HeaderBox1

Welcome
to Pandora

By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box. Only the box is a world of its own.

We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.

Spotlight

Story Hub Banner

Want to add a quote? Submit them here!

1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. It's Activity Check Time! July 1-7
    Click here to save your characters!
  3. This beautiful little ranch along with its famous Lon Lon milk are back! Just don't harass the Cuccos. Make sure to visit while it's still here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. A voice has begun narrating the inner thoughts of the citizens of Pandora! Read more about it here
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Pandora is searching for staff.
    Click here for more information!

Private Please don't kill me with your laser sword

Discussion in 'Oasis Jungle' started by James Kirk, Jan 21, 2018.

1. James Kirk

James Kirk Star Trek

Race:
    Human
    Directory:
    link

January 4th, Year 7
    @Rey

Today was his birthday, which was precisely why he wasn't at home but had, instead, spent the last several nights in the middle of the desert standing guard over an APE expedition. Bones had a habit of wanting to mark the occasion and Jim wasn't interested in marking it - though this year it didn't have quite the same bite as the last one had. The one that he'd missed, sort of, jumping from his universe to Pandora, where it had already been March. Or maybe that meant this was his thirtieth? Then again, did his age mean anything at all in this place?

He'd thought that being surrounded by strangers (and a few he knew in passing acquaintance) would make it easier, distract him from his own thoughts and force him to stay present in the moment. Watching out for bandits or sandworms or whatever else might come crawling out of the sand was supposed to help too, but the night had been mostly uneventful and, as a result, rather restless for Jim. All the things he was supposed to do, the things he was supposed to be, he couldn't help picking at them like old scabs, even though those roles held little to no meaning in Pandora.

All-in-all he'd been glad for the dawn, glad when those investigating a potential drop into the underground decided they were finished and ready to head back to Horizon. The desert itself had made him a little uneasy since his meeting with the living mummy, and he couldn't wait to return to any place that was less sand and more dirt. When they'd reached the well-worn path into Horizon proper he'd sent the rest of the party on ahead, laughing and joking as they teased him about needing to take a rest. The truth was that he wasn't quite ready to go home yet, to deal with Bones insisting on birthday wishes, and he wasn't all that keen on hanging out with a bunch of people he barely knew, either. The job was done.

When they were out of sight Jim turned and plunged into the jungle growth, letting himself get distracted by the effort required to forge a path without destroying the plants around him. The physical exertion felt good, and it was better than picking a fight, which was what he'd probably have done even just a handful of years ago. By the time he stumbled upon the little camp he was flushed and sweating, breathing like he'd been out for a run, and not at all prepared for the girl who seemed to appear out of nowhere, brandishing some kind of...sword? Except it was blue and glowing and tickled a memory at the back of his mind that he didn't have time to consider right now.

"Easy!" he panted, backpedaling a step or two and holding both hands up in the universal 'I'm unarmed' gesture. (Which, in fact, wasn't universal in his universe, but she looked human enough.) "I'm not here to cause trouble."

Rey likes this.
  2. Rey

Rey Star Wars

Race:
    Force-Sensitive human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    Rey was still new to Pandora. That hadn't stopped her from stumbling across the mouth of a small cave and setting up a make shift home there. She'd seen worse, and it at least allowed her shelter and somewhere to build a campfire. She had just been out trying to find some more water; the desert seemed to only yield a few water sources but she had fortunately located one. She was limited to carrying with one arm; her left was still in make shift bandages from when one of Snoke's guards had caught it. There had been no medical attention to seek, so she'd just got on with it. However, it was starting to hurt. It didn't disable her, but it made carrying things long term a bit difficult.

As she approached her camp with her bucket of water, she heard something like footsteps. Rey froze and, leaving her water behind a tree, she continued on, keeping low and keeping as quiet as she could do. It wasn't like this was the first time she'd been in a dangerous situation. The principle was always the same; keep out of sight and keep quiet until you knew what you were dealing with.

When she saw it was a man, and it looked to be a human man, approaching her camp, she felt something snap deep in her temper. He wasn't going to take her things, he wasn't going to ruin her only shelter. She clicked the lightsaber on and walked confidently into the thicket of the forest, brandishing the lightsaber which was now gently humming with every sharp movement she caused.

"Who are you?" She demanded, pointing her lightsaber at him directly, not listening to his pleas of innocence. "What do you want?"

