By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box.
Only the box is a world of its own.
We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.
Want to add a quote? Submit them here!
  1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. It's Activity Check Time! November 1-7
    Click here to save your characters!
  3. The new season is here and there's a whole new world to explore!
    Check out the Season Updates HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Pandora is broken.
    Read More Here!
    Dismiss Notice

Player Preferences Form

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Rani, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Rani

Rani MODgician
    Plots & Events Division Technical Division

Feel free to fill out this form and include it in your Character Directory thread or shipper to let people know your preferences in roleplay. You can also just post it here if you'd like. It’s totally optional, but may prove helpful to your current and potential roleplay partners.

Feel free to edit this form in any way you'd like; styling, adding questions, removing questions, etc.

What kind of plots/threads do you prefer?

What kind of plots/threads would you like to avoid?

How do you prefer to handle combat and injuries?

How do you prefer to handle relationship development (friends, enemies, romance, etc.)?

Preferences on potentially triggering topics in roleplay?

What are your post length preferences?

How often do you like to reply to threads?

How long are you willing to wait for a reply?

Would you like to rapid-fire threads?

How do you feel about group threads?

How do you feel about godmoding/powerplaying?

How do you feel about post-splicing? (i.e. Someone replying to each piece of dialogue in your post separately)

Spontaneous or Pre-planned plots?

Anything else?

Code:
    [b]What kind of plots/threads do you prefer?[/b]

[b]What kind of plots/threads would you like to avoid?[/b]

[b]How do you prefer to handle combat and injuries?[/b]

[b]How do you prefer to handle relationship development (friends, enemies, romance, etc.)?[/b]

[b]Preferences on potentially triggering topics in roleplay?[/b]

[b]What are your post length preferences?[/b]

[b]How often do you like to reply to threads?[/b]

[b]How long are you willing to wait for a reply?[/b]

[b]Would you like to rapid-fire threads?[/b]

[b]How do you feel about group threads?[/b]

[b]How do you feel about godmoding/powerplaying?[/b]

[b]How do you feel about post-splicing?  (i.e. Someone replying to each piece of dialogue in your post separately)[/b]

[b]Spontaneous or Pre-planned plots?[/b]

[b]Anything else?[/b]

2. Rani

Rani MODgician
    Plots & Events Division Technical Division

I'm all over the place here. I like light-hearted threads, serious threads, and dark and angsty threads. But best of all, I like a mix of all three. Too much angst can get dull and too much fluff can feel shallow after a while.

Also, I like threads that end. If characters start circling each other with dull conversation, it's probably time to end the thread. It's not a bad thing to have a short thread if that's all it needs.

My favorite types of plots involve family bonds (especially parent-child relationships when there is no blood connection), manipulation, obsession, possession. I like dark themes. >.>

I'm not a fan of random meet and greet threads, since in most cases, they seem to go nowhere. If there's some kind of hook, I'll happily jump into a thread. But it has to be something more than "they bump into each other in the street".

This depends largely on who I am threading with. If we don't plot extensively or thread a ton, please run anything by me. Otherwise, I'd say wing it (and this will go into my powerplaying and godmoding preferences below).

How do you prefer to handle relationship development (friends, enemies, romance, etc.)?
    I like relationships to feel dynamic and grow in a realistic manner. Multiple threads exploring that developing relationship are the best. I'm also cool with talking about relationship developments for behind-the-scenes if it makes sense. i.e. Neighbors, co-workers, classmates, etc. I don't need a first meeting thread for every relationship. In fact, I prefer to jump in at the "basically friendly" stage a lot of the time. When it comes to friendships, at least.

I am comfortable exploring most kinds of plots and triggers. However, I prefer to explore these with a roleplayer I am comfortable with and have already threaded with in the past. Details should be discussed ahead of time and if approaching mature themes, the other player has to be 18+.

I generally float around 300 - 600, depending on what I'm replying to. But otherwise, I'm not too picky. Quality over quantity though. I don't need things to be needlessly fluffed up. I believe in writing however much needs to be written to give your partner something to work off of. Post length matching is not a requirement.

I liiiiiike to think I can reply once a week, and that's usually what I manage when I'm on top of things. When I'm in a slump, however, it can be a lot rarer. I try not to let posts wait for more than 3 weeks though.

Several months if it's a plot-important thread (though I also prefer those to move the quickest with daily posts if possible). If it's just a random thread that isn't important to an overarching plotline, I usually lose interest if I've waited for over a month.

Yes, in moderation, and only for plot-important stuff. I'll rapid-fire for a day at a time. But then I'd start to feel bad, so I'll go back to my other posts for a day or two.

I enjoy group threads, but I prefer them to have short posts and to move quickly with a post every couple of days. And people need to be proactive and skip anyone who is lagging behind.

I actually do not mind minor godmoding/powerplaying as long as you are not controlling my character's dialogue/thoughts/emotions. However, if putting a character into a headlock or throwing them telekinetically across the room makes sense and my character would realistically have no way of resisting, by all means, go for it! You don't need to ask me and I do like some spontaneity in that regard.

i.e. If my character has zero martial combat capabilities, feel free to wrench their arms behind their back. He can't do a thing anyway. However, if my character is an epic martial artist, limit your post to attempting to and let me choose the end result.

If it's a combat thread, again, if my character is not good at combat, I'm okay with you assuming my character gets some minor injuries (cuts, bruises, scrapes, etc.). But anything greater than that (broken bones, severing limbs, gashes), leave it at the attempt and I'll do the rest. Unless, of course, we discuss it ahead of time.

Also, if minor godmoding helps to further the plot, also, by all means, go for it! Assume my character is following yours to a new area if they were already walking around together. Or drag my character off somewhere if that's where the thread was already headed. I hate things like "He looked back to see if Tape was following," when we've already established in the thread that they're on a date/outing/whatever. I think it just stalls the thread and goes nowhere. Just jump to the next location/scene.

How do you feel about post-splicing? (i.e. Someone replying to each piece of dialogue in your post separately)
    Minor post-splicing can be awesome. I do this myself and I interject thoughts or minor dialogue that don't interrupt the flow of the scene or conversation. However, if post-splicing turns into our characters holding 3 conversations at a time, I would prefer to end the thread or may end up ignoring most of the post and just replying to one statement to get things back on track.

Also, please do not separate dialogue to be answered separately that I had no intention of being spoken separately. Even if I have dialogue broken apart by thoughts or facial expressions between them, that does not mean that there were several minutes in the middle for your character to respond. I'll have context clues in the text that shows that the dialogue was all spoken together/one train of thought. Things like... "he tacked on, he rushed on, he hurried on, etc."

I really, really love spontaneous plots. But honestly, I've never had them go anywhere. My best formula seems to be a loose framework and then spontaneity and surprises in the middle as we work our way from point A to point B. I don't like to plan out every little step of a thread/plot/scene in advance.

Anything else?
    Nope!

#2 Rani, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
    FashionistState, Dani and Ithaia like this.
  3. Loren

Loren Player

I'm not a terribly creative sort of person so I tend to like it when people bring plots to me. /horrible rper. BUT I do love angsty sorts of plots/threads, if it hurts, I love it – I also love threads with character development. I do love fluff but not as often as the darker plots.

I hate meet and greets. Mostly those threads end up stalling and if there's not really anything more than x meets y then I tend to lose motivation to respond to them.

I don’t do many combat/injury threads but in that situation it’s probably best to talk it out beforehand, just to know where it’s going. I didn’t even know that replying with stats and all that was a thing so definitely just regular posting. Also I’d prefer not to have my characters severely injured unless it’s part of larger plot.

I’m a big fan of a sort of over-arching sort of development, not a ‘oh two threads later and they’re in love’. Friends are a little easier, I’m okay with doing time-lapses between threads and assuming my character’s had contact and interacted with another between those, and the same goes with enemies, but for any romantic sort of plots I definitely don’t like rushing into anything.

I don’t really have any triggers myself so I’m cool with anything (so long as it’s within Pandora’s rules) but if anyone has any triggers and they’re doing a thread that could go down that way, let me know! Or if a thread I’m in might be triggering, I’ll try to just put a warning on it. I know I’ve done it with at least one thread just so no one gets any nasty surprises.

I definitely match whoever I’m roleplaying with. Some people I can easily do 1000+ but most people I’m fine with anywhere from 300-700 words. Again it just depends who I’m posting with.

It depends. During the school year and depending on my class schedule I’m either posting all the time or, like this semester, getting to it when I can. I have a nasty habit of doing threads I’m super excited about first and forgetting about others so if I’m doing that to anyone, just give me a PM and I’ll get right on it, tim permitting.

Depends on the circumstances. After a month+ especially for more important threads, I start to lose my motivation, but really as long as I eventually get a reply I’m happy.

I’m not particularly good at rapid-fire but for a thread that needs to be yeah awesome.

Depends on who’s in the group. Sometimes it works and everyone posts in a relatively timely manner and sometimes it just stalls and goes nowhere.

Ask me first! (is it still godmoding then??) Chances are if your character wants to do something like move mine or something, that’s fine just so long as it’s reasonable. I get a little annoyed if there’s godmoding and it’s something I don’t think my character would do.

I think it’s a little hard to avoid and for the most part it doesn’t bother me but if it’s getting out of control it stresses me out.

