By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box.
Only the box is a world of its own.
We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.
Want to add a quote? Submit them here!
  1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. It's Activity Check Time! November 1-7
    Click here to save your characters!
  3. The new season is here and there's a whole new world to explore!
    Check out the Season Updates HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Pandora is broken.
    Read More Here!
    Dismiss Notice

Salt and Sparks

Discussion in 'Pandora, Year 1 - 7' started by Oerba Yun Fang, May 22, 2018.

1. Oerba Yun Fang

Oerba Yun Fang Final Fantasy

Huntress
    Race:
    L'Cie
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good
    Directory:
    link
    May 3rd, Year 7
    @Amy Wellard
    [Just before noon]

Wood rattled loudly beneath Fang's footfalls as she crossed over the planks bridging the commercial side of town to the residential. Above her, the sun poured down its rays with the full promise of approaching summer; fit as she was, even Fang could feel her sari starting to stick to places she'd rather they didn't. It made her extra glad for the gentle spray of cool water against her ankles, courtesy of the oasis-fed stream rushing below.

Fang liked to think it took more than a little light exercise to make her sweat. Maybe the relative peace of this world was softening her up. Or maybe she'd packed too much into the crate that was gripped between her hands. It had been a real chore trying to fit all that Fang wanted into the thing, but where food was concerned, the Oerban hunter would never cut corners. Especially not food meant to provide much-needed comfort.

It had been mere days after Fang found Amy in that lab coat-wearing bastard's house of vile experiments and brought her back home. Knowing what Fang knew about trauma—peerless skill as a warrior wasn't the only souvenir she'd taken away from all those battles against Cocoon—Amy probably longed for solitude right now, just a quiet space to rest and gather her thoughts. But there was a danger in letting someone stew in their own suffering for too long. Shut away in darkness, sometimes people forgot what the light looked like. Fang would not let Amy face her woes alone.

Also, she wanted to make sure Amy was remembering to eat her meals. And if she was, somewhere in the crate was a couple bottles of fine vintage Fang had been saving for an emergency just like this.

She continued towards the row of small houses up ahead. Once at Amy's place, Fang gladly set the crate down and pushed her hands against her spine, stretching like a cat. Light gleamed off the red end of her lance where it was slung across her back. Maybe it was a little paranoid to be strolling around town armed, but as Fang had learned early on, Pandora could not be trusted to refrain from shoving danger under your roof at inopportune times.

Fang then rapped her fist against the door. "Amy. It's Fang."

Let me in, was the unspoken demand, should Amy try to ignore her.

Amy Wellard likes this.
  2. Amy Wellard

Amy Wellard Shardlight

Mechanic
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    It was probably weird to want to spend her days indoors. Maybe. Amy didn't know. All she knew was, she didn't want to go out. Doing work was a nice distraction, but talking to people, finding out what she had missed. Whatever leaving the house meant, she just didn't want to do it. Instead, she just stayed indoors, tinkering.

Not that she had no reason to stay inside. Spending almost a month without any maintenance, or even moving meant that there was starting to be a bad buildup of sand in Denby's parts. When she'd first turned him back on, he'd found it difficult to even shrink back to his normal size, and the grinding noise while he was trying made it pretty clear that he needed a lot of work done to fix whatever was happening there.

So, Amy dived headfirst into working on Denby. Cleaning him out took meticulous and careful work, since she needed him on and moving to get everything shaken out. So, one wrong move and she was going to get a hand caught somewhere bad. It was actually pretty nice, just having something to get caught up in, when one wrong move brought her too close to a moving gear. Completely by accident, she used her new powers to stop it before it could hurt her and yanked her hand away in terror.

After that happened, eating and sleeping seemed to become an even harder prospect. At first, she thought she was only hearing Fang's voice, since she was that tired or hungry. Denby, concerned for his master, whined and tried to lead her to the door, which Amy wasn't strong enough to stop. When she was pushed to the door, she sighed and tried to school her face into something appearing normal and opened. "Um. Hey."

Oerba Yun Fang likes this.
  3. Oerba Yun Fang

Huntress
    Race:
    L'Cie
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good
    Directory:
    link
    The door stayed closed for a long beat, to the point where Fang started to wonder if she should just let herself in. She'd reached over her shoulder to take up her lance when she finally heard the faint rhythm of footsteps coming from inside. Her hand fell back down to hip level as the door opened.

