HeaderBox1

Welcome
to Pandora

By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box. Only the box is a world of its own.

We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.

Spotlight

Story Hub Banner

Want to add a quote? Submit them here!

1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. It's Activity Check Time! July 1-7
    Click here to save your characters!
  3. This beautiful little ranch along with its famous Lon Lon milk are back! Just don't harass the Cuccos. Make sure to visit while it's still here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. A voice has begun narrating the inner thoughts of the citizens of Pandora! Read more about it here
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Pandora is searching for staff.
    Click here for more information!

Complete Shower Me In Glitter (and call me princess)

Discussion in 'Residences' started by John Silver, Dec 29, 2017.

1. John Silver

John Silver Black Sails
    No one, from nowhere, belonging to nothing.

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    Directory:
    link

December 31st, Year 7
    @Magnus Bane

It was the night of the ball and John was excited - he had a milion reasons to be, too.
    This would be the first time he'd ever attend such a fancy celebration, the first time he'd dance, the first time he'd dress up, the first time.... well, there were a lot of first times for him here.
    This would also be the first time he'd bother with proper makeup - or rather, that he'd let someone else bother with it for him, even though John heavily doubted Magnus was in any way less excited about this than he was.

He had his concealed suit and with it the mask in a clothes bag draped over his arm, black suit shoes in his hand, silver rings upon his fingers and the nails already painted, a silver necklace was dangling from his neck, disappearing beneath the low-cut shirt he wore. His short curls smelled freshly of green-apples-scented shampoo and he was grinning already, excited for what was to come, hoping but also trusting that Magnus wouldn't mess this up.

Aaron would meet him at the hotel later tonight and John was trying his best not to feel conflicted about all the things Aaron knew now though had never been supposed to know in the first place, the fact that despite everything the other still wanted to go to this damned masquerade with him, still supported him, still -....
    Silver shoved the thoughts aside. He's spend enough hours trying to make sense of why Aaron had not immediately turned his back on him and left that day but it was too exhausting to waste his days just with those thoughts circling in his head over and over.
    Tonight he wouldn't think about any of that.
    He would try to enjoy this celebration - and look dashing doing so.

"Hi, Magnus. Thanks again for doing this for me - there wasn't really anyone else whom I'd trust not to mess it up."

Pulling the warlock into a brief hug upon entering, John took a look around the other's new place which he shared with Alec - it was as stylish and tasteful as was to be expected, but somehow it struck the former sailor as more domestic than their hotel suite had been.

Raphael Santiago likes this.
  2. Magnus Bane

Magnus Bane The Mortal Instruments

High Warlock of Brooklyn
    Race:
    Warlock
    Directory:
    link
    The casual embrace was a greeting that Magnus came to expect from John at this point, so much so that he was already moving forward to greet him with a hug the moment he opened the door. "Save the thanks until I'm done," he suggested with a light laugh. "Come in, make yourself comfortable - here, I can hang that up in the closet until you need it." He said, holding his arm out to take the garment bag which he assumed held John's suit for the night.

"You can take a look around while I get some stuff together - I think we might rearrange some of the furniture now that it's all here but for the most part we're all settled." This was John's first time here since Magnus bought the place over the Christmas holiday and he and Alec spent the week between then and New Years gathering furniture and decorating with little accents here and there. He was sure they'd add more over time, little bits and pieces they saw and liked along the way, but as far as the bigger items were concerned it was fully furnished and ready for public consumption.

"Did you bring anything specific you wanted to use, or are we just working with what I have here?" John saw Magnus' makeup collection before and he already knew exactly how much he had to work with - there was a pretty good chance that anything he had in mind the warlock already had, but that didn't mean he hadn't gone out and bought his own supplies anyway.

John Silver likes this.
  3. John Silver

John Silver Black Sails

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    Directory:
    link

Letting Magnus take his suit, John leaned down to untie his boots just enough to be able to slip out of them and place them aside (no, he was definitely not wearing socks with tiny sailing ship prints - or like, one anyway, his prosthesis didn't need to stay cozy and warm in maritime-themed socks after all), before stepping further into the apartment.
    It was... definitely spacey. John wouldn't know what to make of so much space. But, on the other hand, he's never had even half as much space available for himself.
    If he would ever come to have this much space, he would certainly find a way to make use of it, somehow.
    Maybe he would turn one entire room into a single, large bed full of pillows -..... well, he was allowed to dream, wasn't he?