Both! I mostly do pre-planned just because it’s easier?

Anything else?
    Nooope

FashionistState likes this.
  4. Ophelia

Ophelia the crazy hobo loser in the corner
    Lore Division

studying stuff
    Race:
    a human
    Posting here because why not, but I'll link this to my shipper. It's awesome!

What kind of plots/threads do you prefer? I'm not toooo picky! I agree to most plots anyway, unless my charries have too much stuff going on or something is repetitive or the plot doesn't fit for whatever reason but overall I'm pretty easy-going plotting wise.

I like dark related themes as well, however I'd definitely go for some more light-hearted plots too. I want to keep my characters as mentally stable as possible so I like to have variety and a balance between the angsty stuff and the happy stuff.

Also adventures! I do like some adventures, they intrigue me as a player.

What kind of plots/threads would you like to avoid?I don't avoid plots actually, unless its a repetitive theme or something. Otherwise I'm totally cool.

The 'casually meeting people in the street' theme fits Pino as a mattter of fact, but I might be relunctant to do it with Light because he might not be interested to talk to a stranger in the first place. But then again, since both of my charries are quite sociable it miiiight work. It depends!

I don't do fight scenes well, and I have no charries for them atm. But I'd say yes, if only to see my charries beaten up.

Oh! And I'm horrible at writing NPCs. All my NPCs are idiot losers who die, lol

How do you prefer to handle combat and injuries?I'm not good with that stuff, I'll write what is realistic for my character. If someone hits Pino chances are she won't be hurt anyway, being robot and all.

Light is a teenage human sooo yeah, in a fight there'd be bruises and blood and fainting. He's useless. So yeah, instant loser.

How do you prefer to handle relationship development (friends, enemies, romance, etc.)?Normally. If there's a romantic relationship or a friendship or enemies(i have all of them atm weee) I'll use headcanons inbetween threads because I can't thread every date and meeting, it'd get boring(provided that I've talked to the player about it and we have both agreed on establishing a relationship based on prior interactions) I usually like to have the first meeting thread, to see if there is something to work with. And how my characters react and think about their relationships depends on their personality. Pino might see someone and instantly think of him as a friend, its not unrealistic, its just how my charrie behaves(of course that doesn't mean that the other character must befriend her). And Light might ask a girl out the moment he sees her because in reality it means nothing to him.

Preferences on potentially triggering topics in roleplay?It's a thing that I prefer to discuss with the person I'm roleplaying with. I'm cool with most things though.

What are your post length preferences?Ugh. They vary. Light's posts tend to be big, 500-700, Pino's 300-400. I do believe in the mandra 'quality over quantity' but I tend to ramble with Light. It's a problem.

But I don't have any post length expectations from the other role player. Whatever post length makes them comfortable.

How often do you like to reply to threads?I like to reply within a week. But my posts depend on my muse. Sometimes I see a reply, get excited and reply right away! But most of the times, I need my time. In general, I'm sorry but I'm not a fast poster. I try to be, but my life is pretty darn busy.

How long are you willing to wait for a reply?I don't mind waiting! Though if it takes toooooooo long my muse might start dying.

Would you like to rapid-fire threads?That's not an easy thing for me. English is not my first language, and my charries are much more smarter than I am so my posts require time. Rapidfire is very hard. I wouldn't mind trying it though I dont know how successful I'd be.

How do you feel about group threads?I'm not really used to them so I'm a little uncomfortable. But I like them in theory and I want to do more!

How do you feel about godmoding/powerplaying?If it's realistic, cool. Just make sure to check the apps to see what my charries can do. Don't assume a robot can get hurt easily.

And I'm generally cool with violence, but don't break my charries head's without asking permission!

How do you feel about post-splicing? (i.e. Someone replying to each piece of dialogue in your post separately)I don't mind!

Spontaneous or Pre-planned plots?I do pre-planned because that's how I think. Though I don't mind spontaneous, actually I'd be happy to do some spontaneous stuff! But my mind is not wired to think like that, so please if you have some ideas, lemme know since some of my favourite threads are a result of spontaneous ideas(that the other player suggested ;_; ).

Anything else? Nope! If you wanna rp with me, feel free to do so!

#4 Ophelia, Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  5. PoP

PoP Guest

I like really big, elaborate ones that have dramatic moments, shifts, and developments, preferably with sinister tones. It's one thing to do a thread, but it's way more interesting when there are layers added to it. Like when threads branch off or have follow-ups or continuations where more characters show up to play certain parts, regardless of whether or not they've formally met the other characters involved. Such situations help facilitate creativity among RPers. It helps people bounce ideas off one another, and that is necessary in keeping things fun and exciting. I also try to be realistic when including characters, because in certain public settings, it only MAKES sense to include them. If somebody works in a particular place where a thread is set, wouldn't it make sense for them to show up in said thread? Same thing goes for two supposedly inseparable characters. It's far easier just to include them both rather than make up excuses for one's absences. The more inclusive, the better.

The usual one-on-one random encounters. No offense, but it gets tedious and tiring. Someone bumps into someone, then says something mildly intriguing, and then they talk for a bit. See, to me, there's gotta be a way to make that more interesting. AND, the real world just doesn't work like that! You don't just meet ONE person at a time. People come into our lives in droves! That doesn't mean I won't do these threads. I just like to add a bit more to mine.

I'm fine with it as long as it's realistic. If an RPer is gonna agree to have a thread with me that implies some sort of altercation between certain characters, then at some point my character should be able to harm theirs. There's no threat if nobody is doing anything. But I also understand some of the unspoken restrictions as well as the wishes of my fellow RPers. That's why I always ask for permission.

I do like to take the time to develop those over a number of threads. It allows me to sort of sync up with the other RPer. But if necessary, and usually it is, I'm willing to do some general summarizing. But when it's established, look out. I will obsess over their relationships. I believe this is already a well-known fact about me.

Do you know me? Dude, I watch all kinds of awful and controversial films, even those verging on taboo and smut. As long as it's fairly realistic and consistent to the characters involved, and not something coming from a personally malicious place, bring it on.

I've grown! When I joined, I averaged around three or four paragraphs, but now, depending on the character, I can make more! Anyway, it all depends on my muse.

As often as I can. It kills me when I can't. There was a time when I used to reply right away, but alas, those days are gone.

Maybe a month or so. And then I might need to ask the person to please reply. I don't like seeing my threads die!

Why not? But honestly, these days I find myself being needlessly meticulous with my posts. I worry too much about what's included and what's not.

I crave them! I wish I had more! Honestly, I get a little jealous when I see ones coming along and I'm all left out. I prefer them to one-on-one threads. As I said above, things just don't happen like that in real life! A lot of times, people are in groups. Also, I don't care if they don't follow a posting order.

If it's reasonable and fits with the character and scenario, then it's fine. Tie mine up, smack them around, and show them no mercy! But when it's unwarranted, inappropriate, and is blatantly ruining what MY character is, I will fight back, and there will be blood.

If it gets too hard to tell what is being replied to, then I must ask them to clarify, but other than that, I don't mind it at all! It'd be tough to exchange dialog otherwise!

Both! But, I must stress, everyone has to be enthusiastic about it!

Anything else?

Let's send a gallows into the scene which you hope for.

6. Perro

Perro Guest

I like weird-ass threads and plot threads. Weird threads are... yeah. Anything that isn't normal. If we can go sky-diving off of a dragon, play water polo... or any other out-of-the-box idea, I'm game for it. I like characters to feel uncomfortable... so that's often my goal with one-off threads.
    I also like dramatic/traumatic threads and action threads. I love killing, maiming, and wounding characters emotionally and physically. I love death/resurrection plots more than is healthy.
    In plots I like long, overarching plots culminating in some sort of drastic character change. I prefer plots to arc over two-three seasons.

I pretty much hate most introduction threads unless there's something going down. Sit, talk -- blah. Unless we've got a pre-established relationship, my character probably don't give a lick about yours. (Seriously, it's not you, it's them.)

Generally, I'm cool with anything being shot/stabbed at my characters, as long as I get to say where it hits and how much damage it does. So you can say "She aimed for the stomach" but if I say "he blocked it and it went into his hip and nicked off the bone" that's how it goes. And I'll do the same for you.
    If it something serious though or some sort of plot, I like to plan it out first. Not every detail, but the basic idea... who wins, by how much, etc.

I ship everything that moves with everything else that moves. Development though, I think need to be over multiple threads.

I have no triggers (except specifically Nazis with concentration camps treated in a light/joking manner). And that's it. Whatever other triggers, kinks, weird-ass-shit you're into won't bother me at all. I might not agree to roleplay it, but seriously, I'm hard to skeeve/trigger.
    Even that trigger.... doesn't trigger my characters, so it wouldn't be an issue if we needed it plot-wise in a thread.

I usually post between 200-600 words (sometimes I get long-winded. hush.) That said, I don't really care what your post size is as long as you're chill with mine and you give me something to work with.

I would like to reply to threads at least twice a month. That said, I am often the posting suck and get super bogged down/behind. Business is a serious problem in Perro's life.

I will generally wait indefinitely for a reply. That said, after about a month without a reply (and once we're in the next season) I can sometimes get bored.

