HeaderBox1

Welcome
to Pandora

By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box. Only the box is a world of its own.

We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.

Spotlight

Story Hub Banner

Want to add a quote? Submit them here!

1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Elevated high above Pandora Town is the futuristic, whimsical Orbit City. Make sure to visit while it's still here!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Exact doppelgangers of Pandora citizens are appearing out of nowhere, seemingly at random. Read more about it here
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Pandora is searching for staff.
    Click here for more information!

Private Sparring Practice

Discussion in 'Myrtle Beach and the Shimmering Sea' started by Derek Hale, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Derek Hale

Derek Hale Teen Wolf

NOV. 12
    Early Morning
    @Stiles Stilinski

Derek wasn't entirely sure how well this was going to go over, but he'd agreed to help Stiles learn to fight a bit better. A baseball bat was all well and good against some things, but there were other situations where that just wasn't going to cut it. A Stiles who could protect himself was a Stiles who could stay alive and even help out more, which Derek thought might do the kid some good.

He'd suggested a day they could both meet, and after working out the details they'd agreed on an earlier time to start. It would hopefully give them the whole day, if they needed it, to start out. Derek wasn't actually entirely sure where to start with a human. It was one thing to teach a werewolf or another supernatural creature how to fight, but it was quite another to work with a squishy human. He'd had to sit down and think about the best approach and even after a whole night of brainstorming by himself he wasn't sure this was the best approach.

Guess we'll see really soon, he thought to himself. Flashing a smirk at the other man, he stretched, cracked his neck and took a defensive stance. "All right. First thing - I want you to hit me. Well, try to hit me." He wanted to see what Stiles knew and try to work on his footwork, his reaction time, and the like. Once they'd done that and he was sure the other man could follow along, they'd start working on ways for Stiles to avoid attacks, take advantage of spotted weaknesses, and also knowing when to just cut and run.

Not every fight had to be won, after all. Though Derek had to admit he hated losing and retreating, sometimes it was better to save your hide than take a worse beating [or risk being killed]. He was also going to show Stiles ways to anticipate things that supernatural creatures might do, and ways to strengthen his mind against attacks, but the biggest thing right now was just the basics of anticipating attacks and using your opponent's strengths in such a way they turned to weaknesses. Unfortunately, that meant outlining ways for Stiles to turn his strengths against him, and he wasn't entirely sure how much he liked the idea of the kid kicking his ass, but they had to start somewhere.

----

OOC: Let me know if you need/want anything changed!

Stiles Stilinski likes this.
  2. Stiles Stilinski

Stiles Stilinski Teen Wolf

Helper at Daye Investigations
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    Actually training with Derek was...a bit of a surprise. Stiles had stopped meeting Lexa back in spring, before that thing with the Nogitsune happened. He’d sent to her an apology about not being able to continue the sessions—since he got a job and it’d be better to be near Pandora Town in case shit hit the fan.

So, he kept in touch with Derek and they decided to train now. For some reason, in first week of November, Stiles had like, the worst nightmares of his entire life. He had no idea if it was because of the fox, or if it was something else, but they stopped after the 8th. It had really sucked since it reminded him of how the Nogitsune had first messed with him, but things were cool now.

It was early morning, and while he definitely wasn’t a morning person, he made an effort. Stiles was warming up by the beach like about fifteen minutes—he remembered Lexa said it was best to be prepared, in case he pulled a muscle—when Derek arrived. He finished stretching and cracked his knuckles when Derek told him to hit him.

Stiles snorted, “I was half expecting you were going to quote the Fight Club. You know? ‘I want you to hit me as hard as you can’?”

“So, I don’t use my bat, right?” As soon as he spoke those words, he quickly moved towards Derek and aimed to punch him in the abdomen. That was a sneaky move, but he wanted to see if he could get the element of surprise on him, to see a surprised look. Derek was a werewolf and he was human, so he had to be quick on his feet if he wanted to beat someone.

----------------
    OOC: It's great! No worries here. xD

#2 Stiles Stilinski, Dec 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    Derek Hale likes this.
  3. Derek Hale

Derek Hale Teen Wolf

He couldn't help but chuckle in response to Stiles' quip about Fight Club. He would have said something, but Stiles kept talking and the werewolf picked up on a sudden tensing of muscles as Stiles moved toward him. It almost caught him off guard, and he only just managed to step back enough to avoid being slugged in the gut.

Derek laughed. "Not bad. Element of surprise is one of the things I wanted to work with you on." He quirked an eyebrow at the other man, took up a stance again, and gestured for Stiles to come at him again. "If you want to catch somebody like me by surprise you'll have to move suddenly without any tensing or other indication that you're doing so. It's tricky, but you've got a tell we can spot, otherwise."

This much talking was weird for Derek. He was the quiet sort, preferring to watch others from a distance, or only offering words when it was necessary. Many said he was a broody bastard. He supposed he couldn't really deny that, but he preferred to think of it as being the strong silent type though.