Amy looked like a minor disaster. The long shadows under her eyes were evidence that she hadn't been sleeping well, if she'd made the attempt at all, and her shoulders sagged like somebody who didn't want to be greeting visitors. She tried to put on a polite face, but Fang had seen that expression on Vanille enough times to know when there was a layer of deep-seeded exhaustion hiding under a smile.

Fang's own smile was as bright as the day. She was genuinely happy, grateful even, that Amy had answered the door. Always a good start. Though maybe she had Denby to thank for that one, seeing him budged up against Amy's legs.

"Hey yourself," she replied. Fang crouched, slipping her fingers into the crate's hand-holes before hauling it up with a quiet grunt. She dipped her chin at its contents. The heady scent of smoked meat and blended spices wafted from the box, sunlight bouncing off bundles wrapped in foil. "I brought lunch."

The way Fang held herself made it clear she was not about to be told to drag her burden back where she'd just come from.

Amy Wellard likes this.
  4. Amy Wellard

Amy Wellard Shardlight

Mechanic
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    Of course Fang was the one to reach out to make sure everything was going well, and smart enough to know without seeing that it wasn't. Amy wasn't all that surprised when she saw the food being offered. It was probably easy to tell that she was going to need some comfort that wasn't working until she passed out.

"That's nice but I-," before she could finish her thought, Denby reared back to bunt his head against her leg again. Oh, so that's the kind of mood he was in, huh? No letting Amy just stew in silence, she had to be social?

Fine.

"Actually, that sounds great," she muttered, opening the door for Fang to enter. The look she shot Denby was a mix of annoyance and fondness, and her voice was a bit sarcastic. She was still to tired to be as deadpan as she wanted, but it was still there to hear.

5. Oerba Yun Fang

Huntress
    Race:
    L'Cie
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good
    Directory:
    link
    By contrast, the look Fang gave Denby was all fondness. Amy was fortunate to have such a good, loyal companion by her side to nudge her into doing the things she didn't want to but really needed. And just seeing the owlbear operational again after he'd spent the greater part of a week in the rangers' headquarters, lifeless in a corner, had Fang's smile widening another inch.

"You're gonna like this," she promised.

Fang stepped past Amy, careful not to clip the doorframe with her lance. As she looked for a sizable flat surface upon which to deposit her cargo, Fang also took note of the state of Amy's house. From the various parts and tools laying about, it looked like she'd at least kept herself busy over the last few days. Whether to catch up on the work she'd missed or just to occupy her mind with thoughts of things besides what had happened, it didn't matter. This was also good, better than dwelling over that room with all the cages. Fang approved.

Once she found a likely table, Fang set the crate down below it, then carefully pushed Amy's belongings to the side before she unloaded the food. The aroma of spice and sweetness strengthened as foil-wrapped plates went onto the table one by one. The wine bottles she set on the end, along with a small pile of packages wrapped in paper. Her lance, Fang leaned against a wall.

"I just got finished with a batch of jerky," she said. Fang nodded at the packages as she fiddled with one of the foil coverings. "Don't worry, I went light on the salt. All yours to keep. There's some dried fruit and nuts there, too." Things that would stay edible for a long time, on the chance Amy decided she wanted to hide from the world for a while.

"And this," Fang declared with a clear note of pride, "I caught yesterday. Junglefowl from our own backyard." She tore the last of the wrapping away. The bird had been smoked to a deep, rich brown, the skin so shiny it looked almost glazed. A still-covered plate of equal size sitting next to it suggested that Fang had brought two of the things. "Traditional Oerban recipe, or as close as I could manage. Pandora doesn't have quite all the right ingredients. I'll allow it, though."

Amy Wellard likes this.
  6. Amy Wellard

Amy Wellard Shardlight

Mechanic
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    Amy's home was about as bare-bones as would be expected from someone who preferred the practical side of life. The place Cagliostro had made for them was extravagant and full of fancy stuff that Amy hadn't cared much about. Once the alchemist was gone, staying in a place so connected to her friend felt uncomfortable, especially in a cave that felt so empty without her. So, she moved somewhere smaller, and as such, barer.

There were chairs around a table, none of which seemed to match one another, but all were surprisingly comfortable. Off to the side was a workbench. It was almost the focal point of the whole room, since it seemed to be the one piece of furniture that got regular use. The table mostly had dirty dishes that were piling up (most of them were from before getting kidnapped, cleaning up sometimes often slipped her mind) along with tools that had been placed there when she finally pulled herself away from work long enough to eat.

The only thing in the room that seemed designed for comfort over practicality was a pillow on the floor up against the wall. The claw marks on it, along with the few toys scattered around made it pretty clear who that belonged to.

