By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box.
Only the box is a world of its own.
We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.
Want to add a quote? Submit them here!
  1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Autumn is here!
    Check out the Season Updates HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Have a nice day, Guest!
    Dismiss Notice

[SPOILERS] Rogue One

Discussion in 'Fandom Discussion' started by Siri, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Siri

Siri je suis loser
    Application Division

ROGUE ONE SPOILERY TALK

hello friends i just crawled out of bed and the first thing imma do is to stream of consciousness about this movie \o/

UNDER DA CUT

LET US KNOW HOW YOU GUYS FEEL IF YOU'VE SEEN IT, FRIENDS <333

Steel, Nic, Karakkan and 5 others like this.
  2. Sid

Sid Guest

I alone loudly applauded when Vader slaughtered all those rebels and people looked at me like I'm weird. A girl was crying when we walked out. Wtf. Like we didn't get to know anyone who died well enough to cry over their death.

Tarkin is a boss. Would've been complete with the full Furious 7 ending with a montage of him being a supreme piece of shit.

Nic, Siri and Fleet like this.
  3. Ice

Ice Guest

I don't know how to feel about it. Some of my friends have said they thought it was better than episode VII, but I disagree.

Let me start by saying, I enjoyed the movie. It was not a waste of money to go see it. Seeing the story of how the Rebels came in possession of the Death Star plans was great.

But for 80% of the movie, I found myself really bored. I wasn't very fond of Jyn. I thought her acting could've been better and her character didn't have much of a personality. The rest of the characters were cute, but lacked the charm that some of the extras in VII had (i. e. Phasma, Maz Kanata, Unkar Plutt).

However, for the last 25 minutes or so of Rogue One, when we finally got to all the action (VADER!!!) the movie was still pretty predictable (the Cassian saving Jyn thing) but finally became captivating and interesting. The ending was my favorite part.

Final remarks... Rogue One was not Episode VII, and I didn't go into the theater expecting it to be. While it's definitely valuable for its lore, reflecting on its quality as a movie as a whole - especially being a Star Wars movie: it was only alright. Not exceptional. Would I recommend someone to see it? Only if they've seen other Star Wars movies first. It definitely wouldn't be a good introduction to the franchise.

This is all just my opinion, of course. And despite all that I said above, I am still going to see it a second time today. :)

Librus, Ophelia, Lana and 4 others like this.
  4. HighSidhe

HighSidhe Guest

I went into this movie expecting everyone to die at the end, because if they hadn't obviously they would have been in A New Hope, so it made sense that any characters introduced probably weren't long for the world. It didn't stop me from getting a little teary-eyed with some of the deaths, especially the Space Ninja and his Partner in Crime, as well the android. I will say, however, that it's probably telling that I spent the entire movie calling them by various nicknames because I couldn't actually remember any of their names.

For me, this movie is the first movie set in the Star Wars universe that actually felt like a Star Wars movie since the original trilogy. Don't get me wrong, I love the prequel trilogy, but they don't give me a sense of nostalgia like this one did. It felt like I could jump straight from it to A New Hope and not get whiplash from the change of style.

Plus I adore the space ninja. I don't even remember his name, but he was definitely my favorite character in the movie.

After the original trilogy, this one is definitely my favorite. I just wish, like a lot of people, that we could have gotten to know the characters a little more, because most of their deaths didn't have much of an impact.

Also I made a lot of Firefly jokes.

Steel, Lana and Siri like this.
  5. Chen

Chen Player

My thoughts are this is really one of the best out of the trilogy's I've seen because it really does what some of the best episodes of Clone Wars did, Focused on the war, it didn't bog down with the politics of the rebellion or have multiple ten minute scenes all focusing on a bunch of people yelling at eachother and when it did have a scene where everyone delegated stuff it actually moved along the plot and had to do with the war. And it never tried pulling a plot that we know would end up going nowhere because we've watched the other movies, like some of the inferior clone wars episodes like the one where Padme tries to make peace with the Sepratists, because they're not all bad and don't like corruption in the Republic an- ooops nope her friends dead, war's still raging who saw that coming, moving on. No it actually did stuff that made sense to forward a plot and didn't just sink into it's a war movie so let's go into every inch of how the politics of this galaxy go.

And the grey area stuff for the rebels is done great with really the first thing we see a rebel do is kill an informant so he can't be interrogated and we don't think oh wow he's a dick, it's understandable as to why they have to do that to the poor guy. And then later when Jyn tries to say he's no better than a stormtrooper for following orders even ones he may not like Cass does call her out on that bullshit because yeah war makes you do some shifty things to try and survive and to stop a tyrant but thinking you just walk away with your hands clean or only have to follow orders that won't hurt your conscience yeah it isn't how war works. And I really like that they don't take a cynical and snobbish approach of Grey Areas have to be avoided during war because no most of war is grey even against something like the Empire or the Nazi's. But in the end yeah these characters are't given that big of archs but that's kinda the thing with war movies, yeah you'll get a group of soldiers to follow but really the main focus is the mission not the people who did them. Like you see with Admiral WInston Fishface Churchill he doesn't say any sort of prayer for Jyn or Cass in particular, he just says it for all of Rogue One for all the people they lost. And that's the big thing about this movie's plot, it's much bigger than any of these soldiers and is exactly why they're willing to make this death run into this base. And speaking of the bases.