"It looks great, though I'd be disappointed if anything coming from you wouldn't."

He grinned at the warlock playfully before his eyes returned to the general decor of the new place. It was tamer than the hotel, most likely due to Alec but well... it was nice, there was no denying it. It almost made John a little envious even though he really wasn't the relationship kind of person.

"I only brought this."

Reaching into his pocket he pulled out a small plastic box of blue-green glitter powder.
    "I really liked the color, but hoped it would be okay to use what you've got for the rest. Your collection is way bigger than mine could ever be, after all. Though I like to imagine I am slowly catching up with you concerning nail polish bottles."

Which was true, seeing as his collection of nail polish was steadily growing. There were just so many pretty colors he really wanted to have.

"So what's that like, having your own place with Alec?"

Smiling at the other with genuine curiosity, John handed the warlock the small glitter-container, entrusting it to the other to know what to do with it.

4. Magnus Bane

High Warlock of Brooklyn
    Race:
    Warlock
    Directory:
    link
    There were definitely influences of both he and Alec in the small house. Influences of earthy, neutral tones that Alec so often favored were mixed with splashes of color and accents clearly picked out by Magnus, though for the most part the pair of them had done an exceptional job of finding things right in the middle that both of them enjoyed and could agree upon.

Magnus didn't realize he was actually a little anxious to hear what John thought of the place until he was giving his opinion and the warlock felt a small wave of relief ease his mind when the opinion seemed to be favorable. "Thanks," he said, accepting the compliment without dwelling on it.

Taking the glitter powder from John, Magnus only had to look it over for approximately half a second to already have roughly two dozen ideas of things he owned which would compliment, and even enhance, the beautiful blue-green hues of the glitter. "That's fine, I have plenty here to use," he agreed. Looking down at his own nails as polish was mentioned, he gave a short laugh. "You probably are - I tend to favor my usual darker shades, and I just replace them when I run out. My selections in that particular area are actually a bit lacking, comparatively." Not that he minded. After all, he couldn't have excessive collections of everything after all, and found more value in specializing here and there instead of generalizing across the board.

Which was one of the reasons John came to him for the eye makeup in the first place. It was, very clearly, one of the warlock's strengths. He placed the suit in the closet and made his way into the bathroom attached to the bedroom, rifling through the drawers and closet for a few things he thought would work best. John's question reached him over the rustling of makeup brushes and the shuffling of boxes of eyeshadow pallets.

"It isn't much different from living together at the hotel, really." Magnus admitted. "But it's certainly a lot nicer to have somewhere to come home to that isn't work." That was the biggest draw. The hotel, as nice as it was, was still a place he worked. It felt like he was never truly 'done working' when he lived there.

5. John Silver

John Silver Black Sails

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    Directory:
    link

Not hurrying in following Magnus through the new place, John took his sweet time in taking in as much of the decor as he could see and trying to picture what it would be like to own such a place to share with another.
    The warlock's words reached him from over the sounds of rummaging through boxes or wherever the other kept his makeup.

"I get it - when home is also work it's impossible to really relax and unwind."

Which he knew too well. He had never lived at a place which hadn't also been work in one way or another - be it a ship or the huts on Maroon Island which had been place as much for shared dinners as they had been for meetings concerning warfare strategies.
    But having his own place now, John found himself preferring work regardless.
    Though that was just him being avoidant of....everything.
    Ever since the parrot joined him though he'd spent a bit more time inside, playing with the bird when he didn't get a chance to take it outside with him due to bad weather for instance.

"So what is Alec going to wear tonight?"

It was not even a question anymore for John that Magnus was going with Alec tonight - he didn't know yet that this wouldn't be the case and thus he's actually invested some time into trying to imagine what kind of suit Alec might wear for such an event and just how likely it was for same suit to be entirely black.