Would you like to rapid-fire/blitz threads?
    OH GOD. IT IS MY LOVE. I'm pretty easy to get to rapid-fire. Catch me in the cbox, or PM me a time you'd like to rapid fire, and I'm game unless I'm prescheduled/busy. I post wicked-fast (10-20 min), so if you catch me for blitz-posting, we can probably finish a thread in a night.
    I adore doing this for plot-related and/or time sensitive threads.

I prefer one-on-one threads, but I'm fine with group threads if there is a purpose to them.

Don't. Don't do it anywhere near me. I won't do it anywhere near you. (I have powerful characters, not going to lie, but I keep them in check. Keep yours that way too.) godmoding just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. elch.

Uuuuuuh. I don't really have opinions on this. I think I generally err towards not doing it, and enjoy when people don't do it more, but I really don't know. I didn't even realize this was a thing until Rani posted this survey... and explained it to me. O_O;
    If I like your writing and your character, I'll like your posts. That's that.

Simultaneous. I like pre-planned frames with detailed spontaneity. I love reading something I never expected in a plot; and more than that, I love writing something I didn't expect. Characters are real in this world, if you plan it out too much (at least for me) they end up flat and don't work. ^^
    So yeah, totally not helpful!

Anything else?
    Uuuuuh. Can I put a blatant plug? I love roleplaying with new people, so hit me up for plotting. =)

7. Genie

Genie I dream of...

What kind of plots/threads do you prefer?/What kind of plots/threads would you like to avoid?
    I like RIDICULOUS threads and I love horrible threads (angst, drama, feels). I'm fond of zany humor, and threads that just seem like they jumped out of the panels of a comic rather than the slow, coffee-shop type threads. Unless the characters have something heart-to-heart to talk about, of course.

I'm always quick to have my characters' take a hit. But as for who is stronger? Should be decided beforehand.

Organically, but sometimes you just know.

What are your post length preferences? /How often do you like to reply to threads?

Short, sweet, and quick! I used to do pages upon pages of replies, but now I keep it at under 3 paragraphs, but prefer 1-2 at best (the shorter, the faster, the better!). I like to reply 2-3 times a day. That's my goal. If I can tackle 3 replies, then I can keep all my threads active. I don't mind threading with roleplayers who write more at all! So long as we can respect each other's post-style and know that its the quality of the writing- action and dialog- over exposition that really matters. Some characters are really observant though, so that's important!

I prefer for my partners to be comfortable and everyone just do their thing and write!

I get sad when it takes longer than 1-2 weeks, but! If my partner keeps me informed of their situation, I'm very understanding. Life happens, and I just don't like to feel like I'm set to the sidelines or forgotten is all. I only inquire about an inactive thread after 2 weeks, 3-5 days if its a group thread.

YES! I will literally set aside my schedule for a few hours to hammer through these! Let's do it!

THEY'RE MY FAVORITE. Everyone just has to make that commitment and they are wonderful.

Can get confusing, but also can be good! I'm neutral. Sometimes I'll skip a part and focus on the latter dialog after a while to move the thread along. It's not a big deal.

Both. Both is good. I love plotting a general idea, but I like the happenings to just... happen. Like we both agree they're going to get trapped in a dungeon and steal some treasure, but how it happens we just don't know!

Anything else?

Getting stuck in a thread totally just happens. I'd rather stop, talk about it, re-plot, rather than let a thread go dry and die. Sometimes we just have to headcanon on through, and that's fine too! RP should be stress-free. Fretting about anything- whether its post-matching, pacing, muse, etc- is just not worth it. Any issues, talking with your partner is always best!

8. Doodle

Doodle The Dreamer of Impossible Dreams

Tracker
    Race:
    Grounder
    Directory:
    link

Any and all kinds of plots/threads in truth! I'm also alright with M rated threads or plots if things go that way. :)

Combat threads really, I can do them at a push, but I'm not all that good with them. I've always been a lover not a fighter. Also I don't get that much fun from combat threads. Chasing threads, and my characters getting injured I am okay and up for. But, like, punching, kicking, gunfights etc. I'm not all that into.

Injuries make things more realistic so I am okay with my charries getting injured. As for combat, if it is unavoidable, then I don't mind a turn by turn format. I.E one person attacks, the other responses to attack, and then either attacks or defends themselves.

Friends, enemies and romance I like them all! Enemies are interesting to have, and I don't mind a bit of romance from time to time. As long as the romance makes sense then I'm cool with it. No offense to those that do these kind of ships. But, when you have like Sherlock and John getting freak. Yeah, I'm not into like far flung romances myself. But I understand and respect those that do that kind of thing. :)

I'm up for it and don't mind at all. :)

Any post length is cool with me, I average about 500, and on a bad day about 300 words in my posts.

As often as possible. But, if I get busy like I am now, it might take a few days/ a week even, before I can get to replies.

Any time frame to be honest. :)

At times I do like to rapid fire, but only when my muse for a character is like really high and strong.

I'm cool with group threads, although, sometimes I can be rather shy with interaction and everything. It comes with being burnt a few times in the past, long stories :p

I don't use this term lightly, but I will say that I hate godmoding/powerplay with a vengeance. I have had it done to me before, too many times, and if it ever happens now I walk away from the thread entirely.

I sometimes do this myself, especially if its a long thread. So I'm cool with anyone else doing it as well.

Both are fine with me.

Anything else?

Nope only that I'm happy to be here and look forward to roleplaying with everyone and anyone! :D

9. Keira

Keira Player

Alignment:
    Chaotic Evil
    I like threads that have a goal, or at least a point. My favourite types of threads tend to be dramatic. As anyone who remembers me from my far more active time here will know, I have absolutely no qualms when it comes to making my characters miserable, or using them to make others miserable (when it's IC, obviously!). Dramatic threads that have far reaching consequences with fear, angst, etc are by far my favourite, because they allow for so much development. That being sad, I do also enjoy light-hearted threads and plots as well.

As with most people, it seems, I'm not that much of a fan of meet-and-greet threads. They don't tend to go anywhere, and will often get to a point where they just drag on and neither party really wants to be the first to suggest that it ends. However, I've always been a sucker for threads and find it very hard to say no so I'll pretty much just go along with any idea that gets mentioned even though I should really express some self-control and cut back on the meet-and-greets. If you think our characters will genuinely develop something interesting then I'll be happy to go for it, but most of the time, they just drag on and go nowhere.

Bring them on! Honestly, and I'm being totally serious here, I am fine with pretty much anything combat-wise as long as it doesn't result in death for any character unless, you know, that's part of the plan. I have always found combat threads entertaining, and challenging, and there is always a lead to some kind of character development, whether it's positive or negative. Obviously, if your character is going to do something particularly painful/nasty to mine, I would prefer a PM or a chat over AIM or something just to clarify it, and I will always do the same when it's the other way around. Sure, it takes away some of the surprise of reading replies, but prevents any accusation that someone's gone a bit too far.

I prefer to handle relationship development through a series of threads. I do know, however, that sometimes that isn't really possible either due to time constraints or one or more person having far too many threads to commit to multiples with one character. If it isn't really possible to go through multiple threads to development a relationship, then I like to sample the characters in the ICC. While the ICC isn't canon, it allows you to RP characters together and just see how they mesh, which can sometimes give a good idea of whether or not a certain relationship can work which then allows jumping into a thread where a relationship has progressed without the development beforehand. Obviously, I prefer to develop things through chains of threads as it's far more enjoyable and realistic, but if I really think one of my characters can have an interesting relationship with another, then I can work around it if multiple threads won't work. Oh, yeah, and I love relationships between my characters and others, regardless of whether it's friendship, hatred, or romantic. I can get a bit enthusiastic with relationships as I always connect with my characters. It's always important to me to have my characters have realistic relationships.

I'm not entirely certain what this means, haha, but having read other people's replies, I think I have an idea. I have no issues with any triggers. I have written or been in threads where other people have written some pretty brutal stuff, so I have developed a thick skin when it comes to writing. As PoP mentioned above, as long as nothing comes from a personally nasty place, then I am fine with everything.

I don't really have any, I don't think. As other people have mentioned, quality over quantity, always. There's no point in writing a really long post if it has nothing in it that can advance the thread. Okay, I don't really like posts that are less than 100 words, because then it just feels like no effort is going into it, but other than that, as long as it advances the thread, I don't care.

I like to reply once a week at least. Sometimes that doesn't work out though. I used to be an extremely active poster on here and reply to almost every thread within 2 days, but my activeness has slipped over the past year. I am slowly aiming to go back to something closer to my previous level of activeness and reply to threads within a few days.

I will happily wait about two weeks without saying anything. Once the time starts getting closer to three weeks, then I'll probably send you a polite message just reminding you of the thread in case you forgot (I have forgotten plenty so I never blame anyone for not replying quickly). Once it's been over a month, then I will presume the thread is dead unless I get a message back saying something like 'sorry, I'll get to it within [insert timeframe here]".

I used to love rapid-firing threads and it's something I would like to do again, but in order for me to do so I have to have caught up with my other threads first so that I don't end up neglecting a thread with someone else to rapid-fire with another person. Of course, if a thread is very important to a plot, or I have a tonne of muse regarding the thread or the relationship between the characters in person, then I'll be happy to rapid-fire. No use wasting muse, after all.