3. James Kirk

James Kirk Star Trek

Race:
    Human
    Directory:
    link

Huh, well, maybe the universal gesture wasn't universal where she came from, either. Jim stood his ground now that there was some space between them, hands still up where she could see them, though he kept a wary eye on the weapon pointed at him. He was guessing getting hit with that would do more than tickle. "I'm Jim," he said, voice deliberately calm. "Jim Kirk. And I don't want anything from you except for you to maybe stop pointing that thing at me. I mean, I've got this fire lizard hanging around somewhere and if he thinks you're threatening me he's going to get all protective and it's really, who needs to deal with all that, right?"

He smiled winningly, trying not to wave his hands around too much while he talked in case she took it the wrong way, though in the same vein maybe telling her about Abe wasn't the best choice. The desert heat had been too much for the little dragon's taste and he'd teleported off to who knew where, but there was no telling when he'd decide to come back and Jim had no desire to see him turned into lizard-kabob by her sword thing. He still felt like he should recognize it, but it would probably be better to unravel that mystery after she'd put it away.

"You can trust me." He looked her in the eye as he said it, though he wasn't sure sincerity was going to be enough to get past that angry look she was leveling at him. (A mindset he knew pretty well, actually.) "I'm not going to hurt you."

4. Rey

Rey Star Wars

Race:
    Force-Sensitive human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    Rey had never really been the most trusting person ever, and even now she was struggling to decide what to do. He was trying his best to not look like a threat, but then he mentioned something called a fire lizard? She had looked like she might have been lowering her weapon, but that comment got her defences right back up again, "What's a fire lizard?" She demanded, looking from side to side and over her shoulder just to check he hadn't set anything on her.

Rey moved to the left of him, so she was a little closer but so she could also observe how armed he was. It wasn't like she had much to protect here aside from her life and her lightsaber; there wasn't much she owned, the clothes on her back aside. However, having only arrived in this world yesterday, she was still quite jumpy and suspicious of everything, "Who are you?" She asked, now not directing the lightsaber at him but pulled it off to the side ever so slightly so that the tension could be eased a little, but as he had now told her a fire lizard might be in the area, she wasn't taking any chances. She ignored his comments that he could be trusted, because that was for her to decide.

5. James Kirk

James Kirk Star Trek

Race:
    Human
    Directory:
    link

This was going about as well as his conversation with the Teenaxi, and though he tried to keep his calm and cheerful mask in place inwardly he caught himself huffing a little. What kind of place had she dropped in from, to be so suspicious? Actually he probably didn't want to know. "They're like…little dragons, about as big as a cat, maybe. Trust me, he's not that tough." In fact, Jim was pretty sure that after one ill-advised pass at her Abe would retreat to his favorite perch on his shoulder, but he'd still rather she put away her weapon.

It seemed they might be making progress on that front - she wasn't putting it away but she wasn't pointing it at him anymore. Not directly anyway. "Jim Kirk," he repeated, wondering how much she was actually listening to him. "Look, I'd be happy to tell you my whole life story if you want it but maybe we could do it without the weapon, huh?"

Rey likes this.
  6. Rey

Rey Star Wars

Race:
    Force-Sensitive human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    While Rey didn't know what a dragon was, she knew what a cat was so just assumed it was something similar. That wasn't that dangerous. Cats were quite small. Rey looked again, now focusing a little more to the ground, but she wasn't as concerned, knowing how small it was.

Visibly relaxing, Rey nodded. She was nervous and a little weary of this world and the people in it, but she didn't have to take that out on him. Now she was looking at him properly, and his behaviour, he didn't seem like that much of a threat. If he wanted to attack her, she was sure he probably would have already tried.

Rey deactivated her lightsaber and placed it back at her waist to hang there. If she needed to grab it again, it was within an easy reach. "Sorry, can't be too careful out here." She said, before scrunching her face up and managing an apologetic sort of smile as she stepped a little towards him, "I'm Rey. Nice to meet you." She offered him her hand, having seen others in the Resistance do just that when they introduced themselves to others.

7. James Kirk

James Kirk Star Trek

Race:
    Human
    Directory:
    link

Finally, finally the blade disappeared, seeming to retract back into the hilt in her hand though Jim suspected that was an illusion of sorts. The blade hadn't seemed solid in the way one would normally think of a sword blade, it was more like...like a phaser beam, extended and static. An odd weapon, one he wouldn't mind learning more about, but he doubted she'd be in a hurry to explain it given her seemingly suspicious nature. Still, he grinned at her when she put it away, letting his hands fall to his sides with relief. He really hadn't relished the thought of trying to fight her, she looked even younger than Chekov.

