By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box.
Only the box is a world of its own.
We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.
Want to add a quote? Submit them here!
  1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Autumn is here!
    Check out the Season Updates HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Have a nice day, Guest!
    Dismiss Notice

Private put on a happy face

Discussion in 'Cascade Bay' started by Sabrina Spellman, Oct 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Sabrina Spellman

Sabrina Spellman The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina

Race:
    Nephilim
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

September 21st, Y109

It was a beautiful fall day in Cascade Bay. The sun was shining, the air was crisp and just on the edge of cold. Perfect, at least by Sabrina Spellman’s standards, and today she had nothing on her agenda. That made it even better. It was nice to just relax for a change, with no concern about where she should be or what she should be doing. The only thing that could have made it better would have been to have a friend or two for company…but, well, she supposed she couldn’t have everything she wanted.

For the past twenty minutes or so, Sabrina had been people watching from a bench and having a picnic lunch. She was mostly ignored while the townsfolk went about their business, browsing the market stalls or tending their shops. Occasionally, someone gave her a pleasant greeting as they passed by. It wasn’t a meaningful interaction, but it was genuine, and Sabrina couldn’t help but enjoy the sweet ‘small town’ feel that emanated from the area. It reminded her of Greendale, and no matter how much time passed, she still desperately missed her home town.

Sabrina picked a red apple out of her basket and took a bite out of it. She knew she should move on soon and find something else to do. Her first impulse was to visit the library, but on a day as nice as this one, it seemed a shame to go indoors. As she considered the thought, something unusual caught her eye, a sort of…blur, in her peripheral vision. Her head snapped in that direction and she was greeted by a rather confusing sight.

There was a woman walking nearby. She was heading in her direction and would pass her by soon, probably heading to one of the market stalls. There was nothing unusual about that; there were plenty of other people out and about, going about their day in the exact same way. What was out of the ordinary was the subtle shifting of magic about her. Sabrina could have sworn that she glimpsed the woman shrinking, growing shorter and…younger, maybe? Before reverting to the original image. There was no doubt about it. This was some kind of spell.

Magic itself wasn’t a strange occurrence in the Crystal Vales. Normally, Sabrina wouldn’t have batted an eye at witnessing its usage in public. But this…this was different. Unless she was terribly mistaken, Sabrina was sure she had just witnessed a glamour spell at work, and she could think of very few reasons one might be in use that wasn’t nefarious. Why would someone feel the need to conceal their appearance, except to avoid some kind of consequence?

Even as suspicious as she was, Sabrina saw no need to call too much attention to the situation. She could be subtle. So, when the woman was about to pass directly in front of her bench, she spoke up in conversational tones. Loud enough to heard, but not overheard. “Nice glamour. What’s it for?”

@Hazel Levesque

Hazel Levesque likes this.
  2. Hazel Levesque

Hazel Levesque Riordanverse

Race:
    Demigod
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    i'm not choosing one of your paths,
    i'm making one of my own
    [​IMG]
    It wasn't that Hazel liked deception. She was a fairly straight-forward and honest person... At least now that she didn't have to hide that she was dead for well over seventy years or her participation in Alaska. Neither were things she was especially keen to say upon introduction, more-so the latter, but with those things behind her there wasn't much she needed to lie about.Or felt the need to unless it was something innocent like Frank's Christmas present. Even if her magic was deceptive, Hazel was far from deceptive on her own.

That didn't mean deception wasn't sometimes necessary. No one got through Terminus' barriers without him knowing, but sometimes at the tunnel people asked questions about kids running around. Obviously, revealing a Roman training camp was not a couple miles away was not something they could say. Sometimes deception also involved using the mist to get away with something so mortals couldn't pry-- perfectly harmless and necessary. Even now, her usage of illusions was necessary. She'd realized before that the Mist didn't seem to really have a presence in Pandora. Her own control of it was limited to the area directly around her, but for this it was all she needed.