"Right. Anyway, while you're looking for openings, one of the best things you can do is feint - act like you're doing one thing and then do something else entirely. Or carry through with a second attack they're not expecting after dodging the first."

4. Stiles Stilinski

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    Stiles should have expected that Derek was gonna outmaneuver him—he was a grown werewolf, a born werewolf and Stiles was just human. A possessed human, but still a human.

“Nobody expects the squishy human,” Stiles said with a smirk as he took a stance and tried to punch Derek again before he missed again. “So, how can you tell? Is it because of my shoulders or something? Or can you smell it? Scott told me that werewolves can smell emotions too.” He hadn’t expected that, to be honest, though it was useful. You could tell if someone was afraid or not and react accordingly.

Derek then mentioned about the ‘feint’, which Stiles was pretty sure he didn’t mean faint. Stiles frowned before he quickly went for a punch, knowing that Derek would dodge it before aiming for the werewolf’s shins with a kick.

Derek Hale likes this.
  5. Derek Hale

Derek Hale Teen Wolf

Though Stiles was missing him, he was doing a good job with his footwork and trying to be unpredictable. That could be the difference between getting out alive and dying. He snorted at Stiles' jest, but kept his eyes on the younger man as he asked questions.

"It's partially a smell thing, yeah. But it's also how you move your shoulders - they tense up and some people square them a bit, how you space your feet, and how you breathe." Kid was good, and while he'd been talking another punch was aimed his way. The kick, while expected, was fast enough, and he'd been enough off guard explaining things. He grunted and hopped back as it connected.

Not bad. Not bad at all. He gave a nod of approval. "Good start. Following through like that can sometimes catch somebody off guard. The other thing you can do is act like you're gonna go one way, fake them out, and then completely reverse and do a different punch or kick. Or hit, if you've got some kind of weapon."

None of his moves were anything other than blocks or dodges. He wanted Stiles to get a bit more confident and manage to connect a hit or two more before he added in anything else. This was a really good start though. "Best thing you can do is be two steps ahead, and always have a plan B and maybe a plan C if something goes wrong. You may not be as fast, but with some quick thinking you could outsmart somebody."

He was talking a lot more than he liked, but he needed to guide Stiles through the ropes, and talking him through things seemed easier than just giving short answers and criticizing - which would get them nowhere. Still, it was hard not to have a quick jab here and there, as was customary for their interactions.

6. Stiles Stilinski

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    “Aha!” Stiles exclaimed when he managed to hit Derek’s shins. Hearing about fighting stances was actually, pretty interesting.

So, he listened. He listened as he would send some punches and some kicks, while Derek would dodge or block or get hits. Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat. “So, it’s best to have strategies and back up plans. Yeah, I get that. But...but how do you prepare a plan B and C, if you don’t know what your opponent is? Like, what if they are supernatural but they look normal?”

He did a feint attack, moving for a kick before rolling to the side and tried to catch Derek from behind. “Vampires got speed, wizards got magic and Faes got...how do you prepare for something like that?”

Derek Hale likes this.
  7. Derek Hale

Derek Hale Teen Wolf

Derek couldn't help the grin that'd slipped past his guard when Stiles had reacted to getting him. He was glad the kid was listening. He didn't want to repeat himself and knew he'd get grumpy if he had to. He wasn't very good at the whole patience thing, so teaching things wasn't his strong suit. That said, he was willing to try for the other man's sake.

A few more hits connected, generally when he was too focused on talking to fully pay attention to what choice Stiles had made, but once he fell silent, his focus increased greatly. "Yep. Always want to be ahead of your enemy. Good to know them too, and how they'll behave and attack, but that isn't always possible." The question about how to properly prepare was a good one. One he didn't have a one-size-fits-all solution for.

Before he could answer though, Stiles tried out some of the advice given. While Derek was able to guess some of his plan, he wasn't able to figure out the direction til the last minute and so the attack connected, earning a grunt and him stumbling for a moment before righting himself and whirling to face the younger man. "Good job with that." He nodded in approval.

"Unfortunately, there'll be times where you find that your opponent is something entirely other than what they appeared. Could be they're supernatural when you thought they were normal. Or it could be that they're a different kind of supernatural than what you anticipated. First thing you can do is test the waters, see if you can still hold your own. If there's certain types that are common, it'd probably be best to carry things that they're weak to or that will drive them off. Gives you an advantage. Not always possible, but you know." He gave a shrug. This was way more talking than he wanted to do.

"I'm not overly familiar with the various types we didn't have back home, so there's a shit ton here I'm as clueless as you on. No experience means I'd be going in blind. What I do in that situation is what I told you. Test the waters, see how they respond. And if I'm in over my head? Run like hell. Better to retreat and regroup than to die." Blunt, but to the point and necessary to be said.