HeaderBox1

Welcome
to Pandora

By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box. Only the box is a world of its own.

We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.

Want to add a quote? Submit them here!

1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. This beautiful little ranch along with its famous Lon Lon milk are back! Just don't harass the Cuccos. Make sure to visit while it's still here!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. A voice has begun narrating the inner thoughts of the citizens of Pandora! Read more about it here
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Pandora is searching for staff.
    Click here for more information!

Complete Scene Change

Discussion in 'Silverpool' started by Magnus Bane, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Magnus Bane

Magnus Bane The Mortal Instruments

High Warlock of Brooklyn
    Race:
    Warlock
    Directory:
    link
    February 11, Year 7
    @Thomas Sharpe

This was day number 3, and Magnus was now certain that his Service Manager wasn't going to show up for work. One day might be a simple matter of oversleeping, two and perhaps they were sick... but at the three day mark with no phone call and no returned messages, Magnus had to admit that the most likely scenario was that they were gone. It wouldn't be the first time it happened to him here, and he doubted it would be the last. But it was still annoying, and now he had no one to direct that irrational anger towards as he micromanaged several jobs that were not, strictly speaking, anything he had direct experience dealing with.

Not that he couldn't. But he really didn't want to. And the moment he saw Thomas Sharpe walk in for his shift as the receptionist (which, at this point, he was more or less in charge of most of the time), Magnus wondered if the man who was so eager to take on any job when they first met was still that eager to take on extra work. He was more than competent, and honestly, Magnus had no doubts that he could transition to Service Manager with little issue, if he wanted the position.

"Mr. Sharpe, could I speak with you in my office for a moment?" Magnus asked impulsively. Sure, he could have put out a proper add for the position, maybe gone around a few other establishments and tried to snipe a manager from somewhere else instead, but he liked Thomas. And the more Magnus debated getting himself out of the Hotel business entirely, the more he wondered if he might be able to convince the man to take things over in his stead, should he follow through...

But first he'd have to start with this.

Thomas Sharpe likes this.
  2. Thomas Sharpe

Thomas Sharpe Crimson Peak

It was easy to assume the worst when he was called over to speak with Magnus. It was easy to assume the worst when you had nearly had your nose broken on hotel property three days prior and it was easier to assume the worst when you had committed a murder only one day prior because of that incident. No, not because of the broken nose. Because somebody knew too much. Thomas hadn't expected it to feel the way that it had, though there was a certain restlessness to the way he carried out his day because of the fact that she wasn't dead. Somebody else was dead and the intended target was left out there with his face burned into his mind for the day she might decide to talk.

Thomas now had even more to lose than he had three days prior when she had threatened his well-being in this new life of his.

And now Magnus wanted to speak with him in his office, in a capacity that sounded incredibly official. "Of course, Mr. Bane," he had said, a smile on his face that suggested he didn't think anything was wrong at all as he stepped into the other man's office. A face was easy to put on even during the worst of times. He'd had so many years of practice. Inside, though? Inside, Thomas was nervous. Afraid. He knew what Magnus was and although he didn't necessarily understand the things he could do, Thomas knew at the very least that there would be no sweeping what he did under the rug if that was what his employer wished to speak with him about.

"What can I do for you?"

3. Magnus Bane

High Warlock of Brooklyn
    Race:
    Warlock
    Directory:
    link
    Magnus had a momentary reservation remember the incident a few days prior when Thomas left for a break and then came back injured. When Magnus asked he told him that he fell, and Magnus decided to let it go. He didn't believe him for a moment - he'd seen his fair share of fights to know when an injury came from something accidental, and when an injury came from somebody putting all of their force into punching you in the face, but he didn't push the subject.

Could he trust Thomas with a position of more responsibility when he couldn't trust him to be honest about something like that? Magnus wasn't sure, but it wasn't as if he was asking Thomas to be in charge of anything life-or-death - it was mostly organizing schedules and dealing with employee concerns before they reached Magnus. And hell, who would want to admit to getting into a fight during work? It wasn't as if he lied about stealing, or calling out when nothing was wrong and he just wanted to take a day off to see a movie or something. He could've just not come back from whatever happened on his break, but he had. And that was what Magnus chose to stick with.

Once they were in his office Magnus leaned back against his desk, but motioned for Thomas to take a seat if he wanted to. "It seems I've run into a bit of a staffing dilemma. Christine, our Service Manager has.. well, stopped coming to work. I'm assuming she's vanished entirely, I can't seem to contact her at all." He sighed. "It's a tough loss, she was rather good at it. But I can't simply sit around and hope she'll turn back up any longer."

Magnus didn't want him to think that he didn't care about his employees, willing to replace them without a second thought. He tried his best to call her, even showed up at the apartment she listed as her residence here, but nothing.

"What I'm getting at, in my horribly distracted and meandering way, is that I would like to offer the position to you before placing an ad elsewhere." Magnus paused, smiling. "If you were interested. If not, no hard feelings."

4. Thomas Sharpe

A staffing dilemma.

Thomas hadn't quite realized until that moment that he had been holding his breath, and with those two simple words, he found himself able to exhale gently and breathe normally again. Not that it didn't come to him as a surprise given the fact that Magnus had been kind enough to promote him to receptionist only a couple of weeks prior. He hadn't expected something like this for quite awhile.