Hazel realized she was still somewhat small for her age and that she was still young. She'd been the youngest throughout the entire Quest of Seven and now she was the youngest Praetor in recent times. At least, on a physical sense and maybe questionably a mental sense... It was strange, but sometimes she felt older than some of the others and yet simultaneously younger. She knew it had to do with her time in the Underworld, but it didn't change one thing: She still looked just a year over than the age she died. Which earned some hassling from the local population. It was a different kind than the one she'd grown up experiencing, but getting told she needed supervision often and the lack of selling to a kid had gotten annoying.

Given she knew approximately 0 adults and was using military-grade training to camp out in the week or so she'd been there, it was just a hassle. Which was now she'd taken to the habit of using her magic to make her appear older. The first time had been jarring-- She did look quite look like her mother, but now she just didn't look in her reflection. For most it seemed to work just fine, but there were some who could see the flickerings between it--

Some like the girl now, it seemed. She stopped in only mild surprise when the girl hailed her. Golden eyes bright as she turned her attention, Hazel shook her head. The other teenager didn't look much older than herself, probably closer to Frank's age, She held a certain maturity even if it was clear she was still young-- She supposed they both did, though perhaps her hiding looked a little more childish to the other. Or suspicious. "Shopping," she offered plainly, her voice not falling from polite.

Even as she answered she released her hold on the illusion. In moments she appeared smaller, younger, but no less in appearance. Her mouth drew into a thin frown of ill-amusement. "Some folk get anxious when a kid visits their store too much," She added, "or start in on questioning where the adults are." The adults is said with something of an undertone of laughable, because there were none, and as if she was adult enough. Not that they knew and not that she was any more adult than by necessity. She'd still be shy and withdrawn if not for New Rome and the responsibilities it had thrust upon her.

Sabrina Spellman likes this.
  3. Sabrina Spellman

Race:
    Nephilim
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

‘Shopping,’ the woman had said, and Sabrina raised her eyebrows. Was that really all that this was about? There had to be more going on here. Maybe she was caught stealing from somewhere around here recently. Something to necessitate hiding her appearance. Before she could pry any further, however, the woman decided to explain, and Sabrina felt the understanding sink in. The illusion faded and the girl underneath that she had only briefly glimpsed came fully into view.

Judging by appearances alone, Sabrina estimated her to be just a bit younger than herself, maybe fourteen or fifteen. Apparently, that year or two made quite the difference, because no one yet had ever questioned Sabrina’s lack of parental care here in Pandora; she had always been free to come and go anywhere she pleased without question. It was the first time she fully considered the plight of those younger than her in this world, because of course they were unlikely to have their parents here with them. What did they do? Did Pandora arrange for foster families, group homes?

“Really?” she questioned, though she didn’t doubt her experience, not for a second. “Well, that’s just dumb. You have just as much right to shop as anyone else.” Shaking her head a little, Sabrina gathered her things and stood from the bench, approaching the girl. “But if that’s how you’ve been treated, I get it. I’d do the same. Sorry for calling you out; I kind of assumed you were, well…up to something worse. Guess I’m no better than the adults, huh?”

Honestly, she really wasn’t. The first thing she wanted to do was ask where the adults were for this girl. If she couldn’t even shop in peace, then she was probably struggling. Did she have a home, or was she roughing it somewhere, homeless? But the girl had already expressed that she was tired of those questions and wanted to avoid them, and Sabrina could respect that. “My name’s Sabrina. Listen, I’m just sixteen, but I guess that passes for ‘adult’ around here. You want some company while you shop? I’ve got nothing going on today.”

4. Hazel Levesque

Race:
    Demigod
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    i'm making one of my own
    [​IMG]
    Hazel is, in a word, sheepish about the whole thing. She'd spent the better part of a year living in a miltary training camp that was mostly teenagers. The adults that were there were at most in their early twenties and sure there were adults in the cities, but by and large teenagers ran and took care of themselves and the entire defensive system of the base. It was absurd to be told that because she was under sixteen that she had to go live in an orphanage. Or that she couldn't take care of herself. Sure, in some ways she was a little out-of-water in that respect, but she was more than capable of living... In a boarding house or some such thing.

