HeaderBox1

Welcome
to Pandora

By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box. Only the box is a world of its own.

We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.

Spotlight

Story Hub Banner

Want to add a quote? Submit them here!

1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. This beautiful little ranch along with its famous Lon Lon milk are back! Just don't harass the Cuccos. Make sure to visit while it's still here!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. A voice has begun narrating the inner thoughts of the citizens of Pandora! Read more about it here
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Pandora is searching for staff.
    Click here for more information!

Private S.O.S.

Discussion in 'Pandora Town' started by Sara Ryder, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Sara Ryder

Sara Ryder Mass Effect

Prize Cashier
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    Directory:
    link

June 30th

There was a bump on the table. A little defect in the mold that the metal was cast in; right on the edge. Just a tiny little bump. Worn smooth, because other people like her kept touching it. Her thumb gently encircled it, as her eyes focused on nothing in particular. Mind bouncing around more than she would have preferred. A stead-fast confidence would have been super-helpful in that exact moment. Instead, she was having second thoughts. Asking someone for help was probably a giant mistake. Most decisions she made these days seemed to go along those lines.

Good intentions? Yes. Bad outcome? Probably.

She sighed, resting her chin on her hand; thumb continuing to play with the defect in the table.

SAM was...quiet. Really, really quiet. Which made sense. If he used up too much juice, they'd both die. And that would be unfortunate. The whole massive timer deal going on with her life, sort of sucked the fun out of pretty much everything. She'd be relaxing or having a good time, then remember that if she didn't find SAM, none of this would last. It was all temporary. A pressure that was building, until there was nothing.

Sara was so tired of being stressed.
    There was always something, huh? Never a moment of peace in her disaster of a life. She always found little bubbles of happiness. But it felt like the past few...whatever-whatevers were just a screaming shit-storm. She had managed to find a job she liked, only to have her dad sort of ruin everything. Then - with nothing left - he dragged her and her twin brother to another galaxy, leaving everyone and everything behind. Then things got worse and worse. He died, her brother was in a coma, she became the Pathfinder, since her dad decided to give it to her.

Uhg.

Even thinking about it, made Sara just...tired. She wasn't even there anymore. She had died or whatever, and had come to hell. Or Pandora. Honestly had a Purgatory type vibe. Everything surreal and weird. People talking about worlds that very much weren't like hers; be it time period of just...how things worked. Part of her wondered if it was just other planets - but she had heard a few people mention Earth specifically with things that very-much did not go down when she was there. And it was all just...

Weird.

Taking a sip of the weirdest coffee-type-drink on the menu - which basically tasted like a milkshake - Sara lifted her arm to glance at her omni-tool to double check that she was in the right place and time. Which was one-hundred percent her just being on edge. She already knew she was early, and had set the location herself.

It was pretty dumb to be on edge about this. She had literally done things a billion times scarier and harder before. But she was never a fan of asking for help...pretty much ever. Her dad had instilled a need to handle everything on her own, in her. She was a Ryder; a fighter and survivor, or whatever. Admitting she couldn't handle things on her own, was just...difficult. But if she viewed it like assembling a team, it dampened the blow a little. Teams were good. Yeah, her dad had been an Army of One, but Sara was not. She was someone who was used to and typically needed a team.

And this Samus person, may just be what she needed. Another brain and set of eyes to help find SAM, and let her take a damned nap for once in her life.

Samus Aran likes this.
  2. Samus Aran

Samus Aran Metroid

Bounty Hunter
    Race:
    Genetically Altered Human
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good
    As vague as her client's reasoning had been when she had gotten the call, Samus was... as close to excited as she'd allow herself to be. Being paid to do something that wasn't raiding a base or hunting beasts or criminals was rare for her. She actually did like the missions where she body guarded for scientists or archaeologists out in the field, but they were few and far between. Even in Pandora there hadn't been many excuses for her to go looking around the less populated areas, which was why she had joined the STARSX program in the first place. But someone had actually contacted her for help on an exploration trip of some sort, and she didn't even need to hear the details to agree to meet up and discuss it further.