6. Magnus Bane

High Warlock of Brooklyn
    Race:
    Warlock
    Directory:
    link
    "And now I can just ignore my phone when I get calls in the middle of the night," he added with a laugh, voice still raised slightly so that John could hear him out in the other room, or the hallway, or wherever he was at the moment. Magnus didn't keep track of where John might wander through the little house - they were decent enough friends by this point that he didn't feel the need to keep an eye on him.

"I lost track of how many times I tried to let something wait until morning just to hear a knock on my door at 11 o'clock." It took Magnus a few minutes to pick out the right shades of what he was looking for among the slightly cluttered jumble of makeup, but that gave John more time to look around the new place anyway. He finally came away with a small pile of what he'd need to do John's eye makeup and turned just in time to catch the question about Alec.

Magnus' face dropped for the briefest moment, an instinctive reaction to the reminder that this wasn't an event he would get to share with his boyfriend. "Ah, he's not. Going, that is." The warlock wore a rueful smile. "He got stuck with the night shift at work. I'm afraid I'll be going stag to this one."

7. John Silver

John Silver Black Sails

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    Directory:
    link

The kind of work Magnus described was not one John was familiar with in that particular way. And it definitely sounded fairly exhausting when one just so happened to be living in the same place, too.
    But John wasn't entirely unfamiliar with it either - just that for him it had been a tad different, of course.

He walked from room to room, taking in the decor and running his fingers along very comfy looking furniture. It reminded him that he had wanted to move to Tavoie Borough for a while now, just that he hadn't yet managed to save up enough money for it. Especially with his expensive... hobby it would probably still take some time until he'd be able to afford a place in that particular part of the town.

"I've never had a door. Back on the ship, when I was Quartermaster, the men came to me with all their concerns. No matter what time of the day. Sometime I've found someone shaking me awake in the middle of the night just to ramble about how much they missed their daughter."

With a soft laugh, John shook his head.
    It wasn't that he was truly complaining. The crew had been his family, he had cared about these people and had never denied assistance or advice when required.
    But it could be tiring to be the one having to take care of everything.

"So I know what that's like. But you have to admit, we both loved our work, otherwise we wouldn't have stuck around for that long, right?"

With a grin still tugging at his lips, the former sailor returned to the living room right in time to see Magnus return.
    He even caught the warlock's sudden drop of face, wondering briefly what might have caused it but receiving the answer just a moment later.

The words surprised him - sure, he didn't know Magnus for awfully long but even those weeks had been enough for John to realize that the warlock and Alec were pretty much inseparable.
    Seeing Magnus go to such a big, fancy event without his partner was odd, and the whole has-to-work excuse didn't seem quite good enough to make up for it either.
    Though of course it wasn't John's place to judge or make assumptions.

"But everything's alright between the two of you?"

There was no way he couldn't have asked.
    Alright. Maybe there was.
    But John wasn't stupid nor blind - he knew how much Alec meant to Magnus, and if there was indeed some trouble between them, John wanted to know of it and make sure that Magnus knew he could talk to him if he needed to.

8. Magnus Bane

High Warlock of Brooklyn
    Race:
    Warlock
    Directory:
    link
    "Never even had a door? Alright, you certainly have me beat there." There was never a time, not even during his stay with the Silent Brothers during his childhood, that he was without even a simple wooden door to keep himself separated from the world around him if he felt like he needed it. Sure, it wasn't as if a door could keep all your troubles out, and it also wasn't as if he was the sort of person to ignore someone who came to his door for help -- but even having the illusion of control over whether he let people in or not was an important one.

But did he love his work here? The work at the library, certainly. But lately he was feeling a little out of touch with the hotel. He took it on because he couldn't say no to the extra expendable income that came with running such a profitable business - and the hotel certainly was profitable - but while he put a lot of himself into the warding and upkeep of it, he had to admit that he didn't care for the work the way The Countess had. He didn't have that same connection to the building. It was easy to stay, and he didn't see himself leaving it any time soon, but perhaps it was time to turn his attentions elsewhere in this world.