It depends, really. On one hand, they're fun, and can lead to multiple relationship developments and stuff. On the other hand, they can become complicated, or can lead to posts that just end up far too long. I think if group threads have a purpose or a goal, then I will always be happy to do them. Random ones that are just basically multiple meet-and-greets in one aren't my cup of tea. I mean, okay, I had one ages ago that turned into a massive plot and awesome relationships between the three characters that was entirely unexpected, but that's so rare that I don't really expect it.

As long as it's small, and not controlling my character (unless I've given you prior permission, of course), then I don't mind. I know that in combat especially, it can be hard to write a post with absolutely no godmoding in it at all, so I do turn a blind eye as long as my character isn't being outright controlled. If you talk to me beforehand about controlling my character in upcoming posts, then I usually give my permission as long as it's IC, but permission is needed.

I'm not sure, really. I think if it's done far too much, then it does nothing to help the thread progress and does just lead to stagnation as multiple conversations go around in circles. I have a feeling that I've done this in the past without knowing what it was I was doing though.

If they work, I love spontaneous plots. Good ones are pretty rare, so I cherish them when I actually find them. Pre-planned is great, too, of course. All in all, any kind of actual plot is a lot better than having a character who has nothing but random meet-and-greets with other characters, none of which develop into anything. That's always a fear of mine, so I will basically go for any plot that gets suggested as long as it fits with my character.

Anything else?
    I don't think so!

#9 Keira, Feb 2, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    Dharke likes this.
  10. Steel

Steel as horizons end, ever to descend
    Lore Division

The Wolf King
    Race:
    Mistborn
    Alignment:
    True Neutral
    LAST UPDATED: 04/12/2016

Plots that are all about character development and relationships between characters. Dark/angsty plots that force your character into situations they'd never find themselves in normally, fluffy/domestic threads where you explore how characters spend time with each other, etc. Anything and everything that will give us more insight into a character's psyche. Also, no matter what sort of plot I get my characters involved in, I always want it to be realistic -- even if it's humorous -- and impact my character in some way.

I don't mind meet-and-greet threads as long as something comes out of them. If you can give me decent idea I can take advantage of -- something that might give us something that could work out long-term -- I'll be more inclined to thread with you. If you just come to me and tell me you want our characters to meet without giving me any concrete ideas to play around with, I'll probably decline. I'm generally more interested in meet-and-greet threads if there is a prospect for our characters to cross paths again in the future.

The way I usually roleplay fights is to say what my character is attempting to do (e.g., Perrin swung his fist, aiming for Castiel's chin.) and then leave it up to the other player whether my blow lands or not. Alternatively, if a sudden idea strikes me, I ask the other player if they wouldn't mind if I did X, and if they don't, I go ahead and do it.

Generally, if it's a plot-heavy thread and we've already discussed the (possible) outcome beforehand, I find there's usually more leeway. I've also found that most of my best ideas when writing such posts come to me when I'm actually writing a reply. So I'll usually ask if you're okay with me doing something more badass than the average punch. Or, if you're not around while I'm writing the post, I'll ask if it's okay/if you want edits in a PM or at the bottom of my post. Or, you know, I'll just go for it if you've given me free rein to do whatever, hahaha.

As far as injuries are concerned, I won't do anything permanent to your character unless you've told me to and it's part of why they're fighting. Likewise, I'll let you know just how far you can go with maiming my own character, but don't attempt to do something permanent without asking me first.

I love developing such relationships over time. It's my jam, to be honest!

Of course, I've learned through trial and error that it doesn't always work out. Sometimes, it takes forever to finish threads like that, sighs. In those cases, I am sometimes open to headcanoning how our characters treat/act around each other to fill in the gaps between threads, but I do prefer threading things out. Especially if our characters are supposed to be, say, very good friends and see each other frequently.

As far as romance is concerned, while I like lots of development for it, I handle romance in whatever way is IC for my characters.

I have certain squicks I don't know are squicks unless I stumble upon them -- I'll let you know, if that's the case -- but generally I am a pretty chill person. Like, I've got a bit of a squick with permanent limb dismemberment and/or disfigurement of player characters that can't be repaired/replaced, but I allow some leeway for it if it suits the plot. Other things, though...

Things that really bother me involve cis mpreg, sexual situations between guardians/wards and sexual situations between de-aged characters. I won't ever roleplay any such things, ever. And then there's dubcon/noncon, which wig me the hell out because they're sensitive subjects that I'm in no way willing to roleplay unless there's a hell of a good reason to, but I highly doubt anybody's going to present me with a good enough reason to. I mean, I guess I'd only be willing to roleplay it out with partners I trust and have already been threading with for some time. But there's no way I'd be willing to roleplay romanticized dubcon/noncon. Just, no. Get it away from me.

Ahems, anyway. If something in a thread of mine has the potential to be triggering, such as gore or mind-screwy stuff, I add [M] for mature in my thread titles so people don't stumble on the thread unaware. If any of my posts contain triggering content and I have not added the appropriate triggers at the start of the thread, please let me know and I'll fix it ASAP.

I usually go for a minimum of 200-300 words because anything shorter than that feels off to me personally, but I don't mind how long the posts of my partners are as long as I can work with them! I definitely prefer a 200-word post that flows well and advances the thread over a 600-word post that waffles around. I don't ever want my roleplay partner to think they have to match my post lengths, especially when I ramble, but please make sure your post has substance and something I can actually work with, thanks!

Currently, I'm pretty on top of my threads. I aim to post back at least within a week's time. Sometimes, unfortunately, I do slack, and it can take up to a month or two until I get to a post. Usually, that's because something in real life has taken up my time for some reason or other.

I actually absolutely love rapidfiring, or just posting back one day and getting a reply the next day, because it keeps the muse fresh and the plot moving. So if you ever want to do that with me, just let me know and nine times our of ten I will be totally onboard!

My general rule of thumb is two months maximum. After a month or two I'll start to wonder if you forgot to reply or dropped our thread, and likely contact you if it hits two months.

I know a lot of people don't even mention dropping threads if it's been a long time since the last post, but I genuinely, honestly, find that really rude. I would prefer it if people told me they want to drop our thread instead of me waiting and wondering whether they'll ever reply, and keeping the thread on my active threads list to boot, only to find out later on if I check their directory that they've crossed our thread out. (Yes, this has happened to me before, and it upset me.) I always tell my roleplay partners if I want to drop a thread, so I expect the same courtesy to be extended to me.

While I generally overthink my posts, and it takes me a while and then some to write a post I'm happy with, I find rapidfiring to be a great way to keep the muse fresh, especially if it's combined with post-racing (which is writing a post the same time as one or more people, so you're all pretty much writing posts together, even if they are not for each other!) because it helps me write faster and more confidently.

Unfortunately, I also have a life outside of roleplay which means I can't always devote an entire day to posting back and forth with someone, so a great alternative is posting back and forth with someone daily, expecting at least 1-2 replies a day. It helps keep the muses fired up, the plot moving, and more chances of a thread actually finishing, which I am always up for because I hate dropping threads like you wouldn't believe.

Group threads are great when it comes to plots or important character relationships, but it's sad when a thread grinds to a halt because of slow posting. And it rubs me the wrong way when someone posts out of order (barring mission threads that require/encourage skipping) unless it makes more sense for someone else to speak up first/etc. Generally, I'm more comfortable in group threads of 3-4 characters maximum, but I'm open to more if the plot requires it.

No one likes a godmodder who'll suck all the fun out of an otherwise engaging thread. Like, what makes you so sure that my character will look at you with sympathy, or go along with what you say or do? You'll know what my character is doing if you read my post, not by making things up.

Unfortunately, I have some characters who tend to be a little on the godmoddy side (such as Perrin who can smell someone's emotions) but I always make it clear from the start what my character's abilities are before threading. I also usually ask for permission to do certain things, so that we're always on the same page and I don't do anything you don't like, unless we've already agreed on what the end goal is and you're okay with me doing whatever it is I'll do.

Despite that, I am always open to changing my posts if I accidentally godmodded without realizing it, so just let me know if there's something I do that you don't like!

It depends. If your character says or does something that isn't IC for my character to ignore, I'll have them react to that bit of dialogue, as it would be OOC if I did not. But if we wind up having two or three different conversations happening at the same time, it really throws me for a loop so I'd prefer it if we could avoid that altogether.

Spontaneous or pre-planned plots?

Both! If we come up with a spontaneous plot and it somehow ties back to other plotty stuff I have going on, even better! When we pre-plan something, though, I do like there being some freedom when we thread it out later, because we can oftentimes come up with a lot of ideas on the spot that can tie into it~

Anything else?

Sometimes I tend to be slow with PM/shipper replies, but that doesn't mean I'm ignoring you or not interested in plotting. It just means I'm trying to get caught up first. So never hesitate to poke me in the chatbox, or through PMs, or on Skype or AIM. I am notoriously forgetful and scatterbrained -- I'd forget my own head if it wasn't screwed on -- so helpful reminders/nudges are great!

Also, please remember that the first rule of roleplay is to have fun! Roleplay is a hobby, not a way of life, so if it winds up being way more stressful than it ought to be, never feel ashamed to drop characters or put roleplay on the backbuner and the like!