Or so she thought.

Cascade Bay and the rest of Pandora had its own regulations, though, and there was little more she could do about just... Trying things on her own than pretending she had some kind of guardian. Which was troublesome in its own right and couldn't last much longer, but at least for now the other teenager didn't seem ready to turn her in or something (what would happen if someone did as much anyway?). "I don't think that makes you worse than the adults," She answered with a shake of her head, "I'm surprised you could see past it, but if I'd seen the same I'd react the same way." The response is soft, smile small and hesitant but warm in its making.

"I'm Hazel," She said by way of introduction, relaxing only slightly. For a kid used to monster attacks and being on alert, it was hard to relax. Pandora might have been calmer, safer than home (especially recently), but meeting strangers was always someething met with a touch of suspicion. "You don't have to," She grappled, sheepishness setting in, "I really don't want to trouble anyone. I was just about done, too, see?" She adjusted the basket on her arm; It was meager, but at least it had some vegetables and bread. It would make her a veggie sandwich for a few days at least.

Sabrina Spellman likes this.
  5. Sabrina Spellman

Race:
    Nephilim
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

The girl was kind. She didn’t have to react so graciously to Sabrina’s interruption to her day, yet she seemed instantly ready to forgive her and even said she would have done the same. Sabrina smiled back at her just as warmly, and again felt an urge to help somehow, to figure out this girl’s situation a little further and try to improve it. For now, she resisted. Better not to push too much just yet. She could almost hear her Aunt Zelda in her ear, scolding her for her near-constant desire to interfere in other people’s lives.

“I’m Sabrina,” she offered back. “It’s nice to meet you, Hazel.” In truth, Hazel still seemed to be a bit on edge. Whether it was the lingering effect of being caught with her illusion, or just discomfort with a social situation, Sabrina couldn’t tell. But she wanted to put her at ease as much as possible, so when Hazel began to reject her offer to accompany her in the shops, she wasn’t entirely sure the right move to make. Should she press forward, with the thought that the girl just didn’t want to put Sabrina through any perceived trouble? Or back off, because maybe Sabrina was pushing herself onto a situation where she wasn’t wanted or needed?

In the end, Sabrina decided to err on the side of being too friendly. She glanced down at the basket of items Hazel had collected thus far and nodded as her eyes raised back to Hazel’s face. “I know I don’t have to. But I mean it, I really have nothing going on today, and to be honest I’m kind of bored. If you’re really done…and you really don’t want company, that’s cool. But I was just about to head over to the shops myself, just to kill some time, so it is absolutely no trouble for me.” With an encouraging smile, she began to head in that direction, turning back halfway to gesture for Hazel to accompany her. If Hazel decided not to…well, Sabrina supposed that meant she’d been too pushy toward the girl.

6. Hazel Levesque

Race:
    Demigod
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    i'm making one of my own
    [​IMG]
    Sabrina introduced herself. Hazel didn't really feel anything malicious about her. She didn't seem like a monster and her concern seemed genuine. Neither did she seem entirely too interested in turning her in. Golden eyes flickered between girl and her basket, not nearly so uncertain as she was cautious anymore. If she hung around for too long people would probably start recognize her from days before. But what else was she supposed to do? Return to her tent and just make sure camp was good? She could do that, but honestly...

Sometimes worrying about the state of things could be just too much. Pressing the basket to her side she shook her head and followed after the older girl. "You window shop for fun?" She inquired by way of joining the conversation, "I thought there was other things you could do around here." Not that she knew, but Pandora was vast. She hadn't spent too much time in Centria or Pandopolis-- definitely not the Wilderness-- but she knew with modern times came more inventions. They had gaming systems and businesses made entirely around entertainment. There had to be other ways to kill time, right? But then, she guessed quickly, that also would cost money.

"Do you live around here, then?" She instead pressed-- Aware it may go unanswered and not too bothered with the fact. It wasn't like she needed to know, it was just conversation.