By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box.
Only the box is a world of its own.
We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.
Want to add a quote? Submit them here!
  1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The new season is here and there's a whole new world to explore!
    Check out the Season Updates HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Pandora is broken.
    Read More Here!
    Dismiss Notice

Private Smile of a stranger

Discussion in 'Pandora, Year 1 - 7' started by Magiano, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Magiano

Magiano Young Elites
    Musical Magpie

Musician, Mimik, Thief
    Race:
    Young Elite
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    Directory:
    link
    20th June
    @Maglor

The town, Pandora, he'd ended up in after fleeing Misty Hollow, was even more impressive, bustling with activity. Nothing like the half-deserted places of his homeland, striped of people due to the Blood Fever and the following hunger, the uproars. And still magic everywhere! But having it available every moment didn't made it any more appealing – it was work to sort out the threads, to follow the people that did something interesting and he didn't liked how he was forced to stay in places if he wanted to use a special kind of power he'd noticed. That wasn't fun, bored him and honestly, all he cared for was music. Making others happy.
    Where he'd searched out a well populated place in Kennetra, most he saw around were happy enough, busy doing their things. They didn't needed his play. Not that it would stop him, he hummed along himself while walking around, finally perching himself on top of a low wall, bare feet dangling down. With the nice weather he put of his colorful patched cloak, the simple plain shirt making him less outstanding – well, there were specks of blood on it, but only on the back side, no one would see them from up front. The only showy thing left was his lute, the diamonds on it sparkling in the sun, the gold paint on the strings already worn off from playing, tainting his fingers with golden dust. But it was always easy to put that aside as glass, no one believed them to be real gems.
    Harder even to believe that he could coax a proper sound out of that thing, but this was exactly what he did. Magiano played for himself, not bothering much if anyone stayed and listened, hadn't even thought to put out a hat or something people could donate into. Now it was music and a smile on his lips as he wove an impression of sharing a fire in a starry night, of travelers meeting on a long journey. He didn't sing a note, didn't uttered a sound, but still there was a story behind his free play, unbound by rules of learning or known melodies.

2. Maglor

Maglor Guest

It was a monstrous thing, that lute. Absolutely absurd in it's gaudiness and made specifically to draw attention it itself. How wasn't Maglor meant to notice it, sunlight catching off of the gemstones that encrusted it's sound board and gleaming from it's golden strings as it was? He'd done a double take as he passed by it's player on the street, as though to assure himself that such a....thing could exist.

To add insult to injury, those were indeed real diamonds. The years he'd spent as a child, learning from his father in his workshop assured him of that much as he grew near enough to get a good look at them. Ilúvatar in Eä, why?

As one who was firmly of the opinion that an instrument's beauty was first and foremost found in it's function, and -- perhaps even more importantly -- a being with functioning eyes, the very idea of the lute felt as though it were an attack somehow. And surely the thing couldn't have made anything approaching a decent sound. He knew little of instrument design, yet knew enough to know that it was a delicate balance to create something worth listening to. Call him morbidly curious, yet Maglor couldn't fight the sudden drive within him to find out just how that thing sounded.

Pulling to the side of the road and taking his phone from he pocket it resided in on the side of his harp's case, Maglor paused his music (what a sight he made, and one that could only be found in Pandora: An elvish bard - from his braids to the long layers of his robes and tunic, to the tall boots he wore on his feet -- with a pair of earbuds winding their wires down from his ears) and plucked out one of his headphones, listening.

"This must be some jest..." The elf could't help the words that came almost of their own accord. Be it through the skill of the boy who was playing the damned thing, or through some miracle of sound itself, the music coming out of it was actually good.