But those were not concerns for now. John's question of things between Alec and him caught the warlock off-guard, and his expression registered that confusion before he realized what John was hinting at. "Yes, of course. Everything's fine," Magnus said, perhaps a bit too quickly. "Between you and me, a large group of vampires is... not exactly a setting I would want to drag Alexander into anyway. Shadowhunter instincts are difficult to ignore - he'd never be able to relax there anyway. It's probably for the best." Magnus did feel bad that he hadn't done more to convince Alec to get out of work and come anyway, and wondered if Alec had sensed his hesitation in even inviting him in the first place, not that it was entirely unwarranted given his and Raphael's history.

Raphael Santiago likes this.
  9. John Silver

John Silver Black Sails

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    Directory:
    link

Even though the denial came a touch too quick to be considered genuine, John didn't think Magnus was lying.
    Nothing was ever perfect in a relationship. John might not have had a lot of experience regarding relationships, but he knew that much.
    Things had never been perfect between him and Madi either but it had been alright that way.
    Communicating was an important part of relationships, solving problems together, being there for each other.... John couldn't say he was a good partner, but he knew Magnus was.
    And he didn't need to see him and Alec together all the time to know that.
    So, even if things weren't perfect, as long as there wasn't some serious issue going on, Silver wasn't intending to dig any further.

He's never considered the whole vampire aspect - but, on the other hand, he's never known Shadowhunters even had issues with vampires to begin with.
    Never too late to learn, as it seemed.
    "Well, in that case you still got me and Aaron to keep you entertained, I guess."

There was hardly any information John had shared about Aaron at all. Actually he hadn't shared anything other than the man's name and the fact that they've first met at the bar he worked at.
    It simply hadn't struck him as relevant to mention any more than that - it wasn't like they were dating or something, after all.
    Or maybe John simply didn't want to think too much about the whole dating-possibility to begin with.
    All Magnus knew was that Aaron would be John's company tonight, but that was pretty sparse information, to say the least.

"Bathroom? Since I assume you don't wanna have glitter all over your living room floor?"

Vaguely gesturing towards where he had already found the door to the bathroom, John raised an eyebrow in question, wondering where Magnus would prefer to do all his make-up work.

10. Magnus Bane

High Warlock of Brooklyn
    Race:
    Warlock
    Directory:
    link
    Magnus gave John a small smirk at the mention of Aaron. He knew so very little about the man besides the fact that he was going to the ball with John, and that obvious it was someone John spent a decent amount of time with -- enough so that he invited him to go to a vampire masquerade ball. And that was significant, whether or not John was willing to admit that. "Ah yes, Aaron. I'll be excited to meet your date," he said with just a hint of suggestion, choosing the word intentionally though the implications behind it were up for interpretation.

"But you won't have to worry about me. I know quite a few people going tonight, and I've never been one to shy away from mingling at social events." He didn't want John to feel like he'd have to split his time up between others and him just because he wasn't going there with any one individual to spend the night with. He was sure he'd be able to keep himself occupied.

"Yes, the bathroom is probably best - better lighting in there anyway." Not that it would be much of an issue at a masquerade ball, where he was certain the mysterious air would be slightly less well lit, on top of the masks. But if you were going to do something you might as well do it right, and that went double for makeup.

He walked into the bathroom, paused just a moment, and then with a small motion of his right hand summoned a chair seemingly out of thin air - but a quick look showed it was simply one from the dining room table that he didn't feel like walking over. What good was magic if you didn't abuse it for simple tasks now and again?

"Alright, take a seat. And explain one more time what you want me to do here, so I don't mess it up."

11. John Silver

John Silver Black Sails

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    Directory:
    link

Of course he should have expected Magnus to jump right at that name, as soon as he'd mention it. He should have thought this through first...
    I'll be excited to meet your date
    John rolled his eyes though a smile was tugging at his lips regardless.
    "We're not dating, Magnus."