Walking into a normal cafe in broad daylight was still hard to adjust to though. She didn't wear her armor (since apparently that was threatening), though she could summon it in about a second if needed, and her paralyzer pistol was secured in a holster, hidden by the jacket she had thrown over one of the sleeveless tops she owned. A lot of her clothing was kind of simple, and summer gave her an excuse to put even less thought into what she wore. The heat didn't bother her too much, so she wore her usual jean pants and boots.

Almost as soon as she entered the cafe, she could tell who was on edge just by the way they sat and fidgeted. With her hands in her jacket pockets, she walked over to the dark haired younger woman's table.

"Are you Sara Ryder?" she asked.

Sara Ryder likes this.
  3. Sara Ryder

Sara Ryder Mass Effect

Prize Cashier
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    Directory:
    link

Sara's eyes jumped to every person who came into the cafe; idly disappointed when none of them seemed to be Samus. Some dad and his kid that seemed content to use the man like a jungle-gym. An actual cat person (which was cool). Actual triplets; which she always felt like were just twin-one-uppers. Then...a woman. Didn't seem that much older than Sara herself. Blond hair pulled back into a ponytail; her eyes jumping right to Sara.

Well, either that was Samus, or someone was about to try to kill her.
    Hey, maybe both.
    She was still learning the ropes of this ass-backwards place. Maybe hiring someone to help you always started with a battle to the death. Her assorted weaponry, however, was stowed in the back of her closet in her tiny apartment. Didn't...feel good to be carrying a gun around this place. Yeah, it was good to be cautious. Her dad would have yelled if he knew. But he was dead and she was here. Scott would prob do the same as her though; her twin's mind tending to mirror her own more than her father's. So that was a comforting thought at least.

Plus...wasn't like she was totally defenseless. She was a biotic after all. Could throw the tables and chairs with her voodoo space magic (note: not actually voodoo). Create a shield for herself that reflected bullets. Even a mini-black-hole-type-deal to pull things into it. So, while unarmed - she was not defenseless.

Though it was probably a bit over-baring that she was already preparing herself for battle after a single glance. Sara...really needed to chill out. Just too many things had happened at once; leaving her worn out and jittery all at once. She had basically died as a starting point. And honestly that was a shitty starting point. That tacked on with all her other past issues, like her dad dying, brother only recently slipping out of a coma, stress of being a super-under-qualified Pathfinder. Oh, and failing everyone and leading them all into a trap. That was fun. Take all that and throw it on top of SAM dying slowly somewhere in Pandora, and she was a mess. All she wanted to do was relax, but she just couldn't.

If she could just...secure SAM, maybe - just maybe - she could actually sleep for once.

"Unfortunately, yes," Sara greeted with a nod, waving for Samus to join her table, "Samus, right?" she offered a smile - relaxing ever-so-slightly, "So...let's get to business or whatever. Sorry I was so vague with everything. It's just---"

Careful with how much information you share. We do not know if we can trust her, yet.

She paused mid-sentence; annoyed that SAM was choosing to interrupt her. Normally her weird robot butler bff had better sense than that. But with the whole 'low power mode' thing, she was noticing little deviations from his normal behavior.

Like interrupting her while she was talking.
    To people who couldn't hear him.

"Excuse me," she cleared her throat, "In short, I'm looking for something and I don't know where it is. There's..." she hesitated - SAM's words echoing in the back of her head. Or maybe he was just repeating himself, "I'm gonna be honest with ya, Samus. This is gonna sound really-really weird. In...my head, I'm wired to an AI. We're...connected and shit. But he's not actually in my head. He's just got a connection to it. His body is...elsewhere. And I don't know where it is. He...doesn't seem to know either. The kicker is that he's on basically backup power. And...the connection between us? Yeah, if he goes I go."

The fact SAM didn't instantly sass her was...unnerving. But he needed to save power.

"So...you down to scour Pandora for a giant CPU that's apparently shoved somewhere super dry and hot?"

This is how friendships started, right?

Samus Aran likes this.
  4. Samus Aran

Samus Aran Metroid

Bounty Hunter
    Race:
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good
    Samus nodded slightly and sat down across from Sara, already picking up on more signs. it was clear that her client was nervous about what she needed help with, which only made her speculate more on what made this exploration mission this important to her. There was definitely something more complicated going on here.

