantage of whatever travel options are available in that region.

So, you'll have plenty of room for adventures on the road. :)

So this is a super quick/rough thing I whipped up. I did not include the Cosmic Wilderness since it's going to be on top of the box, so this just includes the "ground" regions.

Just a super rough thing, and the coastline will probably totally change. But that's what I'm kind of aiming for at the moment.
    [​IMG]

You bring up a good point, and after thinking about it, we'll keep some portals from the Cosmic Wilderness into the various regions of Pandora. However, since sci-fi ships landing in nearly any region (except maybe apocalypse land) would be a huge break of setting, we'll likely implement that "the longer they stay, the higher chance they have of breaking down" thing, so encourage short pit-stops.

And we'll only allow smaller ships to land, so something like the Firefly will probably be okay. But larger things on the level of like The Enterprise, will be too big for any portal.

Also, keep in mind that this revamp is about fleshing out every region. The Cosmic Wilderness will have a lot more to it. Probably not entire planets, because we don't want it to be on a 100% different level in terms of size (y'know, more than it already is) compared to other regions. But definitely big chunks of planet with plenty of surface area to explore for days and weeks and room for colonies and space stations and cities and all your staples of sci-fi.

Well, the portals between towns will function nearly as they do now. The only difference is that they funnel you through Pandora Town now, and it's like two minutes between portals (obviously longer for Kenzie). If Kenzie were to wander outside of any of the towns, I don't really see his predicament being any worse than it already was.

That's just one of those things that a player has to handle if they choose to play a particularly small character (Octi can tell you, she used to play a one-inch tall character!). And of course, you can pursue plots to try and find better ways for him to travel. Maybe he can find some kind of large dragonfly to fly around on, for example.

Unfortunately, we can't really cater to particularly unique characters who are automatically had a huge disadvantage due to their size. But I'm sure plenty of people would be happy to help you come up with ideas on how Kenzie can work around his small stature.

Andii, Octi, Ophelia and 1 other person like this.
  5. Ophelia

Ophelia the crazy hobo loser in the corner
    Lore Division

studying stuff
    Race:
    a human
    siiince Horizon looks like this Morhall can be relocated in those big roooocks [​IMG]

i'll shut up noow

Crystal Peak, Andii, Rani and 2 others like this.
  6. Rani

Rani MODgician

That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking. :p

Octi and Andii like this.
  7. Chen

Chen Player

One concern I actually wanna bring up (sorry if someone already did) about he Apocalypse Zone isn’t about he layout or anything it’s more about he idea that there will be Exiles. My main concern there is none of the current Pandora law systems really feels like it would do this simply because it feels very Orwellian and while each government has bad seeds in it none really have gotten to the Arkham City level where they just round up criminals and dump them into the hellascape. Really I’d think the exile would work better as a plot for a new smaller settlement that’s more oppressive while an alternative prison is figured out for like PT since we have the cosmic wilderness open ideas like a satellite prison or just a normal magi tech style or futuristic prison or something to fit with the patchwork theme of the town would make more sense continuity wise for Pandora Towns laws

Octi, Fleet and Rani like this.
  8. Nic

Nic Coordinator

Small Child Wrangler
    Race:
    Coffee Addict
    I don't think Apocalypse Land is meant to be the only form of punishment for crimes. I know it in part came up because we have actually had complaints from people about their characters only having the option of imprisonment when caught committing major crimes, so I think the idea partially stemmed from that.

Every major town/city will still be autonomous as far as I know. So the characters actually in charge of the governments will decide how crime and punishment are handled.

Octi and Rani like this.
  9. Rani

Rani MODgician

We were suggesting exile as a potential answer to the question of what to do with criminals. There's been some discontent within the community for a very, very long time now about characters in law enforcement feelings like they have no power and thus their players feel frustrated, because characters who break the law (and not just like petty crimes, but really, really, really huge stuff) get away with it repeatedly. And even if we try to enforce consequences, players don't want always their character sent to jail, because then they feel like they can't actually do anything. So, it's kind of like this awkward stalemate, where law enforcement characters want to feel effective, but criminal characters want to not have their roleplay abruptly limited to a jail cell.

So, I'm hoping that turning apocalypse land into a kind of place for exiles (just the really, really bad ones -- unless some town/region wants to go really over the top with it) will help solve that problem for people on both sides of it.