In all honesty, John wasn't so certain about that at all.
    Hadn't they both awkwardly established that the spaghetti incident had been a date? Had felt like one anyway, despite almost burning down the kitchen, slipping, falling atop of each other and eventually ordering food instead? Well. Fine, it had been chaotic, but had it not been a date?
    Was this a date? Was Aaron his date?
    Those were too many questions for John to even bother considering at the moment, so he shoved them aside, locked them away in a box, and refused to look at them again. He didn't want to know. He didn't want to think about what this might mean.

John followed the warlock into the bathroom, watching with the same childish awe how a chair was summoned out of thin air but being able to do little more than shake his head about that particular occurance. Wonder after wonder, really - John was pretty certain at this point, if he ever got to see the full power of Magnus' magic he'd probably faint or something.
    Still, he lowered himself onto the chair and then nodded, reaching for his phone and skimming through his gallery for a moment before hanging it to Magnus.
    "Something along those lines. Nothing too excessive."

He had conjured up a reference picture he's been looking at a few days ago at home, deciding it would be worth a try.
    Whatever Magnus should make of it, John was pretty certain he wouldn't be disappointed - he trusted the other on that, if nothing then based on the warlock's own skillfully applied makeup; he clearly had more experience than John.
    "Have you managed to make up your mind on what to wear?"

He grinned up at Magnus from where he sat, remembering the warlock having had some issues making up his mind on what outfit to go with.

12. Magnus Bane

High Warlock of Brooklyn
    Race:
    Warlock
    Directory:
    link
    Magnus just smirked a bit in reply, glad that John took the bait of his carefully chosen wording. "No?" He questioned innocently enough. "Well, you two are going together - you don't have to be dating to go as dates." It was a matter of semantics, and honestly, he was just giving John a hard time for the sake of it, because it was fun. The little smile that he got from the other man at his quick denial of his and Aaron's 'dating' status was enough to make the whole set-up worth it.

Waiting for John to take a seat and pull up the reference photo he wanted to use, Magnus glanced from the phone screen to John's face, and then back down at the picture on the phone again. "...are you sure that's going to be enough to show through the mask?" He questioned, clearly with a bit of disbelief that it was enough glitter. Not that anything was ever enough glitter for Magnus, but this was a masquerade, after all, and those were all about being excessive. "How opposed would you be to me adding a bit more flare? Just a teeny, tiny bit more?" Magnus asked as casually as possible, already imagining a much more impressive display of color in shadows and glitter that would make a proper statement, but only if John approved. He didn't want to do anything the other didn't want, after all.

On the subject of his own attire Magnus gave a dramatic sigh, with heaving shoulders and all. "There are just too many wonderful options," he admitted. "But I think I settled on a crimson and black suit that was particularly eye-catching." He had a white and gold option as well, one he was still vaguely toying around with the idea of switching to at the last minute, but he was almost certain his mind was made up.

John Silver likes this.
  13. John Silver

John Silver Black Sails

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    Directory:
    link

Magnus just wouldn't let it be, would he?
    Not that John actually minded much, honestly.
    He wasn't sure himself, after all, and this - this weird teasing about possible dates? - he's never had that before. And he's been the one to say he wanted to experience everything this world had to offer, after all, and if this was part of it? Well, he'd take it.
    With slight amusement he shook his head.
    "The one dat- meeting we had ended in a kitchen fire. He's not my date tonight, he's my company."

Didn't sound nearly as nice as date though.
    Not that John was ever going to admit that, of course.

In fact, he was nervous about this.
    Yes, Aaron hadn't declined to accompany him but back when he's agreed things had been.... different. He hadn't known. And now he did. And John was scared of what that meant, he was scared tonight Aaron would look him in the eye and say he wouldn't waste his time on a goddamn junkie.
    And he wouldn't even be able to blame the man for it, not in the slightest. Christ, he might have done the same - he most likely would have.
    But losing Aaron wasn't something the former sailor thought he could handle. Especially not now.

He pushed the thought aside - there was no sense cracking his skull open about that now. It wouldn't change a thing, he wouldn't know until they actually met.
    So instead he focused on Magnus, arching a doubtful eyebrow at the warlock's comment.
    More glitter? He thought it had been plenty enough already but he wasn't the expert here after all.
    "I trust you on this - but just make it a tiny bit more. I am not aiming for excessive here."