Still, he could understand why Magnus was as desperate as his was, Thomas' brow furrowing with concern as he listened to his staffing woes. "Mr. Bane, I would be-- I would be honoured, but are you certain? I realize that I haven't been working here for a particularly long time and you have already been so generous."

He suspected 'generous' wasn't necessarily the truth of the matter. There were so few staff here at the Valentino. Perhaps something to do with the hauntings.

5. Magnus Bane

High Warlock of Brooklyn
    Race:
    Warlock
    Directory:
    link
    He had to stop and consider if Thomas had a point. After all, he really hadn't been working here all that long, and while he was probably one of the most naturally adept at the relatively simple work he was given up to this point, it didn't change the fact that he really didn't have experience in these sorts of matters. And if he wasn't sure if he was the right guy for the job then maybe there was something to that.

Perhaps Magnus was playing a bit of favoritism because he liked the guy. Because, given his status from his home world, he could be doing a lot better than a simple receptionist job, and so in that aspect to have a well-spoken, educated man around to be one of the first faces guests saw seemed like a bit of a steal, employee-wise, and part of Magnus figured if he kept him engaged enough he wouldn't go looking for something else... for something better.

"Certain? Honestly, not at all. But, I know you, and I quite like the work you're doing here so far, which is better than I can say about some stranger placing an ad would bring in," Magnus admitted, deciding that being honest would be the best way to go rather than something Thomas might see through as a lie. "But I'm willing to take the gamble if you are. Worst case scenario, you can simply take your old job back if it doesn't work out."

He figured that might make the offer sound a bit safer to accept - with the knowledge that if everything were to crash and burn over the next week or two, Magnus wouldn't simply fire him and kick him out.

6. Thomas Sharpe

He wasn’t certain at all, but Thomas didn’t take that as any sort of slight. He just took that as a man at a loss because his employees continued to vanish, whether they actually meant to or not. People abandoning their jobs without a word was unprofessional, but not something entirely unheard. There was just as likely a possibility, though, that they had been taken from Pandora back to wherever it was they had come from.

That was what people said at least, but nobody really knew where you went.

“Well …” he started, a pleased smile tugging at the corners of his lips. “Who am I to deny an incredibly generous promotion? If you are certain on this gamble of yours, then I would happily take the position of Service Manager.”

7. Magnus Bane

High Warlock of Brooklyn
    Race:
    Warlock
    Directory:
    link
    The warlock realized, in retrospect, that he wasn't exactly phrasing this offer in the most enticing manner. First he admitted it was a move made out of necessity and a hint of desperation rather than actually wanting to put Thomas into the position, and then he went on to add that, more or less, it didn't matter how he did because he could always just get demoted again if it didn't work out.

There were a number of reasons he didn't own a business back home, and this was clearly one of them. But, despite all of that, Thomas seemed to understand the situation for what it was and was just as eager to take advantage of it as Magnus hoped he would be. The smile was encouraging and the words that followed sealed the deal.

"Fantastic. You can start right now if you wanted," Magnus offered. "Obviously I'll go over everything you would need to know that you haven't already experienced at the front desk," he added quickly, just so the poor guy didn't think Magnus was just going to slap a new badge on him and walk away hoping for the best. He was so grateful to have the job accepted that he was willing to wait a few days if he had to, thankful he just had to fill a receptionist spot now instead of a higher position. Those were a dime a dozen, and he was certain he could wrangle some new arrival into the spot within a day or two. "Though if you'd rather wait until tomorrow for a fresh start that's more than fine."

8. Thomas Sharpe

"Today would be no trouble at all," he assured him, gesturing over his shoulder. "Surely you've noticed already, but the hotel has been rather quiet all morning and I haven't had very much to do. So if you have the time to spare ..." He trailed off, dipping his head just slightly in silent agreement to learn the ropes, so to speak, now rather than later.

There was something rather exciting, really, about climbing the ranks. He hadn't been working here for very long, but the hotel had rather a charm to it. Some might have said the same about his family's manor, but there was a vast difference in that Allerdale Hall was dismal and gloomy, and Thomas had never wanted to stay there in the first place.

9. Magnus Bane

High Warlock of Brooklyn
    Race:
    Warlock
    Directory:
    link
    Just as eager as always, which was exactly what Magnus hoped for. "Then we'll start straight away," he said, finishing Thomas' dropped sentence after he trailed off. He hoped that Thomas would take to this as easily as he had everything else he had to learn around the hotel - not that Magnus really minded the extra work to teach a new position, if he did he wouldn't have offered it to him in the first place. But moreso the fact that he still didn't see himself as that sort of hands-on Manager the way one might expect someone in his position to be.

He was much more used to being in charge of a far more self-sufficient group of people back home, not needing to teach or explain, even to the younger warlocks he might find himself around. It might not be the hardest thing in the world to do but it wasn't a role he found himself inherently comfortable in, and one he tried to avoid as much as he could.

But, as he found today, it was entirely unavoidable in much of this position... leading him to wonder, not for the first time, if this was something he really wanted to do forever. He took over the hotel because it was left to him, and because it was lucrative, and because he still had it in his mind that he wouldn't be here forever. That it was just something to pass the time with for a short period... which turned into a much longer period than he anticipated.

...but those were thoughts for another time, when he didn't have more important matters to focus on. "The most important is probably the scheduling..." he began, starting to explain the basics as they walked off towards the front desk to get started.

The End ​