Of course, that's just one idea. If anybody else have any thoughts on how to solve the issue of law enforcement vs criminals, we'd love to hear it. It's been something we've been struggling with for a good long time now.

But yeah, I think apocalypse land as a place of exile would be just another option on the table, if two players are trying to hash out how to handle a character finally being caught, and law enforcement finally getting a chance to feel like they accomplished something. But if they work out some other agreement, that could definitely work too. But like....if a character would realistically be faced with a life sentence or death penalty for just being too dangerous, we think giving them a whole different region to run around in is a good compromise for both sides.

Also, these new regions will bring new governments and such. I know @Blix wants to see room for more corrupt governments, where everything isn't quite as goody two shoes everywhere. And in the location/lore suggestion thread, @Nessa had suggested alternatives to the council system that PT started and everywhere else is picking up. So, we could see some other styles of government pop up, which would be cool.

Crystal Peak, Chen, Blix and 3 others like this.
  10. Amity

Amity Player

Thank you so much for your reply Rani! I appreciate it! I would like to offer a suggestion. If the region/genre expansion happened, why not have it reveal ancient ruins and that which reveals a little more of this world's history? Surely there would have been so kind of city of something which was left here when this world was young? I know there is a bit of history already but I just thought it couldn't hurt to add more historical discoveries or even new vicious monsters to these regions. I apologise for mention this, it reminds me of a cartoon show when I was quite young. XD

Octi and Rani like this.
  11. Crystal Peak

Crystal Peak Even in darkness, there is always light

Dreamer and Chef
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Personally, I really enjoy this whole concept, since it'd be cool to see Pandora have a make-over! Having the different lands and all that would be super interesting, since, some characters are/were struggling with some of Pandora's stuff. So, the fantasy land would totally work for them, and etc. While change is scary, it'd be interesting to see how our characters can react and develop in this situations!

I think keeping Misty Hollow and Cascade Bay would be pretty cool, as well as combining Morhall with Horizon. Now, going with the example map you guys have shown, you could have Morhall/Horizon become the Hub City for Fantasy Land. Since there is still going to be an ocean, and the lands are also going to have smaller towns, Fantasy Land and Mordern Land---and Pandora Town---could have ports connecting them for trading and fishing! At the sea, there could be some large islands and stuff, Cascade Bay could be there, being the naval trading central in a way! Just a suggestion, since it'd also be interesting to have a more widespread ocean area, with islands and the like, since we'll also have the Cosmic Wilderness.

I do agree that the barrier thing separating the worlds seems a bit odd? Makes sense for the Apocalypse land, since who would want to have a horde of zombies attacking them, but the others could be more like borders? Since some people might want to just explore the whole place by foot and camp, but still the whole concept is pretty awesome!

I do have some questions though, whenever you have time. :)

1) Will locations like the Otherworld remain? It's been around for a while now, and I love the concept of this parallel dimension you could enter through various ways (dreams, crystal flowers, etc.). I'd love to see this world remain since it's still an awesome location that has a lot of potential, especially with the new lands and possibilities the revamp will bring.

2) Will seasonal locations still be around? And will group locations change depending on their surroundings--like the Mages' Guild and Schola Praeditos--or will they be revamped as well?

3) If Misty Hollow is transported to the Modern Land, will 'magic' still kind of work there? Because the Barrier is an integral part of the town to keep out the Misty Hollow weirdness and it does have magic. Will that be adapted different?

All in all, change will be interesting to see, as well as seeing all the plot potential the new lands/worlds can bring! :D

Octi and Nairne like this.
  12. Rani

Rani MODgician

Pandora is kind of weird in that it doesn't have that sort of chronological history. Though my old Kingdom of the Lost story hub was supposed to dig into some Pandora history. It's something we may continue looking at in the future!

But we definitely want to see ruins and stuff to explore in Pandora. Whether or not they'll be connected to some kind of Pandora "history" remains to be seen. :)

With discussion in this thread, we've changed it so that the barriers won't be an impassible thing. Each area will just have some kind of border in place -- likely a natural part of the geography like a mountain or a river or something.

Steel and I were talking about the Otherworld a bit, and we were thinking of kind of changing it to cover all kinds of alternate dimensions/layers of reality and such. It doesn't get much use now, probably cause it's extremely particular/unique. But we think shifting it to cover like dreamland or the spirit realm and just kind of a grouping of everything that isn't just the physical level of reality would see it get more use.