#10 Steel, Feb 2, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  11. Blix

Blix Twinkle twinkle, little bat.
    Graphics Mod

Creator Of Things
    Race:
    Goblin
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Evil
    Directory:
    link
    Development. Plot heavy. Oh man those are tasty. Developing my charries is my favourite thing in the world to do, I love putting them through things that challenge their expectations/beliefs/understandings and makes them stop and think and maybe even change as people. I just love that. Especially here in Pandora where there is so much to expand a character's horizons. As for what the plot itself I love everything from dark and scary to schmoopy and fluffy and everything inbetween, I love my characters leading their own plots and I equally love if my charrie just comes in as a second/sideline to someone elses because omg I read the threads and it's like yesss look at all this intertwiney development everyone's having it's like they're all real!!! So long as it has a purpose I like it, I'm very easily pleased.​

A bit like everyone else those random meet and go for coffee type threads. I don't mind random meet and greets if they're going to be used to further a friendship or something will develop from them but otherwise I just don't know what to write and I've been here in Pandora for so long I've kind of exhausted my reserves of coping with samey type threads. I just really like development type threads is all. Lets go somewhere and do an exciting thing instead because meet and greets whilst something insane is happening around the charries can be awesome! xDD​

I am all for causing my characters pain and injury. I also don't mind maiming them, sticking them in the hospital or vice-versa having my characters inflict damage/injury/kill another persons charrie. So long as OOC everyone is in agreement to any major game changing stuff ahead of time and everyone is happy to change up their posts if someone asks that something be changed I'm good with it all and I'm pretty happy to just roll with it and go with the flow.​

It's HAS to be developed over time for me for everything. Basically because I cannot decide how my character feels in the space of one thread usually. I don't like insta-love stuff (unless it's for something or someone's got a spell on them etc) but yeah, I need my characters to develop into it and kind of let the character decide how they feel about someone else. Relationship development between characters is just the best. Plus sometimes something that looks cute in theory just does not work out that way when you get to the threading part and I like to have the time and space for my charries to make their own choices on it be it friendship or love.​

Clowns are literally the only thing I won't deal with. Sorry anyone wanting to play Pennywise. Aside fromt hat though I personally don't have any triggers I've discovered yet, so as long as everything is handled respectfully, there are warnings where there need to be warnings etc then I'm pretty cool with everything. If it's something especially kind of...risky...then I would rather do that with an RPer I trusted and have known for a while than someone I just met. Partly because I'm the one who usually ends up writing the villain/horrible charrie doing the bad thing and I just need to make sure the person on the other end knows I'm not actually my character nor do I support what they've done or do in that circumstance. And it's kind of relaxing to be writing the intense stuff IC and OOC you're laughing about penguins or something. xD​

I personally tend to post upwards of 300 a post, so long as I've said what I think I need to say then I stop writing and I don't tend to word count if I'm honest. Likewise so long as I have something to respond to in a thread I really don't mind the length I get back at all. I do think one liners are best kept to rapid places like the ICC though. Basically give me something to respond to and I'm happy, you dont have to match me, sometimes I write more, sometimes less, depends on the thread!​

As often as I physically can! Sometimes this is within hours other times it can be a couple of weeks, it's totally dependent on what's going on in my life. I do feel massively guilty and horrible if it gets to over a week though. I really hate being longer than a week but sometimes I can't help it but I tend to have an absence up for when that starts happening to explain why I'm being a slow poke and sometimes I just totally blank and accidentally miss a thread total by accident.​

Depends on the kind of RP. I've waited months before elsewhere but with Pandora being such a rapidly changing place I think about a month is a fair time to give someone chance to reply before I'll assume it's dead and buried.​

I don't mind rapid-fire but sometimes I find that a bit too much pressure and actually just frighten myself off. I prefer the thing where you just prioritise a thread whenever you're on and pop up a reply before doing others style of 'rapid-fire'. I get stressed insanely easy so any kind of pressure like that to write an immediate response would terrify me and I'd hate to get half way through something important like that and then go 'OH GOD I HAVE TO GO SIT IN A DARK ROOM AND BE QUIET' and then fail.​

I love group threads I just suck at them. This is actually partly due to a health thing because ever since I got M.E. I found it really hard to focus on more than one thing at a time and some days I have a lot of difficulty processing information so I really love a one on one scenario where I only have to focus on what one other character is doing. I'm good with a group of three as well, myself included but when it gets upwards of that I start to struggle to know where to put my character and then I get stressed about if I'm stepping on everyone else's toes and...yeah. I love them they just don't love me back. xD​

Okay unless it has been fully pre-planned before and everyone knows what they're doing and what's going on, or it cannot be helped because one charrie is in such a state they can't do something for themselves, or the character has a canonical skill that could be considered one of those things, all of which are agreed BEFOREHAND, then there's no reason to do either. There's not really any excuse for not discussing with your RP partner and giving them leeway for their own character. I like some give and take on both sides not just one. Not SURPRISE I DID A THING, DEAL. Plz don't. Plz discuss. <3​

It's okay in moderation. It does start to feel like several different conversations are happening all at once and I tend to try and push the other person to move ahead and not just answer that and be done which can happen a lot in that style of response I've found. But in a way you sort of have to post-splice to do any kind of RP reply really. So long as it doesn't get stupid and the thread is progressing and not just cycling around those several simultaneous lines of dialogue it's good. TBH I don't mind them ignoring earlier dialogue, replying to the last bit and moving on. xD​

A bit of both mixed together for me. I like pre-planning something beforehand simply so both parties involved have an aim in mind but I do not need to plan out to the minute detail what will happen surrounding that aim. I like a mutual goal in mind but a spontaneous thread that gets to that goal when and however it wants to get there.​

Anything else?
    Umm. IDK. I guess only that if I haven't responded to you in a long time I'm not ignoring you I've either forgotten entirely or just not seen I owe a reply to that thread. Also if I don't reply in my shippers it's either because I'm not here, forgotten or I'm hanging on until I have some more space for more threads with that charrie. I swear I'm not ever ignoring anyone and will eventually get to you! I'm just not that person who dives in with billions of threads, I like to keep a regimented cap on my charries so I never feel overwhelmed or suffer muse death with them because as I said before I get stressed incredibly easily. So it's not that I don't want to thread with you it's just that for my own mental well being I've learned I sometimes have to say no even if I don't like to! =( I just thought I'd add that in because I have had to deny threads and stuff in the past and I just don't want people to think it's their fault or me just being a bitch, it's just me capping myself or I wouldn't be here at all. xD

I wrote so much...why do I always write so much!?​

#11 Blix, Feb 16, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    Sabine and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Crystal Peak

Crystal Peak Even in darkness, there is always light

Dreamer and Chef
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Plots. I like threads where there is a goal and a plot. I like all kinds of types of threads: funny, fluffy, serious, dark, angst and all that jazz. Obviously we all like them and want to torture our characters at some point, so why not? Mostly I like the darker themes that unnerve people or a mysterious plot or case happening—I love mystery and crime drama.

I also like having threads that will development and help my characters grow. Put them in situations that can challenge them, make them think things through and figure out the best course of action or even see how they react with something different like magic. I enjoy the threads being realistic and to have natural reactions from others, but for it to still be enjoyable for everyone threading.

I see everyone has said we avoid meet-and-greet threads. While they’re helpful for newcomers, it gets awkward after a while. If we could make it interesting and for the thread to have a goal, I’m okay with it; but if it’s just two people meeting without being able to do anything pass the initial confusion, I’ll likely decline doing threads like that. Although Tooth is likely to meet kids to get their teeth, so I guess that counts as a meet-and-greet.

Umm….not quite sure. I’m not really good at describing battle scenes, but I usually write what my character does and leave it up to the other RPer if my character’s attack strikes or not. I’m cool with dodging and stuff as long as we keep the battles realistic; like say someone hears something swipe right by him at the last minute, then a cut or a graze will happen—you’re not gonna manage to dodge everything, since I won’t have that for my character.

If we’ve discussed a possible outcome and/or it’s a heavily plotted thread, then I guess we can work things out on how the fight will go.

I really like threads where relationships develop over time! Of course, some could take a long while to complete but if we’ve talked about how our characters would talk with each other, I think the thread would go smoothly and if we both agree, we can say our characters hang out IC.

I’m good with friends, enemies, allies. Though with romance, the subject’s a bit fuzzy. Half of my characters don’t care, the others could start a relationship, but it’s gonna be hard, since they all have their…issues. xD

Personally, I don’t think I have triggers? I might get freaked out with a couple of things if I actually read or fall upon something that makes me cringe. I really don’t like things like dismemberment or permanent damage, dubcon or rape to happen at any character.

If there a thread is gory or has a lot of mind-screws, we could M-rate to warn people with viewer discretion (as I do with some of Will’s cases). Though I like delving into darker themes to see how my characters would react, a warning with tags of triggers would be nice.

It depends really. I usually post from 200-300 words, though when I feel really inspired I can write a lot of words. I try to put something in my posts—meaning so that the other RPer can work with and I’d like the same so I can work on a reply. I know that I don’t write the best, that I repeat words, typos and that my grammar sucks sometimes (brain sometimes go to Greek expressions and sentence structures cause of habit), but I try.