The dramatic sigh that escaped Magnus at the question regarding his attire was somehow one John could very well sympathize with.

A grin tugged at his lips as the warlock voiced the exact same issue John's had regarding the variety of suits to choose from.
    "There truly are. I thought I'd never make up my mind. I'm sure crimson will suit you - but, whom are we kidding, I doubt there is anything out there that doesn't suit you."

One of the most honest statements he's ever made, hands down.

14. Magnus Bane

High Warlock of Brooklyn
    Race:
    Warlock
    Directory:
    link
    "...you set the entire kitchen on fire, and I have somehow yet to hear of this story?" Magnus said, tone one of betrayal. "Well, it's certainly a good thing we have some time to pass while I do all of this," he said, with a vague hand motion at the eye makeup and John's face to imply what 'all this' entailed. "Consider every last detail of that meeting repayment of services rendered." Not that he would actually ask for any form of repayment, not seriously, but if he could use it to guilt some of the juicy details of that encounter out of John then he definitely would.

"Your trust in me will not be let down," Magnus promised, already reaching for an extra brush or two from his collection. "Now just close your eyes and don't open them again until I say to." It wouldn't do to have him blinking in the middle of something, and it was much easier to work without someone wanting to look and see what you just did every two seconds if they had the ability to.

"Oh, you would be surprised at some of the horrendous fashions that occur in the years after your time," Magnus said. "There are plenty of things that don't suit me, through no fault of my own and every fault of poor fashion trends. Like camouflage, and acid wash." He shuddered at the thought, dipping one of the brushes into the eyeshadow and bringing it towards John's face. "Now sit still," he warned, before pressing the soft bristles against the underside of his eye.

John Silver likes this.
  15. John Silver

John Silver Black Sails

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    Directory:
    link

...Alright, he should have seen this coming. Why exactly hadn't he?
    Laughing softly he watched Magnus pick out brushes and whatever else he needed - not like any of these things really meant much to John, honestly.
    "You're right. It's unacceptable that I didn't tell you the story of how I made an utter fool of myself."

The sarcasm was heavy in this one.
    But in all honesty John didn't think he minded telling the other about this particular encounter - the spaghetti date they called it. Christ they even had a name for it. And it included the word date.

Following the warlock's instruction, John closed his eyes, sitting as still as he could.
    The recitings of odd fashion trends didn't wake any images in John's mind - understandably so, he hasn't lived through these times to witness any of that after all, and judging by Magnus' voice that was for the better.
    Not wanting to wake any more terrifying fashion memories in the other and perhaps have him mess up this makeup, the former sailor chose not to ask any further.
    Instead, he decided to provide the story he would surely have no idea getting around anymore now.

"Well, Aaron's invited me over to his place to teach me how to cook some decent spaghetti. In exchange I was supposed to teach him how to mix a few good drinks. I warned him that I am dangerous to have around in the kitchen but he seemed positive it would be fine.

In the end, I managed to set the sauce on fire and he let the noodles boil over while attempting to stop the fire, slipping and falling atop of me."
    Despite everything, the memory still made John smile now. Aaron's expression and the way he's blushed, the panic in his voice and the only partly playfully scolding words when he's spoken a ban of John from his kitchen.
    It was a memory he was fond of. One of the very few.

"We ended up on the floor and Aaron's flatmate walked in just in that moment to check on what was burning and whether we were okay. Said flatmate was highly amused by the view, made a few teasing remarks and saved us from the fire. Then we ordered Chinese instead. I am now officially banned from Aaron's kitchen."

The smile refused to leave. It lingered, making him feel warm at the memory alone.
    John didn't move while Magnus applied the makeup, didn't blink either - he was patient and not the twitchy kind, so the warlock should have easy work with him.