What do you guys think?

Seasonal locations will still be used!

And we'll be moving any location submissions into areas that are suitable for their setup. So the Mages' Guild would end up in fantasy land, and Schola Praeditos would probably end up in fantasy-land or Modern Land. If something doesn't have a location submission, then it will be up to the players involved to create one and submit it to a suitable area. Players of course can redesign these location submissions at any time.

Modern Land will still have magic! Modern Land is just about the modern aesthetic and tech level. It won't be a strictly no magic region. There might be certain areas within it that have no magic, but Modern Land is designed to cover all of your typical modern-setting genres, including ones that incorporate magic.

Octi and Crystal Peak like this.
  13. Crystal Peak

Crystal Peak Even in darkness, there is always light

Dreamer and Chef
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Oh, that idea for the Otherworld sounds super cool! Since it'd mesh all those different variations, it'd totally get more use of it like that. :D I totally love that idea! *thumbs up*

Octi and Rani like this.
  14. Mako

Mako MINUS FIVE STARS

Prole
    Race:
    Goblin
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    As I am thoroughly late to this particular party, I'm not overly surprised that everyone has gone and taken all the good points and brought them up already. What bastards.

Nah just kidding, you're all cool as hell

I do however have one point of my own that I don't think anyone's brought up yet. As I understand it, this reboot's basically happening to try and bring back some of the Weird Flavour that old Pandora had and make things a little less same-y across the board - in other words, to break up the feeling that some staff and players have that things have gotten a little stagnant or whatever. Is that about right?

If so, it seems to me that this setup would also have that issue, if not more so; specifically, what I'm concerned may happen is that it would be quite difficult to tell what development would and wouldn't go against the theme of whatever zone it's occurring in, especially if it's likely to be a very widespread development, and as such major plots would be even less likely to crop up than they are now.

Mainly I think this is because of the new status quo being explicitly guarded both in IC and OOC terms, by the revelation that if Pandora deems something to be too out of character for one of its zones it'll take steps to rectify this. If, for instance, a villain wants to do the ol' Take Over The World deal, or we have us a big ol' ruck between the towns, it seems hard to imagine how there could be lasting consequences for such things if after a few weeks or so anything significant is switched back to normal etc.

Basically, to summarise this long-winded ramble, how do we maintain the uniqueness of each zone while also developing the board in the way it's developed in the past? What do you guys think?

I need to like... plan this stuff in advance before I post it in future, jeez

Octi, Fleet, Rani and 2 others like this.
  15. Rani

Rani MODgician

That's sooort of it. We don't feel that Pandora is stagnant. Development and such has happened pretty regularly throughout the years. Our primary issue is that we feel Pandora has lost that patchwork world feel that was meant to represent a bunch of different genres and worlds all smooshed together. And while there has been a lot of development, a lot of it pushes towards technological advancement towards modern expectations (or occasionally futuristic ones), which hasn't left much room for both players and characters who are looking for a low tech setting.

I guess it depends on the type of lasting consequences people are looking for. I think that a villain wanting to take over the world, could be a fun plot every once in a while. But those villains would also have to adapt to the regions they're trying to influence. Obviously, if you have a robot army and are trying to take over fantasy land, that's probably not going to work out so well in the long-term. But maybe that villain looks for some kind of magical army to work together with to help them take over fantasy land.

We definitely want these locations to grow and change over time. We're just more focused on not breaking the overall setting. So, fantasy land could have cities rise and fall. They could send their dragons to go invade apocalypse land. Maybe there's even some magitech/clockwork stuff being spread that captures people's souls or something. I think the only time a significant development would be undone is if it just outright breaks the theme of that overall region, and personally I don't think that's a bad thing. Of course, this is coming from somebody who also really wants to see a low tech region, that has room for epic/traditional fantasy adventures without wondering why they don't just grab a jetpack and make that journey in 20 minutes.

Though on the same note, having setting-breaking but temporary events could be fun, I think. But those would likely be something vetted by staff before they're put into action, and not something that happens frequently, since then there's little point in having themed areas.

I guess the key question here is what do you mean by "developing the board in the way it's developed in the past"? Because personally, I don't see it changing except for the fact that development needs to not break the theme of the region. But I do think there is plenty of room for development within that theme, especially since the themes are very broad.

But again, I'm not 100% sure what you mean when you think about how things are developed now, so I might be missing something here.

Octi likes this.