The environments look gorgeous Like it does the whole best part is they have a lot of color for the most part, like the starting planet is mostly grey but still has foliage in spots to make it that you're not just staring at the same damn colors over and over which was kinda my problem with a lot of the prequel locations. Geonosis, it's red, even the damn filter on the light is red, Coruscant it's literally all just buildings, all just greyish tan buildings and it's not even like Blade Runner style where it's got all these billboards and lights going on it's just plain buildings with the same speeders going on by, Felucia, look at all this greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen just green. But this had areas like the base at the end where you had a vast ocean that wasn't just a single solid color of blue it had different shades and depths, green jungle, sandy beaches, brightly lit hallways, dark dank rusted interiors, and that bitchin as hell mordor lava mansion Vader has and all of them look amazing.. I'm with Siri on the CGI Tarkin, he was pretty good all around although I don't remember him being a fucking giant like this movie makes it out to be.

Vader is great and his scenes are done really well with just reminding people he isn't just a hunk of grr ahh dark side, he is genuinely sinister and has his own dark sense of human and presence, that man makes a pun while forcing shut a man's windpipe with his mind for the love of God. And really the movie does make you see the depth of these people dying, each one is just sudden but not without dignity. Especially Jyn and Cass who, well they win, they literally won the day and got what they needed but they're still going to die, not from wounds or anything just from something they can't escape. And that's a really great scene just two people who trust eachother as comrades wanting to just hold each other so they're not alone in their final seconds, it's a really powerful scene no matter what. All in all I'll say this is one of the best movies I've scene out of the series so far in fact this is one of the best war movies I've seen it really is just A Saving Private Ryan but set in star wars there's even similar scenes in it like The AT-AT being blown up by the X-Wings. I really liked this movie a whole hell of a lot.

6. Karakkan

Karakkan Guest

Did anyone else feel like the space battle/dogfighting had something different to it? Like, more weight, impact, something along those lines? I can't put a finger on what it is especially, but there's definitely something that made them all stand out compared to the movies.

ALSO THE HAMMERHEAD! My love for the KOTOR-era of Star Wars paid off with that scene, I was practically squealing when I saw that ship and immediately knew it as the same class of ship as the Endar Spire/Harbinger from KOTOR 1/2.

Pleasantly surprised that they actually killed everyone. Right up until the end I was holding out hope that Jynn would survive and end up changing her name to Jan Ors (actually misheard it the first time, also fanboyed to heck and back), so we could eventually get some Kyle Katarn all up in the movie canon. But I like the way they went with it. A fight no one was escaping from, a necessary mission that was doomed from the start.

Personally I'd rank it up there with the OT, maybe even higher once I see it a few more times. Definitely feels like one of those movies that'll get better the more you watch it.

Scary dad joke Vader 11/10

Steel, Lana, Siri and 1 other person like this.
  7. HighSidhe

HighSidhe Guest

YES THIS. That was one of my biggest gripes was that most of the planets they visited, the entire planet was one environment and therefore one color. Also, a lot of the cgi was pretty without being the over-the-top and overpowering everything.

I didn't actually like CGI!Tarkin. His face moved weird. It was distracting. And the Darth Vader scenes were amazing, although man his costume was something else. It looked like something he bought for Halloween from Wal-Mart. Actually, most of the Emperial officer uniforms, especially the white ones, seemed a bit fake.

8. Duck

Duck shia le beowulf

Alignment:
    True Neutral
    I don't have a whole lot to add, other than it's on par with ESB in terms of my favorite movie of the fandom. Yes.

Karakkan, Lana and Siri like this.
  9. Ursiel

Ursiel Avid Writer

Astrophysicist (probably)
    Race:
    Human (maybe)
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Evil
    This movie is up there among my favorites in the franchise, though it's not the best. I don't really feel like going into some long rant about it, but I enjoyed it a great deal. The few gripes I had were minimal at best and didn't really detract from the overall story imo. The only part I absolutely did not like was Leia's CGI at the end. It just looks... Weird. Tarkin seemed okay, but it seems like they formed Leia out of playdoh or something. That and I thought Jyn Erso was a little weak as a main character. I felt the other characters were much more compelling and that's a shame. Also I think Donnie Yen was just absolutely, unequivocally, the best part of the movie. >_>

I am one with the force.
    The force is with me.