I’d love to reply as often as I can, but real life and inspiration don’t come most of the times. I mostly take a week or maybe more. I dunno if I might take a month, though that might happen during the summer since I work. I also keep track of who I should reply on my tracker to keep it neat and tidy! :3

I’m willing to wait as long as necessary, though after a month or two, I’ll likely ask if my RP partner wants to continue the thread or not—after a while, the muse and excitement tend to fade away.

I wouldn’t mind, though it depends again. If we’re both free, have time and inspiration is coming in waves, why not? It could help, but sometimes I worry if the reply is good or not and feel that a ton of bricks have fallen down on me. But I'm cool with posting day by day posts! :D

I enjoy group threads since they’re interesting. I’m not a big fan when someone posts out of order, unless they’re absent and busy. Otherwise, I’m cool with them!

It depends. Okay, in combat situations it’s bound to happen and it’s sometimes needed but to a certain point. I don’t like it when someone would take out all the fun in a thread because of this, by assuming one of my characters would agree with them or drop a bombshell on me and expect everything to be okay. You’d have to talk with me first or read my reply.

If I need to do any of these, I’ll ask for permission and I expect that the same would be done for me; you’d ask me before doing anything. If we’ve already talked and we’ve said that we’re fine with what we’ve agreed on, then I don’t mind. If any of us have a problem with it, then we respect the other’s wishes. Examples would be Mozenrath since he tortures people and will likely do nasty things if you’re okay with them and Will, since he gets into a criminals’ mind on how a crime was committed and whatnot.

I’m okay with it to a certain degree. I know I do it and others do it too, but if it drags on too much, the thread will get confusing and awkward and there goes all the fun, right out of the window.

I’m cool with both! I usually like pre-planned plots, where we have a basic idea on what to do, but I like how spontaneous plotting can go and how much fun it can be!

Anything else?
    Sometimes, I might forget something, like who is meant to start a thread and whatnot. If that happens, send me a PM and we can hash it out, though I might not have time to make them? It really depends on my work schedule. xD

One more thing! I'd like to say that if someone ever decides to bring a canonmmate, I'll love and adore you and we will have awesome threads together! But I'd prefer it if you came to me and said you might not, you don't have muse etc, then giving me false hope. Or bring a canonmmate, we start plotting but then they get dropped. It's really sad and really messes up plans with characters, especially when they're dropped while we had plot ideas going. :(

#12 Crystal Peak, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  13. Librus

Librus Player

What kind of plots/threads do you prefer? Anything. I'm a person that enjoys plotting and accepts both the good with the bad. Hell, without the bad things just get tiresome and boring. I also don't mind doing meet and greets as long as there is some substance behind it and I love any and all types of development.

What kind of plots/threads would you like to avoid? Umm... I don't have anything particular in mind when it comes to this. I generally listen to the plot idea and decide from there. But I usually don't have anything I really avoid except for perhaps death when I'm not ready for my character to die. Other than that I'm pretty chill with anything as long as both parties approve of the idea.

How do you prefer to handle combat and injuries? When it comes to stuff like slapping, punching, kicking, shoving and stuff like that I'm pretty alright with you just up and doing it if it makes sense for the scene. However, full on fights and those injuries should be discussed before. It's just a thing with me. It doesn't need to be fully plotted out or anything. But at least discuss some of the details and make sure everything makes sense.

How do you prefer to handle relationship development (friends, enemies, romance, etc.)? I certainly don't mind plotting them ahead of time but I prefer to let things develop in their own time as well. I don't like rushing relationship plots but I know sometimes it's necessary for the sake of whatever plot is being had. If things don't work out with said character the way we want to plot them I'm also alright with switching the relationship up instead of trying to force a development that doesn't want to happen. In fact, I prefer to do this if something like this pops up. No point in stressing both of us out aiming for something that isn't working.

Preferences on potentially triggering topics in roleplay? If it's canon and it makes senses, bring it. I honestly enjoy playing with trigger topics because it enters a territory that I don't get to play in much. Yes, I know this might make me sound a little crazy but I really like to stretch my imagination and see how far I can go with things. Triggers are just another part of life and as a writer I see it as creative opportunity rather than something to avoid.

What are your post length preferences? I don't have one as long as it's not a one-liner. I need a little substance to work with. I also don't mind long posts. In fact, I seem to be the uncontrollable king of long posts. Which is something I'm working on. Sorry everyone! I'll try to make shorter posts as soon as I can get my muse under control >.<

How often do you like to reply to threads? I like to reply to threads as soon as I can. In fact, I would prefer to reply to them as soon as they pop up as replied or posted. This, however, doesn't seem to happen often. It really depends on what's going on with my muse and in rl when it comes to this but I try to get on things as soon as I can. I get horrible guilt when I make people wait to long too so I try to avoid it. It just doesn't work in my favor sometimes though.

How long are you willing to wait for a reply? Because of the occasional fickleness of my muse I feel like I have no right to put a time limit on other people. I could be waiting until dooms day and I wouldn't make a sound of complaint on the matter.

Would you like to rapid-fire threads? I... Have never in my life done a rapid fire thread. I think my fastest threads have been a few posts each day. I wouldn't mind trying it though after both of our first posts are up. I admit that I occasionally have issues reply to starters and starting threads and that's usually what puts potential rapid fire threads on hold. But yeah. I don't see a problem with them and I wouldn't mind trying to be in one someday.

How do you feel about group threads? Group threads are just fine too. I consider them being just like any other thread and I enjoy them just as much. They are just threads with more people. Yes, it can make it a little slower at moving along but that doesn't bother me at all. I also seem to post faster in these thread too.

How do you feel about godmoding/powerplaying? This should never be done without permission. Simple as that.

How do you feel about post-splicing? (i.e. Someone replying to each piece of dialogue in your post separately) I uh... I... I am a sorry loser and I do this all the time. It's another thing I'm working on because I'm sure it drives the people I roleplay with crazy. I'm sorry you guys! Dx

Spontaneous or Pre-planned plots? Either can be a lot of fun and a lot of interesting development can come from both. I don't really have a preference when it comes to this.

Anything else? I occasionally forget my shipper or ignore it when I'm trying to catch up with my posts. If you have a plot that needs to be brought to my attention straight away, please contact me via convo or ask me for one of my messengers. You're more likely to get a response faster that way. Also, if you've been waiting for a post to long you are free to bring it up. It will most-likely make the top of my list if I don't get on top of it right away.

Dharke likes this.
  14. theweasleyboys

theweasleyboys Silly Denizen of the Sewer Tunnels

Resident Snarker
    Race:
    Hummingbird
    Directory:
    link
    I thought I could make it without having to do this, buuuut seeing as how a few things are getting out of hand, now it looks as though I'll need to if I want to protect my characters from any and all slow-motion slaughter. Here goes nothing.

I'm generally up for almost anything, as long as it makes sense in the context of my characters' personalities and backstories. Character-based plots, please. Not plot-based characters, because then it verges on OOC behavior.

No rape, no murder, and definitely NO torture of my characters without my complete consent. Period.

Mostly, as long as there's some kind of expected outcome that's agreed to between everyone involved, I can then respond accordingly. Also, I'm sure to research the proper healing time for things like bullet wounds and broken limbs, unless there's a magical/Mutant healer around, of course.

If a character is seen by one of mine as a friend, then they'll tend to stay that way unless he/she gives my character a reason to hate them. The same goes for any and all characters that started off as enemies to one of mine--if my boy(s)/girl(s) don't like a character and they have a lot of good reasons not to, don't think they'll suddenly swoop in and rescue them from some kind of attack. They'll more likely be there watching the attack happen and hoping for the worst for their enemy, so...yeah.

Again, no murder, rape, torture of my characters unless I consent to it completely. Also, if one of my characters is already traumatized my something, PLEASE don't start some kind of vulture circle and plan to make them even more insane unless it's MY idea. That, to me, is a Muse-killer and a way to make me drop said character, because I'll end up feeling like I no longer control them.

I tend to make long, detailed posts at least two hundred words or more. If other folks could also do that, it would be great, because one-liners don't do much for me.

I'm trying to make sure I can answer at least once a week, if not every two weeks.

I think I'll be glad to hang on for about a month or so before I start sending pm's to the person/people involved, if only to make sure they still want to do the thread.

Yes, if me and the other player(s) involved have the time and the focus. ^^

I like to do them whenever I can. The trouble is, some people in them don't always make it through activity checks, so a lot of them get dropped.

I really, really do NOT like it, nor do I want it. Also, sending me a private message detailing what you plan to do to my character(s) and then not asking my permission until the end isn't all that fun, either. I would rather discussions like this be handled in my shipper, and I hope that everyone does so from now on.

I think if it's all one big reply that they do and not two/three replies total, it's fine with me. If not, it could get a little big reply-wise.