16. Magnus Bane

High Warlock of Brooklyn
    Race:
    Warlock
    Directory:
    link
    He laughed at several points of the story, the summary of events playing out in his head as he went along. Magnus wondered if John knew just how adorably pleased the stubborn smile on his face was as he told the story, grinning from start until well beyond the finish. There was absolutely no hiding the fact that he was fond of Aaron and the times they spent together, however many those may be, if his retelling of this unfortunate spaghetti disaster was any indication.

"You're officially banned from my kitchen as well," Magnus added, not entirely joking.

The whole time John spoke Magnus set in with a base coat of eyeshadows in deep purples and blues and magenta, knowing that the glitter would rest more easily atop an already solidly pigmented foundation, covering for any gaps that might occur or if, throughout the course of the night, some of the glitter should fall away. He loved glitter, that much was no secret, but it could be very fickle, especially around the eyes, even when expertly applied.

With a base layer of color done and blended, he set to work with the glitter itself, impressed with the quality of what John chose and knowing he had a few of his own that would blend nicely with it.

"If he could go through all that and still want to see you again for the Ball, I think you found a keeper." Magnus observed, already ignoring any previous statements against them being a couple at all. As he spoke the brush of the glitter went well above John's eyelid, reaching up to his eyebrows as casually as possible, hoping he wouldn't notice as they talked.

John Silver likes this.
  17. John Silver

John Silver Black Sails

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    Directory:
    link

Despite the considerably rough summary, Magnus seemed to enjoy the story well enough which was always a good sign.
    "If I would have known this story would get me banned from your kitchen I wouldn't have told it."

In fact, retelling this story might very well get him banned from lots of kitchens, now that he came to think about it properly. And that was, perhaps, understandable - still a little unfair, no? Just because he's burned a sauce once.

Whatever Magnus was doing, it didn't feel half as uncomfortable as expected. John didn't know why but he had somehow expected this whole makeup thing to be uncomfortable at least, or perhaps even painful for some reason. It wasn't really either of those things, which was very much appreciated.

I think you found a keeper
    That stupid, stubborn smile returned again though he tried to fight it. There was nothing to smile about. No dating and no promises made, nothing was certain and John hadn't even made up his mind over whether he'd want this even if it were his to have.
    But, he couldn't argue with Magnus. Especially because the warlock didn't know that it had been so much more Aaron's put up with without turning away. So, so much more. Things much worse than a kitchen fire.
    "You're being very optimistic, evidently forgetting what a piece of work I am as a person. I doubt he'd want to stick around, even if we were dating - which we're not."

Why he was so honest about this suddenly Silver really couldn't tell - maybe it simply felt new, in a way. Maybe he simply felt a little lost, not knowing what to do, where to go, how to handle this entire situation in general. And Magnus, what with his centuries of experiences in relationships, certainly had more of a clue how those things were supposed to go, right?

He was torn out of his thoughts when he felt the brush move up much higher than agreed upon. He might not have known much about makeup at all but he was pretty sure the brush was only supposed to go where makeup went.
    "Uhm....are you sure you're not overdoing it a bit with that glitter or whatever you're doing there?"

Maybe it was still some kind of foundation that wouldn't be visible in the end but was yet required for some reason?
    Magnus was mostly only saved by the fact that John's eyes were closed and he couldn't tell what the warlock was doing.

18. Magnus Bane

High Warlock of Brooklyn
    Race:
    Warlock
    Directory:
    link
    Magnus shook his head slowly, even though John couldn't see the action or the very gentle look of good-natured judgment that crossed his features briefly. This was an added benefit to having conversations while the other person couldn't open their eyes - when you did things like sarcastically roll your eye at them, they had no idea.

"See, that's the problem with mortals, if you'll pardon my sweeping generalization. You all waste so much time that you don't have to waste hung up on potential dismissals and ridiculous hypotheticals, and not nearly enough time just trying things to see what might happen." For an entire race of people with such a limited lifespan, Magnus couldn't imagine wanting to shelter oneself from anything that might potentially bring joy. Then again, he didn't understand much of the mundane mindset half of the time.

John, as Magnus imagined he might right around this point, grew vocally concerned that the 'not too much extra' agreement was being ignored. "You said you trusted me, right? Just hold on to that trust. Very tightly. I promise you will not be disappointed." With a very short pause he added, somewhat more comforting, "And if you are disappointed - which you most certainly will not be - I can always take it off and start over. What you actually showed me would take all of 5 minutes. There's plenty of time."