All Amy could do while Fang was unpacking the food was stare at it all, a mix of amazement and longing on her face. She didn't have to say a word, her growling stomach said it all, still, she couldn't just stare without forcing herself to say anything.

"Wow. This... this is. A lot. I mean, thanks. Thank you, I don't, you didn't have to."

7. Oerba Yun Fang

Huntress
    Race:
    L'Cie
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good
    Directory:
    link
    The audible growling of Amy's stomach had Fang's smile go crooked. Her eyes twinkled with mirth. "Of course I had to. There's no way I can eat all of this by myself; I'd get too fat to move! Bahamut would mutiny! So you better help me out, got it?"

Fang bent over the crate again. Besides the assortment of food, she'd also brought along utensils necessary for the serving of this feast. Not that she didn't trust Amy to keep knives and forks and plates around, but Fang liked her tools big and extra sharp... and going by the pile of abandoned dishware over there, she'd been right to err on the side of over-preparation anyway.

Amy's portion came together first. There was a generous heap of the smoked junglefowl, of course, but also sides: chopped vegetables in a starchy sauce, piles of still-warm flatbread, a spiced peanut stew. It was all arranged on the table with the mismatched chairs, and Fang motioned for Amy to get started first as she went to grab her own helping.

"Feel free to open one," she added, nodding at the bottles. "I got 'em from Cascade Bay. Worth every pence, or so I'm told. I haven't tried it myself yet though, so maybe you can tell me if it's good at all, or if I should've stuck with the stuff they serve at the Watering Hole." She grinned.

Amy Wellard likes this.
  8. Amy Wellard

Amy Wellard Shardlight

Mechanic
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    Amy wasn't sure what part of the joke did it, but Fang managed to pull a genuine chuckle out of her. "Yeah, that'd be just awful," she muttered. It was a weak attempt at adding to the joke, she knew, but she tried her best.

Despite attempting to sound relaxed and above it all, Amy was, of course, starving and wanted some sort of comfort. Tasty food was such a rarity in her life even before getting to Pandora that something more than the bare-bones (which was all Amy could cook for herself) was enough to get her to demonstrate the more childish side of her personality.

As soon as her plate was served up, she sat down and pulled it close. It smelled so good, and she was about to confirm for herself that the taste fit the rest of its appearance. While she wanted to just tear into the food without any regard for who was around, she wasn't an animal and she didn't want to eat like one. She still ate like it was her last meal on Earth, but carefully, using the utensils as intended and savoring each bite.

She was briefly lost in her own world, just enjoying the food, when Fang reminded her that she was there, and had wine to go with it. Hastily swallowing, she nodded and picked one of the bottles up herself, briefly turning it in her hands out of curiosity. Wine was something she had always associated with the Aristocracy, so drinking it herself made her feel even more like she was being given a feast. "Not like the taste matters much when all you really want is to get a little drunk."

9. Oerba Yun Fang

Huntress
    Race:
    L'Cie
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good
    Directory:
    link
    Fang turned around fully from the table where she was cutting out a chunk of junglefowl to slap onto her own plate. She canted her head sideways, like a dog confused about a noise it had just heard, but she was still smiling.

"What are you saying, missy?" Fang exclaimed with mock horror. "If the part where you get drunk's a given, then of course the taste matters. The taste is the only part that matters after that! What's the point of drinking if you're not going to have fun doing it? What sorry booze did they even have in your world?"

Maybe Fang was teasing a little harder than she needed to, but it was good to see a spark of life coming back to Amy's eyes. It was as if putting real food in front of a zombie had reminded it that it was still very much human on the inside, and that no amount of rotted brains could replace a warm, homecooked meal.

Fang was only sorry she hadn't brought anything for Denby. Then again, what did a half-magic, half-machine critter need food for?

Amy Wellard likes this.
  10. Amy Wellard

Amy Wellard Shardlight

Mechanic
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    For a second, Amy was scared that she had actually offended Fang. After so long capitulating to keep herself from getting hurt more, her instincts told her to start flattering fast, before she was dragged into the backroom. She managed to keep her cool when she remembered that Fang would never join up with someone like the doctor, and the steady feeling of Denby curled up at her feet. Either he knew that something like this was coming, or he just wanted to be nearby in case of scratchies.

So, instead of freaking out, she managed to weakly smile, at least in recognition of the joke. "I'm sure the Aristocracy could afford alcohol that didn't numb your taste buds after one drink, but I sure couldn't. Though, I'll be honest, even now, I'm not sure if that stuff was alcohol, or if I just drank motor oil. They sure tasted the same."