Steel, Chen, Lana and 2 others like this.
  10. Chen

Chen Player

I loved Donnie Yen and his character could have easily been just a Jedi just the blind Jedi trope we've seen in dozens of EU books, comics, and games but he wasn't they just kept him as a holy man and didn't shove a jedi character into a war movie where they really wouldn't have fit.

Steel likes this.
  11. SnowyHeart

SnowyHeart Guest

Man I just loved this movie guys

Meetra Surik likes this.
  12. Ophelia

Ophelia a commie DC fan dreaming of a guy called George

studying stuff
    Race:
    a human
    This wasn't just one of my favorite Star Wars movies( i love the prequels, no shame, but Rogue One felt more in line with the OT while keeping some good parts of the prequels LIKE MORAL AMBIGUITY ) but it was a goddamn good Disney movie. I was the bitter ex fan for so long what with the direction the company was taking by making lots of brain dead, souless movies that glorify conformism( i know many disagree with me but hey, thats muuuuuuuh opinioooooon) but this movie really gave me hope. It had some flaaaaaaaaaws but there was thought in the script, i love how the Rebels, the Extremists and the Empire were portrayed, kudos for the diverse cast, the film making was quite good and far, far better than whatever Abrahams thinks he is doing, IS IT OKAY FOR ME TO BELIEVE CANNIBAL DUDE MADE THE DEATH STAR WITH THE GEONOSIANS??? #truefanswon'tforgetattackoftheclones

good movie. had heart. heart is important. cried FOR SPACE NINJA'S BUDDY HE DIED BC HE WANTED TO BE REUNITED WITH SPACE NINJA IN THE FORCE RIGHT?

those cameos tho

take notes JJ Abrahams, thats how you Star Wars

#12 Ophelia, Dec 28, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    Steel likes this.
  13. Sid

Sid Guest

How much more epic is the ending now

14. Librus

Librus Player

Worse thing about Rogue One? Tarkin was painfully obviously CGI. I couldn't look at him without think "what is wrong with your face, dude. You should get that checked."

The best part? Hehe. Vader made a funny. XD

Steel likes this.
  15. Steel

Steel ✧・゚: *✧・゚* we are starstuff *・゚✧*:・゚✧
    Community Relations Division

The Wolf King
    Race:
    Knight Radiant
    Alignment:
    True Neutral
    "Be careful not to choke on your aspirations, Director."

[​IMG]

Darth Vader, pls.

Honestly, while I loved The Force Awakens, Rogue One was heavier, darker, and I enjoyed that. I feel like in TFA they just glossed over some things (like, I'll honestly never be over how Finn was so shocked over his fellow Stormtrooper dying, and then being so chill with killing people afterwards, it's my biggest pet peeve in the movie). In RO, at least, you see the characters doing morally bad things, such as Cassian, but it's portrayed as war changing you, molding you into what you have to be. It's not just brushed off, there's a shock to it, a weight that makes you think, "Well, shit."

I agree with Librus and Ursiel, Tarkin and Leia were both very obviously CGI and it bugged me, but on the other hand I think it would have bugged me even more if Tarkin had been recast, so I can live with some uncanny valley territory.

I also really loved how Cassian and Jyn didn't wind up becoming romantically involved. Their embrace at the end was absolutely perfect from a "Well, at least we're not dying alone," standpoint. It felt more emotional to me because they bonded over their journey together.

Some of the humor was honestly cringey, but everything that came out of K2 and Chirrut's mouths was solid gold. The slapstick humor really suited them, and can we just agree that Chirrut and Baze were such a married couple? Even if you don't ship it? God, I got so upset when Baze pretty much just killed himself rather than live without Chirrut, all my creys.

I do agree with most of you that I would have liked more embellishment/explanation on some of the characters and their backgrounds, but I can also sort of live with this snapshot we got, seeing as this was marketed as "a Star Wars story" from the get-go so clearly there's no time to see more, but yeah...

It was a good movie. I'd definitely give money to watch it again. And honestly, it was much better than some of the prequel movies. From a politics/warfront standpoint, I also liked it much better than TFA. Though in TFA I fell in love more easily with the characters, so... we'll have to see how the new trilogy goes, I suppose!

Here, have a pic of my space baes to wrap all this rambling up!

[​IMG]

Fleet and Librus like this.
  16. Librus

Librus Player

Alright, I finally figured out why I'm so conflicted about this movie. The two things I said above are true. Tarkin CGI was just... No. Probably because I'm sensitive about that stuff but just no. And I do love pretty much everything with Vader in it. And the movie was mostly really good with the exception of a boring part at the beginning of the movie. But I'm just so bitter. I'm bitter that I'll never know anything about these characters. I'm bitter that they handed us great concepts like the guardian acolytes and than took them away in the same movie. I'm just plain bitter about this whole movie even though I liked it. I don't know if I'm the only one that had that problem. But there it is my friends. My confession. I am a bitter fanboy.