As Sara explained what she was actually looking for, Samus didn't think it could possibly be too strange. She'd seen more than her fair share of out of the ordinary things, but an AI embedded in someone's head that would kill them if it ran out of battery power? That was...something. Honestly, if there wasn't something physically attached to Sara's head, Samus didn't even have proof that this computer was real. And she wanted her help finding a computer (which may or may not exist) somewhere that's hot and dry. Not much to go off of, though Samus could think of a few places already that'd fit that description.

Sara could just be crazy.... but even if she was, she'd most likely go off on her own if Samus didn't help her, and it'd be irresponsible to let someone run off into potential danger unsupervised. And if she was telling the truth, then leaving someone to possibly die wasn't an option either.

"No offense, but... that seems like the kind of finicky technology that you shouldn't bank your life on," she said, leaning back in her chair and crossing her arms. Using AI to assist in combat wasn't uncommon in her world, but to embed one into your nervous system? That was an unnecessary risk. Her armor was neurally linked to her brain, but it was also easy to remove with a single command. "If you're looking for a CPU out in the middle of nowhere... I could probably track down the signal its giving off with my own scanners," she said, after thinking about it for a little longer. "Especially if you really are connected. I might be able to use you as a starting point."

Sara Ryder likes this.
  5. Sara Ryder

Sara Ryder Mass Effect

Prize Cashier
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    Directory:
    link

A laugh found its way to her lips. It sounded tired, as she rested her chin on her hand - fingers playing with a few strands that had fallen free from her ponytail. Man, Samus nailed it on the head. The idea behind SAM was genius; an AI that was a booster for someone, without fear of the whole Geth deal happening again, because both parties benefited from it. SAM got to learn and develop from Sara's experiences, and Sara got boosted physically - as well as the whole let me scan everything deal. But that weak point, was just way-way-way too big.

"You know, that's very true," it was hard to not sound bitter, since it being shoved into her brain wasn't exactly something she signed up for. One last gift from ol' daddy dearest. She...got what he was saying. He trusted her to finish his job. Get everyone settled in a new galaxy and all that jazz. It was the ultimate sign of trust. Only problem was that she had sorta...failed at it. People with way more experience, waiting for her to fuck up. And man, they were prob thrilled that she walked them all into a major death-trap. Unless they were. Yanno. Dead now.

Like her.

Sara's eyes widened at Samus' thoughts on scanning.
    Was that coffee-thing not sitting well in her stomach?
    No, that was the first glimmer of hope she had felt in...way too long.

"Uh - yeah. That sounds perfect. The signal SAM uses to communicate with me is...well, it uses Quantum Entanglement, so I'm not certain that our bridge will be very scannable. The whole point of that tech was messages that were receivable instantaneously no matter the distance without the ability to intercept them. So...dunno what tech you're working with, but mine is not really far enough along to do much with that. SAM's signal himself...there should be something. He's a giant computer after all. There's gotta be something, right?" she took another drink of her not-coffee, "Before Pandora, he was literally shoved into a large area of a ship. So honestly I don't really know how big he is on his own, or what...he'd even look like. Giant, I imagine," she sighed, feeling the full weight of the situation settle on her shoulders.

The sooner her lost AI was found, the better.

Samus Aran likes this.
  6. Samus Aran

Samus Aran Metroid

Bounty Hunter
    Race:
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good
    At least Sara was taking her possible slow death due to a computer being attached to her vitals well enough. If you didn't laugh at your own shitty circumstances sometimes, you'd cry instead. Crying didn't fix anything, and Samus would rather fix a problem than wallow in it. Her eyebrows raised a bit as quantum entanglement came up. That was a working concept in some world? Impressive...but not trackable with her ship, unfortunately.

"..I think I can say that your tech is beyond mine in terms of communication systems, but all computers give off a form of excess energy or noise unless they're purposely insulated against it." This was something Samus was more comfortable with. "Heat from the processors, sound and electromagnetic waves, discharge from the power cells. If, uh...SAM is out in the middle of nowhere, those kinds of readings will stand out more. If we find the general area where he might be, I can scan for any anomolies and pick him up." Samus was already mapping out places in her head that could hold a large CPU and keep it dry and safe from heat. There were many cave systems and rocky outcrops in the Arid Lands. "I admit, there's still going to be some trial and error involved."

Sara Ryder likes this.