"I don't know, that was pretty careful." Definitely what Jim would term too careful, though the comment was made with humor rather than criticism. In Pandora it paid to keep an open mind, especially given the variety of environments people originated from. When she said her name, though, recognition hit him with a jolt, and Jim laughed as he knocked the heel of one hand against his head and took her's with the other to shake. "Rey! Of course, I can't believe I didn't remember that...sword thing of your's." Although in his defense he'd been in Pandora nearly a year now, and hadn't seen her since that first, mind-bending day.

But she hadn't recognized him either and the girl who'd helped him certainly hadn't been quite so aggressive. He frowned a little, searching her face for signs of recognition and found none. "How long have you been here?"

Rey likes this.
  8. Rey

Rey Star Wars

Race:
    Force-Sensitive human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    Okay, maybe it was a bit too careful, but she felt like it was justified. She scrunched up her features and shrugged a little towards him. "It's been a rough week." Rey justified as she took a step closer. It was possibly the understatement of the century, or at least this side of the galaxy. She'd been through enough this week to put her a little on edge, but she was glad to see she hadn't upset the man in front of her that much. He was still there, and this was still the first full conversation she'd had in a few days. Even her force bond had gone quiet since arriving here.

Her features changed a lot as he looked like he recognised her. Was he part of the Resistance? She hadn't really met anyone from it, but there wasn't really anywhere else she'd been recently with the lightsaber where anyone might recognise her. "You know me?" She said, now very much interested and hoping she hadn't just insulted one of Leia's men, especially given her present situation. Her hopes soured, maybe this was some kind of rescue. She couldn't imagine why they'd send someone who barely knew her but her hope was already running away with her. "I've been here a few days." She said, stepping a little closer to him, "What about you?" Wondering if he'd been here for the same amount of time.

9. James Kirk

James Kirk Star Trek

Race:
    Human
    Directory:
    link

He wondered how rough her week might have been to illicit a response like that, but it seemed counterproductive to ask, to prod at whatever wound she may be carrying around. Besides, her question made it clear that she'd been subject to Pandora's release-and-catch-again program, so whatever rapport they'd built before was null and void. No wonder she'd wanted to take his head off.

"I...kind of know you," he clarified, face scrunching up a little at the prospect of explaining Pandora and all it's strangeness. She said she'd been here a few days - had it all been spent out here alone? Or had she already had the 'welcome to a new dimension' talk? "I've been here almost a year, you were here when I got here, which I realize sounds crazy but it's just part of the charm of this place, I guess." His sarcasm was not subtle, but he'd gotten so used to Pandora that he was also resigned to dealing with the whims of whatever or whoever ran the place.

He'd forgotten how young she was, or maybe the world-weary attitude she'd had before had made her seem older than she actually was; either way Jim found himself wanting to ensure she knew everything she could possibly know, and maybe get a better place to live. How did he keep managing to find the kids who lived alone in the wild? "Have you talked to anyone since you got here? Learned what all this is about? It's not fun, but you should know what you've been pulled into."

Rey likes this.
  10. Rey

Rey Star Wars

Race:
    Force-Sensitive human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    The way the man spoke completely shot all her hopes that he might be with the Resistance, especially when he mentioned being here a year. She didn't really understand how she could have been here a year ago and here now; she had been on Jakku a year ago and didn't she know it well enough. Rey wondered if he was mad, briefly, but he seemed in control of his senses. Rey tilted her head a little in his direction, the sarcasm was obvious so she wasn't sure whether he was teasing her or not, so she let it lie for now, deciding she didn't want to be more confused than she already was at his comments.

Rey shrugged, trying to not look as lost as she felt, "I know it's called Pandora." She'd overheard someone else saying that, but otherwise she was completely in the dark about what lay here. Rey crossed her hands over her body. She didn't want to tell him she'd spent the time here trying to find a way to reach her friends, trying to find anyone who might be able to reach the Resistance; she hadn't found anyone or any method to communicate and she was getting quite weary with moving around and trying to survive by herself.

"I don't know anything else." She then said. She'd run into people when she'd first arrived here but they'd all soon scattered, under the gaze of someone who said they'd been trespassing on his land. It wasn't as though she had chosen to be there in the first place.

11. James Kirk

James Kirk Star Trek

Race:
    Human
    Directory:
    link

Her face gave the answer before her mouth did, and Jim felt a little pang of pity that he tried not to show, covering it up with a brisk clap of the hands. "Well, I guess it's only fair - you answered my questions when I got here, and now I get to return the favor. Shall we sit?" He was sure it would be a long conversation so they might as well be comfortable, which of course meant that Abe chose that moment to appear out of nothingness, looping over Jim's head and trumpeting out what Jim could only assume was supposed to be an intimidating warning based on the feelings he was getting through their bond.