She was probably lucky to even be able to drink once in her life. Most people had to save their money for stuff like food and medicine. The day when Denby (the person, not the owlbear) happened to scavenge some was the only time she ever had the chance. She probably should have asked how old it was, but she supposed it was better not even knowing.

11. Oerba Yun Fang

Huntress
    Race:
    L'Cie
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good
    Directory:
    link
    Fang's face twisted into an expression of disgust. She smacked her lips, as if the mere suggestion of drinking motor oil was putting the taste of it into her mouth.

"Ugh. You poor thing. Well, that's behind you now. We've got some pretty good stuff in Pandora, and apparently what you're holding in your hands is one of the best."

Plate practically overflowing now, Fang returned to the table with a couple of glasses. She slid them over to Amy. "Crack it open and pour me one too, will ya?"

Amy Wellard likes this.
  12. Amy Wellard

Amy Wellard Shardlight

Mechanic
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    A bark of laughter erupted from Amy as Fang seemed disgusted by the mere concept of the alcohol she'd tried in the past. She didn't notice Denby at her feet glancing up and 'smiling' at the sight of her showing some signs of the woman she was before.

"Well, I'd be an idiot not to try some of the best, wouldn't I?" with that, she did as she was instructed and started pouring. She wasn't a bartender or anything, but she had steady hands, so she managed to pour well enough. There was a bit that managed to get on the table instead of the glasses, but only a few drops.

She pushed one of the glasses a little closer to Fang as she placed the bottle back on the table. With that done, she lifted her own and took a sip. Being told it was the best wine in Pandora wasn't enough to really prepare her, since anything that didn't taste like motor oil was always going to be a surprise to her. Still, it was really good, good enough that she had to fight down the urge to just chug it. In the end, she managed a middle-ground between chugging and sipping, gulping enough at once that it was pretty clear what her opinion was.

13. Oerba Yun Fang

Huntress
    Race:
    L'Cie
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good
    Directory:
    link
    The woman behind the counter must not have been exaggerating about her merchandise if this was Amy's reaction. Fang watched her go to work on the wine, bemused. She had a sneaking suspicion that if Amy had been alone, she'd be drinking from that glass like it was filled with water.

"Whoa, take it easy. It's not juice. Well-" Fang amended, looking thoughtful, "I guess it kind of is juice. Juice for grownups." She waved her free hand in Amy's direction, the other about to deliver a forkful of meat into her mouth. "Anyway, make sure you get plenty of food in you to absorb that alcohol."

No point in getting sick, Fang didn't say. Not while she was still recovering from everything that had happened in Silverwood.

There was a minute or two of blissful silence as they simply enjoyed their food. Fang was pleased with how well her efforts had turned out, all considered: procuring the ingredients from the limited selection Pandora had to offer, recalling how to season and cook everything just so without Vanille having to supervise, and then getting Amy to actually eat. Fang had worried the mechanic would just want to be left alone. Maybe she still did, but hunger spoke louder. Good old survival instincts.

Fang sent Amy a small smile. "Everything alright? You can be honest if any of this doesn't agree with your palate. I won't be offended."

Amy Wellard likes this.
  14. Amy Wellard

Amy Wellard Shardlight

Mechanic
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    "Right, right," Amy muttered, putting the glass down to keep herself from going back to it too quickly. It had just been good, and made her feel warm, alive. It wasn't anything like the slop from the lab; the food paste or whatever that just made her feel like a lab rat being given the barest essentials that her body needed in order to be useful. Indulging in something like a fine wine was just so out of the ordinary for her that it was hard to resist, but she was stronger than the siren call.

Instead, she followed Fang's instructions and continued to eat. Once she actually went back to the food, it wasn't hard to ignore the wine again. The meat in particular was just so solid and tasty, as opposed to what she had been eating before getting rescued. It was incredible just how much better a nice meal could make her feel.

Eventually, the food was finished and Fang was asking for her thoughts. While Amy had a very unrefined palate, she still had preferences. She picked up one of the fruit that had been brought to her, a bright green fruit that was sort of an oval but the bottom looked like it had a dent in it. She had only taken a few bites before deciding to put it to the side.

"This one's a bit too sweet. I mean, I like sweet as much as the next girl, but this one is kind of overboard." As she was talking, Denby started to shift around slightly, just to get a more comfortable position. Unfortunately, there was a little bit of his metal skin that hadn't been repaired at that point, so there was enough of a sharp point to dig into Amy's leg without warning.