Magiano likes this.
  3. Magiano

Magiano Young Elites
    Musical Magpie

Musician, Mimik, Thief
    Race:
    Young Elite
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    Directory:
    link
    Ironically, the boy hadn't even acquired the lute to draw attention, it simply had seemed like the best way to spend a days worth of gambling income. Usually he'd traded or sold it long ago, rotated through lutes as others tried different foods, managing to play with anything that had a corpus and strings. Now he didn't clung to it for the value or the diamonds he loved, but because it was a piece left from his own world. He didn't had any other keepsakes and the other valuables would be gone at some point, did he never manage to keep onto coins or gems too long.
    So he kept the lute, for the music he couldn't live without. Playing made him happy and feeling that kept him in his best state. He'd hum when he walked around, play for himself, for others, simply keeping sound around as a cover against memories and a distraction so he wouldn't get confused too much by watching out for the threads of magic that appeared ever where. They were fine if he wanted to do magic, but it was strenuous to tap into them constantly just because he looked wrong at someone.
    Despite Magiano loosing himself in the story he told with his song, he kept enough of an eye on the street and noticed the man who came by twice in a short time, mustering him – or rather, his lute – and finally stopping. That made him smile, he always took delight if his music could lure someone in to listen, no matter how short. And with so many people around who had their ears stuffed with that strange wires, it was all the more reason for joy if someone decided to try listening to him instead.
    The words made him pause, abrupt stop playing and locking his gaze with the older one.Why...” he asked in a low tone “...would you say that?” His music wasn't some joke or trick, that was sure, no matter how gaudy his lute was, not to speak of the colorful patched cloak he usual would wear in addition. And there were his dreads, grown out of neglected braids, now interwoven with rings of solid gold and silver. But he wouldn't let anyone speak bad about his music, not when he knew that he was good at it, despite never having learned it from a professional, not when it had made people happy more than once.

4. Maglor

Maglor Guest

"Hrmm?" Maglor blinked, only realizing at the moment the young man spoke that he'd actually given his thoughts voice. His eyes widened, breath coming in sharp as the words reached him, and before he could even finish speaking, Maglor was already shaking his head. "Ai, no! That is not at all..."

His words trailed off into a long sigh. Ah excellent, he could not help but think as he attempted to begin again,raking a hand up and back through his hair as he searched for the proper way to phrase it. After all, it was thoughtless words that had found him here in the first place. And would he have not reacted in much the same way to such words? The boy was obviously a musician, and a good one on top of that. Obviously he hardly thought his music was a joke.

"That is to say.." Maglor began, absently winding his headphones around his phone, the movements as drawn out as the spaces between his words as he searched for them, "Your lute looks more to have been made for appearances --" Gaudy flashiness -- "Than sound quality. I...apologize if my words were unthinking, only, I was merely surprised you were able to wring such music from it. You obviously must have much skill."

Magiano likes this.
  5. Magiano

Magiano Young Elites
    Musical Magpie

Musician, Mimik, Thief
    Race:
    Young Elite
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    Directory:
    link
    It was just as well that the stranger hadn't meant it like that, Magiano really hoped so. He wouldn't let anyone talk bad about the way he made his music, not unless he actual played bad – which wasn't ever the case. Maybe it sounded off, different, but that was because he improvised, not because he was bad. Actual no one ever had said his music was bad, it rather had been known across countries, said to be able to lure people off a cliff if he wanted. Which was why there was a slight frown on his face and he took the words serious.
    But he wasn't one easy to anger and waited patient for an explanation, perched on the wall and fixing his yellow eyes on the older one. Listening. The slightly dark expression on his face changed to something defensive, like a child who knew it had done something wrong. He hugged his lute protective, as if it meant the other would take it away. “I like it” His gaze wandered to the diamonds, sparkling in the sun. Well, maybe he was right. A bit. If it wouldn't have been for the gambling profit he'd made that day, it probably would have been a less fancy lute.
    “And it's the only one I have.” The only thing left from his home, making him all the more clingy. Not because it were diamonds and he couldn't keep away from them. “As for skill... well, people say I'm good, but then again most who listen don't know that much about music. Do you?” After years of self-teaching while in constant hiding it might be time to learn some things he didn't know. It wouldn't hurt anyway and the other seemed to know a fair bit about instruments and their sound.

6. Maglor

Maglor Guest

The expression on the boy's face changed quickly as Maglor explained himself, from that initial shadow just hinting at anger that had fallen over his features, to something much more resembling that same childish defiance that he'd often seen upon Elros's face, and he clung to the lute insisting that he liked it and that in any case it was the only one he had. Maglor raised a brow at this, once more turning his gaae back towards the lute in all of it's glittering ostentatious. His eyes flickered across it for a moment, before he sighed, shaking his head.

"Well then," He replied, "Then that is what matters, is it not? Certainly, if I were in your position, " And he motioned towards the young man with his phone for a moment, before reaching back and sipping it into a pocket on his harp's case, "I would not allow the opinions of a know-nothing stranger to guide me."