Most of the time, I do pre-planned things as long as they fit my characters. Sometimes there are open threads in their locations, though, so that's when I decide to get spontaneous and have them visit new people. :)

Special Notes:

Thought I'd finally bring this up because it's caused me stress in the past, sooo. If 3+ characters could be a group, and you'd be interested in putting your character and a second person's character together with one of mine, mmmaybe people in general could keep mine in the loop somehow and include me in threading/plotting fun stuff rather than...not saying a word to me over pm/chat/Discord but plotting the night away with someone else; not finishing any private threads with your character and mine while another character gets tons of replies from yours, etc. It just kinda bugs me when things go dead on my end and I have no clue as to why. So...let's either finish what we start, or not waste each other's time and cease to thread at all, mmkay??

#14 theweasleyboys, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: May 13, 2018
    Dharke likes this.
  15. Taylor

Taylor Guest

Moving this from my tracker because I wanted that to be uniformly Lorne.

Given my character I gravitate towards dramatic threads, probably centred around criminal activity. But I'm down for anything if the character dynamic is interesting.

I'm more likely to be selective with antagonistic plots (e.g. people to torture, vigilantes/law enforcement to spar with). That's because firstly, Lorne looks for specific things in his victims. And secondly, for adversaries on fairly even ground, Lorne can be vicious, but he's also a squishy human, and I wanna make sure he can survive the consequences of his own actions, lmfao. Near-death experiences are welcome but I don't want them to be so often they're unrealistic!

Don't kill my trashbaby; everything else is off-limits. If nothing else I'd prefer to hash out the eventual outcome (e.g. who wins or loses, or whether it's a truce).

Slow-burns are fun. But I'd be willing to cut to the chase and skip the meeting thread, if the meeting thread would literally have just been two characters talking about nothing.

I don't personally have any triggers. If you do, please tell me so I know! Lorne is hella abusive (physically and psychologically), so it's probably worth avoiding him if you're uncomfortable with that sort of thing.

I... don't think I have a minimum/maximum. Tbh I prefer keeping it short since time constraints are the worst. If my muse is being a jerk my posts might be shorter... or they might be shorter just because I want to keep a bit of ~mystery~ around Lorne. He's not very conducive to deep introspection.

You can expect a reply from me within a week, but sometimes it'll stretch to two during busy periods.

If the thread is awesome enough, forever. I don't like prodding people unless I'm 100% certain you haven't seen my post.

Hell yeah! Check out my post in Rapidfire Nation.

As long as there's a reasonable reply turnaround, I like 'em.

Don't do it. I mean, I don't mind subtle godmoding if it's plausible, like taking my character by the hand or smth. If we're talking more extreme things, like using powers on my character they can't possibly counter, please ask me first. I'm probably gonna be fine with it. I like making my trash's life hell.

As long as it doesn't happen too often (e.g. through the whole thread, thus resulting in two conversations happening at once), I don't mind. I'm guilty of it myself, tbh.

Pre-planned!

Anything else?
    nope.avi

#15 Taylor, Aug 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2016
  16. Yols

Yols Guest

I'm all about character development and character relationships. They do not always have to be romantic - in fact I find "bromances" considerably more interesting.

I try to stay away from random directionless encounters as much as possible - though if random encounters do happen (and of course they will), I try to figure out some direction for it, at least for my character's POV.

Combat scenes really are a weak point for me, so I like talking it out and plotting the winner of a fight first.

It needs to develop naturally. We can go into something with the idea of friendship, enemies, etc...but I won't force the character to like the other character without any reason behind it.

No preferences.

I don't care how long it is as long as I have something to work with. If I make an 1000 word post and you only give me 300 - TOTALLY FINE. If you have 1000 words, I can't guarantee that I can match it. Sometimes things just don't need to be said in thousands of words and I like to go with the flow. Again, as long as you've reacted to my post and then added something for me to reply to, it's all good.

I really really try to reply within a week's time. If I'm free of time, and have a lot of muse, I can post back and forth (though admittedly, that is rare)

3 weeks - after that point I just start to lose muse for it. If you take a month or something because you're busy, that's fine, but if it takes a month for every post - I wouldn't be able to reply.

I wouldn't be able to keep up.

Love them, as long as people reply in a timely fashion.

NEVER. Please ask me if you want to assume or state my character did something.

Eh I'm not crazy about it, though admittedly I do this once and a while to add detail to my character's reactions. But I really can't have threads where you're replying to something that happened Post 2 in Post 15, as that is often how those threads end up. Like if you're in a car in post 4, you move into a house in post 10. But in post 15 you're still continuing conversation you had in the car. Not my cup of tea.

Mmm a little bit of both.

17. Salty Archmage

Salty Archmage The Saltiest of Salty.

Captioning Agent
    My favorite types are character development. I enjoy exploring various aspects of my characters and any chance to do so in many different situations is good with me.

I'm not particularly fond of random encounters without some sort of goal. Meet & greets/random chatter type threads are okay once in a while, but they get repetitive to me.

I'm perfectly fine with my characters being injured provided it's discussed and agreed upon ahead of time. I'm not keen on any damage that will permanently affect them, though this can be discussed at the time of a thread being planned out. I'm not okay with my guys being killed.

I prefer to discuss combat ahead of time and agree on an outcome before we start the thread. It's easier that way, and there aren't disagreements as to the outcome once we start threading. I quite enjoy writing combat, so any threads of the sort are welcome.

I like it to develop naturally. I'm totally happy to discuss possible outcomes in my plotter and if we work things out there I'll do my best to keep on track for that. I can't always make promises though since sometimes the way an interaction goes in thread is different than what was planned. This goes for all relationship types, really. I also enjoy discussing how they'll interact and possibly do little interludes between big 'scenes' with them to develop whatever sort their relationship is further.

I'm not really easily triggered. About the only things I ask is that slurs are warned for and non-con plots are iffy for me. We'd have to seriously discuss the implications and what was going to happen. I also won't write the offenders in plots of that sort.

I should mention here that Hannibal is a manipulative and abusive individual who's done some pretty horrible things in the past. He is a serial killer and a cannibal on top of the manipulation and abuse, so those who are sensitive to such things should probably avoid threading with him. I can't promise he'll always behave and there may be things alluded to in his posts. I will trigger warn for things that I think need it as well as anything else I'm asked to warn for.

I tend to write until a post feels done so some of them can be short while others end up much longer. I would say they range between 200 and 800. I don't expect post matching and don't want it expected of me either. About the only thing I don't like are repeated one liners.

When I'm feeling good health-wise, they tend to be between 1-2 weeks between replies. If I am really feeling a character I can post multiple times in a week. The longest I will go between posts is a month. I make sure to respond to each thread I'm in at least 1-2 times a month, as that's my own personal requirement for myself - I don't like skipping over any threads when posting because I feel it's not fair to my partners.

Keep me in the loop with things and I'm happy to wait for as long as needed. If I don't know what's going on and we hit the 2 month mark I'll probably start to lose inspiration. I will also probably reach out to touch base and see if my partner is still interested.

I'm definitely happy to discuss rapid fire with partners, though I can't promise anything. Health + my graveyard schedule do tend to cause trouble with being on when others are, so it really depends on schedule and whether my migraines are going to allow for the focus needed.

I love group threads. They're a lot of fun and there's a lot of potential for development [both character and relationship wise]. I don't particularly like when posting order is ignored, but skipping someone who's absent to keep the thread moving is totally fine with me.

I'm not fond of it at all. I don't mind if people assume my character is following theirs or something small where it makes sense, but bigger things I'm not okay with. If we discuss it OOC first and I give the go-ahead, then it's totally fine - I just need to know what the situation is and what's going to happen first so I can decide if it's something I'm okay with.

Generally, so long as things aren't being assumed about my characters that I've not established [and aren't canon] I'm pretty good to work things out. I don't like people just guessing that Hannibal is a killer or things of that sort unless there's a very good reason why they'd pick up on it.

I don't mind minor post splicing. I do it myself sometimes, and so long as it doesn't get out of hand it doesn't bug me. Now, with that said, if we're to the point that some bit of action or change of location has happened and we're still carrying on a conversation from before the action/location swap I'm not going to be too thrilled because it gets hard for me to follow. So long as it's just a few bits of dialogue or w/e though, I'm fine with it. I tend to talk about several things/have several conversations at once with my friends IRL so it's not unheard of to me. xD;

I really really really prefer at least some pre-planning. A basic idea of what the goal is works for me, though sometimes it's nice to have a basic outline figured out for some more intensive or character developing plot lines.

With that said, I am game for some spontaneous threads where we just throw characters together to see what happens or have the very basic 'this happens, lets see what they do' sort of deal.

Anything else?
    I can be super shy at first when chatting, particularly through skype. I do love to chat though, once I get over that. I am somewhat slow due to chronic migraines that meds only semi-help with, but I will always post in our threads at least 1-2 times a month. I love to make friends with writing partners, but if that's not your cup of tea that's totally fine too. I don't mind plotting through PMs, on skype, or in my plotter so whatever you're most comfortable with is fine with me.

If you ever just want to chat about our characters, their interactions, headcanons you have, or the like I'm totally game for this!

My skype is listed in my profile for anyone who'd like to add me.

18. What kind of plots/threads do you prefer?
    The sort that further my character's interests.​

I dislike threads and plots that do not further a plot or character development in some way- coffee shop threads, in other words.