Amy yelped slightly in surprise, and accidentally let loose her powers. The fruit in her hand was suddenly filled with enough electricity to turn it into a piece of charcoal that Amy quickly dropped. Once it hit the floor, she simply stared at it, quietly.

15. Oerba Yun Fang

Huntress
    Race:
    L'Cie
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good
    Directory:
    link
    Fang just nodded along to Amy's remarks. That particular fruit in her hand was probably better off being squeezed for juice than eaten outright, though Fang personally liked it. Thinking maybe Amy just happened to pick an oddly sweet one out of the bunch, Fang started to reach across the table to try it for herself.

Then there came a loud, crackling pop, and a flash of light stabbing her in the eyes. Startled, Fang lurched backwards, banged her shin on a table leg, and cursed as she half fell, half jumped out of her seat, instinct trying to carry her over to where she'd propped her lance against the wall. But it was apparent very quickly that they were not, in fact, under attack when nothing else happened, leaving Fang to stand confused (and in a little bit of pain) in the middle of the room.

She squinted at the blackened lump on the floor. "That wasn't me," Fang said slowly. Perhaps an obvious statement, but as the resident l'Cie—champion of the gods and all that, with the magic brand on her arm—she just felt it should be said.

But then she saw Amy's face. The other woman didn't look even half as alarmed as Fang did, didn't look alarmed at all. Just... resigned. A sudden jolt of electricity coming out of nowhere hadn't been a surprise to her, somehow.

Fang didn't know what to make of that.

She edged back towards the table, one eye on the fruit as she rounded to Amy's side. Fang reached out to lay a hand on the mechanic's shoulder. "Amy?" she ventured.

Amy Wellard likes this.
  16. Amy Wellard

Amy Wellard Shardlight

Mechanic
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    Amy's powers had been accidentally set off around Denby enough that he didn't have much of a reaction other than moving out from under her legs to get a better view of her. As hard as he tried-- bumping against her leg, poking her, whining softly-- he couldn't get much of a reaction out of her.

She also didn't react to Fang disavowing responsibility. Of course it wasn't her; Amy knew exactly who it was, and the more it happened, the more it hurt. She had never even considered getting powers; she was fine just being a regular mechanic who was good with a crossbow. This whole magic electricity thing was a reminder of something terrible, and it didn't even work right, so why would she be happy about it?!

Once, after getting out, she tried to do something with her powers. Just stared at a toaster, hoping for some reaction, but nothing happened. It was quickly becoming clear to her that she just had no idea what she was doing. Her time in the lab was hazy; she didn't want to remember, and it was hard to work through the exhaustion that clouded her mind at the time. So, she had no idea what she had ever done that made the doctor happy. Just a lot of staring at electronics in her memory.

Her ruminations were interrupted by a hand on her shoulder. She almost flinched, but managed to stop herself before she made a bigger fool of herself. Instead, she simply glanced up, her hands twisting in her lap. "I- that was... I didn't... mean to."

17. Oerba Yun Fang

Huntress
    Race:
    L'Cie
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good
    Directory:
    link
    That. Fang didn't know what to make of that, either.

Her fingers tensed on Amy's shoulders, eyes narrowing as they flicked down to the mechanic's hands. Fang's thoughts felt suddenly sluggish, bogged down like wheels trying to roll out of a pool of muck. There were too many implications to what Amy had just said. She didn't mean to meant that she was able to, in some part. But Amy didn't have magic, right? She would've mentioned it at some point if she had otherworldly powers? Or at least she would've used it on those bloodthirsty ravagers in the Watering Hole all those months ago?

It was the look in Amy's eyes again that clued Fang in—a look of awful resignation and budding fear, a look born of deep trauma. Fang should know; she'd seen it worn plenty on the faces of her fellow warriors back on Gran Pulse after especially disastrous clashes against Cocoon's armies, or when Cocoon's fal'Cie came down yet again to dig up their land, carrying precious resources and screaming villagers back up to the metal planet in the sky. That look on Amy now was so unlike the firmly brave woman Fang had come to know, a woman who didn't flinch from putting crossbow bolts between the eyes of the deserving. It hurt to see.

There could only be one reason for this change. In the back of her mind, Fang cursed and spat on the mad scientist's memory. That facility; the cages; the back room with all the strange machines that did fuck knows what. It was him. It had to be.

She hoped he was roasting in hell.