He shrugged, leaning up against the wall the boy had perched himself upon, a flicker of a smirk just touching his lips. "That said, while I know little of you, I have been told that I can play...fairly well" He pulled at the leather strap slung over his shoulder, lifting his harp up far enough for the boy to see. Hesitating for a moment as he let the instument settle back onto his shoulder, he motioned for the boy's lute. "May I?" He asked, "you have my word, I will not harm it."

#6 Maglor, Jul 10, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2018
    Magiano likes this.
  7. Magiano

Magiano Young Elites
    Musical Magpie

Musician, Mimik, Thief
    Race:
    Young Elite
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    Directory:
    link
    From the way the other looked at his lute suspicious, sighting and shaking his head, told him enough about his opinion about it. Which didn't change a thing for the boy. This was his instrument, his decision and while he'd like to try something different or change it again the option hadn't presented itself yet. So it was the sparkling lute – and he couldn't say that he didn't liked the diamonds – or no music and that really wasn't an option. Magiano couldn't remember at which point music hat gotten into his life in that way, but now it was a part of him.
    He tilted his head at the indication that if he cared, some strangers opinion shouldn't matter, considering the words. Well, he had his reasons and was about to voice them when the other got over and showed his harp. The boys eyes lit up with admiration for a fellow musician and his instrument, clearly interested and excited. With him sitting on the wall, the older one leaning against it, they could talk better, weren't far from each other. It was only the slight distance to dangers and the bustle of the street that had drawn him up here, out of the habit to keep his identity secret. Seen from far away, it was easier to mistake a face and the small indications for an malfetto.
    Despite not knowing each other, he handed over the lute, careful that it wouldn't get dropped, albeit wincing a bit as the movement stretched a recently broken-up patch of skin near his shoulder, staining his shirt with another small speck of blood. Nothing you'd see if he didn't turned around and he still kept a smile on. “Sure. You'd regret it to hurt her” No threat but just as serious. “I'm called Magiano – as for the caring about others opinions, I never got taught how to play, so I take my guesses from the reactions of the people listening.” For that he clearly had some skill at hand.

8. Maglor

Maglor Guest

Maglor eyed the boy -- Magiano, he called himself -- unable but to notice the wince that strained at his features, even as he still attempted to cover it with a smile. The corners of the elf's lips twiched downwards slightly, brows just beginning to knit with concern. Still he said nothing, however, merely taking the lute carefully into his own hands.

Testing out a few chords on the instrument to get a feel for it, Maglor nodded. "A star shines upon the Hour of our Meeting, Magiano." He murmured half-distractedly, "I am called Maglor." He fell silent again, testing out another few notes, before suddenly breaking out into a spinning reel upon the lute. Smirking to himself he nodded, before handing the instrument back to the boy. "You are self taught?" He asked, brows raising as he did so, visibly impressed. "Then you have even more skill than I give you credit for."

Magiano likes this.
  9. Magiano

Magiano Young Elites
    Musical Magpie

Musician, Mimik, Thief
    Race:
    Young Elite
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    Directory:
    link
    There was reason to be concerned at the display of pain, slight as it was. Pain never meant anything good and he knew that his wound was a serious thing, too big to be treated by himself. But it was a weakness too, did he had a hard time opening up to talk about the why, was it even harder to let someone get near enough to touch it, after the cause for it was people peeling off his skin for no reason at all. With that big a trauma the reason it was no surprise that it wouldn't heal right, especially in this place. To avoid further damage he'd have to stop moving at all and that wasn't likely to happen.
    But he didn't let that keep him from music, listening with a smile to Maglor testing out his lute, noting his greeting – it was a nice phrase, reminding him of a story of his home. Not one made up by him, but one of the older ones, about the gods and the angels and their lives full of magic. Magic that was now his too, allowing him to compose from a whole new point of view. Careful he took his instrument back, placing it secure in the pack for the moment.
    “There was no one left to teach me after the Bloodfever” Nothing unusual, with that many adults dead, businesses crippled by losing the masters of the art or their best workers. “I was traveling around with a group of others – they only had an old lute, but no one to play with. We took turns trying every evening and when it was my place, they decided I should stick to it for the rest of the journey. After that, I started getting my own instrument, doing it for the joy it brought others. Learning in the progress.” Hadn't even been that long since he started, just after he fled from the priests. Mastering music like this in a short time frame, with nothing but the critics from unskilled listeners to rule out mistakes, was an achievement he didn't thought about much. Music just fitted him, that was all.