Without missing a beat he continued the steady, sure strokes of the brush along his brow bone, trailing up past the corner of his eye with the varying shades of glitter.

19. John Silver

John Silver Black Sails

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    Directory:
    link

Mortals
    John chuckled in amusement though the warlock's words made sense, in a way. He could definitely see where the other was coming from and it kind of sucked how simple it was to put into words, how right Magnus was about this.
    "Hey, if I could, I'd rather be immortal, too."

Though he laughed softly, it wasn't a lie.
    John was, so very stereotypically for his kind, afraid of death. He didn't want to ever see his life ending and with the events before Pandora, when he's been so very close to dying so often, he especially desired a life that wouldn't end in inevitable death.

But, as for Magnus' argument regarding mortality and potential dismissals....
    "I guess I've made too many bad experiences regarding .... commitment. At some point it just seems like it's better to be safe than sorry, especially when it comes to a situation beyond your own control. Not to mention that relationships tie people down, limit them, in a way."

Too close to the truth, really, but John still easily managed not to delve into any details; he also managed to make the words sound light and casual, but that was one of his best skills, after all.
    Though he doubted Magnus was dumb enough not to get the very simple core of those few vague sentences - that John was simply afraid of commitment, above all else. In any form. Be it romantic or cultural or job-wise. Any form of commitment was not one John wanted to get into.

However, John was also not dumb enough not to realize that whatever Magnus was doing with his face was definitely not what they had agreed upon anymore - the warlock was putting too much effort into trying to reassure him, really.
    But he did trust Magnus and he did like the other's style, so surely, it would be alright. Besides, the warlock was right - if it should really turn out being awful, he could always wash it off.
    With a sigh, John decided to let the other do whatever he was doing for now.
    As long as he didn't end up covering his entire face in glitter, that was.
    "Fine, alright. I'm a supporter of creativity, after all. But please don't overdo it."

He added the last words in the hopes that it wasn't too late for that already.

20. Magnus Bane

High Warlock of Brooklyn
    Race:
    Warlock
    Directory:
    link
    "Immortality is not all it's made out to be," the warlock replied with a tone softer that he intended, just the slightest hint of sadness hidden beneath the heavy words. It was impossible to think about the years he lived without remembering the sheer number of lives lost along the way, the countless deaths of those he cared for. The loves who left him before then, because they couldn't bare the idea of growing old while he remained ever static. He thought of Etta and, not for the first time, wondered how long it would be until Alec came to the same realization, that it wasn't a matter of if but rather when Magnus's immortality would be the thing that would drive away everyone he ever cared about.

Instead of saying any of that, what he said instead was, "...Immortality seems like quite the commitment for someone with commitment issues, you know." With a tone of joking levity that would hopefully counter his moment of distracted introspection. He chose not to comment on relationships limiting people, not just because he was in one, but because he couldn't disagree. But thankfully the makeup was nearing completion, and gave him something else to focus on.

"Me? Overdo something? I would never." Magnus's reply was probably not comforting. John's words, obviously meant as a kind plea to keep things under control, were much too late. Not that Magnus would have heeded them if they came any earlier because he knew what he was doing. The moment the colors were sat out in front of him, the image of the suit and the mask in his mind, he knew exactly what would look best under the delicate cutouts of the black mask. And he was so sure of this mental image conviction that he never hesitated in simply carrying out his own vision.

Which, in all fairness, did start with the picture that John showed him. That picture was copied to perfection on John's face, but it simply wasn't enough to properly complement the look. And with any luck John would see it that way too.

"Alright..." Magnus said slowly, taking a step back and giving John's heavily glittered eyes a careful examination before continuing. "Now, I just want you to keep in mind that this will all be under the mask. Which is very important to remember. Because without the mask it might, perhaps, appear just the slightest bit excessive. Which I assure you it will not be once it is under the mask." He waited for John to open his eyes.

John Silver likes this.