That is not to say that every thread has to be full of lots of explosions and adventure- sometimes the smallest, simplest moments have more character development than big scenes.​

While I will not warn a partner that a situation might become violent OOC, I will always leave the other player with the opportunity to react and avoid an attack and will never state that anything autohits. A simplified example:
    • Bob draws a gun.
    • Sally is surprised.
    • Bob aims the gun at Sally's head.
    • Sally begs Bob not to shoot her because she's dumb.
    • Bob pulls the trigger.
    • Sally's player decides her fate.
    But you see, Sally always has room to react and even when Bob pulls the trigger it's not specified that Sally is hit or killed. Sally's player gets to decide that. That's typically how I prefer to handle combat situations! However, there might be some instances where it's okay to say that you've autohit my character- but if that's the case, I'll let you know.

I don't shy away from my characters getting hurt, and typically expect that- in a fair fight- all characters involved are going to get beat up.​

I like to let things develop naturally. Friends, enemies, and romances are all of equal preference to me, but I don't like plotting things out and typically won't even tell you OOCly how many character really feels about yours. I let the character reveal that in their own time.​

I have none, however I don't like writing anything simply for the sake of writing it. If there's no point to the torture, then I'm not interested, etc., etc.​

I have none. Personally, I write as much as I feel is needed. That might be a lot or a little. What's important to me in your posts is that you are doing something to further the thread.​

Daily, if possible.​

I've waited three months before. I don't like waiting that long though, and if the thread is of significance to my character I will probably write my character out of the thread after a week of silence from my partner(s). I don't mind waiting longer, but I need to know that I'll be waiting.​

I love 'em!​

I also love 'em!​

I mean, in theory I don't like it. I think it's disrespectful. But other players have autohit my characters before (stabbing them in the chest with a sword, shooting them in the head) and have just rolled with it, even though I was not asked beforehand. There are times I've spoken up about it as well- it depends on what will have the biggest impact, really.

In general, it is fine to assume very simple things like my character following yours through a door or something like that.

I do not like it but do not complain. If I feel there's too much post-splicing going on then I will simply have my character reply to whatever dialogue they felt was most relevant.​

I like kind of a middle ground? I like threads to have a goal and purpose, but I don't like lining out every detail of the thread. It's good enough for me to say "In this thread, Bob wants to hunt down that wolf" and then wing it from there.​

Anything else?
    I read that question in Kylo Ren's voice.
    • I don't do introspection; I like to tell you how my character is feeling through dialogue and body language. However, it doesn't matter to me if you like writing introspection- it does me no harm!
    • In that vein, I also don't discuss much OOC what my character's thinking, feeling, or planning. I like to surprise you with what they end up doing, and enjoy being surprised as well.
    • I'm big on consequences in RP.
    • I don't mind starting threads one bit, but any thread I start is going to be considered open.

19. Octi

Octi The Helpful Octopus
    Community Relations Division

Music Teacher
    Race:
    Disney Fairy
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    -fills this out literally years later-

I enjoy plots and threads of all kinds! Give me fluff, give me dark stuff, give me silly stuff. As long as it's something that will further character and relationship developments.

I'm not really a huge fan of meet and greet threads that aren't gonna go anywhere. Also, threads that don't really have any substance. Your generic coffee shop thread scenarios, the classic bump and spill. I've admittedly done it before, but that's probably why it bores me so much.

I'm always up for my characters getting hurt and in any fair fight, I expect them to get bruised up! Just anything major, of course, like broken bones/maiming/etc, there needs to be some kind of OOC agreement. I'm absolutely willing to do that to some of my characters, but there needs to be a discussion first.

Development, development, development. I very rarely do instantaneous friendships or romance or anything if it wasn't canon to begin with. I might have an inkling that my character will like somebody else's, but I like to see naturally through threading how they interact.

I don't really have any triggers that I'm aware of, but I'll always take other peoples' triggers into consideration. If we delve into any subjects you are uncomfortable with, please tell me! I do enjoy exploring some darker themes, but the ones that are especially risky, I'll only do with partners I really trust.

I used to stress over my post length, but I've stopped caring these days. My average is around 400 words, but I can write really long posts or really short posts. It just all depends on how much I feel is necessary to get the point of the post across.

Ideally, I'd like to reply to everything right away, but I have too many characters and threads for that. I do try to get to everything within 1-2 weeks, though. I am super busy, especially around the holiday season because I'm a musician, so sometimes rehearsals and concerts bog me way down. If it's looking like it's going to be a long wait, I'll always contact my partners and let them know so that nobody is left in the dark!

Usually about a month, tops. At that point, I'll generally contact my partner and ask about it.
    If it's something that happens repeatedly, though, I'll just wrap up the thread. I'm really after threads that move and push forward development, and I don't enjoy having to wait a month or more between every post.

Honestly, though, I'm flexible as long as my partner communicates with me. Please communicate with me!!

I absolutely love rapidfiring threads! Just ask!

I like group threads, but I really suck at them. I'm usually good up to three characters, but anymore than that and I tend to really struggle with focus and start to feel really overwhelmed.

Just please don't! Not unless we've fully pre-planned something already.

I'm not going to lecture other people on it or anything like it, but it's totally a pet peeve of mine. I tend to try to combat it by not catering to it any further. So, for example, I might acknowledge that my character didn't have a chance to respond to the first thing your character said because they kept going (to address the rest of my dialogue) in order to keep things flowing more smoothly.

A little bit of both! That said, though, I've been doing a lot more pre-planned than spontaneous in recent years and I really, really miss feeling surprised rather than having everything planned to a T. In fact, I don't really enjoy things being that pre-planned and that set in stone. There needs to be wiggle room so that I can fit other things in and shift other things around if I need to.

Anything else?
    COMMUNICATION IS GREAT! Seriously, I can't express how important communication is to me. If you have an idea, tell me! If you can't post for whatever reason, tell me! If you want to drop a thread, tell me! I don't bite, but radio silence causes me some frustration and anxiety. I want to hear from my partners! <3

#19 Octi, Dec 3, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    Dharke likes this.
  20. Nic

Nic Coordinator
    Plots & Events Division Application Division

Small Child Wrangler
    Race:
    Coffee Addict
    Directory:
    link
    I like for there to be at least a general sense of direction for my threads, but that doesn't mean there has to be epic action/adventure going on. Sometimes the simplest of interactions can be very significant to character development. As long as the thread is somehow furthering my character's development, I'm down!

Random meet-and-greets/coffee-shop threads.

You will always see me use some form of the word 'attempt' if my character is making any kind of attack or overture towards yours. I'm open to planning things out OOC, just make sure you communicate with me! If you auto-hit my character without talking to me first, and I feel there's a feasible way for my character to avoid the attack, I'll just ignore the auto-hit and pretend you made it an attempt.

I like for things to develop naturally, though there's wiggle room if it was canon to begin with. Sometimes I might feel strongly that my character will get along with yours, and in those cases I'm okay with setting them up for friendship/romance if it seems likely to head in that direction.

Communicate! I'm willing to play just about anything out as long as it has bearing on the plot or on character development. I don't have any specific triggers, but that doesn't mean I never get uncomfortable. I will always communicate with my roleplay partners, and I hope for the same in return!

This isn't a big issue with me. As long as I have enough to work with, I'm good, whether that's one paragraph or several. Length doesn't mean much if your post is 5 paragraphs of introspection and one line of action/dialogue my character can actually respond to. That being said, I sometimes do a lot of introspection because it helps me get into my character's mindset. Just let me know if I don't give you enough to respond to!

I try really hard to reply every 3-5 days. Sometimes I get busy and it takes me longer to post, but I really hate making people wait.

I don't like making people wait, but I don't mind waiting myself. The only caveat to this is if it's a thread that's important to the plot or to my character's mindset. I try to let people know if I'm going to be taking an extra long time to reply, and I really appreciate it when my writing partners make the same effort to communicate.

Love them!!

I love them!

Please just don't do it. If we've discussed something ahead of time I don't consider it GM/PP, since we've come to an agreement. I try to be fair about the damage my character takes, and the attacks they deal out in return. If you ever feel like I need to change something just let me know!

If your character goes off on a monologue without giving my character a chance to respond, odds are in my post I'll just make a note that my character interrupted (if that seems necessary). If not, they'll just respond to what seems relevant/whatever the last thing was. You can always feel free to indicate that your character has interrupted mine. I try to go with the natural flow of conversation, I suppose.

I like a little bit of both! It's great to have a general sense of direction for a thread/storyline, but it's also a lot of fun to throw in surprises. I love being surprised by my roleplay partners! And I don't throw a fit if a plot I had planned gets derailed by something unexpected but realistic/feasible. So if you have an idea, don't hesitate to throw it at me whether IC or OOC!

Anything else?
    To me, roleplaying is about collaboration above all. I love to be able to further my characters' plots, but I also love to help other people with theirs. I do my best not to get upset over things that have happened IC. Your character is your character, and the only person qualified to play them is you. Yes, we are on a fandom site playing canon characters, but as long as YOU are playing the character, it's your version of them, not mine. I will never get upset with you just because a ship didn't work out the way I wanted it to, or if you suddenly feel that a plot won't work out, etc. It's when those things happen randomly/without any apparent reason that I get frustrated. Just keep me informed! I'll do the same for you.

I also love to have conversations with people outside of talking about plots, so if you ever want to chat feel free to drop me a PM or ask for my Skype!