Exasperated with the blue's poor timing, he held out a hand towards Rey, palm up, to hopefully keep her from pulling out her weapon again while he addressed the fire lizard. "Yes, okay, you're very intimidating but she's fine, she's nice. Come down here." He thought reassuring things at the creature, patting his shoulder until Abe reluctantly settled onto it, draping himself across Jim's neck and glaring at Rey from the safety of his perch.

Rolling his eyes even as he scratched the top of Abe's head affectionately, Jim made an apologetic face at Rey. "You did ask what a fire lizard was." He made a small ta-da motion with his other hand. "Sorry about the theatrics - he feels what I feel and vice versa which is sometimes a problem, but he'll be fine now."

Rey likes this.
  12. Rey

Rey Star Wars

Race:
    Force-Sensitive human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    Rey eyed him, still not really understanding what he meant by referring to her as being here before but she let it slide. She didn't feel like she had the patience for continued explanations like this. She moved slowly towards him, to sit near. Right, well he seemed friendly enough. Rey had seen enough in the past few weeks to be sure that she had a good sense of people and so she moved to sit down, looking a little more settled.

That was until the mentioned Fire Lizard came out of nowhere. Rey jumped backwards, hand going to her saber again though she didn't get around to igniting it as Jim had stopped her. Her chest heaved and she looked at the creature with apprehension but also wonder there too. She'd never seen anything like it before.

"You have a bond with a Fire Lizard?" She asked, though there wasn't any judgement there, she was just curious. She had a bond, forged recently with Ben Solo in their universe. She wondered if it was a similar thing, or whether it worked differently given it was a lizard, however, she had on occasion been able to feel what Ben had. That was another world though, it wasn't like he was just going to show up in Pandora. Rey finally moved to sit down next to Jim, though she watched the lizard curiously, hoping only to escape this conversation without any burns. "Okay, so what is this place? Where are we?" She asked, wrinkling her nose.

13. James Kirk

James Kirk Star Trek

Race:
    Human
    Directory:
    link

It was sometimes distracting, having to juggle both his own thoughts and feelings and also Abe's feelings, which at the moment still consisted of mistrust and an echo of the alarm Jim had initially felt when confronted with a glowing laser sword. After being reassured that Rey wasn't about to attack the fire lizard he allowed himself to focus more on calming Abe than on what she was doing, showing him what memories he could recall of the last time he'd met Rey, her helpfulness when he'd been new to Pandora and completely bewildered. It didn't entirely satisfy Abe, but he seemed content to resign himself to eyeing her sullenly while his claws dug possessively into Jim's shirt.

Maybe not ideal but Jim figured it was the best he was going to get at the moment, and he answered Rey's question a little absently as he pulled his attention away from the bond. "Yeah, it's kind of a pain in the ass sometimes, actually, having someone else in your head all the time. But," he shrugged a little, "I wouldn't trade it." It was probably more beneficial to his mental health than he'd really taken time to appreciate - having a tiny creature potentially echo his every emotional swing more him more conscious of them, of controlling them, good or bad. But that was hardly a conversation to be had with a relative stranger. Or a close friend, in Jim's case.

Instead he cheerfully moved on to the vast topic awaiting them, spreading his arms out in a sweeping gesture at their surroundings while being careful not to dislodge Abe. "This is Pandora. Which I'm sure means nothing to you because it never means anything to anyone who shows up here, even those of us who've traveled the galaxy. I'm not an expert by any means but from what I can tell this place is some...alternate dimension. It sucks people in with those black vines and spits you out here at random, and no one seems to know who's behind it all, why they do it or how they chose what people to bring. Most people just refer to them as the gods of Pandora, which is as likely to be the truth as anything else." Jim's tone was good-naturedly dismissive of the idea of gods, but it worked as well as any other explanation. Gods, aliens, something else entirely...the result was the same, they were all stuck here.

"No one's figured out a way to go back or a way to contact their home universe whatever it may be. Sometimes the vines take people back, but they might bring the same person back all over again. That's what happened to you - I met you before, when I first arrived, but apparently sometime after that the vines took you home again. Don't feel bad, it happened to me too, it's...a weird thing to hear, I get it." He watched her face, cautious of overloading her with information but wanting to make sure she was as equipped as possible for what she had to live with now. "Mostly people just make lives here, find a town to live in, find a job, make the best of the situation."

Rey likes this.