"Amy." Fang pushed against the mechanic's shoulder, trying to turn her so that she could grasp both of her arms. Fang tried to be gentle, though there was a part of her that wanted to just shake Amy until that scared look fell off like it was nothing but a mask. The hunter's own expression was wide-eyed, her jaw tight, warring between urgency and anger. "This power's from that lab, isn't it? What the hell happened?"

Amy Wellard likes this.
  18. Amy Wellard

Amy Wellard Shardlight

Mechanic
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    Maybe if Amy hadn't been practically starving herself and depriving herself of sleep, she would've been able to fight off the attempts to move her around. She didn't bother, of course, Fang was obviously much stronger than her even on a good day, so trying to mope in peace was not really possible.

She swallowed and shook slightly at the mention of the lab. The only person she'd been talking to about what happened was Denby, and he didn't do much judging. Probably. Well, if he was, he wasn't saying anything. Still, she couldn't just not answer. For one thing, she knew Fang would insist, if nothing else, just because this was crazy and she'd have to know the truth. Also, there wasn't any good lie for what just happened, so the truth was all she had.

With a tight nod, she started to answer, probably giving more than Fang wanted, but she couldn't stop once she started. "I don't... I still have no idea what he was doing, but one time, he just dragged me back there and made me just stare at these electronics for a while. I didn't know what he wanted me to do, so he started threatening the others, and I just got so pissed off. One of them was a kid and he was threatening to inject stuff right into her heart.

"But the more angry I got, something... happened. He never gave me an explanation, but I think I broke the lights in the place. Then he kept bringing me back there, making me do stuff like shock another prisoner, and... and..."

19. Oerba Yun Fang

Huntress
    Race:
    L'Cie
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good
    Directory:
    link
    The details were somehow as vague as details could get. It seemed Amy herself didn't even understand what all had happened, or maybe she didn't want to remember. But despite the horror in her voice, a horror matched by Fang's ever-widening eyes as she listened, Amy kept on talking anyway. The words flowed out like blood from an open wound. And the more she talked, the more distant her gaze became, like Amy's mind was heading back to that prison in the forest even as her body stayed between Fang's hands, wound up like a bowstring.

Fang couldn't take it anymore. The moment Amy's rambling finally began to falter, Fang pulled her in close, wrapping both arms around her friend. She gave Amy a hard squeeze, staying that way, curled protectively around the mechanic as if Fang could shield her from the pain of what that crazed doctor had done.

"Stop." A stern command, but Fang couldn't hold onto its bite for more than that one word. When she continued, her voice came out a weak whisper. "That's enough. I get it. You don't have to say any more... I'm sorry for asking."

It wasn't that Fang didn't want to hear it. No. Fang could listen if she had to; Anima hadn't chosen l'Cie with glass-fragile wills, after all, otherwise Fang would've long gone Cie'th. She just didn't want Amy to have to think about this any more than she already was.

"I didn't know that you... I'm sorry," Fang repeated. Sorry she hadn't realized Amy came out of that facility changed in more ways than just mentally. Sorry that she hadn't tracked Amy down faster. Sorry she'd even left Horizon on that scouting trip while a madman was stealing people away from the town. "But you're safe now. He can't hurt anyone any more."

Amy Wellard likes this.
  20. Amy Wellard

Amy Wellard Shardlight

Mechanic
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    Thinking back, Amy couldn't remember the last time anyone had hugged her. It wasn't for lack of loved ones, but none of her friends were really in the mood to give casual affection. Everyone was a little dirty and the fear of illnesses were strong. Even when you trusted someone with your life, getting too close to a possible illness wasn't anyone's cup of tea. The only hugs she could really remember were her dad's, and didn't that just make too much sense?

So, when the hug began, she stiffened, more out of surprise and confusion than anything else. Hesitantly, she began to loosen up, just slightly. It felt nice, at least. It was a sort of constant affection that was so new to Amy, that she didn't even realize how much she craved it.

"No, it's... you just wanted to know," she muttered into Fang's arm. Hell, if they had switched positions, she knew she would have asked the exact same question. Someone who just suddenly gained powers was a pretty important thing to know more details about.

Part of her wanted to snap that she knew he was gone. She had watched what happened, and she wasn't going to let that happen again. But, it wasn't an insult to her abilities to protect herself, she knew that, and she couldn't pretend it wasn't comforting to hear someone actually say it. Denby was great, but not much in the way of conversation.

"I don't. I don't know what I'm going to do," she admitted, softly. She barely even knew how her powers worked, except that they kept flaring up, so she couldn't just ignore them and pretend she didn't have them.